18-11-2010, 10:48 PM
http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/schofield_jayden.jpg
Former club:East Fremantle / Railways

DOB:14/05/1992

Height:179cm

Weight:75kg

Position Defender

Player assessment
Medium defender from Western Australia who boasts electrifying speed. Made one appearance for WA at the NAB AFL Under-18 championships.

Bulldog Joe
18-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Electrifying speed seems to be one of the criteria we need.

anfo27
18-11-2010, 10:57 PM
why is our club website the only one not to have anything on the draft? not good enough.

GVGjr
18-11-2010, 11:05 PM

He does a lot of things well but his pace seems to be his best asset. His decision making is good plus he has a strong grab for a smaller player.

ledge
18-11-2010, 11:11 PM

A bloke named McMahon was speedy , doesnt mean a thing if you have no ball skills,

lemmon
18-11-2010, 11:12 PM
A bloke named McMahon was speedy , doesnt mean a thing if you have no ball skills,

Eade seems to rate his disposal, not sure where I read it but Ive seen him compared to Rooke, tough as a cats head if thats correct.

bulldogsman
18-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Looks alright

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/305677/jayden-schofield/

divvydan
18-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Only getting audio on that link, the commercial worked fine though.

bulldogsman
18-11-2010, 11:35 PM

Working fine for me

Scorlibo
18-11-2010, 11:36 PM

Same, bigpond video is seriously frustrating with its inconsistencies.

bulldogsman
19-11-2010, 12:17 AM
There you go, just uploaded it to youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGQksysCv3o

soupman
19-11-2010, 12:23 AM
There you go, just uploaded it to youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGQksysCv3o

Love the fist pump action when he kicks the goals.

vho
19-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Love the fist pump action when he kicks the goals.

certainly loves a goal :D

divvydan
19-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks bulldogsman, much appreciated.

divvydan
19-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Basic Stats for Jayden:

2010 Colts

21 games

Averaged;

18.0 Disposals
11.8 Kicks; 6.2 Handballs
5.0 Marks
0.7 Goals, 0.4 Behinds
1.2 Frees for, 1.2 Frees against
1.8 Inside 50's
PRS (DT equiv): 72.6

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2010, 01:21 AM
I like the video. He looks like he has good hands.

Very clean below the knees as well.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-11-2010, 03:49 AM
I like the video. He looks like he has good hands.

Very clean below the knees as well.

Ditto. Makes good decisions, neat disposal and very quick.

Hell of a grab too.

Interesting prospect. Why'd he last to our pick? His stats look OK too.

azabob
19-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Ditto. Makes good decisions, neat disposal and very quick.

Hell of a grab too.

Interesting prospect. Why'd he last to our pick? His stats look OK too.

Wonder if MJP can shed some light on him?

Mofra
19-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Video looks promising, appears pretty agile to go with his pace. Good mark.
With Howard/Tutt being good kicks it helps to have someone who looks like they can run the ball form defence.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 11:02 AM
So were the draft watchers right in claiming that this was a 'deep' draft, despite the GC draft rape? Seemed to be a lot of talent still at the post-50 pick mark, where you're normally entering spud territory. I guess time will tell, but maybe the kids are just getting better.

With full professionalism and more money poured into the AFL a couple of decades ago, making it a more viable professional option, it seems that more kids have been preparing for it for longer and more seriously now than in the first ten or so drafts, and they're also getting more savvy about what an AFL club is looking for -- drafts are only going to get deeper in the future, which can only be a good thing.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Btw, on the video -- I could swear that I was watching Ryan Hargrave + better overhead marking.

Mofra
19-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Snoop's take:

Jayden Schofield - Colts team of the year member who has plenty of aggro and showed good form late in the year. Havent seen him but another the locals like and has a bit of the Max Rooke's.
Pace & aggression? Promising start.

Bulldog Revolution
19-11-2010, 01:31 PM
apart from looking like maybe he has no neck he looks promising, but you'd want to on your own highlights tape

ledge
19-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I am impressed looks a bit awkward but maybe his body shape, very natural talent, seemed to be telling players what to do in one part and a kind of leader type.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 02:22 PM
So were the draft watchers right in claiming that this was a 'deep' draft, despite the GC draft rape? Seemed to be a lot of talent still at the post-50 pick mark, where you're normally entering spud territory. I guess time will tell, but maybe the kids are just getting better.

With full professionalism and more money poured into the AFL a couple of decades ago, making it a more viable professional option, it seems that more kids have been preparing for it for longer and more seriously now than in the first ten or so drafts, and they're also getting more savvy about what an AFL club is looking for -- drafts are only going to get deeper in the future, which can only be a good thing.

Here here. Will we see a time soon where the lists are extended to compliment the money/training/facilities/expert coaching that is put into these kids are foundation at state levels?

Two new teams over the next two seasons means 50-60 new spots for young players (after the movement of established free agents). Are the AFL worried that the boys towards the bottom half of the draft in coming years who'll get passed over will move to other sports (cricket/soccer/basketball) and the facets given to them, as above, will be money wasted?

In years gone by it was if you were good enough you got drafted, but now and in future seasons the dollar cost of bringing a kid through to trade day, only to see them lost to AFL, would have a large, though difficult to measure value potentially down the drain.

The new rights deal is just around the corner.

Curly5
19-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I look at him and I think "Liam Picken", only chunkier. Has that have-a-go, don't-mess-with-me look about him. Future leader, feared defender, will make his mark.

