PDA

View Full Version : Harbrows form

stefoid
26-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Someone said the leadership group fronted Harbrow a few weeks ago about whether he was staying or going. And since then, he has been back in top form.

Questions:

1) did this happen?
2) is his form related to that chat?

immortalmike
26-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Someone said the leadership group fronted Harbrow a few weeks ago about whether he was staying or going. And since then, he has been back in top form.

Questions:

1) did this happen?

Fair point I was thinking the same thing.

1eyedog
26-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I stayed at the same hotel in Darwin as a senior trainer, we were having a few and he confirmed that the leadership group had approached him. Said Jarrod has bought a house on the Gold Coast but that it is an investment property (his mother is there). Apparently Jarrod is going to give the leadership group an answer in a few weeks time (before the finals). This info is from only one source but it is from within the club.

Interesting position to be in if he says I'm leaving, but I would admire him for fessing up. If he says I'm going I want you all to know it but I am going to give you 110% for this finals campaign because I want to see this club with the big one, I wouldn't begrudge him the dosh.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I stayed at the same hotel in Darwin as a senior trainer, we were having a few and he confirmed that the leadership group had approached him. Said Jarrod has bought a house on the Gold Coast but that it is an investment property (his mother is there). Apparently Jarrod is going to give the leadership group an answer in a few weeks time (before the finals). This info is from only one source but it is from within the club.

Interesting position to be in if he says I'm leaving, but I would admire him for fessing up. If he says I'm going I want you all to know it but I am going to give you 110% for this finals campaign because I want to see this club with the big one, I wouldn't begrudge him the dosh.

The dosh isn't a key factor in his decision.

The decision will come down to playing at a club he loves playing for against playing in a state where he is much closer to friends & family.

1eyedog
26-07-2010, 03:46 PM

The decision will come down to playing at a club he loves playing for against playing in a state where he is much closer to friends & family.

Agreed but it sure is a lot of money isn't it.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 03:54 PM

I have no idea what's being offered so I don't know.

1eyedog
26-07-2010, 04:05 PM
I would assume it's considerably more than what he will get if he re-signs. I can't see how it wouldn't be influencing his decision to be perfectly honest. To what degree though I'm not sure.

chef
26-07-2010, 04:41 PM

It would be around $150,000 extra a season in my guess, but family/girlfriend is where the real pull is.

LostDoggy
26-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I wont begrudge him going considering the money and family ties.

Still, we gave the young fella a shot from the rookie list and lets hope he remembers that.

The changes to the compensation plan should at least see us get something of value for him.

Curly5
26-07-2010, 05:08 PM

More leaks. :(

BulldogBelle
26-07-2010, 06:09 PM

Unfortunatley he hates Melbourne. But l would like to think if he is going no one treats him any worse and he puts in 110% for the rest of the year.

chef
26-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Unfortunatley he hates Melbourne. But l would like to think if he is going no one treats him any worse and he puts in 110% for the rest of the year.

I can understand that.

AndrewP6
26-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that happened, not sure if his form coming back would be related. If that did happen and I was Harbrow, I'd be a bit peeved - I think those sorts of decisions are entirely personal and nothing at all to do with the leadership group. Was the (alleged) question a result of a trust issue?

Bumper Bulldogs
26-07-2010, 08:46 PM
It would be around $150,000 extra a season in my guess, but family/girlfriend is where the real pull is.

I was told earlier on in the year that the thing he wants most of all is the chance to play in the midfield. He cant see that happening while being at the Dogs.

Funny isn't it, if he stays we have Reid, Wood and co coming along which may free him up to have a run through in the middle. He has shown that he has the moves to play midfield but not sure on the tank just yet.

Mantis
26-07-2010, 08:52 PM

Questions:

1) did this happen?

Who was that someone?

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 05:44 AM

He doesn't seem to be hating Melbourne when I see him at CQ with Josh Hill and Stack. He has friends here. There are plenty of players that don't live near their family. Look at Ryan Griffen. If he leaves it's for the money.

BulldogBelle
27-07-2010, 08:36 AM
He doesn't seem to be hating Melbourne when I see him at CQ with Josh Hill and Stack. He has friends here. There are plenty of players that don't live near their family. Look at Ryan Griffen. If he leaves it's for the money.

l think some people just like to closer to family than others.

l also spoke to his cousin last year who told me he wanted to return home.

But anything is possible, we cann't give up hope yet.

Mantis
27-07-2010, 08:42 AM

That is simply not true.

Twodogs
27-07-2010, 08:44 AM
That is simply not true.

Yep. My understanding is that money isnt an issue too.

The Doctor
27-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Hypothetically

If Harbrow was offered the same money by GC would he still go? I would argue doubtful.

