PDA

View Full Version : Spoilers, Guns and Money - R5

GVGjr
23-04-2010, 06:37 PM
For the guys and girls not going to the game you can posts your thoughts as they appear on the TV. For the balance of us we can do this after the game.

Spoilers = A (One) player that did not quite measure up to expectations and the reasons why?
Guns = 3 players that stood out on the night and the reasons why?
Money = Someone who's skills stood out in the game? This can be one particular passage of play.

Hotdog60
23-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Spoilers =
I give the first one to Lake for a lazy kick out of defense which resulted in a goal.

Guns =

1: Griffen, hit the packs running and apart from one errant long kick played very well.
2: Roughead, for his first game play well and I think big Will may have a longer wait.
3: Johnno, ran hard all night and apart from some rustiness did well.

Money =

Aker, took a lovely screamer.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:06 AM
Spoiler - Gilbee's Out on the full

Gun - Barry Hall while not his best game very still very good

Money - Griffen- great game, great footskills, GUN

EasternWest
24-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Spoiler - A general one. A lot of our disposal (both hand and foot) is missing targets, or making the recipient work too hard. We were fortunate tonight that our intensity was good to cover the errors, but it's a worry.

Guns - Gia obviously had the acid put on him during the week and he was exceptional.
- Johnson. Moved like he'd had a full pre-season and ran and ran and ran. Led the team.

Money - Griffen. Doglee is right, a near perfect game. How is it possible to kick so far and hard and keep the ball 6 feet off the ground? A freak when he's on.

GVGjr
24-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Spoiler
A dropped mark by Robert Murphy at the end of the 2nd quarter. Needs to lift his intensity

Guns
Griffen's run and skills.
Giansiracusa's sensational first half where he was generally a one touch player.
Johnsons return was full of effort and I liked the way he kept looking for his team mates.

Money
A couple of passages of play from Akermanis where he got the ball out to his team mates.

Ozza
24-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Spoiler - ummmm.....Bob Murphy's first half...but he was very good after that and his touch came back.

Gun: Gia. For those constantly riding him and potting his leadership - he took the reins in the midfield in Boyd's absence and got us going when the game was hot early. Tremendous performance.

Money: Big mark from Roughy and the dish to Griffen who smashed it through 3/4 post high from 52 metres. Brilliant.

westdog54
24-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Spoiler: Murphy. I haven't seen him have a rough trot like this for a while. Seemed a shadow of himself tonight. Hands were sloppy, got little of the ball when compared to his usual standard. He's been disappointing the last couple of weeks.

Guns: Griffen. His run and carry, and his kicking and decision making, were exemplary tonight.
Gia: Played like a man possessed in the first half and carried on the good work
Everitt: Easily our most improved player. Ran hard and pressured all night, didn't shirk contests and used the ball well when he had it.

Money: Aker's hanger. Just a beautiful clean jump.

Sedat
24-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Spoiler - Moles for being a late inclusion after I traded him out of my dream team and then scored 100+ points :o. Jokes aside, Eagle went with one tentative hand at a handball receive slightly above his head in the 2nd qtr that resulted in a turnover and a shot on goal for the Crows. His gut running was important in the 2nd half but that one-handed effort was poor.

Gun - Griffen's utterly dominant display. He was at a level well above the rest of the players on the park. Did everything; attacked with run and carry and precision by foot, and also made some strong defensive contributions with chase-downs and spoils out of position. BOG by a mile.

Money - Hall's contested possession in heavy traffic late in the 2nd qtr and snap goal in one movement. Really important goal against the run of play that took the wind out of Adelaide's sails. A small forward would have been proud of that crumbing goal and class finish.

GVGjr
24-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Spoiler - ummmm.....Bob Murphy's first half...but he was very good after that and his touch came back.

Spoiler: Murphy. I haven't seen him have a rough trot like this for a while. Seemed a shadow of himself tonight. Hands were sloppy, got little of the ball when compared to his usual standard. He's been disappointing the last couple of weeks.

