PDA

View Full Version : Reporters

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Is there a reporter who really annoys you?

For some reason Greg Denham really annoys me when he is on KB's show on SEN. Is there a "reporter" with less of a clue than this bloke?

Last week he had Andrew Swallow signed, sealed and delivered to GWS but suprise, suprise the next day North announce they have signed him to a new contract. Last year he said that Fev was a million to one to go to Brisbane because that's what Gubby Allen had told him. He even bagged a caller to KB's show who insisted that Fev was moving there.

Well Greg your job isnt just parroting the party line that is fed to you by footy departments. It's to look critically at information given to you, verify it with your sources and then ask the hard questions.

"King of the whispers"? Pah! Do yourself a favour Greg and find a village that needs an idiot and move there pronto. The job you have at the moment is obviously to much for you.

Throughandthrough
28-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I follow (too many) of the reporters on twitter

This is a typical news day

Reporter a "The Western Bulldogs have just announced that..."
2 seconds later
Reporter b" AFL.com has just announced that......."
2 seconds later
Reporter c"Western Bulldogs have announced that...."
3 seconds later (etc etc)

45 minutes to an hour later

Hutchy "My Mail is that the Western Bulldogs will announce that................"

bornadog
28-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I follow (too many) of the reporters on twitter

This is a typical news day

Reporter a "The Western Bulldogs have just announced that..."
2 seconds later
Reporter b" AFL.com has just announced that......."
2 seconds later
Reporter c"Western Bulldogs have announced that...."
3 seconds later (etc etc)

45 minutes to an hour later

Hutchy "My Mail is that the Western Bulldogs will announce that................"

They can't seem to get their own sources anymore. Its all lazy reporting, picked up from the internet, or from clubs etc.

Cyberdoggie
28-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah Greg is trying to make his name "the news breaker" but he's wrong more than he is right.

I think a lot of these journo's are under pressure to do what Hutchy does but perhaps they don't have the same contacts he does.

Which ones don't i like?

I can't stand the two idiots on KB's show, Denham and Smith. Who reads the Australian anyway!

Sheehan and Wilson annoy me as well.

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Which ones don't i like?

I can't stand the two idiots on KB's show, Denham and Smith. Who reads the Australian anyway!

Smith gets on my tit's a bit as well. He's got huge tickets on himself. Because he is articulate he thinks he is hugely intelligent. In reality he is just an intellectual bully who refuses to look at an opposing point of view and often resorts to simply shouting over anyone who disagrees with him.

And you're right. Who does read the Australian?

GVGjr
28-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I think you are underselling Patrick Smith there Twodogs.

For the hour that he is on with KB I think if you edited out about 10 minutes of rubbish (often caused by KB) the rest of what he says is pretty good and very thoughtful.

I'm not sure that KB does the right thing by his guests either. He certainly makes a mockery of Mark Allen who I really enjoy listening to his golf segments.

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 01:33 PM
I think you are underselling Patrick Smith there Twodogs.

For the hour that he is on with KB I think if you edited out about 10 minutes of rubbish (often caused by KB) the rest of what he says is pretty good and very thoughtful.

I'm not sure that KB does the right thing by his guests either. He certainly makes a mockery of Mark Allen who I really enjoy listening to his golf segments.

I think that KB does a great job calling Smith's bluff. Often Smith will be ranting and raving on about some percieved problem he has with something and Bartlett will pull him up and pointed out the flaw in his logic.

Smith is one of those people who pride themselves on saying what they think when all they have done is say the first thing that comes into their mind. There's a huge difference between the two and Smith is often guilty of deriding others who disagree with him. His mind is a closed trap and I dont find him very thought provoking at all.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I think that KB does a great job calling Smith's bluff. Often Smith will be ranting and raving on about some percieved problem he has with something and Bartlett will pull him up and pointed out the flaw in his logic.

Smith is one of those people who pride themselves on saying what they think when all they have done is say the first thing that comes into their mind. There's a huge difference between the two and Smith is often guilty of deriding others who disagree with him. His mind is a closed trap and I dont find him very thought provoking at all.

Smith was a goose when he captained Prahran CC and nothing has changed

GVGjr
28-10-2010, 01:43 PM

I'm sure I heard him admit to that point.

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 01:43 PM

I do find it farcical when he starts on about on field violence.

Hypocritical, much?

