PDA

View Full Version : Game Day - R22 Western Bulldogs vs Essendon

BulldogBelle
27-08-2010, 02:44 PM
This is the discussion thread for this Saturday night's game at ES against Essendon.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 38 points
BOG : Daniel Giansiracusa
Barry Hall to kick the first goal

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Dogs by 72 points
BOG - Boyd
1st Goal - Roughy starting up forward

bornadog
27-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Dogs - must win don't care by how much

First Goal - anyone we need a good start

BOG - Leadership must stand up.

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Dogs by 24 points
BOG Ryan Griffen
1st goal Nathan Eagleton

mighty_west
27-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Dogs by 112 points
BOG - Barry Hall
First goal - Daniel Giansiracusa
Matthew Knights sacked

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Dogs by 101 points
BOG - Cross
First Goal - Gilbee

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Dogs by 21
BOG Griff
First Goal Bazza

Would love a win this week..Im hungry!

LostDoggy
27-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Dogs by 112 points
BOG - Barry Hall
First goal - Daniel Giansiracusa
Matthew Knights sacked

Geez MW thats a big margin! A win like that would go a little way to easing the pain of a shocking last few weeks.

chef
27-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Doggies by 54.
Gia first goal.
Hudson BOG.

mighty_west
27-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Geez MW thats a big margin! A win like that would go a little way to easing the pain of a shocking last few weeks.

I just get the feeling we will go in breathing fire, plus the fact that the Bombers are on their knees.

DOG GOD
27-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Dogs by 3pts
BOG - Cross
1st goal - Bazza

Flamethrower
27-08-2010, 08:47 PM
I just get the feeling we will go in breathing fire, plus the fact that the Bombers are on their knees.

We aren't exactly flying either.

Doggies by 19 points
1st goal - Big Bald Bazza
BOG - Matthew Boyd

We must have a better 2nd quarter this week - the last 2 weeks we have been smashed.

boydogs
28-08-2010, 02:25 AM
This is the sort of game we win and win comfortably

Dogs by 40
First Goal Grant
BOG Gia

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Dogs by 38 points
BOG Robert Murphy
1st goal Mitch Hahn

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Dogs by 52
BOG Harbrow
1st goal Grant

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Loving the positive BIG winning margins :D

Dogs by 54
First Goal = Grant
BOG = Gia

comrade
28-08-2010, 10:31 AM
I know this is a thread for the Essendon game but I couldn't give a hoot about the result, to be honest.

Confidence, winning form, momentum; yeah, I know about those things, but getting over the Bombers will mean absolutely nothing as we stand side by side eye balling Collingwood in the first final.

All I want to see is some ferocity, some desire to physically punish the opposition. I want to see us destroy by tackling, tackling, tackling.

Oh, and no injuries.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Dogs by <insert number from 1-200 here>
First goal Bazza (to kick 10 and steal the coleman off Jack)
BOG anyone to grab this game by the scruff of the neck and say bring on finals, its not over yet.

Go_Dogs
28-08-2010, 12:03 PM
All I want to see is some ferocity, some desire to physically punish the opposition. I want to see us destroy by tackling, tackling, tackling.

Oh, and no injuries.

Agree on both counts.

Dogs by 35.
First goal Hall
BOG Everitt

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Dogs by 1954
First goal Grant
BOG Addison

AndrewP6
28-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Dogs by 17
BOG Bazza
First goal Merlin
Cost of drinking at Etihad Stadium: immeasurable.

Greystache
28-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Dogs by 22
First goal- Jones
BOG- Griffen (just about to run into the best form of his life) :D

The Underdog
28-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Dogs by 36
BOG: Lake (if he can't hit form against this forward line he may never)
First goal: Hall

Seriously even without Cooney and Morris, if we can't beat a team travelling as badly as Essendon without Watson, McVeigh and Fletcher then we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I dont care for the margin, I know we will win but for me its all about getting the touch back.
First Goal Essendon the next 7 Bulldogs
BOG: Every player over 100 games, time to stand up.

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Dogs by 108 points
First goal to B Hall
BOG B Hall (10 goals, 15 marks)

BulldogBelle
28-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Dogs by 48 points.
1st goal = Giansiracusa
BOG = Gilbee

Please tackle hard and play with purpose.
Please don't get any injuries.

