PDA

View Full Version : TOP 50 Bullodgs of past 25 Yrs (1985-2010)

becmatty
30-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Here's something to ponder and argue about! I have ranked my top 50 Bulldogs from the past 25 years (1985-2010). Apologies to: Robbins, Osborne, Kellett, Bamblett, Ford, Cordy, Dimmatina. I welcome your comments...

50: K. Reynolds
49: D. Baxter
48: S. Garlic
47: J. Harbrow
46: R. Hargreave
45: M. Hahn
44: B. Montgomery
43: M. Hunter
42: P. Hudson
41: N. Cordy
40: M. Croft
39: S. Higgins
38: S. Atkins
37. N. Eagleton
36. J. Akermanis
35: D. Morris
34: D. Giansiracusa
33: J. Romero
32. A. Purser
31. S. Kretiuk
30. T. Wallace
29. D. Southern
28. J. Edmond
27. T. McGuinness
26. M. McLean
25: S. MacPherson
24: S. Kolyniuk
23: D. Cross
22: B. Hardie
21: M. Boyd
20: N. Brown
19: L. Gilbee
18. R. Griffen
17: R. Kennedy
16: R. Murphy
15: P. Foster
14: L. Cameron
13: L. Darcy
12: A. Cooney
11: S. Wynd
10: B. Lake
9. R. Smith
8. T. Liberatore
7. S. Wallis
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. C. Grant
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson

Bulldog Revolution
30-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Very interesting Becmatty

So may permutations that could be discussed

My initial thoughts are:

Griffen rated far, far too high
Croft not high enough

Whilst a fan favourite I also think Foster is rated too high

Would Reynolds, Harbrow, Baxter, Hunter get a place over Robbins, Dimmatina or Kellett?

becmatty
30-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Bulldog Revolution

Yep, I am a fan of the trio you mentioned - Robbins, Dimmatina and Kellett. I mentioned all three in my short apologies list at the top. You could argue the case for all three, but just pipped out of my list.

Foster doesn't get the credit he deserves in my opinion. He had a magnificent career and I think deserved of 15th place.

Interesting to hear your comments on Griffen, and I suspect a few may be on your side on that one. I am a huge wrap for him however and at his explosive best, has been one of the most exciting players I have seen.

Crofty at 40th is spot on. Here was a bloke with probably less natural talent than most on this list, but played out of his skin his entire career. How good was his last match where he went forward and kicked 5!?...

Doc26
30-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Our very own Mike Sheehan. Brave man/woman for sticking your neck out and a good crack at it.

I was a fan of Greg Eppelstun in the late 80s. Would like to see a spot in there for him.

Brian Cordy in place of Neil is interesting. Neil should be more highly placed than Brian. I guess Neil had finished with us by '86.

31 to 29 is our very own rose between two thorns and great thorns at that. Personally I would go Kreta in place of 'Daniel' but a minor positional thing.

Can't have Steven Kolyniuk in our Top 25 nor Keenan Reynolds in the Top 50.

I would also push Scotty Wynd and Libba a couple of places further up the batting order although you do have them high up within our elite.

My 1 2 3 would go 1. Doug, 2. Chris and 3. Brad although we are splitting hairs

Doug to me in the 80s was like what little Gazza is now to Cat fans although I should add I do have a slight Braybrook bias.

mjp
30-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Brian Cordy in place of Neil is interesting. I guess Neil had finished with us by '86.

So had Hardie. So had Edmond. Beasley didn't last much longer. Nor did Magic. Nor did Kennedy (well, he might have but his knees were gone and he wasn't effective)...

It is difficult to assess or even comment on the list without any kind of criteria.

Is number 50 seriously Keenan Reynolds?

BulldogBelle
30-01-2010, 06:09 PM
41: B. Cordy
37. N. Eagleton
36. J. Akermanis
32. A. Purser
31. S. Kretiuk
30. T. Wallace
29. D. Southern
28. J. Edmond
27. T. McGuinness
26. M. McLean
18. R. Griffen
9. R. Smith
8. T. Liberatore
7. S. Wallis
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. C. Grant
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson

Interesting list. well thought out.

