PDA

View Full Version : Round one V Collingwood team

Twodogs
26-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I've been thinking about our line up for R1.

This was our team for last years prelimanary final V St Kilda

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Scott Welsh

HB: Ryan Hargrave, Dale Morris, Lindsay Gilbee

C: Callan Ward, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross

HF: Brad Johnson, Mitch Hahn, Robert Murphy

F: Jason Akermanis, Will Minson, Shaun Higgins

Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen

I/C: Tim Callan, Nathan Eagleton, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken

Emg: Josh Hill, Wayde Skipper, Tom Williams

My best guess for R1-and it's off the top of my head so if I've made an obvious omissions then put them in your team.

Backs: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

Half Backs:Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee

Centre:Callan Ward, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffin

Half Forwards: Easton Wood, Robert Murphy, Josh Hill

Forwards: Jason Akermanis, Barry Hall, Shaun Higgins

Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney

I/C: Jordan Roughead, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken, Liam Jones

Emerg: Dylan Addison, Mitch Hahn, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt

I'm assuming that Johnno and Wil Minson will still be injured/unfit for R1.

You could easily mount an argument for any of the emergencies to come into the 22 and I'm sure that I will change my team a few times leading up to round 1. I cant wait!

Mantis
26-02-2010, 02:14 PM
^^^

No Mitch Hahn??

Sam Reid hasn't joined in full training yet so is no chance.

comrade
26-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Swap Reid with Hahn and Jones with Everitt and I think it looks pretty much spot on. Eagle will probably squeeze his way in somehow.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Eagle will probably squeeze his way in somehow.

At the expense of Hill?

Cyberdoggie
26-02-2010, 02:39 PM
At the expense of Hill?

For sure!

There is no way Eagle will miss out if he is fit.
Josh Hill still has to win back some favour from the coaching staff, and Eagle is always the class prefect, no matter how bad he plays.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
26-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Is Johnno 100% without a chance for Round 1? My wife and I organised our annual trip to Melbourne thinking he'd play his 350th then.
Oh well, will still be great to see the team play, but the atmosphere would've been something else if it was Johnno's 350th.

Swoop
26-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Is Johnno 100% without a chance for Round 1? My wife and I organised our annual trip to Melbourne thinking he'd play his 350th then.
Oh well, will still be great to see the team play, but the atmosphere would've been something else if it was Johnno's 350th.
All reports on both Minson & Johnson indicate they are still hopeful of them playing Round 1, as anyone heard anything to suggest otherwise?

Mofra
26-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Personally if Roughy keeps playing ok during the pre-season I wouldn't be surprised if they take a more cautious approach to Minson returning; Roughy may snag a couple of games rounds 1 & 2.

Johnson is expected to play the final pre-season game prior to round 1 so I'd expect him to be in. I'd expect Williams to have recovered by round 1 as well.

Reid is waaay behind the fitness 8 ball so wont play; I can't see Jones making a debut, and I think Callan is behind Harbrow for the small forward role so wont be on the bench.

I'd take out Reid, Callan and Jones, and add Hahn, Eagleton & Everitt.

mighty_west
26-02-2010, 04:34 PM
All reports on both Minson & Johnson indicate they are still hopeful of them playing Round 1, as anyone heard anything to suggest otherwise?

On last nights sports report, Rocket said that "dopey" Will will play Nab 3 & Johnno Nab 4.

LostDoggy
26-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Minson looked a picture of health having dinner at the Station Hotel on Tuesday night

chef
26-02-2010, 06:10 PM

My wife and I have done the same(me only weekend off until June), so he better play.

Bulldog4life
27-02-2010, 01:45 AM
My wife and I have done the same(me only weekend off until June), so he better play.

He even promised Bruce McAvaney tonight that he will be playing.:D Bruce said that they have the match and Johnno said "Don't worry Bruce I'll play for you". Hope that this makes all who are going relieved......I say with my tongue firmly in cheek in case people think I'm loopy.

Twodogs
27-02-2010, 02:16 AM
^^^

No Mitch Hahn??

Sam Reid hasn't joined in full training yet so is no chance.

That's OK I meant Easton Wood anyway.

Maybe Hahn in for Jones but I really want Jones to play a significant amount of good footy for us and the time to start playing and teaching him is now. Mitch is the obvious one to miss out for Jones because in the long term Jones will be doing the job that Hahn does now. It might be sooner than we expect that we will need Jones to be able to do Mitch's job more often as well. Mitch has taken a battering and might not be able to play all 22 games each year.

Mantis
27-02-2010, 09:18 AM
That's OK I meant Easton Wood anyway.

Wood plays in defence so try again.

Rocco Jones
27-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Just my 22, I know Eade might think differently and my ideas might be ill informed etc.

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee

C: Callan Ward, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen

HF: Shaun Higgins, Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa

F: Jason Akermanis, Barry Hall, Brad Johnson

R: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney

I/C: Will Minson, Josh Hill, Liam Picken, Brodie Moles

E: Mitch Hahn, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a few things:

It's not that I don't rate Hahn, I just rate 22 guys ahead of him. I would have Hahn in the 22 if anyone other than the rucks do not come up (or Moles cannot be elevated). I am not as like for like as a lot of people seem to be, modern footy is far too grey for a wing for a wing type changes.

