PDA

View Full Version : One game a year supporters

G-Mo77
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't know if it's just me, one thing I hate about GF day is the "One game a year" supporters. The kind of supporters that barely watch the football at all during teh whole season. They couldn't care less how their teams plays but if they make the GF they're the most loyal and loud supporters ever. These idiots that live next to me have been yelling and screaming all day. I've never seen them in a Collingwood jumper, never seen a black and white scarf or anything to do with Collingwood at all near their house. They'll probably go to the nearest sports store, buy a jumper, put it on and carry on like they've been with them all year.

Maybe it's because I'm such a loyal supporter and I'm getting bitter for not seeing my team in a Grand Final ever but these kind of dick heads make me sick!

End of rant!

LostDoggy
02-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't know if it's just me, one thing I hate about GF day is the "One game a year" supporters. The kind of supporters that barely watch the football at all during teh whole season. They couldn't care less how their teams plays but if they make the GF they're the most loyal and loud supporters ever. These idiots that live next to me have been yelling and screaming all day. I've never seen them in a Collingwood jumper, never seen a black and white scarf or anything to do with Collingwood at all near their house. They'll probably go to the nearest sports store, buy a jumper, put it on and carry on like they've been with them all year.

Maybe it's because I'm such a loyal supporter and I'm getting bitter for not seeing my team in a Grand Final ever but these kind of dick heads make me sick!

End of rant!

I know what you mean.

I have two Bulldog supporters at work, who always finals tickets & stress about not being able to get a GF ticket. They don't go to the games all year & yet want tickets, it really annoys me. If we ever made the GF & they got tickets, but i didn't, i would be dirty.

chef
02-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Agree, It pisses me off when people who couldn't give a stuff about football getting to see their team play in a GF but people like us can't. It's just not fair:(.

BulldogBelle
02-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Guess I must annoy the crap out of you something chronic.

I'd be lucky to see one game per year.

I hold 2 Bulldogs Social Club Memberships and live in Woop Woop.

I came over for the finals to find the tickets costing a fortune.

Saw 3 matches. Barracked like the devil.

lemmon
02-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I suggest you stay off Facebook, its a haven for the part time supporter

GVGjr
02-10-2010, 07:09 PM

I think that if supporters take out some form of memberships then its irrelevant how many games they get to.
Kudos to you and any other interstater for supporting the club in whatever way you can.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM

This.

bornadog
02-10-2010, 07:17 PM
I think that if supporters take out some form of memberships then its irrelevant how many games they get to.
Kudos to you and any other interstater for supporting the club in whatever way you can.

Couldn't agree more, I think the OP is talking about supporters that live in Melbourne and don't go to games or support the club through membership tickets.

GVGjr
02-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Couldn't agree more, I think the OP is talking about supporters that live in Melbourne and don't go to games or support the club through membership tickets.

I understand the intent of the opening post and don't disagree with it but I do think our interstate and overseas supporters who get to or watch games where they can are still appreciated.

G-Mo77
02-10-2010, 07:42 PM

It was amazing I made a comment on Facebook about the one game a year supporter and my first reply was Go Pies from a friend who I didn't even know supported Collingwood. :D

I understand the intent of the opening post and don't disagree with it but I do think our interstate and overseas supporters who get to or watch games where they can are still appreciated.

Obviously they are, it was never my intention to bag them. I come from the country (well sort of) and know how hard it is to get to games. I'm a loud and proud supporter all season even if I can't make it, I despise the people who carry on like they are such loyal followers who only jump on when things are going good.

GVGjr
02-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Obviously they are, it was never my intention to bag them. I come from the country (well sort of) and know how hard it is to get to games. I'm a loud and proud supporter all season even if I can't make it, I despise the people who carry on like they are such loyal followers who only jump on when things are going good.

I knew exactly where you were coming from and I don't disagree with it.

LostDoggy
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
I cop a lot of crap off a mate who barracks for Collingwood. He likes to bag me out for supporting the Bulldogs, so last time he had a crack at me about it, I said;
"I might not support an overly successful club like Collingwood, but at least I actually SUPPORT my club. I actually buy my membership and attend games. Once you start paying your hard earned money on your club, only then will you be a supporter. You're just a follower".

Sadly, he's still as bad as ever.

EasternWest
02-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I cop a lot of crap off a mate who barracks for Collingwood. He likes to bag me out for supporting the Bulldogs, so last time he had a crack at me about it, I said;
"I might not support an overly successful club like Collingwood, but at least I actually SUPPORT my club. I actually buy my membership and attend games. Once you start paying your hard earned money on your club, only then will you be a supporter. You're just a follower".

