C: Nathan Eagleton, Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken
HF: Jarrad Grant, Mitch Hahn, Brad Johnson
F: Daniel Giansiracusa, Barry Hall, Andrew Hooper
Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Ryan Griffen
I/C: Dylan Addison, Will Minson, Ryan Hargrave, Callan Ward
Emg: Andrejs Everitt, Brodie Moles, Josh Hill

In: Hooper, Wood
Out: Tim Callan, Shaun Higgins

New: Andrew Hooper (North Ballarat Rebels/rookie list)

Sydney Swans

B: Tadhg Kennelly, Ted Richards, Rhyce Shaw
HB: Nick Malceski, Heath Grundy, Martin Mattner
C: Nick Smith, Brett Kirk, Jarrad McVeigh
HF: Daniel Hannebery, Adam Goodes, Josh Kennedy
F: Trent Dennis-Lane, Daniel Bradshaw, Ryan O'Keefe
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Kieren Jack
I/C: Lewis Jetta, Ben McGlynn, Jarred Moore, Mike Pyke
Emg: Paul Bevan, Jesse White, Brett Meredith

In: McGlynn, Bradshaw
Out: Paul Bevan, Jesse White

Prince Imperial
09-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Callan unlucky in my view - not even named as an emergency after a solid defensive effort:confused:. The poor form of others swept under the carpet.

comrade
09-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Silly move by Sydney to drop White, IMO. They could have really stretched us down back, forcing Hahn to again struggle against a bigger opponent and mess with our forward line structure.

Oh well, good luck to Hooper.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2010, 06:11 PM
One (possibly two) of Everitt, Moles and Hill should have played. At the very least, Moles should have got a game over Eagleton.

At least Hooper will play.

Ozza
09-09-2010, 06:12 PM
Couple of blokes hard done by;

Callan was probably in the best half of the side last week.
Paul Bevan kicked 3 goals for Sydney!

Everitt and Moles are pretty stiff to not get a final with the team in the shape it is (unless they fluke one next week).

Remi Moses
09-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Don't get it . Callan great defensive effort last week,gets dumped and the likes of Mitch and DFA retain their places!!!
Great to see Hooper in.
Just staggered

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
hooper!!!!!!!!

cannot wait to to how he goes!!:d:d:d

jazzadogs
09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Hahn should have gone instead of Callan. At least Tim put in an effort, and beat his opponent on most occasions.

Would have liked Moles for Eagle. Offer the same things.

Hoops...take the chance and run with it!

And from the vision I saw of Bradshaw the other night, I can't see him playing. Might have just been a bad bit of footage, but he didn't look right to me. At least it could counteract Johnno, IF he plays like he did last week.

Sedat
09-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Sydney's midfield should be easier to contain than Collingwood's. Apart from Hannebery (who you'd imagine Picken will lock down on), all of Smith, Kennedy, Kirk, Bolton, McVeigh are one-paced and defensively-oriented. Jack has some toe but he is also defensive first and foremost. Jetta is lightning quick but you can draw the line there.

Hooper is a terrific selection against Sydney, who have 4 running mid sized defenders that will need to feel defensive pressure all night - DFA should get a defensive forward lock-down job this week as well.

Jones instead of Hahn and Moles over Eagleton would have been bolder selections.

chef
09-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Silly move by Sydney to drop White, IMO. They could have really stretched us down back, forcing Hahn to again struggle against a bigger opponent and mess with our forward line structure.

Oh well, good luck to Hooper.

Very happy they dropped White:), they could have had a big advantage there.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Two good ins.

I still think Everitt > Minson or Hahn and Jones > Hahn

azabob
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Frustrated Hahn and Eagleton are playing ahead of Everitt, Moles and Hill.

I am getting the feeling that both Eagleton and Hahn will be on our list next year.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 06:35 PM
MC once again have failed

bornadog
09-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Who will pick up Goodes?

mighty_west
09-09-2010, 06:36 PM
And from the vision I saw of Bradshaw the other night, I can't see him playing. Might have just been a bad bit of footage, but he didn't look right to me. At least it could counteract Johnno, IF he plays like he did last week.

