PDA

View Full Version : Round 4 - In's and Out's.

chef
11-04-2010, 05:58 PM
In Eagleton
Out Moles(if Akers alright, otherwise we will get replaced)

The Bald Eagle is ready to return IMO and Moles will be the unlucky one to go out. Grant to come in for Hargrave if he doesn't come up.

Hotdog60
11-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Aker has done a hamstring, so Eagle for Aker and Moles stays.

chef
11-04-2010, 06:05 PM
Aker has done a hamstring, so Eagle for Aker and Moles stays.

Just saw that on the delayed telecast and changed my original post:o.

LostDoggy
11-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Shaggy and Aker didnt come back on so you might rule them out for n/w. Picken came off with ankle problems..so there could be 3 changes.

Eagle you'd say in, Callan? Wood? DFA?

Hotdog60
11-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Eade was saying that Shaggy had a sore neck with some pins and needles, so it was precautionary that they kept him off.

I think he'll be right for next week.

Hotdog60
11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I just saw areplay of Shaggy's injury and he may have got a bit of whiplash, as he hit the ground his nesk snapped back.

LostDoggy
11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Eade was saying that Shaggy had a sore neck with some pins and needles, so it was precautionary that they kept him off.

I think he'll be right for next week.

According to Channel 7 he is in the Epworth

Rocco Jones
11-04-2010, 07:13 PM
If 1 of Aker, Shaggy and Picken are out= Eagleton in
2 out= and DFA
3 out= and Wood

Would (pardon the unintentional pun) look for a reason to play more runners. This is going to sound extremely blasphemous but I would strongly look at Johnno playing for Willy 2nds. The seniors are playing up in Gold Coast and we are obviously playing at the Gabba. A limited pre-season, only played 1 game and was off the training track for a week. I think a trip up North and then a 6 day break is going to do him more harm than good.

I see him playing at Willy 2nds as a training session.

LostDoggy
11-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Ward might be ready to return as well, and I'd put him in before Wood.

soupman
11-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Outs:
Akermanis: Obviously his injury rules him out anyway, but I would have dropped him. He hasn't offered us anything this season, and I'm thinking he probably should have retired last year. He seems slow and relatively unfit, gives us nothing defensively as a forward, doesn't do enough to play in the midfield and hasn't been kicking or setting up goals. His disposal by foot has dropped off, and this may be in part due to the extra pressure he finds himself underneath without the same turn of pace as he has had in the past. Him and Johnson in the one side won't be pretty; it will restrict our run too much.

Hargrave: I expect him to miss through injury. Tingling in the fingers isn't ideal. Hopefully he comes up but him missing isn't the biggest loss. I think Everitt can cover Brennan and not sure who else is a threat in Brisbanes line up.

Williams: Hopefully he is alright but given his track record I'm expecting an 8 week injury.

Picken: He'll probably come up but I'll put him in here anyway.

Ins:
Eagleton (for Akermanis): Gives us another midfielder, which will help re establish our run. Also likely to kick goals, and loves playing at the GABBA

Grant (for Hargrave): Reward him for a good showing, and get him to play alongside Hall. The more matches we get into this player the better IMO.

If a Williams or Picken miss I would expect to see Addison or Wood come into the side. Both can play the half back/wing role and would help our run.

Don't play either of Ward or Johnson. Just ease them back into it through the VFL.

Go_Dogs
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Williams: Hopefully he is alright but given his track record I'm expecting an 8 week injury.

Seemed to play out the game ok, so I don't think there will be any concerns there.

Given that we are travelling to Brisbane, I think Akermanis will likely be rested even if the strain isn't a serious one.

Will be interesting to see if Eagleton comes straight back in, given his soft tissue history and the longer flight.

Hotdog60
11-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Quote from the AFL site:

Bulldog Ryan Hargrave was also taken to hospital after the game for a CT scan after colliding with Brent Renouf in the opening minutes.

"He got a knock to the neck and felt some tingles in his hand," Eade said after his side's 16-point win.

"It was just precaution; we couldn't afford to send him back on.

"We're hopeful if the scan and x-ray is clear, he'll be right for next week. If there's anything worse, we'll have to wait and see."

Popcorn Chicken
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Addison for Picken
Grant for Hargrave if not available
Eagle/ Wood for Aker

LostDoggy
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Eade said in his press conference that Picken will miss at least 2 weeks.

