PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Mitch, thanks and goodluck.

NoseBleed
10-11-2010, 04:06 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-make-tough-call-on-hahn-20101109-17m12.html

Article suggesting Mitch is gone. If it's true, I'd like to thank him for his time with us, and wish him the best. Modern football has probably passed him by, but he's been a favourite of mine for years, I've always loved his bullocky style of play.

If it's true, thanks for the great service and the memories Mitch.

NB

chef
10-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the memories Mitch, bit sadly the game has passed you by.

If he does play on hopefully GC picks him up and then we can receive a compo pick. It would probably be only a third rounder, but that's better than nothing.

NoName
10-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Has been a good player through out the years and will be missed.

Daughter of the West
10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all your hard work over the years Mitch, and all the best for the future.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks Mitch for the years of fantastic service you have given our club. I have always enjoyed watching you "bulldoze" your way through a pack, and taking a strong mark.

Go_Dogs
10-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Well done to Mitch on a great career - at his best he was a very damaging and important player. Injuries this year at the wrong times really held him back.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 09:00 AM
Poorly written article. Sort of mistakes I tend to make.
"Hahn is understood to have been informed by the Dogs that he does fit into their plans for 2011"
and
"having been drafted with a late choice in the club's highly productive 1999 draft, in which Brian Lake, Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave were recruited"
Lake went the next year.

GVGjr
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
"Hahn is understood to have been informed by the Dogs that he does fit into their plans for 2011"
and
"having been drafted with a late choice in the club's highly productive 1999 draft, in which Brian Lake, Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave were recruited"
Lake went the next year.

I noticed that as well. Must have been rushed.

Mantis
10-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I think it's the right move... it's now up to the young players to make the most of the opportunities they will be given.

Good luck to Mitch in the next phase of his life as he re-enters the 'real world'.

Sockeye Salmon
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
and
Lake went the next year.

Actually Lake went the year after that.

You're right. They are the kind of mistakes you make.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
The Bulldozer!

Working class footballer who got the most out of himself.

True Bulldog and a favorite :)

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks Mitch, I will leave my memories of you at the 2009 final against Brisbane, a good example of your best days, he carried the hardness part of our team for a long time. Still a year or two left for you at the goldy or GWS I hope.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
:( Very sad to see Mitch go. My son loves him and has the number 8 on his back, signed by the man himself.

I am a bit disappointed that we broke our word to him. Totally understand and support the decision, but I think we could have been a bit fairer to Mitch and been straight-up from the get-go.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the years of solid service Mitch. Hopefully you've got an exciting new career path to step into.

It was the right call I think, although the late timing of the formal announcement must mean they think they have just identified a young kid they think they can nab late in the draft? Otherwise I just don't know why they did not make the call a few weeks ago?

Mofra
10-11-2010, 10:57 AM
The right decision, but thank you Mitch for all your hard work at the club, finishes a well respected figure.

EasternWest
10-11-2010, 11:34 AM
An easy player to like. You knew regardless of how he played his form wasn't going to be influenced by lack of effort. Slots easily into my criteria for favourite players of "guys who overcome lack of natural skill with desire". They're not always successes, but Mitch certainly is.

Good luck Mitch, you were and are a great Bulldog.

SonofScray
10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Earned his spot for a long time but just couldn't get enough out of him this year, which was a shame because at his best he was a damaging player. Particularly where the opposition defence was already stretched and he could move in and out of the forward line to create bad match ups.

Hahn played the way a lot of old school scraggers love, tough, physical footy. A real working class type player with a bit of sting as well. I'll remember him as very good, loyal servant of the Dogs. His "break out game" was at Optus Oval v WCE (99/2000?) and through a period where we were pretty soft he did a lot of heavy work.

stefoid
10-11-2010, 12:34 PM
GC could do worse than pick him up.

Bulldog Revolution
10-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Great service, good clubman

I have no doubt he was a very popular amongst the players

He's had a knee reco, and given the club everything he had, never took short steps, always put his body on the line

Dont be bitter that its over Mitch, handle it with class

gohardorgohome
10-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Congrats on a very good career Mitch. You got the best out of yourself........Id be happy to see you get a second chance at the Gold Coast..

OLD SCRAGGer
10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Now that both Mitch & Eagle are gone :mad: :mad:... who is going to be the NEW whipping boy for people on here :confused: probably poor bloody Gia from what I've read in past posts here:mad: Love you MITCH

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks Ute!