KT31
28-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Dogs by 12
1st goal - Hall
BOG - Griff

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Dogs by 38
first goal: Grant
BOG: Boyd

becmatty
28-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Ward looking great. Grant too.

Roughead injured shoulder (slipped?) - strapped and okay though
Griffen injured knee (direct knock?) - stapped and okay
Jones bloody nose (reported to be broken)

comrade
28-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Roughead injured hand (stomped on?)
Griffen injured knee (direct knock?)

Hope they are okay...

FFS.

Keep him on the bench.

comrade
28-08-2010, 08:43 PM
26 tackles to qtr time - on track for 80.

Good.

How's Griff?

SPower
28-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Came back on so must be OK.

Chicago1
28-08-2010, 08:49 PM
This is the quarter. The last two matches we've been outscored 16 goals to 1 in the second quarter.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:02 PM

Roughead injured shoulder (slipped?) - strapped and okay though
Griffen injured knee (direct knock?) - stapped and okay
Jones bloody nose (reported to be broken)

Wards toughness has been good as usual, his disposal has been deplorable.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Trying to do way too much with the ball.
Griffrens workrate has been fantastic so far.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Fantastic goal by Brodie Moles, kicked off the deck!

Chicago1
28-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Six goals up. I'm feeling better now. Grant 3 goals... so far.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Grant is killing them on the lead, just too quick. 3rd goal now.

We're slowly working our way into some form.
EVeritt is not putting his best foor forward, has had about 3 or four panicky blunders.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Lake is really struggling with that hip injury.. and apparently a bit of a quad problem. GEtting alot of physio and spending time on the bike to keep warm.
Back on the ground now, but this has to be another big concern for us going into the finals.

For mine we're still having problems in the middle of the ground. too many times the bombers are tending to getting lower and harder at the ball in dispute.
As i write though, Ward has just gone very hard at a contested ball which has ended up with us winning the contest, getting it forward for another mark and goal on the lead to GRant. 4 goals to Grant.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Everitt is deadset having a complete howler of a game.

Lake looks as mobile as my grandmother at the moment, can hardly jump.

becmatty
28-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Grant is killing them on the lead, just too quick. 3rd goal now.

EVeritt is not putting his best foor forward, has had about 3 or four panicky blunders.

YHF, I think you have mentioned our best and worst to date.

Grant's ability to take the front position and accellerate away has been outstanding. Importantly, his conversion has been excellent and technically looking a lot better with his approach from set shots.

As for Everitt, his disposal has been lazy and a few stupid and unnecessary efforts - light punch to opponents stomach, lack of awareness in contested situations, poor selection from stopages. I fear his spot is in danger unless he turns things around.

Regarding Lake, he is clearly restricted with his hip and is rushing his disposal. Cot us the late goal.

Agree that we're slowly working our way into some form; class is showing, though little lapses costing us and will be made to pay in finals. We have the Bombers on te ropes and need to convert this into a 70+ point win.

Chicago1
28-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Five goals to four in that quarter. At least that's better than the last two weeks. Yeah... Everitt has not been impressive. OK... he's been woeful.

DOG GOD
28-08-2010, 09:28 PM
We will need a HUGE amount of improvement from this for next week. Looks like Lake will be playing the finals series at nowhere near required fitness.

comrade
28-08-2010, 09:32 PM
We will need a HUGE amount of improvement from this for next week. Looks like Lake will be playing the finals series at nowhere near required fitness.

Why wouldn't we just give him a week off to freshen up?

Rance Fan
28-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Gee i hope Mitch and Moles aint in next week! They seem to be struggling, sadly.

Rance Fan
28-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Grant and Jones showing great signs. Does anyone know if Boyd is injured?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:38 PM
YHF, I think you have mentioned our best and worst to date.

Grant's ability to take the front position and accellerate away has been outstanding. Importantly, his conversion has been excellent and technically looking a lot better with his approach from set shots.

As for Everitt, his disposal has been lazy and a few stupid and unnecessary efforts - light punch to opponents stomach, lack of awareness in contested situations, poor selection from stopages. I fear his spot is in danger unless he turns things around.

