PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers, Guns and Money NAB GF Edition

GVGjr
13-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Similar to last week (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6986), I think this might be worth a try. Posts your thoughts and opinions after the game.

Spoilers = A (One) player that did not quite measure up to expectations and the reasons why?
Guns = 3 players that stood out on the night and the reasons why?
Money = Someone who's skills stood out in the game? This can be one particular passage of play.

LostDoggy
13-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Spoiler - Liam Picken because he fumbled the ball a few times and put his team under pressure
Guns - Hall because he was a consistent target
Cooney because he put in a 4 quarter effort
Hargrave because he made so few errors.
Money
Everitt because he ran down and opponent and caused a vital turnover.

Jasper
13-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Spoiler
Cooney for those missed shots.
Guns
Hall, Cooney and Murphy for their various efforts tonight
Money
The Higgins super goal was full of class

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Spoiler - Cooney for a couple of poor misses.
Guns - Coons again, he had a consistent night and generally used the ball pretty well.
Money - BAZZA!!! Killed 'em at the start, killed 'em at the end. KILLED 'EM!!!!

Topdog
14-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Spoiler - Eagleton really didn't provide us with anything tonight.

Gun
Cooney for the 4 quarter effort, very skillful in traffic for the whole game.
Hall - 7 goals says it all.
Hahn was BOG in the first 3 quarters for me. Made so many tackles and caused the opposition so many problems.

Money

2 bits of play for this one and they both go to Moles within 3 minutes of each other. In the last quarter when it was a 4 point game his pick up and kick to Hill set up an easy goal and then his ability to stay upright in the tackle led to another goal to Higgins.

Keepa Movin' Griff
14-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Spoiler = Wood looks scared, out of his depth.

Guns =
Hall - Not just the Goals but the amount of defence he commands from the opposition WILL open up our forward line (we're still learning how to exploit this).
Cooney - Class, footwork, speed.
Hahn - Was very impressed with his forward defence (had 6 tackles, more than any other player on the ground + couple of strong grabs + Super goal.

Money = Hall this time for his accuracy in front of goal, he is kicking it beautifully.

comrade
14-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Money

2 bits of play for this one and they both go to Moles within 3 minutes of each other. In the last quarter when it was a 4 point game his pick up and kick to Hill set up an easy goal and then his ability to stay upright in the tackle led to another goal to Higgins.

That particular passage screamed 'AFL standard player'.

Lock him in for Round 1.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 01:32 AM

Lock him in for Round 1.

I agree, but Who's the unlucky B/stard who misses out?

OOPS I forgot Johnno won't be there;)

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Lock him in for Round 1.

I had written him off until the passage of play, but as soon as that happened I wrote in my notes "Moles in".

He didn't have the best night (fairly similar to last week imo) but bobbed up and did a few good things. That gather and kick off the side of the boot to Hill was very good.

Spoiler:

Hahn copping a very nasty knock. If he hadn't gone down, it would have been a perfect hit out.

Guns:

Hahn - had him about BOG until he went off injured. Boy he works super hard defensively and was strong on the lead a few times. Just a guy who makes us look better and stand taller when he's up and about.

Higgins - didn't dominate by any stretch, but about everything he touches turns to gold. As always his finishing by hand and foot was superb.

Hargrave - it's all about the H's today, Hargrave did very well providing run and accurate long kicking, and still did his bit defensively. Becoming one of our most underrated players.

Money:

Hall - what more needs to be said. Great night.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Spoiler Cooney missing goals and Gilbee trying to kick 50m precision kicks to players surrounded.
Guns Hall Higgins Hahn Eade
Money Williams running out of half back, kicking beautifully straight down the guts to a leading Hall. Symbolic of our new power.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Spoiler-Eagleton. In the circumstances a very ordinary performance. We have him on the list to get us through those "Burnley" type games (there's an old adage in EPL that the top 4 side that goes to Burnley and gets a 1-0 result will win the championship), but I think we really need him to stand up and be counted in these 'big' games as well.

