PDA

View Full Version : NAB Cup Semi Final

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 01:05 AM
West Coast host Port Adelaide tomorrow, with the winner to play the Bulldogs in the Semi Final next Friday night.

If West Coast win, they travel to Melbourne & play at Etihad Stadium.

If Port Adelaide win, they will host the Bulldogs at AAMI Stadium.

So, who do you want to play next Friday night?

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 01:07 AM
i want them to play at Etihad, so West Coast need to win :D

G-Mo77
27-02-2010, 01:08 AM
I really don't care I just didn't want a trip to Perth and it seems that it won't be the case regardless of the result.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 01:08 AM
West Coast with out a doubt..don't wanna see the boys travel for a Nab Cup semi.

Dry Rot
27-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Port - we'll spank them. Over there too.

WCE - I'm still a bit scared after last year.

AndrewP6
27-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Port, I have bad memories from '09.

jazzadogs
27-02-2010, 01:32 AM
West Coast host Port Adelaide tomorrow, with the winner to play the Bulldogs in the Semi Final next Friday night.

If West Coast win, they travel to Melbourne & play at Etihad Stadium.

If Port Adelaide win, they will host the Bulldogs at AAMI Stadium.

So, who do you want to play next Friday night?
What's the reasoning behind us having to go to Adelaide if Port win, or staying here if the Eagles win? I'm guessing it's not still based on that stupid "who's kicked the most goals" formula they used to employ, because then they couldn't know?

G-Mo77
27-02-2010, 01:35 AM
What's the reasoning behind us having to go to Adelaide if Port win, or staying here if the Eagles win? I'm guessing it's not still based on that stupid "who's kicked the most goals" formula they used to employ, because then they couldn't know?

Is it Home/Away/Home/Away?

I can't work it out either.....

chef
27-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm not to fussed either way, probably hope we play WCE as I love watching NicNat play.

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 08:33 AM

West Coast were at home last week to Essendon & are at home again this week to Port Adelaide. Simple, they're due an away game (if they win).

Port are playing away this week, we' played at home. Seems fair to me if that's reversed next week (assuming Port win).

BornInDroopSt'54
27-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I hope we play WC so we can make a statement after they pulled our pants down in winning their first match away for a long time at Etihad last year. However it may have been the loss we had to have because we bounced off the loss like champs.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I want us to play in Melbourne!

bornadog
27-02-2010, 03:07 PM
I really don't care I just didn't want a trip to Perth and it seems that it won't be the case regardless of the result.

I agree either venue or team doesn't matter. Might be good to get some game time at AAMI.

cinder
27-02-2010, 03:15 PM
It's confusing, thought they said last night if West Coast win, we go to Perth?

mighty_west
27-02-2010, 03:19 PM
It's confusing, thought they said last night if West Coast win, we go to Perth?

I believe they said something like....plays the winner of West Coast v Port in Perth, or something like that, meaning where that game was being played, i thought the same thing.

LostDoggy
27-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Could work either way. Experience travelling but also staying home is better for prep

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I reckon the club would sell more memberships next Friday if it was played in Melbourne.

Rocco Jones
27-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Could work either way. Experience travelling but also staying home is better for prep

Perhaps we could just play at home on Friday night and then celebrate the win (and a place in the grand final) with an interstate weekend holiday.

strebla
27-02-2010, 07:47 PM
No I don't care who we play as long as it is here I don't want to travel

GVGjr
27-02-2010, 08:06 PM
No I don't care who we play as long as it is here I don't want to travel

Then you want a West Coast win.

strebla
27-02-2010, 09:19 PM
So Coon Dog was right in his formula then I was getting a touch confused

bulldog
27-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Looks like we will be in Adelaide Next Friday and No live coverage have to put up with Channel 7's delayed coverage

Rocco Jones
27-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Looks like we will be in Adelaide Next Friday and No live coverage have to put up with Channel 7's delayed coverage

Would be great if they started the game at 8.10 SA time as we would get it live with the half hour delay.

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 11:40 PM
3/4 time & Port lead by 59 points!

The Coon Dog
27-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Would be great if they started the game at 8.10 SA time as we would get it live with the half hour delay.

AFL website shows a 7.10pm start Adelaide time, so I guess that means we'll see it on Channel 7 delayed by about an hour! :mad:

Rocco Jones
27-02-2010, 11:50 PM
AFL website shows a 7.10pm start Adelaide time, so I guess that means we'll see it on Channel 7 delayed by about an hour! :mad:

7.10pm Adelaide time is like 1996 Melbourne time, so it looks like we are in for a bit of a delay.