Trust me, I'm seldom wrong about these things. ;)

mjp
19-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Wonder if MJP can shed some light on him?

Once I get over the disappointment of one of my least liked players being drafted by the Bulldogs I will try.

Don't get me wrong - he can play - but does things that only supporters of the club he is playing for would appreciate...home fans love him, opposition hate him. Until yesterday I fell into the latter category.

mighty_west
19-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Once I get over the disappointment of one of my least liked players being drafted by the Bulldogs I will try.

Don't get me wrong - he can play - but does things that only supporters of the club he is playing for would appreciate...home fans love him, opposition hate him. Until yesterday I fell into the latter category.

Interesting, so he's a bit of a wanker then?

azabob
19-11-2010, 03:43 PM

Classic, sorry mjp I couldn't help laughing to myself reading your post. Look forward to hearing what you think his strengths and weaknesses are.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Someone opposition coaches hate. This can only be a good thing.

Bulldog Revolution
19-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Did he play Nat Champs in 2010?

Sounds like he is a mongrel - is this a quality we need more of?

What comment would you make on his work ethic, albeit not having seen him up close

Do you think his issues are just white line fever? will do anything to win?

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2010, 04:21 PM

We have our very own Stephen Milne?

vho
19-11-2010, 04:40 PM
We have our very own Stephen Milne?

Think Josh Carr

mighty_west
19-11-2010, 04:43 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/105448/default.aspx

He sounds excited, as i'm sure they all do, i like this bit:

Schofield grew up as a West Coast Eagles fan, but his sister and younger brothers are as he describes "mad Bulldogs fans" so it did not take him long to try on the Red, White and Blue.

"I have all the Bulldogs shirts at home already, so I have just stolen them from them (laughs)," he said.

Desipura
19-11-2010, 04:49 PM

So he is like Libba in that way?

Mofra
19-11-2010, 05:16 PM
With the number of nice guys on our list, this sounds positive.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I think mjp hates him cos he 'changed' the game in the wafl colts gf.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 06:01 PM

Like Aker? :) (ps. I do like mongrel. The question is, can our changing room posse handle it? You wouldn't want his attitude to be choked out of him by the senior brigade, which does seem far more comfortable with meat and three veg types.)

chef
19-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Like Picken, Libba etc?

Mantis
19-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Like Aker? :) (ps. I do like mongrel. The question is, can our changing room posse handle it? You wouldn't want his attitude to be choked out of him by the senior brigade, which does seem far more comfortable with meat and three veg types.)

Who most probably be gone in 2 to 3 years.

Mofra
20-11-2010, 10:26 AM
If Cooney is captain I dare say there wont be too much fuss over a player with a little mongrel/flair.

GVGjr
20-11-2010, 10:43 AM

There is a line between arrogance and confidence. I don't mind youngsters with a bit of pep in their step but the arrogant ones tend to eventually get caught out.

mjp
20-11-2010, 11:09 AM
OK. Here goes:

- The poster who said 'think Josh Carr' is on the money.
- Blinding speed? Haven't really seen it in a game but that said he does receive the ball in space a fair bit...this represents either cheating (my previous take on things) or hard work and hard running (my new assessment).
- His decision making is a bit 'down the line' - not particularly inventive with the ball, seems to get a bit of tunnel vision. He is a 70m per possession player though who does try to run his measure and kick long to a target/space. I would like to see him swivel his head more and look to the corridor/open player a lot more but I guess that will come.
- Kicks it OK. Serviceable without being brilliant. Think Addison I guess - comes undone due to decisions not due to skills.
- Very determined tackler.
- Definitely team focused. Played a couple of roles in finals that some other guys who had played in the National champs would have resisted. That said, there were a heap of guys ahead of him in the WA group which was obviously not great this year and didn't win a game against a division 1 opponent.

I am somewhere between mildly surprised and completely shocked he has been drafted. But. If we have selected him with the thought that he could have a career similar to say - Josh Carr or even Steven Baker - then I understand it. I guess he has more athletic capability that both of those guys so might end up having a bit more impact on the attacking side of the ball.

That is about it.

KT31
20-11-2010, 11:18 AM
There is a line between arrogance and confidence. I don't mind youngsters with a bit of pep in their step but the arrogant ones tend to eventually get caught out.

I agree.
I don't mind a small ammount of arrogance but a lot means you think you know it all and aren't prepared to learn.
IMO you must have some to believe you can play at the elite level they will be expected.
I don't think they should think they are the best , but are at least capable of believing one day they are capable of being a great players.

LostDoggy
20-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I can't understand how we could take this guy when we had the chance to take Casley. Based on the assessment by mjp it sounds to me that Casley is a better player.

comrade
20-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I can't understand how we could take this guy when we had the chance to take Casley. Based on the assessment by mjp it sounds to me that Casley is a better player.

I think it's a bit unfair to make a judgement call on Schofield considering a) he hasn't even stepped foot in the Club yet, and b) every club passed over Casley on numerous occasions.

Scorlibo
20-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I think it's a bit unfair to make a judgement call on Schofield considering a) he hasn't even stepped foot in the Club yet, and b) every club passed over Casley on numerous occasions.

