PDA

View Full Version : Rd 2 - vs Richmond: In's and Out's

Mantis
28-03-2010, 09:36 PM
I see alot of posters wanting us to make 3 or 4 changes (Morris, Moles, Ward, Eagleton), but as yet I am yet to see which players will pay the price for the loss.

Time to put your ghoulies on the line.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2010, 09:41 PM
IN: Morris, Ward
OUT: Addison, Hill

-----------------------------

* Eagleton's run and carry is important because we're lacking in that department, but he's looked out of shape in the NAB Cup. Should spend a couple weeks at Williamstown before getting a call up.

* Hill was very disappointing today. Straight swap for Ward.

* Moles very unlucky - should of played today instead of Addison.

The Pie Man
28-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Morris for Addison

Williams/Minson were average but they'll stay

I imagine Ward/Eagleton will struggle to get up - if any of these guys were fit and considered, Picken might be looked at.

AndrewP6
28-03-2010, 09:52 PM
In - Morris, Ward/Eagleton (if either can get up - Moles if they can't)
Out - Addison, Hill (if Ward/Eagle play)

WILLLBUR and Tommy will probably stay, as there aren't ready made replacements i.e. they keep their spots by default.

LostDoggy
28-03-2010, 09:55 PM
In: Morris
Out: Addison

G-Mo77
28-03-2010, 09:58 PM

We never make many changes and I think this is all that will happen next week.

LostDoggy
28-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Agree that Hill and Addison didn't do their best on the park today, but what did others think about Everitt? He just worries me sometimes - it's probably just inexperience, but he doesn't seem to have any awareness of who is around him? Tommygun also made a couple of silly mistakes, but frankly a few of them didn't hit their straps very well! Conditions must have been slippery with humidity, but the Pies had to play in it too, so that's no excuse for not hitting targets, etc. I think Moles should come in for Addison, and hopefully Morris will be back too. :D

LostDoggy
28-03-2010, 10:02 PM

For myself, i am not ready to start making knee jerk reactions over Round 1. We all know that today the boys weren't the team we know they are, i will back them in 100% next week to turn things around. The season is still young & i feel making wholesale changes would be a stupid move, considering the month the guys have put in previously.

LostDoggy
28-03-2010, 10:05 PM
-
I imagine Ward/Eagleton will struggle to get up - if any of these guys were fit and considered, Picken might be looked at.

On what basis? Bad performance? Lack of opponent vs Richmond? I thought he did a good job keeping Lockyer from killin us.

WILLLBUR and Tommy will probably stay, as there aren't ready made replacements i.e. they keep their spots by default.

Don't think it'd happen but Id drop Minson and debut Roughie against the Tiges..show Minson performances like that can get you dropped. Same with Williams, bring in Morris - unsure who he would take from Richmond anyway.

mighty_west
28-03-2010, 10:10 PM

This.

The Pie Man
28-03-2010, 10:12 PM
On what basis? Bad performance? Lack of opponent vs Richmond? I thought he did a good job keeping Lockyer from killin us..

Lockyer had 21 disposals, Picken 9. Not sure why we focused on Lockyer anyway, Didak's 22 tuches and 4 goals hurt plenty more.

I'm a massive Liam fan, and he kicked a nice goal, though I stand by the comment

Don't think it'd happen but Id drop Minson and debut Roughie against the Tiges..show Minson performances like that can get you dropped. Same with Williams, bring in Morris - unsure who he would take from Richmond anyway.

Not a bad idea re: Minson, with Everitt being able to pinch hit in the ruck as a 3rd option if need be (only if needed, don't want to open that can of worms :))

chef
28-03-2010, 10:22 PM
IN Morris, Ward and Moles

OUT Williams, Addison and ???

Doc26
28-03-2010, 10:36 PM
On what basis? Bad performance? Lack of opponent vs Richmond? I thought he did a good job keeping Lockyer from killin us.

Picken did a reasonable job today. Lockyer can be more damaging than what he was today and our bleeding wasn't a result of Liam. Also Deledio hates playing on Picken and would be the single obvious matchup. In fact we could see an attempted murder next Sunday if Liam does again what he did to Lids last year .