Sockeye Salmon
28-02-2010, 12:12 AM
7.10pm Adelaide time is like 1996 Melbourne time

In that case The Coon Dog probably remembers the result.

Rocco Jones
28-02-2010, 12:15 AM
If we end up playing the Saints in the final, it will mean 4 straight games at ES for them.

If Freo win tomorrow, their game against the Saints is schedule to be at ES. Pretty harsh on Freo considering that will be their 2nd straight away game while the Saints have just played at home.

Deciding the venue of a Dogs vs Freo final would be interesting. Both clubs will deserve to play at home with both clubs traveling for 2 games. One of our trips was at a neutral venue, but I think they might give ES the final for political reasons.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Happy that we're actually playing in SA. The ES surface can be hard under the feet at the best of times, let alone after two concerts. I think it'll do the group good to be able to play away from home. The surface at Aami is always first class too.

Throughandthrough
28-02-2010, 09:52 AM
hooray!

Will be there with bells on.

comrade
28-02-2010, 10:06 AM
hooray!

An AFL.com article suggests that the game might be played in Melbourne.

Twodogs
28-02-2010, 11:21 AM
hooray!

That's a long way to bring bells!

The Coon Dog
28-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Just spoke with James Fantasia at the family day. He said we're definitely playing in Adelaide.

DOG GOD
28-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks TCD, that will certainly be a test. And ofcourse saints get to play etihad AGAIN.

Throughandthrough
28-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Just spoke with James Fantasia at the family day. He said we're definitely playing in Adelaide.

Hooray for James Fantasia!

(Ask him to make it Saturday night please, have something else on Friday night that I can get out off put some other people will be peeved....)

Throughandthrough
28-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Hooray for James Fantasia!

(Ask him to make it Saturday night please, have something else on Friday night that I can get out off put some other people will be peeved....)

According to 5AA, the game is definitely @ Etihad.

SHambles!

mighty_west
28-02-2010, 01:12 PM
According to 5AA, the game is definitely @ Etihad.

SHambles!

It will be in Adelaide then..;)

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 01:41 PM

This would be that supporting article:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89999/default.aspx

Gotta take James' words though..

Rocco Jones
28-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a wacky theory.

Freo wins today= Freo vs Saints @ Subi, Dogs vs Port @ ES

Freo loses today= North vs Saints @ ES, Dogs vs Port @ AAMI

Flamethrower
28-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Don't all WB v Port Adelaide games get played in Darwin these days.

The original NAB Cup fixture that was released months ago stated that the semi final would be played at AAMI Stadium if Adelaide or Port Adelaide were playing, or Etihad Stadium if West Coast or Essendon were playing. I suspect that nothing has changed.

The only combination that didn't seem to be catered for was a potential West Coast v Brisbane Lions semi final.

The long range forecast for Adelaide on Friday: 23C with passing showers, after a week in the mid 30s.

aker39
28-02-2010, 04:42 PM
If Freo win tomorrow, their game against the Saints is schedule to be at ES. Pretty harsh on Freo considering that will be their 2nd straight away game while the Saints have just played at home.

Subiaco is not available next weekend, I think the AC/DC concert is there.

Rocco Jones
28-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Subiaco is not available next weekend, I think the AC/DC concert is there.

Good call. AC/DC concerts on Saturday and Sunday.

OLD SCRAGGer
28-02-2010, 06:15 PM
Just heard on SEN that it has just been CONFIRMED that we play Port Power in MELBOURNE next Friday night!!! Gosh, I hope they haven't stuffed that up and they are right and we DO play at Etihad

AndrewP6
28-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Just heard on SEN that it has just been CONFIRMED that we play Port Power in MELBOURNE next Friday night!!! Gosh, I hope they haven't stuffed that up and they are right and we DO play at Etihad

Hope they tell the Dogs, as at Family Day today, they said they'd be in Adelaide...

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Hope they tell the Dogs, as at Family Day today, they said they'd be in Adelaide...
I heard the same at family day, but on the Herald Sun site it says (written last night), Port play the Dogs either at home or Etihad depending an the AFL's ruling based on attendance and television ratings. I hoping what was on SEN is correct, and thinking possible when Port get no one to there season proper games, so what would they get to a NAB cup game. Watch this space !