Sockeye Salmon
28-10-2010, 02:10 PM
KB annoys me because he's such an AFL sychophant. If you close your eyes you can imagine his words coming straight out of Dimwitiou's mouth.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 02:19 PM
One "reporter" i can't stand is Matt Thompson from SEN.

He over-embellishes everything in his delivery. Miniscule facts he'll treat as breaking news and, he'll recap old rubbish more than Fox Sports News, adding more emphasis each time.

The Coon Dog
28-10-2010, 02:27 PM
One "reporter" i can't stand is Matt Thompson from SEN.

He over-embellishes everything in his delivery. Miniscule facts he'll treat as breaking news and, he'll recap old rubbish more than Fox Sports News, adding more emphasis each time.

Did you hear him trying to grill Rocket at the presser over ----'- departure? Really made a tool of himself, suffice to say that wont be forgotten I wouldn't think by Rocket.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Thankfully i didn't.

I texted in once after hearing of his age. I had mild respect for him beforehand - not knowing his background, but once i found out he was just a baby (25 y.old from memory) everything after has just been ignored on my part, apart from the unavoidable annoying delivery as mentioned.

Trying to make name for himself.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 02:41 PM
KB annoys me because he's such an AFL sychophant. If you close your eyes you can imagine his words coming straight out of Dimwitiou's mouth.

It may well be the other way round. KB runs the AFL (which is why he seems to be on every committee and gets a daily forum to air his agenda) -- Demi is just his puppet.

Or else they are just different orifices on the same body.

azabob
28-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Thankfully i didn't.

I texted in once after hearing of his age. I had mild respect for him beforehand - not knowing his background, but once i found out he was just a baby (25 y.old from memory) everything after has just been ignored on my part, apart from the unavoidable annoying delivery as mentioned.

Trying to make name for himself.

What do you mean by you lost respect for him because of his age? What is his background?

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 03:16 PM
What do you mean by you lost respect for him because of his age? What is his background?

For such efforts as that eluded too by TCD, the fact he's only seen 'modern' football. No idea what his background is. If you've listened to him you'll know what i mean. He's not a football brain, he's a dime-a-dozen reporter.

EasternWest
28-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I texted in once after hearing of his age. I had mild respect for him beforehand - not knowing his background, but once i found out he was just a baby (25 y.old from memory)

For such efforts as that eluded too by TCD, the fact he's only seen 'modern' football. No idea what his background is. If you've listened to him you'll know what i mean. He's not a football brain, he's a dime-a-dozen reporter.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/09/09/1225916/704364-wyatt-roy.jpg

Disapproves. And will stay off your lawn.

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 06:50 PM
http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/09/09/1225916/704364-wyatt-roy.jpg

Disapproves. And will stay off your lawn.

Is that him? He sounds fatter on he radio. For some reason I always thought he'd look like Rohan Connoly with a beard.

The Coon Dog
28-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Is that him? He sounds fatter on he radio. For some reason I always thought he'd look like Rohan Connoly with a beard.

This is Matt Thompson:

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/5254/matthompsonnr5.jpg

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 07:05 PM
This is Matt Thompson:

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/5254/matthompsonnr5.jpg

Yep that's how I imagined him. But with the beard of course.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 07:08 PM
How does someone sound fatter?

EasternWest
28-10-2010, 07:16 PM

No, that's Wyatt Roy. A 20 year old house of reps member.

He disapproves of ageist* policies.

*I have no idea if he does or doesn't approve of ageism.

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 07:19 PM
How does someone sound fatter?

It's hard to expain on a medium that uses words and not sounds.

Larger people tend to sound jollier, thin people tend to sound laconic is the best way I can describe i.

Twodogs
28-10-2010, 07:22 PM
No, that's Wyatt Roy. A 20 year old house of reps member.

He disapproves of ageist* policies.

*I have no idea if he does or doesn't approve of ageism.

Ah yes, I remember him now from the election night coverage, I did wonder why all those politicians were clapping Matty Thompson.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 10:09 PM
That dill on Channel 10 who loves to conduct deep interviews as if he is on 60 minutes.

Andy Maher.

AndrewP6
28-10-2010, 11:06 PM
That dill on Channel 10 who loves to conduct deep interviews as if he is on 60 minutes.

Andy Maher.

His work after the Dogs beat the Swans, thus ending Brett Kirk's career, was very ordinary. Asking a bloke who has just played and lost his last game of footy, "How do you feel" (repeatedly) is stupid.

