PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season training

Pages : 1 [2]

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 09:02 AM
Tidy Da Druid.

Potential mentoring role for you down at the club?

Thanks, Wing Nut. Only thing I'm qualified to mentor in, is Village Idiocy. But I do set the industry benchmark though.

BTW, love your name, Wing Nut. We might be related too. I'm a Forward-of-Wing Nut from the Interchange side of the family.

Maddog37
19-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Really appreciate it as I am stuck in exciting Ballarat and unable to get there.

Really looking forward to seeing our kids like Jones, Grant, Ward, Cordy and Ruff go this year.

Also reckon Griff will step up again and hopefully be a killer one/two with Coons.

Cyberdoggie
19-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Just one addendum, last Saturday the short match practice had Jones, Grant and Hall doing the big man forward setup. Jones and Grant differ in my eyes in that Jones is more the lead, catch recover forward whilst Grant has the catch and run/evasion skills. They seem to complement each other well, the match play seem to be enforcing that they do not get into each others way. Maybe a look into the short term future with Grant and Jones playing under Hall.

I agree, Grant I think will take Bob Murphy's old role as the leading up higher and trying to play on and create assists etc, especially when both Jones and Hall are up forward.

Will be interesting to see how they combine.

Dazza
19-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Eade has said on SEN that we became too Hall focused last year so maybe we will be using these guys more often this year.

Excited about the prospect of having Jones, Grant and Hall in the team. Good thing about Jones is he isn't slack on the defensive side of things although being tall.

Ghost Dog
19-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Wing Nut. Only thing I'm qualified to mentor in, is Village Idiocy. But I do set the industry benchmark though.

BTW, love your name, Wing Nut. We might be related too. I'm a Forward-of-Wing Nut from the Interchange side of the family.

You'd be a good mentor for Beserk warriors Druid! :) Every army needs 'em

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Update on my previous post on Jason Johannissen. It was his father who was born in Durban, mother in Johannesburg.

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 10:04 PM
You'd be a good mentor for Beserk warriors Druid! :) Every army needs 'em

I do have a good warface don't I? :o

Although it is Berserker warriors though GD. From the Old Norse literature comes the legend of the Berserker. using a frenzied attack with almost uncontrolled aggression as their battle plan. From this, over time the word was shortened and colloqually used as a description of immense rage or madness in an individual, e.g. "Hes gone berserk!".

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=berserker&view=detail&id=740AF4753EF31E6A5D817212922A908DBF0D5F12&FORM=IGRE3

So end today's syntactical historical lesson. Class dismissed.

AndrewP6
19-01-2011, 10:16 PM

THe other day at the gym, I saw a guy who could easily pass as your double. He was there again today, I'm sooo tempted to ask him if he's a relative!

Ghost Dog
20-01-2011, 01:27 AM

Although it is Berserker warriors though GD. From the Old Norse literature comes the legend of the Berserker. using a frenzied attack with almost uncontrolled aggression as their battle plan. From this, over time the word was shortened and colloqually used as a description of immense rage or madness in an individual, e.g. "Hes gone berserk!".

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=berserker&view=detail&id=740AF4753EF31E6A5D817212922A908DBF0D5F12&FORM=IGRE3

"bull-buggering priest-killers of no fixed abode "(Blackadder reference)

Wing_Nut
20-01-2011, 02:33 AM

Is, is that you dad? :confused:

Desipura
20-01-2011, 07:45 AM
THe other day at the gym, I saw a guy who could easily pass as your double. He was there again today, I'm sooo tempted to ask him if he's a relative!

There surely cannot be room for 2 of them on this earth?;)

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 08:27 AM
Is, is that you dad? :confused:

can't be, been neutered. ;)

stefoid
20-01-2011, 12:16 PM

What a pussy! Hes wearing pants!

Bulldog4332
20-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Quick update Thursday Training.

38/39 players running, passing and doing a good job at skills work. Cooney never stopped running whilst I was there (9.30-10.30) and Sherman was doing countless 40 metre spints.

Brian was walking around picking daisies and Tommy Gun was full on in the training drills.

Higgins appeared out of the shed with lady Physio and then had two run throughs and then went back into the shed.

Port Adelaide spy was there again.

In one drill where players were doing keepings off in-pairs Gia shown great leadership in using expletives to insist on a better performed drill.

So 38/39 players full on training, cooney, sherman and Brian on the ground and higgins in/out. That makes about 42/43 players.

No sign of Hargraves.

Coffee and monte carlo biscuit top-notch. Cannot wait until 10 tomorrow.

Twodogs
20-01-2011, 03:00 PM
No sign of Hargraves.

That would be because we dont have a player called Hargraves.;)

Any sign of Ryan Hargrave?

