PDA

View Full Version : Wallis & Liberatore - Officially Bulldogs!!

The Coon Dog
05-10-2010, 11:07 AM
The F/S bidding process has been completed.

Mitch Wallis will be the Bulldog's first round selection & Tom Liberatore will be the Bulldog's second round selection.

aker39
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Who were the clubs that bid for them.

The Coon Dog
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Who were the clubs that bid for them.

Port Adelaide (Wallis) & Sydney (Liberatore).

Sedat
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Sydney (Liberatore).
No surprise there - a 'Sydney' type player if ever there was one.

chef
05-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Excellent.

DOG GOD
05-10-2010, 11:20 AM
There was NO chance that a club wasnt going to bid on them. Typical that WC had no bidders on their f/s so can use their last live pick.

Greystache
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Good to have the boys on board.

In the end we seem to have pretty much paid market rate for them both. We haven't had much luck with F/S selections, Ayce Cordy would have only been selected one pick earlier than ours.

stefoid
05-10-2010, 11:34 AM
nah, its all stage managed. Its no coincidence that the teams just before our picks 'put in a bid' to keep us honest.

Mantis
05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
In the end we seem to have pretty much paid market rate for them both. We haven't had much luck with F/S selections, Ayce Cordy would have only been selected one pick earlier than ours.

The clubs generally talk amongst themselves in relation to the F/S picks to determine who puts the bid in, it happened with Cordy (another 3 or 4 clubs were very interested) and I have no doubt it would have happened in this case.

Great to have both signed up now and I look forward to watching them run around in the Bulldogs colours in the not too distant future.

Greystache
05-10-2010, 11:40 AM
The clubs generally talk amongst themselves in relation to the F/S picks to determine who puts the bid in, it happened with Cordy (another 3 or 4 clubs were very interested) and I have no doubt it would have happened in this case.

Fair enough.

OLD SCRAGGer
05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm a little P@ssed at bidding process. RAPT to have Little Wally & Little Libba at club, but we SHOULDN'T have had to go through bidding process at all. Think it was because of what Geelong had with Ablett etc....??

stefoid
05-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm a little P@ssed at bidding process. RAPT to have Little Wally & Little Libba at club, but we SHOULDN'T have had to go through bidding process at all. Think it was because of what Geelong had with Ablett etc....??

Dont sweat it, they never got two F/S in the same compromised draft. This could be just as good as their Bartel+Ablett deal.

soupman
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM

To be fair the only reason you are whinging is because it would be better for us to get it cheaper. If it was Geelong again you'd be rapt that they didn't get a repeat of the Ablett scenario. It's a much better and fairer system now.

Curly5
05-10-2010, 12:05 PM
The two boys will speak at a press conference at 12.40.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Great news!! Welcome to the kennel (officially) Mitch & Tom. :)

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
There was NO chance that a club wasnt going to bid on them. Typical that WC had no bidders on their f/s so can use their last live pick.

This could be just as good a result for us as our two boys.

WC have picks 4, 26 & 28 already.
They have 4 rookies to elevate plus Brennan F/S.

Stack wants to go to WA
If WC use their last pick for Stack we could end up with pick 45 for him - that's about 40 places better than he deserves.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I hate this bidding system. It's childish. Everyone on this planet even those who don't have communication in Africa knew we were going to take Libba & Wallis - so Sydney and Freo go "Yeh we wanna bid for them" ie "We wanna force a rival club to use their first 2 picks". It's a pretty poor system IMO.

On a positive note, hello future. Can't wait to see the pic of them in their jumpers :D

soupman
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I hate this bidding system. It's childish. Everyone on this planet even those who don't have communication in Africa knew we were going to take Libba & Wallis - so Sydney and Freo go "Yeh we wanna bid for them" ie "We wanna force a rival club to use their first 2 picks". It's a pretty poor system IMO.

On a positive note, hello future. Can't wait to see the pic of them in their jumpers :D

However, it does mean we get them for their true value. SO far the bidding system has been shown to work. Cordy was rated as a first rounder, we spent a first rounder on him. Wallis was rated as a first rounder, we spent a first rounder on him. Liberatore was rated as a second rounder, we used a second rounder on him. Brennan for West Coast wasn't rated, West Coast will use their last pick on him.

