PDA

View Full Version : Wallace never had a chance - Miller

Sockeye Salmon
06-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Terry Wallace never had a chance

* Mike Sheahan
* March 06, 2010 12:00AM

REGARDED as an abject failure at Richmond, Terry Wallace was really the victim of penny-pinching and disunity, reveals the key behind-the-scenes figure of that bleak era.

TERRY Wallace and his failed five-year rescue plan for Richmond were doomed from the outset, the man behind the operation, Greg Miller, said this week.

Miller, the club's director of football for the bulk of the bleak Wallace era, blamed a chronic lack of resources in the early years and fractured unity within the administration for the spectacular failure.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-never-had-a-chance/story-e6frf9jf-1225837573555

The only reason I bothered to post this article was to have a chuckle about the line "In terms of dollars and manpower, the Balwyn Tigers were far better-equipped than the AFL Tigers."

And he left us because we were underfunded.

Go_Dogs
06-03-2010, 11:39 AM
The only reason I bothered to post this article was to have a chuckle about the line "In terms of dollars and manpower, the Balwyn Tigers were far better-equipped than the AFL Tigers."

Haha!

Poor Terry. I bet if he could have his time again, he would have stuck with us, no question asked.

The Pie Man
06-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Terry Wallace never had a chance

I read this with interest this morning as well - I guess it's Miller talking and not Plough, but you would've thought he'd discuss and confirm what sort of $ would be allocated to the footy dept before taking on the job given his stated reasons for ditching us....

G-Mo77
06-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Haha!

Poor Terry. I bet if he could have his time again, he would have stuck with us, no question asked.

Probably, I'm glad he chose that path. Don't get me wrong he did a great job with our team but if we held onto him for a few years after that I really think we would have been stuck in the middle of the road for many years which would not have helped one bit. All these things happen for a reason, Wallace leaving, Peter Rhode's incompetence has all lead us to this path.

LostDoggy
06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Remember, hindsight always has 20-20 vision.;)

Topdog
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I read this with interest this morning as well - I guess it's Miller talking and not Plough, but you would've thought he'd discuss and confirm what sort of $ would be allocated to the footy dept before taking on the job given his stated reasons for ditching us....

It's Plough talking. He and Miller are great mates and this is all in an attempt to get him back in the coaching arena.

EasternWest
06-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Haha!

I don't know about that. But he would definitely have kept his head down and not opened his stupid mouth before the final game, that's for sure.

Suck it, Terry.

Swoop
06-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Wasn't there discussion at the time highlighting how Clarkson who was appointed at the same time decided to take a pay cut in order to use that money for others in his football department. It makes sense, ultimately if the side is performing than the money situation will look after itself and he will be rewarded in the long term while Wallace had the 'me' mentality and tried to maximise his contract in terms of dollars and duration.

The Pie Man
06-03-2010, 03:48 PM
It's Plough talking. He and Miller are great mates and this is all in an attempt to get him back in the coaching arena.

Fair point - and I'm sure most would agree any efforts in support of that will be completely, utterly & totally in vain.

Side note : I believe this is my 1000th post on WOOF. :)

Bulldog Revolution
06-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I could be shot down here but I think in a lot of respects Wallace was harshly judged at Richmond, and its going to be very interesting to see if Hardwick can turn it around.

Clearly they had a lot of the picks in his time did not work out - Myer, Pattison, Oakley-Nicholls etc - and they had some bad luck with injuries Richo, Brown, Couglan etc

Time will tell but I wont be surprised if looking back on Terrys record at the end of 2010 it looks good compared to what Hardwick and co serve up this year

EasternWest
06-03-2010, 07:03 PM
I could be shot down here but I think in a lot of respects Wallace was harshly judged at Richmond, and its going to be very interesting to see if Hardwick can turn it around.

Clearly they had a lot of the picks in his time did not work out - Myer, Pattison, Oakley-Nicholls etc - and they had some bad luck with injuries Richo, Brown, Couglan etc

Time will tell but I wont be surprised if looking back on Terrys record at the end of 2010 it looks good compared to what Hardwick and co serve up this year

I don't think it's his record against Hardwick that is the issue. It's the insipid football they "spewed up" with him as coach.

And come on, actively recruiting Jordan McMahon after he already knew all about him?

