PDA

View Full Version : Pick 22 - Luke Dahlhaus

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Eastdog
05-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Bye bye Dahl. Not dissapointed to be honest. Hasn't been great the last 2 years. Was a good player but not that much now.

bornadog
05-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Think I’m pretty much immune to player movement now (it’s the new black).

Yes I know what you mean - I have become the same. Not sure how I would react if The Bont ever left.

Ghost Dog
06-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Rookie list, Premiership player and now pick 25. All good for us.

Are we going to get pick 25 for him? That's actually pretty good ad makes me feel a lot better.

Topdog
06-10-2018, 10:26 AM
Are we going to get pick 25 for him? That's actually pretty good ad makes me feel a lot better.

Yep that has officially been announced by the AFEL

Doc26
06-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Yes I know what you mean - I have become the same. Not sure how I would react if The Bont ever left.

Yes that would be a great test as it would if Jackson left, and for that matter if we had to endure Libba running around in the Essendon midfield.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2018, 01:12 PM
One gets a $2,000,000 contract. The other likely delisted. Interesting comparison in both though:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3973&pid2=3556&fid1=S&fid2=S

The bulldog tragician
06-10-2018, 04:02 PM
One gets a $2,000,000 contract. The other likely delisted. Interesting comparison in both though:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&type=A&pid1=3973&pid2=3556&fid1=S&fid2=S

Wow. With all due respect to Honey, it shows how dramatically Dahlhaus form dropped off.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Wow. With all due respect to Honey, it shows how dramatically Dahlhaus form dropped off.

Yep. Makes you wonder what exactly Geelong think they can do to get him back to form not seen for years. And why? And how they get closer to a flag with such a significant investment. Footy seems most fickle when Dahl gets a $2M deal and a guy with an arguably equal or better year is likely delisted.

Topdog
06-10-2018, 04:13 PM

Here's another comparison

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=10&pid1=3556&fid1=S&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&pid2=3556&fid2=P&fopt2=2016&type=A

GVGjr
06-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Here's another comparison

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=10&pid1=3556&fid1=S&playerStatus2=A&tid2=10&pid2=3556&fid2=P&fopt2=2016&type=A

Geez that is a substantial drop off. So many people gave him the benefit of the doubt just because he was part of a flag but he clearly didn't work hard enough this year. I wish him the best but I'm not sorry he's gone.

Twodogs
06-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Geez that is a substantial drop off. So many people gave him the benefit of the doubt just because he was part of a flag but he clearly didn't work hard enough this year. I wish him the best but I'm not sorry he's gone.

The premiership players got a year's grace as far as I was concerned. If they couldn't get their shit together after that then they didnt need to let the door hit them on the arse in the way out.

Remi Moses
06-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Big drop off in all departments.

bulldogtragic
06-10-2018, 08:12 PM

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

Eastdog
06-10-2018, 08:18 PM
We need players who are motivated :)

hujsh
06-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Or even better, motovated

Topdog
07-10-2018, 09:11 AM
The premiership players got a year's grace as far as I was concerned. If they couldn't get their shit together after that then they didnt need to let the door hit them on the arse in the way out.

Yeah i was in the same boat, really didn't care about 2017 and foolishly expected them to be able to click a switch in 2018. GVG was right in late 2016 when he was expressing concern about our list not taking things seriously/being too loose

Topdog
07-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Or even better, motovated

Maybe Luke could get a sponsorship with Motorola

Twodogs
07-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Yeah i was in the same boat, really didn't care about 2017 and foolishly expected them to be able to click a switch in 2018. GVG was right in late 2016 when he was expressing concern about our list not taking things seriously/being too loose

He was spot on.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 09:58 AM

I still don't get why so many were so accepting on giving the playing group a pass in 2017?
Momentum in terms of winning in the AFL is so critical and you can't just flick a switch and make it happen. It's very much like a cruise ship in that it takes a long time to get back to full speed once it stops.

How naive were some people in expecting the playing group to rally behind a returning and well loved Bob Murphy in 2017? It just reinforces to me that while we all think footy is a team game but left unchecked it only takes a handful of selfish self absorbed players to bring the whole club crashing down. Make no mistake, that is what happened to us and I doubt many gave two hoots about trying to give Bob Murphy a fitting send off in 2017.

For us, it's all about being honest. Assessing everyone on the playing list honestly and expecting honest answers to the question of if every player has the hunger and commitment to put in 100% for next season.