I've only looked at Casley's highlights video, but he doesn't seem to have much going for him. Decent mark, but not tall enough for a key position at AFL level, very slow, poor kick, there really isn't much to get excited about from his highlights video. I have no idea why anyone would want to pick him up.

soupman
20-11-2010, 07:08 PM

I struggle to understand comments like this.

While you obviously have some base knowledge of Casley's ability I am doubtful that you have seen him play, and even if so only on one or two occassions. Further, I would assume your knowledge of Schofield is almost entirely from this thread. So from a brief assesment courtesy of mjp, you have made a clear decision that Casley is a better AFL prospect.

Surely Dalrymple and company would have spent hours analysing various players, and in the end decided to go with Schofield (who also is a prospective half back, an area which we need replacements in and in which Casley is not adept).

boydogs
20-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Same goes for Skinner ;)

always right
20-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Highlight reels cn be misleading but Schofield certainly has a more impressive reel than Casely. Looks like he has an appetite for the ball and is prepared to chase.

lemmon
21-11-2010, 10:11 AM
I think the hype around Casley has been a touch misleading and rather then being based on performace or ability has been based on the fact that
a. He was able to kick goals at VFL level and
b. He's keen on coming to the dogs and is good mates with Liberatore and Wallis
His reputation as a footballer seems to have been boosted by these two points when really he was unspectacular for a struggling Jets team, was named most consistent at the awards night but didnt make the TAC team of the year nor represent Vic Metro. I wouldnt mind seeing him drafted purely because at this point there isnt much left available, his attitude seems healthy, he is keen on the bulldogs and he has performed against men at senior VFL level. In saying that what position he would best suit Im not sure, probably a hit up half forward where he can use his marking and clean hands (undoubtedly his best asset) but even then Im not sure he has the pace or fitness base to regularly break away from a defender on the lead.

Ghost Dog
21-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Like Picken, Libba etc?

Well, I wouldn't mind another Liam Picken. If Schofield has more or less the same amount of bulldog bite, can't see a problem. That kind of swagger is pretty common these days. CAn anyone be a bit more specific on some incidents re Jayden?

IF it stays on field and within the rules, then part of the game. What Aker did was outside the game and that's where it can be so damaging.

mjp
21-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Based on the assessment by mjp it sounds to me that Casley is a better player.

I thought my assessment was pretty positive!

comrade
21-11-2010, 12:39 PM
How misleading can a highlights vid be?

Schofield looks like an athletic, running half back who's dangerous around the goals, but has been compared to Josh Carr and Steven Baker by mjp (who's seen him plenty).

It will be interesting to see what sort of player he turns into.

Twodogs
21-11-2010, 01:25 PM
On draft night Kevin Sheahan said that Schofield was a lot like Josh Carr in his apporaoch to the game. I took that to mean that he would do jobs that noone else wanted to do and would do anything to get his team across the line.

EasternWest
21-11-2010, 03:38 PM

OK. Here goes:

- The poster who said 'think Josh Carr' is on the money.
- Blinding speed? Haven't really seen it in a game but that said he does receive the ball in space a fair bit...this represents either cheating (my previous take on things) or hard work and hard running (my new assessment).
- His decision making is a bit 'down the line' - not particularly inventive with the ball, seems to get a bit of tunnel vision. He is a 70m per possession player though who does try to run his measure and kick long to a target/space. I would like to see him swivel his head more and look to the corridor/open player a lot more but I guess that will come.
- Kicks it OK. Serviceable without being brilliant. Think Addison I guess - comes undone due to decisions not due to skills.
- Very determined tackler.
- Definitely team focused. Played a couple of roles in finals that some other guys who had played in the National champs would have resisted. That said, there were a heap of guys ahead of him in the WA group which was obviously not great this year and didn't win a game against a division 1 opponent.

I am somewhere between mildly surprised and completely shocked he has been drafted. But. If we have selected him with the thought that he could have a career similar to say - Josh Carr or even Steven Baker - then I understand it. I guess he has more athletic capability that both of those guys so might end up having a bit more impact on the attacking side of the ball.

That is about it.

Ho ho. This should be interesting. I wonder what the moral arbiters here on WOOF will say the first time Jayden clocks someone behind play?

mighty_west
21-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Ho ho. This should be interesting. I wonder what the moral arbiters here on WOOF will say the first time Jayden clocks someone behind play?

As supporters, there are 2 sets of rules, we love it if they are on our team, but want to jump the fence and knock his lights out if they deck one of ours!

I felt like doing that when Scotty Chisolm elbowed Chris Grant in the jaw at Optus right in front of all us Dogs supporters.

EasternWest
21-11-2010, 04:09 PM
As supporters, there are 2 sets of rules, we love it if they are on our team, but want to jump the fence and knock his lights out if they deck one of ours!

I felt like doing that when Scotty Chisolm elbowed Chris Grant in the jaw at Optus right in front of all us Dogs supporters.

Ha ha, so so true.

Dry Rot
21-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Or the reverse? Barry Hall decked Chris Grant off the ball right in front me at the SCG.

Of course, he's a perfect gentleman now in my eyes. :D

mjp
21-11-2010, 04:49 PM

I don't think he will do that. What I am saying is he is very aggressive and very team focussed - some of the things Carr did in Port's premiership year were heroic and I think Schofield has a bit of that in him.

Behind play? No - but he would enjoy a bit of niggle.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-11-2010, 06:16 PM
On draft night Kevin Sheahan said that Schofield was a lot like Josh Carr in his apporaoch to the game. I took that to mean that he would do jobs that noone else wanted to do and would do anything to get his team across the line.