Regarding Lake, he is clearly restricted with his hip and is rushing his disposal. Cot us the late goal.

Agree that we're slowly working our way into some form; class is showing, though little lapses costing us and will be made to pay in finals. We have the Bombers on te ropes and need to convert this into a 70+ point win.

Yep Grant's best game for us so far. And for once his kicking has been dead straight- maybe one player who's confidence is turning around?

Griffen has been another who I've really liked tonight. Was expected to step up in Cooney's absence and is really hitting the contest at full pace and his repeat efforts have been just what we need from a guy who absolutely has to be our gun come finals time.
Gia's work off the ball in his stints in the midfield have been good too, lots of shepherds and blocks for his teammates.

EVeritt is the one player in our squad who just cannot afford to give these sort of performances, he is on shaky ground as it is, and this does nothing to give the Match Committee any semblance of confidence in him going forward.
Cross as usual goes hard, but his disposal like Boyd's has been ordinary. Boyd is also getting pushed away in contests too easily, tackles not sticking too. REally need him to find some confidence and form.

Overall I haven't seen anything so far that suggest we are going to trouble Collingwood, and just doing at the moment what is expected against an ordinary Dons.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Grant and Jones showing great signs. Does anyone know if Boyd is injured?

just looks down on confidence to me, moving okay

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Griffen just gone off, as has Williams.. dont know the details or how serious.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Williams okay. but Griffen looks like he's in some trouble with a bad knee.
not good at all, doesn't seem like he can put any weight on it at all. Looks like just a heavy knock to the knee, as opposed to a ligament.
Terible news.

Rance Fan
28-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Why the hell did they risk Lake playing this week????????????
Good to see Ward and Williams playing well...Everitts trying but to many errors.
Next week will be alot tougher and contested footy....unsure we can bring it??

becmatty
28-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Gee i hope Mitch and Moles aint in next week! They seem to be struggling, sadly.

Both have been good!

I think the spotlight will be on Everitt and Addison ahead of those two.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Why the hell did they risk Lake playing this week????????????
Good to see Ward and Williams playing well...Everitts trying but to many errors.
Next week will be alot tougher and contested footy....unsure we can bring it??

Ward effort good, but unfortunately he cannot hit the broad side of a barn by foot at the moment, and under no pressure misses an easy target that would've been a certain goal, and ends up going back down the other end for a goal.

Griffen's knee on ice, and gone for the game.

comrade
28-08-2010, 09:56 PM

If Griff is unavailable next week, it proves that God is a tosser. Sorry to the religious types out there.

Rance Fan
28-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Both have been good!

Those two are ordinary also.
Hahn cant jump, cant run, cant turn, cant kick to a target
Moles tries hard, but is one paced, plays on always when not needed, and mostly just bombs it long.

Well thats how i see it.... each to there own, be interested to see what others think

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Both have been good!

Query still on Hahn next week against a much more mobile Collingwood forward line I reckon becmatty, but he's done okay tonight.
As the game's worn on, Moles has improved, just executed a nice pick up off the deck that has resulted in a Eagleton goal.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 09:59 PM
If Griff is unavailable next week, it proves that God is a tosser. Sorry to the religious types out there.

preaching to the converted here, pardon the pun.

Rance Fan
28-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Ward effort good, but unfortunately he cannot hit the broad side of a barn by foot at the moment, and under no pressure misses an easy target that would've been a certain goal, and ends up going back down the other end for a goal.

I agree with you on Ward, come finals that will kill us. Griffen should of been rested this game...there was no need for him to play, its a nothing game.

Rance Fan
28-08-2010, 10:02 PM
I guess its hard to line up all this compared to a finals intensity and pressure. Hope we can come thru, maybe all we need to do is kick straight in order to beat Collingwood!

LostDoggy
28-08-2010, 10:05 PM
We don't seem to be doing the small things defensively to win contests that we should. We are giving some of these away far too easily. Collingwood would cut us to ribbons on this effort, by winning the contested footy and then opening us up. We have lost contests by players going to ground, overunning the ball, and all flying instead of someone staying down and manning up. Are we tired mentally and physically? We cannot afford to play Hahn again, surely...just too slow. And Lake is falling over and going to ground and taking himself out of the physical contest.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree with you on Ward, come finals that will kill us. Griffen should of been rested this game...there was no need for him to play, its a nothing game.

