PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs v Saints GF

ledge
07-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Lets get this thread started with a week to go.
Saints starved like us, who will play, who wont for both teams?
Will both clubs be full on?

Apart from it being silverware and the status of winning a big game, as far as the loser is concerned, the press reports the side cant win etc etc
Monkey off the back would be good.

Eade has to have more riding on this cup than just preparing for round 1, win it , membership probably go up a little more, players confidence that will help in September.
Beating the saints is a big thing too we seem to struggle with them lately.

Thoughts on all things leading up to this game?

DOG GOD
07-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I think both teams will be going in with fairly competitive sides. Hayes wont play for them but i would think that Reiwoldt and Goddard would make an appearance. Cant stand the saints personally and would love to knock them off here.

Like the pre-lim last year, if we can match their intensity for the 4 qtrs we are a chance. Skill level will have to be good and cant allow players like Jones and Armatige to get loads of ball. Dal must be pressured and Milne needs to be knocked out :)

It will be a good test thats for sure. They made freo look 2nd rate. This might prove just how good a year we are in for.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 05:58 PM
yeah i like the idea of milne being knocked out.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 06:08 PM
you would expect to see Goddard and Roo back in their side this week...both teams will be fielding their strongest sides to date.

Pressure is the key as usual and this is an area that we seem to have focused on over the summer in terms of consistent pressure over the 4 qaurters.

im expecting to see a physical tough match..the perfect lead in to round 1, we have the skill and talent to beat them and im really hoping we do..the positives to winning the NAB cup are huge.

P.S. i would love nothing more than to see that rat Milne get his nose shited to one side of his face!!

GVGjr
07-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Would it be worth the Dogs playing someone like Callan as a way of expanding the number of players gaining some experience during the NAB Cup campaign?
He would also match up very well on Milne.

Perhaps the Ins could contain Callan, Giansiracusa, Hudson and maybe Markovic and the Outs having Roughead, Mulligan, Hahn (rested) and Eagleton (rested).

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 06:21 PM
so you're expecting Johnno to miss again?

i think the ins/outs will be:

OUTS= Mulligan, Roughead, Addison

INS= Hudson, Gia, Johnno

I think Harbrow or even Morris will take the rat...with Williams to get first crack on Rooey

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 06:33 PM
With the knock Harbrow got to his shoulder and if he pulled up sore at all, I think it'd be a good idea to rest him..

In- Johnno, Huddo, Gia

Out- Harbrow, Roughie, Mulligan

We have Lake, Morris, Williams down back which will have Roo & Kozzy covered.

ledge
07-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Harbrow or Callan on Milne I would think as they can make Milne pay running off him.
Morris isnt the run off type and thats the way I imagine putting Milne in 2 minds, to run away or to watch his man on the rebound.

azabob
07-03-2010, 06:46 PM
I think Roughead should play. I think he deserves to play and the more game time he gets the better for our club. For the upcoming season and the future.

I would look to sub Hudson and Hahn at half time.

If Roughead doesn't play Saturday night I think its fairly safe to assume he wont play at all during the season unless Minson or Hudson is injured.

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Latest StKilda news: Lenny Hayes will miss with a calf problem.

chef
07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I think Roughead should play. I think he deserves to play and the more game time he gets the better for our club. For the upcoming season and the future.

I would look to sub Hudson and Hahn at half time.

If Roughead doesn't play Saturday night I think its fairly safe to assume he wont play at all during the season unless Minson or Hudson is injured.

Not sure that Saturday nights selection has anything to do with it, but Roughead will struggle to play much during the season if Minson and Hudson are fit all year. I expect Hudson to be rested at some stage and Roughie to get a couple of games if all goes to plan.

comrade
07-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Based on form, Eagleton should make way but considering he's coming off an injury set back, I'd imagine he'll play just to get another run into his legs.

His Round 1 spot is definitely up for grabs - guys like Ward, Wood, Picken and Everitt should pull out all the stops to impress next week.

ledge
07-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I was just looking at the AFL site to find ticket prices for GF but cant find anything, does anyone have any info?
Says they wont go on sale until Tuesday, thats fine but if I am buying a few I need to get price so I can collect money.

Go_Dogs
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Based on form, Eagleton should make way but considering he's coming off an injury set back, I'd imagine he'll play just to get another run into his legs.

His Round 1 spot is definitely up for grabs - guys like Ward, Wood, Picken and Everitt should pull out all the stops to impress next week.

Agree on both counts.

Could well be a pretty intense game, as I'm sure the Saints will have a few guys trying to ensure they get a gig for Rd 1 too.

Max469
07-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I was just looking at the AFL site to find ticket prices for GF but cant find anything, does anyone have any info?
Says they wont go on sale until Tuesday, thats fine but if I am buying a few I need to get price so I can collect money.

and this from Bulldogs site:

6:57 PM Sun 07 March, 2010

Match Details

Event: 2010 NAB Cup Grand Final, Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
Venue: Etihad Stadium, Docklands
Date: Saturday 13 March 2010
Game Time: 7.10pm

Reserved seating will be sold on Level 1 and Level 2.

General admission will provide access to Level 3 (and any unsold seating areas on Level 1).

Tickets will be on sale at 9am on Monday, March 8 through Ticketmaster on 1300 136 122, online at ticketmaster.com.au or via any Ticketmaster outlet.

These details are subject to AFL approval.lldogs site:

ledge
07-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I wish the AFL would get its act together on the AFL site says tickets on sale Tuesday not Monday also no prices!
Thanks Max469.
Just one more thing ..f***ing stupid AFL and its communication with clubs on details, firstly last week and is it Adelaide or Melb now this!

