PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have an annual game that is a thrashing?

bornadog
21-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I have only gone back the last three seasons, but why have we copped a thrashing from the ladder leader in the last three seasons under Eade?

Adelaide - by 74 points

Adelaide by 77 points

Geelong by 75 points

We will bounce back, but it must dent the teams confidence.

LostDoggy
21-07-2007, 03:02 PM
It's a worrying trend and while the Cats were in outstanding form I think the real issue is that our team is not as good as we and the media believed it to be. Eade talked this team up and it clearly hasn't delivered.

Credit to the Cats who have a great balance of talls and smalls along with match winners and lockdown types. The also never let up which isn't something we have been able to match this season against any other team.

We need to be blunt and say that there is a number of players playing for their careers in the next few weeks and lets hope the club and coach does not accept the sub-standard form and spirit that has crept into our team this year.

I know we are in about the same position as we were last year but in reality we are a long, long way off being a genuine finals contender.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2007, 03:28 PM
This year alone has been nothing short of pathetic.

Adelaide belted us with half a side out, St. Kilda thrashed us, Sydney mauled us, Kangaroos embarrassed us and now Geelong have obliterated us.

That's very poor, plus, losing to the worst side in the competition over the last four or five years (Carlton).

We have some fairly big holes in our list. In a bit of trouble, it would seem.

LostDoggy
21-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I know it's only "a week at a time", but really Round 20 - Adelaide at AAMI - is looking pretty scary.

bornadog
21-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I think we will put this behind us and hopefully play better next week, and you say Ms Bulldog, we have to take it a week at a time.

LostDoggy
21-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I think the beating on Friday night underlines where we are as club and typifies a season that has had some tantalising play in some games followed up by some of the most insipid performances we have seen. Games against Adelaide, Sydney and now Geelong have really exposed both our list and game plan as being flawed.

Last year I marvelled at some of our coast-to-coast goals that we scored mainly after the kick ins and we haven't been able to achieve that again against the better credentialed teams. They have simply not allowed the likes of McMahon and Gilbee the freedom or latitude to be the play makers for us again this year. Teams line North exposed our lack of quality talls and our midfield hasn't been as potent as previous years. The forward set-up is really a problem for us as well.
The guys coming back from the operations from last year does explain a bit of the patchy form but the problems run a lot deeper than that. As good as Eade is from a coaching perspective and Clayton from a recruiting one, it's evident that the mix isn't right.
Eade needs to be more demanding from the players and Clayton has had enough early selections to have unearthed a few more gems. Our list is nowhere near as deep as it should be and while the form of Higgins, Williams, Harbrow and Everitt has been encouraging, it has in some respect been as a bit of a smokescreen by diverting the fans and even the media's from properly examining an otherwise very suspect list.

There is a lot of work to do before we are a genuine finals contender.

LostDoggy
21-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately it seems to be a juggling act with what the coach/club can say publicly (to appease fans and give them short term hope) and what the realities may be. Even though there is an enormous amount of skill involved in this great game (from boot studders, to players, to coaches, to marketing) there is also luck - especially with recruiting and injuries, not to mention the draw (ie fixture).

Agree BB that the mix isn't yet right. We haven't really dominated a game this year. I only look to the positives in the young guys like Higgins, Everitt, Williams (super) because I need to take pluses from disappointing games. But I understand your valid point about them being a smoke screen. We are quite protected in the media in certain respects (ala Richmond but that's another story). I, foolishly perhaps, though we had a killer midfield. Not so sure now. McMahon (not a midfielder I know) has been disappointing since his injury (I've mentioned this elsewhere), Gia is frustrating in that he is not hard enough (and I don't mean soft sooky la la - there is no such thing in the AFL) but he appears not to chase hard enough and he's a seasoned player now, but he's not the only one. Cooney just does my head in. No 1 draft pick in the land (not his fault I know) but to show flashes of brilliance like last week, and then to be up on a striking charge the next during a poor performance, arrggh!

My Dad is in his mid 70's. Spoke to him today (he won't go to night games - too far) and he immediately asked if I "felt better" today. We talked about the game. In the end he said not to take it too seriously, forget last night, it's history, look forward to next week, the boys won't do that twice in a row, they realise what happened last night. He asks me specific questions etc (especially about MacDougall - he's still hoping he will come good), gets peeved when we get hit by injuries. He keeps me grounded.