If he was offered an extra $150k would he still go? I would argue much more likely.

If he has the opportunity to earn the extra cash and be closer to family would he still go? Probably.

If that was the case what excuse would he use, money or family? Of course it would be family. But there is no doubt the money played a major part even if he says it doesn't.

Twodogs
27-07-2010, 08:54 AM
'morning Doc. Good to see you, how's things mate?

chef
27-07-2010, 08:56 AM
I was told earlier on in the year that the thing he wants most of all is the chance to play in the midfield. He cant see that happening while being at the Dogs.

Funny isn't it, if he stays we have Reid, Wood and co coming along which may free him up to have a run through in the middle. He has shown that he has the moves to play midfield but not sure on the tank just yet.

If he is prepared to work hard enough to get the tank to play there, you would think that Eade would give him that opportunity next year. There is a spot in the mid field for him if he is good enough IMO(and if his spot in the back line can be replaced adequately).

The Doctor
27-07-2010, 08:56 AM
'morning Doc. Good to see you, how's things mate?

very good yokel! hope all is well at your end mate.

EasternWest
27-07-2010, 09:41 AM

That is simply not true.

It may not be the ultimate reason, but it's naive to think money doesn't play a part. I love my job, but were I offered exponentially more to go elsewhere, it would most certainly play a big part in the decision. That's just being realistic, and I for one wouldn't blame him.

Still gutted if he goes, but would try to understand.

stefoid
27-07-2010, 10:20 AM
More leaks. :(

Actually its an anagram - if you rearrange the letters in 'senior trainer' it spells 'akermanis'.

stefoid
27-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Who was that someone?

Um, akermanis? no, some random post on woof or big footy.

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Actually its an anagram - if you rearrange the letters in 'senior trainer' it spells 'akermanis'.

No it doesn't!

chef
27-07-2010, 10:59 AM
No it doesn't!

Stefoid was just trying to be funny(well I thought it was funny:D)

EasternWest
27-07-2010, 11:33 AM
No it doesn't!

Agreed. I got a little chuckle out of it.

Greystache
27-07-2010, 11:34 AM

No it doesn't, but you were on the right track

An anagram for senior trainer is rear insertion

Rear insertion- Gay footballer articles --- it all leads back to Akermanis!

Twodogs
27-07-2010, 11:44 AM

No it doesn't!

Heh! It might not be right but it's a bloody good answer though!

Twodogs
27-07-2010, 11:49 AM
very good yokel! hope all is well at your end mate.

Exceptionally well thank you mate. Apart from the fact that the traffic here is horrific today things are going particularly well. The kids are great-although my daughter cried all day last thursday over the Aker thing. Sunday's result helped a lot with her recovery though! ;)

LostDoggy
27-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I would assume it's considerably more than what he will get if he re-signs. I can't see how it wouldn't be influencing his decision to be perfectly honest. To what degree though I'm not sure.

That is simply not true.

How about the possibility of playing in a founding team? It's not just money for these guys — sure, the cash is nice, but here is the opportunity to go north and be remembered forever, just for turning up. :)

I don't care what the reason is if he goes, because I won't begrudge him at all. He has been stellar for us, yes we gave him his shot off the rookie list but he earnt it since through his own talents and hard work, and look at all he's given the club already, for the cost of a rookie selection! The pendulum swings both ways…

We should all, as AFL supporters, get behind the new teams anyway. They are fantastic for the league and will mean big bickies for TV rights, the AFL and the game in general — all are set to benefit, including the Western Bulldogs.

The Coon Dog
27-07-2010, 12:04 PM
We should all, as AFL supporters, get behind the new teams anyway. They are fantastic for the league and will mean big bickies for TV rights, the AFL and the game in general — all are set to benefit, including the Western Bulldogs.

I know where you're coming from, but no, I'm sorry, my support is for the Western Bulldogs & no other, irrespective of how long they've been around or where they come from.

The fact that these new teams get such generous concessions at the outset just gets my back up further.

Hardly a fair playing field.

mighty_west
27-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Just makes it so much harder to win a flag, was hard enough as it was whilst there only 11 other clubs to contend with, let alone another 15, or 17.

Murphy'sLore
27-07-2010, 12:29 PM

Der, sorry, just being thick this morning :rolleyes:

Cyberdoggie
27-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I know where you're coming from, but no, I'm sorry, my support is for the Western Bulldogs & no other, irrespective of how long they've been around or where they come from.

The fact that these new teams get such generous concessions at the outset just gets my back up further.

They should be made to target some uncontracted players from Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon.

Instead of honest clubs like ours! :(

stefoid
27-07-2010, 03:53 PM
No it doesn't!