Max469
07-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I wish the AFL would get its act together on the AFL site says tickets on sale Tuesday not Monday also no prices!
Thanks Max469.
Just one more thing ..f***ing stupid AFL and its communication with clubs on details, firstly last week and is it Adelaide or Melb now this!

and tomorrow is a public holiday...mmm

LostDoggy
07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
This is ridiculous you cant get anywhere on the ticketmaster website for this game its not even advertised.. also AFL website tells us one thing and the club tells us another.

My mate is gunna get up at 9am tomorrow just incase. Better to be safe than sorry..

stefoid
07-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Hall and a fit Murph should drastically improve our scoring potential against the Saints.

We looked pretty wobbly under pressure form Port, however. I think the Saints had a much easier game than us. Maybe that will stand us in good stead. I dont think they have been put under the pump by the opposition as yet.

Certainly after playing Port then the saints, we are going to be primed for round 1 against the pies.

ledge
07-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Hall and a fit Murph should drastically improve our scoring potential against the Saints.

We looked pretty wobbly under pressure form Port, however. I think the Saints had a much easier game than us. Maybe that will stand us in good stead. I dont think they have been put under the pump by the opposition as yet.
Certainly after playing Port then the saints, we are going to be primed for round 1 against the pies.

Won 2 games by a point, would imagine they have had a bit of pressure on them in those 2 games.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-03-2010, 10:08 PM

You know if we had of kicked straight the game would have been over at 1/2 time. Yes I fully agree it's a fantastic opportunity for our squad in the lead y to round one.

I will miss the Melbourne game out a casey fields like last year, well maybe not we got as wet as a shag out their.

chef
08-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Won 2 games by a point, would imagine they have had a bit of pressure on them in those 2 games.

Yeah, both games were pretty frenetic at the ends.

The Pie Man
08-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Tickets are most definitely on sale right now - just got tickets, Level 1 section 12, row L.

Only $7 difference b/w reserved seating and general admission.

LostDoggy
08-03-2010, 01:31 PM
anyone know what the prize money is for winning the nab cup gf?

Mantis
08-03-2010, 01:44 PM
anyone know what the prize money is for winning the nab cup gf?

I think the winner gets $350K.

R/U gets $160K.

LostDoggy
08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Awesome thanks!

bornadog
08-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I think the winner gets $350K.

R/U gets $160K.

That will sure help the coffers.

jazzadogs
08-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Was the "Win NAB Cup and AFL Premiership in the same year and we'll give you $1 million" only a one-off thing? Because if so, Geelong missed out big time...and so will we ;)

LostDoggy
08-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Was the "Win NAB Cup and AFL Premiership in the same year and we'll give you $1 million" only a one-off thing? Because if so, Geelong missed out big time...and so will we ;)

No I believe that went out in 2008 which sucks for Geelong who did it last year :rolleyes:

Mantis
09-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Mike Sheahan stated that the winner receives $180K in an article in the Herald Sun this morning.

(I used figures I found in an old article, but they may have been from last year - Would the AFL reduce the winners cheque by half??)

LostDoggy
09-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm having mixed feelings about this game -- of course you never go out wanting to lose, but if it came down to it, as long as we have a serious hit out I don't really care (the money would be nice though).

The thing is, a side like the Saints are hard enough to beat three/four times a season without wasting one of those wins on a nothing game and give them ammunition for later in the real season. I have a theory that the top sides are 50/50 against each other, which means that on the strength of percentages we would only win on average one out of every two games against the top teams (Geelong, Saints, Collingwood, Hawthorn). This is sort of borne out by results in the last couple of seasons where we've won one/lost the next one or lost one/won the next one against all of the above, usually in close-ish games.

I'd rather lose this one and win the big one than the other way around, if that makes any sense.

The flipside is of course some teams you get the wood on and always beat regardless of ladder position, so it would be great if we could start whopping the Saints everytime we met a la 2008. In any case, on previous form we lost a close Prelim to the Saints so we're every chance of beating them this weekend, and the odds of my 50/50 theory would suggest we would get up.

ps. I don't think we looked that bad against Port -- they were obviously playing as hard as they could (see their very passionate huddles and team talks) to try to make a statement against a top 4 side, while we were clearly cruising a bit.

Mantis
09-03-2010, 11:39 AM
For me the only imortance of this game is the opposition and how we deal with them. What I want to see is the following:

* We need to kick goals - Last season in our 3 games against St.Kilda we only kicked 11, 9 & 7 goals. Even in our practice game against them at the start of the 09 season we only kicked 7 or 8 goals. We need to find a way to break down their defensive zone. A fit Murphy and the addition of Hall will no doubt help the cause. (I guess we don't want give too much away, but a 80+ pt total would be nice)

* Cooney has to beat Jones, Coon is too important to us to be stopped by my newest least favourite player.

* We must nullify Riewoldt; a Morris & Williams tag team effort can hopefully do that job.

-----

Hayes is a MASSIVE out for the Saints, he willed them over the line in the PF and his loss probably swings the ledger in our favour.

LostDoggy
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Hayes is a MASSIVE out for the Saints, he willed them over the line in the PF and his loss probably swings the ledger in our favour.

Probably? Great point -- Hayes doesn't play the PF last year, the Dogs make the Grand Final, probably even beat the Saints in a landslide. As simple as that. Our on-ballers were all over them like white on rice for two and a half quarters and the only Sainter winning the ball in those moments to continually frustrate the momentum was Hayes, who was simply in a different world to everyone else on the park that night. Bastard. ;)

Go_Dogs
09-03-2010, 12:24 PM

Certainly is. He's just a superstar Hayes, and his hardness, and skill level will be sorely missed. I think with him out, we have a bit more strength and hardness at the clearances and should be able to take a bit of ascendency there.