Hotdog60
11-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I was just watching Rockets post media conference and Big Will came into the conversation, Rocket kind of indicated that Will maybe going to Willy this week.

If that happens I think Roughy may make his debut.

bornadog
11-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Out: Aker, Picken

In: Eagleton and Johnno.

Go_Dogs
11-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Eade said in his press conference that Picken will miss at least 2 weeks.

That's disappointing, because he played a good role today. Could be a good opportunity for Addison to come in and have a crack at a defensive midfielder role.

Popcorn Chicken
I was just watching Rockets post media conference and Big Will came into the conversation, Rocket kind of indicated that Will maybe going to Willy this week.

I though Mino played well today i'd be very surprised if he was to be dropped

AndrewP6

Really? I only heard the radio broadcast, they seemed to think he did well today. What did Eade say?

Hotdog60
11-04-2010, 08:55 PM
It was in reference to Will giving away the 50 metre penalty. The video is on the AFL site.

Rocket wasn't to happy with Brian either.

AndrewP6
11-04-2010, 08:56 PM
It was in reference to Will giving away the 50 metre penalty. The video is on the AFL site.

Oh OK, I heard that on the radio... another brain fade!

LostDoggy
11-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Roughie is close to a game, but I wouldn't start him against Brisbane..see how Will goes next week and then maybe bring Rough in vs Adelaide

Rocco Jones
11-04-2010, 09:19 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing DFA as a defensive forward tag on Drummond.

AndrewP6
11-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing DFA as a defensive forward tag on Drummond.

Then he can be known by all as DFA... Defensive Forward Addison! :D

Hotdog60
11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Things might be interesting this week, could be up to 4 changes.

Aker
Picken
Hargrave?
Minson?

Emg: Dylan Addison, Jordan Roughead, Easton Wood

AndrewP6
11-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Boy was Rocket unhappy at the conference or what? I agree on the poor kicking/kicking it to opposition, but jeez he was a bit harsh I reckon. Although if Bryza didn't follow his instructions, that'll do it! I reckon he's stamped Will's papers for next week.

Rance Fan
11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
If Mitch Clark is out due to report, drop Minson and bring in Roughhead.
Ive heard Ward is still some time away.
Johnno and Eagleton back for Picken and Aker if theyre injured.

The Pie Man
11-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Is Johnson a chance to return?

In: Roughead, Johnson, Eagleton
Out: Minson, Akermanis, Picken

I imagine Callan/Addison maybe more likely inclusions for Picken, but they're the three I'd have in. If Shaggy doesn't come up, one of those two guys in.

G-Mo77
11-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I said to the guy next to me today after Will gave away that 50 that he might be due for a spell. I'm not surprised to see that Eade has given him another spray.

I've learnt to just live with the frees he gives away but the 50M penalties hurt far to much.

BulldogBelle
11-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Just looking at the replay and that 50 was very harsh - they usually give more warning but seem to be having one of their stupid 'crackdown' periods on the rule

Flamethrower
11-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Just looking at the replay and that 50 was very harsh - they usually give more warning but seem to be having one of their stupid 'crackdown' periods on the rule

Yet when Picken was having a shot, a Hawthorn player ran across the mark Big Willie Style and no 50m was given. It was the old "one rule for one, one for the other" today.

Bulldog4life
11-04-2010, 11:49 PM
If 1 of Aker, Shaggy and Picken are out= Eagleton in
2 out= and DFA
3 out= and Wood

Would (pardon the unintentional pun) look for a reason to play more runners. This is going to sound extremely blasphemous but I would strongly look at Johnno playing for Willy 2nds. The seniors are playing up in Gold Coast and we are obviously playing at the Gabba. A limited pre-season, only played 1 game and was off the training track for a week. I think a trip up North and then a 6 day break is going to do him more harm than good.

I see him playing at Willy 2nds as a training session.

It won't happen. I have heard Rocket more than once say the Johnno won't play in the VFL. The last time he said it was on either last Wednesday or Thursday.

Sockeye Salmon
12-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Yet when Picken was having a shot, a Hawthorn player ran across the mark Big Willie Style and no 50m was given. It was the old "one rule for one, one for the other" today.

Aker ran across the mark so his opponent is permitted to follow him.