Eagleton's main strength is his elite running which I think a lot of fans really undervalue. They seem to just rate getting the ball in open space as purely easy touches, but it can come from a lot of running (also can come from being unaccountable, Eagle does both). With Eagle having a disrupted pre-season, I would only pick him once his fitness is close to 100% (or whatever cliche means the same thing).

I really like what Hill brings to the side but he has to earn the spot in the last 2 pre-season games. If he doesn't, Hahn and Eagleton can easily slot in.

Roughead in the side if Minson is not fit.

Twodogs
27-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Wood plays in defence so try again.

Who am I thinking of then?

Oh bugger it, just put Mitch Hahn in.

Throughandthrough
27-02-2010, 01:37 PM

Can I put mu hand up and say that Moles shows great attack on the player, ball, good endeavour etc but last night his disposal under pressure was woeful.

So i'm shotgun as the founding member of "Moles would be good but for......" club.

NB NB If he plays every game and we win a flag etc etc then hooray!

GVGjr
27-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Just my 22, I know Eade might think differently and my ideas might be ill informed etc.

B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

HB:Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee

C: Callan Ward, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen

HF: Shaun Higgins, Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa

F: Jason Akermanis, Barry Hall, Brad Johnson

R: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney

E: Mitch Hahn, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Moles isn't promoted to the senior list who would you pick out of Eagleton or Hahn to replace him?

Strong side if you can afford to leave out Everitt, Hahn and Eagleton.

Rocco Jones
27-02-2010, 03:08 PM
If Moles isn't promoted to the senior list who would you pick out of Eagleton or Hahn to replace him?

Strong side if you can afford to leave out Everitt, Hahn and Eagleton.

At the moment I would have Hahn replacing any of the 22 other than Hudson or Minson.

I would only select Eagleton if he gets back to the fitness that allows him to be an elite AFL runner. I really want to fit Dre into the side more than Eagle, Hahn or Moles but he doesn't seem to have found a role in the side.

EasternWest
27-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I've been thinking about our line up for R1.

My best guess for R1-and it's off the top of my head so if I've made an obvious omissions then put them in your team.

Backs: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris

Half Backs:Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee

Centre:Callan Ward, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffin

Half Forwards: Easton Wood, Robert Murphy, Josh Hill

Forwards: Jason Akermanis, Barry Hall, Shaun Higgins

Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney

I/C: Jordan Roughead, Daniel Giansiracusa, Liam Picken, Liam Jones

Emerg: Dylan Addison, Mitch Hahn, Nathan Eagleton, Andrejs Everitt

I'm assuming that Johnno and Wil Minson will still be injured/unfit for R1.

You could easily mount an argument for any of the emergencies to come into the 22 and I'm sure that I will change my team a few times leading up to round 1. I cant wait!

Who is this Ryan Griffin person of whom you speak? And why have you selected him in the side ahead of Ryan Griffen?

P.S. I think we should drop Ryan Hargrave and put Ryan Hargraves in.

DOG GOD
27-02-2010, 04:14 PM
B: Harbrow, Lake, Morris

HB: Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee

C: Ward, Cooney, Griffen

HF: Akermanis, Murphy, Giansiracusa

F: Hill, Hall, Johnson

R: Hudson, Cross, Boyd

I/C: Minson, Hahn, Picken, Higgins

E: Everitt, Addison, Eagleton

Dry Rot
27-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Anyone smart and knowledgeable willing to have a stab at a likely Pies team we'll be facing?

boydogs
27-02-2010, 07:30 PM

C: Ward, Cooney, Griffen

HF: Akermanis, Murphy, Giansiracusa

F: Hill, Hall, Johnson

R: Hudson, Cross, Boyd

I/C: Minson, Hahn, Picken, Higgins

E: Everitt, Addison, Eagleton

Good side. I would start Higgins and have Hill on the interchange

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 10:09 PM
You could easily slot any of 30 players into the match day side and have equal effect. Great depth this year.

chef
01-03-2010, 10:21 AM
FB Harbrow Lake Morris
HB Hargrave Williams Gilbee
C Griffen Cross Higgins
HF Johnson Murphy Giansiracusa
FF Hahn Hall Hill
RR Hudson Cooney Boyd
IN Akermanis Eagleton Minson *****

FROM(form and fitness) Addison, Callan, Everitt, Picken, Moles and Ward.

There is a bit of competition for that 22ND spot.

Mofra
01-03-2010, 10:30 AM
I might need to rejig my team considering the LTI listing of Howard.

I think MJP mentioned that any team that improves from the previous year tends to have new players force their way into the side. Last year Picken & Hill made their contribution. This year could it be Hall & Moles?

chef
01-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Anyone smart and knowledgeable willing to have a stab at a likely Pies team we'll be facing?

Here's my stab in the dark.

FB Goldsack Presti O'Brien
HB Shaw Maxwell Johnson
C Beams Pendlebury Thomas
HF Didak Cloke Lockyer
FF Davis Anthony Medhurst
R Jolly Ball Swan
IN(from) Fraser Dick O'Bree Sidebottom Brown Wellingham Wood Toovey

Go_Dogs
01-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Here is how I'd line up based on what I currently know (not much):

C: Cross, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Ward, Murphy, Higgins
F: Akermanis, Hall, Hahn
R: Hudson, Cooney, Picken
I/C: Giansiracusa, Roughead, Hill, Everitt
E: Eagleton, Addison, Moles

On the preface Johnson and Minson are unavailable.
Eagleton for Hill, Moles for Ward would be my considerations at this stage, but I think that mix is just about right.

