PDA

View Full Version : Intra Club Practice Match - 6 Feb

The Coon Dog
22-01-2010, 09:34 AM
When: Saturday 6 February
Where: Whitten Oval
Time: 10am

Date & time is subject to change depending on weather, so please check the club's website beforehand.

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2009/news/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/88842/default.aspx)

Rocco Jones
31-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I was about to create a thread about same topic.

Is anyone else ridiculously excited by this? Watching footy again + A lot of Bulldogs players + Whitten Oval + can't lose= joy.

Go Team Blue by the way. Team Blue 4 life!

jazzadogs
31-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Too right I can't wait. East meets West day whet the appetite, now I need another fix. And after this, only a week til the NAB Cup.

AND Supercoach/Dreamteam starting up tomorrow. Life is good.

comrade
31-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Go Team Blue by the way. Team Blue 4 life!

Team Red is gonna smash you up.

Unless Boumann is on Team Blue - if so, go Team Blue.

Bulldog Joe
31-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Just happen to be flying in Saturday morning. Looks like Whitten Oval will be first destination.

Rocco Jones
31-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Team Red is gonna smash you up.

Unless Boumann is on Team Blue - if so, go Team Blue.

Whatever! I'm going to listen to Eifel 65's 'I'm Blue' to psyche me up. I'm Blue, If I were Red I would die etc.

Unless Stack is on Team Red- if so, go Team Red.

comrade
31-01-2010, 09:43 PM
I see your Eifel 65 and raise you with Split Enz "I see Red".

The Coon Dog
31-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Is anyone else ridiculously excited by this? Watching footy again + A lot of Bulldogs players + Whitten Oval + can't lose= joy.

Very excited, be great if the Hyde Street Band made an appearance (Boom, boom, boom - boom, boom, boom).

Rocco Jones
31-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Very excited, be great if the Hyde Street Band made an appearance (Boom, boom, boom - boom, boom, boom).

Brilliant idea. We should make it a recreate the Whitten Oval experience day. We should resurrect Scragger. If we can't bring one of the Scragger incarnations to life, I will settle for calling Butch 'Scragger' for the day.

Rocco Jones
31-01-2010, 09:54 PM
I see your Eifel 65 and raise you with Split Enz "I see Red".

We are the royal blues,
we are the old dark royal blues.
We're the team that never lets you down,
we're one of only two teams from Footscray town.

etc.

Sockeye Salmon
31-01-2010, 11:57 PM
These games are almost always 'probables v possibles' which leads to a 20 goal blowout every year.

I would like to see one team with our best backline and the other with our best forward line and both teams have evenly selected midfields.

Lake v Hall
Williams v Murphy
Morris v Hahn
Hargrave v Johnson
Harbrow v Akermanis
Gilbee v Hill

Hudson v Roughead
Cooney v Picken
Gia v Moles
Wood v Griffen

Jones v Boumann
Grant v Markovic
Stack v Addison

Ozza
01-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Sounds like a plan from Saturday morning!

Twodogs
01-02-2010, 05:37 PM
We are the royal blues,
we are the old dark royal blues.
We're the team that never lets you down,
we're one of only two teams from Footscray town.

etc.

That's the funniest thing I've read this year!

LostDoggy
01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Exciting times my fellow Dog lovers. Im hopeing to get down to the practice match, ive never been to the Whitten Oval and i think its about time i did :)

The Coon Dog
03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
A few players won't play on Saturday.

Howard, Reid, Tiller, Eagleton & Minson are all still recovering.

Daniels tweaked a hammy at training, Harbrow's leg's a little sore so he may miss as a precaution.

Some players will play a quarter, others a half as they ease into it.

Swoop
03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
TCD, does this mean we shouldn't read too much into Higgins, Hall & Hudson leaving the track early last week? Imparticular there was talk that Higgins may have done something minor to his hamstring as he was seen reaching for it as he came off.

The Coon Dog
03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
TCD, does this mean we shouldn't read too much into Higgins, Hall & Hudson leaving the track early last week? Imparticular there was talk that Higgins may have done something minor to his hamstring as he was seen reaching for it as he came off.

I don't know to be honest. I reckon they may all see some action.

dogman
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I went pass this morning for about half an hour, Higgins and Hudson trained solidly and didn't hold back, so seem ok. I didn't see Hall out there tough.

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Never been to one to one of these. I'll be there

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Exciting times my fellow Dog lovers. Im hopeing to get down to the practice match, ive never been to the Whitten Oval and i think its about time i did :)

Say hi to the biggest mohawk there on the day and he'll point out some of his favourite moments and their locations if you'd like.:)
I'm sure that many here could tell a few!;)

The Bulldogs Bite
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Is Williams alright? He left the track just as I got there last week and didn't return.

Can't wait to see some footy again. Really looking forward to the next few months prior to the season beginning. Lot of players have an opportunity to cement a spot including Everitt, Stack, Wood, Moles, Markovic etc.

Bring it on.

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Red? Blue? What about the white?
As I fall asleep tomorrow night.
Give the spikes another run? Don't know.
Or put the full fan proudly out on show?
As I finally, dreamily, dream with delight.

LostDoggy
04-02-2010, 07:03 PM
Source: westernbulldogs.com.au

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will get their first glimpse of Barry Hall in full flight on Saturday when the burly forward lines up in an intra-club match at Whitten Oval.

Hall, 32, is expected to play at least a half of the game after overcoming post-season ankle problems.

"We've been doing a fair bit over the past few weeks and he's joined in with that but when you get the umpires in, it gets a little bit more fair dinkum," assistant coach Paul Williams told westernbulldogs.com.au on Thursday.

"It's going to be good to see how he moves out there."

Skipper Brad Johnson will be one of roughly seven players to miss the hit-out with the club keen to limit his workload ahead of the season proper.

He will be joined on the sidelines by fellow veteran Nathan Eagleton, who is recovering from knee surgery, and Will Minson, who is still troubled by a toe complaint.

Minson's absence means young gun Jordan Roughead will start in the centre against experienced ruckman Ben Hudson, who will play despite an injury scare at training last week.

Draftees Jason Tutt, Lukas Markovic and Shane Thorne will all be on display, as will rookie-listed players Brodie Moles, Matthew Panos, Patrick Rose and Andrew Hooper.

Hooper's involvement will be restricted by his continued recovery from a finger injury, while Sam Reid (groin), Stephen Tiller (groin), first-round selection Christian Howard (hip) and former basketballer Eddie Prato will miss altogether.

Jason Akermanis will play at least a half though young ruckman Ayce Cordy's game time will be limited in his return from a quad problem.

Robert Murphy and Dale Morris will line up after progressing from post-season injuries and Shaun Higgins has overcome the hamstring spasm suffered at training last Friday.

Williams said it was unlikely the scratch match would feature any experimental play.

"We're more about making sure the synergy of the groups are OK," he said.