Guns -Cooney, Hall and Ray Chamberlain. Cooney kept us in it, Hall won it for us and Chamberlain did his best to get the Saints over the line.

Money-Higgins 9 pointer-that was the turning point.

comrade
14-03-2010, 01:43 PM

That was off the back of some dazzling Bobby Murphy footwork - good things always happen when two money men combine.

Also, love the Burnley/Eagleton comment. Absolutely spot on.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Spoiler-Eagleton. In the circumstances a very ordinary performance. We have him on the list to get us through those "Burnley" type games (there's an old adage in EPL that the top 4 side that goes to Burnley and gets a 1-0 result will win the championship), but I think we really need him to stand up and be counted in these 'big' games as well.

Guns -Cooney, Hall and Ray Chamberlain. Cooney kept us in it, Hall won it for us and Chamberlain did his best to get the Saints over the line.

that free to Reiwoldt in the first qtr was one of the worst decisions I have seen (not sure if that was Chamberlain). Carrying on from last year he is becoming a protected species of the highest calibre. Great player, but geez these umpires need to get over their man-crush on him...

Mofra
14-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Spoiler - Eagleton was not clan when gathering the ball, looks like he's only halfway through a pre-season. A night to forget.

Guns - Barry, you are brilliant
Cooney - As soon as he went into the centre in the 3rd quarter, the game changed
Higgins - Brilliant overhead for his size, fantastic finisher, that touch of class every midfield/forward needs.

Money - Murphy was a story that hasn't been told; he has his little dance back which means he is a nightmare for opposition match-ups.

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Spoiler - Ray Chamberlain-what is it with that guy that it's always gotta be about him?

Guns - I'm taking a different angle here and not going with the standouts, but with a few things that impressed me.
Williams - Did pretty well I thought, moved well and disposed of the ball well. Hit Hall with a ripper kick on the lead.
Everitt - Played very well I thought. Stood up and took a contested mark that had to be held onto. Hope this is a big year for him.
Griffen - Has improved every game and his kick to Hill in the forward 50 was so sweet.

Honourable mention to Mitch Hahn who gave absolutely everything. His desperation to pressure and keep the ball in was terrific.

Money - Only one player for us had 100% disposal efficiency. Limited opportunity, but did well when it was presented. Clean hands, good decisions and trademark attack on the game.....

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Spoiler: Eagleton, looked totally out of sorts & fumbled a lot.
Guns: Cooney, looks in real good touch.
Griffen, using his size to intimidate opponents & his dash/delivery looks to be back again.
Higgins, Seemed to be everywhere in the early stages.
Money: Moles, that gather and dish in the last quarter set up our win.

Dazza
14-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Spoilers : Not really a player but I wasn't sure why some of the crowd booed Reiwoldt as he went to give a speech at the end of the game

Guns: Cooney was great around the stoppages. All round team effort really.

Money: The Williams kick to the centre of the ground which Moles swooped on and passed to set up a goal.

cambo
14-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Lock him in for Round 1.

Absolutely

cambo
14-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Spoliers: Umpiers! some really bad calls both ways, Hill: to inconsistant + at times doesnt look interested
Guns: Griffen started on fire and kept us in the game, when we were questioned and it got to within 3 points griff stepped up again
Money: Barry the massiah!! Moles the recruit of the year if Rocket gives him a go!

I GF down in 2010 1 more to go!!!

Rance Fan
14-03-2010, 06:34 PM
spoiler - Hill "see above"
Guns - Griffen, Boyd, Cooney
Money - Hall
BOG - Hahn till injury

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Spoilers : Not really a player but I wasn't sure why some of the crowd booed Reiwoldt as he went to give a speech at the end of the game

Maybe they didn't like custard.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Spoilers: Ill say Hill aswell and agree with above posts, he doesnt look interested half the time. Oh and one for the saints, Kozzy. Kozzy is past it, he is too slow - Lake beat him with one hand behind his back.. and even the Saints fans around me were giving him absolute crap 'get him off ' was said plenty of times, id be a frustrated saints supporter aswell.