Update:

C: Cross, Boyd, Picken
HF: Higgins, Murphy, Hill
F: Akermanis, Hall, Hahn
R: Hudson, Griffen, Cooney
I/C: Giansiracusa, Minson, Eagleton, Moles.

Emg: Ward, Everitt, Addison.

Bulldog4life
01-03-2010, 01:46 PM
If all players are available .....

C: Cross, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Johnson, Murphy, Higgins
F: Akermanis, Hall, Hill
R: Hudson, Cooney, Picken
I/C: Giansiracusa, Minson, Hahn, Ward
E: Eagleton, Moles, Everitt/ Roughead.

No doubt all the emergencies in my team could force their way into the selected team for the first round, depending how they play in the next two matches....if they indeed play of course. At whose expense? That is the question. Interesting times ahead.

Ozza
01-03-2010, 02:01 PM
B: Harbrow; Lake; Gilbee
HB: Hargrave; Morris; Picken
C: Cross; Boyd; Griffen
HF: Hill; Murphy; Johnson
F: Akermanis; Hall; Hahn
R: Hudson; Cooney; Higgins
Int: Gia, Eagle, Roughead/Minson, Ward
Emerg. Moles, Williams, Everitt

I think Bazza's prescence will be good for Hill this year. The better defenders going to Hall, Johnson, Aker Murphy and Hahn will mean that Hill will really be able to exploit some opponents and easily pick up regular goals. So I have him in the side.

I think Gia will be more a midfield rotation type of player than a forward now and with Tom Williams, I'd only be picking him if we absolutely need the extra tall.

Swoop
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM

FB Goldsack Presti Toovey
HB Shaw Maxwell Johnson
C Lockyer Pendlebury Thomas
HF Didak Cloke Davis
FF Beams Anthony Medhurst
R Jolly Ball Swan
IN(from) Fraser Dick O'Bree Sidebottom Brown Wellingham Wood
You need to add O'Brien to that back 6, Lockyer tends to play a high half forward role and in the past has tried to expose Gilbee but besdes that fairly accurate.

chef
01-03-2010, 02:55 PM
You need to add O'Brien to that back 6, Lockyer tends to play a high half forward role and in the past has tried to expose Gilbee but besdes that fairly accurate.

Done:)

Mantis
01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I think Gia will be more a midfield rotation type of player than a forward now and with Tom Williams, I'd only be picking him if we absolutely need the extra tall.

1. I probably see the reverse role to you in regard to Gia. (A forward primarily with the ability to help out in the midfield)

2. It has been mentioned that Fraser will play more of a forward role due to the recruitment of Jolly so perhaps that answers your Williams selection dilemma.

Dry Rot
01-03-2010, 03:13 PM

HB Shaw Maxwell Johnson
HF Didak Cloke Lockyer
R Jolly Ball Swan

Thanks. Look like last year's model + Jolly and Ball. No-one else new of note?

We should be able to sort their tall forwards OK.

IIRC Hall and the Swans have done poorly against the Pies in recent years, but this season Presti might find life is more difficult with good delivery to Hall.

Mantis
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
IIRC Hall and the Swans have done poorly against the Pies in recent years, but this season Presti might find life is more difficult with good delivery to Hall.

From what I have seen of the Pies v Syd clashes over recent times Presti has had a fair bit of help from Maxwell & Shaw with regard to nullifying Hall's impact. By making these 2 accountable (Shaw generally goes to Johnson) we should be able to give Hall the chance of creating a 1 on 1 contest with Presti.

One big advantage we do have is our multi-dimensional forwardline which will mean that if Collingwood go hell bent on stopping Hall by dropping players back someone else will bite them on the arse. Sydney probably didn't have the same luxury so Collingwood were able to exploit them.

Ozza
01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
1. I probably see the reverse role to you in regard to Gia. (A forward primarily with the ability to help out in the midfield)

2. It has been mentioned that Fraser will play more of a forward role due to the recruitment of Jolly so perhaps that answers your Williams selection dilemma.

Just in regards to Gia - going back to the Brisbane final last year - I thought he was superb up higher and more on ball - with 30 odd touches. And I think he seems to play really good footy up around the midfield as a general rule. Obviously he is very good on a forward flank also - but I just wonder with Higgins, Aker, Johnno, Hill and probably Eagleton supporting Murphy and Hahn in playing small forward/flanker roles much of the time - perhaps Gia's improved fitness may swing his role in the balance of being slightly more mid than forward this year.

Time will tell of course and we do seem spoilt with the amount of players who can swing between forward and midfield.

With Williams, he will probably end up playing due to balance...probably not on best 22 status.

Ozza
01-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Gee hasn't there been some carry on about Luke Ball?
Why would Collingwood be a significantly better side because of Luke Ball? Because a bloke puts himself on the market is gets overpaid - people forget that he is injury prone, can't kick and has very little pace. Sure he'll give them 'toughness' - but Collingwood haven't been particularly lacking in this area.

He played reserves games last year. He is purely a ball winner - and is unaccountable. He'll be chasing Cooney, Boyd and Griffen tail in round 1 - don't worry about that.

