PDA

View Full Version : Everitt

EasternWest
14-03-2010, 03:51 PM
There were a lot of positives to come from last nights game, and while Everitt has been mentioned in a few other threads, I though it might be an idea to get an assessment on Andrejs performance in isolation.

For mine, I thought he was very good. I enjoyed the streaky goal, but didn't take much from it. What really stood out for me was the super contested mark he took and the way he used the ball.

I wasn't able to make the game, so maybe someone who made it can comment, but it looked to me like he was working hard without the ball and really trying to make himself part of the game. He looked really fit and moved as if his confidence was back. I was happy for him, and his reaction at the siren was pure joy. He looked like a young guy happy to be there and be part of it.

Thoughts?

LostDoggy
14-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Play him up the ground on the winggggg! Not behind the ball! :D

Remi Moses
14-03-2010, 05:22 PM
he looks more at ease ,very nice to see

Dazza
14-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Yeah I thought he was pretty good. Barely put a foot wrong to be honest. I'm usually pretty critical of his defensive efforts and intensity at the contest but last night he competed very well and did a few nice things. Combined with Williams they were the most pleasing thing to get out of the game in my opinion (other than winning a premiership of sorts)

So far his year has been pretty good and he seems to have addressed the things in his game that were lacking.

It's hard to find a spot for him in the 22 but as he can really play anywhere it's a good problem to have.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Everitt's proven he can play against the best sides in the competition under real heat. Did it in Round 22 v Collingwood last year and again tonight. Very good signs, he's had a good pre-season and finished off tonight with a really impressive display. Probably the highlight of the night for mine along with Williams.

His efforts on a whole are significantly better than they have been for the past few years. Great to see him running hard, using the ball so well, punching from behind and taking some strong marks again.

Should certainly play Round 1 no questions asked.

comrade
14-03-2010, 07:44 PM
With a couple of seconds left on the clock before 3qtr time when the Saints were really pressing in their forward 50, Everitt threw his body at the ball and took out a St Kilda player in the process. It was enough to lock the ball down before the siren went.

It's his desire to do some of the harder stuff which hasn't been a part of his game in previous years that impresses me the most.

Set for a big 2010 and I can see him playing some really important roles against good opposition.

Bulldog Revolution
14-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Everitt's proven he can play against the best sides in the competition under real heat. Did it in Round 22 v Collingwood last year and again tonight. Very good signs, he's had a good pre-season and finished off tonight with a really impressive display. Probably the highlight of the night for mine along with Williams.

His efforts on a whole are significantly better than they have been for the past few years. Great to see him running hard, using the ball so well, punching from behind and taking some strong marks again.

Should certainly play Round 1 no questions asked.

Agreed

You'd think that over the course of the season that he'd only build on a fine preseason - he just seems a lot more willing to get his hands dirty - it reeks of maturity. I though his attempt to tackle, and then corralling of armitage who put it out on the full was a great example of this.

MrMahatma
15-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Still has massive upside to him - so I can see him getting games so long as his form remains 'handy' at the very least.

Ozza
15-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Is playing with a lot more purpose. I like him - I think he'll make a player.

LostDoggy
15-03-2010, 05:56 PM
he looks a lot more confident and looking like he wants to play at hes peak.

LostDoggy
16-03-2010, 06:11 AM
its like he now realises what is required of him by the coaching staff...i believe at the end of the trade period last year he and Rocket sat down and discussed a few things and no doubt Eade told him he needs to show more intensity and hunger for the contest, which he certainly has so far.
The question mark was never over his talent or ability but his desire and commitment, hopefully he really has turned the corner in regards to this because he could be just a super player...something special.

w3design
17-03-2010, 04:46 PM
d4e, I hope that you are right. Yes he has shown some signs of improvement over the pre season, but I am afraid I am still a bit of an Everitt sceptic. He does certainly have good skills under zero pressure. I have seen the majority of his games both Dogs & Willy, and unfortunately those skills and his vision seem to disappear when he is under any pressure real or perceived.
People wishing to push him up into the 22 is fine, but I wish they would nominate just who should make way for him. Personally I find it hard to fit him into my top 30 or so.
As I say, I hope he proves me wrong, as his size,pace and skills when on song could be useful in any team. I just hope that 12 months from now our decision not to trade him is vindicated, and does not come back to bite us on the bum.