Guns -
Bazza - 7 big ones and just dominance everytime the ball came near him you knew something big was gunna happen.
Cooney - All Class.
Shaggy - Top game by him, he was all overrr it.

Money - Def Higgins slotting that Supergoal, loved how he stopped right before the line and knew exactly what he was aiming for (the big 9 pointaaa)

SPower
14-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Maybe they didn't like custard.

Oh boy - Soft and Subtle

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Guns: Cooney was great around the stoppages. All round team effort really.

Money: The Williams kick to the centre of the ground which Moles swooped on and passed to set up a goal.

Were they booing or calling "Roo"? I thought Roo. If they were booing I have no clue why, Riewoldt as a general rule is a great player who consistently leads from the front and by example.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Were they booing or calling "Roo"? I thought Roo. If they were booing I have no clue why, Riewoldt as a general rule is a great player who consistently leads from the front and by example.

Id say they were booing..because he should be in the Australian Womens Diving team not on a Football field ;)

jazzadogs
14-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Spoiler - Ray Chamberlain-what is it with that guy that it's always gotta be about him?

At the toss of the coin, said "Giddy up" to the Riewoldt and Gia. What a tool. Shut up and concentrate on getting the free kicks right.

They were definitely booing. I wasn't surprised that it happened, there'd be plenty of Dogs supporters who don't appreciate the free kick from the prelim. But he definitely didn't deserve it, and it angered me.
I also get annoyed when supporters sing the song before the end of the game. I think it's disrespectful and poor sportsmanship. Sure, we were going to win, but it's completely unnecessary.

So that's my spoiler.

Guns:
Cooney - very impressive throughout the NAB Cup, gonna be a big year for Coons. Had a few great pick-ups, disposal was good.

Williams - not necessarily our best player, but I was just so happy with his game (particularly the second half). Showed a lot of run, and some great disposal. Got a lot to prove, and I'm excited to see what he can produce.

Hahn - the forward pressure he provides is insane. I love it when he plays like he did last night, was missing a fair bit last year. Hopefully he can make a swift recovery.

Money:
BARRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!! I'll pick the first mark as my favourite, set the tone for the game and immediately dented Dawson's confidence (not that a confident Dawson would have been any trouble for the big man). Also enjoyed his attack on Gwilt (from a Milne handball, even better), which I'm pretty sure resulted in a goal to Higgins. Enjoyed the chant too!

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Id say they were booing..because he should be in the Australian Womens Diving team not on a Football field ;)

Lest we forget!

Seriously though, I too was outraged at that incident, but I don't blame Riewoldt per se, I blame the umpires that treat him as (to quote AndrewP6) a "golden boy" that leads to those types of incidents.

All he did was take advantage of the situation (and yes I hate, hate, hate it), but had it been Johnno and had it scored us a GF berth, how would we view it?

BulldogBelle
14-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Spoiler: Agree on Hill. Doesn't seem to work hard enough defensively(chasing, tackling with only one arm etc).

Guns: Griffen; great run, drive, effort.
Cooney; Class. When we were struggling for clearances at a couple of stages he stepped up. He can still get much better though.
Harbrow; Run, run, run, run.

Money: Bazza. What else can you say. Special mention to Minson who has played really well last two praccy matches after a very limited pre-season. He looks very hungry.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Lest we forget!

Seriously though, I too was outraged at that incident, but I don't blame Riewoldt per se, I blame the umpires that treat him as (to quote AndrewP6) a "golden boy" that leads to those types of incidents.

All he did was take advantage of the situation (and yes I hate, hate, hate it), but had it been Johnno and had it scored us a GF berth, how would we view it?

