PDA

View Full Version : 2010's Surprise Packet

Bulldog Revolution
03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Frequently someone comes from left field to have a meaningful impact at senior level that few could forsee. In 2009 Liam Picken had a stunning debut season.

in 2010 there appear to be lots of mature age candidates who are either new with us (Moles, Markovic, Thorne, Rose etc) or have been on the list a few years (Stack, Reid, Wood, Tiller, Roughead etc)

Who will be our biggest surprise packet in 2009?

jitboy
03-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Who will be our biggest surprise packet in 2010?

I'm hoping the biggest surprise in 2010 is that Tommy Williams is fit for a full season :eek:

Swoop
03-02-2010, 02:43 PM
For mine based on glowing reports throughout the preseason I believe Wood has the potential to be the bolter this season and he appears to have less competition for the role he plays compared to some others vying for a spot in the best 22.

Alternatively I believe by the second half of the season once Reid has completed his rehab and is 100% he will consolidate a spot in our lineup.

Go_Dogs
03-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm going to go for Brennan Stack.

From most reports he is in very good condition and has been training solidly all pre-season besides a couple of very minor complaints. From the photographs we have seen, he looks in very good physical condition and the transformation of his body is just about complete.

We're crying out for a live wire excitement machine like Stack, and I really really hope this is his year.

Mofra
03-02-2010, 03:12 PM
I'll nominate Wood as well. He just needs opportunity, he seemed pretty much ready to go last year, and another pre-season is only going to help him.

stefoid
03-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Has stack been laboring under injury concerns in the past? I think his problem is consistency.

I think there is a spot for everitt if he is good enough. As most opposition supporters have noted, our forward line isnt getting any younger and I think its inevitable that soft tissue injuries might catch up with us there. If Everitts can maintain a high standard for the Williamstown, Eade can afford to rest players if they are carrying injuries, rather than nurse them through like last year.

Hill also might make a splash this year if he can blend workrate with brilliance.

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 03:28 PM
im gonna say J. Grant and J. Roughead if both can get a game. Cant wait to see both in action!

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I'll nominate Luke Markovic. :)

Bulldog Revolution
03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm hoping the biggest surprise in 2010 is that Tommy Williams is fit for a full season :eek:

That would be a pleasant surprise, and I hadn't even considered Williams in this thread,

Any thoughts on the guys who haven't played a lot of senior footy might bob up?

comrade
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I was hoping someone else would say it :D

The Pie Man
03-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Would Everitt qualify if he has a good year, given he's already played some ok footy..albeit two years ago?

bulldog
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
brodie moles

GVGjr
03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Would Everitt qualify if he has a good year, given he's already played some ok footy..albeit two years ago?

It's about taking their efforts to another level and I think Everitt would qualify.

By the way, I'll go with Brodie Moles

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Liam Jones

chef
03-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Pat Rose for me, playing as a small leading forward and allowing Higgins more time in the midfield.

Mantis
03-02-2010, 05:40 PM
The way it looks is that you just pick a name that no-one in front of you has suggested such that when he fires you look like an expert.

Therefore my selection is Jordan Roughead.

Greystache
03-02-2010, 05:43 PM
I'll say Jordan Roughead. With a bit of a cloud over Minson's toe, and the potential for injury playing in the ruck, I think he may get a chance at some stage and make an impact.

Edit- I was too slow on the trigger Mantis

The Bulldogs Bite
03-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Wood is my first choice but considering he's been mentioned a few times, I'll go with Reid who I really rate. Shame about his lack of pre-season, though.

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 07:28 PM
The way it looks is that you just pick a name that no-one in front of you has suggested such that when he fires you look like an expert.

Therefore my selection is Jordan Roughead.

Spot on Mantis, using your theory, Im saying Christian Howard to debut mid season after strong VFL form, and to continue on for the remaining rounds.

lemmon
03-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Everitt to get back to first year form and play the Richo wing role

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Wood, Roughead and Boumann for me;)

Throughandthrough
03-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Is this a sweep?

OK i'll take Christian Howard to dominate on the half back flank and also Barry Hall to kick 155 goals.

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Is this a sweep?

OK i'll take Christian Howard to dominate on the half back flank and also Barry Hall to kick 155 goals.
Great minds think alike, only I was thinking 156 for Barry !

LostDoggy
03-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Pat Rose for me, playing as a small leading forward and allowing Higgins more time in the midfield.