Not opposed to dropping Will for Roughead. Will was just awful today on all fronts.

As much as he's killing me I would hold on Tom for now and send Dylan packing again for Dale.

LostDoggy
28-03-2010, 10:56 PM

Agree, but would love a few to be blooded. Moles esp, plus Grant for Hill and Roughead for Minson

Rance Fan
28-03-2010, 11:02 PM
In - Morris, Moles, Roughead
Out - Addison, Hill, Minson

Agree good for Roughhead debut (tigers), good lesson for him and Minson
Everitt was good today. Provided good run
Picken was ok, Lockyer didnt do much
Rather Moles body size and attack compared to Hill....handsdown

Stefcep
28-03-2010, 11:24 PM
How long before Hill gets the message to harden the f**k up.

I'm done with persisting with him. No its not just after Round 1. Been too loose, far too casual for far too long

boydogs
28-03-2010, 11:50 PM

Really missed Dale down back. Tempted to swap Hill for Moles/Ward, but we need to improve defensive pressure up forward and removing Josh will just make things worse

chef
28-03-2010, 11:53 PM
How long before Hill gets the message to harden the f**k up.

I'm done with persisting with him. No its not just after Round 1. Been too loose, far too casual for far too long

Don't agree, I saw a lot worse today from more senior players.

G-Mo77
29-03-2010, 12:02 AM

His accountability is appalling at times. He was exposed a lot more due to playing on that wing and I guess it stood out a lot more to me because that is were I sat and it stared me in the face every time his opponent walked away with an uncontested possession. I like what Josh brings offensively but IMO what he doesn't bring hurts a lot more.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Out: Minson; Addison
In: Roughead; Morris

Sedat
29-03-2010, 01:08 AM
Out: Minson; Addison
In: Roughead; Morris
Reading Rocket's comments at the press conference, Will obviously stunk it up today. But there are plenty of people forgiving the selection of Johnno today by saying that he will be 'better for the run', whilst at the same time ignoring the fact that Minson has had even less of a pre-season than Johnno. Minson would no doubt also benefit enormously from the run today and IMO should not come into calculations for demotion until such time as he has had a sustained run of poor form.

boydogs
29-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Reading Rocket's comments at the press conference, Will obviously stunk it up today. But there are plenty of people forgiving the selection of Johnno today by saying that he will be 'better for the run', whilst at the same time ignoring the fact that Minson has has even less of a pre-season than Johnno. Minson would no doubt also benefit enormously from the run today and IMO should not come into calculations for demotion until such time as he has had a sustained run of poor form.

Good call

becmatty
29-03-2010, 02:08 AM
In: Morris, Ward
Out: Addison, Picken

Remi Moses
29-03-2010, 03:44 AM
Reading Rocket's comments at the press conference, Will obviously stunk it up today. But there are plenty of people forgiving the selection of Johnno today by saying that he will be 'better for the run', whilst at the same time ignoring the fact that Minson has had even less of a pre-season than Johnno. Minson would no doubt also benefit enormously from the run today and IMO should not come into calculations for demotion until such time as he has had a sustained run of poor form.

I'll second that. No knee jerk reactions after 1Game

chef
29-03-2010, 08:49 AM
His accountability is appalling at times. He was exposed a lot more due to playing on that wing and I guess it stood out a lot more to me because that is were I sat and it stared me in the face every time his opponent walked away with an uncontested possession. I like what Josh brings offensively but IMO what he doesn't bring hurts a lot more.

So was Higgins, Cooney, Griffen etc. I was just defending an easy target while more senior players get let of the hook.

Topdog
29-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Higgins looked slow yesterday, not sure if he was carrying a niggle.

Only change would be to undo the forced change so Morris in.

You can't go dropping players after 1 bad game.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Could have been due to the fact that Leigh Brown cleaned him up early on.:cool:

Re: Minson, i don't think it's his fitness imo that people are critical of. We know he had a limited preseason. It's the stupid pushes in the back or holding in the ruck contests allowing a clearance for nothing and a 50m which went a long way to icing the game for the Pies.