Disagree, on Griffen, he should have always played tonight. It's unfortunate he's hurt his knee, but with the way we're travelling we need to get game time and confidence into as many of our key playes as possible.

DOG GOD
28-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Could griff's injury be a medial ligament? it really doesnt look good. Nothing i have seen tonight gives me confidence for next week i'm afraid. If we were playing a team in the 8 the scores would be reversed.

becmatty
28-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Williams seems okay despite going down clutching his knee (patella is sliding around). He is walking and applying weight to it. A good sign.

Griff's knee is iced, but he too is walking (maybe not structural). Limp not too bad and I would imagine he would have the tracksuit on and on his bum if it was a serious one. Lets hope he is okay for next week or the following match...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Could griff's injury be a medial ligament? it really doesnt look good. Nothing i have seen tonight gives me confidence for next week i'm afraid. If we were playing a team in the 8 the scores would be reversed.

Not sure but it just looks red and swollen, which I think is as a result of copping a cork on it earlier in the game. At least I'm crossing everything I've got that this is the case.

Agree, nothing special from us that is going to cause Collingwood any sleepless nights.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Williams seems okay despite going down clutching his knee. He is walking and applying weight to it. A good sign.

Griff's knee is iced, but he too is walking. Limp not too bad and I would imagine he would have the tracksuit on and on his bum if it was a serious one. Lets hope he is okay for next week or the following match...

they're saying patella problems for Williams.. hopefully can be managed, but probably going to need some work come season end.

comrade
28-08-2010, 10:22 PM
they're saying patella problems for Williams.. hopefully can be managed, but probably going to need some work come season end.

So our two key defenders are going in to the first final injured, and we're missing our best stopper?

September is going to be awesome!

ledge
28-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Ward has the worse disposal i have ever seen!

comrade
28-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Just saw Grant's fifth goal. Serious class.

ledge
28-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Grant has come of age

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Ward has the worse disposal i have ever seen!

it's no better or worse than Boyd tonight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Commentators have just said, we've lost the tackle count, and contested possies to the Bombers. I'd also wager our disposal efficiency is below AFL par as well.

Good times ahead.. good times......:(

comrade
28-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Commentators have just said, we've lost the tackle count, and contested possies to the Bombers. I'd also wager our disposal efficiency is below AFL par as well.

Good times ahead.. good times......:(

We had 26 tackles in the first quarter :)

We've had 30 tackles in the next three :o

DOG GOD
28-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah, not too sure what to make of it. We're really struggling to run and tackle. Turnovers were absolutely shocking tonight. Boyd and Ward in particular were woeful.

Grant and Jones had really good games.

I fear the worse for Griff, and Lake and Williams are going to struggle to be fit next week.

Chicago1
28-08-2010, 10:44 PM
At least we won. Now for next week... Going back to bed now at 6.45am Sat.

comrade
28-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Rocket sounds pretty gloomy.

ReLoad
29-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Rockets post match was like a funeral, the interview on channel 10 was the truth for all plain to see.
Malthouse's mob are now primed, they had the loss they needed :/

We are clearly carrying too many injured players, and carrying too many guys whose form smells worse than a Werribee duck.

See the body language on some of the guys? holy cow batman, this is ugly.

To me, given we were are at, I think a Prelim is about as good as we can hope for.

FlightoftheCallanWards
29-08-2010, 12:24 AM
Its all doom and gloom in here which is understandable, but I'm going to keep the confidence up. Collingwood have looked average the last couple of weeks and we just need to have the tackling pressure we applied in the first quarter tonight. Finals almost rests teams' form.

Must I say that the mancrush I had for J.Grant is developing. Makes picking up his match worn, signed guernsey in the auctions at the end of last year for $70 look not too bad :D

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Must I say that the mancrush I had for J.Grant is developing. Makes picking up his match worn, signed guernsey in the auctions at the end of last year for $70 look not too bad :D

I kept telling my Dad week after week about Grant, then he finally debuted against Carlton last year. He looked at me like i was crazy talking this guy up, he has changed he tune this season though :)

The Coon Dog
29-08-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't think I have enjoyed a win as little as I did tonight.