Mofra
09-03-2010, 01:07 PM
* We need to kick goals - Last season in our 3 games against St.Kilda we only kicked 11, 9 & 7 goals. Even in our practice game against them at the start of the 09 season we only kicked 7 or 8 goals. We need to find a way to break down their defensive zone. A fit Murphy and the addition of Hall will no doubt help the cause. (I guess we don't want give too much away, but a 80+ pt total would be nice)

* Cooney has to beat Jones, Coon is too important to us to be stopped by my newest least favourite player.

* We must nullify Riewoldt; a Morris & Williams tag team effort can hopefully do that job.

-----

* I think we will score more freely this time round; Murphy is fit, Hill is bigger and some bloke called Barry is in fine form. The long bomb to a swamped Hahn shouldn't occur this week.

* Cooney has looked good so far and actually having a pre-season will help; I would argue if Griffen plays like he did last week we could cover Cooney getting beaten, especially with Hayes out.

* A Morris with non-broken legs ;) I think Riewoldt has improved again (scary thought) so the run will do Williams good - his next opponent is likely to be Cloke so if he can match Riewoldt for a chunk of the game he should be primed to beat Cloke in round 1.

Mantis
09-03-2010, 01:36 PM
* I think we will score more freely this time round; Murphy is fit, Hill is bigger and some bloke called Barry is in fine form. The long bomb to a swamped Hahn shouldn't occur this week.

* Cooney has looked good so far and actually having a pre-season will help; I would argue if Griffen plays like he did last week we could cover Cooney getting beaten, especially with Hayes out.

I think these 2 points go hand in hand. If Cooney & Griffen fire we will get quick/clean ball going forward and it will allow our forwards to find space in an otherwise heavily guarded area.

Going back to rd 3 2008 against St.Kilda (A watershed game in my opinion) Cooney & Griffen put St.Kilda to the sword over the final 3 quarters combining for 53 touches, 5 goals and 5 brownlow votes (Morris got the other vote holding Rooey to 10 touches and 2 oals). Put simply when these 2 fire we will take a fair bit of stopping.

* A Morris with non-broken legs ;) I think Riewoldt has improved again (scary thought) so the run will do Williams good - his next opponent is likely to be Cloke so if he can match Riewoldt for a chunk of the game he should be primed to beat Cloke in round 1.

Yep the Riewoldt challenge (no bigger challenge in the game) comes at just the right time for Tom. He has all the physical attributes to go with Sir Nick for large chunks of the game so I guess we all readily await this contest.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-03-2010, 03:19 PM
I think these 2 points go hand in hand. If Cooney & Griffen fire we will get quick/clean ball going forward and it will allow our forwards to find space in an otherwise heavily guarded area.

Going back to rd 3 2008 against St.Kilda (A watershed game in my opinion) Cooney & Griffen put St.Kilda to the sword over the final 3 quarters combining for 53 touches, 5 goals and 5 brownlow votes (Morris got the other vote holding Rooey to 10 touches and 2 oals). Put simply when these 2 fire we will take a fair bit of stopping.

One of the best games I've been to.

Cooney and Griffen have never been able to fire quite like that since. If we're going to take the next step, we need to see more of it. Higgins too. West Coast had Judd, Cousins and Kerr as the three superstars. Brisbane had Voss, Black, Lappin and Akermanis. Geelong had/has Ablett, Selwood, Enright. For us to really put some of these top sides to the sword then we need the likes of Cooney, Griffen and Higgins to fire at the same time.

For whatever reason, one or two of them seem to have their influence curbed. On that night v St. Kilda in 2008, though - that was something else.

Yep the Riewoldt challenge (no bigger challenge in the game) comes at just the right time for Tom. He has all the physical attributes to go with Sir Nick for large chunks of the game so I guess we all readily await this contest.

Has Williams ever played on Riewoldt before? I can't seem to recall it. How has he done?

It might help his game playing on Rooy as he'll be right in the thick of action. His objective will be to follow in Rooy's footsteps. He's probably struggled in the past when playing on the lesser talented players. Constantly being led to the ball may help his confidence - so long as he doesn't burn out too early.

Mantis
09-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Probably? Great point -- Hayes doesn't play the PF last year, the Dogs make the Grand Final, probably even beat the Saints in a landslide. As simple as that. Our on-ballers were all over them like white on rice for two and a half quarters and the only Sainter winning the ball in those moments to continually frustrate the momentum was Hayes, who was simply in a different world to everyone else on the park that night. Bastard. ;)

Jones also won some important clearances.

Our rucks were also out-pointed at some crucial stages to give Hayes and co. clean ball.

* Yep, I am a sadist who has watched the replay a couple of times.

Sedat
10-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Going back to rd 3 2008 against St.Kilda (A watershed game in my opinion)
And if you want a watershed moment in the watershed game, it was Griffen doing his best Steven Kolyniuk impersonation by taking on Blake (who was manning the mark) and slotting a goal on the run from 50 metres out to kick start our comback from 6 goals down early in the 2nd qtr.

LostDoggy
10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
[QUOTE=Lantern;140063]I'm having mixed feelings about this game -- of course you never go out wanting to lose, but if it came down to it, as long as we have a serious hit out I don't really care (the money would be nice though).

I'd rather lose this one and win the big one than the other way around, if that makes any sense.