OK, try this:

"a senior trainer smakaj" = "irate jason akermanis"

best I can do.

stefoid
27-07-2010, 03:54 PM
No it doesn't, but you were on the right track

An anagram for senior trainer is rear insertion

Rear insertion- Gay footballer articles --- it all leads back to Akermanis!

bravo!

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-07-2010, 05:50 PM

I agree. Scott Clayton enjoys 10 years with the Bulldogs and then straight away tries to do deals with two of our stars in Harbrow and Griffen. Harbrow has probably moved into our best six elite players this year and deserves to be compensated adequately. The possibility of moving on Hahn, Eagleton, Akermanis and Johnson with 2-3 other fringe players should free up our salary cap to reward both Harbrow and Griffen but not to the extent of putting their salaries out of wack with the likes of Cooney, Boyd, Lake, Cross.

The Coon Dog
27-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I agree. Scott Clayton enjoys 10 years with the Bulldogs and then straight away tries to do deals with two of our stars in Harbrow and Griffen. Harbrow has probably moved into our best six elite players this year and deserves to be compensated adequately. The possibility of moving on Hahn, Eagleton, Akermanis and Johnson with 2-3 other fringe players should free up our salary cap to reward both Harbrow and Griffen but not to the extent of putting their salaries out of wack with the likes of Cooney, Boyd, Lake, Cross.

I have no axe to grind with Scott Clayton, he's got a job to do & obviously he has to serve his current master, not his former one. Really nice bloke & its easy to see, given what he does, why he took on the GC job. Not that I wish him any success I might add.

strebla
27-07-2010, 07:41 PM
To me I go back to a conversation I had with tony McGuiness at about round 17 he told me flat out I want to go home its where my family is. I love this club and the blokes here but i want my kids to grow up in Sth Australia he was honest and always had a dip whilst wearing our jumper. I was shattered but I understand It will be the same for me if Harbrow goes he plays his heart out each week I will wish him luck and thanks and then move on.

Bumper Bulldogs
27-07-2010, 09:30 PM

Spot on but I'm sure Picken is well underpaid. For me the likes of Tiller, Everitt, Stack, Hill will need to make way for the rookies and draft picks as if they don't go to the next level they shouldn't get any further salary increase, Jonno, Aker, Eagle will free up cash to normal management but it looks as we need to trade a few others to free up spots & cash to keep all the boys happy in the kennel.

Doc26
27-07-2010, 10:08 PM
How about the possibility of playing in a founding team? It's not just money for these guys — sure, the cash is nice, but here is the opportunity to go north and be remembered forever, just for turning up. :)

Like Jimmy Edmond at the Bears :rolleyes:

Can't say any of the Bears foundation players really created a lasting legacy for themselves or the Club. At a stretch Roger Merrett but then he already held the infamous 'Hitman' title from his Bomber years.

For Harbrow to be remembered for good and not evil then he needs to stay a Dog. He needs to remember a pet is not just for Christmas.

LostDoggy
29-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Watched the Chooseday nite game, it was Bull v Geel R.9 2009, what a cracking game and was amazed at the progress that Harbrow has made since. It is scary what we are about to lose, it makes me cringe at the thought of what he will be like in another years time. I know you cant make a person stay but wow what a rookie.

always right
29-07-2010, 03:38 PM
I will be decimated if/when he leaves. Sure we might get "adequate" compensation for him but can you really replace someone like Harbrow? Sure he has some limitations but his type of player comes around very rarely. Love the 100% approach to everything he does. A joy to watch.

stefoid
29-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I will be decimated if/when he leaves. Sure we might get "adequate" compensation for him but can you really replace someone like Harbrow? Sure he has some limitations but his type of player comes around very rarely. Love the 100% approach to everything he does. A joy to watch.

1/10th of you is going to die?

EasternWest
29-07-2010, 08:38 PM
1/10th of you is going to die?

Damn, beat me to it.

If you get to choose AR, make it your tonsils and appendix. They're no good to you anyway.

Greystache
07-08-2010, 11:58 PM
John Ralph said on the coverage tonight that the club has conceded Harbrow is going to GC. I find it surprising if they actually said this, I think some journalistic license is being taken there. Although with him being conspicuous by his absence this week makes it a bit more interesting.

GVGjr
08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
John Ralph said on the coverage tonight that the club has conceded Harbrow is going to GC. I find it surprising if they actually said this, I think some journalistic license is being taken there. Although with him being conspicuous by his absence this week makes it a bit more interesting.

Couldn't agree more. We might be pushing up hill to keep him but it's seems to me to be more of a good assumption than a confirmed fact.

Rocco Jones
08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Couldn't agree more. We might be pushing up hill to keep him but it's seems to me to be more of a good assumption than a confirmed fact.

Most mainstream journalists see them as one and the same.