The Adelaide Connection
12-04-2010, 01:27 AM

Agreed, it was very harsh. On the replay even the commentators mentioned that they thought he didn't do a lot wrong. You can hear the umpire say "you came two or three metres over the mark" and on the replay he hardly moves. He moves mainly a few steps left.

The Coon Dog
12-04-2010, 03:28 AM
Aker ran across the mark so his opponent is permitted to follow him.

He didn't, he ran around it, but shoved his opponent through it.

Ozza
12-04-2010, 10:24 AM
If Aker and Picken are out - I'd like to see Eagleton and Wood be the replacements.

Watching the Friday night telecast with Johnno in the commentary team - he indicated he would play in Round 5 vs Adelaide.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Picken -> Addison
Akermanis -> Johnson(if fit)/Grant/Stack (Only issue here being, is the replacement going to be able to run further up the field, or can we change the rotations elsewhere ie. Hill to a wing, Grant play deep?)
Hargrave -> Wood

Minson stays in for mine. He's improved with every performance and isn't far off getting back to his better form. If Eade is losing faith, fair enough - but I'm not convinced Roughead will offer us anymore, and would really like Roughead to have a solid few weeks or a month at VFL level, to get some continuity with his form.

Go_Dogs
12-04-2010, 10:29 AM
If Aker and Picken are out - I'd like to see Eagleton and Wood be the replacements.

With the flight to Brisbane and Eagleton's history with soft tissue injuries, I'd be pretty keen to see him not take the flight.

Cyberdoggie
12-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Picken -> Addison
Akermanis -> Johnson(if fit)/Grant/Stack (Only issue here being, is the replacement going to be able to run further up the field, or can we change the rotations elsewhere ie. Hill to a wing, Grant play deep?)
Hargrave -> Wood

Minson stays in for mine. He's improved with every performance and isn't far off getting back to his better form. If Eade is losing faith, fair enough - but I'm not convinced Roughead will offer us anymore, and would really like Roughead to have a solid few weeks or a month at VFL level, to get some continuity with his form.

Roughead will be ok if we played him next week. He definately needs to get fitter as he can't give 100% all the time, but he could fill Minson's role ok and also provide a part time forward option as well (definately better than Minson can).

Jordan is very similar to Mitch Clark but he's not ready to go head to head against him yet.

Cyberdoggie
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Eagleton will take Aker's spot no doubt.

If Picken or Hargrave miss Addison will come in.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Aker - Johno if fit otherwise Eagle
Picken - Ward if fit otherwise Wood

wb_age
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
He didn't, he ran around it, but shoved his opponent through it.
does anyone have any idea why a 50m penalty was paid against Barry Hall after he jumped into Hodge's back far to early? I've since watched the replay and still can't see why??

jazzadogs
12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
does anyone have any idea why a 50m penalty was paid against Barry Hall after he jumped into Hodge's back far to early? I've since watched the replay and still can't see why??
I'd say it was something to do with verbal abuse, but who knows.

Desipura
12-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Out: Aker, Picken

In: Eagleton and Johnno.
Agree, if Hargreave is out, Addison to come in.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Eade said Aker 2 weeks Picken up to 4 and Hargreave might be right to play

In Eagle Wood
Out Aker Picken

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have a ETA on Ward and his possible return? would have thought if fit he would be a great replacement for Acker or Picken

stefoid
12-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Aker has been going well, I dont understand the criticism.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 04:36 PM

Verbal, but it wasn't Barry i think.

Few early in the thread have said Grant in for Shaggy - ? Are we talking like-for-like positioning on the field? I know young players often learn the game down back when they're new to an AFL club but seriously... :D

Sockeye Salmon
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM

It was nothing to do with anything Hall did. I suspect someone else didn't return the ball properly.

The real disgrace has the free going against Hall when Gilham gave him a two-handed shove in the back just as Hall left the ground (which was the reason Hall was so far out in his timing to cannon into Hodge in the first place!)

OLD SCRAGGer
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
OUT: Aker, Picken & Maybe Shaggy

IN: Johnno (if fit) Eagleton & maybe Callen (if Shaggy not right):confused:

Sockeye Salmon
12-04-2010, 05:25 PM
OUT: Aker, Picken & Maybe Shaggy

IN: Johnno (if fit) Eagleton & maybe Callen (if Shaggy not right):confused:

Addison was much better than Callan on Saturday.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Aker is injured - that's why he may be out.

