PDA

View Full Version : The Backline Is it Shaky at the moment

bornadog
28-04-2010, 10:48 AM
In 2009 our backline really came of age with Lake taking command, Morris and Shaggy in top form, Gilbee running bouncing and kicking accurately and young Harbrow a revelation.

In 2010 to date, I feel our backline is really shaky and hasn't really reached the heights of 2009. Lake has played well the last two weeks, and I noticed every time he left the ground against Adelaide, they seemed to get a run on and kick goals.

Morris hasn't hit his straps yet although he is starting to, Gilbee's kicking hasn't been as accurate as has been in the past, and he has not run down the ground and kicked any goals yet. He did pick up 26 disposals last week, but it didn't feel like he was very damaging. Shaggy has not had any influence at all, and the two games he has played, he was beaten. Williams is still learning and Bulldog fans shut their eyes when he gets the ball as they are not sure he is going to fluff it. Harbrow has continued on from 2009, but still gets beaten in the air when he is one on one.

We need the whole backline to gel together like 2009 and take command and be more attacking, especially this week.

Go_Dogs
28-04-2010, 11:06 AM
In 2009 our backline really came of age with Lake taking command, Morris and Shaggy in top form, Gilbee running bouncing and kicking accurately and young Harbrow a revelation.

In 2010 to date, I feel our backline is really shaky and hasn't really reached the heights of 2009.

Whilst our backline has improved over the past couple of seasons, we still leak a lot of easy goals, which is a real weakness. Last year we had conceded a large number of goals (significantly more than our other Top 4 competitors) and I don't think it's something that will change too drastically given the attacking game style we like to play.

Mofra
28-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I thought our backline was supurb against the Lions - 79 inside 50s is a heck of a job to defend against. The F50 pressure has been quite good this year too, esspecially with Grant & Hall chasing everything down they can last week.

Our midfield has lost concentration at times which has reduced pressure on the opposition ball carrier, especially in transition - for mine that is the worrying sign we need to address.

Sockeye Salmon
28-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm with Mofra. I thought our backline has been very good so far, our problems have been getting outrun through the midfield.

Hargrave is probably the only defender who has been down a bit.

Mantis
28-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm with Mofra. I thought our backline has been very good so far, our problems have been getting outrun through the midfield.

Hargrave is probably the only defender who has been down a bit.

While Lake has been good defensively his offensive work has been poor which has increased the pressure on the back 6.

Agree with others that other half forwards & mids need to tighten up.

Cyberdoggie
28-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Midfield run has been down with Griffen a noteably exception.

Perhaps the problem is that we have brought in an extra tall to our mix in Everitt/Williams.
Hall has taken Welsh's spot so we are a little heavier than last year.

The big differences for me have been Hahn, Murphy, Hargrave and Gia.
*Hahn looks lost now that Hall is there. Perhaps the bump Hall gave him has set his confidence back a tad.

*Murphy is jumping at every marking contest (even the chest marks) and has got the fumbles or is getting taken to ground because his feet are off it.

*Hargrave started bad and then got concussed, has been beaten in contests and provided very little run. Wasn't he the highest kick getter at the dogs last year?

*Gia like Hahn has found life in the forward area a lot quieter with Hall around. The switch to Boyd's spot in the midfield last week seemed to rejuvinate him and he should stay there in my opinion.

It's not all doom and gloom though, only few players down and only 2 losses.
Collingwood beat us with their small forwards and run out of defence.
Brisbane only beat us as we fatigued.

If we lose to StKilda though things might be different. There will be no excuses this week. Without Riewoldt they shouldn't be able to score against us.

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I agree with other posters that lack of midfield pressure has been a big part of this apparent drop in defensive efficency. But I think there is another aspect to consider which as cyberdoggie points out is playing the third tall, being Williams or Everitt in defense.

I remember posting last year towards the end of the eason and leading into the finals that while structurally and on potential our backline is better with Williams in it, so far on results we perform better without him.

In theory a fit and confident Wiliams will provide a better match up on the larger fast and mobile forwards, leaving Brian to play the deep forwards. Dale then gets to mutli task playing the third tall, third man up, on a dangerous small or even a lock down role in the middle against big mids (hayes) or mobile rucks (Naitinui).

