PDA

View Full Version : Train Disruptions - Sydenham Line - Saturday Night

aker39
10-03-2010, 08:53 AM
For those planning to catch the train using the Sydenham line on Saturday night, particularly coming home, just be aware that the trains will stop running at 8.00pm on Saturday night between Footscray & Watergardens & will be replaced with buses.

http://www.metrotrains.com.au/Service-Updates/Planned-Disruptions/Sydenham-line-buses-replace-trains-on-Saturday-13-March.html

Also, all trains on the Sydenham, Werribee, Upfield and Craigeburn lines will not travel through the city loop on Saturday.

wend1604
10-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for that info aker39 - it's always nice to be forewarned! This will affect me, so I will need to plan my return journey accordingly. Don't think I'll be too put out though, if we win! :D

ledge
10-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I live next to keilor plains railway station and to be honest I drive in and never have trouble getting in or out because I park next to festival hall and its so easy to get straight on dynon rd or the freeway.

LostDoggy
10-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Great if the trains are not going the Loop as it is a waste of time going the loop after Southern Cross on the way to Werribee, Watergardens, Sydenham, Upfield etc. By the way, last Friday when the Werribee line was using buses in the evenings from Newport onwards, it was quicker as each of the buses went to different destinations and didn't have all the stops the train has.

Twodogs
11-03-2010, 01:29 PM
That's cool. So long as they can get me to Footscray I should be able to stagger the rest of the way.

wend1604
11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Great if the trains are not going the Loop as it is a waste of time going the loop after Southern Cross on the way to Werribee, Watergardens, Sydenham, Upfield etc. By the way, last Friday when the Werribee line was using buses in the evenings from Newport onwards, it was quicker as each of the buses went to different destinations and didn't have all the stops the train has.

For those who catch the Sydenham line and don't already know about this, there is usually a 'football special' train direct from Southern Cross to Watergardens after most games at Etihad Stadium. The station staff at Southern Cross usually don't bother announcing it and prefer to 'herd' people towards the train going through the loop on the other platform. It usually leaves from platform 14, so it may be a good idea to look at the destination boards above the platforms.

Cheers :)

LostDoggy
11-03-2010, 04:54 PM
For those who catch the Sydenham line and don't already know about this, there is usually a 'football special' train direct from Southern Cross to Watergardens after most games at Etihad Stadium. The station staff at Southern Cross usually don't bother announcing it and prefer to 'herd' people towards the train going through the loop on the other platform. It usually leaves from platform 14, so it may be a good idea to look at the destination boards above the platforms.

I have to defend the staff at Southern X ...they work very hard in trying circumstances for very little money!!...plus,it's hard to make announcements when you are asleep!!:D

Twodogs
11-03-2010, 07:50 PM

I found that out on tuesday night after Victory's APL game. We were waiting on platform 11 for the Sydenham train (which was going through the loop) when an announcement came over saying that the next Sydenham train would be on P14.

We started heading that way when one of the staff told us that announcement might not be right. He said that they had been informed that the service had been cancelled but the information might not right! I ended up thinking "Bugger it, I'm heading for platform 14" luckily it turned up and we didnt have to go through the stoopid loop.

BTW why is it the 'Sydenham line" when the last station is Watergardens? Shouldnt it be the Watergardens line, or is that name owned by the Shopping centre or Westfields or somebody?

ledge
11-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I found that out on tuesday night after Victory's APL game. We were waiting on platform 11 for the Sydenham train (which was going through the loop) when an announcement came over saying that the next Sydenham train would be on P14.

We started heading that way when one of the staff told us that announcement might not be right. He said that they had been informed that the service had been cancelled but the information might not right! I ended up thinking "Bugger it, I'm heading for platform 14" luckily it turned up and we didnt have to go through the stoopid loop.

BTW why is it the 'Sydenham line" when the last station is Watergardens? Shouldnt it be the Watergardens line, or is that name owned by the Shopping centre or Westfields or somebody?

Well it was originally Sydenham, station still there they just dont use it.:D

wend1604
11-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I have to defend the staff at Southern X ...they work very hard in trying circumstances for very little money!!...plus,it's hard to make announcements when you are asleep!!:D

Point taken :)

I guess I tend to rant and rave about the Sydenham line a fair bit as I also use it to commute to and from work. I should try to remember that it is not the fault of the staff that the system itself requires improvements and constant maintenance. What's that old saying - that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? :D

LostDoggy
12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Well it was originally Sydenham, station still there they just dont use it.:D

I remember hearing at the time that the rail line was extended that the shopping centre paid to have the station named after the shopping centre....i can't confirm it as gospel though! In any case it will soon enough be the "Sunbury Line" as that project kicks off next month...

LostDoggy
12-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Point taken :)

I guess I tend to rant and rave about the Sydenham line a fair bit as I also use it to commute to and from work. I should try to remember that it is not the fault of the staff that the system itself requires improvements and constant maintenance. What's that old saying - that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? :D

Yep ..along with the Werribbee line it's the busiest for growth in the system, and you are right the entire system has been aloud to rot away by past governments of both sides of polotics! It's a disgrace really...but at least now both sides understand that something needs to be done and are planning to make public transport a major issue at the next state election!

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 06:23 PM
First time catching werribee train as we speak. Glad I don't have to get on a bus as used to live in Sydenham last year.