PDA

View Full Version : Rocket on MMM aftert 4pm

BulldogBelle
28-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Rocket on MMM after 4 for anyone interested.

chef
28-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Report please:)

BulldogBelle
01-03-2011, 07:56 AM
l missed some but here some info from MMM web sight.

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/blog/rodney-eade-says-western-bulldogs-need-more-avenues-to-goal-than-barry-hall/20110228-bjql.html

Rodney Eade Says Western Bulldogs Need More Avenues To Goal Than Barry Hall

Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has told Triple M’s Rush Hour that more avenues to goal and a host of new recruits could be the difference between the club falling at the preliminary final stage again and finally reaching its first grand final in 50 years this season.

Eade conceded that his team was too Barry Hall-reliant in 2010 with the spearhead scoring a whopping 26 percent of the Bulldogs’ score.

And it’s little surprise given the fact that Hall, who booted a career-best 80 goals last year, had the ball kicked to him an astonishing 250 times when his team-mates went inside 50.

“I think last year a lot of our injuries early in the year were either to our young kids or to some forwards ... As a by-product of that we went to Barry too often,” Eade told Triple M’s Rush Hour on Monday.

“And I think when they (key forwards) are obviously imposing figures, and we had the problem in Sydney as well with Plugger (Tony Lockett), (it’s hard to ignore them) but they lead to the right spots.”

The Bulldogs’ search for a variety of genuine goalkicking options could be aided by the off-season recruitments of Justin Sherman, Patrick Veszpremi and Nathan Djerrkura who Eade also hopes will give his team a decent injection of pace this year.

“We thought we weren’t as quick as we needed to be (heading into this season),” Eade said.

But Eade said the Bulldogs would also need to at least match reigning premier Collingwood in the pressure stakes if they are any chance of playing off in the 2011 Grand Final after reaching a club record three consecutive preliminary finals in the last three years.

“I think the pressure in the competition has gone up and obviously Collingwood taking it to a new level last year, so we need to improve that,” he told Triple M’s Rush Hour.

always right
01-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Perhaps a major reqason as to why Liam Jones is a good chance to play round one, despite the fact his form so far has been relatively modest.

When players look up and see their forwards under pressure, theyu invariably go to the tall targets. We simply need at least two at all times otherwise barry can continue to expect to get the majority of attacks coming his way.

Mantis
01-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Perhaps a major reqason as to why Liam Jones is a good chance to play round one, despite the fact his form so far has been relatively modest.

When players look up and see their forwards under pressure, theyu invariably go to the tall targets. We simply need at least two at all times otherwise barry can continue to expect to get the majority of attacks coming his way.

And most of the bigger defenders going 3rd man up and barrelling into him.

Hopefully if the oppositions defenders want to peel off Grant or Jones to help out Barry's opponent they will be punished.

LostDoggy
01-03-2011, 09:34 AM

Yet I still don't understand why our guys didn't look for those loose men that Bazza provided by taking on 2 or 3 opponents.

Oh yeah. They were all down the Backline with the rest of the team :rolleyes:

Be buggered if I know why we can't leave at least 1 (that is Numero Uno) player inside the forward 50.
Seemed to work for us in the years pre Bazz
Also open those eyes and look for those better options, again years pre Bazz

BulldogBelle
01-03-2011, 08:46 PM
The coaching staff have to create forward strategies, such as ...
Here I'll just make some up:-
1. Having a small forward accompany Barry on his runs.
2. Having two leading forwards who lead to different areas.
3. Driving the ball to the flanks then squaring up.
4. Placing B Hall to the forward left or right side of of the 50 arc on bounce-downs.

I haven't noticed any forward strategies by our coach. Eade whinges that we are too Barry Hall reliant but doesn't put any strategies in place to fix it. Its as bad as our kick out from full back strategies, they also seem to suffer from lack of any sort of planning.

Greystache
01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
And most of the bigger defenders going 3rd man up and barrelling into him.

Hopefully if the oppositions defenders want to peel off Grant or Jones to help out Barry's opponent they will be punished.

The problem is it's more often than not extra defenders dropping back inside defensive 50, so rather than having free targets to hit up, we just kick to outnumbered forwards. It been a strategy we've been very poor at overcoming versus strong opposition for a few years. Even more frustrating is the loose players further up the ground don't make use of their numerical superiority to pressure the ball carrier into turn overs.

azabob
01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
4. Placing B Hall to the forward left or right side of of the 50 arc on bounce-downs.

I haven't noticed any forward strategies by our coach. Eade whinges that we are too Barry Hall reliant but doesn't put any strategies in place to fix it. Its as bad as our kick out from full back strategies, they also seem to suffer from lack of any sort of planning.

This could be another thread entirely. This caused me no amount of frustration last season. When Gilbee was on song it was a real strength of ours.

