PDA

View Full Version : open season on Bambi and fluffy kittens.

Dancin' Douggy
19-09-2010, 11:46 PM
When Aker started taking pot shots at Johnno,
The term ‘Shooting Bambi’ was coined.

Now that we’ve failed in our third consecutive prelim I am going to declare open season on Bambis.

We are a very sentimental club. ( one of the reasons I love the club so much)
But I think we are probably TOO loyal to anyone who pulls on the red white and blue.
It's like they all become Bambi overnight.

We don’t have flags so we replace flags with our own mythology.

The Chris Grant 20c Legend is worth a flag to us.
Owning the Ted Whitten “Mr Football” legacy is like another flag to us.

We seem to have an incredibly solid and decent culture so we can't help but love our players.

Compared to the saints who share our ‘one flag’ history.
They always seem to have trouble makers and the whiff of scandal hovering over them.

BUT, to confront our sentimental streak,
I’m declaring open season on Bambis and here goes the first shots.

Daniel Cross. Incredibly brave and we all love him but we will never win a flag with him as a cornerstone of our midfield. Trade him while we can.

Boyd. See above. Identical sentiments. Trade him while we can.

I’m sick to death of going into finals campaigns with brave and selfless but ultimately unskilled, uncreative, slow and undamaging midfields. (Libba, Romero, Atkins, Dimma. West, Boyd, Cross……….. I rest my case)

Who will replace them? How will we win the hard ball?
Callan Ward, Easton Wood and Liam Picken.

Gia? Does anyone really panic if Gia’s injured and may miss a crucial game?
Do other teams worry about shutting him down?

Minson. God I love that big bastard but…. Trade him .
Roughead can back up Hudson until Ayce Cordy is ready and we might get something for him if we do it now.

Tom Williams. Is the experiment over?
He looks good at times but I’m wondering if we’re experimenting with him as a potential AFL player, or if he’s experimenting with AFL as a possible sport he might maybe think about playing as a pastime one day.

Hargreave. No spark. NO SPARK!! Clock on. Clock off. NNEEXXTT!!

I love Johnno to death, I really do and he has given me so much joy, but I’m looking forward to seeing the dogs line up with Johnno Eagle and Hahn out of the starting line up.

If we’re gonna be ruthless and cut into the list and REALLY go for a flag we have to forget our emotions. We have to look at Bambi as a source of protein.

Here’s how hard I’m prepared to go.

PLAYERS I WOULD NOT TRADE.
Cooney, Griffen, Murphy, Ward, Lake.
(I would add Harbrow to that list but…..)

And as for everyone else…. IT”S OPEN SEASON ON BAMBI!

LostDoggy
19-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Great post :D

AndrewP6
20-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Wow. Just wow. By my count, that's six players to be culled from the list, plus two retired (Johnno and Eagle), and you didn't include Baz in the safe list - get rid of the leading goalkicker, 2010 AA and runner up in the Coleman? That's a hell of a lot of shooting, and whilst you made some valid points, in particular to players not damaging opposition, the 'open season' approach is IMO way too heavy handed.

Dancin' Douggy
20-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Read between the lines.
Obviously no ones gonna trade for Baz.
And if you put up 20 players as potential trades doesn't mean you're going to trade 20 players.
But in all honesty. aside from the players I've listed as keepers I would trade any one else on the list for the right offer.

Dancin' Douggy
20-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Sorry, I'll add Dale Morris to my list of keepers.

Before I Die
20-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Read between the lines.
Obviously no ones gonna trade for Baz.
And if you put up 20 players as potential trades doesn't mean you're going to trade 20 players.
But in all honesty. aside from the players I've listed as keepers I would trade any one else on the list for the right offer.

And rip the heart out of the club. Players play for the club, the team and each other. Yes, trading is the work of the devil and it is also a necessary evil. However, what you are proposing is just sheer lunacy. Instead of calling for the death of our club, why don't you just change your own allegiances. I believe Brisbane and Michael Voss share your vision.

I know we are all depressed at the moment, but get a grip.

Remi Moses
20-09-2010, 03:28 AM
Blimey the last person to leave the W/o please turn off the lights!
Possibly see Minson being traded if the interchange cap comes in
Apparently according to Mark Stevens we're into Sherman from Brissie!
Mitch Hahn's been offered a one year deal!:confused:
I'm staggered,Mitch looks past it(luv the guy but seriously)
Sherman ,every time I've seen this guy he's running to quickly and generally misses easy goals:confused:

westdog54
20-09-2010, 05:43 AM
:rolleyes:Here they come.

