PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Saints!

Rance Fan
11-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Ok so who stops the following?

1Goddard
2Reiwoldt
3Hayes

Negate these guys and we are in with a shot!

I reckon...

1Hargrave/Wood or ...Everitt?
2Morris/Lake
3Boyd

Picken to go to Dal or Montana
Williams to Kosi
Milne - Wood/Hargrave

Mmmm Decisions

cambo
11-09-2010, 11:59 PM

1Goddard
2Reiwoldt
3Hayes

I reckon...

2Morris/Lake
3Boyd

Williams to Kosi
Milne - Wood/Hargrave

Mmmm Decisions
Why do we have to stop them wouldnt it be nice if they had to stop us, go for broke dogs!!!

boydogs
12-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Why do we have to stop them wouldnt it be nice if they had to stop us, go for broke dogs!!!

Agreed. Have to focus on kicking a score against the Saints.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Agreed. Have to focus on kicking a score against the Saints.

Before we do that, we have to focus on NOT turning the ball over. The Saints will kick an unbeatable score if we turn the ball over like we have done for the last month.
This is my biggest worry for next week. The Saints won't kill us for natural speed, but boy they will seem like speedsters if we turn the ball over to them, and Riewoldt will have a field day as they slice us up on the rebound.

I think we need to play as we did early on against them this year, with a minor adjustment- that we pick the moments to attack. Our problem last game was we went completely into our shell and lost all momentum, and then crumbled under the pressure.

boydogs
12-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Before we do that, we have to focus on NOT turning the ball over. The Saints will kick an unbeatable score if we turn the ball over like we have done for the last month.
This is my biggest worry for next week. The Saints won't kill us for natural speed, but boy they will seem like speedsters if we turn the ball over to them, and Riewoldt will have a field day as they slice us up on the rebound.

I think we need to play as we did early on against them this year, with a minor adjustment- that we pick the moments to attack. Our problem last game was we went completely into our shell and lost all momentum, and then crumbled under the pressure.

Absolutely, and I thought that we were 100% better tonight at locking the ball in our forward line. Even the holding the ball against Hooper was a great result, there were literally 6 Sydney players surrounding him before the next Bulldogs player trying to rip the ball away from him and run it down the other end, but he held on.

There were nowhere near as many balls into the forward line that were marked by the opposition uncontested and run back out again.

So long as we are not blindly accumulating forward 50 entries, we should be focusing on attack. St Kilda play their ultra defensive style because they struggle to kick a score, they rely on rebound to do it. That means you don't need to focus as much on stopping them as you do on effective forward 50 entries.

Rance Fan
12-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Yes we have to go for it and out gun em! But we also need to be accountable! Someone has to go to these guys at some stage and match up on em!

boydogs
12-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Yes we have to go for it and out gun em! But we also need to be accountable! Someone has to go to these guys at some stage and match up on em!

OK

1Goddard
2Reiwoldt
3Hayes

I reckon...

2Morris/Lake
3Boyd

Williams to Kosi
Milne - Wood/Hargrave

Mmmm Decisions

Wood to Goddard
Morris to Riewoldt else Williams
Cross head to head with Hayes
Picken to Montagna
Williams to Kosi else Lake
Hargrave to Milne

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I like Lake on Kosi as it gives Lake a lot more of the ball and be able to be an attacking defender

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I like Lake on Kosi as it gives Lake a lot more of the ball and be able to be an attacking defender

Mmmm, tasty! :)

LongWait
12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Turn the thing around - make them stop us! I saw a few signs of the Ballistic Bulldogs returning last night. Play with dash and dare. Throw caution to the wind I say. If we play the game on the Saints' terms we are toast.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I think the key is clean skills and I'm sure that's going to be the key for the next 2 games.

We had them beat last time so stick to that plan. I would man up as below
Gia to Goddard should have the motor to go with him and can really hurt on the way back
Williams to Riewoldt first crack happy for Nick to get plenty of it up on the wings but needs to be tight in the forward 50
Picken to Hayes we need to stop him as he is the heart and soul
Lake to Kosi he will pick up 25 touches as Kosi is a hack
Morris to Milne just keeps him out of the packs as the big saints forwards will try to bang the knees into him ever chance they get.

I would like to see Jonno, Grant, Mitch all play high and leave Bob and hall 2 out in the forward 50.