Watching mistake after mistake was just torture.

Turnovers by both teams would have have to have been an embarrassment, particularly the lack of pressure so many were made under.

Players running around the back to pick up a cheap handpass, putting themselves on their non preferred foot where they were then caught like rabbits in the headlights.

Callan Ward butchered it so often tonight by foot, clearly he's hampered.

Brodie Moles refuses to take the first option & then is helpless as everything around him unravels.

Brian seems to be reverting back to when he used to continually have brain fades.

Liam Jones in the second quarter took 3 marks in a row & hit a Bomber with his kick each time!

It was awful there tonight & if we play like that next week we'll lose by 258 goals!!

Sedat
29-08-2010, 12:46 AM
His field kicking was poor on occasions but his attack at the contest was fanatical tonight - was good to see him with his mojo back for the kamikaze stuff. He is one player who will step it up with the increased intensity of finals football.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2010, 12:47 AM
I don't think I have enjoyed a win as little as I did tonight.

Watching mistake after mistake was just torture.

Turnovers by both teams would have have to have been an embarrassment, particularly the lack of pressure so many were made under.

Players running around the back to pick up a cheap handpass, putting themselves on their non preferred foot where they were then caught like rabbits in the headlights.

Brodie Moles refuses to take the first option & then is helpless as everything around him unravels.

Brian seems to be reverting back to when he used to continually have brain fades.

Liam Jones in the second quarter took 3 marks in a row & hit a Bomber with his kick each time!

It was awful there tonight & if we play like that next week we'll lose by 258 goals!!

Agree with much of that.

The million dollar question? How did it go so bad so quick? We were looking OK. We beat two finals teams in Freo and Carlton by 10+ goals and looked slick. Our decision making and disposal skills have deteriorated to as bad as I can recall.

If we played that Essendon side five weeks ago, I'm almost certain that we would have won by close to 100pts.

AndrewP6
29-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Wow, it's like a morgue...

Sure, we were ordinary, but that often happens against an ordinary team. Grant's work tonight was terrific, he's really come a long way this year. I thought DFA's endeavour was great, we know of his deficiencies, but I really thought he threw himself at it well. Enjoyed Harbrow's running and penetration - am just going to enjoy him while we still have him :(. Having one key out of the middle, and one key player out of the backline was always going to throw us.

Having said that, and being uncharacteristically positive for a whole paragraph, I think we're knee deep in the big muddy next week. Oh well, at least we're not West Coast.

bornadog
29-08-2010, 01:50 AM
His field kicking was poor on occasions but his attack at the contest was fanatical tonight - was good to see him with his mojo back for the kamikaze stuff. He is one player who will step it up with the increased intensity of finals football.

I thought it was a great pre finals perfomance by Ward, back to something like his best. Yes his kicking accuracy could have been better, but picked up 26 possessions and really went in hard.

Overall not an exciting game but hey, its finals time and we have a big chance to go straight to the prelim.

AndrewP6
29-08-2010, 02:13 AM
Heading to my train tonight, was bailed up by a fellow Dog fan. Wanted to quiz me on The Scarf. Said his girlfriend loved it and he'd found her Xmas present! Had a quick chat, and pointed him in the direction of woof.net.au. The People's Scarf also got a bit of attention on the train....

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 02:21 AM
I have been a Jarrad Grant fan since the day we drafted him i even have his number on my back it's good to see him finally dominate a game well done Jarrad

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Great to watch both Williamstown and The Bulldogs play today/yesterday. Like to think this gives me a fair insight into next week. Willy have a bye so all listed players will be trying to impress on the track this week. After all, the 1st of September is the official start of Colliwobble Season.;)

G-Mo77
29-08-2010, 10:06 AM
It's sad that he biggest highlight of the game was watching the little league at half time. Those Sudanese boys have got some skill! :eek:

It was a dead game so I wasn't expecting that much anyway. Grant made it interesting.