Be assured that on the open market the likes of Cordy and Wallis wouldn'tve made it to our pick anyway, so treat them as bonuses.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Be assured that on the open market the likes of Cordy and Wallis wouldn'tve made it to our pick anyway, so treat them as bonuses.

Good way to look at, good reply.

Ozza
05-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Whether the boys end up being guns or just end up ok players - its exciting to have them both on board - and a great prospect to be able to watch their careers as bulldogs.
Steve Wallis, in particular, was a favourite of mine in my early watching days - so I'm looking forward to watch the whole career of the new 'Wally'. They seem like good young blokes too.

BornInDroopSt'54
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Ted Whittens - it's hard for a son to match the glory of the father. Good luck to Mitch and Tom.
Amazingly 'sons of' recently have outshone their fathers - Serge and Steve Silvagni, Bull and Matthew Richardson and it could be argued John and Matthew Scarlett. Their fathers were mainly lumbering try hards yet the sons were skilled and mercurial. Normally the genes are diluted, yet not in these cases; mum must have contributed.
Lets hope that's the case with our boys (not that their dads were lumberers of course).

Mofra
05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Does Brett Heady have a son eligible for the draft soon? :D

Sockeye Salmon
05-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Ted Whittens - it's hard for a son to match the glory of the father. Good luck to Mitch and Tom.
Amazingly 'sons of' recently have outshone their fathers - Serge and Steve Silvagni, Bull and Matthew Richardson and it could be argued John and Matthew Scarlett. Their fathers were mainly lumbering try hards yet the sons were skilled and mercurial. Normally the genes are diluted, yet not in these cases; mum must have contributed.
Lets hope that's the case with our boys.

Dustin Fletcher would have his old man covered fairly easily as well.

Darcy would be close.

Curly5
05-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Early days, but Billy and Liam Picken?

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Lets hope that's the case with our boys (not that their dads were lumberers of course).

Hello Ben Cousins

G-Mo77
05-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Does Brett Heady have a son eligible for the draft soon? :D

LOL I was talking about that last night.

chef
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
http://yfrog.com/3d5ajij.th.jpg

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 03:11 PM
http://yfrog.com/3d5ajij.th.jpg

Ha! those jumpers look 5 sizes too big ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
05-10-2010, 03:56 PM

Shaun Higgins and his dad. So no reason to think that Tom and Mitch won't outshine their dad's careers.

jazzadogs
05-10-2010, 04:14 PM
No surprises, but still nice to have it confirmed.

Mantis
05-10-2010, 04:31 PM
A good read: Like father, like son (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/103758/default.aspx)

Sounds like the boys are very level headed and fully understand that getting drafted was the easy bit.

stefoid
05-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Whats the goss on will Beasly and Lauchlan Hunter?

chef
05-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Ooh, I like this bit...

'The Bulldogs will have another two chances to benefit from the father-son rule in the coming years with 15-year-old pair Will Beasley and Lachie Hunter on their radar.

Beasley (son of 154-gamer Simon) and Hunter (son of 130-gamer Mark) will be available in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.'

Greystache
05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Whats the goss on will Beasly and Lauchlan Hunter?

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5832&highlight=lachlan+hunter

Dancin' Douggy
05-10-2010, 06:48 PM
It's one thing to maybe get a bargain in the draft.
It's a totally different thing drafting kids with built in passion for the jumper.
Priceless commodity

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Did anybody just see that quick interview with "Mitch Wallace" on Channel 9?
Come on man

Desipura
05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Did anybody just see that quick interview with "Mitch Wallace" on Channel 9?
Come on man

I did see the interview with the incorrect spelling. Gee Wally jnr spoke in a very mature manner. Sounded like a leader.

dogman
05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
I found this quote strange in an article on the AFL website;

"Liberatore has been secured with their second pick, currently No.40, following the Sydney Swans' bid for the inside midfielder."

Why currently No40? I thought it was fixed. Can they change the order?