My worry always is that we aren't a powerful club that can take the hard knocks like Essendon for example. Even Fremantle. I feel there is enormous pressure on our club to be successful to survive, more so than there is on other "AFL is a national competition, spread the word" clubs. This is what upsets me most when we fail on the big stage. I fret that it brings us one millimetre closer to extinction. I have no doubt Eade & Co know what they are doing but it takes time, money and a lot of luck. I'm fearful we don't have the time. Could be an unfounded fear, I don't know.

Following a football club is an emotional roller coaster - I might ramble about that elsewhere. I think this is the longest thread I have ever posted. I've gone off on tangents but hope it makes some sort of sense.

Dry Rot
21-07-2007, 11:10 PM
How come we don't fight it like the Swans?

LostDoggy
21-07-2007, 11:41 PM
How come we don't fight it like the Swans?

I'm not worried about the Swans or any other team. I'm just focusing on the way we are playing and performing plus having a look at the cattle available. Close losses don't do it for me either. We have been patient for things to start happening and Eade needs to get us back on track. Easier said than done but he talked up our chances and the team has not delivered.

BulldogBelle
21-07-2007, 11:48 PM
To use the term loosely - it was the game that we had to lose to shock them back into action.

Dry Rot
22-07-2007, 12:15 AM
To use the term loosely - it was the game that we had to lose to shock them back into action.

i fear it was the game that showed what we really are.

Bulldog Revolution
22-07-2007, 11:27 AM
I think the beating on Friday night underlines where we are as club and typifies a season that has had some tantalising play in some games followed up by some of the most insipid performances we have seen. Games against Adelaide, Sydney and now Geelong have really exposed both our list and game plan as being flawed.

Last year I marvelled at some of our coast-to-coast goals that we scored mainly after the kick ins and we haven't been able to achieve that again against the better credentialed teams. They have simply not allowed the likes of McMahon and Gilbee the freedom or latitude to be the play makers for us again this year. Teams line North exposed our lack of quality talls and our midfield hasn't been as potent as previous years. The forward set-up is really a problem for us as well.
The guys coming back from the operations from last year does explain a bit of the patchy form but the problems run a lot deeper than that. As good as Eade is from a coaching perspective and Clayton from a recruiting one, it's evident that the mix isn't right.
Eade needs to be more demanding from the players and Clayton has had enough early selections to have unearthed a few more gems. Our list is nowhere near as deep as it should be and while the form of Higgins, Williams, Harbrow and Everitt has been encouraging, it has in some respect been as a bit of a smokescreen by diverting the fans and even the media's from properly examining an otherwise very suspect list.

There is a lot of work to do before we are a genuine finals contender.

I think this sums a fair bit of our problems up.

We obviously have over estimated where we are at as a team both internally and externally. Our midfield far from being the dominant force it was last season has been consistently been exposed. I know our backline has struggled on occasions and we are clearly reliant on Harris to be switched on but for me a far larger part of the problem has been the amount of ball teams are able to get in there, either from the complete inability of our forwards to stop the ball coming out or our midfield/centre square struggles. The backline for me with Wight and Williams in it has looked better structured.

I was confident about the list before the season began but clearly it is not deep, and does have many issues: Ruck, midfield, and key position players. We have loads of flankers, wingman etc. We just dont appear to place enough emphasis on physicality/toughness/appetite for the contest when recruiting.

firstdogonthemoon
22-07-2007, 02:18 PM
It's a worrying trend and while the Cats were in outstanding form I think the real issue is that our team is not as good as we and the media believed it to be. Eade talked this team up and it clearly hasn't delivered.

I dont reckon Eade talked people into expecting more, I think he genuinely thought we were better than we showed on Friday. He would be v dissapointed but he said that was the worst game he has seen us play.

I think we talked ourselves into it - none of the Age tipsters tipped us - and for once they were all right. Hard to say it is the media when stuff like that happens.

All of the people whose opinions I value (some of whom post here) thought we would win or come close.