Match fitness little to do with it.

Cyberdoggie
29-03-2010, 10:05 AM
This.

I agree.

Rodney doesn't usually throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Although, Callan Ward would be a good inclusion. I thought we missed his toughness at the contests.

Our defenders like Hargrave, Harbrow, Williams and Addison all played poorly and were beaten especially by the smaller forwards. Of course it will be a different story against Richmond, so throwing the team out is pointless. No doubt we will come up against a poor Richmond side and everyone will be superstars once again.

Hill didn't do much at all but at least he tried defensively from what i could see at ground level. He may even get another chance this week.

So i'll stick with Morris in and Addison out for now.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Morris miss due to Illness, also heard Harbrow, Shaggy and Aker were also not feeling 100%

Morris should come straight in for Addison I think that will be the only change, but would like to see Ward if fit get back in..

Minson and Williams both struggled - Williams seem to panic as soon as he got the footy.. Will's hands are still a problem - gloves?

I think Hill should play in the forward pocket next to Hall - Gia, Aker, Higgins roving the pack!!

Forward line pressure was non existent yesterday!!!

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 10:58 AM
in: Roughy, Morris
out: Will, Addison

Will should be shown what the VFL looks like because he played like he would struggle to be in the firsts at Williamstown. Addison made basic errors and needed to make more of the opportunity.

Ward should come in if he is fully fit, maybe for Hill who was lack-lustre.

Mofra
29-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Bingo. I though Rocket was using the press conference to get Will to fire up as well as he has doen this for players in the past.

Out: Addison or Hill

Addison's judgement hasn't improved at all and he has to start wearing long stops, even in the dry
Hill just didn't show enough intensity - one player who fails puts the whole zone defence in danger. Hill was that player yesterday.

Ozza
29-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Higgins is particularly slow when the opposition has the ball. Seems to find energy and pace when he's a chance of getting the footy.

Ozza
29-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Outs: Addison is the very obvious one, because he is too slow and not up to it.
Williams has made an art form of coughing up the footy and dropping easy marks, hard to keep him in the side also.
Hill looked awful today.

Ins, will obviously be Morris firstly. The backline was completely disorganised without him, looked a rabble. Moles has shown enough poise in the pre-season to suggest he'll do a good job. We missed Callan Ward's hardness also.

DOG GOD
29-03-2010, 12:03 PM
In:Morris
Out:Addison

I'd get Ward and Eagleton right before rushing them back in. Its a long season ahead. Definately missed Morris's leadership in the back half yesterday. We need the "General" back ASAP.

Both Minson and Hill will be on tender hooks i would imagine if they perform like that in the next few weeks.

The slowness of our fwd line has me a littlew concerned.

mighty_west
29-03-2010, 12:56 PM
I was actually a little suprised that Addison got a gig before Moles yesterday, i would have thought that given on pre season form, Moles would have added so much more than Dylan, but i suppose he was probably needed more given Morris's exclusion, as more of a stopper rather than playmaker down back.

I agree with others to give Ward another week, although, it's nice to showcase Wards skills in front of the Richmond faithful...;)

The other issue would be, who would come out for Ward & Moles & whoever else could slot straight in?

G-Mo77
29-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I was actually a little suprised that Addison got a gig before Moles yesterday, i would have thought that given on pre season form, Moles would have added so much more than Dylan, but i suppose he was probably needed more given Morris's exclusion, as more of a stopper rather than playmaker down back.

How long ago was the virus known about? Addison, Moles and Ward are not real good replacements for Morris so it looks like it was unexpected otherwise a more suitable emergency would have been picked.

Tim Callan would have been handy yesterday.

mighty_west
29-03-2010, 01:41 PM
How long ago was the virus known about? Addison, Moles and Ward are not real good replacements for Morris so it looks like it was unexpected otherwise a more suitable emergency would have been picked.

I actually mentioned Timmy Callan to my brother yesterday before the game when i found out Morris wasn't playing & Addison was in, knowing Morris usually shuts down Didak, so Addsion probably made more sense than Moles or Ward.

