PDA

View Full Version : Dogs v Freo in Bunbury

Dry Rot
02-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Looks like Freo is fielding a strong team

FREMANTLE ruckman Aaron Sandilands expects to return for his side's NAB Challenge clash with the Western Bulldogs this Saturday as coach Mark Harvey starts assembling his best line-up ahead of round one.

Sandilands, who has played one shortened 40-minute match this pre-season, was rested for Fremantle's trip to Adelaide last Saturday along with key midfielder David Mundy.

Stephen Hill, Hayden Ballantyne, Luke McPharlin and Adam McPhee also missed the 74-point loss, while captain Matthew Pavlich spent the first half on the bench.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108631/default.aspx

Cyberdoggie
02-03-2011, 02:04 PM

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108631/default.aspx

Perhaps they are desperate for a win?
Haven't had a good pre-season results wise so far.

Pedro Sanchez
02-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Anyone over in WA planning on going?

I saw that tickets were advertised in advance - would have thought this would have been a walk up game. Almost the type where you can bring an esky and drive the car in...

Anyone with experience at Hands Oval intel appreciated in advance...

Scraggers
02-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Anyone over in WA planning on going?

I saw that tickets were advertised in advance - would have thought this would have been a walk up game. Almost the type where you can bring an esky and drive the car in...

Anyone with experience at Hands Oval intel appreciated in advance...

All members of both clubs get in for free (unless they want to pre-order a seat through Ticketmaster ... where you would pay a booking fee, I assume)

Hands Memorial reserve is the main footy oval in Bunbury and is used as the 'MCG' for the South West Footy League. It's not a bad oval, the Retravision Warriors played a one-dayer against Tassie earlier this year I think.

Some WAFL matches have also been played there. Only has the one real grandstand, so it can be affected by weather (particularly afternoon gales).

I will be making the trek (120+ kms one way) ... its a treat for me to see the Dogs 'live' three times in a year, let alone three times in 10 weeks.

Pedro Sanchez
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM
All members of both clubs get in for free (unless they want to pre-order a seat through Ticketmaster ... where you would pay a booking fee, I assume)

Hands Memorial reserve is the main footy oval in Bunbury and is used as the 'MCG' for the South West Footy League. It's not a bad oval, the Retravision Warriors played a one-dayer against Tassie earlier this year I think.

Some WAFL matches have also been played there. Only has the one real grandstand, so it can be affected by weather (particularly afternoon gales).

I will be making the trek (120+ kms one way) ... its a treat for me to see the Dogs 'live' three times in a year, let alone three times in 10 weeks.

thanks for the info mate...

So from reading there is only one grandstand, plenty of room around the fence and outer?

Scraggers
02-03-2011, 08:29 PM

So from reading there is only one grandstand, plenty of room around the fence and outer?

Most definitely ... think big country oval (or most WAFL ovals)

LostDoggy
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Looking forward to the first hand reports! ;)

cambo
02-03-2011, 10:12 PM

See ya there Scraggers this will be the first time I only have to travel 15 mins to see the boys play. I live in Australind near Bunbury

i have been asked by the club to help out on the day, they maybe looking for more helpers as they are only bringing over a skeleton support crew, let me know if you are interested incase they ask tomorrow.
Gets you into rooms before during and after game
Cheers Ian

cambo
02-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Heaps of room around the oval, big grassed banks etc, remember its going to be hot and you are not allowed to take any of your own drinks into the ground.

bulldogsfight
03-03-2011, 02:08 PM
and we are unbeaten there having beaten South Fremante by 9 points in a exhibition game in 1953 .
the dogs also played Sth Freo at Subiaco earlier on that trip amd lost.

I have the Footy Records from both these games,

always looking to add to my collection

mjp
03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been involved in two WAFL games played at Hands Oval.

- It is massive.
- It has a turf wicket area.
- Facilities are nice enough I suppose but pretty rudimentary. Change rooms etc are typical country club stuff.
- Nice bar/presentation area for people wanting a beer.

I wonder what exactly is going on with the turf wicket? I wouldn't have thought it was totally great for footy with that in the middle of it. Last time I was there was July/August 2009 and the entire centre square was a muddy quagmire...given it hasn't rained here for a long, long time I dont think that would be a problem but could imagine it would be rock hard.

Another comment-long weekend in WA this weekend, Bunbury is the main town in the south west tourist zone and a big music festival is on. Don't be surprised if the crowd for this game is bigger than expected given there will be quite a few people looking for something to do on Saturday afternoon.

Mofra
03-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Good to have some quality opposition after a half-strength Brisbane last week.

Mantis
03-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Good to have some quality opposition after a half-strength Brisbane last week.

But we will be half strength.

(Report in todays paper is that we will be leaving 12 senior players home and taking all the kids/ fringe players.)