"We're not going to play probables against possibles. It's going to be two even sides with senior players on both sides so everyone can have a really good hit-out."

Weather permitting, the match will start at 10am.

Bazza vs Brian - bring it on

chef
04-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Bazza vs Brian - bring it on

Or Hall vs Mulligan.

The Pie Man
05-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Haven't been to an intra-club match in years, looking forward to this one

divvydan
05-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Let's hope we don't call it off because of bad weather :p

Ozza
05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
By the sounds of it - a fair few WOOFers will be down there. I'm looking fwd to watching the boys go round. Should I expect the Bulldog shop to be open?

GVGjr
05-02-2010, 11:04 AM
By the sounds of it - a fair few WOOFers will be down there. I'm looking fwd to watching the boys go round. Should I expect the Bulldog shop to be open?

It's open every Saturday so based on last year there will be extra staff and it will probably stay open a bit longer.

Go_Dogs
05-02-2010, 12:03 PM

My sis who is living over in Melb now just emailed me and said it's raining cats and dogs, but humid as hell! Doesn't sound like great footy weather. Hopefully it turns around before tomorrow.

The Coon Dog
05-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Carlton did.

Mantis
05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Carlton did.

They obviously didn't want to miss out on the happy hour on down the road.

ledge
05-02-2010, 12:38 PM
A game called off because of rain?
Its a winter sport and not like its real horrid weather either.
Yeah yeah I know..but injuries etc...
Not too long ago this was a good day for footy.

Greystache
05-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Carlton did.

I heard they called it off because they felt they couldn't win it.

The Coon Dog
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
There has been a hold up with the playing jumpers arriving from KooGa, so i think players tomorrow will wear red & blue training jumpers without numbers. :(

Greystache
05-02-2010, 01:06 PM
There has been a hold up with the playing jumpers arriving from KooGa, so i think players tomorrow will wear red & blue training jumpers without numbers. :(

Gee we're getting late in proceedings to not have playing jumpers yet, the sponsorship with KooGa was signed months ago.

Was it going to be blue home jumpers vs white away jumpers TCD?

The Pie Man
05-02-2010, 01:06 PM

Nice one :D

I think the weather will turn ok by tonight and hopefully the ground will have dried out a fair bit by 10 am tomorrow.

The Coon Dog
05-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Was it going to be blue home jumpers vs white away jumpers TCD?

You could be right.

Twodogs
05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
My sis who is living over in Melb now just emailed me and said it's raining cats and dogs, but humid as hell! Doesn't sound like great footy weather. Hopefully it turns around before tomorrow.

It's not raining cats and dogs but the drizzle has been fairly constant all day. It's certainly not humid at all, well not as humid as it normally is at this time of year.

With Carlton calling off their game I can kind of understand it. The grounds are like concrete ATM and with a little bit of rain they'd be fairly slippery and dangerous. They still look like gooses though.

LostDoggy
05-02-2010, 01:59 PM
They still look like gooses though.

Carlton is full of gooses:D

jitboy
05-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Carlton did.

So big Setanta didn't get to dust off his boots this year?

So the warning about being called off due to bad weather, I assume that means rain only? Wasn't last year's intraclub played out in heat and strong wind?

KT31
05-02-2010, 03:05 PM

Like it.:D

LostDoggy
05-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Is there more parking at the club yet? Last time I went I could only see limited parking near the Bulldog central store.

divvydan
05-02-2010, 06:25 PM
There is a small amount of parking but would expect car spaces to be filled up pretty quickly

LostDoggy
05-02-2010, 07:15 PM
The prelim finals training was packed, I just managed to get a park in the back carpark..going early this time is prob the go.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Red team: Callan, Lake, Markovic, Wood, Williams, Cross, Roughhead, griffen, Boyd, Ward
Moles, Stack, Murphy, Panos, Hall, Rose

White team: Aker, Jones, Grant, Higgins, Hahn, Hill, Hudson, Picken, Cooney, Everitt, Addison, Gilbee
Boymann, Mulligan, Tutt

bench Corfu hooper Morris hargrave thorne

top up players kovac Hodgkin cusack svarc

G-Mo77
06-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I was actually going to drive down and take a look.

Sadly I slept in......

Swoop
06-02-2010, 12:55 PM
The calm before the storm....looking forward to hearing reports as unfortunately I could not make it down this morning.

The Coon Dog
06-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Goalkickers: 3 Panos, 2 Griffen, 2 Hall, 2 Grant, 2 Hahn, 2 Giansiracusa, 1 Ward, 1 Rose, 1 Jones, 1 Hill, 1 Hudson, 1 Gilbee, 1 Cooney

Brodie Moles was very impressive, would expect him to play in the NAB Cup. Thought Higgins looked good every time he got it.

aker39
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Just heard a couple of callers on SEN that had been at the game, and both said that Roughead looked impressive.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Decent hit out with Hall playing until about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Harbrow, Tiller, Reid and Minson did rehab type training. Funny wrestling session in the sand pit between Reid and Minson, I suspect it will make the papers tomorrow. Eagleton jogged some laps and Prato was iced up and limping around. Daniels didn't do a lot.

Our more notable players like Boyd, Giansiracusa and Cross all stood out. Murphy also looked to be further advanced with his fitness and form than I thought he would be. Ward looked very classy.

For the younger blokes, Jones did a good job up forward and moved better than I thought he could. Boumann did well in the back half with one particular run and carry play that was very exciting although he turned the ball over a couple of times. Stack was a bit out of sorts but some of the delivery too him wasn't flash. Roughead performed very well.
Everitt played up forward at times. Grant started very well held some marks and even shanked a goal through from a set shot. Hill had some nice touches. Panos did some nice things and Wood wasn't prominent.

For some of the new recruits, Thorne a bit quiet, Markovic was OK, Moles a good contributor and Rose did a bit.

I'm sure there will be a heap of reports.

G-Mo77
06-02-2010, 01:33 PM
How did Hall look overall?

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Delete this.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 01:42 PM

FDOTM said that Eagleton looks bigger this season. Mantis replied with 'and more skillful'

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Thought Higgins looked good every time he got it.

Same, thought he stood out and played very well..might have to visit the tab later :D

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 01:44 PM

OK. Didn't star but held a few marks and threw his weight around. There might be a bit written about about him dumping Gilbee to the turf, who then got up with a smile mind you, but he did his job.

Bomberdog
06-02-2010, 01:47 PM
What a great turnout today. I thought that Jones was most impressive along with Moles. Based upon today I reckon they both may get a few opportunities during the season. Aker looked sharp as usual in the first half that he played and I though Higgins was close to BOG. Barry looked good as well.

G-Mo77
06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
There might be a bit written about about him dumping Gilbee to the turf, who then got up with a smile mind you, but he did his job.

That is something that I think will really help us this year, his forward pressure. Every game I have seen him play he has always chased and tackled hard. With someone like Hall chasing you around you would think a defender would be looking to get rid of the pill as quickly as possible.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
And this.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Is this Prato? If so, how come he had ice on his hamstring? Is he injured?

http://totalfooty.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46&d=1265419182

You image links aren't working Arkie.