Remi Moses
10-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Now that both Mitch & Eagle are gone :mad: :mad:... who is going to be the NEW whipping boy for people on here :confused: probably poor bloody Gia from what I've read in past posts here:mad: Love you MITCH

Waiting for this . Just have to call it like it is! Good luck Mitch and thanks for those 50 metre bombs.
For what it's worth over the journey we've had players that haven't been up to it and who have careers cut short! One flag in over 80 years will attest to that.

soupman
10-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Mitch Hahn. One of those players that every supporters loves. Always gives it his all, hard at it and is a bit different from the average player.

I've loved watching him, with the following being bits that stand out:
-His bags of goals against Essendon in the late 2000's. Always killed them.
-His trademark bulldoze run through a pack.
-Coming from nowhere to shove a player away from the ball and knock it to one of our players who scores.
-Launching it from 50+ with his weird kicking style.
-running into a pack, grabbing the ball pretty much one handed and slamming seemingly randomly on his boot for a goal.

Great player and sad to see him go, as much as it is the right decision.

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Does Mitch have any interest in coaching?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Good Luck to Mitch, he had a pretty solid career with us and was particularly good going back 2-3 years ago when we first were climbing into the better half of the ladder.

Anyone think another club will pick him up?

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Here's to you Mitch Hahn of the day, Cheers. Stood up beer raised and said that after your every goal. Collected many a bet because of ya thanks again mate.

AndrewP6
10-11-2010, 10:16 PM
I can see GWS or Goldy looking at him, and hope for his sake he gets to go round a year or two longer. Great clubman, the sort of player I reckon the others would love to have standing beside them. All the best Mitch...

In tribute to Hahn Premium, here's an already-seen but nevertheless amusing image of the man in action.

http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/450/2009/04/05/178035.jpg

Max469
10-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Good luck Mitch.

I will miss you. :(

LostDoggy
10-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks Mitch, you gave your all for our club, and the times I have seen you off the field you have been great. I remember fondly your appearances on the Bulldog Footy Show/Selectors table when you were on with Shaggy you were better the any stand up comedians.

The Underdog
11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Was a favourite of mine for a good while. When he was impacting a game he gave us a legitimate physical presence and forward line pressure plus there was always the excitement of wondering whether his kick would sail (probably not end over end) through the goals or land in some mystery location. Probably the only negative impact of bringing Hall over was that Mitch's role in the forward line became somewhat obsolete which along with his physical decline led us to this point.
It'd be great for his sake to get a couple of years at Gold Coast where his size and forward line presence could be of use in a bridging sort of role, but I can't see him being of great use at any other club to be honest.
tough call but right one for the future of the club.
Cheers Mitch, best of luck.

KT31
11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Goog luck for the future to Mitch.

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Sad to see Mitch go, Hope he gets picked up else where. Thanks Mitch! One of my Favorites.

BulldogBelle
11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Here's what I remember about Mitch

In Round 1 in 2009 against Freo in Perth he kicked a lazy 6 goals for memory...
Bags against Essendon a couple of times
In early 2006 (or maybe 2005) when we belted Richmond by 100+ points or so, he was rampant, running through lines from one side of the ground to another
Some bombs from 50+ meters that had an uncanny habit of going through
Decent acurancy at set shots
Ploughing through the opposition
Always being a player who played the ball, and never got distracted by niggling opponents
Giving the number 8 a decent run

Thanks for the memories Mitch

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I can see GWS or Goldy looking at him, and hope for his sake he gets to go round a year or two longer. Great clubman, the sort of player I reckon the others would love to have standing beside them. All the best Mitch...

In tribute to Hahn Premium, here's an already-seen but nevertheless amusing image of the man in action.

http://images.slatterymedia.com/images/thumbs/450/2009/04/05/178035.jpg

Sums up Mitch :D IIRC he still managed to smash a handball off forward also. I think we love him because there's a little bit of Mitch in all us hacks.

His kicking from 50 and beyond was a sight to see. The kick, generally heading towards the old pub on the corner of Spencer and Bourke, it'd tumble back in the air and go through for a major.

Only Warney had more ugliness on the ball and got the same end result :)

LostDoggy
11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Always gave 110% Mitch, well done and good luck with what ever you do in the future

Topdog
11-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Here's what I remember about Mitch

Can't remember the year but against Geelong very tight finish and Mitch laid 2 massive tackles (basically threw the opposition) and won the ball. Thats the kind of stuff I have missed from Mitch this year and will continue to miss.