Everitt had to play down back for alot of the game as well, and he actually did ok, a few spoils, didn't get out bodied like has has done in the past, but their 3 smalls killed us in the end, Davis, Didak & Medhurst, so i guess with Morris missing, does unbalance the side somewhat.

It also wasn't Harbrows best game, ALOT of turnovers, but Davis seemed to get the better of him as well.

Timmy Callan could have been handy as just stopping or trying to stop one of those smalls, as we know, Addsion plays tough, can do some good things, but isn't a real stopper as such.

Rance Fan
29-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I think we need to make a few changes. ie Minson - Roughead
We have the talent there. Knocking on the door and putting the pressure on for spots.
We need to reward players who keep stepping up and not accept poor performances.
Verus Richmond....great opportunity to give guys like Roughead a run

EasternWest
29-03-2010, 02:23 PM

You know what, I was thinking the exact same thing. Could Tim play as a defensive/harassing forward? It would certainly help us to keep the ball in.

As for other changes, I agree with most posters here. Unfortunately, my boy out, Morris straight in.

Williams made tons of mistakes, but I thought his endeavour was ok and didn't really notice him being caught horribly out of position as is sometimes his want.

Others had poor games (Will!), but I think wholesale changes aren't the way to go.

And i don't think Johnno should have played. Not that he played poorly, but that was a cracking paced game and his match fitness must be down.

Dry Rot
29-03-2010, 04:58 PM
If the team is riddled with flu, we may some strange ins and outs this week.

Greystache
29-03-2010, 05:40 PM
In: Morris, Roughead

Out: Addison, Minson,

Morris for Addison is a gimme, I'd also play Minson against Coburg and let him ruck all day. He looked dreadfully slow and inflexible, which to me indicates he was struggling for fitness. I think against Richmond's rucks Roughead could hold his own, and he'd be better for the experience.

Sedat
29-03-2010, 05:40 PM
In: Morris, Moles
Out: DFA, Hill

The only wholesale changes that need to be made are to the defensive mindset of the playing group. I hope we take no prisoners this week and for the rest of the season.

cambo
29-03-2010, 09:49 PM
IN Morris, Ward and Moles

OUT Williams, Addison and ???

agree with yours in's
outs Williams, Addison, Everitt, Hill

Dazza
29-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I'd be tempted to rest one of Johnson or Akermanis.

Jasper
29-03-2010, 10:25 PM
I'd be tempted to rest one of Johnson or Akermanis.

I think its to early to be doing that. I know its only Richmond but still I think Johnno needs more game time and this couldn't be a better game for him to run around and kick a bag along with Aker.

alwaysadog
29-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Perhaps before we hold a gun to anyone's head we might want to find out who might not be available due to illness.

LostDoggy
29-03-2010, 11:12 PM
Collingwood's forward line pressure was excellent, whereas our pressure and tackles were down. We improve in this area and make every player accountable, then no need to be talking about dropping players.

I am not convinced Ward is ready, nor Eagleton. Williams and Johnno have to be given more time. Minno just had a bad one. So my only change would be Morris for Addison, with Hill on notice. If you bring in Moles, then I would be omitting Everett., depending on match ups. Gilbee and Harbrow should provide more run if they are fit and in position.

Sockeye Salmon
30-03-2010, 12:39 AM

I'm with stef on this one. I thought Hill was dreadful. In fact his entire pre-season has been crap.

Hill and Addison for Morris and Moles.

I'd like to know where Ward is at.

Before I Die
30-03-2010, 01:07 AM
The only change I would make would be to accomodate the return of Morris if fit. The obvious out would be Addison, though I thought he was no worse than Shaggy on Sunday. Shaggy, however, has more points on the board.
If Moles couldn't displace Hill before the Collingwood game, I don't see how he has any better case now. I would give all the boys a chance to redeem against Richmond before I started waving the axe around.

chef
30-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm with stef on this one. I thought Hill was dreadful. In fact his entire pre-season has been crap.

Don't agree with that. But if Rocket is going to play him in defence instead of attack(Hill's one of only a couple of Bulldog's players who can take an over head mark in the forward line) I would rather Moles come into the team. Hill's not a defender.