A common theme. He lacks intensity and in my opinion needs a move to the half back line.

Sedat
24-04-2010, 12:43 AM
A common theme. He lacks intensity and in my opinion needs a move to the half back line.

I actually thought he worked his arse off in the 2nd half to break free from what was an extremely negative role by Doughty. His hands were definitely amiss but I thought his workrate was strong, particularly as the match wore on.

GVGjr
24-04-2010, 12:48 AM
I actually thought he worked his arse off in the 2nd half to break free from what was an extremely negative role by Doughty. His hands were definitely amiss but I thought his workrate was strong, particularly as the match wore on.

He works hard to get to a contest but fumbles the ball primarily because of a lack of concentration. That dropped sitter of his late in the 2nd quarter wrecked his hard work to get to the right position.

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Spoiler... Brian Lake on Tippett

Guns
Roughy, Will your in trouble
Gia, One of his best games ever, a different role for him, was hard at it. Silenced some of his knockers(me at times).
Aker and Johno coming back with intent.
Griffen best game in a while.

Money
Grants crumbing goal, oozed class (apologies Aker and the porpoise for those grabs, but Aker got a mention in guns)

Mantis
24-04-2010, 12:54 AM
He works hard to get to a contest but fumbles the ball primarily because of a lack of concentration. That dropped sitter of his late in the 2nd quarter wrecked his hard work to get to the right position.

I would much prefer him to work his butt off to make position and then bugger up, rather than to take the easy way out.

His touch will return, but the workrate he shows is a non-negiotable.

GVGjr
24-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I would much prefer him to work his butt off to make position and then bugger up, rather than to take the easy way out.

His touch will return, but the workrate he shows is a non-negiotable.

He's exactly displaying what the spoiler part of this thread refers to.
He is undoing good work with poor concentration. I'm not questioning his work ethic but his kicking isn't as sharp as it should be and he is fumbling the ball way too much.

G-Mo77
24-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I'll save my spoiler because there is a bit of a rant involved.

Guns

Griffen.
Wow, hasn't Griff had a great start to the season. His ability to run and carry the ball is a joy to watch. His kicking has been pretty much spot on all season which is what I found a real weakness in his game.

Gia.
Absolutely fantastic tonight. That is the Gia we want to see every week.

Moles.
Love the way he goes about it. He's very well balanced, rarely do you see him lose his feet. Did a lot that probably went unnoticed that resulted in goals.

Money

Akers mark. Porpise's was a free kick against Aker showed him how it was supose to be done.

Spoiler
I'm not going to give this to a player but a Bulldogs fan that sat behind me. Just gave it to Gia for most of the first quarter, I'd had enough when I heard him called a ******* and had a go, Gia then backed me up and kicked a nice goal shortly after. I did hear him say something like "I love you Gia" after he made a blue but I tried my best to ignore. I just can't understand the mentality of these supporters, they genuinely don't want a certain player to succeed. Why can't they give credit were it is due? Is it that hard? Sadly I'll have to put up with this person every week. :(

AndrewP6
24-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Spoiler... Murph's rough trot continues :( . He improved as the game went on, but the fumbles were ordinary. Lucky his last name isn't Eagleton, or he'd be GORRRN! ;)

Guns - Aker's big grab - the old legs still have some spring in them!
Griff- taking the game on, and some tremendous long kicking.
Bazza! - Even with a couple of misses, if he gets a sniff in the forward 50, more often than not, good things are gonna happen. He's equal top of the Coleman too, apparently.

Money - Roughy's grab (in the 3rd I think - nice leap, always seemed to back himself. Shame about the kick that followed.

azabob
24-04-2010, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=GVGjr;148223]Spoiler
A dropped mark by Robert Murphy at the end of the 2nd quarter. Needs to lift his intensity

He dropped at least two chest marks on the wing on the city side in the second quarter.

azabob
24-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Spoilers

Murphy's dropped chest marks. At least twice in the second quarter.