Yes Prato was walking around with the hammies iced.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Didn't get to go, finished work at 11am & got down there to see everyone walking out.

So kept driving on.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Didn't get to go, finished work at 11am & got down there to see everyone walking out.

So kept driving on.

Shame because I'm sure you would have enjoyed it although it wasn't the greatest spectacle.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for th e reports guys, had to work... would have loved to go today.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-02-2010, 02:32 PM
It was a little hard to pick out some of the players, especially on the far side of the ground closest to the highway. Despite that it was a nice day, pretty good turnout and plenty of enthusiasum amongst the supporters. Here's what I got out of the session;

* Higgins was BOG for mine. Just about everything he did was silky, left and right foot. Really controlled the ball well in contested situations too. Just seems to find a way to maintain possession, create space and then pick a target. A couple of errors but all in all, very classy display.

* Ward looks like he's taking another step. He worked pretty hard, often dropping back deep and then carrying the football up the ground. His disposal was a little untidy at times like most, but he did look very good. Fights hard for the ball and also kicked a beautiful running goal from about 50m.

* Roughead looks the goods, despite being beaten by Hudson. They rucked all session and it was a good hitout. Roughy can certainly leap, he just needs to work on timing. I was impressed with his around the ground work too. Still a few years away but I think he'll do OK in the coming weeks.

* Hall is moving really well and as GVG said, he came off early into the third quarter. He didn't star but he did enough to suggest he's going to be pretty handy. Murphy spotted him up a couple of times, they already seem to have an understanding. Pushed his weight around, reads the play well. He's very quick off the lead too - burnt Williams a couple of times.

* Jones was very impressive. He set-up a couple of goals and could have kicked a few more. He took some really good grabs out there and if he didn't mark it, he'd bring it to ground. The wraps on him are warranted; the boy's going to be a real talent. AT times he was matched up on by Lake and Morris, yet he still found ways to either beat them or get into the play. He's really quick, reads the play and leads to the right positions. Looking forward to seeing him play this season.

* Grant did some nice things too. He kicked a couple, but he still needs to work on his kicking because they weren't convincing off the boot. Nevertheless, he got involved too and showed sticky hands a couple of times. The thing I loved about Grant today was his work ethic. He made a contest of it in the air but was extremely quick to contest the ball on the ground, too. Delivery wasn't always great but he didn't give up which was really pleasing to see. I still think he's going to be a very good player.

* Boumann's confidence is growing and he did some good stuff out there today. He covers the ground quickly and follows up his work. He made a few too many mistakes by foot, but the pleasing aspect of today was that he didn't drop his head. He kept going and a couple of times eventually atoned for the mistakes. Certainly the type of player to look out for this year and in the coming weeks. His improvement is pleasing.

* Moles was very good. I found it hard to spot him because there's 4-5 guys that all look similar and I haven't seen him up close, yet. But what I saw was impressive. I'll be watching closely how he plays next week on TV.

* Cooney and Griff looked good. Both moved well and generally did the right thing when in possession of the ball. Coons got quite a bit of it early whilst Griff was solid in the middle part of the game.

* Hill was in my Top 5 or so players. His disposal was better than most and he always seemed to find space. Looked pretty happy after the game too, signing autographs etc. Murph continues to look the best he has for a while as well. Hahn was strong in the contest and did well too.

* Everitt looks a much, much better player. He's clearly fitter and stronger. He's moving a whole lot better and his skills are very good. He'll definitely be playing a lot more footy this season. Good to see.

* Panos lacks fitness but I thought he held himself well. Obviously needs to get stronger but that'll come. He was matched up on by Morris early but he did some nice things and knows how to position himself to mark the ball. Very straight kick for goal.

* Addison tried hard and did some great things, but he also did some poor things too. His attack on the ball and the man is first rate. He won the ball a fair few times and even ran hard to present. However, too often his decision making is costly. He's uncertain when confronted what to do. It's a big problem for him because it undoes all his good work. Still - I liked the way he went about it today.

If I think of more, I'll add some later, but I am sure there will be plenty of other reports. It was a typical intra-club game though. Hundreds of turnovers and not the most entertaining to watch, but a good hitout for the players all the same.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Great report TBB. Thanks for the effort.

Bulldog Revolution
06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd echo a lot of TBBs post

Hall a crowd favourite, moved well, hands were good, crunched a few, created a few, kicked a few

Depth should be improved as Everitt, Addison, Stack, Wood and Hill have all improved. Hill was gliding over the ground in the first half.

Cooney and Murphy are much further advanced than last year and are moving well

Griffen, Higgins, Ward were classy

Boyd, Cross, Gia their usual industrious selves - Moles might have been also - he was one I had trouble spotting

Jones showed a lot - his mobility still has to improve again, but he is a very good prospect, good hands, good feel for the game.

Grant showed a bit, and is closer, but he's still too hard on himself

Hahn very sharp up forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Ah, a few more things.

* Stack was quiet early but he got involved a little more as the game wore on. Ended up doing OK. He looks in great condition and is pretty silky in the way he moves. Foot skills were generally OK.

* Akermanis didn't play too long but looked very good. His skills and decision making are ahead of most by a long way. He was getting quite a bit of it early on.

* Hargrave got a heap of the ball. They gave it to him as much as they possibly could coming out of the backline. He didn't always use it well though.

* Williams was ordinary early but got better towards the end. He needs continuity before he can improve his game. He struggles to read the play at the moment and this results in either being out of position or trailing behind on the lead. As quick as he is, making up three to four paces is too much. I was happy that he got a little better afterwards though.

* Cordy only played a quarter and was quiet. I've read on the other site a few were impressed with the way he moved. For mine, I am yet to see anything. I know he's slight but the reality is that anyone could do what he's doing to date. Whilst that's probably to be expected, I'm not sure how people can ride Grant hard and yet praise Cordy.

Templeton31
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for great reports guys. What about Tim Callan? Dont think i've heard him mentioned all summer....

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks for great reports guys. What about Tim Callan? Dont think i've heard him mentioned all summer....

He was named in the side and to be honest towards the end of the game I searched for him and couldn't see him. Another bloke mentioned he played but I didn't see him.

Jasper
06-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the reports guys shame there isn't a few more. Mantis and Coon Dog must be on strike :D

I couldnt get there today so these are invaluable.

Rocco Jones
06-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Just a few comments because a lot has already been covered and I really struggled without the numbers...

- Liked the way Everitt and Hill were moving. Both have the talent to add depth/quality to our 22.

- Great to see Higgins put in a quality performance after some injury concerns.

- Jones keeps on looking the goods. Will be great to see him in the NAB Cup.

- Liked Roughead's game. Nice leap, looks a natural ruckman but also moves well around the ground.

- Aker was lively in the brief time he was on.