PS: I think Brodie Moles has played very well the past 2 games and should not be dropped. :)

BulldogBelle
12-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Possible injuries
1) Aker > Replace with hard running mid
2) Shaggy > Replace with a small defender
3) Picken > Replace with an outside tagger (as we would need someone to do a hard tag on potentially on Black or even Rich)

I would love Ward to come in, but I'm not sure if he is 100% right at this stage

Possible in's
1) Eagleton (if 100%)- if not available Wood
2) Addison
3) I havent followed Willy, but is Reid available? Ward?

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM

I agree, Addison is a class above VFL level and am sorry to say that if Tim Callan plays in our side we will not win a flag. I love his attack on the footy but his decision making and short kicking is borderline terrible even at VFL level where there is no where near as much pressure

soupman
12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Few early in the thread have said Grant in for Shaggy - ? Are we talking like-for-like positioning on the field? I know young players often learn the game down back when they're new to an AFL club but seriously... :D

That would have been me.

I figured with my other in being Eagleton for Akermanis, Grant takes the forward role Aker would, and our defence would managewithout a direct replacement. From what I've seen Brisbane often seem to play with just Brown and Fevola as the forwards, with the pockets and flanks pushing up into the midfield.

This, combined with the fact that none of our defenders played overly well on the weekend, suggests that we can probably get away with a backline of Lake, Morris, Williams, Harbrow, Gilbee and Everitt, and put Grant in who can be rewarded for a good match, and hopefully offer another option up forward for us. The same logic applies if Hargrave plays due to Picken being injured. Means a Gilbee or Everitt pushes up to the wing.

Callan should not be put in ahead of Addison or Wood. I see him as a very handy depth player but wouldn't bother selecting him when there's no real need.

The Coon Dog
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I agree, Addison is a class above VFL level and am sorry to say that if Tim Callan plays in our side we will not win a flag. I love his attack on the footy but his decision making and short kicking is borderline terrible even at VFL level where there is no where near as much pressure

It's just terrible, no borderline about it.

soupman
12-04-2010, 06:28 PM
It's just terrible, no borderline about it.

I agree with this. Tim Callan is the one player (excluding Hudson) who makes me cringe every time he goes to kick it (and this is over a time period of a few years).

For me has has too many holes in his game. This disposal issue is a key one, with the other major issue being his inability to keep his feet in marking contests. He gambles everything on making the spoil and if it isn't a big spoil he is left on his knees as his opponent gains an immediate 5 metre break on him and possession of the footy.

Addison also has disposal issues, but I think he makes far less errors by foot than Callan. Addison will mis-kick a couple, but the rest a of a good standard. Callan's tend to fall within the "in the vicinity of the player targeted without actually being to them" category more often than not.

I think Callan is deistined for a couple of games a year for however years he is left on the list before being de-listed as one of those "Too good for the VFL, not quite up to AFL" players. He can say hi to Wayde Skipper.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2010, 06:32 PM

I would only consider Tim Callan if we are both down on numbers and coming up against a team with a dangerous deep small forward. The Lions structure really doesn't suit playing Callan and as you mention, Addison is ahead of him anyway.

Unfortunately for Tim the modern game doesn't look kindly upoun rugged back pockets who can't kick and play anywhere else on the field.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2010, 06:34 PM
I agree with this. Tim Callan is the one player (excluding Hudson) who makes me cringe every time he goes to kick it (and this is over a time period of a few years).

Lake makes me do a bit more than cringe when he goes to kick it.

The Coon Dog
12-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Lake makes me do a bit more than cringe when he goes to kick it.

Particularly when he's had time to think about it!

chef
12-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Apparently Pickens out for 2 months and Aker for 2 weeks according to channel ten.

BulldogBelle
12-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Apparently Pickens out for 2 months and Aker for 2 weeks according to channel ten.

Was just coming here to say the same thing.

Picken. :(

Go_Dogs
12-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Apparently Pickens out for 2 months

Geez, poor guy - that's a pretty bad result.

Hopefully he can attack his rehab like he attacks opposition play-makers and get back as soon as possible.

