B: Morris, Lake, Wood
HB: Gilbee, Williams, Murphy
C: Cross, Boyd, Griffen
HF: Picken, Grant, Sherman
F: Giansiracusa, Hall, Higgins
R: Hudson, Cooney, Ward
I/C: Roughead, Djerrkura, Wallis
Sub: Veszpremi

Hill in for Lake if he doesn't come up, Vez to stay as sub.

Ghost Dog
13-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Ok
Might need more options, from a sub (height as well).
More speed - Liam Jones to sub for mine. Speed and height, bit of x factor.
Otherwise looks pretty good.
That HB has good disposal but lacks pace. No answers to that issue yet.

chef
13-02-2011, 08:53 AM
FB Gilbee Morris Wood
HB Hill Williams Murphy
C Cross Ward Griffen
HF Sherman Roughead Higgins
FF Grant Hall Giansiracusa
RR Hudson Boyd Cooney
IN Picken Jones Djerrkura
Sub Reid

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Mostly agree with Rocco apart adding Jones in at chf. Out goes djerrkura

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Wish I hadda seen yesterday's practice match, then I may have a right to say. But from what I have seen, read & heard, all the boys are putting in the effort and want to be a part of this Great Club

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 11:25 AM
B: Djerrkura ,Williams, Morris
HB: Gilbee, Wood , Sherman
HF: Grant, Jones, Murphy
F: Addison , Hall, Higgins
R: Hudson, Cooney, Picken
I/C: Minson, Giansiracusa , Ward
Sub: Hahn

I would prefer it if Brian was fully fit before slotting him back in , DJ gives us good drive from the BP , Tommy Gun will get good cover at FB by Wood , Sherman takes the place of the injured Shaggy , Indiana ( Jones ) has improved enough to get the first half then Sub with Hahn , Addison gives us a sharper defensive edge at FP . I wanted to find a place for the Howitzer but that would mean bumping Ward and I couldn't do that

The Coon Dog
13-02-2011, 11:54 AM

Remember Hahn is now a rookie, he can only play if we place a player on the Long Term Injury List.

My team:

C: Griffen, Boyd, Cross
HF: Sherman, Jones, Giansiracusa
F: Grant, Hall, Higgins
R: Hudson, Picken, Cooney
INT: Roughead, Moles, Ward
SUB: Veszpremi

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd have Moles as the sub for me. Just for the fact that people have said Vez wasn't looking the best at the Intra-Club match

Ghost Dog
13-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Remember Hahn is now a rookie, he can only play if we place a player on the Long Term Injury List.

My team:

Where is Addison at right now IYView?
He was one player who impressed in the finals series.

The Pie Man
13-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Where is Addison at right now IYView?
He was one player who held his own in the finals series.

DFA is unavailable for round 1 due to suspension I believe. You would hope he would be pushing otherwise

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 01:25 PM
FB Gilbee Morris Wood
HB Hill Williams Murphy
C Cross Ward Griffen
HF Sherman Roughead Higgins
FF Grant Hall Giansiracusa
RR Hudson Boyd Cooney
IN Picken Jones Djerrkura
Sub Addison

I think this team looks pretty good. Assuming we do not gamble on the sub by selecting an impact style player as opposed to a utility kind of player I think Addison is a great choice, capable of playing forward, back and in the middle. I was originally concerned that Jones on the bench may rob us of run but looking closer there are 10-12 players who can line up in the middle. I also like Josh Hill behind the ball.

It is nice to see a lot of agreement from Woofers on the back six as it is always good to have some stability in this combination. In terms of the concern on the pace in the defense, I don't think any of that back 6 are slow although perhaps none have the pace we lost with Harbrow.

comrade
13-02-2011, 01:41 PM

My team:

That will be pretty close, I'd imagine. If Wallis continues to tear it up over the next 4 weeks, he could easily squeeze Moles out.

I'd also have Djerrkura a nose in front of Veszpremi at this stage (for the sub spot) but much can change in the lead up to Rd 1.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 01:45 PM
DFA is unavailable for round 1 due to suspension I believe. You would hope he would be pushing otherwise

I had forgotten that....in that case I wonder if a player like Barlow might be viewed as a sub, assuming that Hargrave is listed as a long term injury and he is upgraded. Otherwise maybe a Moles or a Vezpremi to be sub.

Mofra
13-02-2011, 02:43 PM
C: Griffen, Boyd, Sherman
HF: Grant, Roughead, Giansiracusa
F: Veszpremi, Hall, Higgins
R: Hudson, Cross, Cooney
INT: Roughead, Picken, Ward
SUB: Djerkurra

Very tough to pick - Roughy to edge out Minson as he's a better forward, the FP spot could be Vez, Djerkurra, or Jones could take the sub spot if his pre-seson form warrants it. Moles as a runner wouldbe considered too.

DFA would be a good sub choice if available. Happy to let Wallis earn his spot via the VFL.

Rocco Jones
13-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Having another think about it I would probably delay Wallis' debut. Round 2 and 3 are home games against the Lions and Suns respectively and I think they would be a great way to 'ease' him into it, especially the game against the Suns who are pretty much all kids anyway.

I am not sure about Jones. Modern game keeps on getting tougher for talls who aren't guns. I definitely would find his selection more inspiring than selecting another runner though.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 05:10 PM

I would prefer it if Brian was fully fit before slotting him back in , DJ gives us good drive from the BP , Tommy Gun will get good cover at FB by Wood , Sherman takes the place of the injured Shaggy , Indiana ( Jones ) has improved enough to get the first half then Sub with Hahn , Addison gives us a sharper defensive edge at FP . I wanted to find a place for the Howitzer but that would mean bumping Ward and I couldn't do that

So if Hahn is ineligible ( how did I forget he was on the mature rookie list ) and Addison has a 1 week suspension

I/C: Minson, , Ward , Veszpremi
Sub: Roughead

So with the reshuffle I,ll Sub Minson for Roughhead at Half Time

Rocco Jones
13-02-2011, 05:16 PM
So with the reshuffle I,ll Sub Minson for Roughhead at Half Time

Hard to really tell what's the best way to go with the sub rule but I really would be using it to bring on an extra runner, especially a burst type who might otherwise struggle to run out the game.

2nd rucks will get their fair share of rests anyway, playing in spurts, which I think goes against the benefits you can get from a sub. It's a massive struggle to fit 2 ruckmen in your 22 in the modern game with all the running involved. That looks like it will be exacerbated with the new sub rule.

Also, what happens if one of the 19 other players who aren't ruckmen go down with an injury? I think 3 is well and truly asking for trouble.

Studentlib
13-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Very tough to pick - Roughy to edge out Minson as he's a better forward, the FP spot could be Vez, Djerkurra, or Jones could take the sub spot if his pre-seson form warrants it. Moles as a runner wouldbe considered too.

DFA would be a good sub choice if available. Happy to let Wallis earn his spot via the VFL.
Is Roughead starting at CHF or on bench? Leaves us with one extra spot to fill. Looks a very good team.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 05:22 PM

We don't have Jayyrd as well :(

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Hard to really tell what's the best way to go with the sub rule but I really would be using it to bring on an extra runner, especially a burst type who might otherwise struggle to run out the game.

2nd rucks will get their fair share of rests anyway, playing in spurts, which I think goes against the benefits you can get from a sub. It's a massive struggle to fit 2 ruckmen in your 22 in the modern game with all the running involved. That looks like it will be exasperated with the new sub rule.

Also, what happens if one of the 19 other players who aren't ruckmen go down with an injury? I think 3 is well and truly asking for trouble.

My reason for using Roughead as the sub is that he good enough to cover HB or HF in case of an injury, this means you don't have to change the structure too much and by rotating three ruckmen through the year we will have them much fitter by the Final's , this also means the two bench players ( one forward, one back ) will have to be flexible and adaptable , the tactics of switching play to the player off the interchange ( Collingwood ) will be replaced with more corridor play

Greystache
13-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Morris, Lake, Wood
Gilbee, Williams, Murphy
Griffen, Boyd, Cross
Sherman, Higgins
Addison, Jones
Grant, Hall
Hudson, Cooney, Ward
I/C Roughead, Giansiracusa, Picken
Sub- Moles

azabob
13-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Morris, Lake, Wood
Gilbee, Williams, Murphy
Griffen, Boyd, Cross
Sherman, Higgins
Addison, Jones
Grant, Hall
Hudson, Cooney, Ward
I/C Roughead, Giansiracusa, Picken
Sub- Moles

Addison suspended round 1.

mjp
13-02-2011, 09:49 PM
So if Hahn is ineligible ( how did I forget he was on the mature rookie list ) and Addison has a 1 week suspension

and Murphy has been playing, training, preparing to play half back....

