PDA

View Full Version : Bazza to CHF, Johnno to FF

bornadog
19-04-2010, 05:07 PM
This is how I would set up. Barry was all on his lonesome last week at the Gabba, with the ball hardly near the forward line. So get Barry out of the FF area and play CHF and let Johhno pick up his old role at FF. He won't have the best backman on him as they will go to Hally.

What do you think?

chef
19-04-2010, 05:10 PM
This is how I would set up. Barry as all on his lonesome last week at the Gabba, with the ball hardly near the forward line. So get Barry out of the FF area and play CHF and let Johhno pick up his old role at FF. He won't have the best backman on him as they will go to Hally.

What do you think?

I don't think he has the motor for CHF anymore.

I would rather keep Hall deep and have Johnno presenting on a Flank.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I think we should play both Hall and Johnno deep like leading out of the squar with the 50 fairly open and the likes of Murphy, Gia, Higgins around the 50 arch.

bornadog
19-04-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't think he has the motor for CHF anymore.

I would rather keep Hall deep and have Johnno presenting on a Flank.

I don't agree as I think Johnno is better playing deep himself. I was thinking Hall to play further out but not necessarily like a true CHF, just up the ground a bit ie closer to 50 metre arc. This would help Murphy in his role as a HFFer.

Anyway, just a discussion as I doubt it would happen.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 05:34 PM
You take away Hall from FF then we are left with the same old scenario as seasons past, no marking option in the forward 50. We need to keep Bazza at full forward where he is most dangerous, we should be trying to build the forward line around him & not for him to be a Mr fix it.

Be creative & come up with other options, not move our primary target away from where he plays best.

BulldogBelle
19-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I hope Johnno takes back his 05, 06 and 07 role as a forward though and not so much up the ground. The brilliant forward instincts are well and truly still alive and kicking.

chef
19-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't agree as I think Johnno is better playing deep himself. I was thinking Hall to play further out but not necessarily like a true CHF, just up the ground a bit ie closer to 50 metre arc. This would help Murphy in his role as a HFFer.

Anyway, just a discussion as I doubt it would happen.

Only problem with this is when he marks in 60-70 meters out, who is he going to kick it too?

bornadog
19-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Only problem with this is when he marks in 60-70 meters out, who is he going to kick it too?

I am talking about staying around the 40 to 50 metre mark, instead of the 10 metre square. Let Murphy continue going up the ground a bit and Johnno playing his old role.

chef
19-04-2010, 06:55 PM
I am talking about staying around the 40 to 50 metre mark, instead of the 10 metre square. Let Murphy continue going up the ground a bit and Johnno playing his old role.

But playing out of the square isn't that where he ends up a lot of the time anyway?

BulldogBelle
19-04-2010, 07:18 PM
No tall timber deep in the 50 = the opposition marking the rushed inside 50 and running it out of defense, as we seen sooooo many times over the last 3 years. Bazza and Johnno can both play out of the goalsquare - Bazza as a lead up forward as he has been thus far, and Johnno can be the stay at home forward. Or even better, bring in Jones at CHF.

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 10:53 PM
No.

I dont think this is our issue.

Hall is best in the fwd 50 - he can barge and snap from anywhere inside there.

Maybe Johnno at his feet is the answer?

AndrewP6
19-04-2010, 11:04 PM
No.

Anybody at his feet... a number of times he's gone up,and only opposition players at the fall of the ball... :(

LostDoggy
19-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with this Andrew P6. We need a crumbing player in front of Hall and behind him too.

FrediKanoute
21-04-2010, 10:56 PM
This is where Stack not developing and Lynch not developing has hurt us. They shouldbe the smart crumbing forwards...but sadly one has been delisted and the other is heading that way!

Dry Rot
21-04-2010, 11:14 PM
No.

Kind of don't disagree, but IIRC when the wheels fall off us it's problems at the CHF line.

Maybe we need to use Hall more flexibly?