Johnno genuinely gets belted from pillar to post. Custard is soft. So too is the dessert food. :)

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 08:37 PM
At the toss of the coin, said "Giddy up" to the Riewoldt and Gia. What a tool. Shut up and concentrate on getting the free kicks right.
I also get annoyed when supporters sing the song before the end of the game. I think it's disrespectful and poor sportsmanship. Sure, we were going to win, but it's completely unnecessary.

What a Toss indeed. On the song note I understand what your saying but I think its justified in situations where say their team is the underdogs or they are getting revenge for a narrow semi final loss...or a game they didnt think they could win, its a show of excitement and joy :)

but had it been Johnno and had it scored us a GF berth, how would we view it?

Be a discussion point for a while and then I guess we'd move on ;)

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Johnno genuinely gets belted from pillar to post. Custard is soft. So too is the dessert food. :)

Well I agree on Johnno, and disagree on Riewoldt!

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Spoiler: Agree on Hill. Doesn't seem to work hard enough defensively(chasing, tackling with only one arm etc).

Guns: Griffen; great run, drive, effort.
Cooney; Class. When we were struggling for clearances at a couple of stages he stepped up. He can still get much better though.
Harbrow; Run, run, run, run.

Money: Bazza. What else can you say. Special mention to Minson who has played really well last two praccy matches after a very limited pre-season. He looks very hungry.

Just not for soy milk I hope.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Spoiler - why, for periods of time, we go missing at centre bounces and around the ground packs. It looked like we had too many go in at the packs sometimes, and did not set up outside the pack to stop St K getting the ball and then running away with it. Should we be manning up rather than sitting on the opposite side of the pack?
- why we sometimes blindly kicked into the forward line (from around the centre). Picken once and Hudson? once. Straight to the opposition. I would think that this would be an absolute no-no when we would be instructed to retain possession until we can get a quick spearing pass in or long kick to a one on one contest as paramount.

Guns - Cooney. Noticeable when he went off at one stage that we started losing it out of the middle.
Hall - how he is making other players better by just being there. Hahn seems to be able to do so much more
Hahn - great defensively

Money - Moles for that pick up.

w3design
14-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Spoiler - that Stephen Milne did not play an absolute shocker and was useful for them. My most despised player, so I hate seeing him anything but kickless.

Guns: Our tackling is not only fantastic, we are pretty hard to push off the ball. Noticed a few times good tackles from the saints didn't knock us over or stop us from getting away a handball, Cooney and Griff particularly good in those areas. I thought it was one of Griff's more consistent games over 4 quarters.

Money: the crowd chant for Barry was a lot of fun, and the look on his face when he came up to the microphone was priceless.

KT31
14-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Spoilers = Eagles.
Guns =Griff, Cooney and Hahn.
Money= Big Bazza.
Special mention to Everitt and Williams.

Bulldog4332
14-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Only Money

10.42 into the final quarter, 4 desparate handballs executed to perfection each to a player under pressure themselves. Moles gathers, is tackled re-gathers and gives to another player who then delivers by foot to a pack, Murphy spoils Hill swoops and delivers to Higgins. The pressure skills and sublime disposal that the modern game give us, quintessential bulldog play.

This is why AFL is far superior to soccer, NFL and RL, only RU can emulate the non-stop execution of ball delivery at pace.

jazzadogs
14-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Spoiler - that Stephen Milne did not play an absolute shocker and was useful for them. My most despised player, so I hate seeing him anything but kickless.

Guns: Our tackling is not only fantastic, we are pretty hard to push off the ball. Noticed a few times good tackles from the saints didn't knock us over or stop us from getting away a handball, Cooney and Griff particularly good in those areas. I thought it was one of Griff's more consistent games over 4 quarters.

Money: the crowd chant for Barry was a lot of fun, and the look on his face when he came up to the microphone was priceless.
Was very Geelong-esque in being able to stand up in tackles and still get handballs out. Good signs.

The Coon Dog
14-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Only Money

10.42 into the final quarter, 4 desparate handballs executed to perfection each to a player under pressure themselves. Moles gathers, is tackled re-gathers and gives to another player who then delivers by foot to a pack, Murphy spoils Hill swoops and delivers to Higgins. The pressure skills and sublime disposal that the modern game give us, quintessential bulldog play.