LostDoggy
28-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Ah yes, I remember him now from the election night coverage, I did wonder why all those politicians were clapping Matty Thompson.

:D

I do like Andy Maher, he works well with Tim Watson on Sen, but the Kirk interview smacked of tear seeking. Made him look very poor.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 08:48 AM
What really shits me about SEN atm is the Macquarie news feed, its all pro conservative views.

Desipura
29-10-2010, 10:23 AM
:D

I do like Andy Maher, he works well with Tim Watson on Sen, but the Kirk interview smacked of tear seeking. Made him look very poor.

Can someone please elaborate as to what Andy said? I have heard this mentioned a number of times however I never got to hear the interview.

The Underdog
29-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Can someone please elaborate as to what Andy said? I have heard this mentioned a number of times however I never got to hear the interview.

Don't remember his exact questions but they were all about a minute long and basically added up to "how are you feeling right now?". He asked about 5 times in different ways. It was a joke.

Murphy'sLore
29-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Immediately after the game, Brett Kirk was obviously deeply emotional, gazing into the middle distance as if stunned, and Andy Maher was buzzing in his face like a blowfly with a microphone, "So how do you feel?" No coherent response. "So, how are you feeling, Brett?" It was pretty clear that if Kirk wasn't a Buddhist (!) and opposed to violence, he would have clocked him one -- it was just not a moment for inane questions. His feelings were written all over his face -- the sensible thing would have been to let the moment speak for itself.

To be fair Maher copped heaps about it on SEN at the first opportunity.

Twodogs
29-10-2010, 11:37 AM
It looked to me like Kirk wanted to get to his teammates and Majer was in the way asking the same question over and over. If you watch the footage there is a moment when Kirk ponders clocking him but is just to tired.

It opens the broader question about why TV stations want to interview athletes straight after the event when it invariably come out as " Yeah, nah, huff, puff, puff, the boys were, puff, puff, puff just stoked, puff, puff, puff."

Murphy'sLore
29-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Is there any dumber question in these situations than "how do you feel?"
99 times out of a hundred the answer is bleeding obvious; the one time it isn't, the person involved isn't articulate enough to express it.
Total lack of imagination on the part of journos.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Steven Quartermain hits me as arrogant without talent, Billy Brownless should not be on television, he's a clown without wit or charm, just a buffoon. When he shoved Lou Richards and nearly felled him, he exposed his desperation yet inability, to entertain. The Couldabeens are the best going.

hujsh
29-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Steven Quartermain hits me as arrogant without talent, Billy Brownless should not be on television, he's a clown without wit or charm, just a buffoon. When he shoved Lou Richards and nearly felled him, he exposed his desperation yet inability, to entertain. The Couldabeens are the best going.

What? When was this?

BornInDroopSt'54
29-10-2010, 04:06 PM
What? When was this?

In his first or maybe second year of reoporting on the Sunday footy show, Brownless had been paired with Lou Richards. Of course he could not match wits with the octogenerian and thought it was a good idea oneday to shove him. Lou was taken by surprise and teetered backwards, with obvious fear on his face, all but falling till he reached the curtains. The scene that followed was very awkward. What an idiot.

hujsh
29-10-2010, 04:43 PM
In his first or maybe second year of reoporting on the Sunday footy show, Brownless had been paired with Lou Richards. Of course he could not match wits with the octogenerian and thought it was a good idea oneday to shove him. Lou was taken by surprise and teetered backwards, with obvious fear on his face, all but falling till he reached the curtains. The scene that followed was very awkward. What an idiot.

Wow, idiot seems an understatement.

Doc26
29-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Steven Quartermain hits me as arrogant without talent.

Very much agree. The other two that also come to mind are Dwayne Russell and the expelled Mark Doran. Interesting also to see the metamorphosis of Anthony Hudson from simple caller / presenter to now playing the role of expert special comments.

EasternWest
29-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Very much agree. The other two that also come to mind are Dwayne Russell and the expelled Mark Doran. Interesting also to see the metamorphosis of Anthony Hudson from simple caller / presenter to now playing the role of expert special comments.

Expelled?

Doc26
29-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Expelled?

Heading out for lunch on week days I would often dial into SEN to confront the dribble Doran caughed up. One day it was all gone although I must say replaced by a similar level of inadequacy in Harford.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 07:12 PM
One day it was all gone although I must say replaced by a similar level of inadequacy in Harford.

His level of knowledge is to laugh like a schoolboy at the Brazilian footballer called Kaka who has only been in the game 10+ years.