Surely Bradshaw won't play? he hasn't played since, what, round 9 or 10'ish? a big forward....wow, plus dropping White, extraordinary, Rocket must be rubbing his hands together.

Great to see Hooper play, and to be named on the ground as well, big vote of confidence.

Grantysghost
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Reported on SEN that Callan was injured?

mighty_west
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Who will pick up Goodes?

Easton?

chef
09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Who will pick up Goodes?

Hopefully Williams.

angelopetraglia
09-09-2010, 06:39 PM
We automatically IMHO look more mobile and faster with Wood and Hooper in for Tim Callan (moves like his feet are in concrete) and Higgins (not normally quick, but has slowed down to a crawl with his illness).

bornadog
09-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Easton?

I hope not. We need his dash down the ground. He would make mince meat of Wood. I am afraid it will have to be Shaggy.

angelopetraglia
09-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Frustrated Hahn and Eagleton are playing ahead of Everitt, Moles and Hill.

I am getting the feeling that both Eagleton and Hahn will be on our list next year.

I'm happy to see the Eagle play this week. I'm tipping he will get some space and beat up on the Swans. Did you see how much space and time the Swans gave the Carlton outside runners at times in last weeks game?

However, if we win, he should be immediately dropped. He will not touch it against the Saints style of football who deny you any space and put enormous pressure on the ball carrier.

The Coon Dog
09-09-2010, 06:44 PM
MC once again have failed

Unless of course we win, then they haven't failed. Bit early to call.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 06:49 PM
hooper!!!!!!!!

cannot wait to to how he goes!!:d:d:d

+1

Great to see Hooper in, disappointed to see people being carried again.

mighty_west
09-09-2010, 06:50 PM
I hope not. We need his dash down the ground. He would make mince meat of Wood. I am afraid it will have to be Shaggy.

Do you honestly think Shaggy can get the job done though? does he play tight enough to hinder Goode's influence? [that said not many can stop Goodes, he is a gun].

I just liked a few of Easton's jobs down back, kept Jay Schultz down and did a good job on Tippett.

bornadog
09-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Do you honestly think Shaggy can get the job done though? does he play tight enough to hinder Goode's influence? [that said not many can stop Goodes, he is a gun].

I just liked a few of Easton's jobs down back, kept Jay Schultz down and did a good job on Tippett.

Need someone with a bit of height and strength. Maybe Williams but depends on the matchups.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Very happy they dropped White:), they could have had a big advantage there.

White in for Bradshaw?

GVGjr
09-09-2010, 07:00 PM
Was it Ted Hopkins for the Blues that can in for his first game of the season in the finals and kicked a 4 or 5 goals?

Good luck to Hooper

Doc26
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Unless of course we win, then they haven't failed. Bit early to call.

So long as they don't entirely view the recipe for any success we may have against the Swans this week against the Saints in week 3. I'm not at all comfortable with Hahn remaining as although he may be most determined he is simply not capable of making most contests to inflict any of this determination. Although he's all out of love I would've gone Dre instead, even Jones.

Looks like the MC have elected for attitude over effect.

Ozza
09-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Sydney's midfield should be easier to contain than Collingwood's. Apart from Hannebery (who you'd imagine Picken will lock down on), all of Smith, Kennedy, Kirk, Bolton, McVeigh are one-paced and defensively-oriented. Jack has some toe but he is also defensive first and foremost. Jetta is lightning quick but you can draw the line there.

Hooper is a terrific selection against Sydney, who have 4 running mid sized defenders that will need to feel defensive pressure all night - DFA should get a defensive forward lock-down job this week as well.

Jones instead of Hahn and Moles over Eagleton would have been bolder selections.

Completely agree Sedat. Good calls.

