PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R20 Western Bulldogs vs Geelong

BulldogBelle
13-08-2010, 04:36 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Saturday night's game at ES against Geelong.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 8 points
BOG : Matthew Boyd
Brad Johnson to kick the first goal

LostDoggy
13-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Dogs by 23 points
BOG Ryan Griffen
1st goal Barry Hall

chef
13-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Doggies by 54 points.
Hall First Goal.
Lake BOG.

bornadog
13-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Doggies by 54 points.
Hall First Goal.
Lake BOG.

What are they feeding you up there in Kyabram:D

Dogs by 17
Murphy 1st Goal
BOG Boyd

mighty_west
13-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Draw
1st goal - Gia
BOG - Hall

LostDoggy
13-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Dogs by 40 Points (7 goals to 1 first quarter)
1st Goal - Jones
BOG - Higgins (It's time)

Gotta feeling we will jump them :D

LostDoggy
13-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Seems to be alot of positive results in peoples predictions!
Nonetheless, I'm ever the optimist :D
Dogs by 17
Gia BOG
Big Bustling Barry for the first goal!

chef
13-08-2010, 07:11 PM
What are they feeding you up there in Kyabram:D

I've been tipping the Doggies by 54 points every week since round 12(I missed doing my prediction for the Hawks game:mad:) and we keep on winning so I don't want to ruin a good thing:)

LostDoggy
13-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Geelong by 13
BOG Selwood
First goal Hall

DOG GOD
13-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Geelong by 11
BOG Ablett
1st goal Gia

Rae
13-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Doggies by 54 points.
Hall First Goal.
Lake BOG.

I like the fact you are tipping 54points. I think it is a good omen as we won our last [and only] flag in 54. Go dogs you can do it this year.

Doggies by 54
Gia first goal
Picken BOG

BulldogBelle
13-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Dogs by 3 points
BOG: Brad Johnson
1st Goal & Last Goal: Brian Lake

LostDoggy
13-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Keeping the faith......

Dogs by 10 points
BOG = Murphy
First Goal = Gia

AndrewP6
13-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Heart says:

Dogs by 8 points
BOG Lake
First goal Bazza

Head says: Geelong will win, and if that happens the rest doesn't matter. :(

boydogs
13-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Draw
First Goal Jones
BOG Ablett

Ghost Dog
13-08-2010, 11:48 PM
First Goal Barry
Dogs by 10
BOG Adam Coon Dog

AndrewP6
13-08-2010, 11:50 PM
First Goal Barry
Dogs by 10
BOG Adam Coon Dog

He's not playing...:(

Ghost Dog
13-08-2010, 11:58 PM
I refuse to believe it. *sob * I'm predicting a miracle recovery.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 01:50 AM
He not an emergency listed player either.

Dogs by 7
FG: Hall
Bog: Minson!!!

Ghost Dog
14-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Ok then. BOG - Glorious captain Brad

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Dogs by 8

First Goal - Gia

BOG - Murphy

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 02:00 PM
The Peter Featherby Cup match.

Dog's by 22

BOG; Boyd

1st Goal; Ward

Desipura
14-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Dog's by 22

BOG; Boyd

1st Goal; Ward
Get it right, its the Shane Williams cup. :D

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I predict if the dogs are to win it would take Griffens best game of the year, as well as others being solid.

Dogs : 23
BOG: Griffen
First: some geelong bozoe, Shannon Burns I guess???

The Underdog
14-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Get it right, its the Shane Williams cup. :D

The Peter Street Mug or Tim Callan Brownlow Dress.

I'd be way more confident if Cooney or Harbrow was in there. Makes Griff's pace a lot more important from the middle.
Even then though I'll say,

Dogs by 4 points
First goal Gia
BOG Lake (who else)

Also I'll be stuck at work tonight so everyone give a bit extra for me.

The Underdog
14-08-2010, 04:45 PM
I predict if the dogs are to win it would take Griffens best game of the year, as well as others being solid.

Dogs : 23
BOG: Griffen
First: some geelong bozoe, Shannon Burns I guess???

Is it Burns, Byrnes or Boo-urns?