Greystache
13-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Addison suspended round 1.

Yeah I know, it was a notional round one team, basically how I think we should line up to start the season. Lake is probably unlikely too.

Sedat
14-02-2011, 12:30 AM
That sounds like the very definition of Justin Sherman but he seems to be a lock for the starting 18. Not sure why based on his career output to date.

Ghost Dog
14-02-2011, 01:24 AM
That sounds like the very definition of Justin Sherman but he seems to be a lock for the starting 18. Not sure why based on his career output to date.

Make him earn his spot at Willy you reckon?

Sedat
14-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Make him earn his spot at Willy you reckon?
Happy to see him in our 22 (based on the supposedly strong pre-season he's had) but the attributes and deficiencies he has shown over the course of his AFL career to date would make him the idea sub IMO - if ever there was a burst player capable of making a big impact in a short space of time, but who goes missing for long periods in games, it's the Shermanator. I fully expect him to be a starting 18 selection for Round 1 (and I think that he and the Dogs will be a good fit for each other), but I'm not about to expect him to become this consistently valuable contributor overnight - I'm expecting nothing more from him than to become a younger, faster, slightly better version of the Eagle. And if he can become an expert finisher for us and profit from the work of others up the field, I'll be a very happy supporter.

BulldogBelle
14-02-2011, 05:51 AM

2nd rucks will get their fair share of rests anyway, playing in spurts, which I think goes against the benefits you can get from a sub. It's a massive struggle to fit 2 ruckmen in your 22 in the modern game with all the running involved. That looks like it will be exasperated with the new sub rule.

Did you really mean exasperated = annoyed, or exacerbated = made more severe? Or, maybe both?

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Seeing him a couple of times yesterday, does anyone get the feeling Sheminator has a case of the body working faster than the mind.

His legs work double-time when he's running and his thought process when deciding what to do with the ball. There was a link of play between him and Higgins ( i think) ruunning out of HB to the old Gent stand side. He must have tried to handball back and forward to Missy 3 times within the space of about ten meters, surrounded by other players, with Higgins body reactions seeming to say "WTF?"

Might be reading a little too much into it :)

OLD SCRAGGer
14-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Sounds like poor Justin is going to be the WHIPPING BOY for some on here & even before a ball is bounced in anger! :mad:

Mofra
14-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Is Roughead starting at CHF or on bench? Leaves us with one extra spot to fill. Looks a very good team.
My bad. I'd look to bring in another runner - Moles could be a candidate despite being hit or miss.

robb
14-02-2011, 01:28 PM
HB: Addison, Williams, Murphy
C: Cross, Boyd, Sherman,
HF:Griffen, Jones, Giansiracusa
R: Hudson, Ward, Cooney,
I/C: Roughead, Picken, Reid
Sub: Moles

Assumes all available (re Addison under suspension, Hargrave injured)

Hargrave, Minson and Gilbee the unlucky ones but changes need to be made.

Unsure of the capabilities of Hill, Stack, Djerkurra and Veszpremi at this stage.

I think depth is becoming an issue. We need a couple of the of the 2nd -3rd year playes to put their hand up.

Would be rapt if Wallis or Libba can debut this year.

Ghost Dog
14-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Ess are just the sort of team that could come out of nowhere this year. All training sessions are closed so hard to know where they are at. Quite a coaching panel.

Here is what they are saying about us. It's a fair write up.
http://www.bomberblitz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60199

Check out post #12.

Big emotional investment for Bomber fans this year!

Sedat
14-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Ess are just the sort of team that could come out of nowhere this year. All training sessions are closed so hard to know where they are at. Quite a coaching panel.

That thread needs more Ben Hudson love, otherwise a pretty fair write up from an opposition supporter view point.

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Check out post #12.

Not a bad read , its good to see the Bombers fans having enough time to wax lyrical about an opposition side , after all the hate for Hudson I want the Beard to kick the winning goal against them to shut them up

Ghost Dog
14-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Not a bad read , its good to see the Bombers fans having enough time to wax lyrical about an opposition side , after all the hate for Hudson I want the Beard to kick the winning goal against them to shut them up

Right on

Rocco Jones
14-02-2011, 09:22 PM

Interesting call. I think the sub needs to be someone who is around the 22nd spot, not sure where Sherman is at the moment. While Sherman is a burst type, I don't think that's mainly due to a lack of fitness. It's more about his speed/attributes mixed with his consistency. I think burst types who struggle with their fitness just the sub rule most.

I think Sherman is best suited to bursts on and off the bench over the whole game

Did you really mean exasperated = annoyed, or exacerbated = made more severe? Or, maybe both?

That's why I'm your biggest fan. I meant exacerbated. :)

Mantis
14-02-2011, 09:43 PM

???

I didn't read much hate, just differing opinions on Huddo's worth. An 'outsider' probably wouldn't understand that even though Huddo gets minimal possessions and doesn't dominate the hit-outs he is still a very good player and a vital cog in our team.

soupman
14-02-2011, 09:47 PM
???

I didn't read much hate, just differing opinions on Huddo's worth. An 'outsider' probably wouldn't understand that even though Huddo gets minimal possessions and doesn't dominate the hit-outs he is still a very good player and a vital cog in our team.

Likewise. i just read it as a confirmation that Hudson plays a style of footy that will always be more appreciated by that clubs supporters than outsiders. Likewise for Morris and Picken.

Sockeye Salmon
15-02-2011, 12:57 AM

Check out post #12.

Mostly fairly even handed.

There was one comment I particularily agreed with "I would hate to have Grant on our list". I would hate Grant to be on Essendon's list as well.

Ghost Dog
15-02-2011, 01:51 PM

There was one comment I particularily agreed with "I would hate to have Grant on our list". I would hate Grant to be on Essendon's list as well.

by even handed, was referring to #12. Had a chuckle at the particular post you make reference to.

bornadog
15-02-2011, 01:55 PM

"I think what's missing from the Dogs' game compared to a side like Collingwood or even St.Kilda is that desire to punish teams with ferocious tackling and pressure. Too often teams can glide through the midfield without pressure. If they can find this desire, and keep their midfield stars fit then they'll be contenders for sure. They have incredible midfield depth and talent and a good team all over, but the key will be injuries and improvement from guys that had had average years last year. I think they'll face Collingwood in the GF.

"This is what post 12 nails.

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 02:09 PM

There was one comment I particularly agreed with "I would hate to have Grant on our list". I would hate Grant to be on Essendon's list as well.

Yeah I found that somewhat perplexing but otherwise pretty impressed with the balanced views.

Ghost Dog
15-02-2011, 03:06 PM
"I think what's missing from the Dogs' game compared to a side like Collingwood or even St.Kilda is that desire to punish teams with ferocious tackling and pressure. Too often teams can glide through the midfield without pressure. If they can find this desire, and keep their midfield stars fit then they'll be contenders for sure. They have incredible midfield depth and talent and a good team all over, but the key will be injuries and improvement from guys that had had average years last year. I think they'll face Collingwood in the GF.

"This is what post 12 nails.

Well spotted。 My thoughts exctly。 We have the depth to put lesser teams to the sword by a big margin now。Forget the result and just head down, push and push for 4 quarters。

soupman
15-02-2011, 06:00 PM
by even handedm referring to #12. Had a chuckle at the particular post you make reference to.

Am I an idiot or does this make absolutely no sense?

Ghost Dog
15-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Am I an idiot or does this make absolutely no sense?

fixed

by even handed, was referring to #12. Had a chuckle at the particular post you make reference to.

Bulldog4life
15-02-2011, 07:39 PM
C: Cross, Boyd, Sherman,
HF:Griffen, Grant, Giansiracusa
F: ,Djerrkura, Hall, Higgins
R: Hudson, Ward, Cooney,
I/C: Roughead, Picken, Wallis
Sub: J.Hill

No doubt I'll change my team, like a number of others, in the next 6 or 7 weeks depending on form and injuries.

Go_Dogs
15-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Yeah, I read that post as being sarcastic. Grant destroyed the Bombers late last year with probably his best performance of the year - no doubt they're having nightmares about him that will hopefully only get worse over the coming seasons! :D

Ghost Dog
15-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I read that post as being sarcastic. Grant destroyed the Bombers late last year with probably his best performance of the year - no doubt they're having nightmares about him that will hopefully only get worse over the coming seasons! :D

Good point Griffen#16.He was a NAB rising star Duh. They don't hand those out in corflake packets.

comrade
06-03-2011, 02:31 PM
I thought I'd bump this thread with just one NAB Challenge game to come.

