PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who is training with us, pre-season?

bulldogtragic
29-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Any names/players looking for a rookie spot?

Desipura
29-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Any names/players looking for a rookie spot?
Danny Hughes - Melb
Ed Barlow -Sydney
and forgot the last one

chef
29-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Cam Lockwood from Willi is too, or I've heard he is.

Maddog37
29-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Not keen on any of these to be honest, although can't say I know much about Lockwood.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Not keen on any of these to be honest, although can't say I know much about Lockwood.

Barlow won the 100m beep test and has been training up a storm since he arrived. just thought you might want to know.

GVGjr
29-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Barlow won the 100m beep test and has been training up a storm since he arrived. just thought you might want to know.

A quick tall defender is what we need especially since we lost Everitt, Boumann and Tiller.
Other than that we just have to rely on Markovic and Mulligan.

Maddog37
29-11-2010, 07:26 PM

I have read a swans poster somewhere say that you can expect Barlow to dominate preseason as he has done the same thing at the swans in previous seasons. He also said that it doesn't always transpire into good games of footy.

Hope he is wrong if we do take him.

Remi Moses
29-11-2010, 07:59 PM
No thanks to Barlow . I'd prefer Eddie Barlow(former South Africa great)and Danny Hughes the FB

Ovatheboarder
29-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Lockwood is lightning fast, looks good running off a half back at Willi.

Greystache
29-11-2010, 10:48 PM
A quick tall defender is what we need especially since we lost Everitt, Boumann and Tiller.
Other than that we just have to rely on Markovic and Mulligan.

The problem with Barlow is he doesn't/can't play tall, you have to forget he's 196cm & 95kg's and just think of him as a midfielder with average skills who doesn't find a lot of the ball. I think supporters and coaches alike get caught up in his athletic ability rather than what he can do on the field.

GVGjr
29-11-2010, 10:55 PM
The problem with Barlow is he doesn't/can't play tall, you have to forget he's 196cm & 95kg's and just think of him as a midfielder with average skills who doesn't find a lot of the ball. I think supporters and coaches alike get caught up in his athletic ability rather than what he can do on the field.

Then what is our fallback position to cover the tall defenders? I don't think Markovic has the pace we need and Mulligan just hasn't come on like we obviously hoped for.
It's not easy finding tall defenders who also possess good pace.

Greystache
29-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Then what is our fallback position to cover the tall defenders? I don't think Markovic has the pace we need and Mulligan just hasn't come on like we obviously hoped for.
It's not easy finding tall defenders who also possess good pace.

I agree with you on Markovic and Mulligan, both list cloggers, but IMO opinion Barlow is no better an option, he's just a tall midfielder. Best case scenario is he can develop into a Ryan Hargrave type, a rebounding defender who cannot play on anyone tall, but I don't think he will.

We need to take a punt on young kids and hope they can develop, that's what the rookie draft is for, that's what other clubs do too.

Desipura
30-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I agree with you on Markovic and Mulligan, both list cloggers, but IMO opinion Barlow is no better an option, he's just a tall midfielder. Best case scenario is he can develop into a Ryan Hargrave type, a rebounding defender who cannot play on anyone tall, but I don't think he will.

We need to take a punt on young kids and hope they can develop, that's what the rookie draft is for, that's what other clubs do too.

Whilst I agree with you on Barlow to an extent (he is similar to Cameron Wight). He has a big body who can plant himself at half back when other teams are trying to exploit us for height. He can also run all day. Im not fussed whether we rookie him or not however there are not too many tall kpps that will be able to plug n play when needed.

I disagree that the rookie draft is only for young kids, look at Barlow, Silvagni & Pods as examples. Its also there to cover a deficiency with a mature aged player.

chef
30-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Riley Heddles is also training with us.
http://www.accelerate-epp.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=113

Mofra
30-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Riley Heddles is also training with us.
http://www.accelerate-epp.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=113
Sounds like a move due to missing out on Puopolo. Are we that desperate for a BP type?
Schofield looks like he will develop into a BP/small defender.

bulldogsman
30-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a move due to missing out on Puopolo. Are we that desperate for a BP type?
Schofield looks like he will develop into a BP/small defender.

Is he a BP type though? By that profile it says he can play anywhere.
We seem to be concentrating a lot on defensive pressure this year which is not a bad thing.

Axe Man
30-11-2010, 11:47 AM

They do a 100m beep test? That sounds brutal, it's normally only over 20 metres.

Greystache
30-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Whilst I agree with you on Barlow to an extent (he is similar to Cameron Wight). He has a big body who can plant himself at half back when other teams are trying to exploit us for height. He can also run all day. Im not fussed whether we rookie him or not however there are not too many tall kpps that will be able to plug n play when needed.

I disagree that the rookie draft is only for young kids, look at Barlow, Silvagni & Pods as examples. Its also there to cover a deficiency with a mature aged player.

I didn't say it was, I was responding to a question about how we should try to develop a back up tall defender.