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 10:15 PM
With Moles being elevated off the rookie draft and possibly debuting could we see 2 debut's with Roughie aswell as its unlikely Minson will be ready Round 1? Johnnos 350th & 2 Debuts = Huuuuuge game. :D

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Has Moles been officially upgraded? I haven't seen any information on this. I feel a bit for Everitt as I'm trying to squeeze him in my best 22 but he just falls outside. I'm doubtful we'll see anyone debut for Round 1 but who knows what could happen in the next few weeks. I'm hoping Johno gets some practice before Round 1. I want to see our new forward line working well together.

mjp
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM

HB Shaw Maxwell Johnson
HF Didak Cloke Lockyer
R Jolly Ball Swan

Pretty sure that Dick, Sidebottom and Wellingham will play. Which starts to make things interesting re- outs. One of Fraser or Wood will have to play...and they seem to have big plans for Brown down back...

With Collingwood already in the challenge series or whatever they call it, it will be difficult for us to figure this out.

Mantis
01-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Pretty sure that Dick, Sidebottom and Wellingham will play. Which starts to make things interesting re- outs. One of Fraser or Wood will have to play...and they seem to have big plans for Brown down back...

With Collingwood already in the challenge series or whatever they call it, it will be difficult for us to figure this out.

Didn't he hurt his knee some time during the pre-season?

Go_Dogs
01-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Didn't he hurt his knee some time during the pre-season?

Spot on Mantis - but it was his shoulder IIRC. Not sure when he is due to be back though.

Swoop
01-03-2010, 11:01 PM
My initial thoughts looking at the Pies lineup and how to exploit them would be to utilise Hall's mobility and use him as a leading target further up the field. This will drag Presti away from his comfort zone deep in defence similarly to how opposition sides try to drag Lake away.

O'Brien would appear to be a logical match up for Murphy which would mean 2 to of their best defensive nullifying players are playing further up the field. I would than hope a combination of Hill, Hahn, Akermanis & Johnson could isolate and exploit their opponents closer to goals.

This reminds me a lot of the 2006 final against Collingwood, at the time all the talk was of Johnson and how important he was to our forward line, I recall Eade pushed him up the field and we were still able to kick a winning score. Likewise I can see the pre-match hype surrounding Hall and all the attention focus being built around him but the result ultimately being decided by those players around him.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2010, 11:09 PM
My initial thoughts looking at the Pies lineup and how to exploit them would be to utilise Hall's mobility and use him as a leading target further up the field. This will drag Presti away from his comfort zone deep in defence similarly to how opposition sides try to drag Lake away.

Perhaps Leigh Brown takes a roaming Hall, and Presti plays deep on Hahn instead?

I wouldn't mind us trying to take Maxwell out of the play, because (although it may be an unpopular opinion) I think he really plays the Lake role quite well and could cut off a lot of play if allowed freedom in our F50.

mjp
01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Perhaps Leigh Brown takes a roaming Hall, and Presti plays deep on Hahn instead?

I wouldn't mind us trying to take Maxwell out of the play, because (although it may be an unpopular opinion) I think he really plays the Lake role quite well and could cut off a lot of play if allowed freedom in our F50.

Need to get Maxwell assigned to a 'target'. If he could manipulate the match-ups and get onto a Josh Hill, I don't think that would favor us. Hill would get a couple of easy goals, but it would enable Maxwell to double team Hall or Murphy (whoever is most dangerous).

I am quite worried about this game...round 1 always has a feast or famine aspect to it.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Need to get Maxwell assigned to a 'target'. If he could manipulate the match-ups and get onto a Josh Hill, I don't think that would favor us. Hill would get a couple of easy goals, but it would enable Maxwell to double team Hall or Murphy (whoever is most dangerous).

I am quite worried about this game...round 1 always has a feast or famine aspect to it.

Agree on both points.

Rd 1 to me, is the highest intensity round besides finals and perhaps must win games deep in the season. I'm really looking forward to it.

Twodogs
02-03-2010, 12:11 AM
round 1 always has a feast or famine aspect to it.

We are 5 from 5 under Rocket in R1 games. We have a winning average of almost 8 goals (46.6 points) to go with it.

mjp
02-03-2010, 12:24 AM
I know...but 115 points over the mighty tiges certainly bumps up the winning margin. Pretty sure Johnson kicked 8 in a bit of a tour de' force against Geelong in 07 as well. Wasn't that game a sign of things to come!

I seem to remember a few somewhat closer than 8 goals!

chef
02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I know...but 115 points over the mighty tiges certainly bumps up the winning margin. Pretty sure Johnson kicked 8 in a bit of a tour de' force against Geelong in 07 as well. Wasn't that game a sign of things to come!

I seem to remember a few somewhat closer than 8 goals!

Johno's milestone game against the crows was under a goal(and the only close round 1), we smashed freo over there last year and we beat Collingwood convincingly in Eades first round one with us.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Gee the match committee have a hard task.

From PF

Out
Welsh Callan

In
Hall Williams Hill Moles Everitt

Good Enough for best 22 in most sides when fit
Reid Addison

That gives us 27 best 22 players - We will be sounding like Hawthorn Supporters

Then there are the young developing players

WOW

Mantis
02-03-2010, 09:00 AM

Wouldn't this target most likely be Hahn?

Ozza
02-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Johno's milestone game against the crows was under a goal(and the only close round 1), we smashed freo over there last year and we beat Collingwood convincingly in Eades first round one with us.