Hotdog60
12-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Possible injuries

3) Picken > Replace with an outside tagger (as we would need someone to do a hard tag on potentially on Black or even Rich)

I don't think you need a hard tag on Rich, his form this year hasn't matched last year. From the games I've seen he looks to be hand balling rather than kicking, he also looks a bit slow.

He maybe going though a injury or 2nd year blues after doing so well last year, I think Moles might be a good match.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2010, 07:07 PM
With Picken out, does this mean Cross will have to assume role of the tagger?

Not a fan of Addison at all but he's a logical choice with Ward, Reid and now Picken missing.

Mantis
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
With Picken out, does this mean Cross will have to assume role of the tagger?

Picken has been tagging the 'outside' running players. Crossy would need a motorbike to keep up with this type of player.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Picken has been tagging the 'outside' running players. Crossy would need a motorbike to keep up with this type of player.

The role is adaptable though.

Cross tagged (or tried to) Hayes in last year's PF. Boyd's done jobs on Kerr in the past.

With no suitable 'outside tagger' available, I think Cross should be assigned to players like Mitchell, Bartel, Hayes etc.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Channel 7 said Picken out for 2 weeks. Seems more accurate.

chef
12-04-2010, 08:05 PM

Why?

The Bulldogs website says he's out for 6-8 weeks so I think Channel 10 are closer to the mark.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2010, 08:06 PM

It seems like you have accurate mixed up with desirable.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Cross tagged (or tried to) Hayes in last year's PF. Boyd's done jobs on Kerr in the past.

With no suitable 'outside tagger' available, I think Cross should be assigned to players like Mitchell, Bartel, Hayes etc.

Inside and outside tags are very different roles, if we aren't going with an inside tag already I don't think our outside tag being out should affect that at all.

I am not a big fan of inside tags, can be a massive sacrifice and if it has little affect you're on a hiding to nothing.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2010, 08:10 PM
It seems like you have accurate mixed up with desirable.

You could be right.:) I was saying more accurate considering what was said after the game but I've just read the bad news on the website.

Mantis
12-04-2010, 08:21 PM

As with RJ I see the role of the 'outside' tagger as an important role and a role that a Cross or Boyd couldn't or aren't suitable to attempt. A team like Brisbane probably don't have this type (perhaps Sherman), the week after Adelaide might be in the same boat, but when we play St.Kilda 'Joey' Montagna seems the perfect fit to the type of player that will draw a Picken tag.

Cross & Boyd will probably take Hayes and Dal Santo, but a few weeks out and with Picken an unlikely starter I can't find a player suitable to play on Montagna, can you?

Rocco Jones
12-04-2010, 08:25 PM
As with RJ I see the role of the 'outside' tagger as an important role and a role that a Cross or Boyd couldn't or aren't suitable to attempt. A team like Brisbane probably don't have this type (perhaps Sherman), the week after Adelaide might be in the same boat, but when we play St.Kilda 'Joey' Montagna seems the perfect fit to the type of player that will draw a Picken tag.

Cross & Boyd will probably take Hayes and Dal Santo, but a few weeks out and with Picken an unlikely starter I can't find a player suitable to play on Montagna, can you?

Yep. I think the outside tagger has a lot of the typical tagger attributes, ball becomes very much secondary. Inside taggers have more of a run with role than typical tagging. They need to be able to get their own ball/clearances or they can get into a lot of trouble, something that suits Boyd and Cross.

dog town
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Wont need to tag anyone this week. If Brisbane dont have the worst midfield in the game they are bloody not far off. Most of the run and carry, outside players Brisbane have come off half back rather than playing genuine midfield.

Hopefully Hargrave gets up as we looked a different side without him at times.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Wont need to tag anyone this week. If Brisbane dont have the worst midfield in the game they are bloody not far off. Most of the run and carry, outside players Brisbane have come off half back rather than playing genuine midfield.

Hopefully Hargrave gets up as we looked a different side without him at times.

Yep. The only Lion I would tag is Drummond.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Aker - Johno if fit otherwise Eagle
Picken - Ward if fit otherwise Wood

Hearing Ward is unavailable for a while it would be Wood or Addison

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Is moles quick enough for Hannah Montagna?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Inside and outside tags are very different roles, if we aren't going with an inside tag already I don't think our outside tag being out should affect that at all.

I am not a big fan of inside tags, can be a massive sacrifice and if it has little affect you're on a hiding to nothing.

