PDA

View Full Version : Brodie Moles

Jasper
20-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm very confident that Brodie Moles will make an impact for Williamstown this season and if he gets the chance he would slot into the senior side easily. Hes strong got pace and has plenty of footy smarts and skills and I wouldnt be surprised to see him upgraded during the season if an injury happens.
Keep an eye on him because he can seriously play.

The Coon Dog
20-01-2010, 09:59 PM
There was a practice match of sorts last Friday & he was close to the best player.

boydogs
20-01-2010, 11:27 PM
There was a practice match of sorts last Friday & he was close to the best player.

WB or Willy?

The Coon Dog
20-01-2010, 11:36 PM
WB or Willy?

Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
20-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Remember seeing him play in Tassie when he was younger and thought he showed a bit of dash back then so hopefully he can go on with it. Having that VFL experience playing against bigger bodies seems to be an advantage to the slightly older rookies.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Interesting. How did he go for Geelong VFL? Not the easiest senior side to break into, but then again, neither will ours. It's always good to have depth though but if he's going to slot into our 22 then he's going to have to bring something different to the table. We've got plenty of inside mids and a tagger in Picken.

Where do we see Moles potentially playing? Is he capable (as an example) of running down the wings and hitting targets?

The NAB Cup will be important for a lot of our mature/fringe players.

Before I Die
20-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I suspect Moles will only offer depth in the same way as Callan does. He spent two years on the Cats rookie list, including last year when he apparently had a stellar year at VFL level. They chose to cut him rather than promote him and nobody else chose to put him on a main list. We only rookied him and it sounds like it was a smart move because of the depth he brings if one of our mid-fielders gets a long term injury. I hope he makes it but I think some posters are getting carried away in other threads (not you Jasper, your post is very measured) touting him as the Eagleton replacement.

The practice match form sounds great, it appears that he has no intention of being left wondering with regard to the opportunity the Dogs have given him.

The Coon Dog
15-02-2010, 09:51 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I suspect Moles will only offer depth in the same way as Callan does.

Is one NAB Cup match too early to change your mind? ;)

chef
15-02-2010, 09:54 PM
His ball handling in the wet was phenomenal.

AndrewP6
15-02-2010, 09:59 PM
He was pretty good in that game, but I'll reserve judgment for now.

The Adelaide Connection
16-02-2010, 12:45 AM
His ball handling in the wet was phenomenal.

Easily the best on the ground in this area. Perhaps lots of gametime down at the shittiest, wettest, windiest place in the world (rather than the comfort of the Dome) has something to do with this.

chef
16-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Easily the best on the ground in this area. Perhaps lots of gametime down at the shittiest, wettest, windiest place in the world (rather than the comfort of the Dome) has something to do with this.

I thought the same thing. And he's a Tassie boy.

Mantis
16-02-2010, 08:59 AM

If this was the case our players who spend time at Williamstown would have the best ball handling skills.

Go_Dogs
16-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Good Point

Whilst it is a good point, I think it's also fair to say that some players are more suited to wet weather conditions than others. (General statement I know).

Moles, as a mature-age rookie, has the body size and confidence in his body that perhaps some of our other younger players don't have. As he's on the rookie list he also needs to make every post a winner, and as such is probably putting a bit more on the line when attacking each contest.

Will be interesting to see how he looks in better conditions where we can evaluate his foot skills a bit more intently, hopefully under some decent pressure from more quality opposition. Either way, he looked very assured out there and certainly looks like the type of player we should elevate to the senior list at our earliest opportunity.

dog town
16-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Sounds stupid but I think good midfielders pick it up just as well in the wet as in the dry. Sure it is a bit slippery but the ball skids straight and if your technique is right and you body line the ball its really only going to go straight into your hands. The good inside midfielders would love testing out things like that in those conditions.

Moles looked good but we will learn more as we go. Good start though.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-02-2010, 08:48 PM
The knock on him seemed to be his disposal. So far from what I've seen in the intra club game and on Sunday, his foot skills are pretty good.

Hawthorn will be a good test though.

LostDoggy
16-02-2010, 10:10 PM
The knock on him seemed to be his disposal. So far from what I've seen in the intra club game and on Sunday, his foot skills are pretty good.

Hawthorn will be a good test though.

Good call. The Hawks will test his ability even further and if his skills stand up again he will be a mighty back up.

GVGjr
16-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Will be interesting to see how he looks in better conditions where we can evaluate his foot skills a bit more intently, hopefully under some decent pressure from more quality opposition. Either way, he looked very assured out there and certainly looks like the type of player we should elevate to the senior list at our earliest opportunity.

It's always a great test to see how players like him perform against some of the better sides. Does he have the pace and will his kicking skills still be as solid in a higher quality game? I think he will do OK but the few times I have seen him he does look like he could play some senior games if required.

anfo27
16-02-2010, 10:51 PM
The NAB game was the first time i have seen him play and my first impression was this kid can really play. He seemed to be able to handle the conditions better than everyone else and what impressed me the most was his decision making, he seemed to take the right options.

It is early days and i look forward to seeing more of him but i think we have found a player.

LostDoggy
17-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I would want to see how his pace compares to seasoned mid-fielders in the dry. If he's up to the mark on that issue, he has a future.

The Coon Dog
20-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Moles finds grass greener

By Jennifer Witham 7:16 PM Fri 19 February, 2010

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images_bulldogs/2010%20player%20pics/MOLES_Andrew_246b.jpg

BULLDOG rookie Brodie Moles was almost headed back to a life as a greenkeeper and part-time footballer at the end of last season.

After spending two years on Geelong's rookie list for just two pre-season matches, he was delisted at the end of the Cats' campaign.

Article in full...
(http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/89717/default.aspx)