If we have a full squad to choose from, my team against Essendon would look like this...

B: Morris Lake Wood
HB: Murphy Williams Gilbee
C: Picken Boyd Sherman
HF: Higgins Grant Veszpremi
F: Gia Hall Djerrkura
R: Hudson Cooney Griffen
I: Roughead Cross Ward
Sub: Hill

I know most are selecting Jones but I think it's obvious we're going in with two ruckmen and having another tall who won't assist with the midfield rotations is dangerous, especially against the pacy Bombers. This year is all about run, run, run.

I think we have enough marking options in the above forward line without Jones. Vez and Higgins are great marks for their size, as is Grant and Roughead is genuinely dangerous when pushing forward. That's why I have him in front of Minson, despite Will's form being quite solid.

From what I have seen, DJ would slot nicely into a forward pocket and should be instructed to harrass and tackle and make sure his opponent has no time to clear the ball. He doesn't need to score many goals to add value down there. I just don't think he's a full time midfielder, too panicky and his disposal isn't polished - sure, throw him into the rotations to give guys like Cooney and Griffen a spell but he should be sitting in the back pocket of guys like Heath Shaw, Sam Fisher, Corey Enright most of the time.

Hill as the sub is an interesting one and hearing that he has been thrown into defense and performed well got me over the line. His skill set is perfect for the sub. He can play across the ground and with his intensity levels being his biggest knock, coming in when the heat is off may just suit him.

Moles, Addison and Stack could also be good options as the sub.

Interested to hear other's thoughts now that some form lines have been established.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
I thought I'd bump this thread with just one NAB Challenge game to come.

If we have a full squad to choose from, my team against Essendon would look like this...

B: Morris Lake Wood
HB: Murphy Williams Gilbee
C: Picken Boyd Sherman
HF: Higgins Grant Veszpremi
F: Gia Hall Djerrkura
I: Roughead Cross Ward

I know most are selecting Jones but I think it's obvious we're going in with two ruckmen and having another tall who won't assist with the midfield rotations is dangerous, especially against the pacy Bombers. This year is all about run, run, run.

I think we have enough marking options in the above forward line without Jones. Vez and Higgins are great marks for their size, as is Grant and Roughead is genuinely dangerous when pushing forward. That's why I have him in front of Minson, despite Will's form being quite solid.

From what I have seen, DJ would slot nicely into a forward pocket and should be instructed to harrass and tackle and make sure his opponent has no time to clear the ball. He doesn't need to score many goals to add value down there. I just don't think he's a full time midfielder, too panicky and his disposal isn't polished - sure, throw him into the rotations to give guys like Cooney and Griffen a spell but he should be sitting in the back pocket of guys like Heath Shaw, Sam Fisher, Corey Enright most of the time.

Hill as the sub is an interesting one and hearing that he has been thrown into defense and performed well got me over the line. His skill set is perfect for the sub. He can play across the ground and with his intensity levels being his biggest knock, coming in when the heat is off may just suit him.

Interested to hear other's thoughts now that some form lines have been established.

Looks pretty good to me. Hard to fault it for Round 1 but moving forward, I'd keep an eye on the following:

Addison is a definate 'IN" for me from Round 2 (suspended Round 1 as we know).

I have a feeling we won't be able to fit both Vez and Djek in the team as the season progresses. It's a tough choice as Vez is just so dangerous with his feet and goal sense and Djek works so hard and has been in everything. Both these guys will need to give it everything every week to stay in.

Gilbee was on the decline last year and hasn't shown much to indicate that he has arrested the situation. If he doesn't improve, I hope Eade stays true to his "smaller credits" philosophy.

Sherman is in on reputation and need. I've been a bit disappointed with his pre-season performances so far so he's on the fringe.

Moles, Jones and Hahn are playing well and will keep the guys honest.
Wallis will keep hammering the door down and I can't see Eade resisting for long.
Minson and Libba will dominate the reserves but how do we fit them in?
Hill needs to run, run and run. If he takes a breath, he'll lose his spot.
I hope Reid can stay injury free and push hard for a spot.

comrade
06-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Looks pretty good to me. Hard to fault it for Round 1 but moving forward, I'd keep an eye on the following:

Addison is a definate 'IN" for me from Round 2 (suspended Round 1 as we know).

I have a feeling we won't be able to fit both Vez and Djek in the team as the season progresses. It's a tough choice as Vez is just so dangerous with his feet and goal sense and Djek works so hard and has been in everything. Both these guys will need to give it everything every week to stay in.

Gilbee was on the decline last year and hasn't shown much to indicate that he has arrested the situation. If he doesn't improve, I hope Eade stays true to his "smaller credits" philosophy.

Sherman is in on reputation and need. I've been a bit disappointed with his pre-season performances so far so he's on the fringe.

Moles, Jones and Hahn are playing well and will keep the guys honest.
Wallis will keep hammering the door down and I can't see Eade resisting for long.
Minson and Libba will dominate the reserves but how do we fit them in?
Hill needs to run, run and run. If he takes a breath, he'll lose his spot.
I hope Reid can stay injury free and push hard for a spot.

I see Vez and DJ as two different types and believe they can play in the same team. DJ has the added ability to move into the midfield, that sort of versatility is crucial.

If Addison is a definite in, I would love to see him given an extended run as a pure defensive forward. That may mean he replaces DJ in my 22. The role Dylan played in the prelim was perfect. I want to see someone sacrifice their game EVERY week to keep that ball locked into our 50.

Gilbee was one of my last picked, but his obvious replacement (Howard) just isn't ready to step up. He stays in due to his experience and his defensive ability but I'd prefer Murphy to be the one running and kicking from the half back line.

Sherman hasn't shown his renown acceleration yet, but I don't think it's far away. He's a lock at this point and will be given every opportunity.

Jones will get his chances during the year. If Vez's form drops, Jones is next in line.

azabob
06-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Interesting choice of Sub. For me I think the sub needs to be someone who has high intensity and will assert themselves on the game physically right away. Im thinking players like Addison, Reid, Hahn, Moles etc.

My worry with Hill or a Stack being the sub is they are too hot and cold and to be expected to perform right away may be a bit much for them.

Posters who are close to the club have the coaching staff given any ideas out of who and how they think they will use the sub?

Mantis
06-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Gilbee was one of my last picked, but his obvious replacement (Howard) just isn't ready to step up. He stays in due to his experience and his defensive ability but I'd prefer Murphy to be the one running and kicking from the half back line.

With Stack playing well across HB against Freo could he be a potential replacement for Gilbee?

comrade
06-03-2011, 08:12 PM
With Stack playing well across HB against Freo could he be a potential replacement for Gilbee?

It would be fantastic if Stack could put together a string of great performances for Willy and really put some pressure on. His ability to move forward and find the goals would also be handy. Maybe he could be a sub option?

Hopefully he can continue his good work from the weekend. It would certainly prove a lot of us wrong.

What do you think about the rest of the team?

Mantis
06-03-2011, 09:14 PM
What do you think about the rest of the team?

I can't see many faults with the team you suggested, although I would love to see Jones in there. I too am worried about being top heavy, but I like what he brings to the team.

I probably see Vez and Jones fighting for the last spot in the team so I will be interested to see how each of them go in our final practice match against North.

I also have Minson infront of Roughead at this stage.

comrade
06-03-2011, 09:30 PM

I also have Minson infront of Roughead at this stage.

Big Will hasn't put a foot wrong during the pre-season so he probably is in front, however in my opinion, Roughy is a better second ruck option as he can add more value up forward and actually clunk a few. Will can provide an aerial contest but won't scare many defenders.

Mantis
06-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Big Will hasn't put a foot wrong during the pre-season so he probably is in front, however in my opinion, Roughy is a better second ruck option as he can add more value up forward and actually clunk a few. Will can provide an aerial contest but won't scare many defenders.

How many has he clunked in his time?

Agree he shows more potential as the 2nd ruck option for the reason stated... I just haven't seen him do it all that often just yet.

comrade
06-03-2011, 09:48 PM
How many has he clunked in his time?

Agree he shows more potential as the 2nd ruck option for the reason stated... I just haven't seen him do it all that often just yet.

He hasn't clunked many for the Bulldogs but he has been dangerous up forward for Williamstown during his time there. That being said, at AFL level he averaged 4 marks a game last year - not huge by any means, but it does suggest he's better in the air than Will who only averages 2.8 marks a game over his career and has never averaged higher than 3.6 a game (in 2009).