Believe it or not - we were actually odds-against in the Freo opener last year. I had a fairly decent go at the dogs at $2.14 and it was a very enjoyable birthday weekend watching us kick 25 goals in round 1.

Playing Collingwood in Round 1 - on my Birthday....talk about feast or famine for the day!!!

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2010, 03:01 PM
O'Brien would appear to be a logical match up for Murphy

If you recall the first Pies game last year, it was actually Murphy going forward matched on O'Brien that really led our comback from 41 points down.

Murphy being fitter should really stretch their zoning. If we can also hit up targets we will really make them struggle.

mjp
02-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Reid Addison

Disagree. Moles hasn't proved a thing either, Everitt and Williams (and Callan) very little.

Rocco Jones
02-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Reid Addison

Disagree. Moles hasn't proved a thing either, Everitt and Williams (and Callan) very little.

How good do you think 'most sides' 22nd best player is mjp?

I think Reid would make most sides best 22.

comrade
02-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Cameron Wood is out for 4-6 weeks with a torn tendon in his finger, so Fraser will be a certain starter in Round 1 (source (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90111/default.aspx))

mjp
03-03-2010, 02:06 AM
How good do you think 'most sides' 22nd best player is mjp?

I think Reid would make most sides best 22.

He would be 'in the mix', just as he is at our club. What has he played? 6 games? Averaged probably 10-12 touches?

I don't think he is much better or worse than the 22nd player at most clubs. He has some talent, no doubt about that - but he hasn't proved much and certainly hasn't done so much that we can say he would be a regular first team player elsewhere.

There is a large part of our list that we call 'depth' but is really just unproven talent. We really dont know what Reid (or Moles, or Addison, or...) would do if they had to play every week, let alone if they had to play significant minutes. Someone like Reid has shown a bit, but just like the basketball player who hits a few shots coming off the bench, that doesn't always translate into being a reliable (and regular) part of the rotation.

Is this part of our list better than other clubs? Probably not - not really. But we have a long list of genuine A-grade talent (Cooney, Cross, Boyd, Gilbee, Morris, Lake, Murphy, Hall, Akermanis) and a super strong supporting cast (Hudson, Gia, Picken, Hahn, Eagleton, Shaggy, Harbrow, Griffen, Higgins, Ward) that isn't matched by too many other sides. Sure, we HOPE that the Hills and Reids and Everitts and what not come through...but if they do it is a bonus. Our strength is at the top of the list - like everyone, we have our share of unproven draftees (like Reid) and 2nd/3rd chance hopefuls (Callan, Moles) who we are depending on to hold the fort in small bursts. If the game ends up in their hands though - just like everyone else - we will be in trouble.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm trying to pick our best 22 after last nights performances and what we now know with Hahn and Johnson out....and it's very difficult to do.

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm trying to pick our best 22 after last nights performances and what we now know with Hahn and Johnson out....and it's very difficult to do.

I think that makes it much easier. I had at least 24 certain starters.

Backs: Harbrow Lake Morris Gilbee Williams Hargrave
Forwards: Hall Murphy Akermanis Giansiracusa Everitt Higgins
Mids: Hudson Cooney Boyd Griffen Cross Moles
Inter: Minson Picken Hill Ward*

I have left out Eagle whether his back is OK or not. Eagle would be next in line if Ward's groin is no good but if Eagle doesn't come up either, Wood is next.

Our midfield depth isn't as good as we think. It's handy that Moles looks like an AFL player.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 01:10 PM
I think that makes it much easier. I had at least 24 certain starters.

Backs: Harbrow Lake Morris Gilbee Williams Hargrave
Forwards: Hall Murphy Akermanis Giansiracusa Everitt Higgins
Mids: Hudson Cooney Boyd Griffen Cross Moles
Inter: Minson Picken Hill Ward*

I have left out Eagle whether his back is OK or not. Eagle would be next in line if Ward's groin is no good but if Eagle doesn't come up either, Wood is next.

Our midfield depth isn't as good as we think. It's handy that Moles looks like an AFL player.

Looks like a pretty solid side.

I'd certainly have Addison ahead of Wood based on last nights efforts, and would be really trying to squeeze him into the 22 somewhere, especially given he can play down back on Collingwoods many small forwards.

I think Eagleton will play, given he is always selected if fit. Picken and Ward are the ones that I have question marks over.

Picken - can't recall who he tagged last time we played Collingwood, but can probably take a role on Davis or Didak.

Ward - whilst he is slightly more versatile than Cross/Boyd in that he can play a few different positions, but adds much the same with his contested ball winning abilities. He's looked a step behind the play in the last couple of games, and the injury may allow for him to miss without upsetting too many people.

hujsh
14-03-2010, 03:40 PM

It would be helpful if Reid was fit though. Having Moles/Ward/Eagle/Reid competing for the last spot is pretty good. (Taking into account Higgins playing more midfield time, taking one of the two spots there once Johnno & Hahn come back)

Remi Moses
15-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Just had a gander at Nicks Collingwood web page . Gee what an incisive informative journey that was :eek:Gotta say this is the least parochial,vitriolic footy website there is. Some of them are just puerile drivel!As for Big Footy how sad and juvenile has that sight become. Just on the topic I'll think we'll go in unchanged [injuries permitting] as the NAB GF

The Coon Dog
15-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Just on the topic I'll think we'll go in unchanged [injuries permitting] as the NAB GF

Except we had 6 interchange & 2 subs in the NAB Cup, so you need to cull a few.

