PDA

View Full Version : Our Draw - your verdict

Ghost Dog
29-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Forum to comment on how the football Gods have dealt our hand in 2011
IMO, we did better than a lot of other teams - see below.

HOW OFTEN YOUR TEAM PLAYS OPPONENTS COMING OFF THE BYE
(not including Essendon's bye in round 24)

4 - Fremantle, Geelong, Sydney

3 - Essendon, Melbourne, West Coast

2 - Adelaide, Carlton, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St Kilda

1 - Brisbane, Richmond

0 - Collingwood, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs

Comment - For once, we do well to be at the bottom of the heap.

WHEN THE BYES FALL FOR EACH TEAM

Adelaide - rounds 2, 16

Brisbane - 4, 19

Carlton - 8, 23

Collingwood - 7, 13

Essendon - 10, 24

Fremantle - 6, 16

Geelong - 6, 22

Gold Coast - 1, 9

Hawthorn - 6, 17

Melbourne - 5, 16

North Melbourne - 3, 21

Port Adelaide - 12, 18

Richmond - 11, 19

St Kilda - 4, 14

Sydney - 5, 19

West Coast - 5, 15

Western Bulldogs - 4, 20

Comment: Not bad. Only four clubs have a rest deeper in the season and only one of those besides us has much of a chance come finals.

GAMES AGAINST 2010 FINALISTS

12 - Essendon

11 - Geelong, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, St Kilda

10 - all other teams

GAMES AGAINST 2010 TOP-FOUR TEAMS

6 - Carlton, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Sydney.

5 - Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, West Coast.

4 - Brisbane, Melbourne, Richmond

3 - Western Bulldogs

Comment: Did the best of all in this one.

"AWAY" INTERSTATE GAMES FOR VICTORIAN TEAMS

6 - Geelong, North Melbourne, St Kilda

5 - Essendon, Hawthorn, Western Bulldogs

4 - Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond

3 - Melbourne

Comment: one of ours is a 'home game' anyway.

THURSDAY OR FRIDAY NIGHT FEATURE GAMES

Adelaide 3 (1 home)

Brisbane 1 (home)

Carlton 7 (3 home)

Collingwood 5 (1 home)

Essendon 3 (1 home)

Fremantle 2 (1 home)

Geelong 4 (2 home)

Gold Coast 0

Hawthorn 3 (1 home)

Melbourne 4 (1 home)

North Melbourne 1 (home)

Port Adelaide 1 (home)

Richmond 3 (1 home)

St Kilda 7 (5 home)

Sydney 1 (home)

West Coast 2 (2 home)

Western Bulldogs 3 (2 home)

Comment: Feature gamers we are not.

What do you all reckon about this?

mjp
29-10-2010, 06:25 PM
What do you all reckon about this?

If we win 13 or so we will play finals, if we win 14-15 likely top 4.

Beyond that, I don't care!

ledge
29-10-2010, 06:36 PM
How does Carlton get all those feature games, they have been deplorable for 5 years or more, thought you had to earn them.

mjp
29-10-2010, 07:26 PM
How does Carlton get all those feature games, they have been deplorable for 5 years or more, thought you had to earn them.

You earn them (feature games) through television ratings, not through performance.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 09:22 PM
You earn them (feature games) through television ratings, not through performance.

Earn them? 2 free to air games in the first 10. Those with enough $ to have Foxtel earn them.

FrediKanoute
29-10-2010, 09:27 PM
The bye is an interesting one. When Adelaide first entered the competition and we had an odd number of teams the bye was something that often caused more problems for us than it solved.....often our performances after a bye were horrible. I wonder whether teams will cope better with it than they did previously.

LostDoggy
29-10-2010, 11:03 PM
A bye in round 20 could well benefit the dogs going into the finals.

ReLoad
30-10-2010, 12:19 AM
I reckon its a great draw, there is some struggle points, some 6 and 7 day breaks from interstate trips against huge opponents (cats and magpies), but we have a VERY strong finishing draw with a lot of very winnable games, so ideally id like to see us win the first few, and come home with a very powerful finish.

An Anzac day game for us is very interesting, and im sure a lot of us will head over considering its easter as well.

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but are we playing a game in Canberra and not in Darwin? This pisses me off as I think the club has created a good presence here in Darwin.

bornadog
30-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but are we playing a game in Canberra and not in Darwin? This pisses me off as I think the club has created a good presence here in Darwin.

