PDA

View Full Version : Round 2 Preview - Western Bulldogs vs. Richmond

EasternWest
30-03-2010, 11:23 PM
****Tipping my hat to Comrade, whose preview was far superior to mine. I have shamelessly plagiarised his format****

2010 Afl Season
Round 2 – Match Preview

Western Bulldogs vs Richmond Tigers
MCG, Sunday 4 April, 4.40pm – Richmond Home Game

When Last They Met
Round 11, 2009 Home and Away season.
Docklands, Friday June 5

Western Bulldogs (157) defeated Richmond (89)

If fairytales existed in the AFL, then Terry Wallace would have been hoping for one after his “resignation” as Richmond coach. Who better to overcome in his last outing than the club he so controversially rejected, and in turn was rejected by, the Western Bulldogs?

The Dogs held all the aces early in the night before a flurry of late goals in the second term saw the Tigers leading by two points going into the main break. Sparked after halftime by Ryan Griffen, who needed to lift after his quiet first half, the Dogs effectively shut the door on the Tigers in the third before running away easy winners by 68 points.

The Dogs were led by Boyd and Cooney, with Harbrow displaying his audacious dash from the backline and Picken once again driving Tigers star midfielder Brett Deledio to distraction.

Pre-amble

The Dogs were served a reality check by the hungry Magpies and will be looking to atone against the Tigers, who were once again hapless in Round 1 versus the Blues. Contrasting preseason campaigns for the two teams saw the Dogs firing on all cylinders while the Tigers faithful dared to dream yet again of a revival. Time will tell if the Dogs engine can regain its confident rumble or if the Tigers new dawn will be revealed as false yet again.

Selection Table – Bulldogs

The late withdrawal of Morris with the flu threw a spanner into the works for the Dogs selection committee that resulted in the unexpected selection of Dylan Addison. Many were touting mature age rookie Brodie Moles to make the cut, given his impressive pre-season campaign, but the coaches went with a more defensively minded approach that appeared to backfire.

Assuming Morris makes a full recovery, Addison is sure to surrender his position to the Dogs premier go-to-stopper.

A number of Bulldogs players were down on form in round one, and will come under the scrutiny of the selection committee. Tom Williams, who couldn’t manage to put a foot right against the Pies, will surely retain his spot. The Dogs dearly hope Williams can develop into a long term centre half back option and will persist with him in the hope that greater exposure will lead to greater composure.

The Dogs may look to blood Roughead against the Tigers at the expense of Minson, who did little on the weekend to refute the “dumbest smart guy” moniker given him by his coach. This is unlikely, but a possibility.

It’s certain that if Nathan Eagleton or Callan Ward are passed fit at least one will slot into the side. The question is at the expense of whom? Youngster Andrejs Everitt showed enough against the Pies to retain his place, while Josh Hill will want to close the gap between his best and worst if he hopes to play round 3 against the Hawks.

Lindsay Gilbee appears down on confidence and form, and it’s worrying that his once deadly kicking has been wonky for some time. After a tumultuous year last year, it would seem that he remains affected by the passing of his father and mate, Laurie.

Similarly, Jarrod Harbrow started the season proper in less than ideal fashion. After a breakout year in 2009, he is sure to come under higher scrutiny from opposition teams who will look to limit his dash out of the backline.

Will either of these players miss? Doubtful, but they will want to find some form soon.

Another contentious issue to consider is the selection of Johnson. His deer in the headlights act when play on was called smacked of a player out of game shape. With match fitness down, do the Dogs omit their skipper or give him the chance to build his base against a “weaker” opposition?

In summary, the Match Committee will look closely at those that underperformed, but wholesale changes are unlikely. Addison will go out, replaced by Morris. One of Ward or Eagleton to possibly replace Hill.

Moles unlucky, again.

Selection Table – Tigers

Will new coach Hardwick look to throw it all in the bin and start again after the disheartening loss to the Blues?

Richmond were well served by their three debutants in round one and it’s likely they will retain their positions. They would dearly love to have Nathan Foley available for some engine room class but he looks to be sidelined for a few more weeks yet. Similarly, they will be hoping that experienced tagger Daniel Jackson will recover sufficiently from the concussion he received.

Tigers fans must have known that after the clean-out by the new coach there would be more pain in the near future to come, hopefully with the benefit of long term gain. In fairness, their endeavour against the Blues was ok, and their performance was not as lamentable as others in the past. But they’re a young side, and the coach is walking the fine line between giving the youngsters experience and making them mentally fragile.

Unlikely to see wholesale changes, but perhaps an appearance by Cinderella Man, Graham Polak.

Key Match Ups

Picken vs Deledio

At times Deledio has been unfairly maligned by AFL fans at large and more so by the notoriously fickle Tigers fans. The label of number 1 draft selection remains with a player for their entire career, and is sometimes portentous, and sometimes a millstone. There is no denying Deledio’s class, but he has a tendency to go missing.

The unheralded rookie elevation Picken has had the Richmond champ’s measure in the past, wearing him like a glove and ensuring that Deledio garners few cheap touches.

