PDA

View Full Version : The end of an era

strebla
13-10-2010, 01:20 PM
With the retirement of BJ it has closed a chapter of the most consistant football the dogs have achieved although we never got to the big dance.
On reflection the reasons for our consistancy for mine are in 2 parts off field we have been led by David Smorgan better than we have been in my memory of this club .More importantly I think is a core of five legends in Chris Grant ,Luke Darcy ,Rohan Smith ,Scott West and of course BJ himself they typified loyalty ,integrity and sheer hard work players want to come to our club because of the profesional way our players carry themselves.
The legacy of these 5 great warriors will forever be our great club and although they never tasted the unlimate success our future success I believe will be traced back to these men and what they have left behind and I just wanted to say thank-you

LostDoggy
13-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Wholeheartedly agree!
Those 5 have been absolutely fantastic for the club, and a few of them still contribute to the club now, even though they have retired!
Do you think anyone on our current list, will continue the era? Or start their own?
Who will be the next dynamite player for the Red, White and Blue?

strebla
13-10-2010, 10:50 PM
I think Robert Murphy has the credentials along with Brian Lake and am hoping Cooney and Griffen really ramp it up and become the leaders we need on and off the field!!!

LostDoggy
14-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Mate ...Good thread, but i don't think that our good run is at an end at all. I am pretty happy with our trading and drafting this year , along with the emergance of players like Grant and Jones I will go into next season confident that we will preform better than OK.

OLD SCRAGGer
14-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Mate ...Good thread, but i don't think that our good run is at an end at all. I am pretty happy with our trading and drafting this year , along with the emergance of players like Grant and Jones I will go into next season confident that we will preform better than OK.

TOTALLY agree Western Monkey :) I'm VERY confident about 2011

Desipura
14-10-2010, 10:03 AM
We have lost 2 ageing champions in Johnno & to a lesser extent Aker (who were no where near our best players). Eagleton has gone as well who offered us experience.
All of the above had lost their pace and did not have a big influence in many games this year.
We have replaced them with 2 genuine footballers in Libba & Wallis and some recycled players who were highly rated as youngsters in Vespa & Shakira.
Add Sherman to the list and we have recruited quick players which is what we lacked due to having so many ageing players on our list this season.

LostDoggy
15-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Ward is our next 300 game superstar. Cooney, griff and lake are right up there though

strebla
16-10-2010, 12:21 PM

I by no means think we will bottom out I was trying to say how in the eighties we lost players and bottomed out badly but we now have a much more proffesional group which i believe is owed to the 5 players listed I am extremely exited by our future