Desipura
30-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I didn't say it was, I was responding to a question about how we should try to develop a back up tall defender.
Yeh, fair enough. I guess the club is weighing up whether there is a young kid out there that could develop into a kpp backman vs getting a mature age player as insurance.
The kid could take a few years to develop, whereas the mature aged could come in straight away.
Potentially the kid may have more upside or he could be a flop whereas we know what we are getting with the mature aged ie Barlow.

divvydan
30-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Updated permission to train list came out today, still only lists Barlow, Hughes and Hahn, no mention of Lockwood or Heddles

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=105775

bulldogsman
30-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Updated permission to train list came out today, still only lists Barlow, Hughes and Hahn, no mention of Lockwood or Heddles

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=105775

AFL.com doesn't always update it properly, I guess because clubs don't want to release who they are interested in.

I had a friend who trained with Richmond two years ago yet wasn't on the training list along with another young fella (both got picked up). Some of the kids might only train for 2 or 3 days though.

Bulldog Revolution
30-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Barlow is a good option for us

Mulligan and Markovic IMO offer us nothing at senior level in 2011

Mantis
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM

I'm hearing his skills are actually pretty good and finding the ball might come easier in a role where he is actually given some freedom to do so.

Greystache
02-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm hearing his skills are actually pretty good and finding the ball might come easier in a role where he is actually given some freedom to do so.

Maybe at training, we haven't played a game yet.

bulldogsman
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Maybe at training, we haven't played a game yet.

He sure can make some really dumb mistakes. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the back line that's for sure. Seen him play some pretty good games as a forward though, but backed it up with some awful performances. Too much of a gap between his best and worst for mine, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Mantis
02-12-2010, 01:05 PM
He sure can make some really dumb mistakes. I wouldn't want him anywhere near the back line that's for sure. Seen him play some pretty good games as a forward though, but backed it up with some awful performances. Too much of a gap between his best and worst for mine, I'd be looking elsewhere.

Knowing what you know is he someone who could give us some cover for Hargrave, Murphy, Wood & Gilbee in the running half-back role?

I guess without a mature aged back-up our depth for this role will come from kids or from players who might he under-going a change of role (Stack, Djerrkura, etc..) which I guess throws in a number of unknowns.

bulldogsman
02-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Knowing what you know is he someone who could give us some cover for Hargrave, Murphy, Wood & Gilbee in the running half-back role?

I guess without a mature aged back-up our depth for this role will come from kids or from players who might he under-going a change of role (Stack, Djerrkura, etc..) which I guess throws in a number of unknowns.

I guess he could, but like I said I don't want him anywhere near the back line. He's not great in one on one situations, he gives away too many silly frees and his decision making at times can be ordinary. There are days when he can get it right though (confidence?), but it's not often enough.

hujsh
02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
I guess he could, but like I said I don't want him anywhere near the back line. He's not great in one on one situations, he gives away too many silly frees and his decision making at times can be ordinary. There are days when he can get it right though (confidence?), but it's not often enough.

Sounds similar to a young Hargrave

bulldogsman
02-12-2010, 04:58 PM

I can't really remember a young Hargrave that well, but from memory he was playing above his height and weight most weeks. Barlow wasn't and I don't think Hargrave was as clumsy.

EasternWest
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Sounds similar to Hargrave fullstop.

Bulldog Joe
02-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Sounds similar to Hargrave fullstop.

Sounds more like Everitt to me.

Tall, athletic, skilled but deficient one on one, and inconsistent as well.

EasternWest
02-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Sounds more like Everitt to me.

Tall, athletic, skilled but deficient one on one, and inconsistent as well.

Hmm no I'm sticking with Hargrave. Gives away too many frees and makes silly decisions. It's Hargrave.

Rocco Jones
02-12-2010, 10:40 PM
If we get him, I am converting Brennan Stack A Go-Go into The Barlowians. A group for Ed and Myles Barlow fans alike. I give offering Ed Barlow a pre-season with us four stars.

divvydan
06-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Final update of permission to train list before tomorrow's Preseason and Rookie Drafts.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=105945

Western Bulldogs - Ed Barlow (Sydney Swans), Jack Frost (Sandringham Dragons), Mitchell Hahn (Western Bulldogs), Riley Heddles (Dandenong Stingrays), Daniel Hughes (Melbourne)

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=105945

GVGjr
06-12-2010, 07:02 PM
That should read Daniel Frost not Jack.
He was at the club a couple of weeks back

chef
06-12-2010, 07:21 PM

So it's not this guy?
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=104437

But this guy
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/Football/CollingwoodVFL/VFLPlayers/tabid/11452/default.aspx

GVGjr
06-12-2010, 08:19 PM
So it's not this guy?
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=104437

But this guy
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/Football/CollingwoodVFL/VFLPlayers/tabid/11452/default.aspx

It might be correct

I was told that Daniel Frost visited the club a couple of weeks back but they might have messed up the names.

Scraggers
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM

If it is Jack Frost, can we give him the nickname "Jumping" (based loosley on the Rolling Stones song Jumping Jack Flash) rather than "Nipping" (Christmas Carol ... 'Jack Frost nipping at my door ...)