Standby for a flood of posts and threads about who should be traded/Delisted.

To the OP:
Cross: Have you watched any of the finals this year? IIRC correctly you voted in the 'they are gone' category in the 'Will you watch the finals' thread. Cross is one of the best overhead marks on the list and IMO his kicking has greatly improved in recent years. To label him as 'unskilled' is grossly unfair. I think you'll find that Jude Bolton doesn't find him 'undamaging' either.

Minson: So Roughead will backup Hudson. That's fine. What happens when one of them is injured? Do you honestly expect one of these two to be able to ruck solo for a full game?

Gia: Bloody oath I worry if he's injured and going to miss a crucial game. Do you seriously think a forward flanker who averages 20 possessions (6 of them contested), 5 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal and 1 goal assist a game, and who is very very strong overhead, isn't going to attract some attention.

Williams: Was beaten by the fittest, hardest working key forward in the game, who also happens to have one of the safest sets of hands in the game. Say what you want about St Nick's diving ability, tendency to sook or whatever other traits you can think of, getting your colours lowered by Riewoldt is nothing to be ashamed of.

And just to underline the thought and quality that went into your post, you leave out the bloke that takes the oppositions most dangerous defender.

As far as I'm concerned this can easily be written off as an angy post by an angry supporter

SonofScray
20-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Don't agree with a lot of that, however, the initial point is fair enough IMO. We do give a lot of players 'untouchable' status either too early or undeservedly. This is a big issue of you draft with the "best available" mindset and end up with a heap of similar players (usually average/good midfielders). I think the recruiting in the past has been a bit poor and we've given some guys huge status without them really earning it.

I throw a few names out there for the sake of it, but you could keep going right down the track. For mine Gia, Higgins and Hahn are players who have far too many credits with the coaches and / or fans.

List management isn't an exact science but I think we can afford to be a bit less patient with some players. If you draft a kid at 17/18 who is good enough to play senior footy and they don't perform in big games, or continually miss crucial goals, make the same mistakes etc - then you either change their role significantly or get rid of them, if they can't do it at 23,24,25 they won't do it approaching 30+ either. Just IMO.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 08:38 AM
And rip the heart out of the club. Players play for the club, the team and each other. Yes, trading is the work of the devil and it is also a necessary evil. However, what you are proposing is just sheer lunacy. Instead of calling for the death of our club, why don't you just change your own allegiances. I believe Brisbane and Michael Voss share your vision.

I know we are all depressed at the moment, but get a grip.

What is the heart of a club?? Look Collingwood have changed twelve personal in there current team over the last three years. They seem to be doing alright. This club needs a Malthouse approach to players.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Blood letting had its day way back when Sweeney Todd had a girlfriend who cooked pies.
OK its important to make a fresh start but you are full of blood lust when you blame Libba, Romero, Atkins, Dimma. West, Boyd, Cross etc for our lack of ultimate success.
Hafey, as his brother tells me, claimed it is a side's WORST six players that WIN you a premiership. I think you should attack our six worst rather than some of our best, if you want change.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Daniel Cross. Incredibly brave and we all love him but we will never win a flag with him as a cornerstone of our midfield. Trade him while we can.

This post gets 10/10 for emotion and 1/10 for logic and common sense.

Next year, when the reduce interchanges, as they certainly will, players will no longer be able to sprint like mad for 5 minutes and then head to the bench for a rest.

Superfit runners who, even if they are one paced, will be able to stay on the ground longer and keep running will be worth their weight in gold.

We have two.

PS. I love the "We will never win with ...." posts. Farren Ray is a game away from being a premiership player, Mario Bortalotto won two.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 09:46 AM
This post gets 10/10 for emotion and 1/10 for logic and common sense.

Next year, when the reduce interchanges, as they certainly will, players will no longer be able to sprint like mad for 5 minutes and then head to the bench for a rest.

Superfit runners who, even if they are one paced, will be able to stay on the ground longer and keep running will be worth their weight in gold.

We have two.

PS. I love the "We will never win with ...." posts. Farren Ray is a game away from being a premiership player, Mario Bortalotto won two.

That may be so, but he has very little to do with it (and I've nothing against him as a kid, nor the fact that he left us, I just don't think he's very good).