Twodogs
29-10-2010, 10:43 PM
His level of knowledge is to laugh like a schoolboy at the Brazilian footballer called Kaka who has only been in the game 10+ years.

To be fair it is a funny name. It doesnt matter how many times you've heard it.

lemmon
29-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Agree on Brownless, cant stand him. He seems to think being fat and skulling a few frothies has some sort of comedic value, he really adds nothing to any show he's on.

AndrewP6
29-10-2010, 11:48 PM

Here 'tis....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDQheb5VFTQ

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 06:36 PM
To be fair it is a funny name. It doesnt matter how many times you've heard it.

It's even funnier when you realise that Kaka means poo in Spanish (it must mean something else in Portuguese, which is what they speak in Brazil where he is from). The Madrid fans must titter every time they hear it. I know my wife does.

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Okay, I don't know if this goes here, but I've been thinking that Dr.Turf, who has been helping KB out these past couple of weeks in the morning (especially with the Spring Carnival on), is MUCH better than Patrick Smith or Fathead Denham.

I think he's actually quite funny, and he and KB are like an old couple, which is entertaining in its own way -- he doesn't let KB get away with a lot either, which is good.. makes that show almost bearable.

Remi Moses
01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
What really shits me about SEN atm is the Macquarie news feed, its all pro conservative views.

Straight out of 104 Exhibition St that news service!
Denham is dreadful he claimed Andrew Swallow had signed with GWS !Then got on Bartlett's show and didn't even apologize!!!Claimed his sources got it wrong:eek:
Smith,gotta love hate relationship with him sometimes he's quality other times he's a complete windbag!
Harford is awful..
Thompson is hysterical(constant moaning about India at the games was nauseating)
Connolly is good value

Remi Moses
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Okay, I don't know if this goes here, but I've been thinking that Dr.Turf, who has been helping KB out these past couple of weeks in the morning (especially with the Spring Carnival on), is MUCH better than Patrick Smith or Fathead Denham.

I think he's actually quite funny, and he and KB are like an old couple, which is entertaining in its own way -- he doesn't let KB get away with a lot either, which is good.. makes that show almost bearable.

Dr Turf's one of SEN's few quality performers

Twodogs
01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Denham is dreadful he claimed Andrew Swallow had signed with GWS !Then got on Bartlett's show and didn't even apologize!!!Claimed his sources got it wrong:eek:

He even claimed that it was his report that got North off it's arse to sign Swallow to a longer contract. North had announced that by the nect day and had been in discussions for weeks about the new terms.

Denham seems to think that the negotiations were all carried out in one afternoon and then announced the next day. That's a sad reflection of just how out of touch he is with what really is going on at AFL clubs.

Does he keeep his job because he works for the Australian and they are so Sydneycentric? I wouldnt imagine that what the AFL writers are writing in Melbourne would be real high on their list of editorial priorities.

AndrewP6
01-11-2010, 08:34 PM
It's even funnier when you realise that Kaka means poo in Spanish (it must mean something else in Portuguese, which is what they speak in Brazil where he is from). The Madrid fans must titter every time they hear it. I know my wife does.

This is from Wikipedia (I'm assuming it's correct!):

His nickname is pronounced as it is spelled, with stress on the second syllable, and is a common term of endearment of "Ricardo" in Brazil. In Kaká's case, it was born from younger brother Digão calling him "Caca" due to his inability to pronounce "Ricardo" when they were young; it eventually evolved into Kaká.

But I agree, equating the name with 'poo' is funnier.:D

EDIT: Apparently there's been a few Kaka's....

Remi Moses
01-11-2010, 08:35 PM
He even claimed that it was his report that got North off it's arse to sign Swallow to a longer contract. North had announced that by the nect day and had been in discussions for weeks about the new terms.

Denham seems to think that the negotiations were all carried out in one afternoon and then announced the next day. That's a sad reflection of just how out of touch he is with what really is going on at AFL clubs.

Does he keeep his job because he works for the Australian and they are so Sydneycentric? I wouldnt imagine that what the AFL writers are writing in Melbourne would be real high on their list of editorial priorities.

What about the intro "denim and lace" Marty Rone( spelling?)
What about that full blown poster at Etihad with the Age footy reporters!
Fancy making the journos the stars of the show??
Should be the Footballers who put the show on!!!!

LostDoggy
02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Dr Turf is a very funny man and a brilliant after dinner speaker.