PDA

View Full Version : Minson Needs to Lose Weight

bornadog
22-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Eade has lost patience with Minson and the Dogs coach intimated the 25-year-old may have to lose up to five kilograms he has gained since being poisoned by soy milk in February to be considered again for the seniors.

"He struggled last week and he's been up and down a fair bit," Eade said after training at Whitten Oval in hot conditions on Thursday morning.

"I think to be fair to him we've got to not underestimate his illness he had with the soy milk."

"He's put a bit more weight on than we expected and he's struggled to get that off, it's all muscle, but I think that's affecting his mobility at the same time so hopefully he can get some form (and) get back in because he's certainly in our best 22."

Article ("http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/star-dogs-set-to-return-89873)

Desipura
22-04-2010, 02:44 PM
I posted earlier this week that it looked like the game was getting faster. It seems due to his increase in weight, he has just got slower.
At least he now can go back to Willi and work on improving his aerobic capacity

Rance Fan
22-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Maybe he can work on his marking, kicking and decision making also!

divvydan
22-04-2010, 03:02 PM
At Willy he'll be playing as pretty much the sole ruckman if Roughead last week is any indication. Having to do all that work will certainly help him shed some weight and improve his fitness. Doing 80%+ of the ruckwork also helps him get back in form quicker than spending only 40-50% of gametime in the ruck like he's currently doing.

Axe Man
22-04-2010, 03:42 PM
I hope that Eade has handled Will's form slump the right way because publically at least it has seemed pretty harsh. For a bloke who isn't even in our best dozen players the scruitiny and media attention has been more akin to big name player.

Hopefully he can regain some fitness and form quickly and get back because it may be a big ask for Roughead to play for an extended period.

Desipura
22-04-2010, 03:43 PM

At 25, he might have a challenge on his hands

Mantis
22-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Awesome comment. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you waste valuable bandwith with this sort of crap.

ledge
22-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Being overweight is the reason he gave away 50 mtre penalties and kicked the ball out on the full?
To me he was just making silly decisions, if thats to do with overweight no wonder Christine Nixon is in trouble!

bornadog
22-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Being overweight is the reason he gave away 50 mtre penalties and kicked the ball out on the full?
To me he was just making silly decisions, if thats to do with overweight no wonder Christine Nixon is in trouble!

I wish people will stop focusing on a couple of errors.

His main problem is he didn't have a good preseason and therefore has had a slow start to the season. I thought he did well in the second half against the Hawks as well as played ok against Richmond. He just hasn't put four quarters together. He may have made a couple of errors, but god, the number of turnovers last week by players such as Boyd, Griffen, Gilbee was woeful compared to the out on the full and the 50 metre penalty.

Mofra
22-04-2010, 04:23 PM
I wish people will stop focusing on a couple of errors.
I agree - it's worth noting that in my experience, decision making abilities are reduced when you are highly fatigued. With no pre-season & a rush to add weight, I can only assume Will has been feeling the pinch a bit more late in games.

Desipura
22-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Awesome comment. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you waste valuable bandwith with this sort of crap.
Interesting how some posters only react to certain negative posts yet nothing is said when one poster calls Josh Hill a waste of space.

ledge
22-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Actually i thought Will was having his best season ever as far as getting the ball and being in amongst the play, its only his disposal that is letting him down and his silly 50mtre penalties(and he has had more than one)
So in writing my last post I was pointing to the only thing I thought was letting him down and to be saying its an overweight problem isnt all true.

Yes you can be buggered but some of his bad disposal has been when he has had a mark or free kick and allowed 30 seconds or so to get organised thinking wise.

Eade must be at wits end sometimes with Minnow and Lake in the same side and their brainfades :)

Mantis
22-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Interesting how some posters only react to certain negative posts yet nothing is said when one poster calls Josh Hill a waste of space.

I didn't see the Hill comment, I saw this one and I didn't like it.

Rance Fan
22-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh so his kicking, marking and decision making been spot on?... it needs some work! At vfl level the games not as fast or furious as the afl. So a good opportunity to get some form, fitness and confidence!
Dont see how thats crap!!! pfft

Mofra
22-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes you can be buggered but some of his bad disposal has been when he has had a mark or free kick and allowed 30 seconds or so to get organised thinking wise.
That in itself is a problem when the team needs to play on quickly; it allows the opposition to zone up. We moved the ball slowly in H2 against Brisbane and they destroyed us.

stefoid
22-04-2010, 05:53 PM

harsh considering he doesnt actually take up that much space.

bornadog
22-04-2010, 06:10 PM
harsh considering he doesnt actually take up that much space.