Desipura
20-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Carlton win never win a premiership with Mark Athorn, Matthew Hogg & Ian Aitken in it......oh wait a second.
Adelaide will never win a premiership with Shane Ellen in it......oh
Geelong will never win a premiership with Mark Blake in it......oh

When looking at trading a Daniel Cross (who I thought was not good enough for AFL when he first started) you are trading the heart and soul of the club. Look what happened to Brisbane when they shafted Bradshaw & Rischitelli to get Fevola.
In any case Cross has at least 2 years left in him with Reid, Libba ready to replace him.
You would lose more than you gain by trading one of the hardest and most committed players on our list.
Your emotions got the better of you. A good thing you are not in charge.

Before I Die
20-09-2010, 10:35 AM
What is the heart of a club?? Look Collingwood have changed twelve personal in there current team over the last three years. They seem to be doing alright. This club needs a Malthouse approach to players.

Malthouse didn't put those twelve players up for trade. They are still at the club or they have retired. This is a very different approach to that suggested in the OP.

Curly5
20-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Ow - ouch - eek

Clubs have to be very very careful putting up players for trade. If it all turns to sh*t like Brisbane and Hawthorn, you end up with a bunch of disgruntled players who lose their motivation and loyalty to the club. The only way to do it, unfortunately, is to call the player in when it's all done and dusted and hand him his transfer papers to his new club. And even that is fraught with danger of supporter backlash? Remember Monty?

Maybe some of these players you're upset with need to refresh their careers with different roles in the team. They certainly need to brush up their skills, and quickly.

Stefcep
20-09-2010, 01:17 PM
That may be so, but he has very little to do with it (and I've nothing against him as a kid, nor the fact that he left us, I just don't think he's very good).

yeah but he looks a better player than he did with us.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Absolutely no way. Cross & Boyd are club leaders on and off the paddock, lead the way with training intensity and would run through an active volcano for the chance to play.

Talk about knee jerk reactions.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Malthouse didn't put those twelve players up for trade. They are still at the club or they have retired. This is a very different approach to that suggested in the OP.

I like the Sydney model myself. Keep first and second round picks. Trade out players for picks or swaps for team needs.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 01:33 PM
I like the Sydney model myself. Keep first and second round picks. Trade out players for picks or swaps for team needs.
Bazza & Locket say hi

dadsgirl16
20-09-2010, 01:41 PM
As I said to my brother as he was venting his spleen "lets not throw the baby out with the bath water"

Some clean out is probably needed but what has been suggested is ridiculous!

always right
20-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Carlton win never win a premiership with Mark Athorn, Matthew Hogg & Ian Aitken in it......oh wait a second.
Adelaide will never win a premiership with Shane Ellen in it......oh
Geelong will never win a premiership with Mark Blake in it......oh

When looking at trading a Daniel Cross (who I thought was not good enough for AFL when he first started) you are trading the heart and soul of the club. Look what happened to Brisbane when they shafted Bradshaw & Rischitelli to get Fevola.
In any case Cross has at least 2 years left in him with Reid, Libba ready to replace him.
You would lose more than you gain by trading one of the hardest and most committed players on our list.
Your emotions got the better of you. A good thing you are not in charge.

Agree with most of this but I think you are mistaken if you think Hogg and Athorn won a premiership with the blues. They did however play in a grand final. Aitken not sure about.

always right
20-09-2010, 02:05 PM
We are already going to have a fair clean-out with blokes retiring and other looking to return home to an interstate club. There's a limit to the number of changes you make before it becomes rediculous. I suspect it is why they are offering Hahn a one year term as he might be required as a back-up player, albeit on less money than he is currently on.

Topdog
20-09-2010, 02:25 PM

He really doesn't. He still looks crap but just does little nothing handballs to the good players.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 02:58 PM

He only looks better because his role has been clearly defined. It's as plain as can be that he has been instructed to handball sideways to the player running past and kick as a last resort only.

He really doesn't. He still looks crap but just does little nothing handballs to the good players.

I don't know that he looks crap, he's a good athlete, and he's being used properly. That being said, I don't really rate him as a player, only that he's playing within his limitations.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Bazza & Locket say hi

What are you on about??

Locket has what to do with there current recruiting or Barry for that matter. Assuming you mean when they recruited him. If not getting a good pick of us for a bloke that was retired would have been a bonus.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 03:34 PM
What are you on about??
This:

I like the Sydney model myself. Keep first and second round picks.
Both were traded for first round picks - in particular Hall was traded for #13, #17 and #45, and was a part of their premiership team.