Hotdog60
06-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I think Richmond's troubles go higher up than the playing field, there's no stability in the hierarchy, it appears to me over a lot of years there's be a lot of in-fighting.

I know a few Richmond supporters and they are always whinging about somebody up top.

Topdog
06-03-2010, 07:42 PM

2010 is a building year for Richmond, I don't think anyone there expects them to get out of the bottom 4 this year.

I would love to hear how you think he was harshly judged though.

Remi Moses
07-03-2010, 12:07 AM

I hate sticking up for anyone associated with Richmond but that's an unfair comparison when you think of the dead wood hardwick's culled at that club. Wallace sold the members a lemon and Hardiwck has to pick up the pieces of a list that has to rebuild. Wallace's record is atrocious from 2000 onwards whatever SPIN some like to put out there

Sedat
07-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Greg Miller still milking his Carey and Longmire recruiting coup from 21 years ago to justify his reputation as some sort of football administration svengali. I can't think of anything else of significance he has achieved in football, apart from starting the marshmallow war with Sheedy :rolleyes:

With Miller and Wallace at the helm, it was Richmond that never had a chance.

LostDoggy
09-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Greg Miller still milking his Carey and Longmire recruiting coup from 21 years ago to justify his reputation as some sort of football administration svengali. I can't think of anything else of significance he has achieved in football, apart from starting the marshmallow war with Sheedy :rolleyes:

With Miller and Wallace at the helm, it was Richmond that never had a chance.

Best post of 2010 thus far.

flynny
09-03-2010, 04:40 AM

Was thinking the same thing when reading the article. Every time Wallace is involved, you can't help but be sceptical. Since day 1 after leaving the Tiges, his propaganda machine has been cranking into motion.

Mofra
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I don't hold a grudge towards Wallace - the guy was good for us, despite his leaving in acrimonious circumstances. He publically admitted his mistakes at the Bulldogs, both during his early coaching days (overtrading) and in the way he left. He bled for us as a player and used these experiences to try and turn the culture of the club around, and except for a blind goal umpire would have been our first full-time premiership coach outside of our VFA days.

I'd hope his apologies and contrition, as well as his public comments regarding himself as a Bulldog man, mean some fans can forgive him the way it appears the board has. I'd certainly welcome him back.

chef
09-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't hold a grudge towards Wallace - the guy was good for us, despite his leaving in acrimonious circumstances. He publically admitted his mistakes at the Bulldogs, both during his early coaching days (overtrading) and in the way he left. He bled for us as a player and used these experiences to try and turn the culture of the club around, and except for a blind goal umpire would have been our first full-time premiership coach outside of our VFA days.

I'd hope his apologies and contrition, as well as his public comments regarding himself as a Bulldog man, mean some fans can forgive him the way it appears the board has. I'd certainly welcome him back.

My feelings exactly.

mighty_west
09-03-2010, 01:53 PM

Here hear.

Topdog
09-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Welcome him back in what role? If he wants to come and be a fan that is fine but he is finished as a coach.

aker39
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Welcome him back in what role?

If they still had the police horses at the ground, he could pick up their shit, only problem is he may get confused by what's on the ground, and what's coming out of his mouth.

Mofra
09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Welcome him back in what role? If he wants to come and be a fan that is fine but he is finished as a coach.
No official role, as a fan/supporter/mentor. Didn't Terry Wheeler address the players not long ago, or was that just a mooted idea?

chef
09-03-2010, 05:41 PM

As a life member, not a job at the club.

Topdog
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
As a life member, not a job at the club.

I would accept him as that in 5 years if he stops using us to talk himself up.

Twodogs
09-03-2010, 06:52 PM
And come on, actively recruiting Jordan McMahon after he already knew all about him?

It was just an attempt to save his job. In Terry's mind Jordy would have more impact straight away than a raw recruit, Richmond win a couple more games and maybe Wallace gets another contract.

Geez I love Cal Ward!

EasternWest
09-03-2010, 08:20 PM
It was just an attempt to save his job. In Terry's mind Jordy would have more impact straight away than a raw recruit, Richmond win a couple more games and maybe Wallace gets another contract.
Geez I love Cal Ward!

Agreed and agreed.

But still, The outside running, contact shirking player that is Jordan is an exact replica of so many players that he had at Richmond. They needed someone who would stick their head over the ball and didn't mind the rough stuff.