Mofra
15-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Except we had 6 interchange & 2 subs in the NAB Cup, so you need to cull a few.
So we release four of Addison, Hahn, Ward, Eagleton, Wood.
I really want Everitt in the side, Moles has booked his spot and Picken as a tagger is required against Collingwood even if it was the side he struggled most against last year.

If Hahn is available he'd be in, if not Addison or Ward.

Ozza
15-03-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm making the presumption that Hahn and Ward are fit - and Johnno and Eagleton are not:

B: Harbrow; Lake; Hargrave
HB: Morris; Williams; Gilbee
C: Cross; Boyd; Higgins
HF: Akermanis; Murphy; Giansiracusa
F: Hill; Hall; Hahn
R: Hudson; Cooney; Griffen
Int: Minson; Ward; Everitt; Picken

- With Moles desperately unlucky.

The Coon Dog
15-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm making the presumption that Hahn and Ward are fit - and Johnno and Eagleton are not:

Lot's of H's there!

Mantis
15-03-2010, 12:43 PM

Pretty much my 22 as well with Moles to come in for Hahn if he doesn't come up.

I would think that the Ward/ Moles position would be getting a fair bit of debate and I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Moles in rd 1 as his pre-season form has been a little better.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2010, 12:52 PM

I would think that the Ward/ Moles position would be getting a fair bit of debate and I wouldn't be surprised if they went for Moles in rd 1 as his pre-season form has been a little better.

Surely Eagleton just slipped your mind momentarily Mantis? ;)

At the end of the day, if we're going to get the same output from Moles as we would Ward, I'd prefer to play the younger bloke every time - especially Ward who can already handle the physical stuff. Moles is probably just ahead based on his pre-season form though, and should probably get the nod.

I'm going to wait a few more days before I have a crack at naming my 22.

Twodogs
15-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Picken - can't recall who he tagged last time we played Collingwood, but can probably take a role on Davis or Didak.

Picken got Didak last year in R22 from memory.

chef
15-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Here's my team(and assuming that Johnno, Ward and Eagleton are all going to miss)

FB Morris Lake Harbrow
HB Hargrave Williams Gilbee
C Picken Cross Griffen
HF Hahn Murphy Higgins
FF Aker Hall Hill
RR Hudson Boyd Cooney
IN Gia Minson Moles Everitt

EM Addison Wood Stack Callan Roughead

Mantis
15-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Surely Eagleton just slipped your mind momentarily Mantis? ;)

Not at all.

He doesn't seem to be anywhere near fit enough to play at present (hamstring injury aside) and his poor performances over the pre-season have others clearly in front.

To me he looks a little 'plumper' than in previous seasons which is probably as a direct result of missing a few weeks after knee surgery. Eagleton will have to work his butt off (literally) to get himself back into the team.

Ozza
15-03-2010, 03:53 PM

It's funny - just as I was saying to people on Saturday night that Ward's pre-season games had been a touch disappointing - he came out and had a blinder of a first quarter (certainly the first 10 minutes anyway).

I definitely wanted to put Moles in the 22 when I had a crack at it - I guess others have the runs on the board and have earned the right to stay in the team.

Picken for instance, has done everything asked of him and still does fantastic tagging roles - and has never let us down - so although he didn't see much of it on Saturday night (he was good defensively on Schneider of course) and Moles has had a good impact throughout the pre-season - Picko is proven at the level so Moles should probably bide his time, and be as dominant as he can for Willy.

mjp
15-03-2010, 04:38 PM

What is the rush with Hahn exactly? I know he *could* be right, but why not give it a couple of weeks...having cracked a cheek-bone, I can assure you that it smarts quite a bit!

jazzadogs
15-03-2010, 05:10 PM

So based on that, I'd have

OUT: Welsh, Johnno, Callan, Ward, Hahn, Eagleton
IN: Hall, Hill, Moles, Everitt, Williams, Addison

I can't see Rocket risking any of Ward, Hahn or Eagleton, given that he said about Johnno it's more important to have him fit at the end of the year.

Hall and Williams (to play on Cloke) are self-explanatory inclusions.

Moles deserves to play, and (as much as I love Callan Ward) has had a better pre-season than Ward.

Hill still doesn't do enough, but he is a better option than the others, and provides an X-factor which can not be ignored.

Everitt and Addison: DFA did extremely well with the time he spent on the ground, and is ahead of Wood and Callan (the other competition for this spot). Everitt has worked hard over the pre-season and been impressive throughout the NAB Cup. Deserves the chance to prove himself again.

Picken has done nothing wrong at any stage of his career, does a job for Rocket every week.

So my team would be:

B: Morris Lake Harbrow
HB: Gilbee Williams Hargrave
C: Cross Boyd Everitt
HF: Gia Murphy Aker
F: Hill Hall Higgins
Ruck: Beard Cooney Griffen
I/C: Moles Minson Addison Picken

mjp
15-03-2010, 07:17 PM
C: Cross Boyd Griffen
Ruck: Hudson Picken Cooney
I/C: Moles Minson Everitt Ward

I can't see how Moles could possibly miss. Ward might have been indifferent so far, but still started in the centre square Saturday night.

Addison unlucky.