Go_Dogs
14-08-2010, 05:39 PM
How are fellow SA folk planning on watching the game tonight? PM me if necessary...damn coverage black spot, for game of the round as per usual mind you!

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 05:50 PM
How are fellow SA folk planning on watching the game tonight? PM me if necessary...damn coverage black spot, for game of the round as per usual mind you!

Unreal isnt it? Port vs West Coast on both channels, 2nd vs 4th delayed, disgraceful.

I am turning my phone and laptop off and waiting until the foxtel replay at 10pm. Was discussing a trip over the border with a few others but didnt happen.

I wont predict this game, I dont like what I would write...

First goal Gia.
BOG Griff

Remi Moses
14-08-2010, 06:07 PM
First Goal Barry
Bog griffen

Dogs By 1 pt(Brad Johnson goal after the siren)
By god we're owed one against this mob!

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Dogs by 11
Griff BOG
Gia first

Sockeye Salmon
14-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Dog's by 22

BOG; Boyd

1st Goal; Ward

Peter Featherby was an absolute star.

i think he simply hated Melbourne so we let him go back to Perth and he promptly turned around and went to Geelong.

We did still have a hold on him though. Geelong got a clearance off us for a 17yo KPF called Paul Hood. Hood broke his leg in his first U19's game and never played again.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Dogs by 15 points
BOG: Cross
first goal: Liam Jones

Bumper Bulldogs
14-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Dogs by 22 points
Roughy first goal
BOG Lake

ledge
14-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Gee the Ottens bump was a pretty obvious report wasnt it? not looking at the ball, more than 5 metres away and hit on the jaw?
I cant get how the commentators are saying its ok.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Our pressure in the first quarter was good but some of our delivery inside 50 really let us down. Let's hope the boys can improve on that in the second quarter!

ledge
14-08-2010, 08:47 PM
And Chapman punching Picken in the chest!
Seems Geelong have a non reportable stamp.

BulldogBelle
14-08-2010, 08:58 PM
in trouble methinks

BornInDroopSt'54
14-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Podsiadly is killing Lake. Lake must have read his own press.

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 09:02 PM
Very disappointing. Eight unanswered goals so far. Might as well go back to bed.

Scorlibo
14-08-2010, 09:05 PM
This is bad. 51-0 in the last half hour of play.

Edit: 57-1

Edit:63-1

Go_Dogs
14-08-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm blaming the illness.

And a Geelong side that's incredibly fired up doesn't help.

I think we can beat them, let's just not lost our confidence.

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Absolutely shameful. Picken is gone. How stupid was that?

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Probably one of the worst quarters of football I have seen from the Bulldogs in many, many years. Geelong really rubbed it in. Virus? It looks like they all have the plague!

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Absolutely pathetic display from a weak, insipid team of pretenders.

An insult to the Footscray name, an insult to the jumper, an insult to everything we stand for.

Hang your heads in shame players - virus or no virus, you go out onto the field, you are 100% fit, and you play to win.

DOG GOD
14-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Games like these certainly make us look like pretenders....can we call for the mercy rule please.

firstdogonthemoon
14-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I am sad

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Wow. talk about reality check.

First 15 minutes we went flat out with intent, and purpose and confidence.
Then Geelong fought back hard... and our confidence broke like a wet paper bag, and all of a sudden our whole game has fallen apart.
Going to be interesting to see how or if we can re-group from this.

Some players reverting to early season type as well, bombing it without any method or care.

Thank goodness Freo lost today.

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! Goal! :p

BulldogBelle
14-08-2010, 09:50 PM
we should quit the afl and form a large womens squash team

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Barry Hall goal!!!!!!!! We're on a roll! Only 10+goals behind!

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Oh, noes! Back to 12+ goals behind. When will it end? :(

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Absolutely shameful. Picken is gone. How stupid was that?

That moment is killing me more than the score!

Dry Rot
14-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Trying to follow this in between having dinner guests.

Did anyone stand up for us in the second quarter?

SonofScray
14-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I am not super surprised. The effort was great for 10 minutes, but there are just too many blokes down AND the guys that aren't are being exposed by a more focused and committed team in Geelong.

Rocket seems to be throwing blokes to the slaughter as well, just refusing to budge too much from the set up in the opening stanza. Horrific to watch, very frustrating.

