View Full Version : NAB GF Game Day thread

GVGjr
13-03-2010, 04:07 PM
OK, posts your predictions.

Winning team:
Margin:
First goal kicker:
Best on ground:

The people who can't get to the game can talk about how the game is panning out.

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Cant Waiiiiiiiiiit!

Doggies by 7pts
First Goal: BBBBBBH
Michael Tuck Medal: Brian Lake (only cause I had a punt on him @ $26)

BulldogBelle
13-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Winning team: Western Bulldogs
Margin: 26 points
First goal kicker: Barry Hall
Best on ground: Adam Cooney

Max469
13-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Winning team: Dogs

Margin: 15 pts

First goal kicker: Gia

Best on ground: Robert Murphy

AndrewP6
13-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Dogs by 11pts ***everything crossed***
First goal BAZZA!
BOG Murph

The Coon Dog
13-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Margin: 33 points
First goal kicker: Shaun Higgins
Best on ground: Shaun Higgins

The Pie Man
13-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Winning team: with Hayes out, I'm comfortable tipping us
Margin: 16 pts
First goal kicker: Hall to add to the hype
Best on ground: Gia (cos my wife thinks so....)

Keepa Movin' Griff
13-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Doggies by 15 points

First Goal = Aker
BOG = Coooooooooooon!!!!

Beast
13-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Margin: 3 points
First goal kicker: Mitch Hahn
Best on ground: Matthew Boyd

BornInDroopSt'54
13-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Dogs by 17
First goal Aker
BOG Griffen

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Winning team: Bulldogs
Margin: 1 point
First goal kicker: Barry Hall
Best on ground: Adam Cooney

DOG GOD
13-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Winning team - saints (due to the sooky roo factor)
margin - 17 pts
1st goal kicker - Hahn
Best on ground - sooky roo

**please dont jump me for not picking the dogs...i think tonight will be the test i am waiting for to see if i think we can take the next step. We cant afford to start like we did against port and play in patches. As was the case in last years Pre-lim, I think roo will be the difference tonight.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Margin: 9 points
First goal kicker: Ryan Griffen
Best on ground: Shaun Higgins

Note: Absolutely shattered I can't attend tonight. Earlier in the week, I wasn't too phased about it but right now I'm cursing the fact that I've got a close friend's birthday.

DOG GOD
13-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Thats unfortunate TBB. I'll have to do with my tv but wishing i was there. Round 3 cant come quick enough for me to get to see some LIVE action :)

Bulldog4life
13-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Margin: 10 points
First goal kicker: Rob Murphy
Best on ground: Matty Boyd

chef
13-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Margin: 37 points
First goal kicker: Mitch Hahn
Best on ground: Josh Hill

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 07:33 PM
OK, posts your predictions.

Winning team:
Margin:
First goal kicker:
Best on ground:

The people who can't get to the game can talk about how the game is panning out.

Doggies FTW
7 point margain
Griffin with the first major
Cooney for the BOG

Carn doggies! Do us proud in our first GF in 40 years!

The Coon Dog
13-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Couldn't believe that free to the German diver! Soft as butter.

chef
13-03-2010, 09:09 PM

The umpires make him easy to hate.

DOG GOD
13-03-2010, 09:11 PM

Looks like the umpires are going to pick up where they left off last year and "protect" him for 2010.

Chicago1
13-03-2010, 09:14 PM
I've been able to get a live stream, so it's great watching the match! Just finished off some home made sausage rolls and some hot chips with plenty of salt and vinegar. Not the best stuff to eat at 3am, but what the heck!

becmatty
13-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Chicago - what is the live stream??? I am in UK - can't find anything...!

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 09:27 PM
The umpires make him easy to hate.

Agreed can't blame him there - just shocking umpiring.

Loved Hall's tackle on Gwilt - imagine looking up and seeing that. Whatever you think of the Swans' style of play, they're all defenders and defensively minded.

I've been looking forward to Hall's defensive efforts wearing red, white and blue.

Chicago1
13-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Chicago - what is the live stream??? I am in UK - can't find anything...!

Check you PMs.

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Whatever the result, we're being flogged in the clearances.

Edit: We can't stop Riewoldt either.

Dry Rot
13-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Hahn's cheekbone looks bad. :(

FrediKanoute
13-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a fractured eye socket to Hahn. High price to pay for what is shaping up to be a win, but hey.......I am one happy dogggies fan here in London!

Chicago1
13-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Great game to watch. What a start to the year! Only 8 more sleeps until I leave. :D

Rance Fan
13-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I thought Hill, Eagleton, Cross, Gia, Murph, Aker and Ward seemed quiet at times and still one won by 40!!
Good signs...bring on rd 1 !!!

cinder
13-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Never been prouder!!!!
Yes it was only NAB Cup but we've broken the hoodoo, we've proved we can be winners against solid opposition, even when challenged. So many promising signs in that game, not to mention Barry and his influence. So excited about season 2010!!!!
Loved every second (I went!!!)