Bulldog4life
17-03-2010, 05:11 PM
d4e, I hope that you are right. Yes he has shown some signs of improvement over the pre season, but I am afraid I am still a bit of an Everitt sceptic. He does certainly have good skills under zero pressure. I have seen the majority of his games both Dogs & Willy, and unfortunately those skills and his vision seem to disappear when he is under any pressure real or perceived.
People wishing to push him up into the 22 is fine, but I wish they would nominate just who should make way for him. Personally I find it hard to fit him into my top 30 or so.
As I say, I hope he proves me wrong, as his size,pace and skills when on song could be useful in any team. I just hope that 12 months from now our decision not to trade him is vindicated, and does not come back to bite us on the bum.

Gee that's a bit hard. Easily in our top 30!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 05:32 PM

You are certainly a hard taskmaster!

chef
17-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Who would be the 30 players infront him?

LostDoggy
17-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Who would be the 30 players in front him?

That would be an interesting list! paulv? Any chance you can put that together for us all?

BulldogBelle
17-03-2010, 06:23 PM

Maybe last years Everitt. But he has come along way since then.

l think he has realised its not just skill that gets you over the line. His hard work is starting to pay off.

Raw Toast
17-03-2010, 06:52 PM
What surprised me at the game was his crumbing ability. A couple of times (one with the streaky goal) he took the ball off the pack in the forward line the way an opportunistic crumber should (which we haven't seen too much of that in the last few years).

He's looked OK down back most of the time in the pre-season (one or two moments against Port withstanding), as well as doing some good things elsewhere. So I think his value is as a utility. Hopefully he can track a bit like a Goddard type where we can throw him back, forward, to the wing, and maybe even sometimes into the middle and the ruck.

I did also enjoy his contested mark down back. He seems to have got a bit better at hanging off the contest to avoid being pushed around, which also allows him to be able to take a few steps and jump at the ball.

Oh and it's probably only a dream, but imagine a backline where we have three players (Williams as well as Everitt at times), who can regularly take contested marks along with Lake.

LongWait
17-03-2010, 07:28 PM
What surprised me at the game was his crumbing ability. A couple of times (one with the streaky goal) he took the ball off the pack in the forward line the way an opportunistic crumber should (which we haven't seen too much of that in the last few years).

He's looked OK down back most of the time in the pre-season (one or two moments against Port withstanding), as well as doing some good things elsewhere. So I think his value is as a utility. Hopefully he can track a bit like a Goddard type where we can throw him back, forward, to the wing, and maybe even sometimes into the middle and the ruck.

I did also enjoy his contested mark down back. He seems to have got a bit better at hanging off the contest to avoid being pushed around, which also allows him to be able to take a few steps and jump at the ball.

Oh and it's probably only a dream, but imagine a backline where we have three players (Williams as well as Everitt at times), who can regularly take contested marks along with Lake.

Goddard is 4 years older than Skinny, so it is not inconceivable that Everitt could become that Goddard-like swingman over the next year or two. Everitt has only just turned 21 this month.

FrediKanoute
18-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Goddard is 4 years older than Skinny, so it is not inconceivable that Everitt could become that Goddard-like swingman over the next year or two. Everitt has only just turned 21 this month.

Goddard is exactly who Everitt reminds me of. That awkward tall player who has incredible mobility. He is a work in progress who I think will get better and better.

