PDA

View Full Version : Harbrow-GONE-Official

Stefcep
20-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Worst kept secret: Harbrow joins Gold Coast
September 20, 2010 - 11:54AM

Comments 1
* Vote

Skilful Western Bulldogs running backman Jarrod Harbrow will link up with the Gold Coast Suns in 2011.

Skilful Western Bulldog running backman Jarrod Harbrow is the latest uncontracted player to join the Gold Coast Suns.

Harbrow, 23, a quick, elusive left-footer, has played 69 games with the Bulldogs since 2007. He joins Nathan Bock, Campbell Brown, Michael Rischitelli and Nathan Krakouer as senior acquisitions of the AFL's newest club in recent weeks.

Gold Coast CEO Travis Auld welcomed the Cairns-raised Harbrow.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/worst-kept-secret-harbrow-joins-gold-coast-20100920-15inw.html

always right
20-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Expected but nonethless....a sad day:o

Greystache
20-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Shock horror!!

1eyedog
20-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Forget about playing any finals for the next five years JH.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Forget about finals for the next five years.

I hope you're referring to Gold Coast and not us.

Otherwise, that's a very odd comment.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Expected, but still sad. :(

1eyedog
20-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Amended

BulldogBelle
20-09-2010, 02:11 PM

It's a good call.

Many players would kill to play as many finals as we have since 2006, and lets be honest we're still banging on the door.

Cyberdoggie
20-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Prepare to be booed every time you play us.

I understand the reasons for going back but your a professional, so for me it will always be about the money. So your a mercenary in my eyes.

You were a good player but i'm dissappointed you left.

Curly5
20-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Would be nice if he made a public statement.

AndrewP6
20-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Another player goes down in the annals of history as abandoning the club that helped him start his career. He leaves for money, he can say what he likes about family and the girlfriend, blah blah blah. It's money, Jarrod. I hope the Gold Coast Plunderers have years of building ahead, and languishing at the bottom of the ladder. Don't worry though, if your girlfriend leaves you, you can always use some of the cash to wipe the tears away. And if things get uncomfortable, perch yourself on top of the mountain of money you're getting.

Judas, indeed.

G-Mo77
20-09-2010, 02:24 PM
I've been preparing for this all season so it's no real shock. I never got attached to him after all the GC speculation. Disappointing we lose a good player but I'm sure we can cover his departure.

mighty_west
20-09-2010, 02:26 PM
...and don't let the door slam you on the ass on the way out, don't blame him going, but no longer give two cahoots about him either, he is no longer a Bulldog.

Good news story though, and great rookie pick by Clayton, seemed to be 4th in line with the indigenous boys that year, Stack, Lynch, Hill then Harbrow and leaves our club easily the best from that crop, and i wonder had we taken Nathan Krakouer with Akers pick, would we taken Harbrow as a rookie after all?

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah how many times do you hear players say, "we play this game to win premierships." even this year I heard it from Collingwod players having been asked this because they finished on top of the ladder.

I get that he's partly home sick, that there's also a hell of a lot of money been thrown at him. But my thought is why goto the Gold Coast where they MAY feature in a premiership in three or four years time. If they got one earlier then that would be amazing and somthing akin to "Just adding Water" though it's surely not that easy or we'd have won more of them. When on the other hand he would be in a Bulldogs best 22 in 1 or 2 years when we would still be strong contenders. In four or more years how likely would he be to be in the best 22 at the CG. On that basis Garry must be signed, sealed and delivered already as he's probably been touted as a carrot to other players in that they have him on board.

Good luck to him and I'll miss spotting him easily due to his shoulder strapping and the red white and Bluea aas our loss is the Suns gain.

Dancin' Douggy
20-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I firmly believe it affected the team.
It affected me as a supporter watching him. Like he was already gone.
And I was watching a ghost. Bad feeling.
One of those 'intangibles'.

I reckon it's affected Geelong as well with Ablett.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I'll miss the shimmy's he does..
Oh well, Wood looks great up back and will no doubt take his spot next year and beyond!