We've cleaned up some distracted players since the flag, although why it was only Stringer at the end of 2017 is baffling, but time will tell if we have done enough now.

Twodogs
07-10-2018, 10:12 AM
I still don't get why so many were so accepting on giving the playing group a pass in 2017?
Momentum in terms of winning in the AFL is so critical and you can't just flick a switch and make it happen. It's very much like a cruise ship in that it takes a long time to get back to full speed once it stops.

How naive were some people in expecting the playing group to rally behind a returning and well loved Bob Murphy in 2017? It just reinforces to me that while we all think footy is a team game but left unchecked it only takes a handful of selfish self absorbed players to bring the whole club crashing down. Make no mistake, that is what happened to us and I doubt many gave two hoots about trying to give Bob Murphy a fitting send off in 2017.

For us, it's all about being honest. Assessing everyone on the playing list honestly and expecting honest answers to the question of if every player has the hunger and commitment to put in 100% for next season.

We've cleaned up some distracted players since the flag, although why it was only Stringer at the end of 2017 is baffling, but time will tell if we have done enough now.

Contracts maybe? I'm not saying that's what it was but most of the party boys were contracted.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Contracts maybe? I'm not saying that's what it was but most of the party boys were contracted.

I've seen people moved on in other industries even though they have contracts, you just pay them out.

I still maintain that when training resumed in 2016 or at sometime during 2017 when it was evident a few of the boys were having a laugh we should have made an example out of one of them and relegated a player to Footscray for an extended period. That player would no longer be training with the senior team just Footscray. That would have sent a strong message to the team that were were serious. Instead I think we accepted it and in the end it spread further. Perhaps we didn't want to acknowledge it or deal with the media for taking that approach but silence is acceptance in my book and I think more players saw our acceptance and stopped pushing themselves to improve. I don't recall a team in recent years capitulating like we have from such a strong position.

We have lived the last two years looking for excuses without wanting to acknowledge the bleeding obvious. In 2017 we used the excuse that it was because of the late start to training then in 2018 it was injuries and an inexperienced playing list.
Our actions at the end of 2018 indicate we are more than happy to let experienced players go and we have gone a long way at addressing the issue around distracted players.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2018, 11:11 AM
I've seen people moved on in other industries even though they have contracts, you just pay them out.

I still maintain that when training resumed in 2016 or at sometime during 2017 when it was evident a few of the boys were having a laugh we should have made an example out of one of them and relegated a player to Footscray for an extended period. That player would no longer be training with the senior team just Footscray. That would have sent a strong message to the team that were were serious. Instead I think we accepted it and in the end it spread further. Perhaps we didn't want to acknowledge it or deal with the media for taking that approach but silence is acceptance in my book and I think more players saw our acceptance and stopped pushing themselves to improve. I don't recall a team in recent years capitulating like we have from such a strong position.

We have lived the last two years looking for excuses without wanting to acknowledge the bleeding obvious. In 2017 we used the excuse that it was because of the late start to training then in 2018 it was injuries and an inexperienced playing list.
Our actions at the end of 2018 indicate we are more than happy to let experienced players go and we have gone a long way at addressing the issue around distracted players.

I can't argue with that. With all that said, what are we doing to turn it around must be front and centre. Our leadership team this year was a joke. Wallis & McCrae must be in it next year and drive the standards. With the outs of the past two years one hopes that culture has gone. But that leaves a culture vacuum to be filled. If we stuff it up and the 'good old boys' run the leadership team and there's not a sufficient effort by all levels of the organisation, then this is all for nothing.

Then just for opinion, selfishly I'd prefer Wood just to concentrate of his body and footy. I think we would see more output. If Bont had the captaincy full time (hopefully he'd sign instantly) I think his output would rise. I'd like us to invest responsibility in some way (the right amount for him) into Boyd too. He was a good leader as a junior, and I think he might blossom with the faith invested in him.

We have a great opportunity with the clearing of the decks, pick 7/Wingard, West & Khamis with Lloyd to re-set things. I hope we take it.

ledge
07-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Can anyone actually tell Us who the supposed “party boys “ were, Ive heard Redpath and Clay Smith mentioned but find it hard to believe either of them were.
Dahlhaus and Biggs were two other names which are believable and I think Libber is just easily led.