Ultimately, it's good we have 2 genuine back up ruckmen who are able to have an impact at the highest level.

w3design
06-03-2011, 11:07 PM

He was being sarcastic in response to the other poster.

Mantis
16-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I have worked my squad down to 25 for rd 1 and it's bloody hard to get the 'mix' right for our rd 1 clash.

Personally I would like us to go tall in the front half & to play 2 rucks as I think it's a strength of ours, but seeing as though rd 1 games are always very quick and we are playing Essendon who are probably the quickest team in the comp we will probably need to play a quicker, more mobile team.

From reports Saturday's clash didn't solve any of the selection dilemmas we have so I would think the MC meetings over the next week & a half would have a whole range of options being thrown up.

Definites - Grant, Murphy, Cross, Boyd, Higgins, Williams, Gia, Ward, Hudson, Griffen, Cooney, Hall, Wood, Morris, Picken - (15)

Possibles - Gilbee, Sherman (if fit he plays), Stack, Jones, Hill, Libba, Minson, Djerrkura, Barlow, Moles - (10)

If Lake is fit he will play, but at the minute it probably seems unlikely, but I guess we will know more next week.

Good luck MC.

Desipura
16-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Given Essendons pace and assuming the players are fit, here is my side

B: Morris *Lake Wood
HB: *Gilbee Williams Murphy
C: Cross Boyd *Sherman
HF: Gia Jones Grant
F: Veszpremi Hall Higgins

Int: Picken, Ward, Hill & Barlow
Sub: Stack
Emerg: Djerkurra, Moles & Libba

Barlow to pinch hit in the ruck whilst being able to use his big tank to advantage

* under injury cloud

Mantis
16-03-2011, 01:53 PM
^^^^

Desi, it's only 3 + 1 (sub) not 4 + 1.

Desipura
16-03-2011, 02:15 PM
^^^^

Desi, it's only 3 + 1 (sub) not 4 + 1.
Oops, so it is
Int: Picken, Ward & Barlow

The Doctor
16-03-2011, 02:43 PM
B: Picken, Lake, Morris

HB: Murphy, Williams, Wood

C: Ward, Cross, Griffen

HF: Giansiracusa, Jones, Higgins

F: Veszpremi, Hall, Grant

R: Hudson, Boyd, Cooney

Int: Minson, Djekurra, Liberatore

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 02:51 PM
B: Picken, Lake, Morris

HB: Murphy, Williams, Wood

C: Ward, Cross, Griffen

HF: Giansiracusa, Jones, Higgins

F: Veszpremi, Hall, Grant

R: Hudson, Boyd, Cooney

Int: Minson, Djekurra, Liberatore

No Sherman Doc?

Ozza
16-03-2011, 03:10 PM
My crack at it - For round 1 - assuming Lake does not come up.

B: Wood; Morris; Picken
HB: Murph; Williams; Gilbee
C: Cross; Boyd; Ward
HF: Higgins; Jones; Sheman
F: Grant; Hall; Gia
R: Hudson; Griffen; Cooney
Int: Minson; Djerkurra; Liberatore
Sub: Hill.

Emerg: Moles; Stack; Veszpremi

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 03:16 PM
I am intrigued by this percepton that Picken would be best suited to the last line of defence. He is the best and to this stage the only effective shut down player in the side.

To play him in the backline seems to me to be a waste of his talents.

In my view there is a much stronger case for playing him as the quick, hard-tackling goalsneak so wanting in this team now and for the last x years.

The Doctor
16-03-2011, 03:22 PM
No Sherman Doc?

If fully fit I'd probably have him in. I'd like to be convinced first.

Mantis
16-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I am intrigued by this percepton that Picken would be best suited to the last line of defence. He is the best and to this stage the only effective shut down player in the side.

In my view there is a much stronger case for playing him as the quick, hard-tackling goalsneak so wanting in this team now and for the last x years.

So what other options do we have for this role in defence?

Ozza
16-03-2011, 05:22 PM

I think its a horses-for-courses thing EJ. I agree with you that Picko is our best midfield shutdown man. But Essendon could have any or all of Jetta, Monfires, Davey, Colyer and Williams in the forward line and have gotten us for pace before.

If Lake doesn't come up for round 1 - then Morris has to play tall, which means we need an extra small. At this stage, I doubt Stack or Hill could play there, and Addison is probably too slow and has been cut up deep in defence before.

If Picken goes to a small forward - whether his opponent gets up high, or drags him deep - I'd say most Bulldogs supporters are comfortable with either scenario.

I'm certainly not suggesting Picken is in defence on a weekly basis. But I'm pretty concerned about our defence in Round 1 - and what better way to sure it up than have a bloke with terriffic defensive skills and pace down there.

bornadog
16-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I think its a horses-for-courses thing EJ. I agree with you that Picko is our best midfield shutdown man. But Essendon could have any or all of Jetta, Monfires, Davey, Colyer and Williams in the forward line and have gotten us for pace before.

If Lake doesn't come up for round 1 - then Morris has to play tall, which means we need an extra small. At this stage, I doubt Stack or Hill could play there, and Addison is probably too slow and has been cut up deep in defence before.

If Picken goes to a small forward - whether his opponent gets up high, or drags him deep - I'd say most Bulldogs supporters are comfortable with either scenario.

I'm certainly not suggesting Picken is in defence on a weekly basis. But I'm pretty concerned about our defence in Round 1 - and what better way to sure it up than have a bloke with terriffic defensive skills and pace down there.

Picken played well in defense against Brisbane a few weeks ago, and was very impressive. Addison is suspended, otherwise I would think he would be straight in.

Any thoughts about Barlow playing?

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Haven't really given it much thought, it's probably a terrible idea but what about starting Lake as a sub for round 1? assuming he plays this week for willy and gets through ok.

It's risky in a sense if we lose a player early then we have to rely on lake to be able to play out the game.

However it wouldnt hurt subbing lake in and sitting him at FF, Moving Barry out to CHF. Will allow him to get some match fitness as well as causing massive problems for the bombers defenders who are without Tayte Pears.

This may also force them to throw Hurley to the backline which would be a win for us IMO.

Just a thought.

divvydan
16-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I have worked my squad down to 25 for rd 1 and it's bloody hard to get the 'mix' right for our rd 1 clash.

Personally I would like us to go tall in the front half & to play 2 rucks as I think it's a strength of ours, but seeing as though rd 1 games are always very quick and we are playing Essendon who are probably the quickest team in the comp we will probably need to play a quicker, more mobile team.

From reports Saturday's clash didn't solve any of the selection dilemmas we have so I would think the MC meetings over the next week & a half would have a whole range of options being thrown up.

Definites - Grant, Murphy, Cross, Boyd, Higgins, Williams, Gia, Ward, Hudson, Griffen, Cooney, Hall, Wood, Morris, Picken - (15)

Possibles - Gilbee, Sherman (if fit he plays), Stack, Jones, Hill, Libba, Minson, Djerrkura, Barlow, Moles - (10)

If Lake is fit he will play, but at the minute it probably seems unlikely, but I guess we will know more next week.

Good luck MC.

I notice Vez not in your list of 25 but is in many other teams. Is he injured, not expected to play straight away, not rated by you in the best 25 or just an accidental omission?

chef
16-03-2011, 06:20 PM
FB Morris Markovic Wood
HB Hill Williams Murphy
C Cross Ward Griffen
HF Sherman Jones Higgins
FF Grant Hall Gia
RR Hudson Boyd Cooney
IN Minson Veszpremi Picken
SB Moles
EM Djerrkura Gilbee Stack

Sockeye Salmon
16-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Picken will take either Stanton or Jetta, you would think.

I'd give Moles a go in a back pocket.

mjp
16-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Haven't really given it much thought, it's probably a terrible idea but what about starting Lake as a sub for round 1? assuming he plays this week for willy and gets through ok.

"Tell me Rodney, was it frustrating as a coach to have the games best full-back welded to the bench as a sub when Essendon were kicking all those early goals"

"No comment".

bornadog
16-03-2011, 06:26 PM
My crack at it - For round 1 - assuming Lake does not come up.

B: Wood; Morris; Picken
HB: Murph; Williams; Gilbee
C: Cross; Boyd; Ward
HF: Higgins; Jones; Sheman
F: Grant; Hall; Gia
R: Hudson; Griffen; Cooney
Int: Minson; Djerkurra; Liberatore
Sub: Hill.