Lantern, after thinking about this, I have to agree with you. I think it will be a genuine yardstick of how far we have come. Yes, we have beaten the Saints (and other top sides) the last couple of years, but when it counted, in a big one, we just missed. I'm hoping that I will see a serious hitout and a bulldog side that believes it will win each and every week. (I have to admit that at times, I'm also closing my eyes and wishing it was September already :o)

LostDoggy
10-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Just saw something weird on the Betfair Website..
Match odds are Western Bulldogs $1.93 to St.Kilda $1.95
But to win the NAB Cup St. Kilda are $1.93 and the Western Bulldogs are $2.02
This doesn't seem right..

EasternWest
10-03-2010, 07:33 PM

Interested to know why you think this Mantis. As a general rule, I can't stand the Saints, but I really don't mind Jones.

And Hayes is a flat out gun. Leader and worker. Love him.

Go_Dogs
10-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Just saw something weird on the Betfair Website..
Match odds are Western Bulldogs $1.93 to St.Kilda $1.95
But to win the NAB Cup St. Kilda are $1.93 and the Western Bulldogs are $2.02
This doesn't seem right..

So, we can win the match and still not get the silverware? :confused:

LostDoggy
10-03-2010, 08:44 PM
So, we can win the match and still not get the silverware? :confused:

I dont know how that would happen..
Stupid Betfair.

Keepa Movin' Griff
10-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Betfair don't put the prices up, punters do! It does seem strange they have opened a game market, where they could have just piggy-backed on the Cup result.

The Pie Man
10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Jones also won some important clearances.

Our rucks were also out-pointed at some crucial stages to give Hayes and co. clean ball.

* Yep, I am a sadist who has watched the replay a couple of times.

I watched it when I got home as I flat out could not sleep, but was also drunk of my oorse - was Gilbee's shot on the run in the last quarter really touched off the boot as called by Ch 7 at the time?

Hayes kept winning important possessions, I would love him more than St Nick if I was a Saints fan

Mantis
10-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Interested to know why you think this Mantis. As a general rule, I can't stand the Saints, but I really don't mind Jones.

Don't like the way he plays in his tagging role. Holds on too much around the contests and doesn't always face the contest preferring to watch his opponent.... I'm not a fan of players who play the game this way and think he gets too much latitude from the umps.

Perhaps he will change the way he plays the role, but at present I don't like it... But he is pretty effective.

I watched it when I got home as I flat out could not sleep, but was also drunk of my oorse - was Gilbee's shot on the run in the last quarter really touched off the boot as called by Ch 7 at the time?

Nah he just shanked it.

A Saints player came across him just as he was about to pull the trigger which made him change his running angle.

Mantis
11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Squads:

NAB CUP
WESTERN BULLDOGS v ST KILDA

Western Bulldogs

1. Jarrad Grant
2. Robert Murphy
3. Andrejs Everitt
4. Daniel Cross
5. Matthew Boyd
7. Shaun Higgins
8. Mitch Hahn
9. Lindsay Gilbee
10. Nathan Eagleton
12. Tom Williams
13. Daniel Giansiracusa
14. Callan Ward
15. Ben Hudson
16. Ryan Griffen
17. Adam Cooney
20, Josh Hill
21. Jason Akermanis
22. Dylan Addison
23. Jordan Roughead
25. Ryan Hargrave
27. Will Minson
28. Barry Hall
29. Easton Wood
33. Tim Callan
36. Brian Lake
38. Dale Morris
40. Jarrod Harbrow
42. Liam Picken
44. Brodie Moles

St.Kilda

1 Jason Gram
2 Steven King
4 Clint Jones
5 Ben McEvoy
6 Zac Dawson
10 Steven Baker
11 Leigh Montagna
12 Nick Riewoldt
13 Adam Schneider
14 Jarryn Geary
18 Brendon Goddard
19 Sam Gilbert
20 David Armitage
21 Nick Heyne
22 Farren Ray
23 Justin Koschitzke
25 Sam Fisher
26 Nick Dal Santo
27 Jason Blake
28 Rhys Stanley
29 Tom Lynch
30 Brett Peake
32 Andrew McQualter
33 James Gwilt
38 Will Johnson
39 Alistair Smith
44 Stephen Milne
45 Luke Miles
49 Steven Gaertner

EasternWest
11-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Don't like the way he plays in his tagging role. Holds on too much around the contests and doesn't always face the contest preferring to watch his opponent.... I'm not a fan of players who play the game this way and think he gets too much latitude from the umps.

Perhaps he will change the way he plays the role, but at present I don't like it... But he is pretty effective.

Fair enough, I'll watch him a bit more closely from now on.

mighty_west
11-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Would he be as much of a cheat as Cameron Ling?

LostDoggy
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Would he be as much of a cheat as Cameron Ling?

All taggers (except Brett Kirk and our very own Picken) play on or just over the line. It's just the nature of the job, and at least Lingy gets his own ball.

I don't have any problems with players not looking at the ball, by the way, there's nothing in the rules that say that you're not allowed to look whichever way you like (in fact, not facing the ball and getting your body shape facing in the right direction is the correct technique and one of the first things defenders in most ball sports are taught) and run wherever you like, as long as you're not illegally stopping another player from getting to the ball. But isn't shepherding exactly that, minus the illegal part?

Having said that, Jones and Jake King are the biggest cheats in the game and should be rubbed out.

Mofra
12-03-2010, 01:08 PM
All taggers (except Brett Kirk and our very own Picken) play on or just over the line. It's just the nature of the job, and at least Lingy gets his own ball.

Picken is ok 99% of the time - I remember one marking contest where Delideo went nuts and had to leave the field under the blood rule shortly after. Picken must have got him a beauty, and unlike some of the scraggers he did it in the contest as well.