AndrewP6
11-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Sums up Mitch :D IIRC he still managed to smash a handball off forward also. I think we love him because there's a little bit of Mitch in all us hacks.

Ah yes, I think you're right, he did get the handball away with his jumper over his head! Top stuff..

Ghost Dog
12-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Always gave 110% Mitch, well done and good luck with what ever you do in the future

Will there be a send off for him of any kind? ah...'delisted' is such a cruel word for a good servant of the club. Life is like this.

hujsh
12-11-2010, 03:55 AM
I'll always remember Hahn kicking something like 2.4 against Brisbane. He kicked some shockers that day and tried to pass one off from about 35 out and shanked the pass too. First time I'd noticed his odd kicking style. After that year his goal% was far better but many of them were still floaters that gave me zero confidence in his shots at goal.

Loved watching him though.

I also think Mofra's right about keeping criticism balanced and reasonable as opposed to canning Gia every other game in 2010, regardless of performance, because he didn't play well in finals the year before. Passion is vital for football and great at the game but a forum is surely a place for reason and logic first.

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Will there be a send off for him of any kind? ah...'delisted' is such a cruel word for a good servant of the club. Life is like this.

Summed up what I was feeling precisely there Ghost Dog

The Coon Dog
12-11-2010, 11:13 AM
This thread is really disappointing, not relevant to the subject & downright embarrassing to read in parts.

For what it's worth, I think the club has made the right call on Mitch. Old Father Time seems to have caught up with him quite quickly.

My favourite Mitch memory is not one incident, but how many times has Mitch grabbed a loose ball on our forward line, had 2 or 3 defenders hanging off him as he struggles to get a scrubby kick off, that always seemed to bounce through for a goal?

Mofra
12-11-2010, 11:16 AM
This thread is really disappointing, not relevant to the subject & downright embarrassing to read in parts.
Apologies TCD, I accept my part in derailing the thread and apologise, no more on the matter

Twodogs
12-11-2010, 12:08 PM

Too right TCD. This is supposed to be a thread about Mitch and his service to the club.

You boys take your side argument to PM. I am going to clean this thtead up and if MY TIME IS WASTED by posters again going over old ground then they wont be posting here anymore. UNDERSTOOD?

LostDoggy
12-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks muchly for the many fantastic memories of you charging through packs like a raging bull Mitch. Will miss you around the club. Good luck in the future. Do hope some send off is organised by WBFC!!

Desipura
12-11-2010, 05:12 PM
If we had more players with Mitch's courage and attack at the ball, we would be a better team for it.

always right
14-11-2010, 01:46 PM
My favourite Mitch memory is not one incident, but how many times has Mitch grabbed a loose ball on our forward line, had 2 or 3 defenders hanging off him as he struggles to get a scrubby kick off, that always seemed to bounce through for a goal?

This^^^^^^^

No body kicked goals quite like Mitch did. He was at his most dangerous when he had the ball in a pack and everyone expected the unpire to simply call for a bounce. Next thing you know, Mitch is bulldozing his way through and scrambling a goal.

I'll miss yelling out "launch it Mitch" whenever he was within 60m of goal. Always felt Mitch launched the ball rather than kicked it.:D

comrade
14-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I'll miss yelling out "launch it Mitch" whenever he was within 60m of goal. Always felt Mitch launched the ball rather than kicked it.:D

Too true. I don't think he ever caressed the ball by foot, rather bludgeoned it as if he held a grudge.

That image of Mitch with jumper over the head, ploughing out a handball to his team's advantage sums him up perfectly.

Thanks for your service Mitch and good luck for the next stage of your life. Hopefully your work ethic has rubbed off on our young forwards and they step up in 2011.

dogs den mum
18-11-2010, 12:46 AM
So sad to see Mitch go, he was a favourite of our whole family. He played with so much heart, and even when the chips were down he would push his way into a pack and somehow steal the ball and give the supporters hope of a turnaround. It just won't seem the same without him.

jeemak
18-11-2010, 01:12 AM
One of those players for me that I loved and had trouble loving at the same time. We all have them.

I've alway respected the way he's applied himself physically though, and I've never questioned his endeavour at any stage. He had to carry the physical burden in the forward line for many years, and at his peak would have been an even better contributor and handful for the opposition if he'd had someone a few inches taller than him, with similar girth giving him a hand when we were without a genuine KPF.