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Says on the Port website that they play in Melbourne, written last night. You would think if they knew last night, we (dogs) would know the venue at the family day. If Port have it wrong hopefully they turn up in Melbourne and we turn up in Adelaide, then we win my walkover !

Throughandthrough
28-02-2010, 07:43 PM
the game is definitely in melbourne.

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Lol. This is funny. 1 person says Adelaide next Melbourne. Hehehe

Throughandthrough
28-02-2010, 08:19 PM
the problem here in adelaide is that the festival is on, the afl could not locate suitable accomodation or flights.

bulldog
28-02-2010, 08:33 PM
Just on Fox we are at ETHIAD on Friday

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 08:44 PM
the problem here in adelaide is that the festival is on, the afl could not locate suitable accomodation or flights.
Hooray for the Adelaide Festival ! Hope no Buuldog fans had already booked flights to Adelaide.

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 09:25 PM
Shame for me I was making plans to get to Westlakes Friday night.

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 09:30 PM
The Nab Cup schedule I downloaded pre-season also said AAMI (this was if either Port or Adelaide made it this far).

Foxtel said Etihad at the end of the Freo/Roos broadcast.

Yet, Cam Rose is convinced they are off to Adelaide..hope it's all officially confirmed tomorrow.

Throughandthrough
28-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Dudes!

Trust me!

It isn't on here (in Adelaide)

If anyone has bought plane tickets, may as well come to the big Glenelg vs West trial game Saturday afternoon with me..........

Doggy
28-02-2010, 10:08 PM
It is up to the AFL to decide, nothing has been anounced as yet.

Doggy
28-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Just read on the afl website that both games are at Etihad stadium next week. Go you good thing.

The Coon Dog
28-02-2010, 10:26 PM
NAB Cup

Friday March 5 - Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium, 7.40pm

Saturday March 6 - St Kilda v Fremantle at Etihad Stadium, 7.10pm

AFL Website (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90018/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Sweet - Off to see some Friday Night footy again.

BornInDroopSt'54
28-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Looking like the tricolours v the tricolours at Etihad for the final.

jazzadogs
28-02-2010, 10:56 PM
NAB Cup

AFL Website (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/90018/default.aspx)
Classic AFL decision-making.

LostDoggy
28-02-2010, 11:08 PM
AFL sure isn't racking up $$$ with the matches this round

Melbourne teams playing Interstate teams @ ES = poor crowds.

7,800 @ Freo vs Roos
11,000 @ Saints vs Swans
17,000 @ Dogs vs Hawks

And just as throughandthrough said..

The AFL wishes to advise that Subiaco was unavailable to host a semi-final match in the NAB Cup competition this weekend, due to a prior booking, while AAMI Stadium was not considered as a semi-final venue due to the Adelaide Festival and the lack of travel / accommodation options for a travelling team in Adelaide.

Doc26
28-02-2010, 11:19 PM
NAB Cup

This is a very nice surprise. Even David Smorgon at the Family Day made comment that the Team would be off too AAMI. Can't imagine Port being too pleased about this decision. Another boost for our membership drive.

comrade
28-02-2010, 11:42 PM
I've seen enough to suggest that we're up to it in our necks this year, so I'm more than happy to rest some of our senior guys this week in preparation for Rd 1.

Personally, I'd like to see the likes of Minson, Jones, Williams, Markovic, Mulligan and Wood get some game time against Port.

The Adelaide Connection
01-03-2010, 01:12 AM
This is a very nice surprise. Even David Smorgon at the Family Day made comment that the Team would be off too AAMI. Can't imagine Port being too pleased about this decision. Another boost for our membership drive.

Can't say I am too thrilled either ;)

My selfishness aside I agreed with a few other comments that maybe it would be good to get away from the hard, patchy Etihad surface for the week. Aami gets very little use and the surface is always top notch.

The other thought I had is that if we do win and Freo get up we will probably have to go to Subi, in a perfect world (and I know Subi is unavailable) I would have like to see the saints have to go West this week and us at Aami and the final in Melbourne.

The Adelaide Connection
01-03-2010, 01:23 AM
Oh and the reason that Subi has been overlooked is fair enough (AC/DC concerts) but the excuse the AFL gave for not considering AAMI is a total pile of poor quality shiraz. The Adelaide Festival is not a reason to avoid Adelaide, it is the total opposite. It will be unlikely to effect Port crowd numbers too much but will probably mean a few more visitors keen to come for the weekend as there is so much to see and do.