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I firmly believe it affected the team.
It affected me as a supporter watching him. Like he was already gone.
And I was watching a ghost. Bad feeling.
One of those 'intangibles'.

I reckon it's affected Geelong as well with Ablett.

THis is a very interesting point. How can it not?

EasternWest
20-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I'll miss the shimmy's he does..
Oh well, Wood looks great up back and will no doubt take his spot next year and beyond!

Until he goes to GWS :eek:!

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah how many times do you hear players say, "we play this game to win premierships." even this year I heard it from Collingwod players having been asked this because they finished on top of the ladder.

I get that he's partly home sick, that there's also a hell of a lot of money been thrown at him. But my thought is why goto the Gold Coast where they MAY feature in a premiership in three or four years time. If they got one earlier then that would be amazing and somthing akin to "Just adding Water" though it's surely not that easy or we'd have won more of them. When on the other hand he would be in a Bulldogs best 22 in 1 or 2 years when we would still be strong contenders. In four or more years how likely would he be to be in the best 22 at the CG. On that basis Garry must be signed, sealed and delivered already as he's probably been touted as a carrot to other players in that they have him on board.

Good luck to him and I'll miss spotting him easily due to his shoulder strapping and the red white and Bluea aas our loss is the Suns gain.

Yeah but it is a big thing to be one of the founding players of a club. You write your name into history.

Ghost Dog
20-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Prepare to be booed every time you play us.

I understand the reasons for going back but your a professional, so for me it will always be about the money. So your a mercenary in my eyes.

You were a good player but i'm dissappointed you left.

I'm not going to boo him. What for? To be closer to your family is no bad thing. I've loved watching him play for us. So it goes.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Its always a risk when recruiting interstate players. Everyone has bagged Melbourne for getting Watts but if Naitanui went after his first contract it would have been a disaster.

Dry Rot
20-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Not happy he's going but if he's the worst loss we suffer to GC and GWS in the next couple of years I'll be happy.

BulldogBelle
20-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Not happy he's going but if he's the worst loss we suffer to GC and GWS in the next couple of years I'll be happy.

Same. And with the pick we'll get that'll help fill an important gap somewhere, one way burst defenders aren't exactly on the essentials list.

We better get a bloody first round pick.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Until he goes to GWS :eek:!

Blasphamy! :eek:

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah but it is a big thing to be one of the founding players of a club. You write your name into history.

Didn't GC play this year in the BAFL or GCAFL comp? I seem to remember seeing footage of Carmichael Hunt and that big caboose of his plodding around at Carrara earlier this year. That would mean Harbrow is not a founding player of GC, but an original AFL player for GC. IMO ;)

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 05:55 PM
You make a good point DaDruid. The Gold Coast finished 10th in the VFL this year. Yes I understand they didn't have all the players that they'll have next year, but in the great scheme of things that next step up to VFL is a biggy, Podsy and Barlow are exceptions.

I also think that bringing all these stars together doesn't guaratee success. It was pointed out to me recently that when Greece won the Euro Champions league a few years ago that most of those players knew each others game style really well and was one of the reasons despite all the stars in other teams that Greece won it all. So they certainly are unlikely to perform well at first. Imagine the ego's to overcome as well. Good luck to Guy McKenna anyway.

Flamethrower
20-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I hope all that money makes up for losing every game by 100 points next year, especially if Gablett decides to stay at Geelong.

The role the AFL is playing in the formation of the Suns and GWS stinks. I can't imagine any other professional competition in the world playing such an active role, and bending the rules so much, to create 2 new expansion franchises at the expense of the other clubs. :mad:

Mantis
20-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I hope all that money makes up for losing every game by 100 points next year, especially if Gablett decides to stay at Geelong.

Do you think that's a realistic claim?

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 09:55 PM
It was a pleasure watching you play Jarrod, its a pitty you along with the rest of your ex-team mates didn't experience a GF during your tenure at the Dogs, you might of stayed.
They the Suns may have a team of great players put together but this may not mean a winning combination either.
Money dosen't mean s**t if you have a team of individuals.