Someone like Cal.

And he must have known just how mentally fragile Jordan appears to be (no disrespect intended, but his off-field troubles seem to have really diminshed his capacity as a player).

Doc26
09-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Welcome him back in what role?

Think he'd be a natural on organ with the Hyde Street Band.

Mantis
10-03-2010, 09:02 AM

I think he would be better suited to blowing his own trumpet.

LostDoggy
10-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Beating his own drum?

LostDoggy
10-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Yawn - who cares anyway? Yes, Wallace did some good things for us as a club, but he left, and then ended up at Richmond where he didn't fare any better really. But frankly, I don't give a damm anymore ::D

Twodogs
10-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Beating his own drum?

Mmmm, organ, blow, beat. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Be. Peurile:D.

EasternWest
10-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Mmmm, organ, blow, beat. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Be. Peurile:D.

Why? Fire away.

ledge
10-03-2010, 08:56 PM
No official role, as a fan/supporter/mentor. Didn't Terry Wheeler address the players not long ago, or was that just a mooted idea?

Difference there is Terry Wheeler is Bulldog through and through, Wallace isnt.
I would have Wheels back at the club no probs.

Mofra
12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
You don't think that the lingering bitterness shown towards Wallace seems a bit petty considering the water that has gone under the bridge since (mostly apologies on Wallace's part)?

Twodogs
12-03-2010, 01:15 PM

I'm going to pick you up on that. While Wallace might have played and won premierships at Hawthorn and coached Richmond he spent much longer with us than he did at Hawthorn and Richmond combined.

I reckon, in fact I know, if you asked him which footy club he holds closest to his heart it's the doggie's. He played for us, he coached us and there's a fair bit of his blood (and a few teeth!) embedded in the Whitten Oval turf.

I dont want him involved on the footy side of things but there's plenty of room on the bandwagon for Terry.

Mofra
12-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I reckon, in fact I know, if you asked him which footy club he holds closest to his heart it's the doggie's. He played for us, he coached us and there's a fair bit of his blood (and a few teeth!) embedded in the Whitten Oval turf.
He mentioned that in an interview a couple of months back - he still sees himself as a doggies man and his kids barrack for the Bulldogs

ledge
12-03-2010, 02:56 PM
He mentioned that in an interview a couple of months back - he still sees himself as a doggies man and his kids barrack for the Bulldogs

If thats the case why did he do what he did?

ledge
12-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm going to pick you up on that. While Wallace might have played and won premierships at Hawthorn and coached Richmond he spent much longer with us than he did at Hawthorn and Richmond combined.

I dont want him involved on the footy side of things but there's plenty of room on the bandwagon for Terry.

A choice between Wallace and Wheeler, Wheeler by a country mile.

Mofra
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
If thats the case why did he do what he did?
You mean go to another club to extend his coaching career when it was clear he had lost the support of the playing group anyway? Then later admitting his faults (which not all ex-players have)?

Yes, he left in messy circumstances but I find the ongoing vitriol from fans embarrassing and to be honest a bit pathetic. He is an ex-player and ex-coach who helped rid ourselves of a loser mentality and tolerated no "survival only" culture.

Do we bar Libba from the club for working at Carlton?
Our greatest B&F winner is on staff at Melbourne.
Hawkins - the ex-Fitzroy player. I don't want him barred either,
Even EJ completed a pre-season at North.

At some point I think fans have to stop acting like Veruca Salt and consider accepting an apology from someone who appears genuinely contrite.

ledge
12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Gee I have never had so many words put into my mouth, my point was I would rather have Wheeler than Wallace any day, I havent heard anyone say different yet.
If Wheeler isnt more Bulldog than Wallace I would be astounded.

ledge
12-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, he left in messy circumstances but I find the ongoing vitriol from fans embarrassing and to be honest a bit pathetic
For me to prefer a certain person over another because I think one is more genuine than the another?
Thats not pathetic thats just how I see it.

