Clearances
Kicks per game
1st Possession per game

Second in:

Rebound 50's
Marks
Disposals

and third in inside 50's and goals.

We are down on tackles but that is because we have the ball more than other sides.

angelopetraglia
09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
The stat we have improved the most in and IMO is still not recognised by the wider football world is our defence and in particular points conceded.

We are now ranked number two for poitns against and only a by a very small margin. We have only conceded 12 more points than St Kilda but have scored nearly 300 points more than them.

Last year our defence was ranked 6th and we were a whopping 529 points behind St Kilda. In 2008 we were ranked 7th and another whopping 461 points behind Geelong.

Traditionally a strong defence has held up very well in finals, lets hope the trend continues.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Can I ask where these were sourced?

bornadog
09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Can I ask where these were sourced?

http://www.pro-stats.com.au/

Also a good site to compare players with each other ie their stats.

Go_Dogs
10-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Ranked 15th in 1%er's is something I'd like to see improve.

Besides that, we are really doing very well overall. The scary thing is, we have rarely played our best football.

bornadog
10-08-2010, 10:01 AM

Besides that, we are really doing very well overall. The scary thing is, we have rarely played our best football.

We have either smashed teams or lost some very close ones. The losses occured when we weren't at full strength, yet 3 points to St Kilda, 10 to Essendon, 9 to Collingwood and 3 to the Hawks could all easily have been wins.

stefoid
10-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Is being second in rebound 50s a good thing? the other top 4 teams are mid table or below in that stat - means our forward/midfield pressure isnt good enough but our back 6 pull our arses out of the fire.

the other teams that are 'tops' in r50s are melbourne, brisbane, carlton, essendon and west coast...not good company.

The Underdog
10-08-2010, 10:58 AM
We have either smashed teams or lost some very close ones. The losses occured when we weren't at full strength, yet 3 points to St Kilda, 10 to Essendon, 9 to Collingwood and 3 to the Hawks could all easily have been wins.

The 10 points to Essendon and 9 points to Collingwood are a bit misleading. We were exceptionally poor for most of the Essendon game and not much better against the Pies.
Yes we came back hard and late but to say they could have easily been wins isn't necessarily true either.
Despite us having the ball so much I think our tackling is something that I think can often be improved upon.

Having said all of that, we are an incredibly good in and under team and our hardness is something that I think will serve us well in September.
Hopefully we can convert the chances we create against the other top sides.

divvydan
10-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Ideally we'd be better than 15th there, however, we're also 1st for least Opponent 1%ers per game so it's not that we're being beaten in 1%ers (ranked 5th in differential of 1%ers) but rather that the style of game we play that lower the overall number of 1%ers in games.

In regard to our rebound 50 stats and if it's a good thing. We do have a positive I50 ratio compared to our opponent behind Collingwood, St Kilda, Geelong and Adelaide (Collingwood are a long long way ahead, which indicates their dominanace at the moment).

Additionally, checking the stats, we have the 2nd highest R50/opp I50 % (behind Stkilda) and 6th highest in Opponent R50/our I50% (Geelong 1st) so we do a reasonable job of not letting the ball come out of our 50m area.

stefoid
11-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Ideally we'd be better than 15th there, however, we're also 1st for least Opponent 1%ers per game so it's not that we're being beaten in 1%ers (ranked 5th in differential of 1%ers) but rather that the style of game we play that lower the overall number of 1%ers in games.

In regard to our rebound 50 stats and if it's a good thing. We do have a positive I50 ratio compared to our opponent behind Collingwood, St Kilda, Geelong and Adelaide (Collingwood are a long long way ahead, which indicates their dominanace at the moment).

Additionally, checking the stats, we have the 2nd highest R50/opp I50 % (behind Stkilda) and 6th highest in Opponent R50/our I50% (Geelong 1st) so we do a reasonable job of not letting the ball come out of our 50m area.

Interesting. The Saints are good in stopping inside 50s from being scoring shots because they have their entire @$@# team back there. I reckon ours is more due to the defensive efforts of the back 6.

It stands to reason that zoning/flooding teams will restrict inside 50 numbers and make scoring more difficult by pushing the numbers back. However, I still think we need more pressure ourselves on the opposition to reduce sheer quantity of ball getting into the danger zone.

We are fourth, but we want to be first, so we have to improve in some areas, and I reckon forward pressure is a good place to start.