Whilst city accommodation is certainly busy it is far from booked out and it will be no easier for Port fans to get a flight over for Friday night than Bulldogs fans to get one to Adelaide. I think Port Adelaide have a fair case to be quite disgruntled. Oh and on a personal note, to think my Friday training has been cancelled due to a midweek game and I got all excited that the stars had perfectly aligned! :(

On the upside I hope that by having it in Melbourne it somehow translates to more members (though I am not sure it will have much of an affect but perhaps someone like Suz might have a bit more of an idea).

Mantis
01-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I've seen enough to suggest that we're up to it in our necks this year, so I'm more than happy to rest some of our senior guys this week in preparation for Rd 1.

Personally, I'd like to see the likes of Minson, Jones, Williams, Markovic, Mulligan and Wood get some game time against Port.

Agree with that.

Would like to see the likes of Boyd, Hahn, Cross, Cooney, Morris, Gilbee & Lake be given a spell to allow this to happen.

September is still a hell of along way off, but we need to avoid any burn out to our experienced players.

The Underdog
01-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Oh and the reason that Subi has been overlooked is fair enough (AC/DC concerts) but the excuse the AFL gave for not considering AAMI is a total pile of poor quality shiraz. The Adelaide Festival is not a reason to avoid Adelaide, it is the total opposite. It will be unlikely to effect Port crowd numbers too much but will probably mean a few more visitors keen to come for the weekend as there is so much to see and do.

Whilst city accommodation is certainly busy it is far from booked out and it will be no easier for Port fans to get a flight over for Friday night than Bulldogs fans to get one to Adelaide. I think Port Adelaide have a fair case to be quite disgruntled. Oh and on a personal note, to think my Friday training has been cancelled due to a midweek game and I got all excited that the stars had perfectly aligned! :(

On the upside I hope that by having it in Melbourne it somehow translates to more members (though I am not sure it will have much of an affect but perhaps someone like Suz might have a bit more of an idea).

Don't you think all the Port supporters will have spent their money on tickets for shows at the Festival?;)

chef
01-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Agree with that.

Would like to see the likes of Boyd, Hahn, Cross, Cooney, Morris, Gilbee & Lake be given a spell to allow this to happen.

September is still a hell of along way off, but we need to avoid any burn out to our experienced players.

And Hudson.

Mantis
01-03-2010, 09:49 AM
I would prefer the game to be played at AAMI just for the fact that the surface is much better.

The surface at ES was just fair last Friday night and with another concert there this week (George Michael on Wednesday night) I can only see it being in a worse state come this Friday night.

The Adelaide Connection
01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I would prefer the game to be played at AAMI just for the fact that the surface is much better.

The surface at ES was just fair last Friday night and with another concert there this week (George Michael on Wednesday night) I can only see it being in a worse state come this Friday night.

Another concert? Armed with this knowledge I think it is a ridiculous and irresponsible decision to schedule the game at Etihad.

Do you think it has a lot to do with keeping Etihad happy? If Freo makes the final their hands will be tied a little, they couldnt possibly give the final to Etihad. Maybe this is to make up for it?

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Anyone know why level 1 seating is not available? Same as last week also, only could get level2.

G-Mo77
01-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Anyone know why level 1 seating is not available? Same as last week also, only could get level2.

Level 1 + 3 is General Admittance.

Doc26
01-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Damn family dilemma now. Had assumed the final would be in Adelaide and as such agreed to head off for the long labour day weekend thinking I could watch it on the tube whilst away anyway. Didn't go down well last night when I proposed that we'd have to look to change our long weekend plans to fit in with my friday night at Etihad. Bugger, bugger. Just lost a truck load of brownie points with the fam.

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Level 1 + 3 is General Admittance.

Really? Cos on ticketmaster when u go reserved seating u can chose level 1 or 2. So is level 1 the earlier u come the better seat u can get or is it still got seat no. On ticket even if u buy general admission?

BulldogBelle
01-03-2010, 12:30 PM
I think where the final is held is effectively contingent on the goal different that the compeating teams achieved during the series

Eg whoever has the higher margin of goals kicked vs goals kicked against them wins the right to have a home final

Based on lasts years victory over Port in Darwin, and the fact that Port played in Perth in 30 + degree heat on Saturday, I think we should be a very good chance to host the final

I would be VERY happy with any Bulldog silverwear....although we shouldnt loose sight of the major piece of silverwear missing from our cabinet!