Rocco Jones
15-03-2010, 07:45 PM
What is the rush with Hahn exactly? I know he *could* be right, but why not give it a couple of weeks...having cracked a cheek-bone, I can assure you that it smarts quite a bit!

C: Cross Boyd Griffen
Ruck: Hudson Picken Cooney
I/C: Moles Minson Everitt Ward

I can't see how Moles could possibly miss. Ward might have been indifferent so far, but still started in the centre square Saturday night.

Addison unlucky.

Agree with all that. I have had doubts over Hahn for awhile was impressed with his mobility and how he worked with Hall during the NAB Cup. I think we need to look after him though and hope we only play him if he is actually right.

Addison in for Ward if he doesn't come up.

choconmientay
15-03-2010, 08:08 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldog-nathan-eagleton-to-miss-round-1/story-e6frf9io-1225841067763

Eagleton is confirmed to be out of Round1 match. However Ward and Hahn are OK to play :)

comrade
15-03-2010, 08:48 PM
It will be interesting to see how (if) Eagle gets back in.

Will Rocket let him cash in his remaining credits and put him straight back once his hammy heals, or will he be made to take the long way round Pt Gellibrand?

w3design
15-03-2010, 09:29 PM
It is hard on the bald eagle, but it would be a much better sign for our team if he was losing the battle for his place in the team because hungry young guns like Wood, Reid, Moles and Everitt had cemented themselves. We know the full range of ego's repertoire, he's served us well, but the upside of the young guys could be anything..I hope.

becmatty
16-03-2010, 01:18 AM
The following players will be unavailable for selection:
Johnson, Eagleton.

Ward and Hahn (fingers crosed) will be available, as will Minson after completing the last two NAB matches.

On that basis, here is the team to defeat Collingwood:

B Harbrow, Lake, Morris
HB Hargreave Williams Gilbee
C Griffen Boyd Giansiracusa
HF Higgins Hahn Murphy
F Hill Hall Akermanis
Foll: Hudson Cross Cooney
Int: Ward, Minson, Picken, Everitt
Emerg: Moles, Addison, Wood

Go 'Doggies!

FrediKanoute
16-03-2010, 01:23 AM
So based on that, I'd have

Hill still doesn't do enough, but he is a better option than the others, and provides an X-factor which can not be ignored.

Personally, I'm getting a little tired of comments like this about Hill. Yes he sometimes look like he is coasting, but he has his spot well and truly booked in the round 1 side. He is an extremely tough match up and a brilliant foil for Hall especially given that johnno wont be playing. He would be one the guys I would pencil in to be a defininte starter.

Mantis
16-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Personally, I'm getting a little tired of comments like this about Hill. Yes he sometimes look like he is coasting, but he has his spot well and truly booked in the round 1 side. He is an extremely tough match up and a brilliant foil for Hall especially given that johnno wont be playing. He would be one the guys I would pencil in to be a defininte starter.

And with Hahn & Johnson both highly doubtful to play rd 1 we actually don't have a heap of 'forwards' to pick. Hill is still learning the caper, but he has shown through the pre-season a greater desire to do the '1-percenters' which was a criticism last season.

As we saw on Saturday night he doesn't have to have a heap of touches to have an effect.

No doubt he will be one player who will need to make the most of his opportunities with Hahn & Johnson waiting in the wings, but in reality this is a good thing.

Sockeye Salmon
16-03-2010, 10:03 AM

I don't agree, Fredi.

To me, Hill is the single major beneficiary of our injuries. He does two fantastic things a game and little else.

Unless he improves his workrate he's not in my best 22. It's a shame because he brings some flair to the table, but unless he's prepared to do the mundane as well as the flashy he'll continually be in and out of the side for mine.

jazzadogs
16-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I did say that he would play, because he provides the X-factor, and I have no doubt that Rocket also has in the side.

But his forward pressure and willingness to gut run can still be improved. A lot of his tackles don't stick, and for someone who has (or at least did have) the best VO2 Max in the side, his endurance isn't at the level it could be.

I look forward to seeing him play more with Hall in the side, but there's still a way to go until he has fulfilled his potential, and his spot in the best 22 is far from secure. His spot in round 1 is secure, but not in the best 22.

FrediKanoute
18-03-2010, 01:16 AM
Hill is an enigma definitely, but he reminds me of a young Michael O'loughlan. Has all the skills and loves to do the flairy stuff, but sometimes doens't do the things you want him to do. I think he will flourish this season standing next to Hall in much the same way that Lockett really helped Micky O develop.

I don't think we have too many players who can play his position well. Johnno....maybe is the most like Hill, but he is a completely different player to Hahn and Murphy and Aka. He is so difficult to match up on because of his strong marking ability and he is good at ground level. I agree that the NAB Cup GF wasn't his best game, but then his influence when the game was in the balance was decisive in the end. He set up Hall and then Higgins with goals that effectively ended the contest!

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 08:10 AM
I think Hills work rate and tackling is fine. I suggest some people need to watch him a little more closely. The thing is his body use. He seems very reluctant to make body contact in one on one situations and gets easily knocked off the contest himself. Looks at times like he is not trying hard enough because of this. I would suggest just needs more time and games at this level to improve this physical part of his game. Tends also to be an outside type player when packs form. Some of this may be because of instructions from coaches so can't completely bag him for hanging back at times.

