PDA

View Full Version : I wanted to stay a Bulldog: Everitt

Hotdog60
10-04-2010, 11:26 AM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/Everitt_Rd210_246a.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Andrejs Everitt says he never wanted to leave Whitten Oval despite the hot talk surrounding his future during trade week last year.

Everitt's name was bandied about during the exchange period alongside reports he had grown frustrated with a lack of senior opportunities.

Six months and two AFL games later, the 21-year-old said he was entertained by all the speculation surrounding his future particularly as he had only recently signed a new two-year contract.

"There was no one really driving a trade. It was all a bit of talk," he told afl.com.au this week.

"There was nothing really to come out of it at all, no bad blood or anything. It was mainly the media pumping it up.

"I never wanted to leave; definitely not. It was all a bit bizarre and something different to read really."

The laconic Everitt admitted a few clubs had expressed interest but he was determined to remain a Bulldog under the tutelage of Rodney Eade.

He said his relationship with the coach had grown over their three-and-a-bit years together as Eade pushed his young charge to increase his competiveness.

MORE (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/91980/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
"My best position is on the wing but as this club has that many wingmen it's hard to get a spot there as well.

Something most woofers agree with on here, very down to earth person from reading that.

KT31
10-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Great to see he new he had to step up, and by his first couple of games he seems to have got it right.

The Coon Dog
10-04-2010, 12:21 PM
"There was no one really driving a trade. It was all a bit of talk," he told afl.com.au this week.

Yes there bloody well was! Ricky effing Nixon!!!

LostDoggy
10-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Good attitude, and goes to show the respect the players have for Rocket.

LostDoggy
10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes there bloody well was! Ricky effing Nixon!!!

I hope Greg Denham reads this article.

chef
10-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Good attitude, and goes to show the respect the players have for Rocket.

Agree.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Some good signs from Everitt, sounds like he really has his head screwed on right at the moment and it is starting to show in his footy too.

Desipura
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
This boot camp may just be the wake call Everitt and Grant needed given what I witnessed today against Collingwood.

LostDoggy
10-04-2010, 10:20 PM
After reading this article, I have a new sense of respect for Everitt. To be honest, he hasn't really impressed me that much, perhaps because of the laconic and laid back attitude. You can see he has talent, but I have been scratching around trying to see what the Bulldog coaching staff obviously see in him. He does seem more switched on this year, and I certainly hope he proves my perception of him entirely wrong - that would make me very happy;)

Swoop
11-04-2010, 12:20 AM
I believe a greater fitness base this year has been responsible for his improved intensity and concentration which have been two criticisms of his in the past.

Fingers crossed he can continue to maintain a good consistent form line as well as continue to improve and develop his game.

Mofra
11-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Structurally he could become an extremely important player for us. Eade has expressed his desire to have players who are versatile, and Everitt is possibly the only player we have on the list that can play/has played every single position on the ground.

I still think teams will all have a mandatory tall mid/winger in just a year or two and we will have Everitt starting to peak by then. Lucky us.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
...i'm glad you stayed too, Evs.

comrade
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
As far as form on prior year is concerned, Andrejs is easily our biggest improver to date. He gets to more contests and competes better than ever before, and he’s timing his runs forward nicely, too.

The shimmy around Buddy smacked of a player starting to feel comfortable at the highest level.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2010, 06:56 PM
The shimmy around Buddy smacked of a player starting to feel comfortable at the highest level.

Yep. This piece of play was crucial too as we were bombing away a bit to no real advantage of our forwards. Everitt took Buddy on to gian extra yards and then weighted the ball to Hill's advantage for a mark and goal.

Each week, Everitt is showing a couple of improving signs. Even his defensive work has been much improved.

hujsh
12-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Yep. This piece of play was crucial too as we were bombing away a bit to no real advantage of our forwards. Everitt took Buddy on to gian extra yards and then weighted the ball to Hill's advantage for a mark and goal.

Each week, Everitt is showing a couple of improving signs. Even his defensive work has been much improved.