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Yay! Saturday morning cartoons are starting on TV! Now I have something to really laugh about! :p

Chicago1
14-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Did anyone stand up for us in the second quarter?

I'm sure there were many Bulldogs fans who stood up and left during that second quarter.

Remi Moses
14-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm blaming the illness.

Seriously mate I'm all for positive thoughts but sometimes reality hits you in the face. That was totally pathetic.

PRETENDERS

Remi Moses
14-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm sure there were many Bulldogs fans who stood up and left during that second quarter.

I left at half time . If the club are going to dish up that Crap can they give us a heads up so I won't bother wasting a Saturday night

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Now for me this is what will be interesting - what will the coach and the players say after the game?

Will they offer excuses? The virus? Injuries? A better team? Blah blah blah.

Or will they come out like Scarlett did last week and say "we were deplorable", i.e. put their hands up, accept the blame, and do something about it?

I'm tipping the former, I hope and pray for the latter.

Stefcep
14-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Geelong's half backs were the key when they smashed us 2 years ago at KArdinia APrk, and the same today. Collingwood's forwards pressured Geelon's half backs an won. Our half forwards missing in action. Defense begins when you don't have the ball,

chef
14-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm blaming the illness.

Me too, plus an interrupted week, missing some key players(others that have come in who are clearly under done) and an opponent with a huge point to prove.

And it all started so well:(:(:(

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I just don't understand how we could come out so hard for the first 15 minutes, and then just go to pieces in a hearbeat?

Ghost Dog
14-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Royal Shellacking. capitulating humiliation sick players not withstanding. Disposals, fueled by hysterical panic. Alright, blame it on the flu then. Even good teams get spanked now and then. Collingwood gave Geelong a beating in 2009 I think it was, a complete anomaly. Let's hope it's along similar lines.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm a bit sick of our main option up forward being Liam Jones with three opposition players on him.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 11:15 PM
The performance served up tonight was just deplorable...
Seriously, sick or not, a 100 point loss is unacceptable...

Hotdog60
14-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Everytime Shaggy got the ball he gave it straight back.

Dale is the only bloke that tried all night.

GVGjr
14-08-2010, 11:33 PM
An absolute belting wasn't it?

Even allowing for some players carrying the effect of the flu we were nowhere near the mark. Out inability to win the games against the stronger sides is putting a gap between the top 2 or 3 sides and us.

We can play a lot better than that but there must be a few player confidences shattered after that performance.

LostDoggy
14-08-2010, 11:52 PM
History shows that wins in the H&A season can mean little come finals time.
If we make top 4 we have a double chance.
Hopefully the wake up call tonight means a much better performance in the 1st week of the finals.
Agree that tonight was deplorable and I am cranky as anyone, but what can you do?
I'd like to think that we bulldogs supporters are made of pretty stern stuff. (lets face it, we have to be, lol)
We will be in the finals, and as long as we are we are not without a chance.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Good sides don't lose by 100 points regardless of the flu.

We're a middle of the road side once again, unfortunately.

GVGjr
15-08-2010, 12:07 AM

I agree with the first point but not the 2nd. We are a far better side that some of the teams around the mid table.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:19 AM
I found that loss a lot less disappointing than any of our other ones, I'm not sure if it was because it was an absolute flogging and I had time to accept the loss without ever getting my hopes up or if it was because we were far from full strength and it was pretty much on the cards anyway.

It's a good thing percentage isn't going to come into play (I sincerely hope not anyway), because ours took a bit of a hit tonight.

soupman
15-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Here were the few positives I pulled from the match.

Everitt played his best game in a long time. Held marks, was involved for more than the odd flash here and there. Played well down back and up forward. Kicked a goal which from my seat shouldn't have been disallowed and was a ripper. Also ran back courageously with the flight of the ball. I thought he was good and deserves to remain in the side.

Murphy is fantastic. I didn't realise how quick he was. Looks great coming out of the back half.

Williams has been very good this season. He is reliable, consistent and generally good in his disposal and decision making under pressure. Also held Varcoe and Pods well when on each.