I reckon Chef is using the right recipe here. Even the role that Pat Rose will play has risen nicely! Blue ribbon call.:)

w3design
03-02-2010, 10:25 PM
For mine based on glowing reports throughout the preseason I believe Wood has the potential to be the bolter this season and he appears to have less competition for the role he plays compared to some others vying for a spot in the best 22.

Alternatively I believe by the second half of the season once Reid has completed his rehab and is 100% he will consolidate a spot in our lineup.

Have to pretty much agree with Swoop here. Reid, if he can get on top of his condition should be a good'n. But I don't see that as being anything of a surprise. Woodsy however I think might just exceed a lot of peoples expectations. Stacky has the potential, but still needs to do a bit more. Jones and Roughy might still be a season away yet.
Am yet to see enough of the new kids on the block to offer any realistic predictions.

craigsahibee
03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
This year's surprise packet was the little foil one found in the hip pocket of Matthew Stokes' jeans. ;)

Bulldog Joe
03-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Frequently someone comes from left field to have a meaningful impact at senior level that few could forsee. In 2009 Liam Picken had a stunning debut season.

in 2010 there appear to be lots of mature age candidates who are either new with us (Moles, Markovic, Thorne, Rose etc) or have been on the list a few years (Stack, Reid, Wood, Tiller, Roughead etc)

Who will be our biggest surprise packet in 2009?

My interpretation from BR's question is that he is looking for the player/players who can really do something that would exceed expectation but also make a significant improvement to the team.

While he has nominated Picken as the player in 2009, I would say that he marginally improved the side and provided what I expected from someone like Addison.

The player who really made that impact in 09 was Harbrow, who went from a fringe player to a best 22 certainty and really influenced games. He showed a capacity to be in our best 5 players and a potential AA standard.

There are several candidates for 2010

Tom Williams can live up to the early hype and own CHB rising to standards we now expect from Lake.

Easton Wood has the potential to make the necessary improvement and be a real impact player.

Josh Hill could go to the next level and find the consistency to be the real threat that teams find hard to match floating through the forward line. The presence of BBB will be an enormous benefit to him.

Gia can also prove himself to be elite with his best pre-season and injury concern behind him. He is already the best user into the F50 but improved fitness can allow him to simply have more impact minutes on the ground.

Will Minson may be ready to regularly bring the match winning form he showed against Brisbane in 2005 and Collingwood in 2009, and be recognised as the superb ruckman that he could be.

Other players like Everitt, Reid (subject to fitness) and Addison will be keen to make the most of any opportunity that comes their way. Stack seems to have the innate ability if he can put it together. Boumann certainly has the potential to emerge and could set himself on the way to a real starring role.

It is a real stretch to see that sort of impact from Roughead, Grant, Cordy, Jones, Howard and Tutt who will be expected to show more steady improvement. Mulligan would also fit in this group and Daniels needs to show enough to keep a spot for 2011.

Of the mature age players Markovic, Tiller and Callan will be expected to be solid players who provide good injury coverage. While Thorne and Moles may be able to play roles with some impact.

When I starting thinking about the potential ...GEE... I just get excited.

Bulldog Revolution
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
My interpretation from BR's question is that he is looking for the player/players who can really do something that would exceed expectation but also make a significant improvement to the team.

While he has nominated Picken as the player in 2009, I would say that he marginally improved the side and provided what I expected from someone like Addison.

The player who really made that impact in 09 was Harbrow, who went from a fringe player to a best 22 certainty and really influenced games. He showed a capacity to be in our best 5 players and a potential AA standard.

There are several candidates for 2010

Tom Williams can live up to the early hype and own CHB rising to standards we now expect from Lake.

Easton Wood has the potential to make the necessary improvement and be a real impact player.

Josh Hill could go to the next level and find the consistency to be the real threat that teams find hard to match floating through the forward line. The presence of BBB will be an enormous benefit to him.

Gia can also prove himself to be elite with his best pre-season and injury concern behind him. He is already the best user into the F50 but improved fitness can allow him to simply have more impact minutes on the ground.

Will Minson may be ready to regularly bring the match winning form he showed against Brisbane in 2005 and Collingwood in 2009, and be recognised as the superb ruckman that he could be.