I dont think we are total rubbish - but I think the difference between our best and our worst is way too big. At our best we are a top four side - but obviously you have to do that for 22 rounds and not 11. Consistency seems to be our main problem.

We can argue about who we should have where, but what kills us is the errors. Not the risk taking but the poor decision making. We made loads of errors against the bombers, but they didnt hurt us.

We made loads of errors against the cats and it killed us.

Maybe we need to go back to basic skills class - I hate to point out specific players but I am gobsmacked by some of the mistakes Jordy makes often. Eagleton too has made some shockers, and I would have his children if he was single and I was a woman and I was single and was attracted to him.

And Darcy! Four clangers in four minutes or something.

It is a cultural thing to go into your shell when things get hard.

Maybe it is that our Leadership group who arent giving the kind of leadership that is needed. Not that what they are providing is wrong, just not right.

A fish rots from the head.

Go_Dogs
22-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Some interesting reading in here. Confidence and work rate seemed down across the board, but the two previous weeks had been quite pleasing. The inconsistency this year has been very disappointing, and concerns over our list depth cannot quickly be fixed. Personally, I don't think our mix is THAT far off the mark, but there are some areas that we need to improve on.

Dry Rot
22-07-2007, 08:11 PM
We just dont appear to place enough emphasis on physicality/toughness/appetite for the contest when recruiting.

Bingo.

The Coon Dog
22-07-2007, 08:12 PM
i fear it was the game that showed what we really are.

I tend to agree. I genuinely feel that the players went into the thinking they were some sort of chance.

Realistically, it showed were are a mid table type of team, who on their day can match it with some of the top teams as well as drop to the level of the competitions lesser lights.

It's pretty obvious that we need a tall power forward who can a) take a mark or b) create a contest. Look at Cameron Mooney. Not the most gifted footballer going around, but he made our life hell on Friday night. Andrew McDougall would do well to get a tape of the best & worst of Cameron Mooney & analyse what the difference is. Hopefully he can learn something.

bornadog
23-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Chris Grant said something interesting on Sunday. His asessement was that we got a little ahead of ourselves as we were fooled into thinking that after the Port Adelaide and Essendon games we were back on track. Grant basically said it was more the fact, how poorly Port and Essendon played, rather than how good we were. Grant went on to say that the team has not really clicked at all this year and they haven't been able to get their game going.

The reason I started this thread was to show that we have had these thrashing each year in the past, but we have bounced back, and its just one of those things in football. Look at West Coast last week, thrashed by 96 points, but once they got a few good players back, they beat Swans this week. However, I am far from confient next week and I don't know which bulldogs team is going to show up, but I will be there to support them.

LostDoggy
23-07-2007, 11:15 AM
True, you can bounce back after a belting but to lose Gilbee and Hahn and possibly Cooney, it's big challenge.

I'll be there on Friday night too but I won't be trotting to the Dome with a spring in my step like I did last Friday.

Bulldog Revolution
23-07-2007, 12:12 PM
True, you can bounce back after a belting but to lose Gilbee and Hahn and possibly Cooney, it's big challenge.

I'll be there on Friday night too but I won't be trotting to the Dome with a spring in my step like I did last Friday.

I'll be there also, and we should learn a bit about our resolve, and in some ways where we really are at. If we back that up with another pathetic performance then that will say something. If we play with the intensity, toughness, agression and effort required then that will also tell us something.

On Friday, and for most of the weekend, all seemed loss but the great thing about the game is you get an opportunity every week to atone for your sins. Until that opportunity is not there, and the season ends, I want to see what this group is made of.

Mantis
23-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I dont reckon Eade talked people into expecting more, I think he genuinely thought we were better than we showed on Friday. He would be v dissapointed but he said that was the worst game he has seen us play.

I think we talked ourselves into it - none of the Age tipsters tipped us - and for once they were all right. Hard to say it is the media when stuff like that happens.

All of the people whose opinions I value (some of whom post here) thought we would win or come close.

I dont think we are total rubbish - but I think the difference between our best and our worst is way too big. At our best we are a top four side - but obviously you have to do that for 22 rounds and not 11. Consistency seems to be our main problem.

We can argue about who we should have where, but what kills us is the errors. Not the risk taking but the poor decision making. We made loads of errors against the bombers, but they didnt hurt us.