Spot on Sophie. If I'd written that post it'd be identical. Great minds etc.

KT31
03-10-2010, 12:51 AM

Imagine he will be worse this week.

We used to have a rule at my old work,if it was club member against club member then it was open slather.
But if someone was having a go and not a club member , we would all have a crack back.

AndrewP6
03-10-2010, 12:55 AM

I'm with you there, a mate at work is going to be unbearable. I've just had two weeks hols, and go back Monday. Not looking forward to that at all. In his defense, he is a member, and coughed up the cash for both GF's, but it's the relentless "We're the greatest" that gets to me. And he works in the room next to mine. :(

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 04:10 AM
Agree with what your saying. But another question is, would you give up watching 24 games in a season to watch the last game in September? :P

Chicago1
03-10-2010, 06:41 AM
... but I do think our interstate and overseas supporters who get to or watch games where they can are still appreciated.

"Shucks, folks, I'm speechless." http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/westernbulldogs1/cowardlylion-1.jpg :p

Start of the 2011 footy season... I'll be there!(Unless we play in Perth or somewhere in the first three rounds, then I'll fly out later in the season.) I'm glad now that I didn't fly out for the PFs and GF. I would have had to have left last Wednesday anyway, before the rematch. On the bright side... I wouldn't have been there yesterday for the Collingwood win.:D

chef
03-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm surrounded by nuffies at work:(, thank god after today I have two weeks off:).

craigsahibee
03-10-2010, 10:06 AM
"September Members". Can't stand them

SonofScray
03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I went into the Music show at Jeff's Shed yesterday and was astounded by the number of people in Pies / Saints merch wandering around, lying on the grass around Crown while the game was on! Not even watching the game!

Why bother donning the colours and proclaiming your support if you aren't even doing it!

Mofra
03-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Essendon in 2000 took the cake, it was never worse

KT31
03-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I went into the Music show at Jeff's Shed yesterday and was astounded by the number of people in Pies / Saints merch wandering around, lying on the grass around Crown while the game was on! Not even watching the game!

Why bother donning the colours and proclaiming your support if you aren't even doing it!

Maybe they hadn't sobered up from the week before.:D

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Yep, me too. I must annoy the crap out of him too.

I live in Tasmania and buy a membership and social club memebership each year and get to see one game a year. Actually, didnt get to one last year.

I honestly think the club would be pleased to have memebers like us because we REALLY show our loyalty to the club. And yes, I will certainly make my deserved claim for a GF ticket if we make it.

It isnt as easy as just jumping on a tram for us!

G-Mo77
03-10-2010, 05:49 PM

I live in Tasmania and buy a membership and social club memebership each year and get to see one game a year. Actually, didnt get to one last year.

I honestly think the club would be pleased to have memebers like us because we REALLY show our loyalty to the club. And yes, I will certainly make my deserved claim for a GF ticket if we make it.

Completely missed the point although I've come to expect that from you anyway. :rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
03-10-2010, 06:44 PM

You've completely missed the point!

soupman
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Essendon in 2000 took the cake, it was never worse

That was terrible. That year was year 6 for me when everyone is free to change their team and I was in this tiny minority who didn't support Essendon at my school. Was rather fun the monday after round 21 though.

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Imagine when we win our next one. I think we will have the most ever September Supporters, along with all the "yeah bulldogs are my second team or I wanted you guys to win" supporters

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Completely missed the point although I've come to expect that from you anyway. :rolleyes:

Having read the entire thread I was not the only person that took the inference this way ..... but I have come to expect this sort of retort from you though.

G-Mo77
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Edit: Not worth it.....

LostDoggy
03-10-2010, 09:49 PM
My friend from Norway (he's on exchange in Aus this year) has just (maybe..5 months ago?) completely jumped on the Collingwood bandwagon. Spewwwww. I tried and failed to get him on the Dogs, people. Unfortunate. Now the filth just spreads further and further across the world.

Curly5
04-10-2010, 12:32 PM
That was terrible. That year was year 6 for me when everyone is free to change their team and I was in this tiny minority who didn't support Essendon at my school. Was rather fun the monday after round 21 though.

Who invented this rule and how did it pass me by?? :D

I managed one game this year, having to travel to Melbourne for a family occasion, and it was Round 18 v North, when Baz kicked 7. :)

soupman
04-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Who invented this rule and how did it pass me by?? :D

I believe that rule only applied for those whose allegiances were for sale to the highest bidder. As a result I have found that in recent years Essendon supporters are the easiest to convert to Dog's, just make sure they actually actively support the doggies and tell them how great value a membership is. Sp far 3 converted, with one being a regular attendee and the other on/off attendees with memberships.