Pickenitup
20-01-2011, 03:06 PM
How long do u think the session will go for tomorrow considering the East Meets West on Saturday?

Mantis
20-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Brian was walking around picking daisies and Tommy Gun was full on in the training drills.

Even though Brian was pretty quiet on the track he spent a fair bit of time on the treadmill before training and he is progressing well. No discomfort as yet and he is on track to play in the final stages of the NAB Cup series.

The Coon Dog
20-01-2011, 03:20 PM
How long do u think the session will go for tomorrow considering the East Meets West on Saturday?

A fair while I would think, the EMW day will be a smaller session allowing greater time for fans to mingle.

Mantis
20-01-2011, 03:20 PM

Tomorrow will be a pretty full on session with some match practice included.

Saturday's session will be fairly light in comparison.

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Caught a little of training this morning in between other tasks. Notable absentees were Hahn and Djerrkura who are in W.A. with Williamstown squad. Rookies would've gone as well but are required at AFL's Rookie Induction Day.
Players training away from main group include Cooney, Higgins, Sherman, Lake and Johannissen. All doing rehab based programs except Johannissen who was icing shin splints in between stationary hand drills. Hargrave was hopping around on his calipars giving encouragement where he could.
Rocket came over and had a chat to the regular motley crew I stand with at training. Very forthconig and forthright, our Rocket. The following will be a combination of statements and answers to questions;
- Roughhead will put some weight on now he has clearance from medicos after shoulder surgery and back to full contact training and weights program.
- Only concern with Tutt is that he needs to be able to get more of his own ball so it's an area the coaching staff are focusing on.
- Happy with how the new faces have fitted in with the rest of the guys in general.
- Enjoys watching Howard roost the ball laces out to leading players
- Will be watching earlier NAB Cup games on Fri/Sat to see how other teams look and adapt to new format/rules
- Not intimidated by the Scott twins possibly making it a family vendetta

Had to leave early so so little of the actual training today

Bulldog4332
22-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Match practice on Captain's day.

Barlow burnt from the wing, automatic selection round 1.
Howard great disposal, not sure he will get enough of it at this stage.
Jones again showed great overhead skills in windy conditions, will give defenders the "heeby jeebies"
Murphy played back the whole match play.
Dj showed lots of skills on ball.
Easton twinged a knee (pointed to 7 o'clock on the knee)

Best play- howard pin-points minson, minson holds then dishes of to howard running past, howard centimetre perfect to Zeph on the lead with a vertical leap catch. Brought Hoohs Haahs from the crowd.

Mantis
22-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Match practice on Captain's day.

Barlow burnt from the wing, automatic selection round 1.
Howard great disposal, not sure he will get enough of it at this stage.
Jones again showed great overhead skills in windy conditions, will give defenders the "heeby jeebies"
Murphy played back the whole match play.
Dj showed lots of skills on ball.
Easton twinged a knee (pointed to 7 o'clock on the knee)

Best play- howard pin-points minson, minson holds then dishes of to howard running past, howard centimetre perfect to Zeph on the lead with a vertical leap catch. Brought Hoohs Haahs from the crowd.

As a rookie he will need a player on the main list to be placed on the LTI for this to occur. Reported today that Hargrave might be out until rd 7 so I guess it's a possibility.

comrade
22-01-2011, 11:30 AM

They showed Howard's kick to Zephi on the news last night (as part of a story on Boyd). Very nice.

Gilbee Mk2

ledge
22-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Practice matches, do they give a true indication?
Being so close to the season starting, how much pressure is put on players tackle wise?
Are they mostly skill based and players are playing a free open running game?

Bulldog4332
22-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Practice matches, do they give a true indication?
Being so close to the season starting, how much pressure is put on players tackle wise?
Are they mostly skill based and players are playing a free open running game?

Good point,

I think you were not there yesterday, the tackling was as intense for an intra-club as possible. It took 5 ball-ups and several minutes to clear the ball from the first bounce. They were fair-dinkum, as far as I could see, any-one support or refute my claim?

Mantis
22-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Good point,

I think you were not there yesterday, the tackling was as intense for an intra-club as possible. It took 5 ball-ups and several minutes to clear the ball from the first bounce. They were fair-dinkum, as far as I could see, any-one support or refute my claim?

From the sessions I have seen they have been going pretty hard.

It seems the young guys are trying to create a good impression, the middle tier players are trying to step up and the senior guys are trying maintain their position which is creating some strong competition within the group.

jazzadogs
22-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Good point,

I remember a couple of decent tackles by Gia and Ward. Overall the tackling was pretty solid, but you'd hope (and assume) they've still got a level to step it up a bit.