This is why AFL is far superior to soccer, NFL and RL, only RU can emulate the non-stop execution of ball delivery at pace.

If you look closely, Murphy not only spoils, but taps the ball into the space Josh Hill was running into. You can't teach that, you either have it or you don't.

KT31
15-03-2010, 10:42 AM
If you look closely, Murphy not only spoils, but taps the ball into the space Josh Hill was running into. You can't teach that, you either have it or you don't.

Not to sure if that was his intention or he was trying tap it down for himself to gather.
I'll give him the benefit and call it brilliant play.

Ozza
15-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Spoiler - I don't imagine I'll say this again...but Dale Morris was very very ordinary on Saturday night. Was watching how he played Riewoldt very very closely - and he was giving him far too much room and was no where near him in the contest the majority of times. Sitting behind the goals, second level, at the Coventry end, before the Saints players up the field had even kicked the ball - you could already see Roo was going to get it because Dale was 5-10metres off him all the time. Saturday was the night to see if Williams could be the option on Riewoldt - and we took way too long to give him a chance. Roo is obviously a super super player, it concerns me that he looked so unstoppable.

Guns - Coons and Hall. Coons clicked into gear and started getting the ball out of the middle and destroyed them. Hall's marking and kicking was faultless.

Money - Our tackling. Our pressure on the ball carrier was tremendous. Particularly the closing stages of the third quarter. Something like 19 tackles in the 3rd quarter. Hopefully thats a constant in 2010.

chef
15-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Spoilers- Injuries, some of the umpiring decisions and being totally disorganised at the start of the 3rd quarter.

Guns- Our team as a whole.

Money- Kicking for goal(apart from Cooneys two shots and Akers spray), field disposal and intensity at the contest.

Bring on round 1:).

chef
15-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Not sure how you can call Riewoldt soft and Johnno not(seems very biased) when they both do practically the same things on the field. Does Roo not get smashed every week as well?

Twodogs
15-03-2010, 01:22 PM
being totally disorganised at the start of the 3rd quarter.

Yeah, what was that all about? The forwards were all staring and pointing and running in different directions and the Sainters stole a march on us.

Rocket didnt look happy at all.

Twodogs
15-03-2010, 01:25 PM

I think he's a sook and a diver but he's not what I'd call soft. When it's his turn to go, he goes.

I wouldnt want to get caught between him and the ball.

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 01:26 PM
Not sure how you can call Riewoldt soft and Johnno not(seems very biased) when they both do practically the same things on the field. Does Roo not get smashed every week as well?

Sure, I might be biased, and proud of it. They're different players physically, and position-wise. I don't watch St Kilda except when they're playing us, and when that happens, Riewoldt often goes down like a lead balloon, which for a player of his physical presence, is soft. Add to that the obvious and blatant man-love felt towards him by the whistleblowers, and he gets it good. Runs hard, sure - just rubs me the wrong way.

And he cries a lot.

jazzadogs
15-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Sure, I might be biased, and proud of it. They're different players physically, and position-wise. I don't watch St Kilda except when they're playing us, and when that happens, Riewoldt often goes down like a lead balloon, which for a player of his physical presence, is soft. Add to that the obvious and blatant man-love felt towards him by the whistleblowers, and he gets it good. Runs hard, sure - just rubs me the wrong way.

And he cries a lot.
I'm part of the brigade who doesn't think Riewoldt is soft at all. Sure he went down easily on prelim night, and I can understand holding some resentment because of that. But he is an incredibly hard and talented player, who should be respected.

Johnno dives for free-kicks more often than Roo, let's be honest. Riewoldt is treated well by the umpires because generally if he falls over it's because he attacked the contest so hard, not because he staged for it. Not all the free kicks are there, but that's not his fault.

EasternWest
15-03-2010, 01:36 PM

And he cries a lot.