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 08:19 AM
He Must play every game this year. Loads of upside and simply would be a tragedy to leave him out of the team.

anfo27
18-03-2010, 12:11 PM

I'm abit the same i'm not totally convinced with skinny. I have seen too much garbage from him the last 2 seasons to think he has turned the corner in a couple of NAB cup games. There definately has been significant improvement this year but there still needs to be more improvement for me to jump on.
What skinny can bring to the table makes him a very exciting prospect but he still has a long way to go and hopefully this can be the year where he starts to show it.
Thats one hell of a top 30 if skinny can't get in, he would just squeeze into my top 25.

anfo27
18-03-2010, 12:14 PM
He Must play every game this year. Loads of upside and simply would be a tragedy to leave him out of the team.

Skinny has to earn it. Having a sook last year at not getting a regular game it appeared he wanted things handed to him.

Mantis
18-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Skinny has to earn it. Having a sook last year at not getting a regular game it appeared he wanted things handed to him.

To be fair Andrejs has admitted that he was naive to think that he could get a game on talent alone and has worked much harder over the past 6 months to ensure that he will be picked on merit.

LostDoggy
18-03-2010, 02:39 PM

I think it was the concern of his manager that sitting in the seconds was hindering his development. Personally I agree it was. I honestly thought some younger guys need more game time last year and a number of senior players looked a little stale at times and should have been rested. A number on here were calling for Eagle to have a rest for example, but Eade will always play his senior players regardless of form.

anfo27
18-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I think it was the concern of his manager that sitting in the seconds was hindering his development. Personally I agree it was. I honestly thought some younger guys need more game time last year and a number of senior players looked a little stale at times and should have been rested. A number on here were calling for Eagle to have a rest for example, but Eade will always play his senior players regardless of form.

I agree that some changes shoul of been made at times last season but i don't think skinny did enough to force the coaching staff to play him. When he did play senior football he lacked intensity and didn't seem to me he was desperate to play seniors like a Ward.

w3design
18-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Who would be the 30 players infront him?

ok. Wow this has certainly raised a response. Firstly I should re emphisise that this is purely a subjective personal opinion. Based though it is on having been a life long [very long] Dogs supporter, who goes to as many Dogs games as I can, and regularly attending Willy games, both firsts and ressies when ever I can. Like I stated in my original post I sincerely hope young Everitt surprises me and proves my doubts unfounded. Little would make me happier.
Rather than listing 30+ players by name, that personally I would rate ahead of him right now, it would be easier on my poor old 2 typing fingers to list those behind him presently [sure those interested enough can easily figure out my 30.
First I have not concidered rookies [with the exception of Moles who appears to be bound for the senior list real soon].
Now some players on this list I believe are likely to become regular seniors before long and could also leap frog E.
My 31+ [or so] list is: 32 , 49, 1, 30, 37, 31, 43, 34 [yet to see enough of him], 19 [I am a big fan and think he will be top 22 in 2011].

chef
18-03-2010, 09:38 PM
ok. Wow this has certainly raised a response. Firstly I should re emphisise that this is purely a subjective personal opinion. Based though it is on having been a life long [very long] Dogs supporter, who goes to as many Dogs games as I can, and regularly attending Willy games, both firsts and ressies when ever I can. Like I stated in my original post I sincerely hope young Everitt surprises me and proves my doubts unfounded. Little would make me happier.
Rather than listing 30+ players by name, that personally I would rate ahead of him right now, it would be easier on my poor old 2 typing fingers to list those behind him presently [sure those interested enough can easily figure out my 30.
First I have not concidered rookies [with the exception of Moles who appears to be bound for the senior list real soon].
Now some players on this list I believe are likely to become regular seniors before long and could also leap frog E.
My 31+ [or so] list is: 32 , 49, 1, 30, 37, 31, 43, 34 [yet to see enough of him], 19 [I am a big fan and think he will be top 22 in 2011].

Would still like to see the list(your top 30 that doesn't include Everitt).

w3design
18-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Pretty easily done at home Chef, take a texta to the the club senior list in any publication you choose.