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Your OP made me laugh out loud. Just the way it was written. I feel your pain!
funny stuff

Thanks Douggy

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Absolutely no way. Cross & Boyd are club leaders on and off the paddock, lead the way with training intensity and would run through an active volcano for the chance to play.

Talk about knee jerk reactions.

While I don't agree with many of the specifics the sentiment of the OP is right I think. We can't afford to play players on 'credits' for as long as we have.
What golden opportunities were lost in playing Higgins and others who were NQR instead of developing younger kids ( Everitt, Moles ).
Collingwood have cut the Lockyers and Frasers, O'Brees. If we had any of these players, especially Medhurst, they would be on the park in an instant. Yet they can afford to drop them.

"When asked about his selection philosophy on Footy Classified last Monday night, Malthouse went to great lengths to emphasise that, at Collingwood, rather than focus on who is going to be left out of the side each week, he implores those around him to focus on who is coming into the side."

But keep in mind, Collingwood have depth that we did not this season.
And sh*&$, they have deeeeep pockets. Pre-season trips to Arizona etc etc.
We did well to get to 4th all things considered.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 04:24 PM
While I don't agree with many of the specifics the sentiment of the OP is right I think. We can't afford to play players on 'credits' for as long as we have.
It's true, but Crossy & Boyd are not the players to have fingers pointed at them for mine.
We have a situation where we carried some players into the finals on the back of poor form, and a combination of injury and our depth players not standing up we had limited selection decisions to make.
Premierships seem to be decided by the guys in the 18-22 bracket in terms of their place in the side, not the best 5 or 10 players on the list. We've been exposed for depth, not top line talent - the selection of Callan (only game for the year) and a debutant (Hooper) confirm this.

What gives me hope for next year is that our "fringe" list seems to be getting younger - Skipper for Roughy, Eagleton for Moles (and hopefully next year Wallis for a few games), Aker for Hooper, Callan for Wood (now established).
Guys who have intensity issues are on the outer - we cut McMahon, Hill & Everitt are trade-bait. The posts here are like we've had a death in the family (somewhat understandably) but I believe we are at the beginning, not the end.

Remi Moses
20-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I feel peoples pain but honestly it's very Big Footy to put Cross forward for trade!
You simply cannot throw everyone out,yes there will be changes but let's keep things in perspective please

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 05:06 PM
It's true, but Crossy & Boyd are not the players to have fingers pointed at them for mine.

For Crossy, I can't agree more. The slow motion footage of him launching himself head first at the ball and tapping it to Eagle then crashing into someone going the other way is about the best bit of vision I saw all year. He has been outstanding and puts himself on the line.

Boyd has been pretty good. Not highly damaging with his kicks but who would you replace him with at the moment? What effect would it have on morale?

Let's cut deep, but let's not be stupid about it.
Guys, it all comes down to the midfield here. Do we have a premiership midfield? Disposal is the biggest issue for me.

Desipura
20-09-2010, 05:13 PM
For Crossy, I can't agree more. The slow motion footage of him launching himself head first at the ball and tapping it to Eagle then crashing into someone going the other way is about the best bit of vision I saw all year. He has been outstanding and puts himself on the line.

Boyd has been pretty good. Not highly damaging with his kicks but who would you replace him with at the moment? What effect would it have on morale?

Let's cut deep, but let's not be stupid about it.
Guys, it all comes down to the midfield here. Do we have a premiership midfield? Disposal is the biggest issue for me.
We will have a few new recruits who can play midfield namely Cooney & Higgins.
Two kids named Wallis & Libba who should get a look in.
A bloke named Reid who will be a regular when his body allows him to.
A very good kick of the footy in Howard who should be knocking on the door.
Then there is the trade period and draft.......

Greystache
20-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Slightly off the intended track of the OP, but why does everyone refer to it as shooting Bambi? No one ever shot Bambi, it was Bambi's mother that was shot by a hunter. The phrase is "I don't want to be the one who shot Bambi's mother". Just a side note.

Twodogs
20-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Slightly off the intended track of the OP, but why does everyone refer to it as shooting Bambi? No one ever shot Bambi, it was Bambi's mother that was shot by a hunter. The phrase is "I don't want to be the one who shot Bambi's mother". Just a side note.