Other players like Everitt, Reid (subject to fitness) and Addison will be keen to make the most of any opportunity that comes their way. Stack seems to have the innate ability if he can put it together. Boumann certainly has the potential to emerge and could set himself on the way to a real starring role.

It is a real stretch to see that sort of impact from Roughead, Grant, Cordy, Jones, Howard and Tutt who will be expected to show more steady improvement. Mulligan would also fit in this group and Daniels needs to show enough to keep a spot for 2011.

Of the mature age players Markovic, Tiller and Callan will be expected to be solid players who provide good injury coverage. While Thorne and Moles may be able to play roles with some impact.

When I starting thinking about the potential ...GEE... I just get excited.

Bulldog Joe - you've almost hit the nail on the head for my next post

When I started thinking about it I thought there were two guys who bobbed up but they were slightly different stories. Picken came from nowhere - even the regular Willy watchers weren't positive he would play senior AFL footy. And then there was Harbrow who had was on the list, but took a huge step forward with being moved to defence.

So I guess I thought Picken was the Surprise Packet, and Harbrown the Big Improver

soupman
04-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I think that Wood and Reid are both likely to step up, but my nomination for surpise packet will be Shane Thorne.

Firstly, because no one else has nominated him. Secondly, from all reports he appears to have that pace and goal sense that we are missing from our forward line. With a nickname like "Magic" he must be pretty exciting, and in my completely uneducated opinion could hopefully develop into a forward half Harbrow.

Dylan Addison is another though that I think should be considered. Last year he got injured a bit, but all he needs to do is improve his decision making and we have a very good player. And we know Rocket likes him, so that gives him an in to the side. He could very well be a very big improver.

stefoid
04-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I think that Wood and Reid are both likely to step up, but my nomination for surpise packet will be Shane Thorne.

Firstly, because no one else has nominated him. Secondly, from all reports he appears to have that pace and goal sense that we are missing from our forward line. With a nickname like "Magic" he must be pretty exciting, and in my completely uneducated opinion could hopefully develop into a forward half Harbrow.

Dylan Addison is another though that I think should be considered. Last year he got injured a bit, but all he needs to do is improve his decision making and we have a very good player. And we know Rocket likes him, so that gives him an in to the side. He could very well be a very big improver.

Id like to see some ground level magic in our forward line, but will thorne wont have the endurance required? He might be mature age, but he hasnt spent the last 3 or 4 years on an AFL list like Marco and Moles.

Twodogs
04-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Ward for me. I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as his abilty and desire go. With another preseason under his belt and the experience he has already I expect him to make a huge impact this year.

Dancin' Douggy
04-02-2010, 02:05 PM
With all these guys going to step up, who will be 'stepping down' to make room for them?

Go_Dogs
04-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Ward for me. I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as his abilty and desire go. With another preseason under his belt and the experience he has already I expect him to make a huge impact this year.

Ward is a very interesting one for mine. He certainly stepped it up again towards the end of the 2009 season and was in our best 5 or so players on a few occasions, and in big games.

With our midfield rotations looking fairly deep across the inside, inside-outside style players, it will be interesting to see what type of role he takes up and how much time he spends in the guts. He'll be competing against a pretty good list of players including Boyd, Cooney, Cross, Griffen and Higgins for the ball winning, clearance players. A few who have either more pace, better skills or more inside grunt than Ward does based on what we have seen.

I certainly think he's capable of stepping it up again as he has done over the course of his time with us, but I'm unconvinced that midfield is his go for 2010, and I'm not sure what impact all the players I've listed above may have (if they fire of course) on what Ward can produce if he does play primarily midfield.

jitboy
04-02-2010, 03:08 PM
I haven't read many mentions of Griffen this leading into this year. In the past there has been the inevitable statement and expectation that this is going to be his "breakout" season. Do you think he has much more scope for improvement, or has the expectation of him died off somewhat?

For mine I think Griffen is a sublime athlete, but he doesn't have the poise or nouse of a Judd, Ablett, or Dal Santo in his decision making or disposal. But if he proves me wrong he would be a great Surprise packet for improvement.

Greystache
04-02-2010, 04:07 PM
One area Ward improved in dramatically last year was kicking goals, especially the later part of the season. He kicked 10 goals in the last 10 games. I'll be really interested in seeing if he can up that number again and become a 25-30 goal a year attacking wingman.