Sockeye Salmon
18-03-2010, 10:33 PM

You have Addison, Callan, Stack, Roughead, Wood and Tiller in front of Everitt? That sounds remarkably like someone has shot from the lip and is trying to justify it.

Roughead hasn't even played a real game and Wood and Stack have so far achieved nothing. Callan, Addison and Tiller are in a battle to stay on the list at the end of the year.

Reid and Eagleton are behind Everitt IMO but I'll concede those two are marginal.

chef
18-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Pretty easily done at home Chef, take a texta to the the club senior list in any publication you choose.

So why is it so hard for you to post it?

Here, I will save you the time.

FB Harbrow Lake Morris
HB Hargrave Williams Gilbee
C Griffen Cross Higgins
HF Johnson Murphy Giansiracusa
FF Hahn Hall Hill
RR Hudson Cooney Boyd
IN Akermanis Eagleton Minson Ward

Addison, Callan, Stack, Picken, Moles, Roughead, Wood, Tiller, Reid and then Everitt.

Is this correct?

LostDoggy
19-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree that some changes shoul of been made at times last season but i don't think skinny did enough to force the coaching staff to play him. When he did play senior football he lacked intensity and didn't seem to me he was desperate to play seniors like a Ward.

The thing that was confusing for me is Eade was happy to give Stack a go. He is one player who I thought was under achieving at Willi but still got games. That is one reason other players may get a bit miffed. Especially when you see players performing well but get over looked.

It looks like Everitts head is now in the right place and hopefully he gets the reward for hard work.

1eyedog
19-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Will be good once he gets his hands on the ball a bit more.

w3design
20-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Ok Chef, "why is it so hard for me?" Normally I am a one finger per hand typist. However as I currently have my right arm in a sling post operatively, short cuts are a bit of a necessity for me right now.
While personally I might structure that line up a little differently, I would find that acceptable.
Look, like I have said [repeatedly] I hope young Everitt proves me wrong, and comes good. Like anfo27, I have seen too much that I don't like, and too little to support the hype that surrounds him [E].
Yes as some have pointed out, other players have been given games more on potential than on performance, but I can not think of many who have been given as many games on the basis of so little [performance as distinct from potential].
In responce to Sockeye, I make no appology for the fact that I am an unashamed fan of the type of player who is aware of his own limitations talent wise, and works his absolute ass off to be the very best player he can possibly be, rather than those who coast along on their god given talent and expect that to be enough, and that things will continue to just fall into their laps. Guys like Crossy, West, Boyd and Morris etc. are the ones I admire the most.

chef
21-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Ok Chef, "why is it so hard for me?" Normally I am a one finger per hand typist. However as I currently have my right arm in a sling post operatively, short cuts are a bit of a necessity for me right now.
While personally I might structure that line up a little differently, I would find that acceptable.
Look, like I have said [repeatedly] I hope young Everitt proves me wrong, and comes good. Like anfo27, I have seen too much that I don't like, and too little to support the hype that surrounds him [E].
Yes as some have pointed out, other players have been given games more on potential than on performance, but I can not think of many who have been given as many games on the basis of so little [performance as distinct from potential].
In responce to Sockeye, I make no appology for the fact that I am an unashamed fan of the type of player who is aware of his own limitations talent wise, and works his absolute ass off to be the very best player he can possibly be, rather than those who coast along on their god given talent and expect that to be enough, and that things will continue to just fall into their laps. Guys like Crossy, West, Boyd and Morris etc. are the ones I admire the most.

You can type all that but not type(or cut and paste) 30 names, fair enough.

If you are going to make a grand statement you have to expect a few questions flying your way(don't take it personally):).

Anyway getting back to the question, is my list correct mate?

Sockeye Salmon
21-03-2010, 12:40 PM

So you like those who try hard rather than are actually good?

That's fine in the under 10's but if you want to win premierships you need some talent.

Four of the guys you have ahead of Everitt - Roughead, Wood, Reid and Stack - have played less than 10 games between them.