Half as much as Will:D

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Oh so his kicking, marking and decision making been spot on?... it needs some work! At vfl level the games not as fast or furious as the afl. So a good opportunity to get some form, fitness and confidence!
Dont see how thats crap!!! pfft

Well said IMO - He has made mistakes (skill and stupidity) at critical stages which change the momentum of the game!!! At times I wonder why our players pass it to him... it is clear that the opposition don't man him up cause they know he will probably turn it over..

Bumper Bulldogs
22-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Doing 80%+ of the ruckwork also helps him get back in form quicker than spending only 40-50% of gametime in the ruck like he's currently doing.

I think thats the biggest benefit here.

KOTC
22-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Will seems like the sort of player that would go down and dominate at VFL level, so I can see it having the desired effect quickly. On the same hand, this will be a great experience for Roughy.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Minson27 isnt going to like going to the game tomorrow night and not see her fav boys out there(they wear #27 and #20)....

But Minson27 realises its better for the team, and better for the two guys if they go back to Williamstow, get some form, and some confidence, and come back and have a bigger impact on the games...

Minson27 will also be going to Williamstown on Saturday and will enjoy that game....

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe Minson27 needs to adopt number 22 as a fave also? Then she can still go to the game.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Minson27 will be wearing the #40....new it would come in handy for someone else....

EasternWest
22-04-2010, 10:33 PM
A good choice. If you decide you're not happy with that or get tired of it, I can send you a pair of 2's to cover it with.

LostDoggy
22-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Haha done deal dfa4pm.................

The Adelaide Connection
22-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Firstly I think it is a good call to send him back to Willi for a few weeks as he is certainly lacking confidence, his disposal has been very poor, he has done a few really silly things and as mentioned he should pull a lot more game time down there.

But in his defence, have you noticed:
-How often do you see Hudson get the ball without a runner going past him? Why is this not the same for Will who seems to have to kick or try to play on?

-At times coming out of the backline we give the ball to Will when he is under pressure. We know his disposal is down, why the hell would we do that? They often avoid Williams in pressure situations, the same should go for Will when we know he is underdone.

-A lot of the issues he is having probably can be attributed to minimal preseason and not being 100% ie Disposal and being increasingly fatigued (dropping marks and other skill and decision making errors). How many times do you hear a player say how much more confident they are when they get their body right?

I think there is definitely a place for Will in our best 22 when he is up and going. He just isn't at the moment. Hopefully he can be before too long, but what an excellent opportunity to get some games into Roughead in the meantime.

Rocco Jones
22-04-2010, 10:51 PM
But in his defence, have you noticed:
-How often do you see Hudson get the ball without a runner going past him? Why is this not the same for Will who seems to have to kick or try to play on?

I really think Minson is hurt by playing alongside Hudson, they are just so limited. Hudson ends up getting the number 1 ruck spot because he is better at it than Will and Will is slightly less of a liability forward. I see Jamar doing well at the Dees as a sole ruck and I really believe Will would suit having a more structured/simpler role as a pure ruck. He is much better in the ruck than forward and I think he would really benefit from the consistency.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2010, 12:47 AM
-At times coming out of the backline we give the ball to Will when he is under pressure. We know his disposal is down, why the hell would we do that? They often avoid Williams in pressure situations, the same should go for Will when we know he is underdone.

Because Minson works harder than Hudson to be an option?

KT31
23-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Because Minson works harder than Hudson to be an option?

Did your Pup make you post this ?:D

Bumper Bulldogs
25-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I really think Minson is hurt by playing alongside Hudson, they are just so limited. Hudson ends up getting the number 1 ruck spot because he is better at it than Will and Will is slightly less of a liability forward. I see Jamar doing well at the Dees as a sole ruck and I really believe Will would suit having a more structured/simpler role as a pure ruck. He is much better in the ruck than forward and I think he would really benefit from the consistency.

Yes I would agree I think that a few years ago when Darcy went down Street and Minson did a fantastic job being one was very young and one couldn't reach below his knees.

Do we have any reports from Big wills game down at Willi

Dogz-21
25-04-2010, 04:59 PM
He was named in the bests

AndrewP6
25-04-2010, 05:30 PM
He was named in the bests

Really? That's far from other reports I've heard.

comrade
25-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Really? That's far from other reports I've heard.

The Seagulls didn't play well so there wasn't a stack of competition, but he was in the best handful.