I can see where you're coming from but if done right, inside tags are very effective.

Case in point is Ling's job on Mitchell last week. Sam is one of the best extractors in the game but was significantly quelled in the second half which is partly why Geelong got on top in the end. From memory he only had around 6 touches after half time.

I agree the role of Picken as an outside tagger is most important, but we haven't got a suitable replacement. No point playing an Addison/Callan on Montagna for the sake of the role. Our hand's forced for two months, I'd like to see us work on shutting down different types of players. At the very least it'll give us an indication of what we may be able to do later in the year.

Boyd is a clearance machine and usually has clean hands. Cross fumbles a lot and he's not great by foot or hand. His best asset is his endurance running and courage/overhead marking. Brisbane probably don't have an inside type worth tagging, although Black may be an option. Both aren't gifted with pace.

The Coon Dog
12-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Any love this week for Mantis' favourite bald man?

The Bulldogs Bite
12-04-2010, 08:58 PM

Without looking into any statistics, Eagleton seems to play fairly well against Brisbane. I think we could do with his run and disposal, but only if he's fit. Looked out of sorts in the NAB Cup and I didn't see him play last week.

chef
12-04-2010, 08:59 PM

Yes, he comes in IMO(and plays well against Brisbane usually too).

dog town
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Any love this week for Mantis' favourite bald man? I would be playing them. We will murder them around the packs if we are switched on and Eagleton will cash in.

bulldogsman
12-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Boyd is a clearance machine and usually has clean hands. Cross fumbles a lot and he's not great by foot or hand. His best asset is his endurance running and courage/overhead marking. Brisbane probably don't have an inside type worth tagging, although Black may be an option. Both aren't gifted with pace.

Cross always tags Black and I think this is where he made a name for himself (Rising Star nomination?). But i think he's injured this week.

Rocco Jones
12-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I would be playing them. We will murder them around the packs if we are switched on and Eagleton will cash in.

He owned them last year.

Mantis
12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I can see where you're coming from but if done right, inside tags are very effective.

Case in point is Ling's job on Mitchell last week. Sam is one of the best extractors in the game but was significantly quelled in the second half which is partly why Geelong got on top in the end. From memory he only had around 6 touches after half time.

But we don't have an inside type that seems willing to completely sacrifice their offensive game to play the 'Ling' role

I agree the role of Picken as an outside tagger is most important, but we haven't got a suitable replacement. No point playing an Addison/Callan on Montagna for the sake of the role. Our hand's forced for two months, I'd like to see us work on shutting down different types of players. At the very least it'll give us an indication of what we may be able to do later in the year.

Cross gave a half fit Black a bath in the SF last year and will probably get the job again.

Personally I believe our midfielders, as a group give their opponents way too much latitude. You could probably understand Griffen and Cooney playing this way as they have always been attacking mids and the players who draw a tag, but Boyd and Cross who had their start in run with roles really need to tighten up. Both have limitations in their games relating to the use of the ball and should be paying close attention to their opponents while still playing effective ball winning roles.

dog town
12-04-2010, 09:30 PM
He owned them last year. Yep. Brisbane struggle against good stoppage sides who can move the ball quickly away from traffic, we are certainly one of those sides. They simply havent been able to handle our spread from the contest in the past and thats where Eagle has got away from them. Black is brilliant but he is fairly flat footed at stoppages and the rest of them are either just average players or pretty slow. They have injected Brennan in at times now but I am not sure that worries me a great deal. With Black not playing I think we should hammer them again in these situations. Eagle might be a little under prepared but he will get an arm chair ride if we play the way we can. I watched Carlton beat them by 20 odd in clearances 2 weeks ago.

Sockeye Salmon
12-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Scott West got tagged every week for 10 years and it didn't make one bit of difference.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2010, 10:26 PM

Crossy has played on Black a number of times and has done well on him.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Don't think Black will be playing this week anyway.

LostDoggy
12-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Brisbane have a few players out suspended which helps.

alwaysadog
13-04-2010, 12:04 AM
It was nothing to do with anything Hall did. I suspect someone else didn't return the ball properly.

Gia gave the ball to the nearest Hawk not the one getting the free.

The real disgrace has the free going against Hall when Gilham gave him a two-handed shove in the back just as Hall left the ground (which was the reason Hall was so far out in his timing to cannon into Hodge in the first place!)