It was the Sex Pistols who started it. From memory a guy called Eddie Tenpole sang a song called Who Killed Bambi? in the Pistol's film "The Great Rock'nRoll Swindle"

*edit* yep it was;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drwSUXbonao&feature=related

Greystache
20-09-2010, 05:26 PM
It was the Sex Pistols who started it. From memory a guy called Eddie Tenpole sang a song called Who Killed Bambi? in the Pistol's film "The Great Rock'nRoll Swindle"

Thanks for that TD. So it basically started from a rock singer who didn't do his homework, somehow I'm not shocked!

Twodogs
20-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for that TD. So it basically started from a rock singer who didn't do his homework, somehow I'm not shocked!

More a case of "Who Killed Bambi" looked neater than "Who Killed Bambi's Mum" on the marquee Lovey.

It's all about the marquee.

Mofra
20-09-2010, 05:43 PM
It's like the old saying "working like a Trojan". I know it is a reference to the events details in Homer's epic poem "The Odyssy", but the Trojans weren't the people who worked hard to make the wooden horse, that was the Greeks. The Trojans were just the idiots who let the thing into their city!

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 06:06 PM
We will have a few new recruits who can play midfield namely Cooney & Higgins.
Two kids named Wallis & Libba who should get a look in.
A bloke named Reid who will be a regular when his body allows him to.
A very good kick of the footy in Howard who should be knocking on the door.
Then there is the trade period and draft.......

I'm not sure about Higgins in the midfield.
His hair might get too messed up :)

Libba and Wallis are 17 year olds. They'll need a few years.
Reid, well, who knows.

Sockeye Salmon
20-09-2010, 06:10 PM
The reality is, if Reid ends up as good as Cross (unlikely) we should be delighted. Not that you would guess it with the number of people ready to pot Cross.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Double post, sorry.

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 06:16 PM
The reality is, if Reid ends up as good as Cross (unlikely) we should be delighted. Not that you would guess it with the number of people ready to pot Cross.

Should be declared a crime.

Scorlibo
20-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Who will replace them? How will we win the hard ball?
Callan Ward, Easton Wood and Liam Picken.

Gia? Does anyone really panic if Gia’s injured and may miss a crucial game?
Do other teams worry about shutting him down?

Minson. God I love that big bastard but…. Trade him .
Roughead can back up Hudson until Ayce Cordy is ready and we might get something for him if we do it now.

Tom Williams. Is the experiment over?
He looks good at times but I’m wondering if we’re experimenting with him as a potential AFL player, or if he’s experimenting with AFL as a possible sport he might maybe think about playing as a pastime one day.

Hargreave. No spark. NO SPARK!! Clock on. Clock off. NNEEXXTT!!

I love Johnno to death, I really do and he has given me so much joy, but I’m looking forward to seeing the dogs line up with Johnno Eagle and Hahn out of the starting line up.

If we’re gonna be ruthless and cut into the list and REALLY go for a flag we have to forget our emotions. We have to look at Bambi as a source of protein.

Here’s how hard I’m prepared to go.

PLAYERS I WOULD NOT TRADE.
Cooney, Griffen, Murphy, Ward, Lake.
(I would add Harbrow to that list but…..)

And as for everyone else…. IT”S OPEN SEASON ON BAMBI!

Do you really think we would get anything in return for the majority of those 28-30 year olds? On top of getting less for them you would de-stabilise the club.

I would add Cross and Gia to the must-not-trade list, they are very important imo. Boyd has disappointed me this season and Hargrave also, but the former just needs to play within his strengths and the latter just needs to build up his intensity.

chef
20-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Do you really think we would get anything in return for the majority of those 28-30 year olds? On top of getting less for them you would de-stabilise the club.

I would add Cross and Gia to the must-not-trade list, they are very important imo. Boyd has disappointed me this season and Hargrave also, but the former just needs to play within his strengths and the latter just needs to build up his intensity.

I agree, they should only be traded if they want out. I only thing i would be careful of is letting any of them go on for 1 season to long, our retirements over the next 4 seasons need to be well planned in advance.

westdog54
20-09-2010, 07:12 PM
This post made me laugh out loud. Especially the part about Hargrave. neeexxt. haha

Thanks Douggy

Made me think of:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/Hootto/SOUPNAZI.png

Mantis
20-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Hargrave has been in the system for 10 years, if you believe he has intensity issues I doubt they can be rectified now... Personally I think his intensity is fine, he just lacks concentration & makes poor decisions with ball in hand.

Agree that Boyd needs to refine his game. In 4 of our last 6 games his man has been B.O.G (he was removed from Swan & Hayes in the finals leaving Picken the job) and his effect with ball in hand hasn't been great.

boydogs
20-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Personally I think his intensity is fine, he just lacks concentration & makes poor decisions with ball in hand.