Jasper
29-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Interesting game tonight:

Grant came of age tonight, and looks like he could be anything, and could be our X factor in that he looks like he could tear a game apart.
Murphy found form and looked good
We look way too top heavy and the team balance will need to adjust with two of Hahn, Jones and Everitt to go for smaller running players.
Great to see Harbrow and Addison in forward line adding defensive forward pressure, and helping lock the ball in. I liked Addison's game, and I really liked Harbrow's long leading and chasing.
Essendon's first two goals came from Hardingham's excellent work, he beat his opponent for speed - his opponent? Mitch Hahn. Hahn reprieved when Hardingham moved back to cover Hooker
Ward and Boyd's disposal poor. I think both need to play more within their limitations. Eg rather than spearing kicks with little margin for error, float them like Crossy. Boyd in particular selects options that an elite kicker could perform, but he is just ordinary to average and buggers things up.
Moles' awareness and disposal under pressure is poor, and this problem will be more prnounced in an intense final - unfortunately there are little options to replace him
Eagleton was given space tonight and was impressive. Next week he'll be given no space, and you'd think he will struggle
Jones struggled and seems to need a rest. Everitt was ordinary. Gilbee continues to struggle with his kicking
Fingers crossed on Griffen, Wood, Higgins, Johnno, Lake and Williams.

There are some players in the club who tend to look for their mates rather than take the best option. Gia is an offender.

Finally, when I hear David King trying to rev up and jolly along Lake in a post game interview, I fear that many players are already beaten in their heads before the game begins. Eade needs to do something about this.

The Pie Man
29-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Rocket sounds pretty gloomy.

Dead set glum wasn't he? One positive (in the later presser) was that all of Griff, Tom & Rough should be available next week.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Some quick thoughts:

Murphy's best game for a while IMO. His intensity and willingness to apply defensive pressure was great. THAT was what we need next week again.

Grant is going to be a mega star if he keeps working hard. He won't get the same latitude next week, but I'm confident he can play a very important role in September. The rest looks to have done some good.

Whilst I agree with the consensus Everitt was poor early his work later was good. His little spot up kick to Hall on the lead was great. That's where he needs to be, leading up high and delivering it to about 35-50 out.

Hahn down back was OK against the Bombers but I'm not convinced it will work against Collingwood? He can't just play on Leigh Brown or the resting ruckman and I'm not sure he can go with a Dawes or a Cloke? But I guess he'll have too.....

Gia deep forward gives me concerns. A few times he dropped a mark or didn't quite get something right. It's a shame Hill hasn't come on again this year because although I'd prefer to see him on a wing, he can offer more than any of our other smalls playing deep at the moment.

I love Crossy. Was prepared to kick more last night, and although turned a few over generally was fairly good for mine.

I thought Ward was good, but he's carrying too much bulk around his butt. His attack his good, but just isn't moving well and his disposal was down a little - although also kicked some very good ones for mine too.

I hope Addison gets a game again next week. Made a few mistakes, but he'll throw everything at Collingwood and hit every contest 100%.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I don't think him hampered, every time he butchers the ball he tends to try and absolutely drill them at the leading teammate.

When he doesn't do this his kickin is fine..

I think this needs to be addressed.. The way he is drilling the ball it may produce 1 or 2 great passes out of 5.. But it will produce some terible turnovers.

Sedat
29-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Ward and Boyd's disposal poor. I think both need to play more within their limitations. Eg rather than spearing kicks with little margin for error, float them like Crossy. Boyd in particular selects options that an elite kicker could perform, but he is just ordinary to average and buggers things up.
Could not agree more. Both of them (especially Boydy) try to thread the eye of a needle and spear it to the oncoming target. Invariably they stuff the kick up because neither of them are Nathan Buckley. Cross and Everitt spotted up targets inside forward 50 with unflashy kicks that allowed the target to run onto the ball with no risk and no fuss.

AndrewP6
29-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Watching the replay, even more impressed with Murphy.Of all the shite luck we're having, him being in form is great for us.

LostDoggy
29-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Watching the replay, even more impressed with Murphy.Of all the shite luck we're having, him being in form is great for us.

Finally needs to have an imprint on a finals series, hopefully it's this season.