We had a bunch of umpires who weren't up to the task. They could only see the bleeding obvious that Hall appeared to go far too early. The more subtle stuff was beyond them, anyone with 1/2 a brain who has watched Hall knows his timing is spot on and is never so far off without cause. We got extra umpires to provide better cover for such incidents all we have done is multiply the problem.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Scott West got tagged every week for 10 years and it didn't make one bit of difference.

Ditto Ablett.

Doesn't mean you give up on tagging completely.

Dry Rot
13-04-2010, 02:04 AM
Injuries are a worry, and obviously we need to play well all over the park to win.

But pencil in a win this week and worry about next week.

If we have our shit together, it's a simple win.

From years of force fed watching Swans games up here I've learn't one thing.

Barry Hall likes playing the Lions, especially at the Gabba. Bookmark it.

becmatty
13-04-2010, 03:08 AM
In: Eagleton, Johnson
Out: Akermanis (Hamstring) Picken (Ankle)

Eagleton has had two solid hits at Willy and is simply ready.

Johnno will return, despite many calling for a week match practise in the VFL. I would select him and I'm certain the selectors will.

stefoid
13-04-2010, 08:14 AM

Shouldnt we be talking about Daniel Cross who plays for the bulldogs instead of whoever youre talking about?

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 09:15 AM
The Eagle in for Aker; and Addison in for Picken, Minson will get another go this week, he has been improving each week.

Desipura
13-04-2010, 10:01 AM
How slow did Xavier Ellis make Cross look on the weekend, and he aint no speedster!

Desipura
13-04-2010, 10:05 AM
He owned them last year.
No offence, but gee I hate that saying.

Studentlib
13-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Eagleton had 27 possessions and ran out game well on Saturday. Provided good run and finishing.

Mofra
13-04-2010, 11:19 AM
The Eagle in for Aker; and Addison in for Picken, Minson will get another go this week, he has been improving each week.
Agree with this. I was in favour of Johnno coming back last week, thinking it was an aberration. I'm not so sure now.

I prefer Addison in the middle than in defence, and if he's taking Picken's job he should do ok as he tends to play much better when all he has to do is concentrate on his opponent without worrying about defensive structures & rebounding.

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Ozzas mate Picken is out for 2 months... he will be missed

comrade
13-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I’m bored at work, thinking about team selection, Rocco's ruckman theory and Rocket's post-match presser bake.

Clark getting rubbed out means Leuenberger now has to shoulder most of the rucking workload next week, with Brennan most likely giving a chop out.

Could we give big Will a spell and not replace him with Roughead?

Play Andrejs as the back up ruckman (and run with Brennan when not in ruck) and bring in an extra runner to try and maximize our midfield advantage?

That would mean Addison to replace Picken and play as a defensive mid/back/forward, Wood to replace Minson and Eagleton to replace Akermanis.

If we wanted to load our forward line, we could include Grant in place of Wood or Eagleton, but I think adding extra running depth is probably more crucial against Brisbane.

That being said, we saw what happened against the Hawks. Renouf was good for 3 quarters but ran out of steam against our two headed ruck monster and our mids got an armchair ride which eventually broke the game open.

chef
13-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I’m bored at work, thinking about team selection, Rocco's ruckman theory and Rocket's post-match presser bake.

Clark getting rubbed out means Leuenberger now has to shoulder most of the rucking workload next week, with Brennan most likely giving a chop out.

Could we give big Will a spell and not replace him with Roughead?

Play Andrejs as the back up ruckman (and run with Brennan when not in ruck) and bring in an extra runner to try and maximize our midfield advantage?

That would mean Addison to replace Picken and play as a defensive mid/back/forward, Wood to replace Minson and Eagleton to replace Akermanis.

If we wanted to load our forward line, we could include Grant in place of Wood or Eagleton, but I think adding extra running depth is probably more crucial against Brisbane.

That being said, we saw what happened against the Hawks. Renouf was good for 3 quarters but ran out of steam against our two headed ruck monster and our mids got an armchair ride which eventually broke the game open.

I would rather play the two rucks and have this happen again. With Will and Hudson dominating the taps in the last quarter our mid field was unstoppable.

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 04:10 PM
No offence, but gee I hate that saying.