I don't think he will do that. What I am saying is he is very aggressive and very team focussed - some of the things Carr did in Port's premiership year were heroic and I think Schofield has a bit of that in him.

Behind play? No - but he would enjoy a bit of niggle.

Sounds good to me.

We lack a killer edge, which is why we appreciate Picken so damn much. Another fierce competitior with a 'win at all costs' attitude would be more than welcomed, provided Schofield can play the game - which by all reports, he can.

Carr was a very good footballer for Port Adelaide. He went downhill extremely quickly after 2004, but he was one of their better players in their successful era.

Twodogs
22-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Or the reverse? Barry Hall decked Chris Grant off the ball right in front me at the SCG.

I was sitting right alongside you that night. Some of the things you said about Barry werent that gentlemany!

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 02:01 PM

I don't know that most of us are really so one-eyed that we can't have some measure of objectivity -- if Bazza had gone bonkers in 2010 and decked a few people I don't think we would still think of him as a 'perfect gentleman'. It's only because he pulled his head in and behaved like a perfect gentleman (and I include his light sleeper hold on North Melbourne's backline) and performed brilliantly over the year that we give him so much credit.

Aker played for us, but we always knew he was a wanker when he said the wrong thing (regardless of whether or not the media overreacted everytime he opened his mouth), even when we supported him on the field.

Chris Grant, on the other hand, goes down in history as a legend because he was a brilliant human being on and off the park. Ditto other great human beings who play for other clubs. Libba is the only Dogs player I can think of who was genuinely dirty towards the end of his career but that we overlooked, but I think more because of the uniqueness and competitiveness of his character (and size) than just because he was a dirty bastard towards other teams -- and he HAS gotten into unsavoury disputes with the club on several things, so being a genuine dickhead eventually bites you in the bum somewhere down the line. I don't think Picken or Addison fall into the dickhead category, no matter how close to the line they skate regularly with their hardness -- it's a character issue, and Liam and Dylan have it in bucketloads, whereas a genuine dickhead like Clinton Jones doesn't. I mean, people who don't support Sydney or Geelong don't hate Brett Kirk or Cameron Ling.

I hope Schofield is hard and aggressive, but develops a good character as well and becomes one of the proud ambassadors of the next generation of Bulldogs.

Dry Rot
22-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I was sitting right alongside you that night. Some of the things you said about Barry werent that gentlemany!

Yes, I wasn't happy. IIRC you said a couple of interesting things too. :D

Given that the ball was up the other end in Swans goal mouth, it has to one of the more off the ball off the ball incidents!

IIRC, was that the time Hargrave tried to do some damage with some weird scissor kick at Hall's head?

Mofra
22-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Libba is the only Dogs player I can think of who was genuinely dirty towards the end of his career but that we overlooked, but I think more because of the uniqueness and competitiveness of his character (and size) than just because he was a dirty bastard towards other teams -- and he HAS gotten into unsavoury disputes with the club on several things, so being a genuine dickhead eventually bites you in the bum somewhere down the line.
I understand your point, but that may put Jose Romero in a unique category. He was as dirty as Libba on the filed, just lacked the exposure and the Paul Kelly blow up (Wallace mentioned his fingernails were as long as Libba's IIRC). To my knowledge Romero has served the club well and hasn't had any public dramas with the current board/football management team.

It will be interesting to watch how Schofield goes off field too - Picken barely says a word by all accounts yet will do anything to win a contest (as Delideo's face will attest to) - some blokes just get a bit of white line fever (should it be renamed Kennedy fever?) yet are nice as pie off the field.

Sockeye Salmon
22-11-2010, 04:58 PM

Given that the ball was up the other end in Swans goal mouth, it has to one of the more off the ball off the ball incidents!

IIRC, was that the time Hargrave tried to do some damage with some weird scissor kick at Hall's head?

Hargrave got Hall with a "spoil" that missed the ball by about 18 inches

Twodogs
22-11-2010, 06:37 PM

I rermeber being angrier with our blokes than Hall. Not one of them flew the flag while Grant was spreadeagled on the ground. Until Shaggy took his chance.

Dry Rot
23-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I rermeber being angrier with our blokes than Hall. Not one of them flew the flag while Grant was spreadeagled on the ground. Until Shaggy took his chance.

Agree, and perhaps that persists till today which will prevent us winning a flag?

Sockeye Salmon
23-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Agree, and perhaps that persists till today which will prevent us winning a flag?

That is the most over-rated act in football. No-one pays any attention, there's 43 cameras pointed at you and everyone knows there's bugger all you can do.

Much better to let it go, bide your time and when most have forgotten, mis-time a spoil.

Dry Rot
23-11-2010, 02:56 AM

That is the most over-rated act in football. No-one pays any attention, there's 43 cameras pointed at you and everyone knows there's bugger all you can do.

Much better to let it go, bide your time and when most have forgotten, mis-time a spoil.

Sorry, but whatever the timing or the availablbitly of cameras over the years or the relevant players, I don't remember post 2004 of too many of our guys taking other players out or supporting their guys when they got dealt with.

stefoid
23-11-2010, 09:53 AM

Disagree. I think a physical remonstration has to be done to show you arent going to sit for it, especially as a signal to the guy who has been put down that he isnt out there alone.

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 02:26 PM
At the intra club on the weekend I had trouble putting names to faces on our new recruits.