Jasper
13-03-2010, 11:54 PM
How classy was Murphy tonight? Bloody brilliant.

BulldogBelle
13-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Great game to watch. What a start to the year! Only 8 more sleeps until I leave. :D

Bet you are excited about that C1. :)

Dogs 24/7
14-03-2010, 12:00 AM
I thought Hill, Eagleton, Cross, Gia, Murph, Aker and Ward seemed quiet at times and still one won by 40!!
Good signs...bring on rd 1 !!!

Have we won many games without a significant input from Boyd and Cross? Shared workload

Chicago1
14-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Bet you are excited about that C1. :)
Sure am. :D Three whole weeks in Melbourne! Heaven!

Dry Rot
14-03-2010, 12:07 AM
How classy was Murphy tonight? Bloody brilliant.

Thought he was well nullified for most of tonight.

Greystache
14-03-2010, 12:14 AM
The last 3 games have easily been the best of Scott Welsh's career. He seems to have more physical presence this year!

Hotdog60
14-03-2010, 12:16 AM
The last 3 games have easily been the best of Scott Welsh's career. He seems to have more physical presence this year!

????????

cinder
14-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Assume that's a typo and you meant Barry Hall!!! Or someone else

Dry Rot
14-03-2010, 12:20 AM

Jesus, he's put on some muscle and height. Dunno about the new tatt and shaved head.

Must be an Adelaide thing.

Greystache
14-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Jesus, he's put on some muscle and height. Dunno about the new tatt and shaved head.

Must be an Adelaide thing.

Someone got it :p

it's amazing how you can feel so differently about seeing the ball being kicked in the direction of #28 from one season to the next!

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 12:28 AM
25 more games to go?
BRING IT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!

choconmientay
14-03-2010, 12:59 AM
TheAge got some nice pictures of the Bulldogs and fans in the NAB cup Grand final, including the actions how Hahn got injured (pictures 15) and a nice celebration of DaDruid (Picture 17)

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/sport/aussie-rules/nab-cup-final/20100313-q56w.html?selectedImage=0

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 01:06 AM
Terrific to get the silverware, even if it's the Who Cares Cup!!! A lot of positives to come out of this one. From my vantage point:
- Coon looks great in the middle, extracting the ball, moving well.
- Some of our kicking was awesome, pinpoint passes making it extra tough on the opponent.
- Williams had a good game, giving him some confidence.
- Everitt did some good things, hope he keeps working hard. It probably isn't in the textbook, but how good was his soccer goal??
- Higgins is one classy player. That supergoal, was, well, SUPER!
- Whilst we didn't play 4 quarters tremendously well, we showed good resolve when the Aints came at us. We'll need plenty of that in 2010. They had me worried conceding 3 to them at one point, but stuck at it, and managed to grab control back. We have to work on the lapses though.
- Hall. Hall. Hall. Hall. Hall. Hall. Man, that guy is a freak (in a good way!) Not only did he tackle, run hard, pressure the Aints, and scare the crap out of Dawson, but how good did it feel at the end to look up at the board and see:

"Hall 7 goals 1 behind."

Funny call from Doc Larkin on Triple M - "Barry Hall: 12 disposals, 7 goals, 1 teammate". In all seriousness, hope for a speedy recovery to Mitch. He was doing really well.

Umpires did nothing to get me on-side. 14 frees to 6?? Morons gifted Riewoldt another goal. Wonder if they'll work Rd 1.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 01:12 AM
TheAge got some nice pictures of the Bulldogs and fans in the NAB cup Grand final, including the actions how Hahn got injured (pictures 15) and a nice celebration of DaDruid (Picture 17)

http://www.theage.com.au/photogallery/sport/aussie-rules/nab-cup-final/20100313-q56w.html?selectedImage=0

Nice pic of DD, number 8 is the woman I mentioned in the Family Day thread, who was hounding Aker.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 01:13 AM

Good photo there Druid,

#19 of Riewoltd is hilarious..."im soaring like an eagle but nowhere near the ball" :rolleyes:

westdog54
14-03-2010, 01:32 AM
Just got home from my Uncle's 50th. Had the radio going all match. Put the TV on and fast forwarded the IQ to the last quarter. Wonderful to watch.

Really happy with the win. It may be only the pre-season, but we took on the reigning minor premiers at near enough to full strength and pantsed them.

I wonder how Hall handles expectation, because there'll be plenty in two weeks. He was magnificent. Love how he gave it to Dawson at every chance.