Guns

Hall for his pressure all over the ground and ruck work in the first quarter

Eagleton for his gut running all night. Thought he and Hall were our best 2 in the first quarter

Griffen, no more needs to be said.

Money

I quite liked Grant second goal. Great pick up and quick enough to get ball to foot and kick the goal

boydogs
24-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Spoiler - Robert Murphy - can't blame the humidity this week

Guns - Daniel Giansiracusa - let's just say if it was a role change that lead to his performance, make it permanent!
Ryan Griffen - we are going to have to stop using the word potential with him soon
Barry Hall - goalkicking machine :D

Money - contested marks in the forward line from our resting ruckman :p

LostDoggy
24-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Spoiler - Lake, again for missing a target inside the back 50. In general play, we will struggle against top sides unless we can stop gifting possession to the opposition
As an aside on Robert Murphy - the first chest mark he dropped - did he lose it in the lights? It looked to me as if he had trouble seeing it.
Guns - Moles' intensity and run through the middle
Griffen - for reading the ball off the pack so well, and for playing behind the ball at times so that he is able to use his running, kicking skills more
Gia - for leading by example and showing he can play in the midfield
Money - Barry Hall breaking free.

Ozza
25-04-2010, 11:29 AM

I don't really agree its a lack of intensity - I think he's just had the fumbles a bit. He works as hard as anyone to burn his opponent and keeps giving the midfielders an option. Bob will be fine - his secoind half was good - and he was probably our best player for the first 3 rounds. Incredibly important at half forward.

Ozza
25-04-2010, 11:31 AM

That one was right in front of me (sat in a different spot this week - dead on the wing) and he was running at absolutely top pace when he dropped it - of course we expect Bob to still take those - but Aker's kick was terrible and Bob had to do all the work.

GVGjr
25-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't really agree its a lack of intensity - I think he's just had the fumbles a bit. He works as hard as anyone to burn his opponent and keeps giving the midfielders an option. Bob will be fine - his secoind half was good - and he was probably our best player for the first 3 rounds. Incredibly important at half forward.

That one was right in front of me (sat in a different spot this week - dead on the wing) and he was running at absolutely top pace when he dropped it - of course we expect Bob to still take those - but Aker's kick was terrible and Bob had to do all the work.

I had a look at the replay of that and he seemed to be thinking ahead of what he was going to do with the ball before he actually owned it. It was a very gettable mark and whilst my use of the term lack of intensity seems to off putting to some perhaps it might be better described as a lack of concentration which hopefully explains the number of basic errors that have slipped into his game.

I'm not questioning his work ethic to get to a contest because he is a hard worker but when he is there he is nowhere near as clean with his skills as he should be.

bornadog
25-04-2010, 12:42 PM

I tend to agree and said as much to my mate on Friday. He did improve in the 2nd half, but he is really down on confidence at the moment and maybe a stint in the backline will help him.

LostDoggy
25-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Spoiler: Murphy, didn't have his best game.
Guns: Griffen, Gia & Hall
Money: Griffen with a give and go at half forward during the last quarter (i think), got the ball out & gave it to Cooney. Ran into space and received the ball back, kicked it to the hot spot & Higgins marked.

Scorlibo
25-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Spoilers: Lake's turnover coming out of the defensive fifty. Gilbee's OOTF. Rougheads miss from straight in front. Grant's dropped mark inside fifty after he made excellent position. Murphy's many dropped marks and I agree he needs to be moved to to the half back
line for some period just to find some touch.

Guns: Griffen looks to have taken the next step and will be AA if he continues this form. Wonderul performance.

Money: Sorry to double up but Griffen's centre from the wong to the fifty was amazing, was running at full speed and still manages to hit up a target 40m away and at right angles to him.

westdog54
25-04-2010, 06:33 PM

A few years ago we had a draw against StKilda, and Murphy was given the job on Milne. Took him completely out of the game and provided great run out from half back. Not the worst idea of all time.