Would it be fair to say that Jayden has a little bit of the Gladstone Smalls about him in the neck region?

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 02:40 PM
We have a few Gladstones at the club

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Lol yeah. I think Vez fits into that category too.

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I really like what i saw of this kid at the inter club game, he definitely has a hunch about him too. Looked exhausted every time he came of the ground, looks like desire is something he does not lack.

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Lol yeah. I think Vez fits into that category too.

Tutt certain does

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Now I'm really confused. Whas it Schofield, Tutt, or Vez that I saw:confused::confused:

Whoever it was must have been told by Rodney to pull his head in and get on with it as he didn't have much neck to talk about

divvydan
15-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Now I'm really confused. What it Schofield, Tutt, or Vez that I saw:confused::confused:

Whoever it was must have been told by Rodney to pull his head in and get on with it as he didn't have much neck to talk about

If you mean from the intraclub game, Vez is the one who handballs to Libba for a running goal after a kick out of the middle from Hudson about 50secs in. Has both thighs strapped.

Scholfield is the one who rebounds the ball after Grant has a bad bounce in the next clip. In the clip following that, he's also the player kicking the ball from deep in the back pocket to Skinner.

Following the clip showing Hall outmarking Markovic 1 on 1, Tutt is the player running at kicking at the start of the highlight in the white (I think)

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 08:55 PM
If you mean from the intraclub game, Vez is the one who handballs to Libba for a running goal after a kick out of the middle from Hudson about 50secs in. Has both thighs strapped.

Scholfield is the one who rebounds the ball after Grant has a bad bounce in the next clip. In the clip following that, he's also the player kicking the ball from deep in the back pocket to Skinner.

Following the clip showing Hall outmarking Markovic 1 on 1, Tutt is the player running at kicking at the start of the highlight in the white (I think)

Cheers, but I havent seen any footage. I was at the game and saw someone on the wing who basically had no neck and was trying to work out who it was. My best guess is Schofield

GVGjr
15-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Cheers, but I havent seen any footage. I was at the game and saw someone on the wing who basically had no neck and was trying to work out who it was. My best guess is Schofield

To me, they all look vastly different.

Tutt is the smaller of the three and kicked the ball OOB OTF a couple of times.
Schofield is fairly lean and mainly played across half back and Veszpremi is a lot stronger build.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 09:38 PM
So Tutt stole the limelight a bit on Sunday, but how did you all rate Schofield's game?
Saw him give D Pears ( spelling ?) a bit of a shove and sledge. Funny.
Somebody has a pin up of Liam Picken on their bedroom wall.

Rocco Jones
24-08-2011, 09:53 PM
So Tutt stole the limelight a bit on Sunday, but how did you all rate Schofield's game?
Saw him give D Pears ( spelling ?) a bit of a shove and sledge. Funny.

Danyle Pearce.

What I liked even more was him laughing when Pearce went back at him.

divvydan
24-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I remember that laugh, was thinking to myself "that's got to be on the back on some serious sledging from Jayden"

The good thing is that he's always committed and even if he doesn't have the polish of some others, those that work hard and committ are always worth trying to get the best out of.

Ghost Dog
24-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Does anyone think he might make a good forward or midfielder?
Where did he play his WA footy. Down back?
If so, how did he go?

Mofra
25-08-2011, 10:18 AM
He's a yappy Picken - goes about his football the same way, and has a real dose of mongrel in him which is what we need.

I imagine in years to come, he'll be a Bulldog favourite and absolutely hated by opposition fans. Another positive :)

bornadog
25-08-2011, 10:53 AM
So Tutt stole the limelight a bit on Sunday, but how did you all rate Schofield's game? .

Actually played his best game to date picking up 24 disposals. He is very cool and carm under pressure (take note DJ, Stack) and very few of his disposals are turned over. Can't wait to see how he progresses over summer and the new year.

SlimPickens
25-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Actually played his best game to date picking up 24 disposals. He is very cool and carm under pressure (take note DJ, Stack) and very few of his disposals are turned over. Can't wait to see how he progresses over summer and the new year.

Agree, his game was very solid. One of the suprises of the year for me. Look forward to a big pre-season and more game time in 2012.

Young team mates love him. Apparently a bit of a rascal out on the town as well.

Greystache
25-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Agree, his game was very solid. One of the suprises of the year for me. Look forward to a big pre-season and more game time in 2012.

Young team mates love him. Apparently a bit of a rascal out on the town as well.

Agree.

Clearly the club have the same view, re-signing him to a longer contract with one year remaining. Good sign for the kid.

the banker
25-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I thought he looked good in the pre season game v Brisbane when he came on and it was great to see him have agood game on the weekend.

Likes to get to the contest and be part of it. As he matures I can see him really imposing himself on a game. A really good prospect IMO. Attitude and poise.

1eyedog
25-08-2011, 12:19 PM

This.

He is not as frantic in his play as Billy is. He will be a small James Hird this boy.

Remi Moses
25-08-2011, 11:55 PM

Noticed that in his first game. Seems to have a little more time and is more polished than a few others.

anfo27
27-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Really liked what i have seen so far and like everyone has said has that real mongrel in him that we need plenty of. I love a kid that can come in and not be overwhelmed by the situation and just comes across as fierce competitor and reminds me abit of a young Campbell Brown.
I think we've found ourselves a player here.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Thought he was probably the most impressive out of our younger pups today. He's got all the qualities of a good footballer and has shown great improvement in the past two weeks. Definitely a nice selection here.

ledge
27-08-2011, 07:25 PM
He looks like he is calm under pressure and has time, great attributes.