Intensity = Concentration
I think through coaching we can teach him to focus on certain areas and change his thinking on what to do in certain situations

Greystache
20-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Intensity = Concentration
I think through coaching we can teach him to focus on certain areas and change his thinking on what to do in certain situations

After 11 seasons we can all of a sudden now?

BulldogBelle
20-09-2010, 11:03 PM
The gist behind the post I think is that we should not harbour 'Bambi' types like we did with Brad Johnson.

Brad Johnson became bigger than the club. We have to get out of this mentality. The opportunity cost is far too high.

The coach Rodney Eade went on radio to tell listeners that Brad did this and Brad did that, and he was this and he was that. The President David Smorgan went on line and said exactly the same thing.

They justified why Brad Johnson should be given a game when he did not deserve it based on current form and even on reasonable prospects for improvement given his nagging injuries.

This meant that the team was compromised including the whole system of player promotion and trial and playing on merit. A similar situation occurred with Eade, for the whole of the last 3 years, playing his favourites (Eagleton, Gia, hahn, Higgins) often when they were obviously out of form . Can't be good for morale either.

Whilst we need to strip ourselves of the Bambi syndrome I am in favour of retaining our club champions (eg Cross), whilst those who continuously disapppoint (eg Gia) should be traded if possible.

Cross is a problem. He can't run and lacks any sort of penetration with his kicks - these are some important talents we need in a midfielder, otherwise he is great. I wonder how he would go in the back pocket. The club has made many a champion back-pocket from a midfielder. Still have the problem though that he can't kick long and may not be able to run the ball out of the backline.

But, the gist of the thread is not to condone any more Bambi types. I agree with this, nobody should be bigger than the club.

AndrewP6
20-09-2010, 11:11 PM
The coach Rodney Eade went on radio to tell listeners that Brad did this and Brad did that, and he was this and he was that. The President David Smorgan went on line and said exactly the same thing.

Smorgon.

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Smorgon.

Any thoughts on the rest of the post Andrew?

boydogs
20-09-2010, 11:41 PM
After 11 seasons we can all of a sudden now?

We're not talking complicated stuff here. Just things like go short to find a target and retain possession instead of kicking down the line, you or I could do that if specifically instructed to do so

But, the gist of the thread is not to condone any more Bambi types. I agree with this, nobody should be bigger than the club.

Your post focuses more on selection than trading. Much different to trade Gia or Cross than to drop them IMO.

Greystache
20-09-2010, 11:55 PM
We're not talking complicated stuff here. Just things like go short to find a target and retain possession instead of kicking down the line, you or I could do that if specifically instructed to do so

I'm sure it's all been addressed with him before, some players just aren't able to adapt under pressure.

immortalmike
21-09-2010, 05:52 AM

I don't know sometimes I think I'd rather a Hargrave 'run a bit then kick long down the line' than a Harbrow or Gilbee "run yourself into trouble, panic and stuff up a short kick or handball and offer the opposition an easy shot on goal". Then again I really don't understand the people who don't like Shaggy as I think (uninjured) he provides good rebound and usually shuts down his man. I think people quickly forget he was our second best backline player last year behind Lake, unfortunately he's apparently been playing hurt all year.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm not sure about Higgins in the midfield.
His hair might get too messed up :)

Libba and Wallis are 17 year olds. They'll need a few years.
Reid, well, who knows.
Bigfooty post :rolleyes:
Dont be surprised if Wallis plays a number of games in 2011.

EasternWest
21-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Bigfooty post :rolleyes:
Dont be surprised if Wallis plays a number of games in 2011.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you on that one, but Ghost Dog isn't really that kind of poster. I think he was being a bit tongue in cheek. At least, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Ordinarily I'd agree with you on that one, but Ghost Dog isn't really that kind of poster. I think he was being a bit tongue in cheek. At least, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Tongue in cheek, smart a$$ call it what you wish. Either way, a poor choice of words

EasternWest
21-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Tongue in cheek, smart a$$ call it what you wish. Either way, a poor choice of words

Hmm. Well that's your take on it. No worries.

Desipura
21-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Agree with most of this but I think you are mistaken if you think Hogg and Athorn won a premiership with the blues. They did however play in a grand final. Aitken not sure about.

Hogg played in the 1995 winning premiership team, Aitken played in the 1987 premiership team.
Athorn played in the 1993 losing grand final team.