Hotdog60
30-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Ward is two weeks away, still got some niggles with he's groin.

Mantis
30-03-2010, 10:15 PM

How very unlike you to say Hill was poor.:rolleyes:

Having now watched most of the game I would have to say that Hahn has been as bad if not worse than Hill.

azabob
30-03-2010, 10:42 PM
In: Morris , Moles

Out: Hahn, Addison

LostDoggy
30-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I too think Minson should get dropped for this game for Roughead. If Roughead has a good game against Richmond, play him in Round 3 also.

GVGjr
30-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Having now watched most of the game I would have to say that Hahn has been as bad if not worse than Hill.

I was disappointed with Hahns effort as well. He's never been the most consistent player so he's likely to bounce back well next week.

Mantis
31-03-2010, 09:31 AM

I would also look at Williams purely on the basis as there doesn't seem to be a suitable match-up, but in reality he just needs to play. If he doesn't play I would bring in Moles. In saying that Richmond will probably have to bring in one of Polak, Post or Rance to play up forward.

I would give the rest a few more weeks yet to find their mojo because if they don't we will have to unleash the 'Bald Eagle'... and heaven help the competition then.

Swoop
31-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I think we actually went in without enough midfield run/rotations, Moles would have been a good inclusion and obviously Morris is our best negating defender so he is a monty.

Johnson will be better for the run and it is a good thing we are playing Richmond this week. I wouldn't rule out dropping Williams this week, Richmond are not overly tall and I would want to reward Everitt as I actually thought he played a reasonable game on the weekend. Josh Hill at this stage appears to be an excess forward as we currently have Hahn, Johnson, Hall & Murphy who can play that marking forward role ahead of him, although Hahn wouldn't be too far ahead.

Addison is the other one who didn't really impress and appears to be a man without a position at the minute, more than likely they will drop him directly for Morris but if Callan Ward is available that would be the third change I would make.

Lindsay Gilbee is worrying me at the moment, his form hasn't been good for some time and obviously you can excuse him last year due to his fathers passing away but nothing seems to have changed just yet, his kicking skills are not elite as they once were and he seems to struggle when played further up the field. I'm not suggesting dropping him but it is certainly worth watching his efforts over the next few weeks and hopefully he can find some form

All in all, lots of speculation and plenty to discuss for the match committee but the reality is it will probably be one change and two at the maximum, I understand players get the benefit of the doubt and you would hope that trust is returned in their performance on the weekend.

Hahn & Wiliams to be given a kick up the ass but to keep their spots while Moles & Morris to return for Addison & Hill at this stage as I don't think Ward will be right just yet.

w3design
31-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Lindsay Gilbee is worrying me at the moment, his form hasn't been good for some time and obviously you can excuse him last year due to his fathers passing away but nothing seems to have changed just yet, his kicking skills are not elite as they once were and he seems to struggle when played further up the field. I'm not suggesting dropping him but it is certainly worth watching his efforts over the next few weeks and hopefully he can find some form

I would agree with that and I think we are really missing his drive off halfback, especially when Harbrow has his hands full with his own opponent. I hope he comes good soon.

The Pie Man
31-03-2010, 07:07 PM
This in the Herald Sun this afternoon

Eade said defender Dale Morris, who was a late withdrawal against the Magpies with a virus, was also set to return.

"Dale will be right and probably Brodie Moles will probably come in as well at this stage,'' Eade said.

"We'll see who the players (are that) go out, we'll make that decision Saturday.''

Eade said veteran Nathan Eagleton would come back through Williamstown in the VFL.

LostDoggy
31-03-2010, 07:19 PM
I see Moles coming in along with Morris. Everrit to miss as I felt he was an inclusion for Morris and Moles to replace Addison.

GVGjr
31-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Is Cooney right for this week?

chef
31-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Is Cooney right for this week?

Maybe....

Out Addison and Cooney(hurt his knee?? requiring a jab which lead to his kicking and running being off during the game)

In Moles and Morris

AndrewP6
31-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Maybe....