Then I also received an email from the Bulldogs announcing the great news and that had a similar announcement.;

"The Bulldogs secured the highly rated duo under the father/son rule this morning ahead of the 2011 NAB AFL Draft.
Following today’s bidding meeting Wallis was taken with Pick 22 and Liberatore with Pick 40*.
*Pick subject to change"

Mantis
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM

"Liberatore has been secured with their second pick, currently No.40, following the Sydney Swans' bid for the inside midfielder."

Then I also received an email from the Bulldogs announcing the great news and that had a similar announcement.;

"The Bulldogs secured the highly rated duo under the father/son rule this morning ahead of the 2011 NAB AFL Draft.
Following today’s bidding meeting Wallis was taken with Pick 22 and Liberatore with Pick 40*.
*Pick subject to change"

It could change dependant on clubs like us who have a compensatory pick from GC. If it's used this year it will change the draft order.

dogman
05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Our compo pick is before Sydney's pick of 39. So doesn't make sense.

divvydan
05-10-2010, 09:11 PM
It would still be our second round pick but if say four clubs use their compensation picks this year, our second round pick becomes 44 rather than 40.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 09:11 PM
A great result! Im excited!
Would either of these 2 boys get the prestigious number 6?

GVGjr
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM

*Pick subject to change"

The order might change depending on who uses the compo picks or not.
The basics that the Swans natural 2nd round pick is before our natural pick means that the Swans could nominate Libba and we had to use the next natural draft pick.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Lets hope that Libba and Wallis junior can make a dynasty of their own and see a premiership in the near future.

Can't wait for the debut games next year.

Go Dogs 2011..................

Mantis
05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Would either of these 2 boys get the prestigious number 6?

Both their fathers numbers have been reserved for these 2.

LostDoggy
05-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Ooh, I like this bit...

'The Bulldogs will have another two chances to benefit from the father-son rule in the coming years with 15-year-old pair Will Beasley and Lachie Hunter on their radar.

Beasley (son of 154-gamer Simon) and Hunter (son of 130-gamer Mark) will be available in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft.'

:D

I am loving this father son business.

ledge
06-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Both their fathers numbers have been reserved for these 2.

Think I would take 6 over 39.

KT31
06-10-2010, 12:18 AM

Not if your Dad won a Brownlow in it.:p

ledge
06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Good point.

Mr.1975
06-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Very happy to see the boys down at the club, a bit concerned that I used to watch and cheer for their dads not so long ago.. as an Essendon mate of mine, who is a friend of both Mitch & Tom said- "Mitch will be a premiership captain one day" Here's hoping!

Ghost Dog
06-10-2010, 10:37 AM
That's it! we need a breeding program! Ryan G. - feel free to have as many babies as you like! ^_^

ledge
06-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Very happy to see the boys down at the club, a bit concerned that I used to watch and cheer for their dads not so long ago.. as an Essendon mate of mine, who is a friend of both Mitch & Tom said- "Mitch will be a premiership captain one day" Here's hoping!

He already is.

LostDoggy
06-10-2010, 10:55 AM
That's it! we need a breeding program! Ryan G. - feel free to have as many babies as you like! ^_^

So far I haven't wanted to have children, but if it's for the greater good I'll volunteer to have Griff's baby. ;)

Mr.1975
06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
He already is.
thanks for that, but were talking AFL seniors here and in the future...

BornInDroopSt'54
06-10-2010, 11:53 AM

39 covered his entire back. He was so tiny, passing to him was like trying to hit a stamp witha drop punt.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Go forth and multiply.

LostDoggy
06-10-2010, 03:55 PM

However, it does mean we get them for their true value. SO far the bidding system has been shown to work. Cordy was rated as a first rounder, we spent a first rounder on him. Wallis was rated as a first rounder, we spent a first rounder on him. Liberatore was rated as a second rounder, we used a second rounder on him. Brennan for West Coast wasn't rated, West Coast will use their last pick on him.

At the end of the day, this can also backfire on a club. The Bulldogs can say about a father-son prospect, “No, we wanted him but not with our first-round pick because he's only rated a 3rd rounder” and the club who bid for him is now forced to take him with THEIR first pick. So basically it's giving an advantage where our first pick counts for more because their father played for us, but not an advantage where we're getting a gun player for peanuts, like Ablett at pick 40. (Was it 40? I think it was…)

I just love calling him “Billy” when we play Collingwood. It does touch a nerve, can see it in the faces of the older Pies fans.