1. I'd kick N Brown off the list.
2. I'd put C Grant as #1.
3. Peter Foster is in about the right spot.
4. I'd promote Hardie, P Hudson and Romero.
5. I'd drop Griffen, Cross, McGuinness and Wallace down the list.
6. There is an opportunity for youngsters Harbrow, Higgins and Griffen to move up the list this year.
7. I think D Southern is too high and A Purser too low.

Good list though.

What will this list look like at the end of 2010, after we have won the premiership!

chef
30-01-2010, 07:49 PM
1. I'd kick N Brown off the list.

I would have him in my top ten.

Happy Days
30-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I would have him in my top ten.

Agreed.

Complete prick, but a genius on the field.

AndrewP6
30-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Interesting reading.

Much as I like him, IMO Griffen's too high. Ditto Southern. Even though he's only relatively recent to the team, I'd have Aker higher. I think his influence has been terrific.

becmatty
30-01-2010, 10:56 PM

craigsahibee
31-01-2010, 12:18 AM
I love every one of them (except #20). It's like trying to pick your favourite child.

Granty's my #1. Tony Campbell could replace Crackers at 50.

LostDoggy
31-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Bulldog Revolution

Yep, I am a fan of the trio you mentioned - Robbins, Dimmatina and Kellett. I mentioned all three in my short apologies list at the top. You could argue the case for all three, but just pipped out of my list.

Foster doesn't get the credit he deserves in my opinion. He had a magnificent career and I think deserved of 15th place.

Interesting to hear your comments on Griffen, and I suspect a few may be on your side on that one. I am a huge wrap for him however and at his explosive best, has been one of the most exciting players I have seen.

Crofty at 40th is spot on. Here was a bloke with probably less natural talent than most on this list, but played out of his skin his entire career. How good was his last match where he went forward and kicked 5!?...

I was never a Croft fan. But what he did in that back line was unsurpassed now that I look back.
I was always a Bagger of him , too slow, too slow, too slow but the amount of times he set up plays!
I eat my words
Maty was a champion ;)

Sockeye Salmon
31-01-2010, 01:58 AM
[QUOTE=Doc26;134604]Brian Cordy in place of Neil is interesting. Neil should be more highly placed than Brian. I guess Neil had finished with us by '86.

It should read Neil. Thank you, amended.

Reading the news on channel 10 doesn't make you a better player.

Brian had Neil covered comfortably.

azabob
31-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Interesting reading.

Much as I like him, IMO Griffen's too high. Ditto Southern. Even though he's only relatively recent to the team, I'd have Aker higher. I think his influence has been terrific.

Agree about Griffen. I would trade him before I traded Gilbee or Boyd.

Doc26
31-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Reading the news on channel 10 doesn't make you a better player.

Brian had Neil covered comfortably.

Could be funny if it had any merit.

Our first choice go to man on kick outs, a great overhead mark, was a delight to watch in the early 80s. For me at least Neil by a wide margin.

Twodogs
31-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Whilst a fan favourite I also think Foster is rated too high

?????
If anything he is rated to low IMO. Foster is one of the 3 best centre half backs to have played the game in the last 25 years. Mew and Jakovich are the only ones who come close.

Twodogs
31-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Could be funny if it had any merit.

Our first choice go to man on kick outs, a great overhead mark, was a delight to watch in the early 80s. For me at least Neil by a wide margin.

That was when Neil was playing on the wing. Malthouse moved him to defence and he was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike down there. He wouldnt man up, kicked the ball to opponents more than teammates and went missing for large periods of games enabling his direct opponent to influence games.

bornadog
31-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Chris Grant was a match winner, and he would be my number one. His sheer presence on the field lifted the whole team, and for a man of his size, his skills were unbelievable.

Sockeye Salmon
31-01-2010, 04:31 PM
?????
If anything he is rated to low IMO. Foster is one of the 3 best centre half backs to have played the game in the last 25 years. Mew and Jakovich are the only ones who come close.

Grant was a better CHB than any of them.

anfo27
08-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Chris Grant was a match winner, and he would be my number one. His sheer presence on the field lifted the whole team, and for a man of his size, his skills were unbelievable.

Agree with this, can't think of any KPP coming close with the foot skills turtle had.

LostDoggy
09-02-2010, 12:02 AM
2. I'd put C Grant as #1.