**Also, whenever I see your alias come up I think of Terry Wallace screaming out Year of the dogs on the training track - "SEDAT.....SEDAT.....IF YOU CAN'T KICK THE BALL - GET OFF THE GROUND!"**

Sedat
09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
"SEDAT.....SEDAT.....IF YOU CAN'T KICK THE BALL - GET OFF THE GROUND!"**
You missed an expletive in there somewhere :D

lemmon
09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Im starting too think the MC haven't been watching the same games as the rest of us. The game has past Hahn and Eagle, surely Everitt should be making his finals debut.

EasternWest
09-09-2010, 07:20 PM

Geez if Hargrave plays on Goodes the league may have to forward date Brownlow votes from this game to round 1 next year. That's a match up that occurs in my nightmares. I'd rather have Freddie Kreuger visit than this happen.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I cannot believe that hahn and eagleton are still in the side, in fact in absolutely dumbfounded.

The MC must be masochists because this could get quite painful. With Jones, Everitt, Hill and Moles all available, there can be no justification for keeping these 2 in the side.

Lets not forget that Johnno is injured, so again we start behind the 8 ball with more passengers than an airbus 380.

If this doesn't come off then serious questions will be asked of the coaching panel, starting with head coach.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Very underwhelmed with the changes.
You look at Geelong who dropped Mackie and Blake. They're prepared to make the tough call.

Then you look at our changes which is just a revolving door of the same players. Chalk and Cheese.

ReLoad
09-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Callan is injured, so thats why he is out.

How the hell Hahn got a game is totally beyond me.

Jones should have also come in tot he team too, Ill be curious to see if roughy plays for willy on saturday.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Jones/Everitt/Moles out yet Hahn and Eagles are still in.

Show us the reason why boys, go out there and put some bloody effort into it to make us stop doubting how you are still in that starting 22.

SlimPickens
09-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Easton to play on Goodes...I think he is one of those blokes you set a task and he'll be hell bent to succeed.

I would have liked to have seen Jones get a game but with the predictability of our MC, I am not surprised this didn't occur.

Mantis
09-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Our team selection reminds me a little of the Simpsons episode that pitted Bart up against a hampster.

We are Bart in that we keep using the same plan (team) over and over again and have a look of surprise on our face when we don't get the treat ( a win).

Hopefully we have what it takes to win this week and can change things up for the PF because we can't keep taking this team into games against the very good teams.

bornadog
09-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Easton to play on Goodes...I think he is one of those blokes you set a task and he'll be hell bent to succeed.

I would have liked to have seen Jones get a game but with the predictability of our MC, I am not surprised this didn't occur.

How do you propose Wood can give him 10cm and 14kg start?

mighty_west
09-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Height is irrelavant with Goodes imo, he isn't a KPP, has he ever used his height to his advantage? plus Easton has a decent leap anyway, as for weight, Wood did pretty well on a few other blokes alot heavier than himself.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 08:13 PM
How the hell is Hahn,Eagleton,Addison,Minson still in the team.
Eade would have to be the most spineless coach i have ever seen.
If sydney beat us does that mean Eade is sacked?cause according to Smorgan @ the start of the year he was saying second is nolonger good enough,he's sick of just missing out.
even if we beat sydney i still think its time for change i don't see passion in Eade its all negative.
Negative selections negative plan and it certainly has rubbed off on our players.
The selection should have been leave Callan in bring in Hooper Everett Moles.

GUTLESS EADE!!!!

Greystache
09-09-2010, 08:13 PM

The same way he's played against similar sized players for Willi, using his speed, leap, and exceptional body strength.

Desipura
09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Very disappointed with the lack of changes, its going to take a big effort to win.

Jasper
09-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Anyone ever seen Groundhog Day?? Remember the irritating tune that was played at the start of the day that is always going to end in failure (I got you Babe) Eagle and Hahn are that tune...

I am not surprised, but surprisingly shattered, I was really hoping Eade would roll the dice more.

Clearly if Eade remains at the club you would have to think that Everitt and Hill would be requesting trades and how could you blame them?

Good luck with immobile players like Minson, Hahn and Johnson all playing, along with partly fit Williams and Lake.