Our defenders generally played well, and performed admirably. Unfortunately our midifeld was slaughtered.

Thats probably it unfortunately.

BulldogBelle
15-08-2010, 12:31 AM
......Even allowing for some players carrying the effect of the flu we were nowhere near the mark. Out inability to win the games against the stronger sides is putting a gap between the top 2 or 3 sides and us.

We can play a lot better than that but there must be a few player confidences shattered after that performance.

So true, we are no match for the top sides. Proven again.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 01:31 AM
So true, we are no match for the top sides. Proven again.

Sorry can't agree. All you blokes sound like the media, sucked in by one bad game and assessing the team on that one game, instead of looking at the season and the overall picture.

We have players to come in, we have players to recover from illness, we had tired players from last weeks slog in the mid in Adelaide.

As I said in another thread, write this off as a bad day in the office, and move on. We are in the top four and the H&A means nothing now.

chef
15-08-2010, 07:53 AM

Not quite 100 points, but Round 9 2008 Collingwood beat Geelong by 86 points.

chef
15-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Sorry can't agree. All you blokes sound like the media, sucked in by one bad game and assessing the team on that one game, instead of looking at the season and the overall picture.

We have players to come in, we have players to recover from illness, we had tired players from last weeks slog in the mid in Adelaide.

As I said in another thread, write this off as a bad day in the office, and move on. We are in the top four and the H&A means nothing now.

Couldn't agree more:).

Ghost Dog
15-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Hopefully the wake up call tonight means a much better performance in the 1st week of the finals.

We will be in the finals, and as long as we are we are not without a chance.

That's the only positive thing I can think of. There will be some extra grunt at training this week at the western oval this week you can be assured.
COME ON BULLDOGS ___ LIFT YOUR GAME!

Mantis
15-08-2010, 09:44 AM
That's the only positive thing I can think of. There will be some extra grunt at training this week at the western oval this week you can be assured.
COME ON BULLDOGS ___ LIFT YOUR GAME!

What does that count for?

There should have been extra grunt last night when things got tough, buy sadly there wasn't.

bornadog
15-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Higgins out for 3 to 4 with Calf, Brian Lake had hip problems in the 1st quarter, couldn't jump as eveidenced against the Pod in the second, and Wood Hammy. This also didn't help our cause.

GVGjr
15-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Higgins out for 3 to 4 with Calf, Brian Lake had hip problems in the 1st quarter, couldn't jump as eveidenced against the Pod in the second, and Wood Hammy. This also didn't help our cause.

We have some good players that should be right to come back in like Harbrow, Cooney and Hudson so it will make a difference.

Mantis
15-08-2010, 12:09 PM

Excuses are aplenty.

How did any of this effect our midfield & forwards defensive pressure?

How did this effect our work at the clearances?

Go_Dogs
15-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Excuses are aplenty.

Our midfield is one paced and lacks defensive pressure at the best of times. It was worse last night without Hudson and Cooney who are probably our 2 most important centre square players.

Getting some run into Ward will help as he can add a harder defensive edge to our midfield. With Cooney back too it should allow for Boyd and Cross to play more negating roles which will hopefully be the instruction.

Our forward line has been useless with regards to defensive pressure all year, so not sure why you thought it would be any different last night? Obviously not having J Grant (who is about our best in this area) didn't help.

LostDoggy
15-08-2010, 12:15 PM
One of the biggest problems we had last night, was getting it away from the clearances.

Without Cooney we had no one who was able to burst away from a stoppage or bounce in the middle, scaring when you think about it now. No speed what so ever out of the middle, at one moment we had Higgins, Cross & Boyd in there at a bounce, all not the quickest guys going around. Even if we were first to the ball & able to break clear, we couldn't because we had no leg speed & no one with a burst of 1-2 metres.

Not like Geelong had last night.

DOG GOD
15-08-2010, 12:16 PM
How on earth can eade say that Ward and Higgins are match fit. Totally inept performance by those two. Neither can run and put on defensive pressure. I wouldve rather have seen Addo or Callan out there instead.

And as i have said before. Ward certainly has groin issues. Any shot at goal he had was shocking once again, pulling the ball severely to the left. Anytime he has to LIFT his leg to kick it goes awol.