Emerg: Moles; Stack; Veszpremi

I use to think he was part girl when he played for Brissie:D

Mantis
16-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I notice Vez not in your list of 25 but is in many other teams. Is he injured, not expected to play straight away, not rated by you in the best 25 or just an accidental omission?

I have Higgins, Gia & Djerrkura ahead of him at present, DJ mainly because of who we are playing... I still think Vez will play a fair bit of senior footy I just don't think he will play rd 1.

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 07:46 PM

Good luck MC.

Are you ruling out Markovic as cover for Lake?

Mantis
16-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Are you ruling out Markovic as cover for Lake?

Yep.

The only way he plays is if Ess play Gumbleton which is highly unlikely.

EasternWest
16-03-2011, 08:59 PM
"Tell me Rodney, was it frustrating as a coach to have the games best full-back welded to the bench as a sub when Essendon were kicking all those early goals"

"No commentBut it was certainly pleasing when we subbed him in".

Fixed that for you.

Doc26
16-03-2011, 11:18 PM

"No comment But it was certainly pleasing when we subbed him in".

Fixed that for you.

To be technically correct, it would more likely be phrased as:

"It's an interesting one isn't it. But it was certainly pleasing when we subbed him in".

EasternWest
17-03-2011, 12:24 AM
To be technically correct, it would more likely be phrased as:

"It's an interesting one isn't it. But it was certainly pleasing when we subbed him in".

Touché.

SlimPickens
17-03-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd be very disappointed if we played Lake underdone. I've said this a few times, but considering our first three matches i would like to see Lake return after the bye in round 4 to have him fit and flying for freo and collingwood.

My rd 1 Team

Gilbee Morris Picken
Wood Williams Murphy
Cross Boyd Griffen
Grant Jones Vez
Higgins Hall Gia
Followers: Hudson Cooney Ward

Int: Sherman, Minson, Liberatore

Greystache
17-03-2011, 12:42 AM
I'd be very disappointed if we played Lake underdone. I've said this a few times, but considering our first three matches i would like to see Lake return after the bye in round 4 to have him fit and flying for freo and collingwood.

My rd 1 Team

Gilbee Morris Picken
Wood Williams Murphy
Cross Boyd Griffen
Grant Jones Vez
Higgins Hall Gia
Followers: Hudson Cooney Ward

I like the look of that team Slim, only concern is the pace and ability to apply defensive pressure in the forward line. We'd want to play Sherman, Griffen, and Cooney forward for reasonably large stints, and also have Higgins and Gia to rotate through the midfield to have the balance right.

LostDoggy
17-03-2011, 11:04 AM

You've been to a few practice matches Slim, you think he's ready yet? Or do you think they should give a player who's been on the list for a few years a chance to impress?

Mantis
17-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I like the look of that team Slim, only concern is the pace and ability to apply defensive pressure in the forward line. We'd want to play Sherman, Griffen, and Cooney forward for reasonably large stints, and also have Higgins and Gia to rotate through the midfield to have the balance right.

I think what you have stated here is a recipe for disaster and a major reason why Djerrkura needs to play.

Playing Vez, Gia & Higgins in the front half means we will be too slow in this section and while Cooney, Griffen & Sherman will help make us quicker none of these guys make chasing a real focus of their games. Also by sticking Higgins & Gia into the middle at the expense of the 'quicker' guys our midfield will become one paced as it will already contain the likes of Boyd, Cross & Ward who are hardly speedsters.

mjp
17-03-2011, 12:32 PM
I think what you have stated here is a recipe for disaster and a major reason why Djerrkura needs to play.

Any reason to think he wouldn't play Mantis?

I know a few people are leaving him out...and whilst his tendency to run in circles drives me crazy based on pre-season form I can't see any way he misses round 1 (and 2 for that matter).

We traded for him for a reason - a deficiency identified by the MC. If Sherman had been fully fit, I would completely expect him to be an in as well (though I think Vez is in a slightly different boat - more a trade of convenience).

Greystache
17-03-2011, 12:41 PM

Playing Vez, Gia & Higgins in the front half means we will be too slow in this section and while Cooney, Griffen & Sherman will help make us quicker none of these guys make chasing a real focus of their games. Also by sticking Higgins & Gia into the middle at the expense of the 'quicker' guys our midfield will become one paced as it will already contain the likes of Boyd, Cross & Ward who are hardly speedsters.

We'd need to rotate players carefully to make sure we had the balance right. Like you said, not too many slow players in one area of the ground at the same time. Based on the games I've seen I simply don't rate Djerrkura. Fair enough he'd be in the team for his tackling pressure, but I don't think he's even particularly good at that, and if he does happen to get the ball at some stage he makes Brennan Stack look at slick ball handler.

Mantis
17-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Any reason to think he wouldn't play Mantis?

I know a few people are leaving him out...and whilst his tendency to run in circles drives me crazy based on pre-season form I can't see any way he misses round 1 (and 2 for that matter).

We traded for him for a reason - a deficiency identified by the MC. If Sherman had been fully fit, I would completely expect him to be an in as well (though I think Vez is in a slightly different boat - more a trade of convenience).

The only reason would be that we are probably trying to fit 25 or 26 into 22 meaning a few have to miss out and seeing as though he is new it could be a case of trying others first.

His game style isn't great and certainly needs some work, but he has pace & endurance which are key factors in picking our 20th or 21st player to complement what is generally a pretty slow team.

We'd need to rotate players carefully to make sure we had the balance right. Like you said, not too many slow players in one area of the ground at the same time. Based on the games I've seen I simply don't rate Djerrkura. Fair enough he'd be in the team for his tackling pressure, but I don't think he's even particularly good at that, and if he does happen to get the ball at some stage he makes Brennan Stack look at slick ball handler.

I just can't see how you can play Veszpremi ahead of him based on what I have seen. Sure Vez has been impressive this pre-season, but he looks to be a similiar player to Johnno in that he is a good attacking player, but not so good defensively. With Higgins & Gia also in this vain I just don't see how we can load up just on attacking types because if the delivery is sloppy or Essendon defend well I can see our F50 being a trampoline like it was for much of last year.

Vez will definitely play games, but I just can't see him playing against Essendon... their game style just doesn't suit him.

Cyberdoggie
17-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Just throwing up another name, I thought Josh Hill was one of our bests up in ballarat.

While his packing marking still wasn't there, his forward smarts set him above most others on the day. The big difference however was the improved defensive efforts. I saw him lay several good tackles to the ground which was pleasing to see.

Whether it was a one off remains to be seen, but he played well and there is no doubt that if Josh Hill can maintain strong defensive efforts then he's an automatic selection.

Greystache
17-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I just can't see how you can play Veszpremi ahead of him based on what I have seen. Sure Vez has been impressive this pre-season, but he looks to be a similiar player to Johnno in that he is a good attacking player, but not so good defensively. With Higgins & Gia also in this vain I just don't see how we can load up just on attacking types because if the delivery is sloppy or Essendon defend well I can see our F50 being a trampoline like it was for much of last year.

Vez will definitely play games, but I just can't see him playing against Essendon... their game style just doesn't suit him.

I could take or leave Vez, I would consider Moles as well, I just would prefer Djerrkura wasn't in the team. Brad Johnson, at least until his last season or so, was perfectly capable of applying defensive pressure, it was obvious he just felt that was beneath his standing in the team. Higgins seems to be the same, although he's not quite as quick as Johnson was. If Vez is forced to make it a focus then he shouldn't be a liability.

I've been to 4 Essendon games this year, and while they've added some pace to their side, they've done it by bringing in kids which will make them susceptible to mature bodies. Their core group of senior players, eg Watson, Stanton, Monfries, Prismall, Hocking etc all lack pace. They may not be the slowest team in the comp this year but they still won't be quick. They have also made a noticeable change in their game style, there's much less of that kamikaze running in numbers forward, and a much bigger focus on zoning and applying pressure to the ball carrier.

I don't think we need to fear the rebounding qualities of Slattery, Myers, Fletcher and Hooker, it's really only Courtney Dempsey who's a dasher. What we need to be is accoutable through the midfield to stop a rebound 50 automatically becoming an inside 50, which it was all last year.

mjp
17-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Wood Morris Barlow
Moles Williams Murphy
Cross Boyd Picken
Grant Jones Giansiracusa
Higgins Hall Djekurra
Followers: Hudson Cooney Gryphon (just for you DFA)

Int: Hill, Minson, Ward
Sub: Gilbee (Can provide defensive cover as well as being a threat to kick goals vs tired legs).