Flamethrower
09-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Mitch Hahn has effectively replaced Dale Morris. He wont be dropped until Dale is back.

Nathan Eagleton is a useful weapon against midfields like Sydney, who lack the genuine speed to run and spread from stoppages.

I am very happy that Andrew Hooper finally got his chance, and am equally pleased that Hammertime (Easton Wood ) is back.

Will Minson must play to give Ben Hudson help - we were destroyed against the Swans last time with only 1 ruckman, even with Mumford being injured.

Brodie Moles is very unlucky, but the MC obviously thought that Addison was more important in a stopping role against a McGlynn, Jetta, Moore or the like.

It is good to Sydney have fallen for our mistake of playing underdone players. O'Keefe is already carrying a groin injury, and now with Bradshaw being included, that is a big risk by Roos.

boydogs
09-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Interesting that Hargrave is starting on the bench. Good move I reckon, we have to be a lot better transitioning from defense than we have been recently, the message that we have to hit targets had to be sent

comrade
09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I7NHCy13ZLk

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 08:44 PM
How the hell is Hahn,Eagleton,Addison,Minson still in the team.
Eade would have to be the most spineless coach i have ever seen.
If sydney beat us does that mean Eade is sacked?cause according to Smorgan @ the start of the year he was saying second is nolonger good enough,he's sick of just missing out.
even if we beat sydney i still think its time for change i don't see passion in Eade its all negative.
Negative selections negative plan and it certainly has rubbed off on our players.
The selection should have been leave Callan in bring in Hooper Everett Moles.

GUTLESS EADE!!!!

How bout you just wait till Sunday for the name calling coz if you do I have a very strong feeling your thoughts will be different Dale. Im backing Mitch Hahn for the first and last goal and I really hope he gets to stay in the Forward Line the whole game. My thoughts on him havnt been to nice lately but that goal he kicked last week just gave me a reminding hint just what we have missed and Im absolutely backing him if its the last time then so be it.

Jasper
09-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Mitch Hahn has effectively replaced Dale Morris. He wont be dropped until Dale is back.

Nathan Eagleton is a useful weapon against midfields like Sydney, who lack the genuine speed to run and spread from stoppages.

When you say Hahn effectively replacing Morris can I assume you mean 'in actual fact' rather than um...'good'??

And when you say Sydney lacks speed and putting Eagle in the same sentence as a contrast, can I assume you are referring to the Eagle of a few years ago and not the current Eagle who disposes of the ball as quickly as he can and doesn't back himself to run away from contests because he no longer can...??

Jasper
09-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I7NHCy13ZLk

Selection night is always 5.59 on the Bulldogs Groundhog Day clock...:o

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
How bout you just wait till Sunday for the name calling coz if you do I have a very strong feeling your thoughts will be different Dale. Im backing Mitch Hahn for the first and last goal and I really hope he gets to stay in the Forward Line the whole game. My thoughts on him havnt been to nice lately but that goal he kicked last week just gave me a reminding hint just what we have missed and Im absolutely backing him if its the last time then so be it.

It doesn't matter if Hahn kicks 5 goals on saturday (would be nice) he does very few good performances he consistantly puts in bad performances. I agree if he is going to play then play him in the forward line which brings me back to Eade and his bad decisions,we can all see it how come he can't?

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
It doesn't matter if Hahn kicks 5 goals on saturday (would be nice) he does very few good performances he consistantly puts in bad performances. I agree if he is going to play then play him in the forward line which brings me back to Eade and his bad decisions,we can all see it how come he can't?

Dont know, maybe we dont know as much as we think. Is it frustrating? Yes. But we got no choice but to back them in. So thats what im doing Dale.

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Our team selection reminds me a little of the Simpsons episode that pitted Bart up against a hampster.

We are Bart in that we keep using the same plan (team) over and over again and have a look of surprise on our face when we don't get the treat ( a win).

Hopefully we have what it takes to win this week and can change things up for the PF because we can't keep taking this team into games against the very good teams.