I thought Picken did a pretty good job on Pearce last weekend and would be odds-on to play rnd 1 as long as he contributes again on Saturday night.

Twodogs
12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
The long bomb to a swamped Hahn shouldn't occur this week.

I'm interested in Hahn's role this year. It just wont seem right to see him try and get possession without four defenders hanging off various bits of him.

Nah he just shanked it.

Gilbs shanks one a year-I mean shots at goals, not field kicking. It just had to be then didnt it?

Mofra
12-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm interested in Hahn's role this year. It just wont seem right to see him try and get possession without four defenders hanging off various bits of him.
He seemed to play "big guy no 2" againt Port, yet against the Hawks after his forays forward he took a centre bounce and went back to play on Buddy for a bit, playing the Welsh tallish-swingman role of 2009.

Will have to wait to see what his role is, but perhaps there is no one role and his flexibility as a player will be utilised depending on the opponent?

Bumper Bulldogs
13-03-2010, 09:02 AM
And if you want a watershed moment in the watershed game, it was Griffen doing his best Steven Kolyniuk impersonation by taking on Blake (who was manning the mark) and slotting a goal on the run from 50 metres out to kick start our comback from 6 goals down early in the 2nd qtr.

This was one of the best plays I've seen, Cooney against Cox was also good.

The dogs need to win tonight and I,m sure Morris will demand first crack at Roo to complete unfinished business. I like that as it would allow Tommy gun to towel up Kosi, that would pump him up for a crack at Cloke.

Dogs y 24 points:)

GVGjr
13-03-2010, 09:14 AM
How does everyone see the key defensive match-ups for us?

Lake on Riewoldt seems a certainty so I suppose it's Williams on Koschitske.

Who gets Milne and any of the resting ruckman the Saints are likely to throw forward?

The Coon Dog
13-03-2010, 09:19 AM

Who gets Milne and any of the resting ruckman the Saints are likely to throw forward?

I'd like to see Williams take Riewoldt , Lake on Koschitske, Morris on Milne & Shaggy on Schnieder.

GVGjr
13-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I'd like to see Williams take Riewoldt , Lake on Koschitske, Morris on Milne & Shaggy on Schnieder.

Would Everitt be the player to match-up on any resting ruckman?

Mantis
13-03-2010, 09:47 AM

I would go Morris on Riewoldt for the first 15 or so minutes of each quarter with Williams to follow. If we are going well I would play Williams on Riewoldt for an extended period.

Lake to Kosi as Brian seems to enjoy playing on the less mobile forwards, Riewoldt would be too quick on the lead and would run him around too much. Plus Lake flogged Kosi in the PF so it would be great if he could do so again to further dent Kosi's confidence against our team.

Williams could pick up the other big man when not on Riewoldt and could probably get help from Everitt, but personally I don't really want to see Everitt playing in defence on a similiarly sized opponent.

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 10:44 AM
The day is finally here, COME ON DOGGIES!!!

Hotdog60
13-03-2010, 10:52 AM
I think Brian Lake to Justin Koschitzke, Dale Morris to Nick Riewoldt and Tom Williams to Ben McEvoy.

With Ryan Hargrave taking Adam Schneider and Tim Callan on Stephen Milne this leaves Dylan Addison to take who's left.

Word has it that Goddard will go forward at stages to this year also.

robb
13-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Will Lake try and harass roo again?

Now that would get the juices going before the bounce.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I would go Morris on Riewoldt for the first 15 or so minutes of each quarter with Williams to follow. If we are going well I would play Williams on Riewoldt for an extended period.

Lake to Kosi as Brian seems to enjoy playing on the less mobile forwards, Riewoldt would be too quick on the lead and would run him around too much. Plus Lake flogged Kosi in the PF so it would be great if he could do so again to further dent Kosi's confidence against our team.

Agree with all you said.

Hopefully we see Everitt playing further up the ground and not in defence, and we'll probably see the same from Gilbee I suspect, leaving Hargrave and Harbrow to be the attacking defenders. I'd like to see Gilbee play on Montagna.

Getting pretty excited for the game now, should be a cracker!

The Coon Dog
13-03-2010, 11:46 AM
With Ryan Hargrave taking Adam Schneider and Tim Callan on Stephen Milne this leaves Dylan Addison to take who's left.
Is he playing? I didn't think he was.

Bulldog4life
13-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Tim Callan was in the squad of 29. Does anyone know the 3 players who missed the cut?

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 12:27 PM
The difference would be a fit and firing Murphy. He was not himself last year, this year he looks the goodes.:)

Before I Die
13-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Is there any pre-game entertainment of any type tonight or is it simply business as usual?

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Thoughts on midfield match ups and their defensive match ups on our forward line?

The Coon Dog
13-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Tim Callan was in the squad of 29. Does anyone know the 3 players who missed the cut?

In: Huddo/Gia
Out: Mulligan/Roughy

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm glad Grant made the final team. Hope it leads to a good season from him.

Hotdog60
13-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Sorry TCD, I was going from the list at the start of the thread. I haven't taken omissions into account.:o

Hotdog60
13-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Thoughts on midfield match ups and their defensive match ups on our forward line?

I think Goddard whould be a player that needs to be shut down, they use him a lot. Would Picken be up for the role?

jazzadogs
13-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I think Goddard whould be a player that needs to be shut down, they use him a lot. Would Picken be up for the role?
I'm not sure the exact values, but I would think Goddard is too tall for Picken. Happy to be proven wrong. Having said that, he's still probably the best option for it.

Everitt would be a decent match size-wise, but I'd prefer to see him attacking than worrying about BJ.