Go_Dogs
04-02-2010, 06:11 PM
For mine I think Griffen is a sublime athlete, but he doesn't have the poise or nouse of a Judd, Ablett, or Dal Santo in his decision making or disposal. But if he proves me wrong he would be a great Surprise packet for improvement.

I have often read over the past few years that people don't believe he has the footy smarts, but I disagree.

In the final against St Kilda (one of Griff's best games for the club imo) at one point he weighed up a situation perfectly, and kicked the ball long over the top to Johnson's advantage who was able to take a fairly comfortable mark for a shot on goal. He'll do something brilliant like that, and then something ordinary with his next piece of play. Getting that consistency is really the key for Griff.

But anyway..... as far as his footy nous goes, I think he has been unfairly underrated in this area. Go back to his U/18's, and he was widely regarded as a top tier, pure footballer, genuine onballer etc etc. Some of the things he did off half back were amazing, and he has again showcased this ability in the midfield too at AFL level. Due to playing under instruction I think he at times tries to do the team thing and often it doesn't end up looking the best for Griff.

Good call on him, because if it all clicks this year for him, watch out!

soupman
05-02-2010, 01:22 PM
My biggest issue with Griffen is that he has a Farren Ray like tendency to ruin good play but stuffing up the shot on goal. Where Farren used to swing onto his left and spray it Griffen does this little 45 degree pivot and tries to spear it in from 50. This means it is almost always cut off because its so low and it also means it's often off line. He fixes this and he is a goal a game better midfielder.

He's a player who I used to think could become elite, but now I just think he'll be one of those players who'll pop up for a quarter or two and not impact the game much outside of this. He is however, a much better finals player than he is in the home and away season.

Twodogs
05-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I certainly think he's capable of stepping it up again as he has done over the course of his time with us, but I'm unconvinced that midfield is his go for 2010, and I'm not sure what impact all the players I've listed above may have (if they fire of course) on what Ward can produce if he does play primarily midfield.

I see him improving in areas like kicking more goals, working on his defensive skills, taking responsibility for opponents output and being as effective at the end of the game as he is at the beginning.

Ward has all the tools to be an elite player and I reckon he will improve in leaps and bounds each year over the next few years.

EasternWest
06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
In the final against St Kilda (one of Griff's best games for the club imo)

Spot on. I think that was a watershed game for him, and I believe he'll go on from there. IMO he's never really been fit enough, and that's why I think he tends to make crappy decisions after a big, bursting run.

Oh, and unless he works 16 hours a day on it, Eade should tell him to never, ever, never kick it with his left foot.

But I'm hoping for big things from him.

And my other surprise packet is of course Addison. His improved fitness coupled with his courage and desire will make the doubters believe. Go DFA!

LostDoggy
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM

My signature says it all!

LostDoggy
07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Can I say Tom Williams? A lot of opposition supporters don't seem to rate him.

He will play 22 games and stamp his authority as a regular CHB.

Swoop
07-02-2010, 10:41 PM
That's a good point you make Arkie, generally you can have friendly banter and mutual admiration with opposition supporters but I don't think I've ever heard a friend praise or rate Williams. I guess at this stage of his career he hasn't shown much for those outside of the Bulldog bubble but as we're all aware provided he can stay on the park than the potential is there but that's a big IF!

jazzadogs
07-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Can I say Tom Williams? A lot of opposition supporters don't seem to rate him.

He will play 22 games and stamp his authority as a regular CHB.
There's a group on facebook called "Mediocre AFL Players of the 2000's" and some idiot nominated Tom Williams. I was surprised by the level of support he got (although there were also people who pointed out that Williams is a young tall, devastated by injury). I can understand people not rating him, because realistically he hasn't done that much. But by the same token, he hasn't had a huge opportunity to DO all that much.

Here's hoping for a fit Williams in twenty10/20ten/O10.

I think that Ward would classify as a big improver. Things are expected of him, he played very well towards the end of last year. I really see him playing in the midfield. His strength, courage and pressure, combined with a reasonable burst of speed and above standard skills, will ensure that he plays majority of his game time in the centre square. He will rotate, just like every other player, but he will definitely play midfield.

My vote for surprise packet would go to Sam Reid. He is a big unit, who has not had enough games to really prove himself. I love watching him play, and while he is probably relying on injuries to others (combined with his recovery) to get him into the side, I hope that he does get a decent number of games and prove that he is a deserving member of our team.