Out Addison and Cooney(hurt his knee?? requiring a jab which lead to his kicking and running being off during the game)

In Moles and Morris

Is that for real?

Sockeye Salmon
31-03-2010, 11:18 PM
They added Morris, Moles, Roughead, Wood, Grant & Callan to the squad

LostDoggy
31-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Didn't Cooney get the all clear on his knee? that's what i heard.

chef
31-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Is that for real?

Not sure, just assuming that's why he wasn't chasing and his kicking was off.

A friend watched the game on TV and said Cooney twisted his knee(up the other end from where I was sitting).

G-Mo77
01-04-2010, 02:26 AM
If Cooney is sore then let him sit this one out. We should be able to TCOB without him there. That being said all reports I have heard is that is knee is fine, don't take that as gospel though.

chef
01-04-2010, 07:27 AM

If Cooney is sore then let him sit this one out. We should be able to TCOB without him there. That being said all reports I have heard is that is knee is fine, don't take that as gospel though.

Good news.

GVGjr
02-04-2010, 11:09 AM

What I heard early in the week wasn't about the knee. I've been offline for a couple of days (due to a PC/Internet issue) so it might have changed. It wasn't a long term concern at all and very much likely to be for one week.

LostDoggy
02-04-2010, 12:57 PM
What I heard early in the week wasn't about the knee. I've been offline for a couple of days (due to a PC/Internet issue) so it might have changed. It wasn't a long term concern at all and very much likely to be for one week.

Ah ok, did it involve the clash he had with Pendlebury?

AndrewP6
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but just watching AFL Teams on Foxtel, and Leigh Colbert said Johnno wouldn't be playing (not related to Golfgate)Also, as a result of the huge bake given by Rocket, Parko said there would be changes this week. My tip (unsubstantiated!) is that WILLLBUR will be "rested" for Roughy. As has been mentioned, he said all players were given a serve.

Go_Dogs
02-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Interesting stuff Andrew.

If Johnno doesn't play that'll be pretty interesting, given the amount of conjecture about his selection last week.

Good luck to Roughead too, if he does in fact play. A week or 2 in the 2's to get some confidence up could be just what Will needs.

chef
02-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but just watching AFL Teams on Foxtel, and Leigh Colbert said Johnno wouldn't be playing (not related to Golfgate)Also, as a result of the huge bake given by Rocket, Parko said there would be changes this week. My tip (unsubstantiated!) is that WILLLBUR will be "rested" for Roughy. As has been mentioned, he said all players were given a serve.

Addison was interviewed at the Good Friday Appeal and said he would be playing:D, who do we believe?

divvydan
02-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Final teams:

Richmond
B: Shane Edwards, Kelvin Moore, Chris Newman
HB: Mitch Farmer, Luke McGuane, Will Thursfield
C: Dustin Martin, Brett Deledio, Ben Nason
HF: Tom Hislop, Jack Riewoldt, Richard Tambling
F: Trent Cotchin, Mitch Morton, Robin Nahas
Foll: Troy Simmonds, Daniel Jackson, Adam Thomson
I/C: Tyrone Vickery, Daniel Connors, Jake King, Jayden Post
Emg: Dean Polo, Alex Rance, Jeromey Webberley

In: King, Post
Out: Ben Cousins (knee soreness), Relton Roberts (club suspension)

Western Bulldogs
B: Jarrod Harbrow, Brian Lake, Dale Morris
HB: Ryan Hargrave, Tom Williams, Lindsay Gilbee
C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Robert Murphy, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Jason Akermanis, Barry Hall, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Ben Hudson, Adam Cooney, Ryan Griffen
I/C: Andrejs Everitt, Shaun Higgins, Will Minson, Brodie Moles
Emg: Dylan Addison, Josh Hill, Jordan Roughead

In: Morris, Moles
Out: Dylan Addison, Josh Hill

Dry Rot
02-04-2010, 07:16 PM
So Hill in for Johnno if he doesn't come up?