I was at training yesterday, but didn't know which one Veszpremi was...did he do much? I was hoping to have a look at him but couldn't pick him out.

bornadog
22-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Cooney has definitely bulked up. When he first came to the club he was actually a little porky but then through training slimmed down and looked more athletic. This season he looks like he has put on a bit of weight. I hope he hasn't lost any pace.

ledge
22-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks boys, just wondered because players can look awesome when given time to do things.
Wonder what Eades thoughts are on how hard players should go when tackling etc during practice, its a line that must be drawn somewhere I would think.

Ghost Dog
22-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Any thoughts on Vezpremi at the moment guys?

Thanks for the 'eyes'

Jones again showed great overhead skills in windy conditions, will give defenders the "heeby jeebies"< -- I love this

Go_Dogs
22-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the continued reports, great read.

Bulldog4332
22-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Vezpremi is an interesting case. He has thick set legs and therefore does not look quick, in one play yesterday he led back into space from broken play and was in the right place at the right time. He seesm to be a leading type player but with a kolynuk type of build (maybe a bit taller). He seems to be a pure forward, would cause some grief if your midfield got on top.

DJ seemed to be running from one contest to another. Just seemed to know where to go to find the ball, was constantly practising tap-outs with John Barnes at every break.

Cooney is just a monster on-baller. He is 6 feet plus and built to run, with his two speeds he is an elite footballer. The reason he is hard to tag is that the normal tagger is not big enough and their are few 6"1 6"2 taggers. My own opinion is that we wrap him in cotton wool and then roll him out when matches
need to be won, like in his brownlow year. His disposal is elite.

azabob
22-01-2011, 03:45 PM
DJ seemed to be running from one contest to another. Just seemed to know where to go to find the ball, was constantly practising tap-outs with John Barnes at every break.

Who is DJ?

comrade
22-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Who is DJ?

Djerkurra.

azabob
22-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Djerkurra.

Thanks comrade.

ledge
22-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Good to hear on DJ story I heard he was fast but couldnt get the footy.

divvydan
22-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Noticed Higgins has been missing or doing rehab in the past few training sessions, does anyone know if he's picked up an injury and/or how serious it is?

Sockeye Salmon
22-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Cooney is just a monster on-baller. He is 6 feet plus and built to run, with his two speeds he is an elite footballer. The reason he is hard to tag is that the normal tagger is not big enough and their are few 6"1 6"2 taggers. My own opinion is that we wrap him in cotton wool and then roll him out when matches
need to be won, like in his brownlow year. His disposal is elite.

Welcome to 1983. Nearly every on-baller is at least 6' 1 these days.

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Noticed Higgins has been missing or doing rehab in the past few training sessions, does anyone know if he's picked up an injury and/or how serious it is?
He didn't say anything today, said his body feels good and he's raring to go. Unless he was telling big porkies ;)

Mofra
23-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Welcome to 1983. Nearly every on-baller is at least 6' 1 these days.
Cale Morton is 192cm - taller than Jarrad Grant when drafted.
Judd is 6 foot 3, as is Ling who was a FF when drafted :eek:

Ghost Dog
23-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Was not aware Judd was so tall either!
The illusion of TV is sometimes misleading.
recently found out Jack Reiwoldt is almost as tall (1cm dif ) as Buddy Franklin.
Was very surprised.

Pickenitup
24-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Any ideas on what days the boys train this week.

GVGjr
24-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Any ideas on what days the boys train this week.

The club website mentions the next open training session is on Thursday 27th at 9.30am.
They normally start venturing on the ground at bit after 9am.

Pickenitup
24-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Was hoping for a saturday session

The Coon Dog
24-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Was hoping for a saturday session

Yup, training Sat too.

Pickenitup
24-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks Coon Dog

LostDoggy
24-01-2011, 09:08 PM
I remember training sessions on Australia day in the past. None this year.

Mantis
25-01-2011, 10:37 AM
I remember training sessions on Australia day in the past. None this year.

Wednesday is a day the players have off and I guess all training sessions throughout the pre-season would be planned knowing that this day of the week is a rest day.

I guess if Australia Day fell on a Tuesday or Thursday we would probably see them training.