Murphy'sLore
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Have told a couple of friends who are half-hearted Pies fans that if they're going to be half-hearted about it, they should transfer their allegiance to a club who needs them, not waste their support on that rabble.

(And once they start following a decent club, hopefully they would stop being half-hearted and become passionate Doggies supporters...;) Ah, it's all a cunning plan!)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I have had people ring me less than one minute after we've lost the preliminary final to see if I have grand final tickets available now that my team is out. They have no shame and don't even ask if I'm upset. This year it seemed the phone calls started coming before the siren had finished ringing.

The Coon Dog
04-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I have had people ring me less than one minute after we've lost the preliminary final to see if I have grand final tickets available now that my team is out. They have no shame and don't even ask if I'm upset. This year it seemed the phone calls started coming before the siren had finished ringing.

I hope you told them to go forth & multiply!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes this year I only had two words for them and one of them was "off"

LostDoggy
04-10-2010, 04:04 PM

That's awful!

LostDoggy
04-10-2010, 05:09 PM

1993 was just as bad, with the “Baby Bombers”. It really sucked growing up in Essendon in the late 80s, early 90s, let me tell you… I think that's the year we missed the finals after coming 2nd the year before too. I was 11 and very unpopular at school, but as I said to my mum at the time, I'd rather be beaten up for being a Bulldog supporter than follow Essendon.

That reminds me of 1990, when my uncle tried to convert me to Collingwood and failed. And that sort of brings me to my next thought: If it pisses you off that one-day-a-year supporters are now revelling in the streets, just think — they barrack for the Pies. Take it from me, who made the conscious choice in 1990 to reject them, missed out on a flag, and have never looked back: Better to be a Bulldog and a loser than a Magpie and celebrating a win. I want a flag enough it hurts — but not THAT much…

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
School is full of 'One game a year supporters'.
If the team they 'support' win then theyre all in your face! If their team loses, then they dont even give a crap! Stupid bandwagoners!

Ozza
07-10-2010, 11:53 AM
The way I look at it is - that their is a distinct difference between a supporter and a barracker in my mind.

You are a supporter if you are a member of the club.
You are a barracker if you barrack for the side by don't buy a membership.

Whether you're in Melbourne, Western Australia, Chicago, South Australia or Echuca - if you buy a membership - then you are a supporter in my mind - no matter how many games you can make it to.

Greystache
07-10-2010, 12:07 PM
The way I look at it is - that their is a distinct difference between a supporter and a barracker in my mind.

You are a supporter if you are a member of the club.
You are a barracker if you barrack for the side by don't buy a membership.

Whether you're in Melbourne, Western Australia, Chicago, South Australia or Echuca - if you buy a membership - then you are a supporter in my mind - no matter how many games you can make it to.

Perfect analysis Ozza, I agree entirely.

I have 2 Collingwood supporters here at work who are classic example of the difference between supporters and barrackers. One has been a member (with social club) for 21 years, he lived in Sydney for 8 years and in the last 3 years he's been back in Melbourne he has barely been to a game because he has 2 young kids. When I asked why he still buys a membership every year he said it's because he wants to support the club even though he only watches them on TV.

The other is a girl who has never mentioned football before the Grand Final, has never bought a memebership, and only watches on TV. Yet when neither got a ticket to the grand final she was the one who made a scene about it, that is your definition of barracker.

bornadog
07-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Perfect analysis Ozza, I agree entirely.

I have 2 Collingwood supporters here at work who are classic example of the difference between supporters and barrackers. One has been a member (with social club) for 21 years, he lived in Sydney for 8 years and in the last 3 years he's been back in Melbourne he has barely been to a game because he has 2 young kids. When I asked why he still buys a membership every year he said it's because he wants to support the club even though he only watches them on TV.

The other is a girl who has never mentioned football before the Grand Final, has never bought a memebership, and only watches on TV. Yet when neither got a ticket to the grand final she was the one who made a scene about it, that is your definition of barracker.

Just listen to their club song, all about barrackers:p

LostDoggy
07-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I know a guy who claims to be a Carlton supporter yet could never tell us who the Captain of the club was or the President. Same bloke got invited to the GF one year through his business and basically drank all the free grog he could and hardly watched any of the game. Geez it shits me!!

Doc26
09-10-2010, 05:26 PM
We haven't had the luxury of having 'one game a year supporters'. If we did I would be too over the moon to give a rats clacker who they were.

I feel for our 'one game a year supporters' if they leave it up to a prelim. Having been to the last seven losing ones I'm torn, bitter and twisted but still live in hope.