Just for something different, I actually think my own team is a midfielder short - especially with an underdone Cooney. My team basically forces Hill to do a lot of work between half-back / wing to make it work - I haven't seen him this pre-season so it is a big call. Sherman would probably give more balance but he is also underdone....

I have seen a few mentions of Liberatore and unless we are convinced he can also take a turn at half-back/half-forward I just dont think he can play yet - not until Cooney is at full-speed anyway (Gia and Higgins are going to have to take their turns inside and someone needs to back fill for them).

If Lake doesn't play and Markovic doesn't play, I just think Barlow HAS to play. Not thrilled about this selection either, but we do need balance.

SlimPickens
17-03-2011, 03:31 PM
You've been to a few practice matches Slim, you think he's ready yet? Or do you think they should give a player who's been on the list for a few years a chance to impress?

For me it's horses for courses, Libba has been very good. From what i have seen of him in the intraclub, brisbane and North games, he has improved every week. To the point of being in our bests against North. I'd love to see the MC give him a run round 1.

I've been super impressed hence why i have him in my team. Not to mention a checky little side bet.

SlimPickens
17-03-2011, 03:40 PM
If Lake doesn't play and Markovic doesn't play, I just think Barlow HAS to play. Not thrilled about this selection either, but we do need balance.

Who from Essendon do you see as a match up for Barlow? I'm assuming Gumbleton won't play.

Mantis
17-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Just for something different, I actually think my own team is a midfielder short - especially with an underdone Cooney. My team basically forces Hill to do a lot of work between half-back / wing to make it work - I haven't seen him this pre-season so it is a big call. Sherman would probably give more balance but he is also underdone....

Not to much to argue with that team mjp.

First of all, the Barlow selection, is he in the team for a specific match-up? I guess not knowing how Ess will line-up makes it difficult, but if they take in a similiar team to the NAB Cup games (Hurley & ruck in forward line) does Barlow have a match-up? I would presume that Morris will take Hurley and Williams to take either Ryder or Hille, so where does that leave Barlow? I guess if either of Bellchambers (there has been talk of them taking in 3 rucks - I don't think they will) or Gumbleton play then the selection of Barlow becomes more certain. Could he even play on Cremeri?

I guess a way to solve your 'one mid short' problem would be to go in with just one ruck (meaning Minson misses out - Williams & Barlow help Huddo in the ruck) or don't play Jones. Would you be comfortable with any of these scenarios?

mjp
17-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Who from Essendon do you see as a match up for Barlow? I'm assuming Gumbleton won't play.

I have Williams taking Hurley and Morris PROBABLY taking Williams - he is most dangerous on the lead and we need a player who can cover that (meaning Morris or Wood...see below). This means that Barlow would take Ryder (when he is there) and Hille when he is there.

How have you got it? Even if Gumbleton doesn't play, we have to account for those 3 + Jetta (Moles) and Winderlich (Wood)...Essendon do not have trouble kicking goals.

SlimPickens
17-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I have Williams taking Hurley and Morris PROBABLY taking Williams - he is most dangerous on the lead and we need a player who can cover that (meaning Morris or Wood...see below). This means that Barlow would take Ryder (when he is there) and Hille when he is there.

How have you got it? Even if Gumbleton doesn't play, we have to account for those 3 + Jetta (Moles) and Winderlich (Wood)...Essendon do not have trouble kicking goals.

Firstly I'm not convinced Williams (Ess) will play. If he does i'd play Murphy on him to exploit on the rebound and i reckon Murph is quick enough to keep up with him on the lead.Williams (WB) to play on the resting Ryder/Hille and Morris on Hurley.

Picken to play on Jetta, Wood to play on either Winderlich/Davey. That leaves Gilbee, who i'm not sure about who to play on. He doesn't really have the speed to go with Winderlich/Davey, i'm thinking possibley Monfies although i don't like that match up at all. I can certainly see why you think Barlow could play as this allows Morris to play smaller which may be required.

Our defence was a real concern against North, midfield pressure is a must to stop quick entry.

Ozza
17-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Firstly I'm not convinced Williams (Ess) will play. If he does i'd play Murphy on him to exploit on the rebound and i reckon Murph is quick enough to keep up with him on the lead.Williams (WB) to play on the resting Ryder/Hille and Morris on Hurley.

Picken to play on Jetta, Wood to play on either Winderlich/Davey. That leaves Gilbee, who i'm not sure about who to play on. He doesn't really have the speed to go with Winderlich/Davey, i'm thinking possibley Monfies although i don't like that match up at all. I can certainly see why you think Barlow could play as this allows Morris to play smaller which may be required.

Our defence was a real concern against North, midfield pressure is a must to stop quick entry.

Like your thinking overall, Slimpickens.
Picken to Jetta - certainly.
Wood to Monfires I think. Monfries tends to play pretty deep.

I don't have Winderlich in the equation, because I think he is more of a Winger on the improve and will see most of his time in the middle.

LostDoggy
17-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Picken to Jetta - certainly.

I'm not so sure about this one.

I think we need to tag Stanton, even though i dont rate him that highly he is still dangerous and a ball magnet if you let him run around without an opponent.

Unless Moles can go to Stanton?

I just think Picken is perfect for Stanton, i think if Picken went to him he would concede straight away.

Greystache
17-03-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm not so sure about this one.

I think we need to tag Stanton, even though i dont rate him that highly he is still dangerous and a ball magnet if you let him run around without an opponent.

Unless Moles can go to Stanton?

I just think Picken is perfect for Stanton, i think if Picken went to him he would concede straight away.

I don't think Stanton's been tagged in his career. He's slow, his kicking skills are ordinary, and he continually confuses ambition and ability. If he's the Essendon player getting most of the ball then we should be ok.

comrade
17-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't think Stanton's been tagged in his career. He's slow, his kicking skills are ordinary, and he continually confuses ambition and ability. If he's the Essendon player getting most of the ball then we should be ok.

He carved us up when they beat us last year. You would hope that someone like Boyd or Cross show him a modicum of respect.

mjp
17-03-2011, 06:39 PM

If Williams plays, he will play deep. You want Murphy deep??

As for your point on Gilbee, I didn't have him in my side.

Greystache
17-03-2011, 06:43 PM
He carved us up when they beat us last year. You would hope that someone like Boyd or Cross show him a modicum of respect.

It'd be nice if either of those two showed some respect to anyone.

A modicum but no more, certainly not worth tagging. He's a one way runner, he got a heap of it last year because just kept turning it over time after time and then didn't chase.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2011, 08:38 PM
B: Wood, Morris, Picken
HB: Moles, Williams, Murphy
C: Cross, Boyd, Ward
HF: Grant, Jones, Giansiracusa
F: Higgins, Hall, Djerrkura
R: Hudson, Cooney, Griffen

Int: Hill, Minson, Gilbee
Sub: Libba

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We look ripe for the picking. No Lake or Hargrave in the defensive end. No Sherman and Addison, an underdone Cooney and suspect Griffen?

Picken has to take a turn playing defense, quite possibly with Hill. However, much to my own surprise, I don't see how Gilbee won't play. Without Lake, Addison and Hargrave - we don't have any other options. Moles hasn't played there, Hill hasn't much either. Gilbee is out of form but we need to roll the dice with him for this first round.

Gia/Higgins need to have big games, pushing up the ground and really getting involved in the midfield.

With our injuries, I think Libba has to play - even as a sub - to allow our midfielders to spend more time either down back or up forward. It's a real juggling act.

I think we could be in a little trouble, personally. Addison is a big out, especially when we're already without Lake/Hargrave. Sherman not being fit enough would hurt too - where's the pace going to come from?

We're going to need a clinical brand of football to win. If we allow the game to be freely run, I can see us getting spanked.

LostDoggy
17-03-2011, 09:33 PM

Stanton gets tagged.. quite a fait bit actually. Teams tag him because they know he can't handle it.

It's the reason why he got moved to the half back line by knights last year.

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2011, 10:09 PM
I'll offer some thoughts on the trade recruits:

I agree with others that it is impossible to see how Djerrkura would not play for my money - his game still needs work, but he covers a lot of ground, and has been able to generate shots on goal. I like a lot about his addition, but he has more to learn and improve, but its hard to see how he wont do that with a bit of opportunity.

Vezpremi may not play in round 1 but I've also been impressed with what I've seen, does a couple of magical things each week - a mark, a tackle break, a goal etc.

Sherman for me has been the worst of the three, and were it not for his speed and longish contract, I wouldn't have even considered picking him for round 1. Given he is injured I know he'd be highly unlikely to play. It does take different players a while to adjust but the coaching staff have got to keep working with him and senior players have got to make him part of the place. He's potentially important but I cant see what exactly hes going to do yet.