It's one thing to maybe get a bargain in the draft.
It's a totally different thing drafting kids with built in passion for the jumper.
Priceless commodity

I don't really want to debate this until the end of time, so I'll say here and now this is just my own personal opinion but I think very few players have ever loved the Bulldogs as much as Libba and Wallis did, and I'm so happy to see that passion in their boys, and you're right — it's a priceless commodity.

LostDoggy
06-10-2010, 03:59 PM

So far I haven't wanted to have children, but if it's for the greater good I'll volunteer to have Griff's baby. ;)

Looks like a competition about to spring up! Ghost Dog vs Suz 32…

Mantis
06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
At the end of the day, this can also backfire on a club. The Bulldogs can say about a father-son prospect, “No, we wanted him but not with our first-round pick because he's only rated a 3rd rounder” and the club who bid for him is now forced to take him with THEIR first pick. So basically it's giving an advantage where our first pick counts for more because their father played for us, but not an advantage where we're getting a gun player for peanuts, like Ablett at pick 40. (Was it 40? I think it was…)

Ablett was not a gun as a junior and probably would have only been a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The problem was the year Hawkins was selected with a 3rd round selection when it was widely agreed that he would have been a top 3 pick.... On what he has shown so far the Cats got ripped off using a 3rd round pick.

ledge
06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Hawkins is the most over rated player I have seen, tends to have Everitts disease where they cant find a position for him.
Expect him to be traded next year unless Geelong fall away badly and decide he is needed.

LostDoggy
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Ablett was not a gun as a junior and probably would have only been a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

The problem was the year Hawkins was selected with a 3rd round selection when it was widely agreed that he would have been a top 3 pick.... On what he has shown so far the Cats got ripped off using a 3rd round pick.

I stand corrected.

The Coon Dog
14-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Meet the draftees on ALF website:

Mitch Wallis:
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/wallisx.jpg

Kevin Sheehan says: Has great hands and work ethic, reads game extremely well and uses the football smartly. Captained Vic Metro in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, where he averaged 28 disposals at 83 per cent efficiency in three matches before being injured.

In his own words

What type of player are you?
An onballer who has the ability to play inside and outside. A leader who has a large work ethic and can accumulate possession. Very passionate about the game and can push myself to win games.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Joel Selwood. Relentless attack on the ball. Huge engine, gut-busting running. Very supportive of his teammates. Can play an inside role but also a receiving role.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Ability to adapt to the game by changing my game, leadership, direction, work at the clearances, I finish games well, following team structures, coachability and love of the game.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Agility, strength and speed. I also need to improve my aerobic capacity through conditioning to adapt at the elite level, and following up on my possessions.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Western Bulldogs. My father played for them and I went to their games from an early age. I love their style of play and the way they go about it.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My father. He knows the game very well and has loads of experience. He helped me work on my areas of weakness and continued to improve my strengths as footballer. He offers advice and goes through each game I play with me, identifying what I did well and what I need to work on. He is also a mentor.

Tom Liberatore:
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/Liberatorex.jpg

Kevin Sheehan says: Wins clearances and has quick clean hands. Hard in contested situations and team orientated. Averaged 24 disposals with the Cannons, five clearances and four tackles. Neat left-foot kick and All-Australian at under-18 level in 2010.

In his own words

What type of player are you?
An inside midfielder who wins his own ball and is slowly developing an outside game. I'm solid at stoppages but need work on an acceleration, agility and good kicking.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Lenny Hayes, because I am quite strong at the inside game but can also make good decisions under pressure.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Stoppage work, tackling, winning the contested ball and decision making.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Agility, acceleration, marking, handball receives and gut-busting running.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Western Bulldogs because of family involvements.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My eldest brother, because he has always taught me to put others first, not get ahead of myself in life, always respond positively to bad days and show character.

Mofra
15-11-2010, 10:15 AM
If these guys end up anywhere near Lenny Hayes & Joel Selwood we'd find out whether Eade can still do cartwheels. Happy reading.