LostDoggy
27-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Wandered down this morning to watch the guys go through their paces. 12 players actually did a time-trial at Princes Park at 7:30am this morning (Josh Hill took 40 seconds off his previous time).
Just as I arrived at 10:00am, the team was doing a session of speed and agility training with the sandpit getting a good workout and giving the gathered fans an opportunity to have sand kicked in their face but in a good way. Standouts were this year's father/sons, Mitch and Tommy. Mitch seemed to skim across the sand without sinking in. Tommy was dancing on the spot doing his best impression of Fred Astaire.
A short sharp balls skills session followed with no real standouts. Being spread out across the ground doesn't help when you want to do comparitives. Bazza ceased training but it was cottonwooling for the 'old fella'. He is our oldest player, remember. But for God's Sake' don't tell Barry I said that!! Please??
Finished off with some match practice drills. I paid particular attention to the forwards/ defenders. Dale Morris and Bob Murphy spent much of the time explaining/demonstrating a few tricks and set plays to some of the newer guys. Both are natural leaders and it's encouraging to see their wisdom is being passed on and shared around.
Rocket had a little dig at my 'SEN "Flogs and Polishes" on the weekend. so I asked for a F and P from him. His flog was that he didn't have anything to flog footy-wise but wasn't too impressed with Nadal's effort in last night's tennis match against Ferrer. Injury or no injury. His polish went to this years rookies, amongst the best that he has seen as a coach and not just from the training track. Says the young blokes have all settled in really well, and a special mention went to Liam Jones who has impressed immensely all summer.
On the injuries front, Cooney is coming good slowly but surely. Missy had a back spasm last week and only did some laps (10 x400's) of the oval. More a case of precautionary than anything else, Rocket stated. Brian Lake is well ahead of schedule in his recovery from 3 ops on different bits. Shaggy was restricted to the bike due to foot surgery.
Rocket also passes on his greetings and salutations to all in the WOOF community as well.
So ends my training report.
:)

Scraggers
27-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Cheers DD !!

stefoid
27-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Says the young blokes have all settled in really well, and a special mention went to Liam Jones who has impressed immensely all summer.

http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens8834841_1262925303montgomery-burns.gif

OLD SCRAGGer
27-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Wandered down this morning to watch the guys go through their paces. 12 players actually did a time-trial at Princes Park at 7:30am this morning (Josh Hill took 40 seconds off his previous times).
Just as I arrived at 10:00am, the team was doing a session of speed and agility training with the sandpit getting a good workout and giving the gathered fans an opportunity to have sand kicked in their face but in a good way. Standouts were this year's father/sons, Mitch and Tommy. Mitch seemed to skim across the sand without sinking in. Tommy was dancing on the spot doing his best impression of Fred Astaire.
A short sharp balls skills session followed with no real standouts. Being spread out across the ground doesn't help when you want to do comparitives. Bazza ceased training but it was cottonwooling for the 'old fella'. He is our oldest player, remember.
Finished off with some match practice drills. I paid particular attention to the forwards/ defenders. Dale Morris and Bob Murphy spent much of the time explaining/demonstrating a few tricks and set plays to some of the newer guys. Both are natural leaders and it's encouraging to see their wisdom is being passed on and shared around.
Rocket had a little dig at my 'SEN "Flogs and Polishes" on the weekend. so I asked for a F and P from him. His flog was that he didn't have anything to flog footy-wise but wasn't too impressed with Nadal's effort in last night's tennis match against Ferrer. His polish went to this years rookies, amongst the best that he has seen as a coach and not just from the training track. Says the young blokes have all settled in really well, and a special mention went to Liam Jones who has impressed immensely all summer.
On the injuries front, Cooney is coming good slowly but surely. Missy had a back spasm last week and only did some laps of the oval. More a case of precautionary than anything else, Rocket stated. Brian Lake is well ahead of schedule in his recovery from 3 ops on different bits. Shaggy was restricted to the bike due to foot surgery.
Rocket also passes on his greetings and salutations to all in the WOOF comminty as well.
So ends my training report.

And what a GOOD report it is too Adam :) I thought you'd still be in shock over "THE BEARD" ????

LostDoggy
27-01-2011, 08:42 PM
And what a GOOD report it is too Adam :) I thought you'd still be in shock over "THE BEARD" ????

When I arrived at Whitten Oval, I had already assigned myself several tasks to be carried out. Some were given high priority, others needed to be complleted in a specific order. For example, every visit to watch training does not officially start until I have obtained my mug of latte with two sugars from the Pound. I might say hi to you as I walk past, but that 1st coffee is now my bundy clock. :cool:
Highest priority today specifically went into watching enough training to give a half-decent report to the faithful here. If you all haven't noticed yet, the new teeth haven't slowed down the mouth when it comes to flapping the gums! Gasbagging too much too often and missing most of training in the process. I end up unable to add anything of note on here. Jeez I'm red hot for that at times!! :rolleyes:
Next highest priority went into asking Rocket a few things you guys might like to know. Just a few becauase I know he is busy at Whitten with the coachs hat on but it was more appropriate than when he was in the same row seven seats over at last night's Nadal vs. Ferrer game. He had his dad's hat on there. I did say hello and shake hands. I didn't want our own Mr Smorgan thinking there was some sort of rift between us. El Presidente was sitting a couple aisles over and a couple rows closer to court and was in oi range. After all, I did stand out just a smidge with the hair way up there and head to toe in over size Robodog shirt and short combination. Collar didn't get a guernsey due to me thinking that they would much prefer my collar on a nice polo number from Lacoste:eek:
The Peoples Beard then slotted in 3 on my list of Tasks once I confirmed with own eyes. Got the whisper as I came around the fence prior to Task 1 but did not become Task 3 until I completed Task 1 and had begun Task 2. What was Task 3, it went on to become Task 5, There was no Task 4 prior to me arriving with the original Task 3 but with The People Beard creating a change frantically and fliudly in the flux of my Tasks list a brand spanking new Task 4 developed hence the old Task 3 becoming a Task 5. ;)
It is at this conjecture, that I was remiss in my intial report and failed to notify you all of the outcome of Task 4. When asked by me what they thought of The People's Beard being AWOL from training, Rocket is quoted "No comment! Next question?" :D