EasternWest
27-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I've seen him twice this year and have been impressed with his gameness. His skills are better than I thought they would be.

mjp, if you're reading this thread, how do you see Jayden's year?

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2011, 01:33 AM
I was messing around on the HS website and came across these statistics:

Kicks 52
Handballs 31
Disposal Efficiency 82%

Obviously the last stat is very important, and a really good sign. Probably isn't noted for his skills, but he was a very clean user of the footy in his first 7 games.

The kick to handball ratio is solid, too. Tells me he will look to use the ball by foot, but also uses handball to generate run for himself and others.

His progress is going to be interesting. I think he can carve out a good AFL career.

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I was messing around on the HS website and came across these statistics:

Kicks 52
Handballs 31
Disposal Efficiency 82%

Obviously the last stat is very important, and a really good sign. Probably isn't noted for his skills, but he was a very clean user of the footy in his first 7 games.

The kick to handball ratio is solid, too. Tells me he will look to use the ball by foot, but also uses handball to generate run for himself and others.

His progress is going to be interesting. I think he can carve out a good AFL career.

Efficiency stats like that can be misleading. Schofield kicks short and safe (as you might expect from a 1st year player) almost always.

LostDoggy
22-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Great pick by our recruiting guys, will be a 200 game player

GVGjr
22-10-2011, 12:16 PM

I like his running ability and he reads the game well but I'd like to think he will become better known for his ability to play the game than for his ability to crack wise with opposition players.

bulldogtragic
22-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I like his running ability and he reads the game well but I'd like to think he will become better known for his ability to play the game than for his ability to crack wise with opposition players.
But he's so good at cracking wise with the opposition players.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Should develop over time once he plays more football.

Is his best position always going to be a HBF? A little hard to tell, but is Jayden's defensive game good enough to go with the offensive side?

Greystache
22-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Agree, looks a bargain at pick 74.

He has everything you could want, pace, competitiveness, decent disposal, and most importantly he has composure with ball in hand. He got caught a couple of times last year but to me that shows that he won't just bomb the ball under pressure, give him 50 games and he'll be able to cope with the extra pace of the game.

We just need to get as many games as possible into him quickly.

GetDimmaBack
22-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Agree, looks a bargain at pick 74.

He has everything you could want, pace, competitiveness, decent disposal, and most importantly he has composure with ball in hand. He got caught a couple of times last year but to me that shows that he won't just bomb the ball under pressure, give him 50 games and he'll be able to cope with the extra pace of the game.

We just need to get as many games as possible into him quickly.

...and he grew up a Doggies supporter.

In Perth!

Maddog37
22-10-2011, 11:02 PM
...and he grew up a Doggies supporter.

In Perth!

The kid is living the dream and doing it with a certain amount of relish!

Hope he can fill out and continue to improve as I really like his passion.

jeemak
22-10-2011, 11:44 PM
His composure stood out for me as a big plus from what I saw from him. Sure, he got caught once or twice but he never seemed rattled when he had the ball.

Will be interesting to see how fit he can get and whether he can command a spot after his second pre-season.

anfo27
23-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Seems like the type of player that macca will love to coach and get the best out of. The kid is tough, uncompromising & already in his short career he isn't intimidated by anything which shows he has alot of mental toughness. This kid will blossom under macca and a great pick up from the recruiting team, at least they got one right here.

ledge
23-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Seems like the type of player that macca will love to coach and get the best out of. The kid is tough, uncompromising & already in his short career he isn't intimidated by anything which shows he has alot of mental toughness. This kid will blossom under macca and a great pick up from the recruiting team, at least they got one right here.

Beg to differ Dalhaus and Tutt.:D

LostDoggy
24-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Beg to differ Dalhaus and Tutt.:D

Dahlhaus YES, but Tutty? One decent game against the wooden-spooners (who had just lost their previous two games by over 150 points) does not a 'good pick' make...

Remi Moses
24-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Dahlhaus YES, but Tutty? One decent game against the wooden-spooners (who had just lost their previous two games by over 150 points) does not a 'good pick' make...

Regardless of that, on exposed evidence Tutt looks a good player.
You can only go on exposed form! Yes we know it's early doors but the signs are good.

LostDoggy
24-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Regardless of that, on exposed evidence Tutt looks a good player.
You can only go on exposed form! Yes we know it's early doors but the signs are good.

Oh, no doubt the early signs are reasonable enough, but calling it a good pick is going a bit early I think... the verdict is out for me until at least another dozen games or so (at least). I think we go a bit early sometimes both ways -- in either writing a player off or calling them 200 gamers (not that I'm saying anyone has done that here) after one or two matches.

Kinda like suggestions of two first-rounders for Butcher after two and a half better than average games.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-10-2011, 01:24 AM
No doubt Tutt has a long way to go. He's showed a couple of decent signs (namely pace) but he is far from a 'sure thing' to make it.

It's absolutely vital Howard and Tutt become good players for us, though. We really can't afford any 'misses' with our batch of kids - or we'll linger down the bottom for some time to come.

Mofra
25-10-2011, 10:37 AM
He was picked on the back of showing more than a bit in the VFL, and wasn't our worst against Hawthorn.
He's being touted on more than one game, given he did enough to make the team in the first place.