Hudson vs Simmons/Vickery

The bearded beast will be matched for size and strength by Simmons, but will look to maul the inexperienced Vickery. Hudson’s value lies more in his grunt work than his tap work, and with the Richmond ruckmen preferring to do their work in the air, look for Ben to have a big influence around the ground.

The Other Riewoldt vs Lake

Not really a big forward option, Nick’s cousin is still a good size and has a decent pair of hands. Lake will look to drift off and help out as much as possible, but he needs to be mindful of Jack as he can be slippery.

Hall vs Moore

This is a match up more to the Dogs liking than the previous week. Prestigiacomo is to full backs what Hall is to full forwards. Big, strong and dour, he was always going to be a tough match up for Hall.

Moore is an honest footballer who tries hard, but it’s hard to see him competing with Hall in the strength stakes. The Dogs should play Hall deep in the goal square and allow him room to move. All in all, this looms as a tough day for Kel Moore.

The X-Factor

Recovery. Each side in their own way suffered demoralising losses in round 1. The Dogs, riding on a wave of public acclaim after a strong preseason were relentlessly hunted and outrun by a ready and waiting Magpies. Likewise, the optimism of a new coach heralding a new era at Richmond was deflated as they ran face first into a great Blue wall. The ability of both teams to assess, amend and learn from their round 1 experience will go a long way to determining the outcome of this match.

The Verdict

Hard to go past the Dogs. Last weeks loss should serve as a wake up call that they can’t assume they will win because their preseason form has been good. Should be nearing the balance point between youth, age and experience that all teams with serious aspirations must. If all plays out as it should, the Bulldogs will have too much class, strength and desire for a fairly young Richmond side.

Bulldogs faithful should be dissatisfied with anything less than a ten goal margin. Hall to kick six.

The Adelaide Connection
31-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Excellent review mate. Looking forward to this one to hopefully wash the bad taste out of my mouth that was last week. In reality we could probably play like we did last week and still have a comfortable win here, but I am hoping that we get back to playing good, clean footy and seeing that tackle count go back north of 70.

Love the "Greater compusure with greater exposure..." line. Gold.

chef
31-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Excellenet review dfa4pm.

EasternWest
31-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, it was harder than I thought it would be, but fun to write.

Geez I hope we smash Richmond.

P.S. I was happy with the exposure/composure line too :). Though it wasn't off the cuff. It's been my impression on Tom all along that he just needs AFL experience and his hands and decision making will improve.

The Adelaide Connection
02-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Bump. Thought this deserved to go back to the top of the board for more exposure.

Re: Tom Williams, I thank god we have Richmond this week and not Hawthorn. If he went straight into the Hawthorn game after last weeks fumblefest I think it could have been a pschological disaster.

Hopefully he will get back on track against Richmond and then have another win against Buddy like that one time in Tassie about 20 years ago :D

Go_Dogs
02-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Bump. Thought this deserved to go back to the top of the board for more exposure.

Good call, and good work on the preview DFA.

Hopefully a big win for the Dogs, and definitely a good opportunity for everyone to get another run under the belt for the tough month ahead.

Sedat
02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Re: Tom Williams, I thank god we have Richmond this week and not Hawthorn. If he went straight into the Hawthorn game after last weeks fumblefest I think it could have been a pschological disaster.
Excellent preview DFA.

Tommy has made a habit of being rubbish first game back from a spell and then vastly improved the next game. Happened in 2008 (rubbish v Freo, very good v Hawks in Tassie) and it happened again in 2009 (rubbish v Pies and much improved the following week against the Dons). I'd expect him to improve significantly this week, irrespective of the fact that Richmond is his opponent.

LostDoggy
03-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Great preview mate, very thorough and analytical.

I just want to get our first win on the board however if we play with the hardness, skill and intensity that we expect I think they'll struggle to get close. That said, if you're slightly down on the day any team can jump you like the Dess did today to Collingwood.

Dogs by 48, Hall to kick 5

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
03-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Great preview, dfa4pm, I especially think you were right pointing out the less than stellar start to the season for Gilbee. Whatever the reasons for his form dip, we absolutely need him to get back to his playmaking best.
Interesting that Moles has been selected at the expense of Hill. It sounds weird, for a bloke who has yet to actually play a Regular season AFL game before, but we really missed his run and carry last week against the Pies. If he can maintain his preseason form then he will be a very handy contributor.

On the flipside a big wake up call this week for Hill who has been dropped. Let's hope he rediscovers his focus and endeavour with a brief spell at Willy.

Given Roughead did not make the final 22, it's fair to say perhaps that his initial selection in the original extended team was more a challenge thrown down by the coaching staff to Will Minson that he is skating on thin ice. Also gives Roughy a real shot in the arm to know that he is not far away.

I do expect the Tiges to go hard early, after their dismal 2nd half performance last week, so I think we will need to make sure we put some scoreboard pressure on early and set the tone. Much like the Dee's today against the Pies, where but for a bit of luck could've won the game, we will need to ensure we do not allow them to keep touch with us.

If we put in a 1st quarter performance like we did last week, then the Tiges will gain an enormous amount of self belief. If on the other hand we hit them hard right from the get go and can gain a 4 or 5 goal advantage early I think we will get the big victory most of us are expecting.

Once again, fantastic preview dfa4pm.