- Hall already looks a big difference to what we had. Height + strength + ability to catch a ball is certainly a novelty.

SonofScray
06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Jones was the bolter in the game from my vantage point. A guy I know little about but to an outsider would have looked a gun. Should play a role in the NAB Cup. Will follow his progress with more interest.

Higgins looked like he was traveling well. Used the ball very well relative to the general standard and was prominent when on.

Hall brings some presence, his chasing and pressure is done with genuine intent and will show some good results for us I believe. And the fact he can take a mark, of course. He is big as well, amazing.

I think a lot of fans left excited about the prospects of Roughhead and perhaps even Boumann as well.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Jones was the bolter in the game from my vantage point. A guy I know little about but to an outsider would have looked a gun. Should play a role in the NAB Cup. Will follow his progress with more interest.

The match fitness of Jones might be his only problem. Looks great but playing blokes underdone isn't ideal. He's got a lot of talent though.

I think a lot of fans left excited about the prospects of Roughhead and perhaps even Boumann as well.

Both had good seasons last year and seem to have progressed further again now.

bulldog
06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Tim Callan played was a bit hard to pick a few of the boys as alot of them have shaved heads.
Very impressed with Liam Jones think he may sneek a game this year .Brodie Moles is going to give us plenty of midfield depth and really liked Dre's game today.
It was also good to see many former Dogs stars there today Luke Darcy Scotty West and Brett Montgomery there to although the last two where there to spy on us.

SonofScray
06-02-2010, 03:30 PM
The match fitness of Jones might be his only problem. Looks great but playing blokes underdone isn't ideal. He's got a lot of talent though.

Both had good seasons last year and seem to have progressed further again now.

Re: 2nd point

Roughhead looked like he was taking massive steps late last year, I'd expect him to get a game at some stage in 2010 - Minson and Huddo have had a good run injury wise surely we'll have to cover for one soon enough. Maybe early in the piece with Minson's foot issue?

Boumann strikes me as a kid who has figured out what he needs to do to make the most of his chances at this level. Would be a massive boost to the squad if he became a good seniors player.

The Doctor
06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Red Team - Callan, Lake, Markovic, Wood, Williams, Cross, Roughead, Griffen, Boyd, Ward, Moles, Stack, Murphy, Panos, Rose, Hall, Hargrave,

White Team - Aker, Jones, Grant, Higgins, Hahn, Hill, Hudson, Picken, Cooney, Giansiracusa, Everitt, Addison, Gilbee, Boumann, Mulligan, Tutt

Swapped Teams - Hall, Everitt, Jones

Scores

White 13 - 8 - 86 def Red 10 - 5 - 65

Goals

White - Gia 2, Hahn 2, Grant 2, Jones, Hill, Cooney, Gilbee, Hudson, Hall 1.

Red - Griffen 2, Panos, 2, Hall, 2, Ward, Rose, Hargrave, unknown 1.

White were generally the better side leading most of the game by about a goal or two.

Whites

* Higgins was best on for me. Masterful display through midfield and half forward.

* Aker very lively early on across the half forward line. Played around 1/2 a game

* Hill was 2nd best for Whites for me. Creative and got a fair bit of the ball mainly around the flanks.

* Grant started well with 3 good marks in the first 1/4 as the CHF. Opposing him were Markovic and williams. Quiet after that. Kicked first and last goals of the game

* Jones presented very well. Should have done better than 1 goal. Marked strongly but didn't finish off. Swapped teams and continued to be prominent.

* Hahn made an impact on the game in the 2nd 1/4 with strong marking and typical bullocking work up forward.

Reds

* Roughead contested very well against Hudson early but really got into the game in the second half. Won a lot of hit outs and plenty of possies in midfield. Should have kicked a goal from up a mark up forward.

* Ward played a very solid game and looks very strong and very professional. Got wacked by Boumann 10m off the ball. Ignored it, instead he attacked and won the ball and finished it with a great goal. the kind of stuff that makes a champion.

* Stack was very lively across a half forward flank. Leading and marking very well. Nice game.

* Hall did exactly as we hoped. Provided the big power target. Kicked 2 goals for the Reds & 1 for the Whites. Will still kick a few goals from intimidation alone.

* Hargrave was solid. Got a hard time from Higgo early but still ran hard from defence to link and scored a goal this way.

* Murphy was very good all over the field. Not wasteful!

A Few Observations

* a courageous mark from addison running with the flight into on coming forwards was a highlight

* Hall flattening Gilbee. Gilbee got up laughing. What else would he do?

* While Jones was certainly a highlight with his strong performance I couldn't say the same about Boumann. I though he had a horror day. Started well enough and linked nicely with a few passes but it all went sour after he had a crack at Ward. Maybe he got told off for it but he then seemed to try and do team things all the time and generally stuffed it up.

* Mulligan battled hard and did well. One excellent pass onto the chest of a leading forward had many people around me wanting to know who he was and if he was on the main list.

* Tutt looked a bit over awed to me.

Not a bad game for a season starter. I look forward to this game each year and today didn't disappoint me even if it wasn't do or die stuff. It's great to have the footy back.

mighty_west
06-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Shame because I'm sure you would have enjoyed it although it wasn't the greatest spectacle.

The sun, no numbers & a Mr Whippy van made sure of that...

Was good to get down there though, Higgins was the stand out for mine, Jones impressive as mentoned above, Roughead likewise, and poor old Gilbs copping the full Barry Hall force, you could even hear the contact from the sidelines, Boumann also looking promising.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Re: 2nd point

Roughhead looked like he was taking massive steps late last year, I'd expect him to get a game at some stage in 2010 - Minson and Huddo have had a good run injury wise surely we'll have to cover for one soon enough. Maybe early in the piece with Minson's foot issue?

Boumann strikes me as a kid who has figured out what he needs to do to make the most of his chances at this level. Would be a massive boost to the squad if he became a good seniors player.

From what I saw during the 2009 season Roughead was very good for most of it but it was the injuries that slowed him down. My guess his that he hasn't spent a lot of time lifting weights because of his shoulders but the way he moved today was very good and he can mark the ball. No doubt he should play some senior football.

Boumann really started to hit his straps last year and strung together a number of good games. Has a great ability to defend and then attack at the right times. He's also a great physical package of height and speed but I think it comes down to his ability to concentrate. I agree it would be great if his form has him knocking on the door of senior selection a lot during the season. Players of 196cm with pace who can play on smaller guys would be ideal for us. A taller version of Shaggy would add a lot of depth.

The Doctor
06-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Ah, a few more things.

* Cordy only played a quarter and was quiet. I've read on the other site a few were impressed with the way he moved. For mine, I am yet to see anything. I know he's slight but the reality is that anyone could do what he's doing to date. Whilst that's probably to be expected, I'm not sure how people can ride Grant hard and yet praise Cordy.

I agree with this . Cordy played one 1/4, the last, and I don;t think he touched it. Grant's first 1/4 in particular was outstanding.