GVGjr
25-04-2010, 07:47 PM
A few years ago we had a draw against StKilda, and Murphy was given the job on Milne. Took him completely out of the game and provided great run out from half back. Not the worst idea of all time.

The reality is that he can perform a number of jobs for the side at a very high level but at the moment he is making the easy look difficult. I appreciate that he is often asked to perform the CHF role which he just isn't physically the ideal build for but dropping so many chest marks is well out of character for him.

Topdog
26-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Spoiler: Rodney Eade. My friend came down from Adelaide and we were fortunate to get medallion seats right underneath Rocket. He proceeded to scare the shit out of my friend by constantly smashing the phone against the window when we were up by 40 points already. :)

Guns: Griffen. Awesome performance.
Gia - Showed how damaging he can be when played in the middle.
Aker - great game all round.

Money: Grant - loved that quick pick up and goal.

EasternWest
26-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Spoilers: Lake's turnover coming out of the defensive fifty. Gilbee's OOTF. Rougheads miss from straight in front. Grant's dropped mark inside fifty after he made excellent position. Murphy's many dropped marks and I agree he needs to be moved to to the half back
line for some period just to find some touch.

Guns: Griffen looks to have taken the next step and will be AA if he continues this form. Wonderul performance.

Money: Sorry to double up but Griffen's centre from the wong to the fifty was amazing, was running at full speed and still manages to hit up a target 40m away and at right angles to him.

Isn't that a bit racist?:D

I remember that kick. Wonderful. Griff was sublime in this game.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2010, 07:35 PM

I know he often cops a bit for his around the corner, and off the side of the boot numbers that he tries sometimes, but they are the sort of kicks that can really open a game up as he can get the ball to a spot where it might not have been possible with a more orthodox kick.

His kicking has been a real feature of his game so far this year, which is very pleasing.

AndrewP6
26-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Can I revise/add to my guns....Hall pinching the ball in the 3rd quarter (about half way through), scaring a couple of Crows, using his body strength to bump Rutten, and dishing the handball off to Hahn. This lead to Roughy's first goal in the AFL. Great stuff to watch.

Happy Days
26-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Not having a go, but who would you play at CHF instead?

He's had a couple of off weeks, but you only need to look back to the Collingwood game to see how effective he can be in that role.

EasternWest
26-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I know he often cops a bit for his around the corner, and off the side of the boot numbers that he tries sometimes, but they are the sort of kicks that can really open a game up as he can get the ball to a spot where it might not have been possible with a more orthodox kick.

His kicking has been a real feature of his game so far this year, which is very pleasing.

I'd much prefer he does those kicks than he ever kicks with his left. It really needs work.

Go_Dogs
26-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I'd much prefer he does those kicks than he ever kicks with his left. It really needs work.

I think that's part fallacy. He doesn't use it a bunch, and whilst it might not be a strength I generally think it's underrated.

EasternWest
26-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I think that's part fallacy. He doesn't use it a bunch, and whilst it might not be a strength I generally think it's underrated.

Then you and I must be watching different players. I'm not trying to shoot you down because looking at your username you probbaly watch Griff closer than me (and staunchly defend him, as I do DFA), but I remember he once snapped a goal on his left foot, and that was the only effective left foot kick I ever saw him do. Doesn't mean he hasn't done more, I just can't recall them. It needs a LOT of work, IMO.

EasternWest
08-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Then you and I must be watching different players. I'm not trying to shoot you down because looking at your username you probbaly watch Griff closer than me (and staunchly defend him, as I do DFA), but I remember he once snapped a goal on his left foot, and that was the only effective left foot kick I ever saw him do. Doesn't mean he hasn't done more, I just can't recall them. It needs a LOT of work, IMO.

I take it back, I take it all back! He's the surest left footer I've seen!!!!:D