DOG GOD
07-10-2018, 11:53 AM
I can't argue with that. With all that said, what are we doing to turn it around must be front and centre. Our leadership team this year was a joke. Wallis & McCrae must be in it next year and drive the standards. With the outs of the past two years one hopes that culture has gone. But that leaves a culture vacuum to be filled. If we stuff it up and the 'good old boys' run the leadership team and there's not a sufficient effort by all levels of the organisation, then this is all for nothing.

Then just for opinion, selfishly I'd prefer Wood just to concentrate of his body and footy. I think we would see more output. If Bont had the captaincy full time (hopefully he'd sign instantly) I think his output would rise. I'd like us to invest responsibility in some way (the right amount for him) into Boyd too. He was a good leader as a junior, and I think he might blossom with the faith invested in him.

We have a great opportunity with the clearing of the decks, pick 7/Wingard, West & Khamis with Lloyd to re-set things. I hope we take it.

I would really like to see Boyd to in the leadership group. I think for his confidence alone it would be a motivational move. Wallis and McCrae must be in there next year. Like you said, this years was a joke, and I for one am not a fan of the players choosing the leadership group. Surely the coaches can see the players who work hard, take responsibility etc to warrant leadership selection.

DOG GOD
07-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Can anyone actually tell Us who the supposed “party boys “ were, Ive heard Redpath and Clay Smith mentioned but find it hard to believe either of them were.
Dahlhaus and Biggs were two other names which are believable and I think Libber is just easily led.

I think they were the main 5? Could be wrong though....obviously stringer when he was there.

GVGjr
07-10-2018, 12:04 PM
I would really like to see Boyd to in the leadership group. I think for his confidence alone it would be a motivational move. Wallis and McCrae must be in there next year. Like you said, this years was a joke, and I for one am not a fan of the players choosing the leadership group. Surely the coaches can see the players who work hard, take responsibility etc to warrant leadership selection.

Our players have lost the right to select the leaders so lets just go with the likes of Wood, Trengove, Bontempelli, Wallis, Hunter, Macrae and maybe Dunkley to be developed as a leader. JJ should be there but I'm not sure he is a great fit in that role.

bulldogtragic
07-10-2018, 12:10 PM

We see this the same way. I think it's too important this year to leave the leadership group to another popularity vote. So even if it's this single season, I'd do like you say, have Bevo select it and put up blokes who lead from the front and lead by example. Getting rid of unhelpful influences is only half to job, but it's been done well enough. The next phase is crucial and any mistakes here will be amplified going ahead.

Rocket Science
07-10-2018, 02:12 PM

So would I - should he earn it - but that's sailing a bit close to Griffen being handballed the captaincy for mine.

Ironic really.

SquirrelGrip
07-10-2018, 03:09 PM
I think they were the main 5? Could be wrong though....obviously stringer when he was there.

Hunter and JJ never that far away either early on.

Rocket Science
07-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Maybe Luke could get a sponsorship with Motorola

https://preview.ibb.co/fjZMYp/get_motovated.png (https://ibb.co/cAF6zU)

Is it just me or this this off-season really starting to drag on a bit?

westdog54
07-10-2018, 03:43 PM

That inspired a Ricky Gervais-style belly laugh.

I needed that. Thanks RS you *!*!*!*!ing genius.

Greystache
17-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Are you doubting TradeGuru69?

Did anyone see Tradeguru69 outed himself as a bloke who created a Twitter handle and posted made up rumours from his desk at work to prove anyone can become a supposedly "credible source" in today's media.

He even got some of his "scoops" re-reported by AFL accredited media types, in particular Sam Maclure.

Hats off to the guru!

EasternWest
17-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Did anyone see Tradeguru69 outed himself as a bloke who created a Twitter handle and posted made up rumours from his desk at work to prove anyone can become a supposedly "credible source" in today's media.

He even got some of his "scoops" re-reported by AFL accredited media types, in particular Sam Maclure.

Hats off to the guru!

All hail the guru.

Twodogs
17-10-2018, 01:13 PM
We love you tradeguru69 and we want to be like you.

1eyedog
18-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Our players have lost the right to select the leaders so lets just go with the likes of Wood, Trengove, Bontempelli, Wallis, Hunter, Macrae and maybe Dunkley to be developed as a leader. JJ should be there but I'm not sure he is a great fit in that role.

Whatever happened to official captain, vice captain, deputy vice captain roles? The players unofficially choose their own 'leadership' group anyway.

AshMac
19-10-2018, 07:47 AM

10/10 banter