Mofra
12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Who is putting words in anyone's mouth, apart from yours to mine ledge?

a. You started comparing Wheeler to Wallace - go for it, it's kind of off topic though (nobody else raised it as a comparison)
b. Now you're subscribing comments of a general nature to yourself only? Again, go for it but it is off the mark.

stefoid
12-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I think he is perfectly within his rights as a 'career coach' to go elsewhere for money, but its the typical way he went about it that rankles, consider:

The various reasons he had for quitting the bulldogs were:

a) poorly funded footy department
b) he had taken this playing group as far as he could (not sure if that means he was a dud coach or a backhander to the players?)

But everybody knows he had a handshake deal to coach the swans on big bikkies. Hes just a liar.

And did he break his contract with the bulldogs with one year to go as well? so he ha signed a contract with the bulldogs but gets a betetr offer and breaks it, thats why the bullies took legal action against him.

This is how I recall it.

Twodogs
12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
But everybody knows he had a handshake deal to coach the swans on big bikkies. Hes just a liar.

And did he break his contract with the bulldogs with one year to go as well? so he ha signed a contract with the bulldogs but gets a betetr offer and breaks it, thats why the bullies took legal action against him.

This is how I recall it.

OK so the Sydney thing is the elephant in the room I grant you. Elephants I guess if you take the contract situation into account but hey 2001 was a weird year with all sorts of rumours flying around about players and staff. Brown would only sign if such and such left, Darcy would only sign if we got another ruckman via a trade from another club-I even remember one ridiculous rumour that Terry was off to coach Freo for some bizzare reason that I cant even remember but it was a doozy! Even Smorgo was a bit out there with some public comments he made. It was a strange year

I always thought that the bottom line with Wallace's departure was it came at exactly the right time. He had lost the players and he knew it.

Twodogs
12-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Gee I have never had so many words put into my mouth, my point was I would rather have Wheeler than Wallace any day, I havent heard anyone say different yet.
If Wheeler isnt more Bulldog than Wallace I would be astounded.

The other point is we dont have to choose. We can have them both.

Ted sits at the top and Doug sits at his feet mate. Just like outside the Braybrook. Then there's Charlie.

The rest of us love the red, white and blue and are equal fourth. All of us.

ledge
12-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Good point Twodogs and Mofra one of your posts bought up Wheeler first.
As far as comparing, yeah as you did compare by mentioning Wheeler and him being at the club.

I think Wallace was probably at the club one year too long in hindsight.
The club is probably to blame too in some way in signing him again because from what I remember the rumblings were there before.
But its not like we ever had money to sign a better coach anyway.

As reasons pointed out in Stefoids post give me Wheeler anytime.

There are also players still at the club that were under Wallace and I just dont think it would go down well.
I would think there are still board members at the club that were involved in the court action against Wallace.
I am not a supporter who has it in for Wallace I recognize what he did at the club early was great but being at the club now is to early.

Be a member at this stage for sure but thats all.

Mofra
13-03-2010, 02:20 PM

Good point Twodogs and Mofra one of your posts bought up Wheeler first.
As far as comparing, yeah as you did compare by mentioning Wheeler and him being at the club.
Not comparing, just mentioning that there is a precedent in past coaches coming back to the club in some capacity - either as a player mentor, speaking to the players, or merely as a member bringing their kids to the footy. Again, nobody apart from yourself took it as meaning we had to choose.

In any case, the guy is most likely a member of the club, his kids support the club, he has publically apologised and also publically stated he sees himself as a Bulldogs man. I still find the lingering vitriol, such as some of the comments towards the beginning of this thread, embarrassing.

stefoid
13-03-2010, 03:32 PM
he has publically apologised and also publically stated he sees himself as a Bulldogs man. I still find the lingering vitriol, such as some of the comments towards the beginning of this thread, embarrassing.

well, thats the thing, isnt it? A man well known to be a self-serving liar 'apologizes' and claims he is a bulldog man. ha ha, phhtttt to that.

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Not comparing, just mentioning that there is a precedent in past coaches coming back to the club in some capacity - either as a player mentor, speaking to the players, or merely as a member bringing their kids to the footy. Again, nobody apart from yourself took it as meaning we had to choose.

In any case, the guy is most likely a member of the club, his kids support the club, he has publically apologised and also publically stated he sees himself as a Bulldogs man. I still find the lingering vitriol, such as some of the comments towards the beginning of this thread, embarrassing.

