PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview: Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows

Go_Dogs
21-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows

Round 5 at Etihad Stadium on Friday night. (Live on TV for us in South Austraila!)

Previous Match:
Adelaide Crows 12.14 (86) lost to Western Bulldogs 17.16 (118) Round 7 at AAMI Stadium.

Brownlow votes - 3. D.Cross, 2. N.Eagleton, 1. J.Hill.

What a great day that was, I scored tickets to the Crows Chairman's box, won their raffle and watched us win, comfortably in the end.

Interestingly, we have to go back in time to Round 1 2008 for the last time that we played the Crows at Etihad (or Telstra Dome as it was then known). That was a terrific contest, with Johnson sealing the win for the Bulldogs in the dying moments.

Preamble:
It's a massive game this week, for both sides. The Crows have been under fire for a few weeks now, with supporters tiring of Neil Craig's spin, and although they do have a significant injury list, the quality of player missing is not seen as an excuse by a number of supporters. They need a win, and will come out all guns blazing to get one.

The Bulldogs are also under pressure, as it's a must win game for the club. St Kilda next week is going to be a big ask, and whilst the Crows have been out of form, it's a great opportunity to really have a solid hit out and get some much needed percentage which will come in handy towards the close of the season.

Selection Table:

Bulldogs
The Bulldogs looks set to welcome back Brad Johnson for his second game of the year, and Jason Akermanis who missed against the Lions after having a fairly minor hamstring set-back. The Bulldogs will welcome back their leadership, and hope that both players will be fresh and able to provide some extra run and rotations.

Matthew Boyd is a big out for the Bulldogs this week, as he has been the hardest working and most consistent midfield player thus far. The Bulldogs are also light on for run, and Boyd out further weakens the sides run.

Will Minson, Brodie Moles, Josh Hill and Mitch Hahn are others who may come under pressure to retain their spots this week. Expect two of the smaller players to come out if both Johnson and Akermanis are cleared to play, with the likely players to miss out appearing to be Moles and Hill.

If Minson is not selected this week, Jordan Roughead will most likely be given his first H&A match. He has been in good form for Williamstown, although after matching up against a few bigger blokes on the weekend, he may have to continue to wait for his opportunity.

Grant and Jones may also be in the mix for the Bulldogs after solid form at VFL level over the past few weeks, with Grant seemingly the more likely of the two get be included, however we await the team selections on Thursday before knowing if we will make 2, 3 or 4 changes this week.

Crows
The Adelaide Crows will be hoping that Nathan Van Berlo and Scott Stevens have recovered, however there aren't many other options on the forefront for the Crows at present. Stevens will be a useful inclusion for them if he gets up, as he can play tall and small, and move forward or into the backline. Van Berlo would give them another running option through the midfield, although his level on conditioning may prevent him from having an immediate impact if he returns this week.

Nathan Bock looks set to miss at least another week, whilst Hentschel, Sellar and Sloane will all be out for at least another few weeks.

Will Young put in a reasonable performance for Norwood on Friday night, but is not likely to return at this stage. Henderson and Jaensch are both possibilities to debut too, with Jaensch already upgraded off the rookie list, and Henderson doing well at SANFL level.

Key Match Ups:

Ryan Griffen v Bernie Vince
This is one match up that I think both coaches would be happy with. Vince has had a quiet start to the year after having a breakout season in 2009, whilst Griffen has been on fire. Both players are capable of running and carrying the football, and this could prove to be a good head to head battle. Without our #1 tagger in Liam Picken, allowing Griff to go to Vince will allow Griffen a bit more freedom, whilst he also has the ability to play defensive, as his job on Rodan last year illustrated.

Daniel Cross v Scott Thompson
Two fairly similar players who both accumulate a lot of ball for their sides, and Thompson in-particular is good in the clearances. Thompson can drift forward and kick a few goals, so Crossy will need to pay him a bit of attention. Boyd was my initial match up for Thompson.

Adam Cooney v Brent Reilly
Reilly has been playing the tagging roles for the Crows so far this season, and looms as the likely match up for Cooney this week. Doughty will also rotate onto Cooney at some stage, and Cooney will need to work hard (and hope for good support from Griffen and Higgins) to have a big influence on this match.