Rocco Jones
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Goals

White - Gia 2, Hahn 2, Grant 2, Jones, Hill, Cooney, Gilbee, Hudson, Hall 1.

Red - Griffen 2, Panos, 2, Hall, 2, Ward, Rose, Hargrave, unknown 1.

Ahh, thought he had kicked 3.

dog town
06-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Murphy spotted him up a couple of times
That does not shock me. Murphy pretty much marks the ball and takes off sideways in the same motion. Hall has the ability to lead up from his Sydney days due to the way they played but he will enjoy being able to play with a bit more instinct. At Sydney especially during the successful couple of years they had it was all about hold, hold, block, create space then chip. He will enjoy guys like Murphy just playing on instinct and giving him more one out chances. Can certainly see those 2 linking up quite a bit.

How long were the quarters? I thought I would hit the gym first and get to the ground at 11for the second half. Big mistake, got to the ground about 11:15 and only saw the last 10 minutes. Only thing of significance I saw was Hudson giving a huge spray to Hill for not locking the ball up. Bit of back chat from Hill as well.

The Coon Dog
06-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Ahh, thought he had kicked 3.

I only had Hall down for 2 goals, but 3 to Panos; 2 from handballs over the top & another a set shot that was gun barrel straight from 40 out.

Doc26
06-02-2010, 04:14 PM
* Tutt looked a bit over awed to me.

I do disagree with this assessment on Jason Tutt's performance. We thought he showed quite a bit today particularly his leg speed and carry out of defence. Was the surprise packet of the younger brigade although is fair to say Jones did present very well today if at times a little awkwardly.

As has been said, Higgins was super impressive; looked very sharp. Murphy's performance was VERY pleasing, got a lot of the ball and was using it well. Hopefully a sign of his knee problems being behind him. Murphy's pass to Hall, who then converted, was exciting to watch. Griffen was also one of the standouts today. Josh Hill's first half performance also deserves recognition.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Well i was there, but i was stuck helping in the bbq all day, and didnt see a whole lot of the game, so im loving these reports, thanks to e everyone whos said stuff about the game.....

Nice to see such a huge crowd there, the club wernt expecting so many people, and we wernt either(Iwe being the cheersquad).....

I did manage to see my Willy Boy, before the game started, he was running up and down the stairs, then hopping up and down them....he has lost a heap of weight, but is looking good...

Mighty_West what did you think of the ground? Cause im pretty sure you havent seen it since its all been done up, i could be wrong tho......

chef
06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Great reports, thanks guys.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I was there, my first time to Whitten Oval :)

Overall the skills where a bit sloppy but it was great to see the boys up and running

Higgins was BOG for mine got plenty of it and looks like he is in for a super season.

Murph was great took lots of marks across CHF will be very important to us this year

Hall was great imo, the delivery wasnt the greatest but when it was clean to him he looked the goods.

The usuals for mine played well, Boyd, Griff, Coons, Acker, Ward, Hargraves probably a couple other ive missed.

I think Everitt tried very hard and looks alot fitter, while not being super great today the effort was there and i think he will have a good season if he keeps trying in this manner

Roughead was fantastic imo i think we have found our number 1 ruck for the next 10 years

Grant is a intersting one for me, i think he was ok without being great, tired hard but still is a bit light and needs to really work on his kicking. I cant see him playing For the dogs this year but hopefully a big year at Williamstown and then another good presason will see him get the frame and the fitness to make a impact next year.

Hill looks alot bigger and fitter, and DFA attacks the ball and man very hard and its great to watch :)

Its hard to jog the memory of everything but i must say i enjoyed seeing the boys out there :)

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM

I was looking forward to it, but didn't know what time it started.

Thanks for the reports guys, much appreciated.

The Pie Man
06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
* Hill was in my Top 5 or so players. His disposal was better than most and he always seemed to find space. Looked pretty happy after the game too, signing autographs etc.

I was impressed with Hill as well - one bit of play on the back flank @ the Geelong Rd end, he sun out of trouble and found (I think) Higgins on the chest on the Grandstand wing..and I thought 'gee how classy is Josh when he wants to be'

AndrewP6
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the info everyone...

Doc26
06-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Besides the game itself, it was a great turnout by the fans. Sat up in the EJ Whitten Stand getting a face bake which I'm now suffering for not slapping on sunscreen. Should've remembered from years gone by. Thanks to Da Druid for amusing the faithful with some late Bulldog chanting although noticed that you dressed down for the occasion shelving the mohawk.

The surface of the oval is in a magnificent state. Hopefully this will help to reduce the occurence of training related injuries.

Also, I'm aware this wasn't in anyway a 'family day' but was rapt to see some of the boys stick around on the ground straight after the match and mix with the fans, signing autographs and posing for photos. I'm sure I will probably miss a few, my apologies, but would like to acknowledge Brian, Josh, Wil, Boydy, Dale, Lyndsay, The Bearded One and even Rocket for hanging around and making a few kids, yeah and even some grown ups, day even more special. A class act guys even with the pressure on you to get in for the warm down.

mighty_west
06-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Mighty_West what did you think of the ground? Cause im pretty sure you havent seen it since its all been done up, i could be wrong tho......

Looking really good, or what was that word you used to describe it....Spunky? ;)

Also having a kick on the hallowed turf afterwards was also a bit of fun, tightened hammy's driving home for an hour & a half, not as much fun.

Also great meeting the man himself TCD in person, had a great chat, and met Ernie as well, putting a few faces to names.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks to Da Druid for amusing the faithful with some late Bulldog chanting although noticed that you dressed down for the occasion shelving the mohawk.

Ah thought that was you Druid...what did you say? Was down front didnt hear the words just someone up the back screaming haha

chef
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Carlton did.

I heard today that Kade Simpson required surgery for an injury that occurred yesterday morning(another player was injured as well) because of the slippery surface. A number of players also had the flu.

The Pie Man
06-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Sat up in the EJ Whitten Stand getting a face bake which I'm now suffering for not slapping on sunscreen. Should've remembered from years gone by. Thanks to Da Druid for amusing the faithful with some late Bulldog chanting although noticed that you dressed down for the occasion shelving the mohawk.

Yeah what's with that? My face is fried as well, and it was all morning sun!!!!

Was that Da Druid with the singing? The same character approached me as I was leaving the foyer commending my BHBAS t-shirt, if I'dve known it was our famous hawk dressed down I would've stopped to say g'day

divvydan
06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I was smart enough to wear sunscreen and then sit in the shaded part of the stand anyway. Probably because I got burnt when at training Wednesday week ago.

Bulldog Revolution
06-02-2010, 08:07 PM
From what I saw during the 2009 season Roughead was very good for most of it but it was the injuries that slowed him down. My guess his that he hasn't spent a lot of time lifting weights because of his shoulders but the way he moved today was very good and he can mark the ball. No doubt he should play some senior football.