Hot_Doggies
13-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Would of loved to see Grant get a game infront of the 'honest battler' brigade eg Addison, Callan, Moles and Picken

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I wonder if this game will be a sellout. I'm guessing only about 40k

G-Mo77
13-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Would of loved to see Grant get a game infront of the 'honest battler' brigade eg Addison, Callan, Moles and Picken

Please :rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
13-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm glad Grant made the final team. Hope it leads to a good season from him.

No he didn't, he didn't play last week & won't tonight. All he's done is made up the squad.

Mofra
13-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure the exact values, but I would think Goddard is too tall for Picken. Happy to be proven wrong. Having said that, he's still probably the best option for it.

Everitt would be a decent match size-wise, but I'd prefer to see him attacking than worrying about BJ.
I think Goddard is way too big for Picken - he's 191, 192cm? Weight wise he'd be much bigger than Picken as well.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Picken go to the backline for stints and we will trial a head to head approach in the midfield, expecially with Hayes not playing.

If Goddard goes forward we may switch Williams to Riewoldt and run Morris with him for a stint. If Goddard is back, Hahn has the size and strength, maybe not the speed, to go with him. Goddard may be the guy try to peel off and block Hall's space, as his rebound would be devastating.

G-Mo77
13-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Heading off now guys. Hopefully will be back here and happy in the wee hours of the morning.

I'm not just hoping for a win I hope we annihilate these scum bags!

BornInDroopSt'54
13-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Heading off now guys. Hopefully will be back here and happy in the wee hours of the morning.

That's the spirit. Spoken like me, a true zealot.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 01:19 AM

I reckon you'd be pretty happy now then! :D

G-Mo77
14-03-2010, 02:34 AM
I reckon you'd be pretty happy now then! :D

Very happy mate, very. :)

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 02:45 AM
Very happy mate, very. :)

Same here. :)

GVGjr
14-03-2010, 09:18 AM
A good team effort last night.

Everitt and Willliams played excellent games.
Moles looks like he can slot into the side nicely.
The class of 99 all had good games ( in order Murphy, Hargrave, Giansiracusa, Hahn and then Gilbee just a step behind)
Hall capped off some great work up field and was clearly the best player on the night.
The twin towers of Hudson and Minson more than did their job.
Cooney was a solid contributor and Higgins showed class when needed and Griffen provided some spark.
Morris battled well and Lake and Harbrow capped off a great defensive unit.

It's a shame winning the competition isn't the financial windfall we would have hoped for.

I was very impressed by the way we went about winning the supposedly 'who cares cup'

DOG GOD
14-03-2010, 09:38 AM

Everitt and Willliams played excellent games.
The class of 99 all had good games ( in order Murphy, Hargrave, Giansiracusa, Hahn and then Gilbee just a step behind)
Hall capped off some great work up field and was clearly the best player on the night.
The twin towers of Hudson and Minson more than did their job.
Cooney was a solid contributor and Higgins showed class when needed and Griffen provided some spark.
Morris battled well and Lake and Harbrow capped off a great defensive unit.

It's a shame winning the competition isn't the financial windfall we would have hoped for.

I was very impressed by the way we went about winning the supposedly 'who cares cup'

Agree with everything there GVG. I thought it was an awesome TEAM effort. I also was particularly pleased with Everitt and Williams. Both attacked the ball and on a few occasions Williams really threw himself into the pack to hold the ball in. Very pleasing to see.

How great it is to see both Murph and Gia injury free and fit. They will make a huge difference to our team if they can stay like this.

Harbrow's runs through the backline was great and i thought he held Milne relative quiet on the night. Lake killed Kosi again and Morris and Williams did an admirable job on the german diver considering he is their best player and heavily relied upon.

And big BARRY!!! I'm sure its already been said....he is our MESSIAH!!!!! :)

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Baaaaarrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy BBBBBBaaaaaaaarrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy

comrade
14-03-2010, 09:44 AM
What are everyone's thoughts on the playing group's post-match reaction. I thought it was a great sign that they obviously enjoyed the win, but it was obvious that this is just a step towards ultimate glory.

The Coon Dog
14-03-2010, 09:51 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/03/14/1225840/462446-nab-cup.jpg

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/03/14/1225840/462966-nab-cup.jpg

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/03/13/1225840/441387-nab-cup.jpg

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2010/03/14/1225840/457011-nab-cup.jpg

Pics courtesy Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/photo-gallery/gallery-e6frf94x-1225840415640?page=1)

The Underdog
14-03-2010, 10:01 AM
What are everyone's thoughts on the playing group's post-match reaction. I thought it was a great sign that they obviously enjoyed the win, but it was obvious that this is just a step towards ultimate glory.

They were happy but not over the top, clearly had perspective on what it meant and where it stood.

ledge
14-03-2010, 10:05 AM
One thing I did notice and was a little embarrassed about was when the players ran out on the ground, they had formed a line with kids and fireworks but the players actually ran off to the side leaving the poor kids a little lost.
Did anyone else see this and maybe we could get an answer why?

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2010, 10:16 AM
My observations are that it's like, "Just business" They are setting themselves for bigger fish. Coming off the ground they looked happy but not excited, I was wrapped for Smorgo and the staff, but felt sorry for Jonno. He looked unhappy walking off the ground and I;m sure it was just the fact that he has bleed for the club and would have loved to be out their.

only down side for me was the injury to Mitch & Ward.