You're relentless. I love it!

chef
15-03-2010, 01:36 PM

And he cries a lot.

And bulldog players have never cried after a match?

We must have different views on what is soft. To me someone like McMahon is soft. If you watch Riewoldt a bit more you would see that he pushes himself physical until he is sick, his gut running for a KP is phenomenal. I can't remember him ducking his head or pulling out of a contest either(which soft players do). And I have seen Johnno dive(not that it makes me love him any less) a hell of a lot more than Riewoldt.

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 01:44 PM
And bulldog players have never cried after a match?

We must have different views on what is soft. To me someone like McMahon is soft. If you watch Riewoldt a bit more you would see that he pushes himself physical until he is sick, his gut running for a KP is phenomenal. I can't remember him ducking his head or pulling out of a contest either(which soft players do). And I have seen Johnno dive(not that it makes me love him any less) a hell of a lot more than Riewoldt.

Fair enough, let's agree to disagree (and I'll hope he stays a Saint for good, and I never have to worry about cheering for him)

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 01:44 PM
You're relentless. I love it!

You've gotta stick to your guns...:)

AndrewP6
15-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I think he's a sook and a diver but he's not what I'd call soft. When it's his turn to go, he goes.

I wouldnt want to get caught between him and the ball.

If he's a sook, that makes him soft. ;)

Mofra
15-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah, what was that all about? The forwards were all staring and pointing and running in different directions and the Sainters stole a march on us.

Did we even have 18 on the field? I though that was the problem - only 17 ran on.

chef
15-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Did we even have 18 on the field? I though that was the problem - only 17 ran on.

Yep, we had only 5 in the forward which allowed Gilbert to mark unopposed after Pickens quick kick towards the forward line.

chef
15-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Fair enough, let's agree to disagree (and I'll hope he stays a Saint for good, and I never have to worry about cheering for him)

Fair enough:)

Go_Dogs
15-03-2010, 03:04 PM

Yeah, it was pretty interesting. Couldn't really get a good perception of what was happening from the TV, but all the forwards looked confused, and were pointing about wondering what was happening.

jazzadogs
15-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah, it was pretty interesting. Couldn't really get a good perception of what was happening from the TV, but all the forwards looked confused, and were pointing about wondering what was happening.
Definitely only 17 on the field. When I saw we only had 5 in the forward line, I looked to our defence to check who our loose man was...and couldn't find one.

Still amazes me that stuff like that can happen.

comrade
15-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Definitely only 17 on the field. When I saw we only had 5 in the forward line, I looked to our defence to check who our loose man was...and couldn't find one.

Still amazes me that stuff like that can happen.

I thought Hill was loose on the wing?

Go_Dogs
15-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I thought Hill was loose on the wing?

He was on the wing, but from the telecast I recall seeing someone lining up on him.

The commentators called Williams as being loose in defence once play got under way. :confused:

Mantis
15-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Spoilers: Umpires, Injuries, lapse at start of 3rd qtr.

Guns: Hall, Cooney & Hargrave.

Money: Intensity & Tackling - We have set the standard over the pre-season, lets hope we can keep it up.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 11:31 AM
spoilers: Thought Eagle was very quiet when he was on the ground, got brushed aside too easy and looked a step behind the play.

guns: Moles was a standout for mine. There were a few occasions where he made it to the contest through sheer will, kept his feet while eveyone else hit the deck, kept composed and made very good decisions on the ball which lead to direct scores. The Shag rarely gets beaten and has a great sense of the incoming ball. Murph is as nimble as I have ever seen him and he will be causing a few coaches some sleepless nights.

Money: Everitts chase and tackle. Sometimes when the chips are down and confidence is lost, the only way up is to put your head down and work yor ass off. thought he worked much harder this week and looked better for it. Our intensity and pressure was a joy to watch. We were relentless and gave St Kilda no time to work the ball, we've been crying out for a harder edge to our side and it looks like we finally have the balance right!!