Can't wait to watch the full game tomorrow.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 01:46 AM
Just watching the replay, Higgins' Supergoal - Robert Walls claiming he kicked the ball into the "tenth row"... Looked to me like it just cleared the fence. :confused:

Dry Rot
14-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Dunno how much you Melbourne folk have watched the Swans, but Hall is now showing some interesting non-headline attributes when he is on song:

- Nasty defensive pressure

- Great goal accuracy (even at long range) 17.4 in the NAB Cup

He's a ****ing great kick at goal!

G-Mo77
14-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Kind of a surreal experience at the game. I just stood in shock after the siren during the presentations. It's really foreign territory for most Bully supporters. It is just the NAB Cup after all but it means a hell of a lot to the club. It showed tonight amongst the players, officials and fans.

Geez that injury to Hahn really puts a damper on it all. I didn't realize it was so bad until I watched the reply tonight. Hopefully a very speedy recovery Mitch!

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Nice pic of DD, number 8 is the woman I mentioned in the Family Day thread, who was hounding Aker.

OMG that's the couple that were in the restaurant in Footscray after the Family Day doing a big whinge, because they did not get Barry's autograph. She had apparently shaved her hair off in honour of Barry and wanted to show him.
When I suggested they could go to a training practice and get a autograph then - she wanted to know how much you had to pay:eek:

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 03:00 AM
OMG that's the couple that were in the restaurant in Footscray after the Family Day doing a big whinge, because they did not get Barry's autograph. She had apparently shaved her hair off in honour of Barry and wanted to show him.
When I suggested they could go to a training practice and get a autograph then - she wanted to know how much you had to pay:eek:

HAHAHA! That's funny... based on my limited experience dealing with her, it doesn't surprise me. As I said in the FD thread, she also questioned why Aker had his wife and kids there :confused:

She'd hate to know, I got BAZZA's autograph AND a pic!

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, obviously.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 03:04 AM
HAHAHA! That's funny... based on my limited experience dealing with her, it doesn't surprise me. As I said in the FD thread, she also questioned why Aker had his wife and kids there :confused:

She'd hate to know, I got BAZZA's autograph AND a pic!

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, obviously.

Yeah I think she was a few snags short of a barbie:o He kept telling us how they are right into the doggies and all - wasn't convinced but - I guess we have to put up with bandwagon jumpers, as long as they fork out for memberships.;)

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah I think she was a few snags short of a barbie:o He kept telling us how they are right into the doggies and all - wasn't convinced but - I guess we have to put up with bandwagon jumpers, as long as they fork out for memberships.;)

Yes I got that too... even though I had to point out Adam Cooney to them, and remind them that Matthew Boyd is primarily a midfielder, not a forward.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Any danger for Eagle in the 3rd quarter, when he appeared to nearly trip Farren "Sideways" Ray??? About 11 and a half minutes to go in the 3rd, Hahn tied Ray up, should've been holding the ball, but of course wasn't paid. In the midst, Eagle's right foot made contact with Ray's lower leg. Is "attempted tripping" a reportable offence?

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Yes I got that too... even though I had to point out Adam Cooney to them, and remind them that Matthew Boyd is primarily a midfielder, not a forward.

Hahahahah - out of all the loyal fans they are the ones to get their mugs into The Age - still at least da Druid made it as well:)

macca
14-03-2010, 04:40 AM
-Williams played well , his last quarter was fasntastic, that kick to Hall was sensational
-Brodie moles- geeze he is strong and his hand and balance are good. He swopped pass from Williams and drilled it to Hill, who kicked to Hall.
-Hall, its amazing how good his second efforts, and his tackling were superb.
-Higgins is pure class, his super goal was sensational.
- Hahn, hope he makes a speedy recovery as he adds power and strength to the mid.fwd line.

Mantis
14-03-2010, 07:37 AM
-Williams played well , his last quarter was fasntastic, that kick to Hall was sensational
-Brodie moles- geeze he is strong and his hand and balance are good. He swopped pass from Williams and drilled it to Hill, who kicked to Hall.
- Hahn, hope he makes a speedy recovery as he adds power and strength to the mid.fwd line.

Some good calls there. :)

I said to a friend that Moles guaranteed his selection in rd 1 with that piece of play you described.

Hotdog60
14-03-2010, 08:59 AM
http://images.theage.com.au/2010/03/13/1219798/19109424-600x400.jpg

Love this photo, Crossy is definitely a in and under player:D

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Some good calls there. :)

I said to a friend that Moles guaranteed his selection in rd 1 with that piece of play you described.

Already mentioned this in another thread, but said the exact same thing. I'd written him off until that point too.

Some of my notes:

Griff is looking much more comfortable in the centre square. He came in off the wing with about 5.30 left on the clock in the 1st, got low and dirty, won the hard ball out the centre. I think we need him in there more often.

Hall's defensive pressure is terrific. (Hopefully he can provide some coverage for the maniacal work Hahn has been doing). His pressure that led to a Higgins snap on goal, where Higgins dummied the handpass to Cooney and then snapped - beautiful.