This is a classic example of Sockeye's 20 game rule.

mighty_west
21-03-2010, 01:38 PM
There is no way known Reid, Roughead, Stack & Wood are ahead of Everitt, and i am a huge wrap for Roughead.

Jordan showed some good signs in his 3 NAB Cup games, however he hasn't even played a home & away game yet, he potentially could be better than Everitt down the track, but not right now.

Stack has played one good game, against a flaky Freo side where he bagged 3 or 4 goals, apart from that, not alot to hang his hat on, he's one that needs a big year, he has been in the system long enough to takle the next step, and has seen Hill & Harbrow shoots MILES head of himself.

Reid looks the goods, but again, he's played one decent game, and will go into thie season with no pre season under his belt.

Wood's few games in the ones have been patchy at best.

At least with Everitt, whilst he needed to lift his intensity, played a decent first season in the ones, showed some very good signs, played quite a few decent games, and so far this years NAB, hasn't put a food wrong, has showed at times how valuable a player he can be.

MrMahatma
21-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I'd have Addison, Everitt, Moles, Reid & Eagleton all fighting for the final place in our best 22. And I'd have them neck and neck pretty much.

Everitt isn't a star (yet?) but he's not that far away from consistent senior matches.

anfo27
22-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I'd have Addison, Everitt, Moles, Reid & Eagleton all fighting for the final place in our best 22. And I'd have them neck and neck pretty much.

Everitt isn't a star (yet?) but he's not that far away from consistent senior matches.

A much as the bold one has given me the pip over the years i would have him winning that race by more than a neck.

Mantis
22-03-2010, 06:17 PM
A much as the bold one has given me the pip over the years i would have him winning that race by more than a neck.

What would be your justification for that decision? (Obviously Reid is excluded due to injury)

comrade
22-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Eagle needs to get fit and lose some of the pudding, before he should be considered. If he's not damaging the opposition by gut running, he's a liability with his butter fingers and lack of aerial ability.

Everitt's form >>>>> Eagleton's form.

anfo27
22-03-2010, 06:31 PM
What would be your justification for that decision? (Obviously Reid is excluded due to injury)

The eagle has the runs on the board for starters. He is better kick, better runner and just simply a better player than the other players listed. The eagle deserves that spot infront of the others.
He won't be there for round 1 so Everitt will get first crack at nailing a spot in the 22. I hope he can take that chance but i wouldn't say i'm confident he will.

chef
22-03-2010, 06:47 PM
The eagle has the runs on the board for starters. He is better kick, better runner and just simply a better player than the other players listed. The eagle deserves that spot infront of the others.
He won't be there for round 1 so Everitt will get first crack at nailing a spot in the 22. I hope he can take that chance but i wouldn't say i'm confident he will.

Not sure anyone deserves a spot in our side ATM, with our depth and where the team is at. I don't like the idea of carrying a player until he gets back in form.

MrMahatma
22-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Eade said in the paper that giving kids priority games has helped build then list to what it is. I'd say that theory will continue and we'll see the youngerguys get priority over older guys who are on the downward spiral... Form permitting obviously.

Won't be an easy choice. Interesting conversation for the match committee.

Swoop
22-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I guess you could argue whether Eagleton actually does have any runs on the board, I would dare say he has used up all his runs last season and he would have openly accepted the fact that every game he plays this year he earns on the merit of his own form.

macca
23-03-2010, 03:33 AM
I guess you could argue whether Eagleton actually does have any runs on the board, I would dare say he has used up all his runs last season and he would have openly accepted the fact that every game he plays this year he earns on the merit of his own form.

Competition is great, and it will add to people's desire to play one better. Bring it on. I want to see vintage Eagleton. Dashing down the wing, outside 50 and pummel a few goals! Remember him in his younger days in 98,99 where he kicked bags of goals! Everitt knows he has to get better, play with desire, and see Eagleton, every game is his last .