I hope that explains things, OLDSCRAGGer.

And Stefiod, I totally agree with your post above with the exception of Task 3. The new Task 3, not the old Task 3.

w3design
27-01-2011, 09:57 PM
That last bit about the tasks hurt my head.

Mantis
27-01-2011, 10:53 PM
What was that call again 'comrade'??

stefoid
27-01-2011, 11:03 PM
That last bit about the tasks hurt my head.

Dougie Hawkins nightmare tounge twister!

AndrewP6
28-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Huh?

Or, in the words of Stone Cold Steve Austin:

WHAT????

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Love the training report DD, but just reading your last post makes my head hurt - I think I have a headache now.........

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm camping down at Barwon heads this week and apparently the Dogs are training on the beach and bluff here today at 10am. I saw Griff and Gilbee arrive last night, apparently Griff owns an onsite van in the park. Must go, I need to cook my bacon and eggs before they arrive. I will grab some iPhone pic and post later on.

Mmmmm bacon!!

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Barwon Heads training now over. Basically a hard running session up and down the steps and tracks around the bluff. With the exception of Griff, gilbee, hairless huddo, and perhaps Minson, all the other players present were the "b" team.

Couldn't observe all the time as they were running the tracks but of note was both Minson and Wallace were always pushing through the group to outrun the others. On a bad note Griff rolled his ankle and had to sit out the last half of the session, however I did overhear trainers saying it wasn't bad.

My stlylish pup had some photos with the players at the end of the session, rocket asked him who his favourite player was. Met by silence, I said he is no longer with us, rocket said"" "what, the lunatic", and I just nodded.

I have photos Of the session but way to hard to post from my iPhone so may upload when back in the big smoke.

Apparently they were all now heading to Torquay

The Bulldogs Bite
28-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Minson sounds like he's having a huge pre-season. He needs to, but it's pleasing to hear.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Minson sounds like he's having a huge pre-season. He needs to, but it's pleasing to hear.

Agreed.

I don't think the second ruck position is as settled as some on this board are suggesting. Roughy is a great prospect, but I think it could be the year of Minson.

Bulldog4life
28-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Couldn't observe all the time as they were running the tracks but of note was both Minson and Wallace were always pushing through the group to outrun the others. On a bad note Griff rolled his ankle and had to sit out the last half of the session, however I did overhear trainers saying it wasn't bad.

Tezza making a comeback. :)

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Couldn't be, my signature sent an email saying Wallace was being held by the Shinig Path revolutionaries until they realised he had taken up coaching communism. They have since turned him over to the Peruvian authorities along with the 8 boxes of tanning products he had when he was kidnapped. :)

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 08:04 PM

My bad:mad: . Must have been overwhelmed whilst swimming with all the gromets at Ocean Grove:D.

It was infact the blonde headed afro boy!

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Agreed.

I don't think the second ruck position is as settled as some on this board are suggesting. Roughy is a great prospect, but I think it could be the year of Minson.

Yep, will was always going to take a while to hit his straps ...best thing about him is he has (slowly) improved year by year , apart from last year when he had a shocker through no fault of his own . I worry the recent rule changes will hurt will more than most , which is a shame coz under the old rules I think he would have eventually made it.. Sounds like he is going hell for leather to stake a claim at the moment anyway .

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Couldn't be, my signature sent an email saying Wallace was being held by the Shinig Path revolutionaries until they realised he had taken up coaching communism. They have since turned him over to the Peruvian authorities along with the 8 boxes of tanning products he had when he was kidnapped. :)

Umm, I wonder were those tanning products stolen?

Mantis
29-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Just back from training, observations:

* Jones copped a stray arm in match practice and ended up with a broken nose (No jokes about the size of his snooz)... He came back on, but left training shortly after.