I also thought that Picken did a good job but they should have sat him on DeSanto in the 2nd & 3rd Qtr's if he is not able to rub with these types then he should be looked at. It was also interesting to see that Schnider took him into his forward 50 and before the bounce Picken tried to peel off but Schnider ran the other way, he will learn from that I'm sure

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2010, 10:20 AM
One thing I did notice and was a little embarrassed about was when the players ran out on the ground, they had formed a line with kids and fireworks but the players actually ran off to the side leaving the poor kids a little lost.

Yes we sat 36 rows back right their. The issue was that the bloody people with the NAP cup equipment set up in the wrong place. The players ran out and headed straight for the cheer squad banner.

I did point this out to the people around me while waiting for the team to come out and they all agreed with this.

Pickenitup
14-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Great win by the boys i loved the way the guys reacted when we won very humble .
Loved Mitch's attack on the Footy gee i hope he can play Round1.
Must say a highlight was when Farren got heckled and he gave a few choice words and the bird
to the Doggie fans close by very funny

Before I Die
14-03-2010, 10:41 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/03/14/1225840/462446-nab-cup.jpg[/URL]

It appears that "The Beard" is very much focussed on Round 1. I note that though Ben Hudson is in the above victory photo, his beard apparently chose to stay in the changerooms.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Must say a highlight was when Farren got heckled and he gave a few choice words and the bird
to the Doggie fans close by very funny

Hahaha! What a struggler.

I missed the game, because I was at work (I was contemplating pretending I was dead so I could watch the game), so all the reports are fantastic!

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Agreed on all counts GVGjr. (Although haven't quoted all of your post).

We now know what that winning feeling is all about, and now the guys have to work hard all year so we can replicate that feeling in September.

Very impressive performance, and one that should fill us with the confidence and belief that we are indeed on the right track, and very, very close. I'm very excited and can't wait for Rd 1 now.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 11:52 AM

A few of my mates wanted to know all about him, where is he from, what's he like, etc etc. and then went off to change their DreamTeams. I reckon he would have gone straight into a few DTs on last night's performance!

He is just about my favorite player ATM-he just keeps putting his head over the ball, and emerging from packs with the ball under his arm.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 11:59 AM
I thought that one of our best performers last night was Rodney Eade.

Rocket seemed to be all over Lyon with his tactics (although it was difficult to tell what Lyon's key objectives were last night) and always had a move up his sleeve to counter any that Lyon made.

He bought Addison on at exactly the right time, St Kilda's attacking players were on their knees and DFA just made sure that the ball didnt go past him for the last part of the last quarter.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 12:05 PM
He bought Addison on at exactly the right time, St Kilda's attacking players were on their knees and DFA just made sure that the ball didnt go past him for the last part of the last quarter.

Do you think we can fit him in the side TD? I thought he was brilliant in very limited minutes.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Do you think we can fit him in the side TD? I thought he was brilliant in very limited minutes.

There will be a job for him some weeks but not other weeks. A lot of good players are going to be missing games this year unless we have a specific task/match up in mind for them for that particular week I reckon.

It's a good problem to have.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 12:14 PM
He is just about my favorite player ATM-he just keeps putting his head over the ball, and emerging from packs with the ball under his arm.

I think I'm going to be all on my lonesome, but I must say that whilst he has been a solid contributor, I must just not be seeing what everyone else is.

I thought he had played himself out of the side until his effort to gather and manoeuvre between a couple of Saints before dishing to Hill - that one passage of play being one of only a few good moments I thought he had. He has been fairly clean with his ball handling, but I think his disposal has been a bit suspect on occasion, and he is often caught just on the edges of a contest or between contests. He laid a couple of tackes, but isn't really overly defensive, and can struggle a little with the contested side of the game at times.

I think he can certainly offer us something, and I'm probably being a bit harsh in my assessment, but I think he is still going to be a borderline player for us, rather than someone who will thoroughly entrench themselves in our best 18. He is OK at most things, with the odd flash of something a bit more than that, but that is all. I do have him in my 22 at the moment though.

(Please don't hang me!)

ledge
14-03-2010, 12:39 PM
The last quarter was a little wierd from the Saints who at one stage were holdiing the ball up in the backline like they were 22points up and killing time.

If Nick Riewoldt isnt one of the protected species Barry Hall is innocent of all wrongdoing last year!

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 12:47 PM
and he is often caught just on the edges of a contest or between contests.

That's experience and adjusting to the two different paces of VFL and AFL football I reckon. After watching Boyd adjust and then Picken adjust last year after thinking neither had what it took I'm going to start giving the player and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt from now on.

He's got clean hands, desire and a job is there for him to do. I'm confident he can do it.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 12:50 PM
The last quarter was a little wierd from the Saints who at one stage were holdiing the ball up in the backline like they were 22points up and killing time.

It's prettty much their only game plan. Muck around with the ball across half back until Rooey is in position to have the ball kicked to him with the crumbers (Milne and the bloke from Sydney) at his feet. Apart from that they dont seem to have much.

If Nick Riewoldt isnt one of the protected species Barry Hall is innocent of all wrongdoing last year!

Yep. The umpires love him.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 12:56 PM

I could even see that from the other end of the ground (I was right near the Saints race... did look very silly. After the Saints ran out, some official-looking lady was running round in a skirt and heels, yellling and pointing at people. I think it was the fireworks equipment was left in place, and the players were back into their warmups. Panic ensued, said high-heeled/short-skirted lady even carry the "boxes" (I know that's the wrong word!) off the field.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 12:59 PM
And big BARRY!!! I'm sure its already been said....he is our MESSIAH!!!!! :)

He's not the Messiah, but he used to be a very naughty boy! :)

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Did anyone else notice how tiny that bloke from NAB who presented the cup was?