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Kind of don't disagree, but IIRC when the wheels fall off us it's problems at the CHF line.

Maybe we need to use Hall more flexibly?

It seems to me that when the wheels fall off us as in last week at the Gabba, it is the centreline that causes us to blame the forward line for not working. If our centreline is on top then we can play BBB deep, as he should be. The key to a functioning forward line for us is our centreline, and if the centreline puts in another inept performance like last week then it won't matter where any of our forwards play, they still won't get a kick.

I would like to see Hall stay at true FF and have Johnno HFF and come back and support Hall at the bottom of the pack in the marking contests when he can. Just my opinion.:)

bornadog
22-04-2010, 10:14 AM
It seems to me that when the wheels fall off us as in last week at the Gabba, it is the centreline that causes us to blame the forward line for not working. If our centreline is on top then we can play BBB deep, as he should be. The key to a functioning forward line for us is our centreline, and if the centreline puts in another inept performance like last week then it won't matter where any of our forwards play, they still won't get a kick.

I would like to see Hall stay at true FF and have Johnno HFF and come back and support Hall at the bottom of the pack in the marking contests when he can. Just my opinion.:)

In fact I agree with your post. I started this discussion as debate to see what people thought. However, in the future with the development of Grant and Jones, we may see a true CHF, FF situation.

BulldogBelle
22-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Anybody at his feet... a number of times he's gone up,and only opposition players at the fall of the ball... :(

Aker at his feet?

Still smart enough....but quick enough?

Mofra
22-04-2010, 10:23 AM
I'd agree if there was such a position as CHF in football these days.

When was the last time 6 forwards lined up neatly in two rows?
Named positions are rather irrelevant these days.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 10:28 AM
I'd agree if there was such a position as CHF in football these days.

When was the last time 6 forwards lined up neatly in two rows?
Named positions are rather irrelevant these days.

Who said anything about 6 forwards neatly in a row? I am really talking about two talls in the forward line ala Fev and Brown, which we have never really had.

Mofra
22-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Who said anything about 6 forwards neatly in a row? I am really talking about two talls in the forward line ala Fev and Brown, which we have never really had.
It was a demonstration of the redundancy of the terms CHF & FF - in any case, "2 talls in the forwardline" is completely different to having "Hall at CHF & Johnson at FF".

We have Hahn who plays tall with Hall already, and where ever Johnson plays in the forwardline I'm sure they will rotate positions and set-ups through as the game progresses. I dare say our F50 rotations will be fairly tall this week anyway.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 01:52 PM
However, in the future with the development of Grant and Jones, we may see a true CHF, FF situation.

It was a demonstration of the redundancy of the terms CHF & FF - in any case, "2 talls in the forwardline" is completely different to having "Hall at CHF & Johnson at FF".

We have Hahn who plays tall with Hall already, and where ever Johnson plays in the forwardline I'm sure they will rotate positions and set-ups through as the game progresses. I dare say our F50 rotations will be fairly tall this week anyway.

Hang on you have changed what I was talking about a couple of posts back, I was talking about the future.

Anyway, I do agree with your comments on my original post.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 10:08 PM
On paper... very damaging forward line but maybe short on defensive pressure.

Hill/Hahn Hall Johnson
Higgins/Gia Murphy Aker

We havent either had the opportunity or put it together with these guys yet this year, as stated previously by AP6 and others the guys havent supported Halls pack breaking at his feet, this needs to happen and was what excited me most about Hall coming in. Other players have skills here too, Picken is a nice goal sneak and Addison can snatch a cheeky one as a defensive forward.

The two other areas we have been struggling is..

1. Defensive pressure, the ball seems to be coming out too easily, not sure how to address this with our current aging forward line but if we cannot significantly improve this then we just need to make sure the ball comes in to the forward line more effectively which brings me to point ...

2. Our much vaunted run and carry/precision delivery has been failing, last week against Brisbane in particular coming out of the half back line. We are missing some of our run but not too much, I dont think it will take much to get this right again and will make a big difference.