* Picken copped a corky and left the track, it was in the same spot as a recent one which had him a little frustrated.

* Higgins did running and agility work, over his back complaint and will be back in full training next week.

* Cooney is increasing his running and is looking good. Much higher intensity than when I saw him running 3 weeks back.

* Lake did some stretching and light running. He didn't look as thin to me as others have described.

* Wood was impressive in the match practice, looks in for a good year.

* Josh Hill was also good, played up on a wing and covered the ground well. Did some nice things in the back half, but ran hard forward which is encouraging.

* Of the new guys Dahlhaus & Schofield did some nice things and will be 2 players to watch with interest.

* Cordy played at CHB in the match practice and did ok.. perhaps a new role??

If any one has a query on a particular player let me know and I will try and give some feedback on what I saw.

Maddog37
29-01-2011, 01:25 PM
How did Zeph go?

Also Hooper?

Thanks in advance......

The Underdog
29-01-2011, 01:27 PM
If any one has a query on a particular player let me know and I will try and give some feedback on what I saw.

Was Sherman used off a hff in the match practice? How did he look?
Also interested in Djerkurra and Veszpremi, particularly their roles in the mp.

Interesting to see Cordy playing CHB. I like it. Jones is clearly earmarked for a forward role and Cordy might just have the flexibility to go down back or at least cover for when Williams or Lake are out.

divvydan
29-01-2011, 01:31 PM
If anyone knows a good way to tell the difference between Tutt and Schofield could they let me know. Especially difficult when at least one of them has a hat on and I can't see the face clearly.

Mantis
29-01-2011, 01:36 PM
How did Zeph go?

Also Hooper?

Thanks in advance......

Neither got a heap of the ball, but there defensive pressure was good, especially Skinner.. he loves to tackle.

Skinner's fitness seems to be improving as well which is good.

Was Sherman used off a hff in the match practice? How did he look?
Also interested in Djerkurra and Veszpremi, particularly their roles in the mp.

Interesting to see Cordy playing CHB. I like it. Jones is clearly earmarked for a forward role and Cordy might just have the flexibility to go down back or at least cover for when Williams or Lake are out.

Sherman didn't play a heap of minutes, but when he played he lined up on a wing/ HF.

Djerrkura played in the middle and was good, he's a better player than I thought he was.

Vez played up forward and was matched up on Morris. Vez didn't do much, but I did hear after training that Dale was pretty keen to win the battle as Vez touched him up in some recent match practice.

Agree on the Cordy, if for nothing else it will be good for his development and if it works it might give us some cover.

comrade
29-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the report, Mantis.

How did Howard look? Was he off a HBF or did he spend some time in the middle?

Did Roughy and Will match up? If so, who took the honours?

Mantis
29-01-2011, 02:12 PM
How did Howard look? Was he off a HBF or did he spend some time in the middle?

Yep, he was on a HBF and I didn't notice him in the middle at the resumption of play after a goal. I didn't really notice him too much except that he took the kick-outs.

Did Roughy and Will match up? If so, who took the honours?

The 4 rucks (Roughy, Minson, Huddo & Prato) rotated pretty heavily and seeing as though it was only a shortish match ( 2 x 15min) the match-ups were never really constant. There didn't seem to be any clear winners in the middle, but I did notice Will getting his hands on the ball in general play moreso than Roughy.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Nice report Mantis.

Did Reid, Panos, Tom Hill and Wallis play?

Go_Dogs
29-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the report Mantis, the news re: Josh Hill is very pleasing, and I think it's a good role for him to be able to play further up the field too.

bulldogsman
29-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Great report Mantis.

Did Markovic and Mulligan play? How did they go?

soupman
29-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Good to hear Josh Hill further up the ground. I think he could really excel off a wing and if nothing else it might help with rotations.

Was Murphy down back? And how did Libba go?

w3design
29-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the writeup.

Did you see much of Callan Ward? how is he looking?

thanks.

chef
29-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks Mantis, Has Addison carried on his good form from the end of last year?

Mantis
29-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Did Reid, Panos, Tom Hill and Wallis play?

Of those only T.Hill didn't play. Didn't really notice Panos, but trained well in the other drills.

Both Reid & Wallis got a bit of the ball, but their kicking wasn't the best.

Did Markovic and Mulligan play? How did they go?

Markovic was on Hall, Baz took one strong mark for a goal, but was quiet otherwise.

Didn't notice Mulligan.

Was Murphy down back? And how did Libba go?

Yep Murf was up back, looked good.

Libba spent some time on ball, showed great vision in one bit of play when he fired out a handball to Barlow for a goal in a congested area. Got knocked off the ball a couple of times, but this bound to happen playing against bigger bodies.