We cannot afford to be carrying players at 50% when we have enough problems with being slow.

Mantis
15-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Our midfield is one paced and lacks defensive pressure at the best of times. It was worse last night without Hudson and Cooney who are probably our 2 most important centre square players.

Agree with that.

Getting some run into Ward will help as he can add a harder defensive edge to our midfield. With Cooney back too it should allow for Boyd and Cross to play more negating roles which will hopefully be the instruction..

It was the instruction last night.

These 2 simply refuse to pick up players nowadays and are immune to criticism. Boyd had the ball 35 times and has been mentioned as one of our best by some media scribes. Didn't they take notice that he was playing on Ablett & Selwood how ran free at will.

Our forward line has been useless with regards to defensive pressure all year, so not sure why you thought it would be any different last night? Obviously not having J Grant (who is about our best in this area) didn't help.

0 tackles for Johnson & Hall, 2 for Eagleton.

Not good enough.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2010, 12:24 PM

These 2 simply refuse to pick up players nowadays and are immune to criticism. Botyd had the ball 35 timers and has been mentioned as one of our best by soem media scribes. Didn't they take notice taht he was playing on Ablett & Selwood how ran free at will.

I agree that it's becoming an increasing problem. Last year when we beat Geelong I remember a couple of young guys putting in huge defensive efforts and finishing with about 20 tackles between them.

If Boydy and to a lesser extent Crossy aren't prepared to follow instruction, then I hope someone from the group can address that issue in fairly simple terms.

No doubt I'd rather have Cross and Boyd with 10 touches between them and have them beating their direction opponents with little fuss, than them having 100 touches between them, and their opponents doing the same.

Why isn't it happening?

0 tackles for Johnson & Hall, 2 for Eagleton.

Not good enough.

Agreed.

Besides resting Cooney and Griff forwards, and perhaps Harbrow for spells, there isn't really much we can do to improve our speed up forwards. We just need everyone to concentrate better on their application. Defensive pressure needs to be the cornerstone of our game plan. When we're up, that's what drives our success.

Stefcep
15-08-2010, 01:12 PM

12 matches against Collinwood, St Kilda or Geelong: LOST 10, won 2, going in, now 13 played lost 11.

Not just one match.

Stefcep
15-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Excuses are aplenty.

to beat Geelong thats the key: their half backs need to be pressured.
Collingwood did it and won.

BTW Does Eade get of scot free?

He's been out-coached by MAtlhouse and Thompson.

Mantis
15-08-2010, 01:24 PM
BTW Does Eade get of scot free?

He's been out-coached by MAtlhouse and Thompson.

How was Eade out-coached?

AndrewP6
15-08-2010, 01:36 PM
It was the instruction last nigh[/[B]B]t.

These 2 simply refuse to pick up players nowadays and are immune to criticism. Boyd had the ball 35 times and has been mentioned as one of our best by some media scribes. Didn't they take notice that he was playing on Ablett & Selwood how ran free at will.

Not good enough.

If that was the instruction, their inability or unwillingness to get near them was a massive concern. I think they got close shaking hands at the end!

bornadog
15-08-2010, 01:42 PM
12 matches against Collinwood, St Kilda or Geelong: LOST 10, won 2, going in, now 13 played lost 11.

Not just one match.

This season:eek:

Stefcep
15-08-2010, 01:43 PM
How was Eade out-coached?

I refuse to accept that player for player, Geelong is 100 points better.

Lake should have been moved sooner, not when we're down by 12 goals, after 25 minutes=Eades call.

Why have the Geelong half backs been allowed so much freedom both games in recent times that we have been smacked by them? Collingwood had the game plan to pressure their half backs and won. Why wouldn't the coaching staff instruct the forwards that this is top priority= Eades call.

Why didn't Selwood and Ablett have shadow taggers=Eades call.

The opposition has momentum and kicks 12 straight goals and Eade makes no positional change?

If you have to you flood the backline to upset their momentum and just hang in there and weather the storm.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I refuse to accept that player for player, Geelong is 100 points better.

Lake should have been moved sooner, not when we're down by 12 goals, after 25 minutes=Eades call.

