PDA

View Full Version : Remember that potential Irish rookie?

Dry Rot
27-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Any news on the guy that trained with us then went home with a footy?

IIRC he was about as tall as Grant and from reports of his Irish games had a bit of attitude.

I wonder if he is factored into our plans for the future?

soupman
27-09-2010, 12:12 PM
There was an article posted recently where it said that this year his form and fitness have both dropped off, which isn't exactly encourging for us considering he'd have to get fitter to play footy (you'd presume).

And his name was Aiden O'Shea.

stefoid
27-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I got curious and looked up his progress in the IFL (or whatever it is called). Not going that well...

Dry Rot
27-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks. Pity about the news....

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Shame, liked Aidan.

Greystache
28-09-2010, 05:36 PM
According to his Wikipedia-

O'Shea suffred an injury ridden year throughout 2010, with knee surgery and a serious groin injury preventing him from playing for the duration of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan_O'Shea

You think given he'll be 26 next season, has had injury issues recently, and his work ethic didn't appear great he's probably missed the boat.

G-Mo77
28-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I really don't know why clubs persist in throwing so much money into Irish projects. There has been very little return apart from a small few and I'd rather clubs, our club in particular put it's feelers out and search for someone in remote areas in Australia.

Greystache
28-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I really don't know why clubs persist in throwing so much money into Irish projects. There has been very little return apart from a small few and I'd rather clubs, our club in particular put it's feelers out and search for someone in remote areas in Australia.

Didn't we do that with Shane Thorne? Not what I'd consider a success either.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
28-09-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm still hoping our Fiji experiment will come to fruition

G-Mo77
28-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Didn't we do that with Shane Thorne? Not what I'd consider a success either.

I think so but I'd rather them trying to find someone who can actually play our game rather than wasting much more time and money on someone who doesn't.

How many successful Irish players have there been anyway? I can only think of Stynes, Kenelley, Clarke and O'hAilpin. There might be a few more that I have missed but most of those have only managed a handful of games here and there.

For a 20 year experiment it doesn't look all that good.

Axe Man
28-09-2010, 06:40 PM
I think so but I'd rather them trying to find someone who can actually play our game rather than wasting much more time and money on someone who doesn't.

How many successful Irish players have there been anyway? I can only think of Stynes, Kenelley, Clarke and O'hAilpin. There might be a few more that I have missed but most of those have only managed a handful of games here and there.

For a 20 year experiment it doesn't look all that good.

Sean Wight would be the other that springs to mind. The success of he and Stynes early in the piece has probably sustained the repeated attempts to uncover more success stories.

Axe Man
28-09-2010, 06:43 PM

Does anybody know what has happened with this? I haven't heard anything for a very long time. Is it dead and buried?

NoParkingOnMatchDays
28-09-2010, 07:44 PM
After the failure of some of our senior players in the finals Frank Bainimarama is being looked at by the club for a position in the leadership group.

BulldogBelle
29-09-2010, 07:03 PM
After the failure of some of our senior players in the finals Frank Bainimarama is being looked at by the club for a position in the leadership group.

Frank Bainimarama.... Love it! :)

Werent we also looking at guys in south africa?
Anyone know how thats gone/going?

bornadog
30-09-2010, 11:28 AM

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/is_dogs_a.jpg