Ha ha, that is an outstanding post.

On the team, do you think that both coaches are playing a bit of silly buggers? Surely White will come in for Bradshaw and I don't think Rocket ever uses permanent marker on his whiteboard.

Wow, random google image searches often end in complete random gold. I am not sure I know what the hell is going on here, but it kinda works...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5xroHpIAk3Y/SPwF4YX1iVI/AAAAAAAABY4/-YkJ3VCG09Y/s400/Lisa+Snellings+Poppets+in+Fake+Pants+the+Lineup.JPG

The Adelaide Connection
09-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Dont know, maybe we dont know as much as we think. Is it frustrating? Yes. But we got no choice but to back them in. So thats what im doing Dale.

+1

It has been briefly mentioned in another thread, but did anyone catch Rockets response to the question about if he knew why the team were playing so badly?

He kinda paused, said "yes" and then when further questioned he said something like "I am not willing to go into that publicly at this stage".

I am suprised that more hasn't been said about this as it could be anything from minor to really, really bad. But my stab in the dark is that seeing as Callan (the host of the plague that went through the club) took over three weeks to get over it, all the other blokes that got it (which is quite a few) probably haven't been 100%. Might explain why we seem to start alright in the first and third quarters, but get well and truly belted in the 2nd and last.

Whatever it is, it probably has affected selections in ways we can't see. I think we just have to hope that it'll be alright on the night.

LostDoggy
09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
+1

It has been briefly mentioned in another thread, but did anyone catch Rockets response to the question about if he knew why the team were playing so badly?

He kinda paused, said "yes" and then when further questioned he said something like "I am not willing to go into that publicly at this stage".
I am suprised that more hasn't been said about this as it could be anything from minor to really, really bad. But my stab in the dark is that seeing as Callan (the host of the plague that went through the club) took over three weeks to get over it, all the other blokes that got it (which is quite a few) probably haven't been 100%. Might explain why we seem to start alright in the first and third quarters, but get well and truly belted in the 2nd and last.

Whatever it is, it probably has affected selections in ways we can't see. I think we just have to hope that it'll be alright on the night.

Have actually been thinking about that on and off all week. It didnt look or feel good at all and as usual rumours havnt helped.

Cyberdoggie
09-09-2010, 10:04 PM
One (possibly two) of Everitt, Moles and Hill should have played. At the very least, Moles should have got a game over Eagleton.

At least Hooper will play.

Are you kidding!, semi finals when the game is done and dusted is where Eagleton turns on the after burners! I'm fully expecting him to kick 3 goals when the contest is over.
:D

SlimPickens
09-09-2010, 11:15 PM

I think Wood has shown he can play on a bigger opponent, he also has the athleticism to go with Goodes. Not to mention his refusal to go to ground in a contested situation.

I'm backing the kid to at least have a crack at Goodes, previously players like Bryce Gibbs have done a good job on him. Bryce gives away plenty of height and weight to Goodesy. If you get up in his space and nag him Goodes has shown he has a short fuse, set Wood the task and who knows what can happen?

stefoid
10-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Go Hoop!

bornadog
10-09-2010, 12:24 AM
I think Wood has shown he can play on a bigger opponent, he also has the athleticism to go with Goodes. Not to mention his refusal to go to ground in a contested situation.

I'm backing the kid to at least have a crack at Goodes, previously players like Bryce Gibbs have done a good job on him. Bryce gives away plenty of height and weight to Goodesy. If you get up in his space and nag him Goodes has shown he has a short fuse, set Wood the task and who knows what can happen?

Goodes will make mince meat out of Wood.

Greystache
10-09-2010, 12:44 AM
Goodes will make mince meat out of Wood.

Got the tattslotto numbers while you're there?

jasopan
10-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Saw a few youtube vids of Hooper, can't wait to see him play on Saturday!

LostDoggy
10-09-2010, 10:23 AM
This is a side that should beat Sydney. The real test of the MC will be if we get the chance to face St Kilda again.