G-Mo77
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Really? Cos on ticketmaster when u go reserved seating u can chose level 1 or 2. So is level 1 the earlier u come the better seat u can get or is it still got seat no. On ticket even if u buy general admission?

At the game on Friday it was $16 for Level 3 or 1 and you could sit pretty much anywhere you wanted to.

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Sweet, thanks for that.

mjp
01-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I think where the final is held is effectively contingent on the goal different that the compeating teams achieved during the series

Eg whoever has the higher margin of goals kicked vs goals kicked against them wins the right to have a home final

Based on lasts years victory over Port in Darwin, and the fact that Port played in Perth in 30 + degree heat on Saturday, I think we should be a very good chance to host the final

I would be VERY happy with any Bulldog silverwear....although we shouldnt loose sight of the major piece of silverwear missing from our cabinet!

I think the decision of where the final is held now rests solely with the AFL and is not based on goal difference.

Given both games this week are in Melbourne, if either Freo or Port win (not that a Port win is relevant to us re- location of the GF) the GF will be interstate. I am pretty certain they wont make Freo travel to Melbourne three weeks in a row in Feb/March.

The Coon Dog
01-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I think the decision of where the final is held now rests solely with the AFL and is not based on goal difference.

Given both games this week are in Melbourne, if either Freo or Port win (not that a Port win is relevant to us re- location of the GF) the GF will be interstate. I am pretty certain they wont make Freo travel to Melbourne three weeks in a row in Feb/March.
Bit of a conundrum for the AFL if Freo & Port make it. One of them will have to travel 3 weeks in a row! :eek:

Go_Dogs
01-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Bit of a conundrum for the AFL if Freo & Port make it. One of them will have to travel 3 weeks in a row! :eek:

Their incompetence astounds me once again. Though I question why I remain surprised given the amount of nonsense they frequently spew.

Mantis
01-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Their incompetence astounds me once again. Though I question why I remain surprised given the amount of nonsense they frequently spew.

If the powers to be over in the west hadn't booked out Subiaco for a concert for this weekend we wouldn't be faced with this situation.

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
think the afl are hoping us and saints win

Go_Dogs
01-03-2010, 02:25 PM
If the powers to be over in the west hadn't booked out Subiaco for a concert for this weekend we wouldn't be faced with this situation.

You're right, there is a bit of guess work involved and with both WCE and Fremantle making the 2nd round it has now caused a bit of a difficult situation. I just don't understand why the SA teams had a derby, but they didn't have one out west. Surely makes any potential scheduling clashes easier in the very least.

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 02:48 PM
On an aside, does anyone know why Liam Jones was not on the park on Friday night and whether he will be available for this Friday night?

mjp
01-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Concert is next week. No reason Fremantle couldn't have played a home game THIS weekend avoiding the issue completely.

Just seems dumb to me.

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Concert is next week. No reason Fremantle couldn't have played a home game THIS weekend avoiding the issue completely.

Just seems dumb to me.
Great, does that mean if we win we play in Melbourne no matter what ?

LostDoggy
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Just googled, concert this weekend, not next 6th & 8th March, so if we win and Freo win big chance in Perth

mjp
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Just googled, concert this weekend, not next 6th & 8th March, so if we win and Freo win big chance in Perth

I am lost. The concert is next week...which I guess is this week. AC/DC on Saturday night.

If Freo win the gf will almost certainly be in Perth I would think. Then again, does anyone think they might win?

The Adelaide Connection
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I am lost. The concert is next week...which I guess is this week. AC/DC on Saturday night.

If Freo win the gf will almost certainly be in Perth I would think. Then again, does anyone think they might win?

Whether they do or don't win and whether it is or isn't in Perth next week, I hope there is a fair bit of backlash in regards to the scheduling for this NAB cup. It has been atrocious and some clubs have been dealt an extremely raw deal.

Sure we have faired alright this time but we shouldn't let that cloud our judgement, I personally HATE it when the AFL are willing to compromise any thread of fairness for the sake of a few extra bucks or whatever. Usually it is clubs like ours that suffer.

AndrewP6
01-03-2010, 11:34 PM

Who's on first? ;)