LostDoggy
25-10-2011, 04:06 PM
He was picked on the back of showing more than a bit in the VFL, and wasn't our worst against Hawthorn.
He's being touted on more than one game, given he did enough to make the team in the first place.

Come on -- if w're touting players on VFL form now Addison is going to be a 200 gamer and Gilbee should have 5 years at AFL level left. Heck, Guy O'Keefe was BOG at VFL level more than a dozen times.

Mofra
26-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Come on -- if w're touting players on VFL form now Addison is going to be a 200 gamer and Gilbee should have 5 years at AFL level left. Heck, Guy O'Keefe was BOG at VFL level more than a dozen times.
So we can't differentiate between someone showing the attributes that will transfer to AFL level and those that can't? How does anyone get picked in the first place then?

Tutt deserved his shot at senior level and has played more than 1 AFL game - if you disagree, what limitations do you think are holding him back from being a AFL player?

Twodogs
26-10-2011, 02:50 PM

I hope he doesnt lose his ability to sledge the opposition. Getting your opponent to lose his focus on the ball because he's more interested in geting back at you is a good ability to have.

Michael Voss, Martin Pyke and Chris and Brad Scott were masters at sledgng. Their ability to suck the opposition in were huge parts in their sucess at playing the game. Tony Liberatore extended his career probably by two or three extra years with his sledging skill.

GVGjr
26-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I hope he doesnt lose his ability to sledge the opposition. Getting your opponent to lose his focus on the ball because he's more interested in geting back at you is a good ability to have.

Sledging is fine but there is that line you can cross and there is a significant downside to it as Sherman can testify to.
Does the youngster know that?

Michael Voss, Martin Pyke and Chris and Brad Scott were masters at sledgng. Their ability to suck the opposition in were huge parts in their sucess at playing the game. Tony Liberatore extended his career probably by two or three extra years with his sledging skill.

When I think of those guys they are all footballers first but also known for having an ability to rile an opponent with some well placed words. Let Schofield be known as a footballer before being known for having a smart mouth. At the moment it's the other way around.

DragzLS1
26-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Tutt is going to be a gun. Not scared to run with the ball and knows he's got the pace. Has a decent kick and over time and experience will make better decisions. Dalhouse, tutt and schofield along with jones And libba i have high hopes for and believe will be very very good players at afl level.

Twodogs
26-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Sledging is fine but there is that line you can cross and there is a significant downside to it as Sherman can testify to.
Does the youngster know that?

Let Schofield be known as a footballer before being known for having a smart mouth. At the moment it's the other way around.

I agree with that. I'd just hate to see the kid to lose his ability to get under the opposition's skin. We already have enough players who are too quiet on the field.

ledge
26-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Doesnt make him bad either, you can only play on the opposition your handed with.
My point though was you said ONE player I think we have more and named a couple I think will go ok.

LostDoggy
26-10-2011, 06:16 PM
So we can't differentiate between someone showing the attributes that will transfer to AFL level and those that can't? How does anyone get picked in the first place then?

Tutt deserved his shot at senior level and has played more than 1 AFL game - if you disagree, what limitations do you think are holding him back from being a AFL player?

Never disagreed with this -- I agree completely that he deserved his shot (was pushing for it myself on this forum) and has played okay in the couple of games he's had.

I'm just saying that it's far, far too early to call it one way or the other if he'll be a good AFL player or not, and that's just a fact. All we can say is that he has the potential to be one (which is how they get picked in the first place, to answer your question). Potential does not a 'good pick' make -- surely you see the difference between a good prospect and a good player.

People get precious (and rightly so) when a player is maligned prematurely after a handful of games. I think the reverse also holds. We know now with hindsight that using pick 11 on Everitt turned out to be a 'bad pick', but after his first 3 or so games, which were MUCH better than Tutty's, against better opponents, those of us going early would have called it a 'good pick', which would have been premature.

I have EVERY hope that Tutty turns out to be a 100+ gamer, and the signs are reasonable, but I'm just suggesting that deferring judgment on players until we have a bit more evidence (at AFL level) and trying to look at things objectively may help in analysing a list accurately as opposed to either overrating or underrating it -- sometimes, also, we end up maligning a player simply because we put too much expectation on them in the first place after a couple of good games.

Topdog
27-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Potential does not a 'good pick' make -- surely you see the difference between a good prospect and a good player.

It was actually a "great pick" in the initial post which makes your point even more valid. You can't anoint someone a great pick this early. I'm very excited for Tutt's career but gee surely we've seen it all before.

Mofra
27-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm just saying that it's far, far too early to call it one way or the other if he'll be a good AFL player or not, and that's just a fact. All we can say is that he has the potential to be one (which is how they get picked in the first place, to answer your question). Potential does not a 'good pick' make -- surely you see the difference between a good prospect and a good player.
I can understand your point, and it works in theory - in practice we have to judge players on potential and on what they've shown thus far.

How do we approach list management if we discount the output and potential of kids who have only played a handful of games? If a list has a number of young inside mids (eg we have Wallis and Libba establishing themselves as players) this will impact on who we target with our first round pick - all things being equal, we'd be more likely to choose a player that is not an inside mid. This is despite either player fully establishing themselves as yet (although Libba would be close).

stefoid
27-10-2011, 11:09 AM
I can understand your point, and it works in theory - in practice we have to judge players on potential and on what they've shown thus far.