Riewoldt's free. Griff was clearly pushed in the back (should have been his free imo) and sort of fell into Riewoldt's side, who subsequently got a free for 'chopping the arms'. Even the commentators were disgusted. Milne all over Lake when Lake was trying to mark. There were numerous poor decisions and even the commentators were awake to the fact that we were consistently getting robbed.

Hill I think played himself into the team last night. Yes, he was quiet and a bit up and down, but he gets involved at crucial points and does the right things. His involvement in the Moles chain mentioned above, his clever knock on, clean gather and then beautiful, almost sideways kick onto Higgins chest who goaled. He has to play imo.

Addison is another. Played only 25% game time or something similar, but he was sensational. Did everything asked of him, won some crucial balls, held a very good contested mark, used the ball well and most importantly looked comfortable and not out of his depth. I'd love to see him get an opportunity in Rd 1 based on that performance.

Hall having a little go at Dawson after he marked on his way to his 5th goal - priceless.

I think Everitt did enough to get himself a game too.

Cooney and Murphy are both up and running.

Williams played just about his best game for the club and looked very confident with the ball in his hands. His kicking was very impressive.

AND WE WON!!!!!!!!

azabob
14-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the link.

I think my favourite is slide 18 where Hall is giving it to Dawson after kicking a goal and Higgins is in between them trying to push Hall away. Classic...

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 11:55 AM
And photo 19 is the one where you can clearly see Dale chopping Reiwoldt's arm!!!!!!!!!! for his free kick.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 12:40 PM
http://westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/50/shop.html

Nab Cup Premiers Merch out now! :)

cinder
14-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Someone got it :p

it's amazing how you can feel so differently about seeing the ball being kicked in the direction of #28 from one season to the next!

Sorry Gretstache. Was thinking later, hmm, that was probably said in jest. Just wooshed over my head at the time ... too delirious from the win!

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Agreed

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Hall having a little go at Dawson after he marked on his way to his 5th goal - priceless.

He got stuck into Dawson after a number of his goals... commentators were saying Dawson had elbowed him before the first bounce. And they also noted how stupid that was. :) BAZZA really gave Dawson a lesson. I watched highlights of his goals several times when I got home :)

AND WE WON!!!!!!!!

Good point.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Haha was sitting behind the goals and saw Hall giving it to Dawson any time he was on him. And most in the 3rd qtr. he pretty much stayed 4-5 metres away from Hall hehehe

Also, I'm not sure if Umpire no. 18 is Chamberlin, but regardless he is that little short rat looking one who always goes against us and never gives us a free kick!

stefoid
14-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Harbrow played well.

aker39
15-03-2010, 11:45 AM
http://westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/50/shop.html

Nab Cup Premiers Merch out now! :)

I thought the club handled the winning of the NAB Cup very well. The players looked happy to win, smiled for the cameras and said the right thing.

But the club bringing out NAB Cup Merchandise is embarassing

chef
15-03-2010, 11:51 AM
I thought the club handled the winning of the NAB Cup very well. The players looked happy to win, smiled for the cameras and said the right thing.

I thought the same thing.

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I had a great time at the game, and at Crown afterwards. ;) It's nice to beat St Kilda, and I'm really happy for the club - a cash bonus and I'm sure our membership will increase a lot this week. :)

The commentators were saying after the game that it's good to see a team enjoying a NAB Cup Final win - "Not like sourpusses of previous years. Hello to Grant Thomas if you're watching". :D

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Hmm, can't imagine much of that stuff flying off the shelves. I won't be parting with my hard-earned for it.

jazzadogs
15-03-2010, 01:41 PM

I'd say it's fairly standard procedure...the DVD and poster especially. As AndrewP6 said, it's not gonna fly off the shelves, but if they can make a bit out of money out of it I'm happy for them to do it.

mighty_west
15-03-2010, 02:36 PM
I'd say it's fairly standard procedure...the DVD and poster especially. As AndrewP6 said, it's not gonna fly off the shelves, but if they can make a bit out of money out of it I'm happy for them to do it.

I also thought the same thing, especially the t-shirts, but some kids might want one, and thats fine, but those seemed a bit over the top, i'd imagine quite a few might grab the DVD though, just like any other name a game dvd.

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Home from work with the Bali Belly...Funny watching the replay (again!) when Bazza takes the mark for his sixth goal, "Sideways" Ray can be seen apparently clapping! Most likely he's trying to gee up his teammates, but I thought it was funny just the same.

mighty_west
15-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Home from work with the Bali Belly...Funny watching the replay (again!) when Bazza takes the mark for his sixth goal, "Sideways" Ray can be seen apparently clapping! Most likely he's trying to gee up his teammates, but I thought it was funny just the same.

He was just sucking up to Bazza just in case he got in his way at any stage...:p