Agreed, and even worse is the 21st century version of that saying ie. 'he pwned them'. Oh for the day when English will no longer be desecrated daily by the mass media, an ADD-addled generation of youth, and B-grade celebrities masquerading as 'serious journalists'.

Sockeye Salmon
13-04-2010, 06:36 PM

What about Charman?

comrade
13-04-2010, 06:39 PM
What about Charman?

Injured.

FrediKanoute
13-04-2010, 08:23 PM

Agreed. I thought he was one of our better players on Sunday until his injury. I think a few guys who got ripped into weren't quite that bad. Minson for mine was pretty good. Yes he shanked a few shots at goal, but his close in work was pretty good. He's a lumbering guy and he gives away free kick's, but I thought the game against the Hawks was his best so far this season.

Aka, I thought he was really good. Was in amongst it early and really working hard in close. He just handles the ball so well. We will miss him this week.

Personally my in's and out's

Out: Aka; Picken; Hargrave (would rest regardless)
In: Johnno; Eagleton; Wood

I don't think one good game justifies Grant being selected. Its a positive sign, but I'd like tos ee him back it up. I didn't think Minno was that bad and that Roughead whilst good is still not ready.

I think Everitt can play Hargraves role (he basically did on Sunday anyway); with Johnno and Eagleton slotting into Aka's and Wood Picken's

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Shouldnt we be talking about Daniel Cross who plays for the bulldogs instead of whoever youre talking about?

Why do you think Cross regularly plays on the wing? He's not the cleanest by hand - our coach has said as much.

dog town
13-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Crossy fumbles occasionally below his knee's but I think he is still cleaner off the deck than most. His foot skills are often made out to be worse than they really are as well. He lacks penetration but his kicking efficiency is actually pretty good and has improved significantly. I think he is having a really good season so far. In the first half on sunday when we looked soft and cautious Cross was the man trying to inspire us with his bravery. I know that no poster is really questioning Cross I just thought I would take the opportunity to highlight that he is having a pretty good season.

LostDoggy
13-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Might not be the best game to play with the ruck line up, although I liked what Roughy brought to the NAB cup and his Willy form. Not convinced a swap of Grant for Shaggy would work either. The Eagle will most likely start though. Wood?

w3design
14-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Is there any confirmation that Hargrave will play or not?

I would think to err on the side of caution, being a neck injury, and bring in Wood for him.

Picken out, Addison in.

Eagleton for Aker.

If Johnson is fit and not going to be a liability, I'd almost drop Hill for him. Was dissapointed with Josh vs Hawks. A stint at Willi may give him a bit of a wake-up.

Leave the rucks as they are, Hudson is getting on, and should he need a break it might be a bit much to expect Roughie to be able to cover right away. Leave Will in.

Mantis
14-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Is there any confirmation that Hargrave will play or not?

I would think to err on the side of caution, being a neck injury, and bring in Wood for him.

Hargrave is fine.

w3design
14-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Hargrave is fine.

Good to hear.

My other ins and outs still stand, but leave Hargrave in.

The Coon Dog
14-04-2010, 09:53 PM
I'd almost drop Hill for him. Was dissapointed with Josh vs Hawks. A stint at Willi may give him a bit of a wake-up.

You would have thought being dropped for the finals would have done that.

w3design
14-04-2010, 09:58 PM

second time lucky? He'd get the picture sooner or later.

Seriously would want to see some marked improvement in his contesting in order for him to keep his spot in the long run.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2010, 11:40 PM

Hill is a frustrating player but perhaps we're going to have to settle for him being a burst type.

Often shows little for three quarters and then really steps up his game in the last. Obviously if he wants to become a regular senior player, he'll have to change that.

However - I really do wonder if it can be improved. He generally plays well against the middle of the range clubs, but has struggled against the top 4-5. It's a challenge for him but maybe playing him as an exclusive forward against these sides isn't the way to go.

FrediKanoute
15-04-2010, 12:39 AM
I really don't think Josh Hill played that bad againstt he Hawks' His first and last quarters were particularly good. He is laconic and wrongly criticised for this, but he plays taller than he looks and can be a handful for opposition teams, hence the reason he has been getting better defenders thisseason. Delivery into the forward line hurts Hill as much as it hurts Bazza and out delivery int eh 2nd and 3rd quarters was pretty poor.