We now have to share Darwin with Melbourne and Richmond. Not sure if we play there in 2012, or 2013

OLD SCRAGGer
30-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Think we did OK with this draw, however on a personnal note .. I HATE the Twilight games, and we play so many of em too:mad:

AndrewP6
30-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Think we did OK with this draw, however on a personnal note .. I HATE the Twilight games, and we play so many of em too:mad:

Seconded.

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 06:21 PM
There was a guy on BF who ranked each team's scheduled based on last year's opponents (playing against 1st=1 point, 16th=16points, GC=17) and we tied for the easiest, surprisingly, the GC got the hardest. Only 3 games against the top-4 which is the least, although it's partially because that only against 3 other teams and tied for least games v the top 8. So it terms who we play, the sched is all good, however the problem in when are where.
6 Games interstate, tied for most of a Vic team (including the canberra game), tied smallest number for conseq games in Melbourne with 3? How does that even happen - typically Collingwood have 11. Both games in Subi is a pain and we've tied for most games coming off a 6 or less day break with 7

Remi Moses
30-10-2010, 06:30 PM
The bye is an interesting one. When Adelaide first entered the competition and we had an odd number of teams the bye was something that often caused more problems for us than it solved.....often our performances after a bye were horrible. I wonder whether teams will cope better with it than they did previously.

Tend to recall being pantsed by Carlton after a bye in 92.

Bumper Bulldogs
30-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Who cares It's good to see them get flogged on a friday night. Puts me in a good space for the rest of the weekend.:D

Flamethrower
30-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't like Sunday twilight games, but I can live with them. What really annoys me is having to try to get tickets to Skilled Stadium for the mega blockbuster between 2 of the power teams of the comp, when it should be played at the MCG (or Etihad at least).

Bumper Bulldogs
30-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Funny that with 2 kids 10 & 12 these games are really good for us. They get home and it's not late, also I can get a few things done in the morning prior to the trip in. I would prefer these to a Friday night game which is not child friendly.

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't mid the draw, I love lazy/ hungover Sunday afternoon games (if we win, that is), but 5 night games out of 24 (22?) rounds? Worst. I like night games!

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't like Sunday twilight games, but I can live with them. What really annoys me is having to try to get tickets to Skilled Stadium for the mega blockbuster between 2 of the power teams of the comp, when it should be played at the MCG (or Etihad at least).
I go to most interstate games, and face the risk of missing a game in Geelong. I thought we were told we would never be drawn to play them again after the last fiasco.

LostDoggy
30-10-2010, 11:00 PM
The draw seems okay at first glance, haven't really had a chance to look at it too deeply. I also don't like twilight games on a Sunday - as someone who gets up at 5.15 to get to the pool every morning, I needs me beauty sleep and I like to be home and getting stuff together for an early start on a Monday!:o

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 02:42 AM
maybe we can break the streak geelong have at skilled stadium

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 03:35 AM
The draw seems okay at first glance, haven't really had a chance to look at it too deeply. I also don't like twilight games on a Sunday - as someone who gets up at 5.15 to get to the pool every morning, I needs me beauty sleep and I like to be home and getting stuff together for an early start on a Monday!:o

Try the same time but for work :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
31-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Try the same time but for work :rolleyes:

Yes, DaDruid, I hear you. When I worked in the city, I got up at that time and went straight to work. Now I work in Altona and can go for a swim every morning, and then go to work later - 10 mins from home! I'm a lucky, lucky vegemite I know! Still, I'm a morning person anyway, much rather be up early!:D

soupman
31-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Glad there are only 3 Friday night games. They are a nightmare with the traffic and such. Sunday twilight games throw my body clock out, but otherwise they're alright.

AndrewP6
31-10-2010, 06:02 PM
I get the train in, so Friday nights are fine by me... can't stand the twilight games, getting home late, trying to unwind to get some sleep for the Monday get-up....

LostDoggy
01-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Yes, DaDruid, I hear you. When I worked in the city, I got up at that time and went straight to work. Now I work in Altona and can go for a swim every morning, and then go to work later - 10 mins from home! I'm a lucky, lucky vegemite I know! Still, I'm a morning person anyway, much rather be up early!:D

Same, same. Mind you, I see a lot of people every morning who definitely are not.
:):)