I hope the boys are having a MAD Monday.

Go Dogs 2011.............................

gohardorgohome
20-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I hope Harbrow gets a a heap of votes in the Brownlow.... The should add some extra influence for us to get a round one draft pick for him.

Hotdog60
20-09-2010, 10:39 PM

The role the AFL is playing in the formation of the Suns and GWS stinks. I can't imagine any other professional competition in the world playing such an active role, and bending the rules so much, to create 2 new expansion franchises at the expense of the other clubs. :mad:

I don't agree with what they have done, but I can understand why.
It's a hard slog in the Northern States and to ride the hype and gain support they need instant success this fits in with the AFL being a National competion.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 10:40 PM
6 votes after round 14.
Rocket mentioned when on the couch tonight that he knew from GC connected friends that JH was gone from early on in the season. Also said the JH had been told by GC not to tell the club officially.

LostDoggy
20-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't agree with what they have done, but I can understand why.
It's a hard slog in the Northern States and to ride the hype and gain support they need instant success this fits in with the AFL being a National competion.

Look at the Melbourne Storm, no help from the NRL, just plonked down here is Victoria.

Look at the amazing lengths they went to, to gain success. All because the governing body never gave them a leg up & they had to crack a tough market, i think it's something the AFL doesn't want to go through.

EasternWest
21-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Look at the Melbourne Storm, no help from the NRL, just plonked down here is Victoria.

Look at the amazing lengths they went to, to gain success. All because the governing body never gave them a leg up & they had to crack a tough market, i think it's something the AFL doesn't want to go through.

With recent developments, do you really think The Storm have a clean history though?

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 09:37 AM
It's pretty easy to get good press when you're owned by the Herald -Sun.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Compensation announced; end of first round selection for dogs, same as Brown and Bock????
Thought we would have got a first round selection.

chef
21-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Compensation announced; end of first round selection for dogs, same as Brown and Bock????

What a load of crap, he's worth more than those two:mad:

comrade
21-09-2010, 01:18 PM

What a joke.

Thanks for nothing Jarrod.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 01:21 PM
So does that make it pick 31 or 32???

G-Mo77
21-09-2010, 01:24 PM
So does that make it pick 31 or 32???

What was Hawthorn's? #28?

Desipura
21-09-2010, 01:37 PM
5 friggin years younger than Bock and Brown and already a better player! Bloody joke!

Stefcep
21-09-2010, 01:42 PM
6 votes after round 14.
Rocket mentioned when on the couch tonight that he knew from GC connected friends that JH was gone from early on in the season. Also said the JH had been told by GC not to tell the club officially.

I felt he lacked the same passion on the field in the latter part of the season and had a strong feeling that his mind was elsewhere.

1eyedog
21-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I knew it would come to this.

It's become a very dirty game, I think trading and underhandedness will not be mutually exclusive any longer.

LostDoggy
21-09-2010, 01:46 PM
It is giving me the irrates when they keep saying he has gone home. He is from Cairns, Mebourne is closer to Gold Coast than Cairns is. Apologies if his family no longer live in Cairns.

KT31
21-09-2010, 05:00 PM
5 friggin years younger than Bock and Brown and already a better player! Bloody joke!

Yet we get the f#*king compensation.:mad:

azabob
14-09-2014, 01:32 PM
GUY McKenna’s relationship with senior player Jarrod Harbrow has been fractured by a post-match sledge that led to the popular Sun questioning his future at the club.

Teammates were also angered that Harbrow was singled out by an irate McKenna in the rooms after the shocking 56-point loss to Brisbane in the season’s second Q-Clash.

The Sunday Mail has been told McKenna suggested Harbrow’s shortcomings as a player contributed to the preliminary final losses the Western Bulldogs suffered while he was at the club.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/guy-mckenna-to-front-suns-board-this-week-but-heated-exchange-with-jarrod-harbrow-not-on-agenda/story-fndv8hfz-1227057560897

chef
14-09-2014, 01:40 PM
McKenna sounds like a flog.