Did you see much of Callan Ward? how is he looking?

Looking good, is showing the benefit of having a sound body and looks set for a good year. Showed off his ability to win the contested ball in the match simulation.

Thanks Mantis, Has Addison carried on his good form from the end of last year?

It's hard to tell, isn't a real flashy type so he went a little un-noticed. He seems to be training well and I'm sure he will be pushing hard in the praccy matches to secure a permanent spot in the team.

Raw Toast
01-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Is there a training session at WO this Thursday morning? I'm on kids duty on Thursdays from this week onwards and a bit of time around the hallowed turf should be enjoyed by all of us.

aker39
01-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Is there a training session at WO this Thursday morning? I'm on kids duty on Thursdays from this week onwards and a bit of time around the hallowed turf should be enjoyed by all of us.

Sure is.

10.30am

LostDoggy
02-02-2011, 05:18 PM
There is a video on the club website of the boys surfing down at Torquay if anyone is up for a laugh. It seems that not all sports come naturally.

I think the vision was taken last Friday after the boys completed their training session down at Barwon Heads.

LostDoggy
03-02-2011, 09:36 AM
There is a video on the club website of the boys surfing down at Torquay if anyone is up for a laugh. It seems that not all sports come naturally.

I think the vision was taken last Friday after the boys completed their training session down at Barwon Heads.

Yes, I saw it last night - it did bring a smile to my face! I was surprised that their balance and core strength didn't give them the ability to stand up for long on a surfboard! However, never having surfed, maybe I'm on the wrong path about what you need to stand up!

Raw Toast
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Sure is.

10.30am

Grand - I'll have a go at negotiating the rain and see how we go.

cinder
03-02-2011, 09:50 AM
So will I, hope the weather does hold out!

LostDoggy
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
on my way!!! C'mon bus!

w3design
03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Yes, I saw it last night - it did bring a smile to my face! I was surprised that their balance and core strength didn't give them the ability to stand up for long on a surfboard! However, never having surfed, maybe I'm on the wrong path about what you need to stand up!

Balancing on land is one thing, Surfing is a whole different kettle of fish. Takes alot of practice. Maybe I could have given them some tips;)

LostDoggy
03-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Ventured down to the WO this morning to watch the boys go through their paces! Still struggling to identify a few of the newbies (I'm old, okay?), but the stand outs for me this morning were Wilbur - OMG he has dropped a few kgs., and looks fit, fresh, enthusiastic and ready to rock! Mitch Wallis - not that tall but he has got the build of an elite footballer already - looking forward to watching him play. Cooney running laps on his own looked a lonely sight, as did Bwian after most of the boys had finished. He looks a long way off the pace at the minute. Good to see Ayce on the field and obviously fit - every other time I have seen him he has had his arm in a sling - LOL! Higgins is looking great too. As they were doing their handball and kicking drills, there was lots of talk, motivating one another, etc. Probably is always like this, but I guess I have always sat in the Pound and had a coffee whilst the boys were on the track the few times I have been down there. Had the pleasure of meeting DaDruid - made myself known to him and had a good chat - thanks for the company Adam!:D

LostDoggy
03-02-2011, 06:15 PM
NB to my previous post - the Beard is gone, and I don't think it will be back :(

The Bulldogs Bite
03-02-2011, 06:23 PM
It wasn't a session you could take much from, individually speaking. However a few observations on my behalf;

* Howard's kicking is deadly, as we already know. If he can adjust to the pace of the game, he might surprise this season.

* Wallis is in very good condition for a first year player. Much more advanced than Libba, who looks like he's sixteen. I doubt Libba will play any games during the year.

* Cordy is noticeably bigger, and still agile.

* Cooney looks in great shape, despite still running by himself. Looks very fit and strong.

* Higgins is moving much better.

* Markovic contested pretty well against Minson.

* Johanissen (sp?) is very light and raw. Looked buggered and struggled to kick the ball 15-20 meters. Needs to hit the gym.

* Veszpremi can kick a ball.

* Morris is huge. He's got muscles on top of his muscles.

LostDoggy
03-02-2011, 07:16 PM
* Morris is huge. He's got muscles on top of his muscles.

Don't let his biceps hear you say that, last time someone mentioned their figure and its'rather large size, they slapped the miscreant with 'The Glove'. ;)

Ozza
07-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Went to 'The Pound' for brekky on Saturday and ended up staying for training.

Whole group was out there and worked pretty hard for an hour.

Brian and Coons did their own thing. Brian was just doing slow laps and a few of the boys were giving him a bit of stick saying: "Take your time Brian...get yourself right mate" - obviously referring to his comments in the media about getting himself right rather than rushing back for round 1.