At present though Tom is still learning the craft. My criticisms of his play to date are that he still gives up front position a little too easily resulting in his opponent taking uncontested marks on the lead. He is also yet to show the required aggression in winning and clearing the ground ball. Wiith his size and speed attackers should fear the big red flash crunching them in a tackle or ripping the ball away, at the moment he is still playing dare I say it, a bit gingerly.

This has no doubt cost us some goals this year both directly but also as his teammates adjust to what he can and can't do. His selection also means that we may have one less counter-attacking back line player as he has yet to consistently bring this to his game.

I would suggest that we will persist through much of the year hoping he finds the improvements needed but that come the latter part of the season if he has not improved then we may go back to the 09 structure which was more fluid in attack and more disciplined in defense.

chef
28-04-2010, 06:53 PM
I thought our backline was supurb against the Lions - 79 inside 50s is a heck of a job to defend against. The F50 pressure has been quite good this year too, esspecially with Grant & Hall chasing everything down they can last week.

Our midfield has lost concentration at times which has reduced pressure on the opposition ball carrier, especially in transition - for mine that is the worrying sign we need to address.

Agree.

BulldogBelle
28-04-2010, 07:15 PM
You guys are harsh on Tom Williams. He was caned last year for not getting any body contact on his opponent, now your on him for not getting in front!! I have watched him diligently try to get body on body at each and every contest, no doubt playing to instructions. As for his disposal, he rarely wastes a kick, and hits his target more often than Lake for sure, and I would say as often as Morris. The only time I see him cough it up it with short little handballs in congestion.

Tom Williams is VITAL in our back line. He doesn't look like a horse, so get off his back.

G-Mo77
28-04-2010, 07:20 PM
You guys are harsh on Tom Williams. He was caned last year for not getting any body contact on his opponent, now your on him for not getting in front!! I have watched him diligently try to get body on body at each and every contest, no doubt playing to instructions. As for his disposal, he rarely wastes a kick, and hits his target more often than Lake for sure, and I would say as often as Morris. The only time I see him cough it up it with short little handballs in congestion.

Tom Williams is VITAL in our back line. He doesn't look like a horse, so get off his back.

I agree with you there. Apart from the Collingwood game I don't think he's done a lot wrong. He seems to be getting better every week IMO.

Love the last line of you post. :D

LostDoggy
28-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I think it's a little to do with our midfield doing turnovers, missing tackles and not pushing back enough to help out at times.

bornadog
28-04-2010, 11:27 PM
With his size and speed attackers should fear the big red flash crunching them in a tackle or ripping the ball away, at the moment he is still playing dare I say it, a bit gingerly.

I think this has to do with his confidence level as well as the number of injuries he has had. I think he tries too hard not to get injured instead of just playing his natural game. I would say as he plays more games and gets more experience this part of his game will disappear. So far this season he has progressed tremendously.

Having said that, are we now too tall in the backline, with Lake, Morris, Hargrave, Everitt and Williams all over 190cm?

Dazza
28-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I think defensively the backline has been fine. It's the offensive rebound thats been lacking a little. I think it's mainly due to the midfields lack of running to find space that we've been missing largely due to Johnson and Eagleton being out of the side/unfit.

Hopefully the boys fire up this week.

chef
29-04-2010, 07:46 AM
I think this has to do with his confidence level as well as the number of injuries he has had. I think he tries too hard not to get injured instead of just playing his natural game. I would say as he plays more games and gets more experience this part of his game will disappear. So far this season he has progressed tremendously.

Having said that, are we now too tall in the backline, with Lake, Morris, Hargrave, Everitt and Williams all over 190cm?

I don't think so(as long as we don't lose Harbrow). They are all pretty mobile and capable of playing on talls or smalls. I think this is a strength of the group, we can match up well on any forward line.

Sockeye Salmon
29-04-2010, 11:09 AM

There's a difference between being 190cm and playing 190cm.

Would you feel better if you read in the Record that Morris was 192cm, Everitt 189cm and Hargrave 186cm? That's about the height they play, so pretend that's what's written in the record and re-assess things.

bornadog
29-04-2010, 01:29 PM
There's a difference between being 190cm and playing 190cm.

Would you feel better if you read in the Record that Morris was 192cm, Everitt 189cm and Hargrave 186cm? That's about the height they play, so pretend that's what's written in the record and re-assess things.

You are probably right there, I was just putting it out there to see what people think. I prefer Everitt to play the wings rather than on a tall forward.