FWIW I think Gilbee has been easier to hunt in the backline this pre-season without Hargrave and Lake around. I think he has spoiled well - a very underrated aerial spoiler for mine, but not generated the free flowing attack we might have liked. I cant see him not playing, but perhaps will not have the credits in the bank he once may have.

Is Jones the right selection against the Dons?

Greystache
17-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Stanton gets tagged.. quite a fait bit actually. Teams tag him because they know he can't handle it.

It's the reason why he got moved to the half back line by knights last year.

Fair enough, I saw Essendon live 14 times last year and can't remember it happening. I'll have to take your word for it.

Maddog37
18-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Fair enough, I saw Essendon live 14 times last year and can't remember it happening. I'll have to take your word for it.

Were you being punished for something?;)

Mofra
18-03-2011, 10:28 AM
In terms of the round 1 team, is Gia a certainty to play?
He was listed as injured (ankle) after the Ballarat practice match. If he doesn't, Higgins will spend more time forward and another runner (Moles) would come in.

Greystache
18-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Were you being punished for something?;)

Haha. The girlfriend and all of her family are Essendon fanatics, I'm an AFL member, and they play a lot of Saturday nights, so I often go along. It's not all bad, I sit there pointing at all the reasons they're 60 points behind!

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Does anybody really believe Gilbee wont play round 1? We are mssing a lot of experience in Lake, Hargrave. I would have Gilbee as a certainty.

Swoop
18-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I agree with Stanton being a player we should target to shut down, he plays outside, runs the lines and drives the ball forward. He actually has quite a big running tank but lacks the mental edge to push himself through a tag which is why teams identify him as someone to shutdown.

Mantis
18-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I agree with Stanton being a player we should target to shut down, he plays outside, runs the lines and drives the ball forward. He actually has quite a big running tank but lacks the mental edge to push himself through a tag which is why teams identify him as someone to shutdown.

Ditto. Stanton is a 'cat', but if we let him run free he will torch us.

Not sure who we play on him as it seems like Picken will be used in defence, but hopefully someone will be given the job and they do it well.

The Pie Man
18-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Haha. The girlfriend and all of her family are Essendon fanatics, I'm an AFL member, and they play a lot of Saturday nights, so I often go along. It's not all bad, I sit there pointing at all the reasons they're 60 points behind!

My wife's an Essendon fan, and I have to admit taking silent delight at LeCras' 12 against them last year, which I had sweet seats for through her work. Was (silently) very funny.

mjp
18-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Does anybody really believe Gilbee wont play round 1? We are missing a lot of experience in Lake, Hargrave. I would have Gilbee as a certainty.

So if Lake plays does that mean you would think about leaving Gilbee out???

If he isn't kicking well - and he hasn't been for some time now - then I question his role in the side. His 2010 was poor and form thus far in 2011 has been the same.

I have loved watching him play and still regret his lost years stuck in the VFL when Peter Rohde was in charge, but unless something happens quickly it is going to go past him.

Bulldog Joe
18-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Sherman for me has been the worst of the three, and were it not for his speed and longish contract, I wouldn't have even considered picking him for round 1. Given he is injured I know he'd be highly unlikely to play. It does take different players a while to adjust but the coaching staff have got to keep working with him and senior players have got to make him part of the place. He's potentially important but I cant see what exactly hes going to do yet.

Just back from Willy v Box Hill practice match and Sherman was very very good. BOG clearly (and not just for Willy)

Got lots of it, broke lines, created goals and going strongly at the finish. For mine he is a lock for round 1 and will be an important addition throughout the season.

comrade
18-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Just back from Willy v Box Hill practice match and Sherman was very very good. BOG clearly (and not just for Willy)

Got lots of it, broke lines, created goals and going strongly at the finish. For mine he is a lock for round 1 and will be an important addition throughout the season.

Nice to hear. Your thoughts on our other fringe players would be appreciated.

chef
18-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Is a report on how the Dogs players went to much to ask BJ?

Please:)

Bulldog Revolution
18-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Well that is great cheers B-Joe

Bulldog Joe
18-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Is a report on how the Dogs players went to much to ask BJ?

Please:)

Have posted a report and hopefully this link will take you there.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=8982

The Doctor
18-03-2011, 09:20 PM
moved comments to another thread

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Here's my side

HF: Picken, Grant, Sherman
R: Hudson, Cooney, Ward
I/C: Roughead, Djerrkura, Wallis
Sub: Veszpremi

Hill in for Lake if he doesn't come up, Vez to stay as sub.

I like your team but would prefer to see Jones at ChF with Grant better suited to a flank.A bit risky going with both Veszpremi and Djerrkura as both still to prove themselves at this level.I am led to believe that Liberatore is in front of Wallis at this stage.

chef
19-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Have posted a report and hopefully this link will take you there.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=8982

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

LostDoggy
19-03-2011, 09:57 AM
So if Lake plays does that mean you would think about leaving Gilbee out???

If he isn't kicking well - and he hasn't been for some time now - then I question his role in the side. His 2010 was poor and form thus far in 2011 has been the same.

I have loved watching him play and still regret his lost years stuck in the VFL when Peter Rohde was in charge, but unless something happens quickly it is going to go past him.

I would be playing gilb regardless. I would give him a couple of rounds benefit of the doubt. If he doesn't deserve a place in the side by round 3 and we have a better option then drop him.

2011 season hasn't started yet, I think it's too early to make that kind of call. 2010 was a bad year for him but there may be reasons outside of footy for that.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Rd 1 side, my take:

Wood, Morris, Picken
Gilbee, Williams, Murphy
Sherman, Boyd, Cross
Ward, Grant, Giansiracusa
Higgins, Hall, Hill
Hudson, Cooney, Griffen
Minson, Djerrkura, Stack
Moles

My thinking with the bench:

Minson is ahead at the moment and gets first crack at second ruck. Essendon have a strong combination, so Will needs to work very hard running forwards to create an option/mis-match, but both he and Huddo need to be mindful of their opponents doing the same. I could see the rucks rolling the dice both ways, which may suit them slightly more on forward talent but we need to make them worry about us too.

Djerrkura because he adds pace and can rotate forward and through the middle. We'll be rotating heavily I imagine so Gia/Ward/Higgo will all spend time in the middle, which DJ can do too.

Stack gets my nod for third bench spot, with my thought being that he could play in the back half on one of Essendon's numerous small forwards. To me he's probably the best bet to fill this running defender role in the short-term and has shown some signs over the pre-season of it all 'clicking'. Hill could also rotate back at times. This would allow Picken to spend some time playing through the middle (or even forwards where I don't mind him for spells) which I think we need.

Moles on the bench as he gives speed and fresh legs, whilst being able to run through the middle, perhaps play a tagging role, and also run off half back or get dangerous around the goals. We know he'll bust his gut and will want to put his best foot forward, so this week he'd be my sub player.

I want Sherman starting on a wing, and really using his pace to create holes in the Bombers defence running hard forward carrying the ball or to create an option to receive in space before taking off.

Contrary to some others I think Gilbee is a definite starter in this one however he needs to start finding his better form as by mid season once Hargrave and Lake are back, as well as a couple of others perhaps pressing for selection in the back half (Stack, Addison, Howard? Schofield?) their could be serious competition for small defender spots.

Dazza
19-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Sherman was quite good yesterday. Probably did enough to get a gig in round 1.

the banker
19-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Wood, Morris, Picken
Gilbee, Williams, Murphy
Sherman, Boyd, Cross
Higgins, Hall, Hill
Hudson, Cooney, Griffen
Minson, Djerrkura, Stack
Moles

Like this side Griffen#16.

stefoid
19-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Stack? Really? Whats changed? I havent seen any preseason stuff)

Bumper Bulldogs
19-03-2011, 10:17 PM
OK my side looks as per the below:

FB: Morris, Markovic, Wood
HB: Sherman, Williams, Murphy
C: Picken, Cross, Ward
HF: Griffen Grant, Djerrkura
FF: Giansiracusa, Hall, Higgins
R: Hudson, Cooney, Boyd
I/C: Moles, Veszpremi, Liberatore
Sub: Minson

I cant see Gilbee getting a run as his preseason form has been ordinary and we will need all the pace we have for the Bombers. Minson for me as the sub as he can play Ruck, FF and will be needed against the height of the Bombers late in the game.

Should be interesting with the likes of Lake, Reid, Addison, Stack, Roughy, Wallis, Hargrave, Hooper & Skinner all pushing for a spot in the senior side.

