PDA

View Full Version : Boyd broken hand hypothetical

Dry Rot
21-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Yes, I'm an NRL convert, don't live in Melbourne and rarely see the Dogs live. My interest and support for the Dogs dates from 1998 so I can only talk from that time and viewing frame.

Since 1998, I have my own favourite Dogs games like any anyone else. One of those was the 2002 draw with the Dons.

On our side, Darcy played out of his skin, ditto Brown and McGuinness provided one of the best forward debuts (obviously a false dawn).

For the Dons, Lucas would play a great game, Hird would return with a broken face and Lloyd with a broken hand.

I loved Kretuik, and the poor bastard had to play on Lloyd in near career best form but coming back from that hand injury. Remember him punching Lloyd's hand?

I loved it at the time, but it got me thinking: when Boyd returns, what would we think about similar tactics against him?

GVGjr
21-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I talked about this very point with a colleague today. It would be interesting to hear how the same Bulldog supporters that cheered Kretiuk on with his approach to Lloyd would react to someone doing something similar to Boyd.

The Coon Dog
21-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Once Boyd crosses the line he's fit. If there's a concern about that sort of thing then don't play him. He's fair game in my view once he steps over the white line.

AndrewP6
21-04-2010, 11:58 PM
I'd probably scream "You dirty bastards!" and then think to myself, he's playing, so he's fair game. :) And then probably scream again!

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Once Boyd crosses the line he's fit. If there's a concern about that sort of thing then don't play him. He's fair game in my view once he steps over the white line.

This.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2010, 10:24 AM

My head says you are right, however if that were to happen, I still wouldn't like it much.

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 10:59 AM

What he said. Remember when Riewoldt did his shoulder, waved the trainer away then got crunched by a few Lions players? There was a big outcry about that, but I reckon it was fine. He waved the trainer away. That says to me "I'm fine and fair game". Same for Chad Cornes tapping Brown's knee. You're on the field, you're fit.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 12:25 PM
What he said. Remember when Riewoldt did his shoulder, waved the trainer away then got crunched by a few Lions players? There was a big outcry about that, but I reckon it was fine. He waved the trainer away. That says to me "I'm fine and fair game". Same for Chad Cornes tapping Brown's knee. You're on the field, you're fit.

To be fair to Riewoldt, he did his shoulder in a few minutes before the Brissie players decided to get into him, even though he waved players away, you can see he was in pain and they went for him again, thats dirty play.

In Boyd and Lloyd's cases, they are in the starting 22 so assume they are ok.

Sockeye Salmon
22-04-2010, 01:32 PM
I doubt Boyd would shed a tear about someone brushing his hand with the intesity used to shoo away a fly.

It was a non-issue in 2002, it would be a non-issue in 2010.

Mofra
22-04-2010, 02:52 PM
He may just go the opposite way - anyone remember the Freo backman (Shane Parker?) trying to go the "Kretiuk" on Gehrig's hand? Fraser just put it out there and basically said "keep whacking it" until it became farcical.

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 03:49 PM
To be fair to Riewoldt, he did his shoulder in a few minutes before the Brissie players decided to get into him, even though he waved players away, you can see he was in pain and they went for him again, thats dirty play.

In Boyd and Lloyd's cases, they are in the starting 22 so assume they are ok.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Taking the Riewoldt angle out, if any player is injured to the point that they shouldn't remain on the field and do, then they do so at their own peril. It's not like the Brisbane players hit him in the back of the head, which would be dirty play. They roughed him up, yes, but only after he chose to remain on the field. I would have no problem with any of our players following the same course of action.

Mofra
22-04-2010, 04:25 PM
They roughed him up, yes, but only after he chose to remain on the field. I would have no problem with any of our players following the same course of action.
After he waved the trainers away too and made position back in the forwardline. I would hope our guys display the same killer instinct.

KOTC
22-04-2010, 08:25 PM
He may just go the opposite way - anyone remember the Freo backman (Shane Parker?) trying to go the "Kretiuk" on Gehrig's hand? Fraser just put it out there and basically said "keep whacking it" until it became farcical.
As I was reading the thread I kept thinking about this one too. Was quite funny, especially because Parker was such a fine, upstanding citizen.

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 10:10 PM
At what point do you realise that hitting the hand of the guy with the crazy eyes who keeps encouraging you to do it may actually not be that good an idea?

Mofra
22-04-2010, 10:28 PM
At what point do you realise that hitting the hand of the guy with the crazy eyes who keeps encouraging you to do it may actually not be that good an idea?
6 or 7 tries on Gerhig apparently :eek:

Doc26
23-04-2010, 01:14 AM

I agree that Boydy is fair game but for me it is more in what is fair and representative of good sportsmanship with a determined attack to win the footy like Browndog does every week. Have never been comfortable with the outdated adage that once a player steps over the white line that he's open to a form of attack that he wouldn't reasonably expect otherwise in pursuit of the ball. Didn't appreciate Kreta's action back then nor when the Lion trio decided to launch into Riewoldt when he went down with his shoulder a number of years back. Just think it's a poor look and the game is a whole lot better than that.

LostDoggy
23-04-2010, 11:13 AM
When I saw the title of the thread I thought it was telling us that Boydy's injury was imaginary.

Twodogs
23-04-2010, 01:12 PM
No problem. Like others have said when he goes onto the field he's fit and anything goes.