Good luck Mitch. I think you'd be of value to a team full of youngsters, in a forward line that needs some brute strength. I hope you get the chance to show your worth.

Either way, you've been a great player for our club and you deserve the respect of every Bulldogs person.

BulldogBelle
20-11-2010, 07:42 PM
One of those players for me that I loved and had trouble loving at the same time. We all have them.

I've alway respected the way he's applied himself physically though, and I've never questioned his endeavour at any stage. He had to carry the physical burden in the forward line for many years, and at his peak would have been an even better contributor and handful for the opposition if he'd had someone a few inches taller than him, with similar girth giving him a hand when we were without a genuine KPF.

Good luck Mitch. I think you'd be of value to a team full of youngsters, in a forward line that needs some brute strength. I hope you get the chance to show your worth.

Either way, you've been a great player for our club and you deserve the respect of every Bulldogs person.

Has anyone heard any semi-official news on where Mitch may end up in 2011????

I have heard Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and Carlton....

LostDoggy
20-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I think he may be in trouble, but have not heard anything

MrMahatma
20-11-2010, 11:41 PM
The bloke bled Red, White & Blue. I love him for that.

Good luck Mitch.

chef
21-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Has anyone heard any semi-official news on where Mitch may end up in 2011????

I have heard Port Adelaide, Gold Coast and Carlton....

I've heard he will be Eagleton's teammate again next year.

EasternWest
21-11-2010, 03:38 PM
The bloke bled Red, White & Blue. I love him for that.

Good luck Mitch.

Well said mate.

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Ummm welcome back mitch I guess

azabob
22-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Does Mitch have any interest in coaching?

Apparently so. What made you ask that question RE Mitch? Were you aware of his role outside of the club?

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Great news that you will still be around the club Mitch. Welcome back!!

Mitcha
23-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Not back yet, apparently Gold Coast are keen, we need to hope that they pass on him at the pre-season draft before we nab him in the rookie draft.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Not back yet, apparently Gold Coast are keen, we need to hope that they pass on him at the pre-season draft before we nab him in the rookie draft.

Don't think they can pick him up without our premission cause they already took JH. There was a rule brought in so they could not entice players to go in the pre season draft

aker39
23-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't think they can pick him up without our premission cause they already took JH. There was a rule brought in so they could not entice players to go in the pre season draft

We delisted him. GC can do what they want.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 12:26 PM
We delisted him. GC can do what they want.

No they still need premission from us, otherwise they could tell a player not to sign and wait till club delists you just like Houli from essendon. He refused to sign, Essendon had no choice but to delist him and now Richmond pick him up in the draft.

If GC could do that with all their money they could take a number of players from clubs but the AFL wanted them to limit to just 1

LostDoggy
27-11-2010, 06:58 PM
I , for one am glad the Buffalo is still with us, the ability to muscle your way through a contest or put a dangerous player down is invaluable , especially in the finals, Mitch had an injury interrupted year and we needed a fit a furious Buffalo to help us charge to the flag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Li4TvOWB0

Hotdog60
30-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Hahn opts to take second chance

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/MHahn_Rd1410_246a.jpg

FORMER Western Bulldog Mitch Hahn has nominated for next week's NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft and Rookie Drafts, signalling his intention to take up the Bulldogs' offer of a rookie spot.

The Bulldogs cut the 29-year-old from their senior list earlier this month and the utility has been weighing up whether to have another crack at top-level football, or take up a coaching offer - perhaps with the Bulldogs' VFL affiliate, Williamstown.

Now that Hahn has nominated he can be taken in the pre-season draft or go through to the Bulldogs in the rookie draft if there is no interest from other clubs.

Hahn heads a list of former AFL-listed players who had to submit their paperwork by Tuesday in order to be considered for senior or rookie list positions on December 7.

The League received the following nominations of delisted players for the 2010 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft:

John Anthony (Collingwood), Warren Benjamin (North Melbourne), Cameron Bruce (Melbourne), Mitch Hahn (Western Bulldogs), Ashley Hansen (West Coast), Scott Harding (Port Adelaide), Tom Hislop (Richmond), Tim Houlihan (West Coast), Bachar Houli (Essendon), Bart McCulloch (Brisbane Lions), Brad Miller (Melbourne), Tony Notte (West Coast), Nathan O'Keefe (North Melbourne), Adam Pattison (St Kilda), Albert Proud (Brisbane Lions), Simon Taylor (Hawthorn) and Matthew Westhoff (Port Adelaide).Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

LINK (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105783/default.aspx)

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Of the guys on that list, how many would be nominating without having a clear idea of where they're ending up? Very few, I would suggest.