The cup was bigger than him!

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 01:20 PM

He's a deadset skunk. At most stoppages in the last 1/4 last night he just held Boyd back from the play either by standing directly in front of him with the palm of his hand on Boyd's chest or holding him by the back of the jumper. The umps just didnt seem to notice.

mighty_west
14-03-2010, 01:40 PM
He's a deadset skunk. At most stoppages in the last 1/4 last night he just held Boyd back from the play either by standing directly in front of him with the palm of his hand on Boyd's chest or holding him by the back of the jumper. The umps just didnt seem to notice.

I thought the AFL were going to crack down on taggers this year, be interesting to see what happens when Ling wraps his arms around Cooney everytime.

comrade
14-03-2010, 01:55 PM
I stood up out of my chair in the last quarter when Addison got absolutely pole axed between two Saints. I seriously thought he was decapitated.

The fact that he got up straight away proves the kid is as a hard as a cat's head.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I stood up out of my chair in the last quarter when Addison got absolutely pole axed between two Saints. I seriously thought he was decapitated.

The fact that he got up straight away proves the kid is as a hard as a cat's head.

Big Dyl fan, harder than a coconut that kid..

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 02:44 PM
He's not the Messiah, but he used to be a very naughty boy! :)

Very funny AndrewP6 - love your work :) BTW, I'm having a little trouble today "keeping a lid on it!". Just want to keep doing the happy dance, and pretend it's September :D Seriously though, bring it on, I think last night, the boys proved to themselves (and to me for sure) that they can match it (hopefully with any team) this year!

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:36 PM
(Please don't hang me!)

I don't agree with you on Brodie, but there's nothing wrong with what you said. You were fair and analytical.

IMO I think Brodie is a good pick up for us and would think with a bit more AFL exposure he'll become a very handy player.

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:37 PM

I love that kid.

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:38 PM
it appears that "the beard" is very much focussed on round 1. I note that though ben hudson is in the above victory photo, his beard apparently chose to stay in the changerooms.

ha ha ha

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Dylan didn't put a foot wrong last night, and I hope that if/when opportunities present themself this year he can take advantage of it.

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Rocket seemed to be all over Lyon with his tactics (although it was difficult to tell what Lyon's key objectives were last night) and always had a move up his sleeve to counter any that Lyon made.

I don't think rocket can take credit for that, per se. DFA came on as a sub when Mitch got hurt. Rocket's only choice was whether to bring on Addison or Wood.

aker39
14-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't think rocket can take credit for that, per se. DFA came on as a sub when Mitch got hurt. Rocket's only choice was whether to bring on Addison or Wood.

No, that's not right. DFA had already been subbed on for Eagleton

KT31
14-03-2010, 05:11 PM
On Rocket, did he leave the coaches box with five to go in the last quarter ?
And who was the girl coaching in the box instead ?

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2010, 05:32 PM
No, that's not right. DFA had already been subbed on for Eagleton

In that case it was a brilliant move.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Addison did a few things ok, but that's when we had the momentum already. Out of the few games Moles had played this was probably his 'worst' but he didn't make any bad choices, he just couldn't get himself into the game that much. Williams showed a lot of promise against a top quality side. Would've liked him to stay on Riewoldt a bit more though.

Remi Moses
14-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Lyon's objectives are Flood,and Flood Kick long to The Diver,Kick short to the cheating diver just kick in any vicinity to the Diver:confused:

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 11:24 PM
On another note I also really hate Gram from st. Kilda.

That is all.

jazzadogs
15-03-2010, 12:13 AM
On another note I also really hate Gram from st. Kilda.

That is all.
I'd have Milne and Dawson comfortably ahead of Gram on such a list. Why the Gram hate?

Hotdog60
15-03-2010, 12:33 AM
I've just finished watching the game again and there were 2 incidences that I thought look very poor.

The first one was Justin Koschitzke slamming Ward into the ground and then he attempted to kick him in the head as he was getting up.

The second one was Brendon Goddard kick on Harbrow as he was going past after Gilbee had run him down at the 21 minute mark in the last quarter.

comrade
15-03-2010, 12:59 AM
I've just finished watching the game again and there were 2 incidences that I thought look very poor.

The first one was Justin Koschitzke slamming Ward into the ground and then he attempted to kick him in the head as he was getting up.

The second one was Brendon Goddard kick on Harbrow as he was going past after Gilbee had run him down at the 21 minute mark in the last quarter.

Both were dirty incidents. Schneider also gave Picko a reverse headbutt after being brought down in a tackle.

Bunch of pricks.

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 10:02 AM
I'd have Milne and Dawson comfortably ahead of Gram on such a list. Why the Gram hate?

Oh I hate rat boy Milne to. But gram I think it's cos he Always seems to win the 50/50 balls against us and has a good kick on him. It's a respectful hate.

chef
15-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Oh I hate rat boy Milne to. But gram I think it's cos he Always seems to win the 50/50 balls against us and has a good kick on him. It's a respectful hate.

Having palm trees tattooed on his arm doesn't help either.

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 12:44 PM
It appears that "The Beard" is very much focussed on Round 1. I note that though Ben Hudson is in the above victory photo, his beard apparently chose to stay in the changerooms.

I thought that when I saw the photo too!! Reminds me of Wilson from Home Improvement - you never saw his whole face!! :D

Twodogs
15-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Both were dirty incidents. Schneider also gave Picko a reverse headbutt after being brought down in a tackle.

Bunch of pricks.

Yep, I saw that too.

jazzadogs
15-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Ahh, respectful hate. Fair enough then.

Wasn't happy with the Kosi kick, didn't see the others.