That was impressive but I've also been very pleased at how he has beaten or broke even when he's had to go against the big forwards (eg Buddy a few minutes before the above mentioned shimmy)

Shows he's developing a well rounded game.

anfo27
12-04-2010, 11:33 PM

This is the area thats impressed me the most. I have been critical of skinny but he is slowly winning me over. He still has a long way to go though.

1eyedog
13-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Possible X factor for us. I wish he had just one more preseason under his belt prior to this premiership push. But the pundits say you need a good spread of experience in order to achieve this. Hope he keeps improving every week.

Scraggers
05-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Bump

Speculation is Andrejs will be cut from the Swans to make room for Buddy ... Any interest for him to return to the Bulldogs ??

bulldogtragic
05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
Bump

Speculation is Andrejs will be cut from the Swans to make room for Buddy ... Any interest for him to return to the Bulldogs ??
Reverse the deal. Andreajs for Vez.

SonofScray
05-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I thought he was on track to be a decent player for us, but after his 3rd season (I think) things just went pear shaped. I flipped and flopped between a feeling that we were misusing him, or he was just not up to it mentally.

Haven't followed his career much since leaving, what position has he played for the Swans and where would people describe him at mentally, as in his application to the team and work ethic?

GVGjr
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Bump

While it's very unlikely to happen, after a few more life lessons for Everitt and with us having a new coach it could be worth a chat to him.

F'scary
05-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Might be worth a late draft pick - he's only 24.5 yo and now has 79 games experience. But what is the need for him? What deficiency does he help remedy?

GVGjr
05-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Might be worth a late draft pick - he's only 24.5 yo and now has 79 games experience. But what is the need for him? What deficiency does he help remedy?

Morris is probably in his last year. Athletic 3rd tall defender linked with Roughead and Talia.

F'scary
05-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Morris is probably in his last year. Athletic 3rd tall defender linked with Roughead and Talia.

OK. Might be worth the punt.

1eyedog
05-10-2013, 02:42 PM
I saw absolutely no reason why we should bring him back to the club during his time with Sydney, on the contrary he was at times clearly their weakest link and his lack of defensive pressure is just as evident with them as it was with us.

Problem with the 3rd tall defender role is that he doesn't play tall, never has.

Greystache
05-10-2013, 03:19 PM

I don't think he's much different to Young and i don't think he has as much to offer. I'd pass personally.

F'scary
05-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Each team is required to have one player who has dreadlocks. That could be the window of opportunity for Everett.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-10-2013, 06:16 PM
I don't think he's much different to Young and i don't think he has as much to offer. I'd pass personally.

Tend to agree.

He did have some solid games for Sydney though, played well v Fremantle (or was it Carlton?) in the finals after struggling v Hawthorn.

Should be able to find another club relatively easy.

ratsmac
05-10-2013, 08:11 PM
It would all depend on whether he has sorted out his golf swing or not :D

Cyberdoggie
07-10-2013, 02:36 PM
After he hurt his knee he looked very slow and had a turning circle of a tram.
Add to that his lack of physical pressure and he was getting shown up as a backman.

I think he'll always be a bit player, not quite a forward, not quite a defender or a midfielder.

These days you need players that excel in a certain role, and can also be moved to another if needs require it.

When he first started with us he looked like being a good tall running backman, but perhaps with a lack of confidence or special awareness when on the move, that disappeared from his game and all he was left with was a long kick.

LostDoggy
07-10-2013, 05:45 PM
I doubt he fits into Macca's game plan. Not hard enough at the ball.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-10-2013, 05:56 PM

Agreed. He lacks the necessary character I'm afraid.

F'scary
08-10-2013, 12:02 AM
After he hurt his knee he looked very slow and had a turning circle of a tram.
Add to that his lack of physical pressure and he was getting shown up as a backman.

I think he'll always be a bit player, not quite a forward, not quite a defender or a midfielder.

These days you need players that excel in a certain role, and can also be moved to another if needs require it.

When he first started with us he looked like being a good tall running backman, but perhaps with a lack of confidence or special awareness when on the move, that disappeared from his game and all he was left with was a long kick.

Agreed. He lacks the necessary character I'm afraid.

OK. Forget the whole idea. Case closed.