Brian Lake v Kurt Tippett
Tippett has been horribly out of form for the Crows, whilst Brian has eased himself into the season nicely and is playing some great football at the moment. Lake can really act as a general down back, and should be able to run off Tippett and help us create.

Dale Morris v Chris Knights
Probably a little left field this match up, but if Knights spends time up the field we need someone to negate his influence. He's starting to get himself back to full fitness after an injury interrupted pre-season, and is very damaging with the ball and his run and carry. Would've been a good match up for Picken (again), but given the Crows forward line woes, I think Morris is the man for the job.

Barry Hall v Ben Rutten
These two have a bit of history, with Barry throwing a little punch at Rutten, a punch which nearly ended Hall's career. When we get the delivery right, Hall should be too quick on the lead for Rutten. If we bomb it in, Rutten will be able to use his strength to nullify Hall's influence.

Ryan Hargrave v Brett Burton
Morris is potentially another who could go to Burton, but I like Hargrave for this match up. Hargrave will be able to run off Burton and create, and will be able to match him in the air, and for pace. Hargrave will be looking for a big game after being pretty disappointing against Brisbane.

Plenty of other match ups will be interesting too, and it will be a good opportunity for our younger talls to have another go at Taylor Walker who kicked a small bag against us last year.

Addison could also be given a defensive forward role on one of McLeod or Johncock, which could prove very useful in preventing the Crows some creating run off half back.

Summary:
The Bulldogs should simply be too good for the Crows. The Crows are really struggling at the moment, their skill level is down, they are unsure about their game plan, and generally don't seem to have the intensity and thirst for the contested required to make up for the lack of talent in their cattle. Expect them to throw everything at is this weekend.

The Bulldogs will be fired up and looking for a big win, and with a few players coming back in, we should simply be too good, and have too much talent, for them.

Dogs by 27 points.

bornadog
21-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Great review G16.

The Adelaide forward line is under real pressure as is Tippett who hasn't done much this season so far. the Dogs have to be on their toes as Adelaide play Eithad very well, and they have never had such a bad start to the season.

The key for the dogs is to have a big first quarter and really dent Adelaide's confidence.

G-Mo77
21-04-2010, 03:28 PM
The key for the dogs is to have a big first quarter and really dent Adelaide's confidence.

That has been a problem all season and one which caused problems for us last season at times.

LostDoggy
21-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Exciting game round 1, 2008. More than 3 goals down in the last quarter, then snatched the lead with Johnno kicking 3 goals in the last 7 minutes. Bock missing after the siren gave us the win on Johnno's 300th game. Great day!! :D

The Bulldogs Bite
21-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Tippet has only booted something like two goals so far, hasn't he? Quite an incredible statistic given his obvious talents.

I'm still dumbfounded by the way they're playing. I hope we don't take them lightly, as they still have enough talent on the park to turn it around quickly.

If we pressure them early though, I think they'll crumble. That's the key. We need a good start - we've hardly had one so far this season.

LostDoggy
21-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Great review, I think we should win but you never know.

A lot of our players will have to step up, just because Adelaide is out of form doesnt mean they wont have a good game this week!

Go dogs!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Well Done Griffen#16, excellent write up.
I especially like your thinking behind the Hargrave v Burton matchup. Who does Morris take if this does occur?

From memory Thompson has racked up the possies against us in recent history, if Cross is unable to quell his influence, what are our other options, given our pauciy of stoppers at the moment.

G-Mo77
21-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I especially like your thinking behind the Hargrave v Burton matchup. Who does Morris take if this does occur?

Is the Porpoise back yet? If so you maybe Morris takes him.

Go_Dogs
21-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks all.

I think Chris Knights might be a good match up for him, but I'm not convinced that will happen. G-Mo's suggestion of him going to Porps sounds like a good (and more likely) match up for mine.

lemmon
21-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Good stuff Griffen#16
Important game for us, the four points are vital but I really think we need to win by a healthy margin to get back on track and send a message to the rest of the competition

LostDoggy
21-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the great preview! I'm interstate at the minute and haven't heard any AFL news, let alone Bulldlogs news (no internet until today either!). You mention Boyd is out - what's the story there? Sorry if it is already mentioned on another thread! I'm hoping the boys can take this game by the throat and rip it apart - we need a big win to help build the confidence for the following week's game! Bulldogs by 35 points!

