PDA

View Full Version : Eagleton / Hill

Rance Fan
13-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Eagleton - Didnt see much and when i did, he didnt seem to do much, did he injure himself?
Hill - A few nice things but seemed to hide, not chase hard at times and always tries to mark from behind. Pefer him out front on lead.

Question is Rd 1...

Both players in?
Neither?
One of them?

For me Hill in...for now till Hahn and Johnno are back

chef
13-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Hill in(For Hahn) and Eagleton out(Moles to get his spot) for me.

divvydan
13-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Eagleton was subbed off during the 3rd quarter, still doesn't quite have the match fitness that he needs. Hill seemed quiet but did some good work late in the game and with Hahn injured now he'll probably get a game.

Pickenitup
14-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Both will play round 1 Hill imo is our X factor this year

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Hill certainly has to play imo. Is just dangerous, does the clever things and is involved in a lot of our scoring opportunities.

Eagleton I'm personally a bit iffy on as I would like to see him build up his form and fitness a little more. I probably wouldn't want to risk him on the flight to the Gabba in Rd4 either (given his age and history with soft tissue injuries) so it's going to be interesting to see how he's managed. Based on what we know, he is highly rated by the MC and will most likely play Rd1.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Agreed. He proved that again. He contested well all night but wasn't able to get clean possession often but on the occasions he did, they were very telling. His contested posseion that led to a pass to Hall turned the momentum.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Watching the replay and Hill was a lot better in the last quarter than I gave him credit for. 3 or 4 of his touches led directly to goals.

Go_Dogs
14-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Watching the replay and Hill was a lot better in the last quarter than I gave him credit for. 3 or 4 of his touches led directly to goals.

Spot on. Another incredibly bright poster noted the same above. ;)

If he can get his goal kicking sorted out, he could just about be our most dangerous offensive weapon. Just has a knack for picking the right option offensively.

Twodogs
14-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Spot on. Another incredibly bright poster noted the same above. ;)

You forgot to mention good looking.

The one handed pick up and three step baulk early on the last (It might even have been late in the 3rd) was very good. He had nowhere to go and was surrounded by Saints but he found a way out.

AndrewP6
14-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Eagleton - Didnt see much and when i did, he didnt seem to do much, did he injure himself?

Eagle was subbed off with back spasms. Riewoldt complained of torn heart muscle. Here endeth the injury report. :)

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Not sure about Eagle, but I thought Hill did some good things late in the game, as has already been said here. He oftens looks to me, like he is being a bit lazy and doesn't chase, and then ....bingo, he does something so cool and skillful, it takes my breath away. I guess that's what an X factor is!

Mofra
14-03-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm not sure perception is reality with Hill. A larconic running style does him a diservice; yes his last quarter was good, but he did chase hard & guard space when he wasn't getting much of it early in the game, and against a hard-rebounding side like the Saints, sometimes guarding the space alone is enough to upset their style of play. I'd have Hill playing round 1.

After perhaps supporting Eagleton at times in the past when it wasn't totally warranted, I have to admit I think the game is past him at the minute. He didn't look clean when he had a chance to gather the ball, his deficiencies aren't going to worked on at this stage of his career, he is the worst player overhead in the team, and if we need someone to step up the inside 50 entry work (which has been his forte in past seasons) then a fit Gia and rejuvenated Everitt would be ahead of him on current form.

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Why is everyone saying Moles is a direct replacement for Eagle? I mean, Moles is more of an inside midfielder who wins his own ball. Eagleton can break the lines, and is a long penetrating kick. I thought Eagle was one of our most important players last year.

GVGjr
14-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure perception is reality with Hill. A larconic running style does him a diservice; yes his last quarter was good, but he did chase hard & guard space when he wasn't getting much of it early in the game, and against a hard-rebounding side like the Saints, sometimes guarding the space alone is enough to upset their style of play. I'd have Hill playing round 1.

I'd have Hill in the side. He was a good pick pocket as well stripping the ball from the opposition a couple of times. Needs to improve a bit but I'd like to have him in the side.

lemmon
14-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Why is everyone saying Moles is a direct replacement for Eagle? I mean, Moles is more of an inside midfielder who wins his own ball. Eagleton can break the lines, and is a long penetrating kick. I thought Eagle was one of our most important players last year.