Hotdog60
01-03-2011, 09:26 PM
[/B]

This could be another thread entirely. This caused me no amount of frustration last season. When Gilbee was on song it was a real strength of ours.

Yes, we used to known for a team that would score more from an opposition behind than other clubs.

the banker
01-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Kick out a major challenge. Brisbane played an intense zone for the kick out v successfully last weekend - even though we belted them in all other areas. We seemed forced to take some very high risk startegies to try and clear the defensive 50, resorting to the play on or short kick followed by a long bomb. The resulting OB or pack ball up seemed to be a satisfactory result. This is a problem for all teams I think.

Mantis
01-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Its as bad as our kick out from full back strategies, they also seem to suffer from lack of any sort of planning.

What would you like to us to do?

Please keep in mind that all teams now set up their zone such that every player is in one half of the ground.

From where I sit I don't see a heap of space for us to work in, perhaps from where you sit you see something different.

always right
01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Yes, we used to known for a team that would score more from an opposition behind than other clubs.

Pretty sure we still are....or do you have stats to the contrary?

always right
01-03-2011, 10:40 PM

Please keep in mind that all teams now set up their zone such that every player is in one half of the ground.

From where I sit I don't see a heap of space for us to work in, perhaps from where you sit you see something different.

Wouldn't it be great if every other team utilised the same tactic Geelong used against us several years ago when they let Gilbee run down the ground unchallenged due to instructions not to let their opponent free for a handball over the top?:D

Hotdog60
01-03-2011, 10:46 PM
Pretty sure we still are....or do you have stats to the contrary?

No stats, just my impressions that we don't do it as often as we used to. This could be to the defensive zones that are now used or our pin point passing has dropped off a bit.

Do others think that sometimes we look to the flanks too much and there is sometimes a option down the middle. Bear in mind I only get to watch footy on the TV and as such only get the small picture.

Go_Dogs
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM

Quick, long ball movement with players running hard forward onto it? Going to be interesting to see how it all goes this year as I expect the intensity of opposition zones will again increase from the kick in.

Ghost Dog
02-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, if Shaw and O'Brien are going to persist in blocking the man on the mark from behind while the player with the ball takes off, then why can't we? one way to get a few extra meters.

Swoop
02-03-2011, 01:15 PM

There's no doubt that defensive zones from kickouts have developed dramatically over the past few years with teams placing a greater emphasis on this area of the game. As a byproduct I think all teams have had to adapt to these changes however Champion Data stats still show that we were ranked 1st for scores from kick-outs in 2010 despite the increased level of pressure that all sides had to deal with. To be ranked number 1 shows that tactically we have successfully been able to stay ahead of the pack in this area despite the increased attention.

As for our forward line, we have been the 2nd highest scoring side over the last 3 years which shows that our forward strategies have been working and as Eade mentioned in the interview will continue to develop. I'm not sure what you were expecting from our practice matches to date but considering Hall has only featured in the Brisbane game, where the forward line functioned quite well, I find it very hard to criticise at this stage.

soupman
02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
There's no doubt that defensive zones from kickouts have developed dramatically over the past few years with teams placing a greater emphasis on this area of the game. As a byproduct I think all teams have had to adapt to these changes however Champion Data stats still show that we were ranked 1st for scores from kick-outs in 2010 despite the increased level of pressure that all sides had to deal with. To be ranked number 1 shows that tactically we have successfully been able to stay ahead of the pack in this area despite the increased attention.As for our forward line, we have been the 2nd highest scoring side over the last 3 years which shows that our forward strategies have been working and as Eade mentioned in the interview will continue to develop. I'm not sure what you were expecting from our practice matches to date but considering Hall has only featured in the Brisbane game, where the forward line functioned quite well, I find it very hard to criticise at this stage.

I think a lot of this has to do with how we always take advantage of the not having to wait for the flags rule. We have had an advantage in that the blokes who take the kickouts (Harbrow, Gilbee, Hargrave, Lake, Morris) are all very reliable kicks and can get the ball to approx 60m out quickly. It's when we're stagnant that the new zones have an impact.

mjp
02-03-2011, 03:22 PM
[/B]

You guys know we led the league in both scores from kickouts AND kickout differential (scores vs scores against) in 2010 right?

Happy to talk forward lines forever and a day, but our kickouts have been very good considering the 18 man zones we have been fighting through.

....Apologies to Swoop who already posted comments along similar lines. Stopped reading and started typing after the second comment about kick-ins.

bornadog
02-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Is this another one of your joke posts:confused:. Do you really think we have no strategies for the forward line or the kick outs from the backline. If thats is what you think then you know less about footy than my rabbit.

Why have we been the number one team for kicking goals from a kick in ie goal to goal, since the Eade period?