The Bulldogs Bite
02-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Good to see Moles in the side. Lacked a genuine midfielder last week and he should help out in that area. Hill will be disappointed but he needs to refine his game before coming back into the lineup. Very talented, but doesn't get involved enough. Still think he should start on a wing and then drift forward rather than the other way around, but hopefully he's back soon.

mjp
02-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Lacked a genuine midfielder last week

I still think we are one short. Too many permanent forwards.

Swoop
02-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Is Hill's demotion a result of not having a defined position in our side due to having Murphy, Johnson, Hahn, Hall, Akermanis, Higgins & Giansiracusa ahead of him in his preferred role or is it simply a matter of poor form?

Moving forward for Hill, what does he need to do to re-establish himself within the side and secondly f the above mentioned players are performing well is there still a role within the side for Hill?

AndrewP6
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Addison was interviewed at the Good Friday Appeal and said he would be playing:D, who do we believe?

Ooooh the plot thins! ;)

boydogs
02-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Is Hill's demotion a result of not having a defined position in our side due to having Murphy, Johnson, Hahn, Hall, Akermanis, Higgins & Giansiracusa ahead of him in his preferred role or is it simply a matter of poor form?

Moving forward for Hill, what does he need to do to re-establish himself within the side and secondly f the above mentioned players are performing well is there still a role within the side for Hill?

Just poor form I reckon. You have only mentioned 7 players, which is 6 forwards and a bench option, and this includes midfield options Higgins and Gia. We need the defensive pressure he can offer, he has a great leap and hands and can play further up the ground with good endurance.

I think we saw in the NAB cup how he will benefit from Hall as he won't be taken out by the gorilla defenders like last year with Hall attracting more attention, and will be able to come in from the side more. He just needs to play to his best, there is room in the side for him with his strengths if he is on song.

comrade
02-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Wouldn't be suprised if Jake King was included purely to piss Bazza off all game.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
I still think we are one short. Too many permanent forwards.

We are definitely missing Ward and an in form Eagleton to break the lines. However, with both of them injured we don't have too many other options. It's dumbfounding why Moles didn't play last week because of that. Hopefully he grasps his opportunity on Sunday.

Can he play on a wing, or is he best suited to an in & under role?

LostDoggy
03-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I see this side as our best 22 except for Ward. I personally think that Everrit is worth persevering with to get experience into to him rather than playing Eagleton. I think he will replace Eagleton and gives the side more options with possibly playing in numerous positions. Unlike Eagleton who is only a runner. Play him as long as his form holds. If he drops form then bring in Eagleton. I do expect him to make mistakes but I just think its time for this guy to learn at the pointy end instead of Willi. Would like to see Everrit play wing and rotate forward unless needed else where. Not many wingers his height and would be a hard match up.

Go_Dogs
03-04-2010, 10:55 AM
Can he play on a wing, or is he best suited to an in & under role?

I really hope he can.

From what I've seen over the pre-season, his speed is good enough, and his kicking is reasonable. He's kicked a few ripper balls and a few not so pretty ones, but overall he's been quite alright. Whether he has that gut running ability, and also game sense of knowing when to get forward or wide of a contest to receive, and choose his time to go - those are the sort of things you don't really know until he's played at AFL level.

I'd certainly be giving him instruction to play more of an outside role and see how he goes. We have enough inside players - with Ward and Reid out injured at the moment too - so if Moles wants to become a fixture in the senior side, that is where his opening lies IMO.

Best of luck to him tomorrow and hope he can really put in a good performance.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I'd certainly be giving him instruction to play more of an outside role and see how he goes. We have enough inside players - with Ward and Reid out injured at the moment too - so if Moles wants to become a fixture in the senior side, that is where his opening lies IMO.

Good point. Moles has shown an appetite for the contested ball but he'll struggle to make that position his own. Ward is a proven player and is a key part of our midfield rotations so he won't be displaced. Reid showed a lot late last year against very good opposition - if fully fit he's going to make a big claim to get back into the best 22.

As you said Griff, what Moles can do is make the wing his own. There's next to no competition for this spot so if he can offer an outside role combined with his already slick hands, bigger body and tidy disposal it'll really help us against the better sides.

Should be interesting to see how he plays.