Yep, totally agree.

As much as i love Johno, i still think Granty is the best i have seen in the past 25 years.

becmatty
20-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Here's something to ponder and argue about! I have ranked my top 50 Bulldogs from the past 25 years (1985-2010). Apologies to: Robbins, Osborne, Kellett, Bamblett, Ford, Cordy, Dimmatina. I welcome your comments...

37. N. Eagleton
36. J. Akermanis
32. A. Purser
31. S. Kretiuk
30. T. Wallace
29. D. Southern
28. J. Edmond
27. T. McGuinness
26. M. McLean
18. R. Griffen
9. R. Smith
8. T. Liberatore
7. S. Wallis
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. C. Grant
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson

I think Harbrow's season is quickly seeing his ranking (47th on the list) rapidly rising. We must sign him at the end of the year!

The Coon Dog
20-06-2010, 09:06 PM
I think Harbrow's season is quickly seeing his ranking (47th on the list) rapidly rising. We must sign him at the end of the year!

I think we'd all love to see that, earlier if possible, but at the end of the day if he wants to go to the Gold Coast we are powerless to stop him.

LostDoggy
20-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Here is my 2 bobs worth

Higgins on what
S Mac a bit high
Reynolds must be a relation of yours
Kretiuk was a gun and should be ranked higher
Wallis a bit too high
Morris should have a higher ranking than Southern
Kennedy a battler 40 plus for him
Good talking point

becmatty
20-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Here is my 2 bobs worth

Higgins on what

I have a soft spot for him, and rate him very highly despite his achievements being a drop in the ocean to what I forsee he will achieve.

S Mac a bit high

Are you implying he likes a smoke? If not, I think he is deserved of this high ranking. 188 games and 153 goals, he could play forward or back and was a great, tough Bulldog favorite.[/QUOTE]

Reynolds must be a relation of yours

He is my second cousin. Also was used to great effect at both ends of the ground in the mid-90s and would have gone on to play many more games for the club had it not been for a contract dispute. I fely he was worthy of sneaking him in to the top 50, although the players I listed in my 'apologies' could easily mount a cast to replace him. On this occassion, its my cousing by a nose.

Kretiuk was a gun and should be ranked higher

I am a huge fan of Kretiuk too, where would you have ranked him?

Wallis a bit too high

The man was a star. Listen to what any former team mates, including Hall of famers Hawkins, Beasley, Grant and Libba have to say about him...also, can't wait to see his son in red, white and blue next year too...

Morris should have a higher ranking than Southern

I think in time, this is a certainty.

Kennedy a battler 40 plus for him

A former captain. All-Australian full back. Not a bad battler!!

Good talking point

Thanks for your comments Hughy

Desipura
21-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Whether Reynolds is a relative or not, he has no place amongst the other 49, serviceable player at best who went to North for $$$$$

chef
21-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I have a soft spot for him, and rate him very highly despite his achievements being a drop in the ocean to what I forsee he will achieve.

I would have Ward and Grant ahead of Higgins if we are putting players in there on potential.

LostDoggy
21-06-2010, 02:18 PM

Are you implying he likes a smoke? If not, I think he is deserved of this high ranking. 188 games and 153 goals, he could play forward or back and was a great, tough Bulldog favorite.

He is my second cousin. Also was used to great effect at both ends of the ground in the mid-90s and would have gone on to play many more games for the club had it not been for a contract dispute. I fely he was worthy of sneaking him in to the top 50, although the players I listed in my 'apologies' could easily mount a cast to replace him. On this occassion, its my cousing by a nose.

I am a huge fan of Kretiuk too, where would you have ranked him?

The man was a star. Listen to what any former team mates, including Hall of famers Hawkins, Beasley, Grant and Libba have to say about him...also, can't wait to see his son in red, white and blue next year too...

I think in time, this is a certainty.

A former captain. All-Australian full back. Not a bad battler!!