Why have the Geelong half backs been allowed so much freedom both games in recent times that we have been smacked by them? Collingwood had the game plan to pressure their half backs and won. Why wouldn't the coaching staff instruct the forwards that this is top priority= Eades call.

Why didn't Selwood and Ablett have shadow taggers=Eades call.

The opposition has momentum and kicks 12 straight goals and Eade makes no positional change?

If you have to you flood the backline to upset their momentum and just hang in there and weather the storm.

So you move the bloke (Lake) who is meant to be your best defender up forward, during the same period of time that the ball is coming with ease into the Geelong forward line? He would've caught a cold down in the forward line as the ball was not going anywhere near there. Meaning you've robbed your defense whilst giving no advantage to the team.

From the first 15 minutes our defensive pressure was great. Do you all of a sudden think Eade instructed them to stop? Seems to me this was a player driven issue, failure to stick to the plan when under pressure.

Cross and Boyd were instructed (see Mantis' post above) to play negating roles. They did not do this. That's not Eade's fault.

I seem to recall that there were lots of midfield rotations during this period of time, we were getting hammered, which is where most of our glaring problems were stemming from.

As far as flooding. I'm not sure that would've worked given the poor execution of some of our defenders. How many times under pressure were guys like Shaggy, Boyd, Gilbee & Higgins mopping up out of defense, banging it back into the middle straight to Geelong players. With the way the guys were not coping under pressure, to gift Geelong the ball even more by sticking even more numbers behind the ball, would've just invited even more pressure on ourselves.

Alot of these are game day decisions, and in today's game you often hear coaches say that the actual game day moves made these days may only effect play by a very small percentage, due to the number of rotations made.

I think blaming the coach makes more sense when the margin is close, and clear positional moves make the difference. There isn't much a coach can do though , when as per last night, your group en masse refuse to show at least a glimpse of sustained effort, composure, or skill execution.

AndrewP6
15-08-2010, 02:08 PM
So you move the bloke (Lake) who is meant to be your best defender up forward, during the same period of time that the ball is coming with ease into the Geelong forward line? He would've caught a cold down in the forward line as the ball was not going anywhere near there. Meaning you've robbed your defense whilst giving no advantage to the team.

From the first 15 minutes our defensive pressure was great. Do you all of a sudden think Eade instructed them to stop? Seems to me this was a player driven issue, failure to stick to the plan when under pressure.

Cross and Boyd where instructed (see Mantis' post above) to play negating roles. They did not do this. That's not Eade's fault.

I seem to recall that there were lots of midfield rotations during this period of time, we were getting hammered, which is where most of our glaring problems were stemming from.

As far as flooding. I'm not sure that would've worked given the poor execution of some of our defenders. How many times under pressure were guys like Shaggy, Boyd, Gilbee & Higgins mopping up out of defense, banging it back into the middle straight to Geelong players. With the way the guys were not coping under pressure, to gift Geelong the ball even more by sticking even more numbers behind the ball, would've just invited even more pressure on ourselves.

Alot of these are game day decisions, and in today's game you often here coaches say that the actual game day moves made these days may only effect play by a very small percentage, due to the number of rotations made.

I think blaming the coach makes more sense when the margin is close, and clear positional moves make the difference. There isn't much a coach can do though , when as per last night, your group en masse refuse to show at least a glimpse of sustained effort, composure, or skill execution.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ghost Dog
15-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Cross and Boyd were instructed (see Mantis' post above) to play negating roles. They did not do this. That's not Eade's fault.

Alot of these are game day decisions, and in today's game you often hear coaches say that the actual game day moves made these days may only effect play by a very small percentage, due to the number of rotations made.

Interesting views. Thanks. If what you say is true, I'm more worried. Serious group attitude issues there to let things collapse in a heap like that.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2010, 04:14 PM

If they refuse to listen to instructions and are immune to criticism, why are they getting games every week?

If they can do as they please without being punished, why would they change?

How do Higgins and Ward get games? Neither can run or kick. There's no way they can be sharp, fit and skillful at training. If Everitt or Hill played like this - would they last? No. Watching Higgins and Ward run around is painful. They're absolutely killing us.

Eade and the MC aren't free of guilt.