We made loads of errors against the cats and it killed us.

Maybe we need to go back to basic skills class - I hate to point out specific players but I am gobsmacked by some of the mistakes Jordy makes often. Eagleton too has made some shockers, and I would have his children if he was single and I was a woman and I was single and was attracted to him.

And Darcy! Four clangers in four minutes or something.

It is a cultural thing to go into your shell when things get hard.

Maybe it is that our Leadership group who arent giving the kind of leadership that is needed. Not that what they are providing is wrong, just not right.

A fish rots from the head.

You have summed it up pretty well.

The expectation that we had before Friday's nights game I thought I was justified. After a very poor performance against the Kangaroos we had shown some improvement since. We went back to our old ways on Friday against Geelong and it sucked. When the going gets tough the players try and protect there own arse's by chasing easy kicks rather than doing the tough team-orientated things which the good teams do.

I would think that most of our players who play regularly in our team should be on notice over the coming weeks. It's pretty obvious that many of these and I'm talking about the players older than say 23 are not going to make us a better team. The leadership as you have suggested is poor at best, the middle tier have not stepped up and that is the reason why we aren't progressing as a team.

Eade has to make some tough decisions come post season, I think he has enough evidence now that many of our players aren't mentally tough enough. For the team to progress we have to make changes to the list and bring into the team players who will do these team things, players who will follow his instructions. players who turn up to play regardless and players who have the burning desire to achieve something during there footy career rather than just make enough easy coin to live off. If Eade continues to stick with many of these players he will fall by the wayside like many coaches have done in the past.

bornadog
24-07-2007, 04:15 PM
You have summed it up pretty well.

The expectation that we had before Friday's nights game I thought I was justified. After a very poor performance against the Kangaroos we had shown some improvement since. We went back to our old ways on Friday against Geelong and it sucked. When the going gets tough the players try and protect there own arse's by chasing easy kicks rather than doing the tough team-orientated things which the good teams do.

I would think that most of our players who play regularly in our team should be on notice over the coming weeks. It's pretty obvious that many of these and I'm talking about the players older than say 23 are not going to make us a better team. The leadership as you have suggested is poor at best, the middle tier have not stepped up and that is the reason why we aren't progressing as a team.

Eade has to make some tough decisions come post season, I think he has enough evidence now that many of our players aren't mentally tough enough. For the team to progress we have to make changes to the list and bring into the team players who will do these team things, players who will follow his instructions. players who turn up to play regardless and players who have the burning desire to achieve something during there footy career rather than just make enough easy coin to live off. If Eade continues to stick with many of these players he will fall by the wayside like many coaches have done in the past.

Boy one game and we have blown the season?? Thats how we all feel, but I am the eternal optimist and believe we still have a big chance for the finals.

Mantis
24-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Boy one game and we have blown the season?? Thats how we all feel, but I am the eternal optimist and believe we still have a big chance for the finals.

Not one game. There have been games scattered throughout the last 3 seasons where we have seriously let ourselves down. Do you want me to go through all of them for you?

So what if we make the finals, I don't just want to make the finals I want to contend for a premiership. Do you really think we are building a team that can win a flag in the not to distant future? I would like to hope so, but realistically I can't see it happening. We have to many players who under-perform in crunch games. Until we start getting an even contribution each and every week from the entire team we are still a million miles away from being a premiership threat.

bornadog
24-07-2007, 11:32 PM
So what if we make the finals, I don't just want to make the finals I want to contend for a premiership. Do you really think we are building a team that can win a flag in the not to distant future? I would like to hope so, but realistically I can't see it happening. We have to many players who under-perform in crunch games. Until we start getting an even contribution each and every week from the entire team we are still a million miles away from being a premiership threat.

Eade stated at the start of the season, the aim is to make the finals. His assessment is that teams that win premierships, play finals foootball for a number of years before they win a premiership. Its not just so what, its experience playing in finals and the pressure of the game.

If you also look at the teams that have won a premiership, they most often have a season with very few injuries. Injuries are not just an excuse, its a fact that take out some of your best players and most teams struggle. We still need to develop this team alot further before we can challenge for the big one, but on their day, this team can beat any one, however, as you say, we have to be more consistent.