Please do not rush Lake back as we need him on song for the finals and I see no need to rush him back for round one.

Bumper Bulldogs
19-03-2011, 10:25 PM
I would be playing gilb regardless. I would give him a couple of rounds benefit of the doubt. If he doesn't deserve a place in the side by round 3 and we have a better option then drop him.

This sound like the Bulldogs I know......We just keep playing guys on credits not form, don't get me wrong I love him in full flight but just haven't seen that for a while.

In the backline I would have Wood, Morris, Sherman and Murphy which leaves Gilbs out. The trial last year playing him forward didn't work as he cant convert from a set shot. I also have Higgins, DJ, Gia, Griff, Vespa, Moles, Libba and Ward all ahead of him at the moment as all these guys can also play forward or Mid.

Mantis
19-03-2011, 10:36 PM
In the backline I would have Wood, Morris, Sherman and Murphy which leaves Gilbs out. The trial last year playing him forward didn't work as he cant convert from a set shot. I also have Higgins, DJ, Gia, Griff, Vespa, Moles, Libba and Ward all ahead of him at the moment as all these guys can also play forward or Mid.

Really??... Not going to happen.

P.S. Either is Minson as a sub

anfo27
20-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Wood, Morris, Picken
Gilbee, Williams, Murphy
Sherman, Boyd, Cross
Higgins, Hall, Hill
Hudson, Cooney, Griffen
Minson, Djerrkura, StackMoles

Like this side Griffen#16.

Under no circumstances would I have that name anywhere near our best 22. Yeah he can run but the guy refuses to tackle and put his head over the ball, how on earth could he play on someone in the back half with those traits.

AndrewP6
20-03-2011, 01:12 AM
If Stack gets a guernsey Rd 1, we're in strife.

Rocco Jones
20-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Defenders- Williams, Morris, Wood, Gilbee, Barlow, Murphy
Midfield- Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Boyd, Ward
Forwards- Hall, Grant, Sherman, Giansiracusa, Higgins, Picken
Bench- Hill, Djekkura, Minson
Sub- Moles

Barlow as an indirect replacement for Lake. Barlow gives us cover to play Morris and/or Wood 'taller'.

LostDoggy
20-03-2011, 02:42 AM
Defenders- Williams, Morris, Wood, Gilbee, Barlow, Murphy
Midfield- Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Boyd, Ward
Forwards- Hall, Grant, Sherman, Giansiracusa, Higgins, Picken
Bench- Hill, Djekkura, Minson
Sub- Moles

Barlow as an indirect replacement for Lake. Barlow gives us cover to play Morris and/or Wood 'taller'.

I thought he was a Rookie?

Greystache
20-03-2011, 02:47 AM
I thought he was a Rookie?

Hargrave's been put on the LTI

Go_Dogs
20-03-2011, 03:01 AM
If Stack gets a guernsey Rd 1, we're in strife.

I'm personally not convinced that is the case.

Whilst he may not be Gilbee-circa 2006 his pre-season form has been reasonable and he's the best ready made option we have IMO.

He's probably shown flashes at best thus far in his short AFL career, but he has played a few games now, surely has a good grasp of what's required and given he's got another year on the list for mine he's the bloke we persist with at this stage.

He wouldn't be an automatic selection in my best 21+1 every week, but given our injuries and our opponent Rd 1, he's it for me.

LostDoggy
20-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Hargrave's been put on the LTI

Ok cheers mate

AndrewP6
20-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Whilst he may not be Gilbee-circa 2006 his pre-season form has been reasonable and he's the best ready made option we have IMO.

He's probably shown flashes at best thus far in his short AFL career, but he has played a few games now, surely has a good grasp of what's required and given he's got another year on the list for mine he's the bloke we persist with at this stage.

He wouldn't be an automatic selection in my best 21+1 every week, but given our injuries and our opponent Rd 1, he's it for me.

Fair enough, I haven't really seen much of him this preseason - I guess I'm judging him based on previous games.

anfo27
20-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Unless this bloke has had a heart transplant during the off season then i would expect to see the same Stack that i have seen since his arrival. My opinion only and i'll be on my own here but if i made a 22 of the worst players in the comp he would be one of the first picked.

BulldogBelle
21-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Unless this bloke has had a heart transplant during the off season then i would expect to see the same Stack that i have seen since his arrival. My opinion only and i'll be on my own here but if i made a 22 of the worst players in the comp he would be one of the first picked.

I'd agree with that. You can only imagine that the people who picked him must be his close relatives.

LostDoggy
21-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Wood Morris Addison
Gilbee Williams Murphy
Ward Boyd Sherman
Picken Jones Higgins
Grant Hall Giansiracusa

Hudson Griffen Cooney

Int: Cross Hill Minson
Sub: Wallis

Lakey to be given a few more weeks to get back into it.

Mantis
21-03-2011, 08:32 AM
I'd agree with that. You can only imagine that the people who picked him must be his close relatives.

You weren't impressed with his performance in Bunbury?

I had heard good reports from people who attended, especially to do with an improved hardness at the contest, what was your take?

Mofra
21-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I had heard good reports from people who attended, especially to do with an improved hardness at the contest, what was your take?
Stack reportedly trains very well and has performed well for Willy in bursts too, but apart from one game with 4 goals he hasn;t turned that into AFL from.

I get the feeling if he wasn't under contract he wouldn't even be on our list, and he does have the odd fumble which could prove costly close to opposition goal.

Mofra
21-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Wood Morris Addison

Dylan is suspended for round 1.
It's a shame, because he strikes me as an excellent sub player.

Dry Rot
21-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Picken Jones Higgins

I said it last year - IMO Picken is a good defensive forward who knows where the goals are.

Bulldog Revolution
21-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I said it last year - IMO Picken is a good defensive forward who knows where the goals are.

In a lot of respects Picken can probably play anywhere

However, his value is in playing on very good players, nullifying them, whilst also providing some drive himself

I've got a feeling Picken will take his game to even higher levels in 2011

Cyberdoggie
21-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I think Stack scored over 100 Dreamteam points in that game in Bunbury, i'm pretty sure he would of never had anywhere near that in any game he has played for Willy so far.

Which is why i guess his name has been brought up recently. He obviously has talent but just doesn't perform well or consistently.

Personally i think he's a fumbler and too slow under pressure, but how much of that is just a lack of confidence i don't know.

Ghost Dog
21-03-2011, 06:20 PM
In a lot of respects Picken can probably play anywhere

However, his value is in playing on very good players, nullifying them, whilst also providing some drive himself

I've got a feeling Picken will take his game to even higher levels in 2011

Chomping at the bit for the season to start is Liam.
Nearly took a few of our own out in the practice matches by all accounts!

The Bulldogs Bite
21-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed if Stack played, and I certainly haven't been a fan of his to date.

However - we simply don't have options. Stack has shown flashes, and although he has question marks hanging over his head, he's a better option than Howard and possibly Markovic (Yes I know they play different positions/roles).

It's his last chance, and considering we're playing a few 'lesser' sides in the opening rounds, it'll give us an indication as to whether or not he's worth persisting with. If he's getting beaten by hacks, then obviously he isn't going to change his form against quality opposition.

Just offering another point of view.

LostDoggy
21-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Chomping at the bit for the season to start is Liam.
Nearly took a few of our own out in the practice matches by all accounts!

Haha, that gave me a giggle. Seriously, Picken is just massive value and I think he can fill a role in most positions in the correct situations, as in a nullifying role where he can also hurt his opponent.

I had hope for Stack but I just dont see it happening, I guess the first time I see a guy shy away from a contest I lose faith. I hope to be proved wrong but I cannot see him as a first team regular, we have other options.

LostDoggy
21-03-2011, 09:00 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/109582/default.aspx

Starting to think Lake as the sub or the player to be subbed as a real serious option. What better way to ease him in and he leaves a big hole in our defense. On the flip side it would be good to try a Markovich or a Barlow.

Also good to read that the only player on our list to not play a warm up is Hargrave.

BulldogBelle
24-03-2011, 01:34 AM
You weren't impressed with his performance in Bunbury?

I thought that Stack was prominent in the first half and showed a bit of pace. He seemed to be trying hard to get to the contests, that was a change from previous impressions that I had of him. I wouldn't put him amongst the best, I'd just say that his form was better than I expected. I expected nothing but I did get something.

I thought that Jones and Skinner were our stand-outs. Jones seemed to win all of the pack marks, in contrast to the previous week when he seemed not to win any.