Gee Mitch Wallis is a big kid. He looks like he's done about 6 or 7 pre-seasons, not in his first year!

Torocani
08-02-2011, 05:39 PM
We've been getting Mitchy and lil' Libba in for our pre-seasons the last few years havent we? I bet that's helped Mitchy fill out a bit.

Anyone know if there will be training on Thursday? The website says there's an intra-club match on Saturday but I won't be able to go to that one.

The Coon Dog
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
We've been getting Mitchy and lil' Libba in for our pre-seasons the last few years havent we? I bet that's helped Mitchy fill out a bit.

Anyone know if there will be training on Thursday? The website says there's an intra-club match on Saturday but I won't be able to go to that one.

Not too sure given the players have a community camp this week in Horsham.

always right
08-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Can anyone confirm that Reid injured his shoulder at training? Not sure how serious but any injury would be cruel..he's had a shocking run.

Mantis
09-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Can anyone confirm that Reid injured his shoulder at training? Not sure how serious but any injury would be cruel..he's had a shocking run.

Only a minor injury, might hold him back for a week at most.

Mantis
09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Just a bit of feedback from training yesterday:

- The match practice was very good, the best standard it's been.
- The players to shine included Griffen, Jones, Stack, J.Hill, Murphy, Gia & Gilbee.
- Skinner's tackling and pressure was also very good.

We will have about 40 guys running around on Saturday for the intra-club which should make for a very good hit-out.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Stack seems to be having a very good pre-season.

He can find the goals at AFL level, but really needs to improve his intensity and find more of the ball.

Murphy'sLore
09-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Good to hear about J. Hill. Fingers crossed, this could be his big year!

Desipura
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Just a bit of feedback from training yesterday:

- The match practice was very good, the best standard it's been.
- The players to shine included Griffen, Jones, Stack, J.Hill, Murphy, Gia & Gilbee.
- Skinner's tackling and pressure was also very good.

We will have about 40 guys running around on Saturday for the intra-club which should make for a very good hit-out.
Great to see Jones regularly mentioned, we could potentially build a forward line around him in years to come.

Cyberdoggie
09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Only a minor injury, might hold him back for a week at most.

Phew!

This guy needs some luck on the injury front.

Dazza
09-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Did Essendon have a intra club match at the whitten oval today? Heard it on the radio but didn't sound right...

azabob
09-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Did Essendon have a intra club match at the whitten oval today? Heard it on the radio but didn't sound right...

Yes.

ledge
09-02-2011, 07:49 PM
I hope we charged them 50,000 to use it, they are loaded, bulldoze some of our debt.

Sockeye Salmon
09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
I hope we charged them 50,000 to use it, they are loaded, bulldoze some of our debt.

We put a curse on it instead. They limped away with 3 injuries.

LostDoggy
10-02-2011, 12:58 AM

The old biddies had already done the same in a cursing ceremony conducted over the back fence of the Essendon Bowling Club. This is the real reason behind the Bombers venturing to Whitten Oval.

chef
10-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Who got injured?

LostDoggy
10-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Oh, am I a bad person to smile at this post?

Daughter of the West
10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Oh, am I a bad person to smile at this post?

Nope!

Maddog37
10-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how Tom Hill is going?

Twodogs
11-02-2011, 12:04 PM

I wonder if we do get a quid pro quo of some sort for letting them use our ground? It's not the first time that Essendon have used Whitten Oval during preseason, they used it last year as well. North have used it in the past too.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Someone said Richmond used the ground a week or so ago also. As you say I hope we make something ouyt of it.

Bulldog4life
11-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I wonder if we do get a quid pro quo of some sort for letting them use our ground? It's not the first time that Essendon have used Whitten Oval during preseason, they used it last year as well. North have used it in the past too.

Good point. No closed session also for Jimmy and his boys this time.

Cyberdoggie
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Someone said Richmond used the ground a week or so ago also. As you say I hope we make something ouyt of it.

I think the WO is one of the only grounds around at this time of the year where clubs can suitably run an intra club and on a good surface.

A lot of grounds ar used for cricket and some are just not up to scratch.

I think it's great that we can make something out of it,
i just don't want them soiling our club rooms ;)

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Yuk, Tiger droppings everywhere !

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 11:49 AM

:eek:

Cyberdoggie
18-02-2011, 02:09 PM

I think i found one of those in my cats litter tray this morning!

My god it was evil!

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I think the WO is one of the only grounds around at this time of the year where clubs can suitably run an intra club and on a good surface.

A lot of grounds ar used for cricket and some are just not up to scratch.

I think it's great that we can make something out of it,
i just don't want them soiling our club rooms ;)

I got to say I had brekky there yesterday and the track is Pristine! We should be charging other teams just to look at it let alone train on it. :)