Boumann really started to hit his straps last year and strung together a number of good games. Has a great ability to defend and then attack at the right times. He's also a great physical package of height and speed but I think it comes down to his ability to concentrate. I agree it would be great if his form has him knocking on the door of senior selection a lot during the season. Players of 196cm with pace who can play on smaller guys would be ideal for us. A taller version of Shaggy would add a lot of depth.

How did you think Roughy did at the centre square GVG? I wasn't sure

I thought Boumann was very good - he played on both Murphy and Hall and you'd have to think would have learnt a bit. Sure, he made some mistakes with disposal, but they were the right kind of mistakes, made when trying to take the game on and really do something. He competed well in the air, and is absolutely lightning fast for a guy of that height, and given he spent time on Murphy and Hall must have a reasonable engine.

Mantis
06-02-2010, 08:38 PM

I thought he struggled a little with his timing.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I was smart enough to wear sunscreen and then sit in the shaded part of the stand anyway. Probably because I got burnt when at training Wednesday week ago.

I wasnt..managed to get sunburnt on one side of my face..looks pretty funny..hurts though..thats what I get for not slip slop slappin, damn 10am sun. :rolleyes:

Hotdog60
06-02-2010, 09:11 PM
I wasnt..managed to get sunburnt on one side of my face..looks pretty funny..hurts though..thats what I get for not slip slop slappin, damn 10am sun. :rolleyes:

For us northern neighbors who don't have daylight savings, doesn't 10.00am in real time mean 11.00am hence it's close to mid-day sun and the worst time to be out.;)

Swoop
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
GVG I know you were a little concerned we were going into the season a little light on for rucks and placing too much expectation on Roughead especially after coming off shoulder surgery. After today's performance are you confident he can step up if required throughout the season or do you still have doubts over his body being able to tolerate the physicality of AFL ruckmen?

Doc26
06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
For us northern neighbors who don't have daylight savings, doesn't 10.00am in real time mean 11.00am hence it's close to mid-day sun and the worst time to be out.;)

Well the look of my face would tend to back this up. Not even my BHBAS Tee could save me today.

wb_age
06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Very much agree with this, the praise given is purely on potential IMO.

divvydan
06-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Actually, despite the sun burning everyone suggesting otherwise, 10am is really 9am with daylight saving. The problem is the game finished around 11:30am so although it wasn't the strongest time of the day, 90mins in the sun makes for some good cooking.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 10:22 PM

I agree with Mantis. His timing was out but around the ground he was better.

GVGjr
06-02-2010, 10:24 PM
GVG I know you were a little concerned we were going into the season a little light on for rucks and placing too much expectation on Roughead especially after coming off shoulder surgery. After today's performance are you confident he can step up if required throughout the season or do you still have doubts over his body being able to tolerate the physicality of AFL ruckmen?

My concern is around him having to play in the senior due to necessity rather than form and I still think that would be the wrong thing. He can play a role but not an extended one and it would be wrong for us to push him but we have few other options.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Ah thought that was you Druid...what did you say? Was down front didnt hear the words just someone up the back screaming haha

I say it real loud,
And I say it till I'm groggy,
I was born and always will be,
A one eyed doggie!

The Mohawk didn't get a run due to Ace Frehley (ex Kiss, settle Dog God!) concert and late arrival home this morning.

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks for all the accounts everyone. I would have liked to be there today.
I Saw a very small glimpse on the news and it just made reaslise how much I would have loved to just see a game of footy! Shame we couldn't make it over there today, hanging out for march more now.

Being that I've never been to an intraclub game before.....a novice question......do they tend to go a little lighter on each other seeing as their playing their team mates? Or does that just make the play a little more predictable?

comrade
06-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I won't rehash my report as there have been plenty of great stuff written already.

Jones and Moles were the stand outs, IMO. Mole in particular looks a genuine bargain and could be this year's Liam Picken.

My boy Boumann showed some glimpses, and tried to attack the game whenever he was involved. That led to some skill/decision making errors under pressure, but he's tracking in the right direction. Now for Rocket to pick him for the trip to Canberra :D

Good to catch up with some WOOFers and shoot the breeze. There was definitely a buzz in the air and a sense of expectation for 2010. It's going to be a hell of a ride (I hope).

On a side note, it seems former Carlton player Jordan Bannister has gone over to the dark side and was out there umpiring today.

Remi Moses
07-02-2010, 12:57 AM
gee the 20 second grab on Channel 9 was worthy!! Just showed Barry dishing out a nice hip and shoulder on Lindsay Gilbee,after last nights movie length showing of Friday's intra club involving Collingwood thought we might have just got a smidgen more:rolleyes:Good work on here much appreciated.

Twodogs
07-02-2010, 12:59 AM
Being that I've never been to an intraclub game before.....a novice question......do they tend to go a little lighter on each other seeing as their playing their team mates? Or does that just make the play a little more predictable?

It depends ons who's playing mainly. When Libba was around he took them deadly seriously and gave poor Daniel Giansiricusa a workout in Gia's first year until Gia bitchslapped him. There wasnt ever an easy ball when Scott West was running along side you.

Todays was a little on the tame side but Lindsay Gilbee's ears will still be ringing from the whack he got from Barry Hall. On the whole they were much more spirited affairs under Wallace though than they are now.

The Coon Dog
07-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Some H/S video:

http://player.video.news.com.au/heraldsun/#1406090364

Mantis
07-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Some excellent reports in this thread so well done to all who took the time to write them up, and as one poster asked I'm not on strike just had a busy Saturday so no time to sit down to do my report.

For me the highlights were:

* Jones - Bar last years intra-club this was the first time I had seen him play, what an impressive unit. I no this is a massive wrap, but he reminds me of a young Wayne Carey with the way he goes about it. Quick, agile, strong and courageous. Works hard up the ground and has very good 2nd efforts. Probably took 8 marks at CHF, but would have dropped another 3 or 4 chest marks. This kid is going to be a player.

* Murphy - Looked his old self, moved up and down the ground with purpose and used the ball well.

* Gia - Looked really sharp, seemed to have gained a little bit of pace and played a solid game.

Higgins, Griffen & Cooney all did it on the bit, but all looked in very good shape and will no doubt cause some opposing teams some grief this year.

Good to have the footy back (atleast in some form) and as with others I think we can't be anything but excited about the upcoming season.

LostDoggy
07-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Say hi to the biggest mohawk there on the day and he'll point out some of his favourite moments and their locations if you'd like.:)
I'm sure that many here could tell a few!;)

Didn't see a Mohawk there Druid, and I believe if I hadn't of txt you, we wouldn't have seen you or Heard you either.
Were we having a little Nanna Nap???? ;) :D

always right
07-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I've never seen Boumann play but from all reports he appears to have the height and pace to be a good match-up on the likes of Buddy Franklin. I know he has a long way to go but do those who have seen more of him agree?

The other player he might be competing with for a position is Tom Williams. Does anyone care to compare the two at this stage of their career?