SlimPickens
14-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Would love someone at the dogs to get in Jarrods ear. We miss his run, carry and risk taking a lot.

azabob
14-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Would love someone at the dogs to get in Jarrods ear. We miss his run, carry and risk taking a lot.

Well it could be possible if you believe the press that Gold Coast are chasing Dempsey from Essendon for run and carry off the half back flank...

F'scary
14-09-2014, 01:58 PM
I would have him back in a flash. I have never held it against him for going - the AFL was engineering these moves with massive $$$ bribes.

He looked so good against us when we played them this year.

bornadog
14-09-2014, 02:49 PM
If he can't taking a dressing down from the coach then he shouldn't be playing AFL. :)

bulldogtragic
14-09-2014, 03:05 PM
If he can't taking a dressing down from the coach then he shouldn't be playing AFL. :)

Jones for Harbrow?

Remi Moses
14-09-2014, 03:09 PM
That's a bit amiss
Thought Harbrow was good in that 10 prelim.
Had a busted shoulder as well.

Maddog37
14-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Sounds like Bluey is losing the plot.

stefoid
14-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Brisbane would be the obvious landing spot.

SquirrelGrip
14-09-2014, 05:54 PM
McKenna's feeling the pressure as Bomber waits in the wings Lyon-style.

LostDoggy
14-09-2014, 06:36 PM
Would take Harbrow back in a heartbeat. McKenna can damn well f@#k off!

ratsmac
14-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Harbrow is an interesting prospect. Say we did trade him back, where does that leave JJ? I think he would take JJ's spot in the backline so can JJ play further up the ground? If he does and he can improve his kicking he could be our fast break goal kicker like the Lewis Jetta type we need. Interesting indeed

GVGjr
14-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Harbrow is an interesting prospect. Say we did trade him back, where does that leave JJ? I think he would take JJ's spot in the backline so can JJ play further up the ground? If he does and he can improve his kicking he could be our fast break goal kicker like the Lewis Jetta type we need. Interesting indeed

Unlikely to head back to us but if he did then JJ can play in other positions

Twodogs
14-09-2014, 10:13 PM
We can't get enough players that can run and then kick the ball.

I'd love to get Jarod Harbrow back. I've been a huge fan from the first time I saw him train and play match practice.

westdog54
14-09-2014, 10:31 PM
We can't get enough players that can run and then kick the ball.

I'd love to get Jarod Harbrow back. I've been a huge fan from the first time I saw him train and play match practice.

IIRC I was right there next to you. Decided that every time he got the ball he was going to run and take on the tackler. Was like watching a Rugby winger.

If memory serves, you were also dropping your head in dissapointment every time Andrew McDougall touched the ball during that intra club.

1eyedog
15-09-2014, 12:47 AM

Habrow to us JJ to Essendon and Dempsey to GC

bulldogtragic
15-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Habrow to us JJ to Essendon and Dempsey to GC

Oh. That's the first tempting and realistic trade I've read this silly season.

Twodogs
15-09-2014, 01:11 AM
IIRC I was right there next to you. Decided that every time he got the ball he was going to run and take on the tackler. Was like watching a Rugby winger.

If memory serves, you were also dropping your head in dissapointment every time Andrew McDougall touched the ball during that intra club.

You were too. Remember he was manned up on Josh Hill and they just went for it. Josh had him in the air but if Jarod could get it to ground nobody could get the ball back off him.

Pedro Sanchez
15-09-2014, 09:02 PM
Oh. That's the first tempting and realistic trade I've read this silly season.

No way disagree with that proposed trade. I loved harbrow but his kicking was always a liability. And reckon it still is. We have enough blokes who butcher kicks already. Plus, JJ has more upside in my opinion. Beautiful kick and more years on his side. Much prefer to keep him.

1eyedog
15-09-2014, 09:16 PM
No way disagree with that proposed trade. I loved harbrow but his kicking was always a liability. And reckon it still is. We have enough blokes who butcher kicks already. Plus, JJ has more upside in my opinion. Beautiful kick and more years on his side. Much prefer to keep him.

