PDA

View Full Version : Sherman keen to add bite as Bulldogs look to increase options in attack

The Coon Dog
21-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Brent Diamond - The Age - 21 Jan

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/01/20/2143759/svSHERMAN-420x0.jpg
Former Brisbane Lion Justin Sherman is feeling
quite at home with the Western Bulldogs

WESTERN Bulldogs recruit Justin Sherman says he wants to be one of the alternative goalkicking options that Rodney Eade's team is chasing as it seeks to spread the attacking load this season.

Last year, the Bulldogs's predictable path to goal was through spearhead Barry Hall, who kicked 80 goals in his debut season for the Dogs. The next best was Daniel Giansiracusa with 35.

Sherman, who crossed from the Brisbane Lions during last year's trade period, will be an important asset on the half-forward line and in the midfield, particularly with the Dogs losing Brad Johnson, Nathan Eagleton and Jason Akermanis.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Sherman said the Bulldogs would be looking for sidekicks for Hall this season.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/sherman-keen-to-add-bite-as-bulldogs-look-to-increase-options-in-attack-20110120-19y1i.html)

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Damn I want this season to start already!!!

mjp
21-01-2011, 12:53 PM
How many Sherman stories are there going to be before the season starts?

It is probably just me but I am tired of hearing from him and about him - particularly when he speaks as if he is representing the player group. Like I said, probably an over-reaction but I wish he would get a few solid games under his belt before speaking to the media...he finished 2010 playing in the Queensland league for goodness sake.

w3design
21-01-2011, 05:38 PM
I like how he sounds more confident of his position in the team. Previous with the Lions he was a bit like Everitt in not sure how/where he fitted in the lineup

Ghost Dog
21-01-2011, 06:23 PM

It is probably just me but I am tired of hearing from him and about him - particularly when he speaks as if he is representing the player group. Like I said, probably an over-reaction but I wish he would get a few solid games under his belt before speaking to the media...he finished 2010 playing in the Queensland league for goodness sake.

Was that a form issue or an injury that landed him in the seconds?

chef
21-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Was that a form issue or an injury that landed him in the seconds?

He had some groin issues in the second half of the season.

AndrewP6
21-01-2011, 09:43 PM

A bit unfair on Sherman I think. He's a fairly young guy, excited to be at a new club, and looking forward to the opportunity to play in his new colours. We pride ourselves as the "Community Club", when he gets asked, is he supposed to say "No, I'd prefer to wait until May to speak to you guys"?

mjp
22-01-2011, 12:23 AM
A bit unfair on Sherman I think. He's a fairly young guy, excited to be at a new club, and looking forward to the opportunity to play in his new colours. We pride ourselves as the "Community Club", when he gets asked, is he supposed to say "No, I'd prefer to wait until May to speak to you guys"?

Yes. One article I could happily deal with but he has been quoted more than Adam Cooney...

I did say I was most likely over-reacting, but it is really bugging me. Couldn't resist taking a shot at Brisbane upon departure and again in the paper before a ball is bounced. Be quiet, get a kick then say whatever you want. I don't think he realises he actually DOES have something to prove.

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 12:45 AM
Yes. One article I could happily deal with but he has been quoted more than Adam Cooney...

I did say I was most likely over-reacting, but it is really bugging me. Couldn't resist taking a shot at Brisbane upon departure and again in the paper before a ball is bounced. Be quiet, get a kick then say whatever you want. I don't think he realises he actually DOES have something to prove.

You actually want him to say "No comment"?? He's only talking when he's asked.

mjp
22-01-2011, 05:16 PM
You actually want him to say "No comment"?? He's only talking when he's asked.

And why do you think they ask him? Because they know a 10-second question will give them a 5-minute sound bite. He shouldn't say 'No Comment', he should point them at one of the other players and let them do it.

Ghost Dog
22-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Maybe some supporters are a little wary of the media contact with players after The Aker-saga.
The fact he is from Brisbane may not help.

Sense a no-nonsense, hardness and resolve among supporters and club this season. Edging success, but know knothing can be taken for granted. Dogs supporters are growing very impatient.

Am sure the club will be keeping a tight reign on media this season.

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Maybe some supporters are a little wary of the media contact with players after The Aker-saga.

Sense a no-nonsense, hardness and resolve among supporters and club this season. Edging success, but know knothing can be taken for granted. Dogs supporters are growing very impatient.

He played in Brisbane, he's a Tassie boy according to Rocket. And on meeting him today, he's alright. :) I think far too much has been made of Sherman's comments.

LostDoggy
22-01-2011, 11:26 PM
The new recruits all sound keen. You gotta like that.

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 11:30 PM
The new recruits all sound keen. You gotta like that.

Definitely, I got round to most of them today, and they seem very enthusiastic about being here :)

Ghost Dog
23-01-2011, 12:31 AM
He played in Brisbane, he's a Tassie boy according to Rocket. And on meeting him today, he's alright. :) I think far too much has been made of Sherman's comments.

Sorry. What I meant was, the fact he is from Brissy may not help people from comparing him to Aker, like when he took a minor pot shot at his previous employer.
Casting no stones at people from Qld.

If he is from Tassie then Rocket will develop a soft spot for him no doubt. :)

AndrewP6
23-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Sorry. What I meant was, the fact he is from Brissy may not help people from comparing him to Aker, like when he took a minor pot shot at his previous employer.

Good point, people may hold that against him!

He said today that he has a good pedigree :)

LostDoggy
27-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Surely you're not implying that the media are..... sensationalising. :eek: ;) :D

(Sorry, one face couldn't quite sum it up!!)

AndrewP6
27-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Surely you're not implying that the media are..... sensationalising. :eek: ;) :D

(Sorry, one face couldn't quite sum it up!!)

Hmm, perhaps a wee bit.;)

LostDoggy
28-01-2011, 02:11 PM

I can't see an Aker-Gate happening again. It was known he was a Grade A dickhead and that something like the saga from last year would happen again. Unlikely any team will ever recruit or (once it becomes apparent) hold onto such a headcase again (Aker/Fev).

Sedat
28-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Not sure being from Tassie will endear him to Rocket, didn't exactly help Jesse Wells ;)

Twodogs
29-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I dont mind him showing his enthuiasm for the club. It's refreshing to hear a recruit talking his new club up rather than the old "Yeah, na, I'm just happy to be here and hope to find a spot in the team." type tat we usually hear.

alwaysadog
01-02-2011, 10:30 AM

I'm tired of such rehashed light weight nonsense posing as news or anything at all interesting. It comes from the absence of a media strategy for the off season.

During the season the games etc give the journos some starting points for their flights of fancy. For the off season they need kick starting by giving them some ideas to work off. Their circling of Sherman is just evidence they've got no other leads. I remember a time when other clubs used to complain that we were dominating the media between seasons, because we had a strategy and pursued it..