Why is it embarrassing? Part of the fun in being a supporter of a club is being able to vent. People scream every week at umpires yet in their normal day to day lives would never think of becoming such an ape. I love it when supporters become passionate about their club. And so Wallace should engender deep emotions, even now. Personally I was really disappointed when he left, the way he did. But it eventually brought us Eade and I am grateful for that as I feel much more in tune with his way of coaching. Wallace did make us competitive and did make us feel good about ourselves. But I have no problem with people taking potshots at him because I think Bulldog supporters feel with their heart because of events over a lifetime that made us such poor relatives of the major clubs. and almost took our club under.

Mofra
13-03-2010, 04:46 PM
well, thats the thing, isnt it? A man well known to be a self-serving liar 'apologizes' and claims he is a bulldog man. ha ha, phhtttt to that.
I guess he's just a bigger man than some then ;)

Mofra
13-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Why is it embarrassing? Part of the fun in being a supporter of a club is being able to vent. People scream every week at umpires yet in their normal day to day lives would never think of becoming such an ape. I love it when supporters become passionate about their club. And so Wallace should engender deep emotions, even now. Personally I was really disappointed when he left, the way he did. But it eventually brought us Eade and I am grateful for that as I feel much more in tune with his way of coaching. Wallace did make us competitive and did make us feel good about ourselves. But I have no problem with people taking potshots at him because I think Bulldog supporters feel with their heart because of events over a lifetime that made us such poor relatives of the major clubs. and almost took our club under.
Fair post, but I have to ask; Was it embarrassing to vent at the time? No, not really. Now, Yes, absolutely.

To still mention it ad nauseum years later, like a scorned toddler, yes I'm embarrassed by it now. Maybe I am just a more forgiving person who doesn't like to linger on past events to the point where I will still choose to whine like a petulant child, but I think Wallace is sincere in his apology. He had nothing to gain by an apology to the board, the club & it's supporters - he's not angling for a job here, just wants to set things right. It takes a big person to apologise, and in some respects just as big a person to accept it.

I believe that to not accept an apology makes us the petty party in the transaction, especially considering his contribution to the club, how long ago all this occurred and the water under the bridge since.

Oh, and of course he effectively handed us Callan Ward :)

Sockeye Salmon
13-03-2010, 05:45 PM

Ted sits at the top and Doug sits at his feet mate. Just like outside the Braybrook. Then there's Charlie.

The rest of us love the red, white and blue and are equal fourth. All of us.

Chris Grant > Twodogs

No offence intended.

He just is.

Mofra
13-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Chris Grant > Twodogs
But we can have both :D

stefoid
13-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I guess he's just a bigger man than some then ;)

The point being that the words of a liar are worth 'phhht'

Doc26
14-03-2010, 12:27 AM
For the last 5+ years I've detested most things Terry and Nathan and kind of got a kick out of Richmond's failing over the period, seeing it as some form of karma for them being so disloyal to the red white and blue.

However I tend to agree that it's probably time to move on now and rise above the loathing I've had and welcome Terry back if he genuinely wants to be a part of the kennel again assuming it isn't just a continuation of his self promotion that he does exceed at.

chef
14-03-2010, 07:20 AM
The point being that the words of a liar are worth 'phhht'

But it's still not easy to apologise.

stefoid
14-03-2010, 07:42 AM
For the last 5+ years I've detested most things Terry and Nathan and kind of got a kick out of Richmond's failing over the period, seeing it as some form of karma for them being so disloyal to the red white and blue.

For his sins he was sentenced to 5 years coaching Richmond :)

gohardorgohome
14-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I wonder how Terry Wallace would have been regarded by Bulldogs fans had he moved on one year earlier than he did. As a player, assistant coach and coach he had a good record with limited resources.

You never get anywhere when you harbour bitterness. Successful people move on and learn.

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2010, 12:54 PM
I wonder how Terry Wallace would have been regarded by Bulldogs fans had he moved on one year earlier than he did. As a player, assistant coach and coach he had a good record with limited resources.

You never get anywhere when you harbour bitterness. Successful people move on and learn.

All he had to do was coach one more game and then walk away a couple of weeks later.

He was right about one thing, his time was up with us.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Chris Grant > Twodogs

No offence intended.

He just is.

But we can have both :D

The difference is that you are stuck with me. I aint going anywhere.

The Doctor
14-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Has Wallace claimed credit for Barry Hall yet?