But can he play? Harbrow can.

Pedro Sanchez
16-09-2014, 01:34 AM
But can he play? Harbrow can.

Yeh I think he can. He was great last year until he broke his shoulder. Then struggled on his comeback for the first part of this season. Thought he came good again in the latter part. Big fan. Think he'll be a quality player for a long time.

FrediKanoute
16-09-2014, 02:39 AM
I like Harbrow and we have missed his run over the last few years, but I wouldn't be paying overs to get him back. Fact is he wont be a part of the next big tilt and is just stopping a younger guy from developing. Happy for him to come as a free agent or a cheap/late pick, but not paying overs for him.

Topdog
16-09-2014, 02:49 AM
I think McKenna will go. IMO he has underperformed with that group and their fall away post Ablett injury was a disgrace

westdog54
16-09-2014, 08:40 AM
JJ is exciting but he is far from a "beautiful kick". Has a tendency to overcook anything he sends into the forward line. Struggles to hit a target on the lead

Greystache
16-09-2014, 11:04 AM
I like Harbrow and we have missed his run over the last few years, but I wouldn't be paying overs to get him back. Fact is he wont be a part of the next big tilt and is just stopping a younger guy from developing. Happy for him to come as a free agent or a cheap/late pick, but not paying overs for him.

He's just turned 26, how long away is our next big tilt? To put it into perspective, he's exactly one year older than Jarrad Grant.

I'd happily take him back. Quality player, right age bracket, and has played 150 games now.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2014, 11:18 AM
He's just turned 26, how long away is our next big tilt? To put it into perspective, he's exactly one year older than Jarrad Grant.

I'd happily take him back. Quality player, right age bracket, and has played 150 games now.

Precisely the argument for getting him back.

1eyedog
16-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Yeh I think he can. He was great last year until he broke his shoulder. Then struggled on his comeback for the first part of this season. Thought he came good again in the latter part. Big fan. Think he'll be a quality player for a long time.

Fair enough but we know what we get with Harbrow - JJ is still speculative and both players realistically will probably only get one premiership window with us regardless of age. I'll take Harbrow for 2017-2018 - he'd be 28 / 29. Perfect.

Remi Moses
16-09-2014, 02:27 PM
All this speculation with McKenna seems to be mirroring with us .
Players getting some home truths and not liking what they're hearing

Greystache
16-09-2014, 02:48 PM
All this speculation with McKenna seems to be mirroring with us .
Players getting some home truths and not liking what they're hearing

If the reports of McKenna accusing Harbrow, in front of the other Gold Coast players, of costing the Bulldogs a final 4 years ago are true, that's not a home truth. That's a guy in the wrong job.

Remi Moses
16-09-2014, 03:21 PM
If the reports of McKenna accusing Harbrow, in front of the other Gold Coast players, of costing the Bulldogs a final 4 years ago are true, that's not a home truth. That's a guy in the wrong job.

I agree that's just stupid, and seems like something Mckenna's said in the heat of the moment.
The whole club gets reviewed including 40 odd blokes with some having axes to grind.

anfo27
16-09-2014, 06:47 PM
I think McKenna will go. IMO he has underperformed with that group and their fall away post Ablett injury was a disgrace

Agree with this. Their record once ablett was done for the year should be enough to prove he hasn't developed that squad to the level he should have.

I know JJ is a bulldogs player and we all love our own but to say he is anywhere near Harbrow as a player is outrageous. JJ has some talent and could be a player for us but Harbrow is on a different planet to JJ and we are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise.

Maddog37
16-09-2014, 06:54 PM
I don't think JJ is a defender personally. They are very different types.

Would be happy to have both!

Twodogs
16-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Ixnay on the acksay talk about Bluey guys. He's the best thing the rest of the clubs have going for them.

I think he's doing an excellent job and should see his contract out. At least.

azabob
16-09-2014, 10:30 PM
Ixnay on the acksay talk about Bluey guys. He's the best thing the rest of the clubs have going for them.

I think he's doing an excellent job and should see his contract out. At least.

The board is extending his contract! ��