I'm not sure Eagle still has that ability to break the lines as he once did. Seems to have lost a yard of pace and instead of being able to break free and run and carry with the pill he's getting caught. His style of footy really doesn't suit the modern game that the Saints and Cats have implemented and a purely outside player has become almost a liability. Im not saying its season or career over and its probably unfair to judge him currently going on his limited fitness, form etc.

Sockeye Salmon
14-03-2010, 04:58 PM

If both Eagle and Hill play, who will miss out?

KT31
14-03-2010, 05:08 PM

Eagle will miss, form is down and he may come under a bit of scrutiny for an attempted trip.

bornadog
16-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Eagle will miss, form is down and he may come under a bit of scrutiny for an attempted trip.

Hamstring will keep him out.

I like Hill in the team, did some good things in the last quarter, and is one of those players that will never dominate, but a good quarter and he will create a few handy goals.

Raw Toast
16-03-2010, 12:45 PM

I think Hill's work-rate has been better this pre-season, but I don't think he worked hard enough in the first 3/4's on Saturday night. He was thereabouts at times, but at times slacked off just enough to let the Saints do some damage where if he'd run a few more meters we could've contained them... He's doing the more obvious pressure things, but not always working when it's less likely that he'll be noticed or rewarded.

His last quarter was impressive, but I thought it needed to be.

Twodogs
16-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Because Moles does a lot of the things we should expect Eagleton to do:

Running hard-check for both

Break the lines-Eagle did it better but has lost a yard, Moles not so much

Hit up targets and kick clutch goals-Moles check, Nathan has always been a dissapointment, especially in big games/finals

Provide pressure on the ball carrier-Nathan has gotten better at this over the last couple of years but Moles eats ball carriers for breakfast.

No two players are ever exactly the same but Moles covers Eagleton's role in a lot of ways and then some.

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 11:00 PM
And Moles is still trying to understand our game plan and playing with the boys. So he will only get better. Where as Eagle is sort of sliding in a negative way.

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Is Eagle happy to play the role of depth player? I mean if he is left out on numerous occasions during the year will he step up and work even harder or spit the dummy. Current form is simply a result of lack of fitness due to injury so I look forward to seeing him come back firing and give selectors a really big headache.

Mofra
18-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Is Eagle happy to play the role of depth player? I mean if he is left out on numerous occasions during the year will he step up and work even harder or spit the dummy. Current form is simply a result of lack of fitness due to injury so I look forward to seeing him come back firing and give selectors a really big headache.
I doubt he'd spit the dummy - I think he was clear that he'd have to battle for a spot this year, even without taking into account anecdotal comments last year that he expected to lose his spot at some stage during 2009 (injuries saved him).

He's been a team focused individual in this respect and although I don't have him in my round 1 side I think he'll get gametime this year.

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I doubt he'd spit the dummy - I think he was clear that he'd have to battle for a spot this year, even without taking into account anecdotal comments last year that he expected to lose his spot at some stage during 2009 (injuries saved him).

He's been a team focused individual in this respect and although I don't have him in my round 1 side I think he'll get gametime this year.

I wouldn't have Hill in front of Eagleton at the moment as I think they are playing for different positions and I would doubt at the selection table both names would be mentioned in the same sentence. I do think Everitt is one that may be compared and at this stage I would have Everitt picked before Eagleton. As Eagleton is not fully fit this is an easy choice at the moment. Of course form and fitness is how I would select these players for the rest of the year.

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Eagleton can break the lines, and is a long penetrating kick. I thought Eagle was one of our most important players last year.

Haven't seen evidence of this in the pre-season. He had a couple of games late last year where he really showed us this capacity, and has been credited with it, but these last couple of games, all I saw was a stubbornly one-footed, slow-turning, mis-kicking veteran.

The number of shanks straight to opponents was diabolical, and his tackle count has been inflated by his numerous fumbles that have led to his opponent getting the ball, necessitating the tackle (which is not hard when you consider that his opponent would be essentially standing right next to him having just picked up his fumbled ball). A cleaner Eagle, playing in space as is his wont, would have been away instead of having to make a tackle.

Hopefully he picks up the pace over the course of the season because at his best he has something to offer, but at this point, he shouldn't be in the team on form, and certainly looks every bit the final-year player that he surely has to be.