Bulldog4life
07-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Couldn't get there myself but thank you everyone for all the reports. I regularly print them out so many in my extended family have a read too and they are really appreciated in this bulldog family. Like everyone else I can't wait for the footy to start and to see some of the pups in action.
Luckily the better half is mad doggies too and Valentines Day is just another day to us ....but for those who aren't in that lucky position .....good luck with your endeavours in watching the game.:D

strebla
07-02-2010, 03:21 PM
As always Woofer you have exelled yourselves great reports as I was home sleeping very much appreciated thank-you one and all.

jazzadogs
07-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Many thanks for all the reports. I was at the match, but still found these reports extremely informative.

Highlights for me were Jones, who I had heard about but not seen, and Higgins. Griffen and Ward also impressed me, as did Hill.

Still unsure about Grant. He seemed to get a bit lost to me. When they were doing a drill before the game, kicking the ball around the backline without the 'forwards' touching it, Grant was a defender. There were times when he was clearly free, but was not moving or calling for the ball. It's only a minor thing, but it annoyed me. He did do a lot better in the actual match.

Roughead seemed to do well around the ground, but I agree with the consensus that his timing at the centre bounces still needs a bit of work.

A very sloppy game, but the passages of play that came off were enough to get me excited. GO DOGS!!

Bulldog Revolution
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM

I thought he struggled at the centre bounces and was left a bit unsure when others suggested he had played well

He looks like a player of the future, and obviously blooding him is a priority, but I think we've made a mistake not having a mature age backup on the list. With the other options available I think we should have kept Skipper

NoName
07-02-2010, 06:49 PM
I thought the turnout yesterday we pretty good, looking forward to the start of the season!

Ozza
08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
5 Highlights for me were;

-The enormous turnout. I was really shcoked at how many people were there, hopefully the club made some cash out of the day - the Bulldog shop was jam packed at half time!

- The way Bob Murphy moved. Really did look in great nick, moving well and played with a lot of purpose.

- Ryan Griffen & Shaun Higgins look raring to go and looked a class above at times, Griffen kept going all game and seemed super keen to get plenty of it, Higgins was just classy.

- Bazza's prescence and the way the crowd and his teammates responded to him.

- Liam Jones. I'd never seen him before, but he's a massive lump of a kid that moves pretty well and looks a footballer.

(also, while I think of it - Picken looked terrific given that he had major shoulder surgery a couple of months back, his fitness level seemed great, and his hands in traffic were terrific. )

LostDoggy
08-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Darcy's timing was out for the most part of his career but he went alright

GVGjr
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Thought he was a great footballer and I'd be pretty happy if Roughead could match his career.

Swoop
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
With Picken I know Eade and the rest of the coaches were still looking for more improvement in his game, similarly to when Morris first broke into the side he was purely negating and you would cringe every time he had the ball but hopefully with more confidence & experience he can begin to accumulate some more football as well. His ability to kick a few goals while tagging last year was positive and it's always good to make a quality opponent think about going both ways.

chef
08-02-2010, 11:17 AM

I thought he went alright in the ruck:confused:

GVGjr
08-02-2010, 11:34 AM

I think he jumped too early in the centre square contests as a way of negating his opponents height advantage which made him look a bit awkward. That being said, I thought his mobility around the ground was a real bonus for our midfield.

I'd be happy if Roughead achieved a similar record.

LostDoggy
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
HI All,

Went down on saturday and like others failed to account for the sun or the crowd.

What did others think of Panos and Markovic?? Watching the game I felt that at times they looked a step too slow for afl football. Did anyone else share that impression??

As a defensively minded supporter I was pleased to see Lake, Hargrave, Morris and Williams all moving well and defending strongly, I suppose it is in reference to them as well as young guys like Grant, Boumann and Jones that the lack of pace of Markovic in particular seemed to stand out.

On the other hand Mitch Hahn is no rocket ship but I thought his first half was fabulous.

Cheers
SOLB

Mantis
08-02-2010, 11:37 AM

He wasn't what you would call a clasical tapper of the ball, but more than made up for it around the ground.

His greatest skill in the ruck contest was his ability to push the opposing ruckman off balance and then grab the ball and deliver it our way. His use of this technique eventually lead to a rule change that we see in place today.

GVGjr
08-02-2010, 11:48 AM
HI All,

Went down on saturday and like others failed to account for the sun or the crowd.

What did others think of Panos and Markovic?? Watching the game I felt that at times they looked a step too slow for afl football. Did anyone else share that impression??

I agree they looked a step slow but I'm not sure if it will limit their chances if they are in good form. Markovic is on the senior list so if the right match-ups can be for him I'm sure he will be played.

Lets hope Panos has strong hands and can just show improvement throughout the season.

Ozza
08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
HI All,

As a defensively minded supporter I was pleased to see Lake, Hargrave, Morris and Williams all moving well and defending strongly, I suppose it is in reference to them as well as young guys like Grant, Boumann and Jones that the lack of pace of Markovic in particular seemed to stand out.

On the other hand Mitch Hahn is no rocket ship but I thought his first half was fabulous.

Cheers
SOLB

I didn't know who Panos was. All the new blokes, without them having numbers - I had no idea who they were - however I did recognise Markovic.

Too be honest, I wasn't impressed at all. I thought he looked 'wooden' and slow.

LostDoggy
08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
The lack of numbers did make it pretty difficult especially with the new guys, it took me a while to figure out who many of them were. Although with Moles getting leather poisoning in the second half I started to recognise him pretty quickly.

Hotdog60
08-02-2010, 12:29 PM
He wasn't what you would call a clasical tapper of the ball, but more than made up for it around the ground.

His greatest skill in the ruck contest was his ability to push the opposing ruckman off balance and then grab the ball and deliver it our way. His use of this technique eventually lead to a rule change that we see in place today.

Beat me to it Mantis:D

My thoughts exactly.

chef
08-02-2010, 01:05 PM

They are my thoughts too.

For Darcy to make this work he needed good timing to bump at the right time(and as GVGjr said he timed his jump early to negate his lack of height) and knock the other ruck off balance, then if the ball hit the ground we now he was as good as any ruck in this situation.

Darcy's timing wasn't out IMO, it's just he had a different timing to most rucks. And this is one of the reasons he struggled so much in his comeback from two knee reco's. If that makes sense:o.

Go_Dogs
08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for your reports, a terrific read and great to hear all the positives at this time, with the season now just a short distance away.

Seems like we are going to have a lot of players pushing for senior selection which is great, competition for spots should ensure that everyone is doing everything in their power to maintain their position in the team, or break into the side.

Dazza
08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
With Picken I know Eade and the rest of the coaches were still looking for more improvement in his game, similarly to when Morris first broke into the side he was purely negating and you would cringe every time he had the ball but hopefully with more confidence & experience he can begin to accumulate some more football as well. His ability to kick a few goals while tagging last year was positive and it's always good to make a quality opponent think about going both ways.

