PDA

View Full Version : Infectious Andrew Hooper sends Western Bulldogs wild

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Mark Stevens
September 11, 2010

THE Western Bulldogs were not exaggerating when they declared first-gamer Andrew Hooper was worth the risk for some spark.

Hooper, all 172cm of him, had just five disposals last night - but he had a giant influence.

In the final 30 seconds of the second term, with Sydney seemingly in control, Hooper led out and received the slightest of pushes in the back.

The first finals debutant in 25 years gleefully took the free and wobbled a goal through from 40m.

He produced one of the celebrations of the year, fisting the air with the confidence of a 200-game veteran.

It was infectious.

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/infectious-andrew-hooper-sends-western-bulldogs-wild/story-e6frf9ox-1225918827127)

KT31
12-09-2010, 01:20 AM
It was infectious , I punched the air from 600klm away.

angelopetraglia
12-09-2010, 01:50 AM
Courage to play him first up in a final. IMHO it was the difference. Hooper kicking that goal before half time was the spark that got us going.

KT31
12-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Courage to play him first up in a final. IMHO it was the difference. Hooper kicking that goal before half time was the spark that got us going.

Agree totally and cerrtainly proves what a differance taking a chance makes.

boydogs
12-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Agree totally and cerrtainly proves what a differance taking a chance makes.

Absolutely. Just the fact you are taking a chance and trying something different creates hope

AndrewP6
12-09-2010, 01:57 AM
I might be the September Grinch, but I think Stevo has overstated Hoops' influence. Yes, the goal provided a great spark, but other things improved to get us back in the game and then in front. I thought it was a reasonable 1st game, but that's all. Here's hoping he backs up next week and has another good crack at it.

The Coon Dog
12-09-2010, 02:00 AM
Player number 944 since we entered the league in 1925.

KT31
12-09-2010, 02:04 AM
I might be the September Grinch, but I think Stevo has overstated Hoops' influence. Yes, the goal provided a great spark, but other things improved to get us back in the game and then in front. I thought it was a reasonable 1st game, but that's all. Here's hoping he backs up next week and has another good crack at it.

What did you want him to do , kick 6 goals and win it off hs boot ?
IMO just giving him a chance may have spurred on some players who have been below par thelast couple of weeks.

AndrewP6
12-09-2010, 02:10 AM
What did you want him to do , kick 6 goals and win it off hs boot ?
IMO just giving him a chance may have spurred on some players who have been below par thelast couple of weeks.

I didn't say he was poor, just that Stevo exaggerated his influence.

KT31
12-09-2010, 02:14 AM

Stevo may have overated his influence, but we won and IMO his selection may have helped.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I like the kid!
I totally agree with the statements that his goal turned some sort of mental block in their minds around, and even though I would not have admitted it at the time, that was the moment I thought "We got this".
Not sure if he'll play next week but I believe it was the taser in the arse the boys needed.

azabob
12-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Agree with you AndrewP6.

Mofra
12-09-2010, 11:00 AM
The stats say he didn't register a tackle. Shame, as he seemed to chase hard all night - although I though he looked lost in the first quarter, as you'd expect from a debutant. He did get a free for which Shaggy took the kick though, and was probably unlucky a couple of times too (neutralised a 2 on 1 contest to keep the ball in our F50, something we missed all year). Hopefully he keeps his spot.

mighty_west
12-09-2010, 11:31 AM
It was infectious , I punched the air from 600klm away.

I belted the hell out of the seat in front of me, the tips of my fingers are still throbbing, holding the icey cold longnecks afterwards eased the pain...:D

mighty_west
12-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Agreed, i thought that was the turning point in the game, seeing all the players run from everywhere was bloody great, it almost reminds of Hulk Hogan being totally down & out, then something clicks, he starts shaking, clenching the fists, and rises back from the dead, the spirit was back in the side.

Hotdog60
12-09-2010, 11:47 AM
You didn't see much of Hoops on TV, did he do a lot of presenting and was just over looked for Barry.

Just trying to Gage his work rate on the night.

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Hotdog60, Hoops ran & ran. He did what was asked of him. not too many touches but opened the zone up for the likes of Bazza.
Hoops was sorely missed at Willy tho, and may have been who they needed to get over the line.

After seeing both Willy teams bow out, it was exciting to have a win and proceed to our 3rd Prelim in a row.

AndrewP6
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
You didn't see much of Hoops on TV, did he do a lot of presenting and was just over looked for Barry.

Just trying to Gage his work rate on the night.

He did a bit, got mobbed a couple of times leading...actually thought a couple of other frees might've been paid.

AndrewP6
12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Agreed, i thought that was the turning point in the game, seeing all the players run from everywhere was bloody great, it almost reminds of Hulk Hogan being totally down & out, then something clicks, he starts shaking, clenching the fists, and rises back from the dead, the spirit was back in the side.

He's like the Hulkster, just way, way, way, way, way, way, way smaller. ;) Useless Trivia # 15,612 - He was born a few months before Wrestlemania VI, the site of the famous Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior battle.

comrade
12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Is it too harsh to nickname him Chunk?

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff251/thedreamdepot/chunk.gif

LostDoggy
12-09-2010, 02:21 PM
It's great to see a young player enthusiastic and committed. His celebration after his first goal was fantastic and great to see the excitement generated by it and the number of teammates that came to congratulate him. I remember another contest in the near the goal square where he put his body on the line and helped create a goal. He also showed that Sydney were worried about him as he led his opponent to the ball earning a couple of free kicks. I just hope he puts his head down and is able to continue to improve and become a regular in the side.

EasternWest
12-09-2010, 03:05 PM

No.

I tried to stop myself, but every time he was involved I kept shouting "go the little fat kid". :D

immortalmike
12-09-2010, 03:27 PM

"The Dogs are Hulking up!"

craigsahibee
12-09-2010, 03:47 PM
No.

I tried to stop myself, but every time he was involved I kept shouting "go the little fat kid". :D

I first saw Hoops at the intraclub game earlier this year and instinctively thought he had won a raffle where 1st prize was a chance to train with the team. :)

He didn't look like a league footballer back then, but I reckon he will be alright.

ratsmac
13-09-2010, 12:05 AM
The last time I saw a celebration like that was when Justin Charles kicked a goal to put us just 48 points down with five minutes to go in the last quarter. Charlesy loved a goal.

I thought he was good for us last night but I don't think he stay in the line up if Morris will be right.

mighty_west
13-09-2010, 11:31 AM
The last time I saw a celebration like that was when Justin Charles kicked a goal to put us just 48 points down with five minutes to go in the last quarter. Charlesy loved a goal.

I thought he was good for us last night but I don't think he stay in the line up if Morris will be right.

I thought his celebration was very Tyson Lane like, NO ONE enjoyed his own goal more so than Lane.

LostDoggy
13-09-2010, 12:13 PM

The Truffle Shuffle!! Love it!! :D