Mantis
23-03-2010, 11:36 AM
With Hahn & Johnson now likely to play by my reckoning it means that just 2 of Moles, Hill, Everitt and Addison are in line for rd 1.

I would think of this group Addison would be the first one left out, but the other 3 have all shown enough thru the pre-season to warrant a spot in the team.

Which way do you think they will go?

aker39
23-03-2010, 11:43 AM

I'm not sure which way they would go, but I would go with Moles and Everitt.

With Johnno playing, I'm assuming he will be spending a lot of time up foward, meaning there is no spot for Hill

chef
23-03-2010, 11:51 AM
With Hahn & Johnson now likely to play by my reckoning it means that just 2 of Moles, Hill, Everitt and Addison are in line for rd 1.

I would think of this group Addison would be the first one left out, but the other 3 have all shown enough thru the pre-season to warrant a spot in the team.

Moles and Hill after the way they both stood up in the last quarter of the NAB final.

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 12:04 PM

Everitt for me as Eagles replacement on the wing.

Hard to say between Hill and Moles, moles will be handy for grunt but Hill is the more experienced player and a likely X factor if Barry is well held, could really be his game. In such an important game, probably Hill.

Addison only if Hahn doesnt make it.

Any danger for Hahn playing? Seems fairly soon since he had fractures in his face...

The Pie Man
23-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I would go Hill & Moles

Everitt is the interesting one. My thinking is it's out of him and Moles as I imagine Hill is in.

Bulldog4life
23-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Rocket today said that Callan Ward will also be considered for selection this week. If that is the case it makes for a very difficult job for selectors.

w3design
23-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Hopefully that is a continuing problem throughout the year. Really looking forward to this game.

OLD SCRAGGer
23-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Rocket today said that Callan Ward will also be considered for selection this week. If that is the case it makes for a very difficult job for selectors.

And what a great predicament that is :):):)

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Good to hear but hard for the selectors.

Ward is in in an instant if he is available for me, leaving one of Hill, Everitt and Moles.

I would pick Everitt but thats just me...

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 06:21 PM
On another note, at work its funny how all the Collingwood supporters are so confident. And even more so after what Falthouse had to say. Every year he does the same thing and they fail!

Bumper Bulldogs
23-03-2010, 07:10 PM
The following players will be unavailable for selection:
Johnson, Eagleton.

Ward and Hahn (fingers crosed) will be available, as will Minson after completing the last two NAB matches.

The paper today has Jonno in, as if he was going to miss..... Please!

that said it looks a smashing side and one ready to do some damage this year.

My starting 22
B Harbrow, Lake, Morris
HF Higgins Murphy Hahn
F Jonno Hall Akermanis
Foll Hudson Cross Cooney
Int Moles, Minson, Picken, Everitt
Emerg Ward, Addison, Wood, Hill

Ward in for Moles if he comes up

I think we have a few sides this year that will love only playing us once.

Go_Dogs
23-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I think you have pretty much nailed it their BB2.

Unfortunately two of Moles, Hill and Addison are going to miss. All 3 I would like to see playing, but there is no one in your proposed line up that doesn't also deserve a game.

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 10:02 PM
The paper today has Jonno in, as if he was going to miss..... Please!

that said it looks a smashing side and one ready to do some damage this year.

My starting 22
B Harbrow, Lake, Morris
HF Higgins Murphy Hahn
F Jonno Hall Akermanis
Foll Hudson Cross Cooney
Int Moles, Minson, Picken, Everitt
Emerg Ward, Addison, Wood, Hill

Ward in for Moles if he comes up

I think we have a few sides this year that will love only playing us once.

Yeah, thats how I would have it. What a devastating forward line! Johno and Aker skirting the Hall pack/providing alternate leads from a murphy wheel and turn, Higgo and Hahn as the cavalry coming through to assist, provide grunt and keep the ball in the forward line. Thats a hefty assignment for any backline anywhere.

LostDoggy
23-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Did the game get re-scheduled?
I swear it used to be the twilight game, but AFL.com has it at 2.10?

Hotdog60
23-03-2010, 10:18 PM

I thought it was too, hence one of the many reason regarding the dogs as to why I signed up for Foxtel.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2010, 03:12 PM
B: Harbrow Lake Morris

C: Cooney Boyd Higgins

HF: Hahn Murphy Giansiracusa

F: Hill Hall Akermanis

R: Hudson Cross Picken

I: Ward Minson Griffen Johnson

Emerg: Eagleton Everitt Moles

LostDoggy
24-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Always 2:10pm, the return match Sunday June 6th 4:40pm.

LostDoggy
24-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know how many tickets are sold?
The AFL have given the hint in the preview for the match on their site that people will miss out on tix.
So how many are left?

Throughandthrough
24-03-2010, 09:27 PM
B: Harbrow Lake Morris

C: Cooney Boyd Higgins

HF: Hahn Murphy Giansiracusa

F: Hill Hall Akermanis

R: Hudson Cross Picken

I: Ward Minson Griffen Johnson

Emerg: Eagleton Everitt Moles

is that yours or official?

The Coon Dog
24-03-2010, 10:32 PM
is that yours or official?

Not official, Eagleton is out injured. Everitt WILL play.

Throughandthrough
24-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Cheers

And so EVeritt should

I just realised its still only Wednesday....

Mitcha
25-03-2010, 06:32 PM
Harbrow in some doubt, didn't do much at training yesterday from what I saw.