PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Bruce anyone?

ratsmac
07-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Could we possibly consider Cameron Bruce? For me I don't think so.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-bruce-quits-demons/story-e6frf9jf-1225948802994

boydogs
07-11-2010, 03:03 AM
You have to be a star to play past 30 nowadays, but this bloke is. 6th in their B&F last year. Will certainly play AFL in 2011, better for us than the opposition.

Won't happen though, I reckon he will go earlier than pick 70 in the draft for starters.

soupman
07-11-2010, 03:50 AM
He's a good player, but we won't pick him up for a number of reasons. Partly because of his age, partly because he'd hold back younger players, and a big part of it would relate to him fitting underneath our salary cap which would come at the cost of Hahn.

chef
07-11-2010, 07:31 AM
He's a good player, but we won't pick him up for a number of reasons. Partly because of his age, partly because he'd hold back younger players, and a big part of it would relate to him fitting underneath our salary cap which would come at the cost of Hahn.

This^

We can't fit Hahn into our cap, so we have no chance of fitting Bruce.

LostDoggy
07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Probably not Bruce, but Jack Anthony left the Pies too. What about him?

Sedat
07-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Probably not Bruce, but Jack Anthony left the Pies too. What about him?
I'd rather Julie Anthony

Mr.1975
07-11-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd rather a Ian Hewitson/ Cathy Freeman mutant

Mantis
08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I'd rather Julie Anthony

On that theme I would rather Ken than Cam.

At least then we could have some fun with the jingle.

Desipura
08-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd rather Julie Anthony

Jack may just be like Julie.

LostDoggy
08-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd rather Julie Anthony
Nobody can do the National Anthem like Julie. It was to great to hear her do it live at this years grand final, instead of somebody butchering it ! I also hear she has a great left foot !

Jasper
08-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I'd rather a Ian Hewitson/ Cathy Freeman mutant

I think that's what Derek Kickett looked like the last time I saw him in the EJ Whitten Legends game!!!!!!

stefoid
09-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Its better for us if Jack Anthony is on an opposition team, so Lake can continue to make a fool of him.

Twodogs
09-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I'd rather Julie Anthony

I think she has some small link with Footscray. Either she was born in Footscray or her husband was. I think it was her husband.

dog town
09-11-2010, 10:28 PM
I think people are to quick to criticise John Anthony. He is pretty one dimensional as a forward but I guarantee you if we had a tall forward who kicked 50 goals as a 21 year old we would have some posters here pretty excited. He was forced out this year by a different structure but showed an ability in the level below to play down back as a tall defender. This makes him pretty attractive given that he can also kick goals as a forward.

If we could have fit him in the salary cap I for one think we could do worse than have him as a back up tall defender/tall forward in one. We have no back up for our tall defenders and its a massive concern. I will watch him with interest this season. He is only a year older than Jarrod Grant and while he doesnt have the same scope for improvement he stacks up pretty favourably against him so far. Having your role changed and not being able to break into the premiership side does not make him damaged goods.

Raw Toast
09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
I think people are to quick to criticise John Anthony. He is pretty one dimensional as a forward but I guarantee you if we had a tall forward who kicked 50 goals as a 21 year old we would have some posters here pretty excited. He was forced out this year by a different structure but showed an ability in the level below to play down back as a tall defender. This makes him pretty attractive given that he can also kick goals as a forward.

If we could have fit him in the salary cap I for one think we could do worse than have him as a back up tall defender/tall forward in one. We have no back up for our tall defenders and its a massive concern. I will watch him with interest this season. He is only a year older than Jarrod Grant and while he doesnt have the same scope for improvement he stacks up pretty favourably against him so far. Having your role changed and not being able to break into the premiership side does not make him damaged goods.

Good post DT. Could you describe how he played as a tall defender a bit more? He's clearly an excellent kick but I haven't been convinced about his decision-making when he's played a bit up the ground and my (relatively uninformed) sense of him is that he isn't comfortable moving the ball quickly on.

The Pies have said he was on the trade table so I wonder what their asking price was.

soupman
10-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Isn't it nice to see a half decent (I admit he is a step higher than the Ryan Murphys, Damon Whites and Andrew McDougals of this world) key forward and not have the forum tearing down the walls begging for him to come to us in the hope that he will become the next big thing up forward, and that even if he doesn't we just need a big body there who can play a role.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
I watched a fair few Melbourne games this season and thought Bruce was just going. This would definitely be his last year in my book.

strebla
10-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Thats a big no from me time to play the kids

dog town
10-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Good post DT. Could you describe how he played as a tall defender a bit more? He's clearly an excellent kick but I haven't been convinced about his decision-making when he's played a bit up the ground and my (relatively uninformed) sense of him is that he isn't comfortable moving the ball quickly on.

The Pies have said he was on the trade table so I wonder what their asking price was.

Just reads the play well. Can be a bit mechanical with his movement but he actually has a pretty good footy brain in terms of spacial awareness and knowing where the ball is going. You dont have a heap of confidence in him when he has the ball but he does get it as a defender. I only saw him twice down back but he dominated one of them and I read about him doing the same in a couple of others. The last time he came into the pies senior side he played as a defender as well due to injuries. Players came back and he was straight back down.

I am not saying we should have gone out and got him but he is not the spud people tend to make out in my opinion. He is only 22 and I think even the way he looks influences peoples opinions on him.

Mofra
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Isn't it nice to see a half decent (I admit he is a step higher than the Ryan Murphys, Damon Whites and Andrew McDougals of this world) key forward and not have the forum tearing down the walls begging for him to come to us in the hope that he will become the next big thing up forward, and that even if he doesn't we just need a big body there who can play a role.
True - the only temptation of Anthony I'd have is as a back-up tall defender (have no faith in Markovic/Mulligan in 2011) but paying what he'd want just as a back-up option would be bad list management IMO.