Thanks for your comments Hughy[/QUOTE]

I hope your right with Higgins
I followed Keanan Reynolds as when he crossed to the dogs his uncle was a matured aged paperboy for me. He had great hands but was a bit slow. If he didnt go to the Roos he would have played all games that year for the dogs as we had a lot of injuries to backman. Bad choice by Keanan as North ended up shafting him

Super Mac was a good player late in his career but not early hence my longer rating of him

Kretiuk I rate as a better full back than Kennedy as he played on and beat most of the time some of the great full forwards

Wallis again was great late in his career but wasnt that good even when he was captain.Lets hope his son is a superstar
If they picked the team of the century now would Morris get on a back flank? Yes is my answer .. IMO he is better than Jillard
Enjoy the debate and thinking of the past
Enjoy looking back on the

LostDoggy
21-06-2010, 03:08 PM
With no criteria I reckon i'd squeeze Danny Delre in there @ position 50.

62 games over 5 seasons.

31st on our all time goal kicking list

Instrumental in almost getting us to a GF in 1992 with 70 goals :)

Loved the man :)

EasternWest
24-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Good thread BM, obviously taken a lot of consideration into it. And putting your views out there for a kicking is game.

But, please, PLEASE.

There's no extra e in 46. Hargrave.

becmatty
25-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Good thread BM, obviously taken a lot of consideration into it. And putting your views out there for a kicking is game.

But, please, PLEASE.

There's no extra e in 46. Hargrave.

Perhaps I was subconsciously wanting Daniel Hargeaves to make the top 50. Unfortunately, he didn't make the list, though he is officially ranked 4,792nd on my all-time best list.

Despite my added 'e', give me some feedback dfa...Any annoying selections, or just spelling that riles you?

EasternWest
25-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Perhaps I was subconsciously wanting Daniel Hargeaves to make the top 50. Unfortunately, he didn't make the list, though he is officially ranked 4,792nd on my all-time best list.

Despite my added 'e', give me some feedback dfa...Any annoying selections, or just spelling that riles you?

He he :). Hargreaves.

No don't get me wrong, you're obviously way more informed than I am, but misspelling our players names does drive me bananas. My recollections of the influence of our great players doesn't go back that far, so I'm happy to defer to your better judgement. I like threads like that generate debate and discussion.

The only thing I would change is I'd cut number 20 from the list. I can't even regard him as a Bulldogs player anymore. He's dead to me ;).

becmatty
25-06-2010, 09:22 AM
The only thing I would change is I'd cut number 20 from the list. I can't even regard him as a Bulldogs player anymore. He's dead to me ;).

Jim Edmond or Glenn Coleman??

BulldogBelle
25-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Nice work becmatty!
I won't attempt to do it properly right now but have made a few changes. Main ones I thought were P Hudson should be higher and C Grant a clear #1 for me .

50: P Dimmatina
48: L. Bamblett
46: R. Hargrave
42: M Robbins
37. N. Eagleton
P. Hudson
32. A. Purser
31. S. Kretiuk
30. T. Wallace
29. D. Southern
28. J. Edmond
27. T. McGuinness
26. M. McLean
18. R. Griffen
15: J. Cook
9. R. Smith
8. T. Liberatore
7. S. Wallis
6. S. Beasley
5. B. Royal
4. S. West
3. P. Foster
2. D. Hawkins
1. B. Johnson

Class of his own:
C. Grant

EasternWest
25-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Jim Edmond or Glenn Coleman??

I snigger at your humour :D.

Mantis
25-06-2010, 11:10 AM
F #32,

James Cook at 15 - WTF?

----

In both lists I would have Tony McGuinness well inside our top 20 (almost top 10), he was a gun.

Cyberdoggie
25-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Agree about Griffen. I would trade him before I traded Gilbee or Boyd.

Gilbs and Boyd have a only a few years left before they retire.

Gilbee is already slowing down and he isn't kicking with the same distance and accuracy as he used to.

If these attributes drop off he won't be around for long.

Griffen is still a baby in years and will be around long after Gilbee and Boyd have retired.

Cyberdoggie
25-06-2010, 11:22 AM
F #32,

James Cook at 15 - WTF?

----

In both lists I would have Tony McGuinness well inside our top 20 (almost top 10), he was a gun.

What number is Jacko at? :rolleyes:

BulldogBelle
25-06-2010, 03:37 PM
What number is Jacko at? :rolleyes:

I was joking but please don't mention Jako in the same breath as Sir James!