How do we approach list management if we discount the output and potential of kids who have only played a handful of games? If a list has a number of young inside mids (eg we have Wallis and Libba establishing themselves as players) this will impact on who we target with our first round pick - all things being equal, we'd be more likely to choose a player that is not an inside mid. This is despite either player fully establishing themselves as yet (although Libba would be close).

Personally I have gone off the idea of specifically requiring a mix of inside/outside mids.

If someone is labelled an inside mid, its because they have pace or kicking deficiencies.
If someone is labelled an outside mid, its because they have contested ball or pressure skill deficiencies.

So sure, your team might have some pure inside or outside players, but that shouldnt be by design, its a sign you have players who are working within their deficiencies.

So yeah, we might have a few inside midfielers - cross, wallis, boyd, libba, but that doesnt mean we should actively seek a pure outside midfielder to compliment them (even though I was saying just that a couple of months ago).

If the ONLY choice is between yet another inside midfiedler and an outside mid (with the deficiencies that those labels imply), then yes, go with the outside player for balance. BUT. If there are complete players who can win the ball AND dispose under pressure by hand or foot, then definately go for those players in preference.

And Im also coming around to the idea that reliable disposal in tight and under pressure is way more useful than reliable kicking under no pressure. To be a top team these days you need guys who can dispose well under pressure, regardless of the distance. Guys who are purely outside and look a million bucks with nobody on their hammer are worth less and less these days.

Thoughts?

Mofra
27-10-2011, 01:17 PM
If someone is labelled an inside mid, its because they have pace or kicking deficiencies.
If someone is labelled an outside mid, its because they have contested ball or pressure skill deficiencies.
This probably raises another question in itself - Cooney & Griffen are often labelled as outside mids due to their pace & ball use, yet both are capable of winning their own ball.

Roles at the club are probably a little more opaque anyways - I've heard of set-ups where one mid is designated the "sweeper", another a "blocker" etc.

bornadog
27-10-2011, 02:10 PM
This probably raises another question in itself - Cooney & Griffen are often labelled as outside mids due to their pace & ball use, yet both are capable of winning their own ball.

Roles at the club are probably a little more opaque anyways - I've heard of set-ups where one mid is designated the "sweeper", another a "blocker" etc.

The most important thing at stoppages, (after getting the ball) is the ability to spread quickly, or, if you don't get it, follow your man as they will spread and take it away. This is an area we are not good at.

stefoid
27-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Grif was very outside early in his career, but has added the contested element to his game big time since then. Cooney has always been 'complete'.

Snoop's phantom draft is on big footy, and he has Taylor Adams(!) dropping to us and McKenzie dropping past us. I sincerely hope one or both of these kids are available at our pick, Adams in particular looks like a tough as guts 'complete' midfielder, although not having Cooneys burst and spring.

# 17 Western Bulldogs – Taylor Adams (Falcons / 181 / 80 / 93)
Just a lovely player is Taylor Adams and apparently has many admirers in club land. AIS kid and he is a class act because he ticks nearly every box there is. Seen him so many times in traffic and yet he always seems to evade capture and execute to advantage. His hands in close are an absolute treat and he just strikes me as a kid who will get better and better in a club development programme. Can also play out of the contest and uses the ball at an elite level by foot as well. Is a natural leader from what have been told and is a kid you would want in your football environment for sure.
AFL Comparison – Trent Cotchin or Jim Bartel
Roughie – Thought about going tall here but just couldn’t get past who is Matt Boyds replacement and with the loss of Ward Adams seems to be perfect. If not him then maybe Sam Frost or Andrew Boseley or Hayden Crozier

# 18 North Melbourne – Hayden Crozier (Eastern Ranges / 184 / 68 / 93)
People talk about draft depth and the lack of it yet at #18 we have the human highlight reel. With a wonderful array of inside mids like Bastinac, Swallow, Greenwood, Cunnington, Ziebell etc it’s time to add to the x factor pool that really only Wells and Harper sit in for mine at Kanga land (not to say others aren’t but amongst the kids its my observation). Tested terrificly well and has pace, lateral movement, leap and elite finishing. Some of his passages of play are just incredible and he reminds me very much of a young Daisy. Whilst he has been up and down this year he has shown that his best is as good as anybody’s in this draft and he could prove to be one of the best players from this pool in 7 or 8 years time. By the way ..... North are building a very good list. Get on them for top 4 finishes in 3 years!
AFL Comparison – Dale Thomas
Roughie – Thought about Brad McKenzie here. I really believe a touch of outside class is required and he is the next best i rate.

# 19 Essendon – Brad McKenzie (Sturt / 188 / 75 / 93)
Dons are in the market for classy midfielders and will feel that they got one in Heppell who should be able to push up to the middle next year. Interestingly McKenzie is very similar to him and suspect will go down the same path insomuch as starting HB and pushing into the middle in years to come. Has played more back this year but I have seen him play middle and fwd as well at SANFL level and he has a heap of potential. His hands at stoppages are as good as Pendlebury’s and in fact his foot skills aren’t far off his as well. Has great agility and seems to be a really clever footy player from what I am told....huge improvement left in him. I rate him high and ultimately dropped him in ahead of Nelson and Markworth.
AFL Comparison – Leon Cameron
Roughie – Shane Nelson or Dan Markworth