Dry Rot
21-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Crows

Round 5 at Etihad Stadium on Friday night. (Live on TV for us in South Austraila!)

Previous Match:
Adelaide Crows 12.14 (86) lost to Western Bulldogs 17.16 (118) Round 7 at AAMI Stadium.

Brownlow votes - 3. D.Cross, 2. N.Eagleton, 1. J.Hill.

What a great day that was, I scored tickets to the Crows Chairman's box, won their raffle and watched us win, comfortably in the end.

Great review and isn't great as an interstate Dogs fan when we beat the local team on their own dung heap right in front of us?

Is Dangerfield playing?

Throughandthrough
22-04-2010, 12:52 AM
Is the Porpoise back yet? If so you maybe Morris takes him.

Yes, but has not kicked a goal in two matches!

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2010, 01:30 AM
David Mackay looks certain to miss and join Adelaides sizeable injury list. Apparently he has groin soreness. They really can't catch a break at the moment.

The Crows are currently paying $7 for the win :eek:

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 02:37 AM
Bulldogs by 45 points :)

Go_Dogs
22-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Great review and isn't great as an interstate Dogs fan when we beat the local team on their own dung heap right in front of us?

Is Dangerfield playing?

Yes, it's a very satisfying feeling. :D

Dangerfield will play, and will likely spend significant time up forward too as the Crows try to unearth some decent goal kicking options.

David Mackay looks certain to miss and join Adelaides sizeable injury list. Apparently he has groin soreness.

Massive out for the Crows. Has probably been the best run and carry midfielder for them so far this year, and was pretty good against Carlton.

Mantis
22-04-2010, 09:54 AM
Good work on the preview (not review as others have suggested) .

With Dangerfield playing forward who would be the player most likely to go to him?

I haven't seen Adelaide play this year ( I guess I haven't missed much) so their drop in form is a surprise. They are a club with a fair bit of pride so it wouldn't be an unrealistic call to suggest they will come out with a point to prove on Friday night. We can only hope that we will be jolted back to reality after last week and get back to playing the type of footy we can.

Big test for a few players who are a little down on form and with the likely inclusion of a couple of old pro's we should have a little too much class for the Crows.

ledge
22-04-2010, 10:35 AM
I heard on the radio the other day Tippet has tendonitis in the knees and its not a short term problem, this is why he isnt playing well, why they are still playing him I can only guess that its due to the size of the injury list.

The Pie Man
22-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Excellent preview Griffen#16

Should be a hot opening tomorrow, both clubs keen to atone for ordinary form. Not sure where Adelaide will get their goals from.

Has anyone else noticed the lack of media coverage for this game...and more to the point the Dogs, have recevied this week? Has Eade/random assistant done a conference yet this week?

It's been weird, I wonder if there's been a concerted effort to stay out of the media before this game...

Mofra
22-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I heard on the radio the other day Tippet has tendonitis in the knees and its not a short term problem, this is why he isnt playing well, why they are still playing him I can only guess that its due to the size of the injury list.
Tendonitis can be managed with injections if scans show there isn't too much "fraying", it will effect training and preparation for the game though.

I have tendonistis in one of my knees which forced me to give up running, and was told that surgery was too invasive for the type of injury (although I am a fair way off being a professional athlete). Knowing how annoying an injury it is I do feel for the big fella.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Taylor Walker has been confirmed to be Omitted this week due to poor form!

If i remember correctly he carved us up one game last year at AAMI?

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Great preview, but I'm not as confident as you on the Hargrave/Burton matchup. On the ground, I think you're right that Shaggy will be able to lead off Burton and give us some run, but I cringe when Ryan has to compete in the air. IMO he still grabs and claws at his opponent too much, and if the Umps catch it it could hurt us. Just my opinion of course.
Nonetheless, a great writeup Griff!

Throughandthrough
22-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Taylor Walker and one other dropped by the Crows.

BulldogBelle
22-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the great preview.

Yes we should win but we must come out to play this week!

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Taylor Walker and one other dropped by the Crows.

That is surprising.

He nearly got them back in it last week on his own