TwiceBitten
25-06-2010, 07:19 PM
B : B. Hardie R. Kennedy B. Lake
HB : R. Smith P. Foster S. Wallis
C : D. Hawkins R. Griffen L. Cameron
HF : B. Johnson C. Grant R. Murphy
F : B. Royal S. Beasley M. Boyd
Foll: L. Darcy A. Cooney T. Liberatore
INT : S. Wynd N. Brown S. West L. Gilbee

TwiceBitten
25-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Certainly a GREAT team can be assembled from your top 22 becmatty.; and immensely versatile.

Desipura
25-06-2010, 10:06 PM

What has Griffen done to date to get a spot in the centre over 7 time best and fairest West? I would have Jim Edmond on a half fwd flank, Muprhy on a half back flank with Smith on the interchange. Otherwise, I agree with the other selections.

EasternWest
25-06-2010, 10:23 PM
What has Griffen done to date to get a spot in the centre over 7 time best and fairest West? I would have Jim Edmond on a half fwd flank, Muprhy on a half back flank with Smith on the interchange. Otherwise, I agree with the other selections.

Agreed. I know it's opinions, and they are subjective, but anyone that doesn't have West in their top 10 is off the mark.

becmatty
26-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Fair call on McGuinness. I too was a big fan. I have him at #27 on the list and you could mount a case for top 20, certainly.

One game that stands out in my mind was him slamming six goals against Brissy Bears at Western Oval in 1987. He was impossible to catch when he put on the afterburners and had a magnificent left foot. Unbelievaby, he got no Brownlow votes that round (I remember doing my own pre-Bronlow vote predictions as a kid, and had him down for a certain 3) and he still finished third in the Brownlow (tied with B. Royal and Meldrum of Carlton). Votes in that game would have put him JUST behind Lockett/Platten for the medal that year.

Who would you put him ahead of on my list Mantis?

Mantis
26-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Who would you put him ahead of on my list Mantis?

I would comfortably have him before all players listed from 13 to 26 on your list.

Without putting a heap of thought into I would probably rate him above players listed 7 to 9 as well.

becmatty
28-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Of the current players on my list - Lake, Cooney, Griffen, Gilbee, Harbrow, Hargreave, Higgins, Johnson, Cross, Morris, Akermanis, Murphy, Eagleton, Giansiracusa, Boyd - who do y'all think has enhanced their rating and who, if anyone, has slipped?

EasternWest
28-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Of the current players on my list - Lake, Cooney, Griffen, Gilbee, Harbrow, Hargreave, Higgins, Johnson, Cross, Morris, Akermanis, Murphy, Eagleton, Giansiracusa, Boyd - who do y'all think has enhanced their rating and who, if anyone, has slipped?

You're killing me.

Mantis
28-06-2010, 11:52 AM

This sort of ranking system can't be based on 13 games.

However on current output Lake, Cooney & Griffen would be enhancing their chances for a forward movement up the list.

bornadog
28-06-2010, 06:00 PM

I would have Andrew Purser instead of Darcy.

LostDoggy
28-06-2010, 06:12 PM

I LOVED Andrew Purser!! My first favourite player. :D

BulldogBelle
28-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I feel guilty about not squeezing Fossie into the top 4 Suz :o Where would he be on your list?

Desipura
29-06-2010, 09:57 AM
I would have to agree, forgot Purser. Malthouse rates him the best ruckman he has coached. Mick said Purser would come off the ground all bruised and battered after rucking out of his weight division and would front up the following week and do it again.
The guy was undersized for a ruckman, he nearly singlehandedly got us in a grand final in 1985.

LostDoggy
29-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I feel guilty about not squeezing Fossie into the top 4 Suz :o Where would he be on your list?

Oh, number 1 of course!!!! :D

mjp
29-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Well...if we are talking about the last 25 years - from '85 onwards - Darcy was a better contributor. He was favorite to win a Brownlow one year but fell victim to the ruckman's curse.

I think the dual knee recons coupled with the craziness that was the move to play as a permanent forward has damaged the memory of how good a player he was at his best.

becmatty
19-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Both players were very different, but highly effective. I wonder who we will rate higher out of Darc, Purser and Hudson, if Hudson continues to grow in importance and becomes a premiership player in 2010...