Flamethrower
12-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I am worried that if Tom Willams has to play most of the game on Riewoldt, Fred Fanning's record will be in danger. If Adam Goodes could kick, he could have kicked 8 and won the game for the Swans last night.

I am a big fan of Tommy but he just gets lost playing on these power running lead up forwards. He loves playing on the Buddy Franklins of the comp who want to make it a test of strength.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I hope I'm wrong but I am worried that if Tom Willams has to play most of the game on Riewoldt, Fred Fanning's record will be in danger. If Adam Goodes could kick, he could have kicked 8 and won the game for the Swans last night.

I am a big fan of Tommy but he just gets lost playing on these power running lead up forwards. He loves playing on the Buddy Franklins of the comp who want to make it a test of strength.

I think Williams has done a good job on Riewoldt in the past. I thought he did a good job on him in that game against the Saints when we drew with them a couple of years ago at Etihad. But he may have been sharing the responsibility with Morris that night. However, I think Williams is more than capable if he gets enough support.

Bumper Bulldogs
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM

Have a little faith, The MC will review the tapes and get that sorted out for the coming week, if it goes pair shape we also have plan "B" Morris. IMO he's been ok this year and he has done the job more often than not.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 01:22 PM

In last years PF Lake played on Kosi and did a very good job. He not only limited Kosi to a handful of touches he also set up quite a few of our forward thrusts... Lake was at the top of his game.

Fast forward 12 months and Lake is clearly struggling with his body and isn't the dominant force he was some time back. While Lake may still be able to contain Kosi we need him to be able to do more than that and at present that doesn't look likely.

bornadog
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Turn the thing around - make them stop us! I saw a few signs of the Ballistic Bulldogs returning last night. Play with dash and dare. Throw caution to the wind I say. If we play the game on the Saints' terms we are toast.

Thats what the coach told the players to do after half time.

The biggest issue for us will be who will kick the goals? We smashed the Swans with inside 50's but we couldn't score.

Mantis
12-09-2010, 01:34 PM
The biggest issue for us will be who will kick the goals? We smashed the Swans with inside 50's but we couldn't score.

The quality of delivery I50 was poor, but we didn't really have many avenues to goal except Hall until Murf was shifted.

bornadog
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
The quality of delivery I50 was poor, but we didn't really have many avenues to goal except Hall until Murf was shifted.

In the past midfielders have also kicked goals as well as the Johnno's, Akers etc, so we need the Griffens, Boyds and Wards to all contribute.

I agree the quality of delivery into the 50 was poor, but no one was presenting (other than Hall). Grant as has stated in other threads is overrawed by finals footy and needs a session with the sports pyscho, Hooper first gamer can't blame him, Gia played the perfect crumbing role.

The switch of Murphy to the forward line is going to be necessary again.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
If Morris is back he will go to Riewoldt - if not Williams is probably next but does anyone think Shaggy could do that job??

Who ever plays on Goodard needs to make him accountable - so we will need to play thru whom ever that might be..

Picken on Hayes - we need Boyd to play his natural game and be attacking rather than defensive..

We need to spread the St Kilda defensive zone, isolate them one on one with leg speed getting to Barry's contests. Gia, Grant even Hooper (if he gets another chance)

Love to see Murph play HF - was great to see him Mark turn and go last night!!!

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 02:57 PM
If Morris is back he will go to Riewoldt - if not Williams is probably next but does anyone think Shaggy could do that job??

Who ever plays on Goodard needs to make him accountable - so we will need to play thru whom ever that might be..

Picken on Hayes - we need Boyd to play his natural game and be attacking rather than defensive..

We need to spread the St Kilda defensive zone, isolate them one on one with leg speed getting to Barry's contests. Gia, Grant even Hooper (if he gets another chance)

Love to see Murph play HF - was great to see him Mark turn and go last night!!!

No.

Hargrave on Milne is a good match up for us I think. On talls, he's too panicky for mine.

LongWait
12-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Thats what the coach told the players to do after half time.

It's not always how often you get the ball inside 50 but how. Ballistic Bulldogs footy sees the ball enter the 50 really quickly, catching defenders off guard as they press up the ground. Gia, Murphy and Hall will be a real handfull for the Saints if the ball comes in quickly.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 08:50 PM

I know what you mean but a few times last night you could see Tommy make a massive run
to cover Goodes at the last moment when Goodes had got free, when he wasn't even Toms man. It made Tom look bad a couple of times but it wasn't his fault.