Why have we been in the top three for kicking goals in Eades period?

Get your facts right before you bag the coach.

Just saw Swoops and MJP's posts sorry to repeat.

comrade
02-03-2011, 05:57 PM
I think Mr. Cuming should sit this one out.

Sockeye Salmon
02-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I think Mr. Cuming should sit this one out.

Mr Cumming should sit all of them out

ledge
02-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Mr Cumming should sit all of them out

Oh I dont know, he is great for bringing out facts from others.

JohnGentStand
02-03-2011, 08:32 PM
cmon guys , it's just opinions, they arent illegal yet,...if we want a slanging match big woofty is where to go..

ledge
02-03-2011, 08:39 PM
cmon guys , it's just opinions, they arent illegal yet,...if we want a slanging match big woofty is where to go..

I agree completely.

comrade
02-03-2011, 09:04 PM

Opinions are fine but it helps when they're backed by facts. If you get it wrong, be prepared to get called on it.

That's what WOOF is all about.

LostDoggy
02-03-2011, 10:38 PM
No stats, just my impressions that we don't do it as often as we used to. This could be to the defensive zones that are now used or our pin point passing has dropped off a bit.

Do others think that sometimes we look to the flanks too much and there is sometimes a option down the middle. Bear in mind I only get to watch footy on the TV and as such only get the small picture.

Facts...According to Champion Data;
Punishing - The Bulldogs rank 2nd for total turnovers gained, but 71% of these came in the back half and 37% inside defensive 50, both the 3rd highest of any club. This suggests that the Bulldogs were setting up their defence close to opposition goal in 2010. The Bulldogs also conceded the most turnovers of any club, but restricted their opposition to the 3rd lowest scoring conversion rate in the comp. Launched 22% of is scores from the defensive 50 - the 2nd highest in the comp in 2010. The Bulldogs were the equal hardest team to goal against once the opposition went inside 50.

LostDoggy
03-03-2011, 12:10 AM
You guys know we led the league in both scores from kickouts AND kickout differential (scores vs scores against) in 2010 right?

Happy to talk forward lines forever and a day, but our kickouts have been very good considering the 18 man zones we have been fighting through.

....Apologies to Swoop who already posted comments along similar lines. Stopped reading and started typing after the second comment about kick-ins.

I would never have thought that. I honestly thought we struggled to kick the ball out last year.

Just points out how hard it is to kick the ball out these days compared to 3 or 4 years ago

Murphy'sLore
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I would never have thought that. I honestly thought we struggled to kick the ball out last year.

Just points out how hard it is to kick the ball out these days compared to 3 or 4 years ago

So we're struggling; it's just that everyone else is struggling even more?

Swoop
03-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Not sure the best place to post this but I saw an interview on Fox Sports last night featuring Rocket where he mentioned sometimes looking at stats in isolation can be a dangerous thing, the journalist (Julian De Stoop?) asked Eade about being ranked number 1 for turnovers and likewise being in the bottom half for tackles made.

Eade went on to explain that our game style will mean we are never at the top end of the turnover chart due to the way the players are encouraged to play the game, meanwhile some opposition sides may chip it 20 metres sideways back and forth which would increase the sides kicking efficiency despite the fact they haven't made any ground whatsoever, so that stat alone can be misleading.

He also went onto explain that our tackle count is lower due to our game style but if analysed in comparasion with our opposition in the same game we usually measure up quite well, sides such as Sydney who play high stoppage count will mean their tackle counts are always higher overall, again the stat in isolation can be misleading.

I thought both points were quite interesting and highlighted that some facts in isolation can paint the wrong picture and it's always important to take into account other factors which may compromise that stat alone.

bornadog
03-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Not sure the best place to post this but I saw an interview on Fox Sports last night featuring Rocket where he mentioned sometimes looking at stats in isolation can be a dangerous thing, the journalist (Julian De Stoop?) asked Eade about being ranked number 1 for turnovers and likewise being in the bottom half for tackles made.

Eade went on to explain that our game style will mean we are never at the top end of the turnover chart due to the way the players are encouraged to play the game, meanwhile some opposition sides may chip it 20 metres sideways back and forth which would increase the sides kicking efficiency despite the fact they haven't made any ground whatsoever, so that stat alone can be misleading.

He also went onto explain that our tackle count is lower due to our game style but if analysed in comparasion with our opposition in the same game we usually measure up quite well, sides such as Sydney who play high stoppage count will mean their tackle counts are always higher overall, again the stat in isolation can be misleading.

I thought both points were quite interesting and highlighted that some facts in isolation can paint the wrong picture and it's always important to take into account other factors which may compromise that stat alone.

I posted last year that our tackle count is only on average down 3 per quarter compared to Collingwood and I was shot down. Yes Stats can be misleading.