Why wouldn't we just reduce the farce and have those who are clearly going to be rookied (now an established and common occurence) go through a simpler process ie. move directly from senior list to rookie list on the delisting deadline, at the cost of a club's final rookie pick? It's not like other clubs would poach a player who has been delisted to be moved to a rookie list. It would also reduce the uncertainty for players, and make the process of dealing with current players a lot neater.

ledge
30-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Albert Proud played junior footy at braybrook, has amazing talent but likes the good life apparently.
If he got his act together a real good pick up.

mjp
30-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I , for one am glad the Buffalo is still with us, the ability to muscle your way through a contest or put a dangerous player down is invaluable , especially in the finals, Mitch had an injury interrupted year and we needed a fit a furious Buffalo to help us charge to the flag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Li4TvOWB0

Was that from early 2009?

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Of the guys on that list, how many would be nominating without having a clear idea of where they're ending up? Very few, I would suggest.

Why wouldn't we just reduce the farce and have those who are clearly going to be rookied (now an established and common occurence) go through a simpler process ie. move directly from senior list to rookie list on the delisting deadline, at the cost of a club's final rookie pick? It's not like other clubs would poach a player who has been delisted to be moved to a rookie list. It would also reduce the uncertainty for players, and make the process of dealing with current players a lot neater.

Because that would be a system that can be abused.

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Was that from early 2009?

Yes 2009, I thought it was a good example of what the Buffalo brings , fit and confident he gives us a harder edge

chef
01-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Yes 2009, I thought it was a good example of what the Buffalo brings , fit and confident he gives us a harder edge

Not sure if he'll still able to do that in 2011.

OLD SCRAGGer
01-12-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm THRILLED to have Mitch back at ANY level.:)

The Coon Dog
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm THRILLED to have Mitch back at ANY level.:)

I knew you would! ;)

Sedat
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Err, Hello Mitch, welcome and good luck

LostDoggy
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
I can see Mitch doing a Stewart Dew and helping us win the flag, was he fast, no, did he appear to be past his best, yes.
I'm allowed to dream.

OLD SCRAGGer
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
I can see Mitch doing a Stewart Dew and helping us win the flag, was he fast, no, did he appear to be past his best, yes.
I'm allowed to dream.

I have that very same dream Old Bulldog, (must have something to do with the "OLD" portion of our name) :D :D

Remi Moses
01-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Hoping he could find that 5 yards that he lost from 09.
Strange one,but good luck to Mitch

mjp
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Right. It was 2-years ago. Ablett ran straight into him and he tackled him. Good.

I have some great highlights of Mitch (who I have never heard called 'The Buffalo' before btw) from 2007...he did some sensational things. I also watched him play during 2010 when he could not get to the contest let alone impact one. As for 'the harder edge we need in finals', well, I watched him play finals this year and he didn't help us at all.

I can only assume the club is doing this as injury insurance for Hall...I will be disappointed if he plays for any other reason.

LostDoggy
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Right. It was 2-years ago. Ablett ran straight into him and he tackled him. Good.

I have some great highlights of Mitch (who I have never heard called 'The Buffalo' before btw) from 2007...he did some sensational things. I also watched him play during 2010 when he could not get to the contest let alone impact one. As for 'the harder edge we need in finals', well, I watched him play finals this year and he didn't help us at all.

I can only assume the club is doing this as injury insurance for Hall...I will be disappointed if he plays for any other reason.

Insurance yes, but for Hall I dont think so, as he has never played as a key forward.

soupman
01-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Insurance yes, but for Hall I dont think so, as he has never played as a key forward.

Maybe not in the true sense of the word but he is the closest thing we have to a replacement for Hall in terms of physical presence.

Desipura
01-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe not in the true sense of the word but he is the closest thing we have to a replacement for Hall in terms of physical presence.
If we wanted insurance for Hall in terms of physical presence, then we should have picked up Miller. He can at least cover some ground.

soupman
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
If we wanted insurance for Hall in terms of physical presence, then we should have picked up Miller. He can at least cover some ground.

I never said he was good cover for Hall, just that that was how he is most similiar.

Mantis
01-12-2010, 05:15 PM

Give this man a hammer.