I've always thought of Picken as pretty handy with the football. Perhaps takes the safe option more than he should but can't really knock him for that. I see him as Boyd mach 2 in a way. give him time and he'll come on in the offensive respect.

Go_Dogs
08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I've always thought of Picken as pretty handy with the football. Perhaps takes the safe option more than he should but can't really knock him for that. I see him as Boyd mach 2 in a way. give him time and he'll come on in the offensive respect.

I tend to agree. Not only did he bob up for a few goals last season, he also delivered a few nice balls to forwards in good spots.

LostDoggy
08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't have the time I used to to logon to woof but I try as much as I can. Couldn't get to the match on the weekend so thanks to all who contributed to the thread and great to read all the reports from the day. Keep up the good work Woofers.

The Adelaide Connection
09-02-2010, 01:40 AM
Thanks for all the excellent reports everyone. Just one question, how did Wood go? Everyone has been raving about him from trainings but not too much was mentioned in this thread.

Pedro Sanchez
09-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Where is Thorne's likely best possie... Could he play midfield? As well, there were a few reports earlier in the year that he wasnt settling in Melbourne. Does anyone have any insight as to whether this situation has improved?

Bulldog Revolution
09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Thorne looks ideally suited to a half forward flank

Moves well and is a is a very good kick, but not fit enough for senior AFL footy at this stage

Dancin' Douggy
09-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Found some pictures.

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/galleries/results/?q=collection:AFL 2010 Media - Western Bulldogs Intra-Club Match 060210

Twodogs
09-02-2010, 12:39 PM

He was sensational until they changed the holding the ball rule at ball ups. Darce couldnt just charge into the bounce and take the ball away anymore.

He had the agility to play a key position in the forward line when his rucking days were over but then he did his knee.

alwaysadog
09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
He was sensational until they changed the holding the ball rule at ball ups. Darce couldnt just charge into the bounce and take the ball away anymore.

He had the agility to play a key position in the forward line when his rucking days were over but then he did his knee.

Twice

LostDoggy
09-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Twice

I actually think he did it at least 3 times not sure it was the same knees though or a full recon.
In 2000, I remember he missed the later half including the essendon flood game.

Rocco Jones
09-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I actually think he did it at least 3 times not sure it was the same knees though or a full recon.
In 2000, I remember he missed the later half including the essendon flood game.

He did his ACL twice and PCL at least once.

SonofScray
09-02-2010, 09:10 PM
He had two ACL injuries if I recall, which are the real career busters in a way. Earlier on I remember him having some problems with one knee, PCL or medial which aren't quite as serious.

The 1st of his major knee injuries really put him behind the 8 ball, never really recovered IMO.

LostDoggy
09-02-2010, 09:29 PM
any videos of the day anywhere?

Twodogs
09-02-2010, 11:13 PM
any videos of the day anywhere?

I remember it being really innocous. Basically he jumped to take a mark in the forward pocket at Skilled Stadium and his knee crumpled underneath him as he landed. I dont even think there was another player involved.

Of course what I remember and what actually happened can be two different things but that's how it happens in my mind.

The second reco was the bigger tragedy. He did it the last session before christmas on a stinking hot day-I often wish Rocket had said "Ahhh, bugger it-it's too hot to train today let's go down the pub!" that day.

Twodogs
09-02-2010, 11:15 PM
^^^^^^^^

Hang on, I've just figured out that you were talking about footage of the preseason match. I thought it was a bit goulish that you wanted to see footage of Darce doing his knee...

Anyway I spent to much time writing it to delete it.

LostDoggy
10-02-2010, 11:15 PM
lol.....yeh i was after footage of the intra club game :P usually afl has video in previous years, but not this year :(

The Coon Dog
11-02-2010, 09:55 PM
There are some pics available:

Slattery Media (http://images.slatterymedia.com/photogallery/collection:afl%202010%20media%20-%20western%20bulldogs%20intra-club%20match%20060210)

hujsh
11-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I remember it being really innocous. Basically he jumped to take a mark in the forward pocket at Skilled Stadium and his knee crumpled underneath him as he landed. I dont even think there was another player involved.

He wasn't even in a contest the way I remember it. He just collapsed chasing the ball in the forward line. I remember Hahn's knee doing something similar in Brisbane though.

chef
12-02-2010, 07:50 AM
He wasn't even in a contest the way I remember it. He just collapsed chasing the ball in the forward line. I remember Hahn's knee doing something similar in Brisbane though.

Darcy did his chasing a loose ball in the forward line and Hahn did his after jumping straight up and down for a mark.

Twodogs
12-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Darcy did his chasing a loose ball in the forward line and Hahn did his after jumping straight up and down for a mark.

And Eagle did some damage a couple of weeks ago just crouching down to get a drink after training. Just goes to show how easy it is to do.

anfo27
14-02-2010, 03:24 PM

I remember Hilles last season reminding me of Hahns . Murphys was the horrible one to watch.

LostDoggy
14-02-2010, 03:48 PM
I remember Hilles last season reminding me of Hahns . Murphys was the horrible one to watch.

Murphy was flying that year - let's hope he gets back to that form this year - looked really impressive live at the intra club game... My only hope for today is no injuries.. touching wood..

Doc26
14-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Murphys was the horrible one to watch.

Anthony Rocca's crude tackle didn't help Bob's cause :mad:

LostDoggy
15-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Anthony Rocca's crude tackle didn't help Bob's cause :mad:

Rocca had tackled Murphy, pinned his arms. Rocca was going to get a free kick. Then he continued with the tackle to "bury" Murphy by slinging him across his (Rocca's) body. That's when the damage was done. So unneccessary. The Rules Committee has talked about doing something about the tackle where the player's arms are pinned and he is slung into the ground. Too late for Murphy but it's about time it happened.

wend1604
16-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi all I know the game was a week and a half ago but I'm relatively new to this forum business and have been trying to work out how to upload photos. I thought I'd try and share a few pics I took at the game. Nodoubt my next 'big' photographic occasion will be the Family Day. Cheers!

LostDoggy
17-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Great photos wend1604!! THANKS!! :D

Go_Dogs
17-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Welcome aboard wend1604 - nice photos, thanks for that!

wend1604
17-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks Griffen#16 and Suz32 for the welcome and the compliments! There were plenty more photos from the day but I couldn't fit any more on! I'll have to think of another method to share photos I suppose :)

LostDoggy
21-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks Griffen#16 and Suz32 for the welcome and the compliments! There were plenty more photos from the day but I couldn't fit any more on! I'll have to think of another method to share photos I suppose :)

Hi Wend1604, I had the same prob with the file size of photos too big to upload. I got around this by using Photobucket.com and then attaching a link in the WOOF post to it. You can create albums and much more. Nearly everything is free as well!

wend1604
22-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the info, DaDruid! It is useful to know, especially with the upcoming Family Day. No doubt the camera will be given a workout! :)