Sedat
01-12-2010, 05:36 PM
With the draft pool already watered down and with GC getting access to a bunch of highly talented 17yos last year, a 6th round rookie selection is worth even less than previous years - normally you see Irish million-to-one shots and NSW/QLD no-hoper zone selections around this pick in any event. It's a nice gesture by the club to keep Hahn involved and giving him a chance to hone his coaching skills in the process. Insurance for Hall makes sense - there would be absolutely nowhere else on the ground that Hahn could play these days except for deep forward.

Mofra
01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Roughead, Jones or Grant would be better FFs than Hahn in 2011, in the event of Hall going down?

As much as I've admired Mitch over the years, he doesn't get seperation from his opponent to allow him to play the focal point forward, and as others have mentioned he struggles to get to enough contests. Perhaps the rookie pool is shallow and the club is giving Hahn a spot as a gesture of goodwill (we can ask for loyalty if we are going to show it) but I can't see him getting a game next year - Hall injury or not.

Sedat
01-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Roughead, Jones or Grant would be better FFs than Hahn in 2011, in the event of Hall going down?

As much as I've admired Mitch over the years, he doesn't get seperation from his opponent to allow him to play the focal point forward, and as others have mentioned he struggles to get to enough contests. Perhaps the rookie pool is shallow and the club is giving Hahn a spot as a gesture of goodwill (we can ask for loyalty if we are going to show it) but I can't see him getting a game next year - Hall injury or not.
They are, but they are also all much, much better in other positions than Hahn, and having a Hahn play deep allows the rest of the structure to remain intact.

Mofra
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Given Hall may not be around in 2012 (and if so, in a reduced capacity) I would be more than willing to see structure comprimised a little if we get the kids a chance to prepare for the "post Hall" era.

Given the comments about Cordy and his weight gain, we could feasibly have another option to trial for the odd game as well.

Greystache
01-12-2010, 06:05 PM

That's not the role the MC would have Hahn playing if he was replacing an injured Hall, his job would be to stand his ground deep inside 50 and we would bomb the ball long to him when we don't have a free option, his job would be take take the occasional contested mark or crumb a goal and when he can't he is to hold the ball in our forward line and force a stoppage. Having the pace to get separation, or to get to contests isn't a major pre-requisite

Mantis
02-12-2010, 12:09 AM
That's not the role the MC would have Hahn playing if he was replacing an injured Hall, his job would be to stand his ground deep inside 50 and we would bomb the ball long to him when we don't have a free option, his job would be take take the occasional contested mark or crumb a goal and when he can't he is to hold the ball in our forward line and force a stoppage. Having the pace to get separation, or to get to contests isn't a major pre-requisite

I guess from this you could see him doing the 'donkey work' which would allow the young guys with the young bodies to go about their work without having to get banged up.

Greystache
02-12-2010, 12:21 AM
I guess from this you could see him doing the 'donkey work' which would allow the young guys with the young bodies to go about their work without having to get banged up.

Pretty much. It's basically what his role was in 2008 & 2009, this year with Hall in the side he didn't really have a role to play he had the attributes for. I hope we don't need him next year as Hall is obviously a class above, but if Hall goes down I think Hahn is still capable of playing a role.

mjp
02-12-2010, 12:13 PM

Rubbish.

He played as our stay at home target up forward in both 2008 and 2009. As a traditional full forward? No. But he definitely played as a key target inside 50 which is what Hall does.

There is no other position he can play which is why the arrival of Hall signaled the end of Hahn's career at the dogs.

LostDoggy
02-12-2010, 08:25 PM

100kg Queenslander running through a wet oval , Buffalo !!!!

Mitch wasn't able to contribute much through the finals , injuries and a lack of confidence after the broken cheekbone ( twice ? ) cut his year short , we needed him for his hardness at the ball and his second and third efforts which can lead to a GA or a crumbed goal , he looked like he was gone but he's back , if Bill can tailor a program so he's at peak fitness at Final's time we will reap the benefits , BBB can't do all the muscle work and Mitch has a better tackling technique , with Higgins and Addison as our FP and Grant , Hahn and Murphy at HF , I think gives us the the best balance ( Note: Addison is our new Defensive Forward in the same role as Rooke )

Go , The Buffalo !!!!

(I dare you to sing after he kicks a goal )

For he's a jolly good Buffalo
For he's a jolly good Buffalo
Which nobody can deny
Which nobody can deny
Another goal for us
Another goal for us
For he's a jolly good Buffaloooooo
Another goal for us