Mantis
03-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Squads:

FREMANTLE
1. Hayden Ballantyne, 4. Jayden Pitt, 6. Greg Broughton, 7. Nathan Fyfe, 8. Nick Suban, 9. Adam McPhee, 10. Rhys Palmer, 12. Jon Griffin, 13. Tendai Mzungu, 15. Ryan Crowley, 20. Viv Michie, 22. Jack Anthony, 23. Chris Mayne, 25. Josh Mellington, 26. Kepler Bradley, 27. Justin Bollenhagen, 28. Peter Faulks, 30. Zac Clarke, 31. Aaron Sandilands, 34. Nick Lower, 36. Alex Silvagni, 37. Michael Johnson, 38. Michael Walters, 39. Casey Sibosado, 44. Jesse Crichton, 45. Hamish Shepherd, 46. Clancee Pearce

WESTERN BULLDOGS
2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Daniel Cross, 8. Mitch Hahn, 11. Sam Reid, 14. Callan Ward, 15. Ben Hudson, 18. Brennan Stack, 19. Liam Jones, 20. Josh Hill, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Dylan Addison, 23. Jordan Roughead, 24. Jayden Schofield, 26. Zephaniah Skinner, 27. Will Minson, 30. Christian Howard, 31. James Mulligan, 32. Patrick Veszpremi, 33. Nathan Djerrkura, 34. Jason Tutt, 37. Lukas Markovic, 39. Jason Johannisen, 41. Andrew Hooper, 43. Ed Barlow, 44. Brodie Moles, 48. Matthew Panos

---

Lots of changes to last weeks team.

LostDoggy
03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Squads:

FREMANTLE
1. Hayden Ballantyne, 4. Jayden Pitt, 6. Greg Broughton, 7. Nathan Fyfe, 8. Nick Suban, 9. Adam McPhee, 10. Rhys Palmer, 12. Jon Griffin, 13. Tendai Mzungu, 15. Ryan Crowley, 20. Viv Michie, 22. Jack Anthony, 23. Chris Mayne, 25. Josh Mellington, 26. Kepler Bradley, 27. Justin Bollenhagen, 28. Peter Faulks, 30. Zac Clarke, 31. Aaron Sandilands, 34. Nick Lower, 36. Alex Silvagni, 37. Michael Johnson, 38. Michael Walters, 39. Casey Sibosado, 44. Jesse Crichton, 45. Hamish Shepherd, 46. Clancee Pearce

WESTERN BULLDOGS
2. Robert Murphy, 3. Mitch Wallis, 4. Daniel Cross, 8. Mitch Hahn, 11. Sam Reid, 14. Callan Ward, 15. Ben Hudson, 18. Brennan Stack, 19. Liam Jones, 20. Josh Hill, 21. Tom Liberatore, 22. Dylan Addison, 23. Jordan Roughead, 24. Jayden Schofield, 26. Zephaniah Skinner, 27. Will Minson, 30. Christian Howard, 31. James Mulligan, 32. Patrick Veszpremi, 33. Nathan Djerrkura, 34. Jason Tutt, 37. Lukas Markovic, 39. Jason Johannisen, 41. Andrew Hooper, 43. Ed Barlow, 44. Brodie Moles, 48. Matthew Panos

---

With my rose coloured glasses on, it still looks like a pretty good team. I suppose the result will prove if it is my glasses or not !

Ghost Dog
03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
With my rose coloured glasses on, it still looks like a pretty good team. I suppose the result will prove if it is my glasses or not !

Looks like a good list to me. Hope someone has a vid camera handy there.

Desipura
03-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Squads:

FREMANTLE

WESTERN BULLDOGS

---

No Delhaus, would have liked to see him get a chance.

jazzadogs
03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Still no Pavlich for the Dockers...

divvydan
03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Surprused that Hudson has been named, would seem like the perfect week to take off and let Roughead and Minson share the ruck, with Barlow, Skinner, Markovic, Mulligan all capable of short term pinch hitting if needed.

LostDoggy
03-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Surprused that Hudson has been named, would seem like the perfect week to take off and let Roughead and Minson share the ruck, with Barlow, Skinner, Markovic, Mulligan all capable of short term pinch hitting if needed.

Agreed

Sockeye Salmon
03-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Looks like a good list to me. Hope someone has a vid camera handy there.

Hardly missing anyone; other than Grant, Boyd, Higgins, Gilbee, Sherman, Williams, Giansiracusa, Griffen, Cooney, Hargrave, Hall, Wood, Lake, Morris & Picken.

Doc26
03-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Squads:

WESTERN BULLDOGS

---

Pleased to see Sam Reid return. Hear's hoping he can now have an uninterrupted run of it.

soupman
03-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Looks like we might line up something like this:

FF. 8. Mitch Hahn, 48. Matthew Panos, 23. Jordan Roughead
HF. 26. Zephaniah Skinner, 19. Liam Jones, 32. Patrick Veszpremi
C. 33. Nathan Djerrkura, 4. Daniel Cross, 43. Ed Barlow
HB. 2. Robert Murphy, 31. James Mulligan, 30. Christian Howard
FB. 22. Dylan Addison, 37. Lukas Markovic, 18. Brennan Stack
Ru. 15. Ben Hudson, 14. Callan Ward, 44. Brodie Moles

Int. 3. Mitch Wallis, 11. Sam Reid, 20. Josh Hill, 21. Tom Liberatore, 24. Jayden Schofield, 27. Will Minson, 34. Jason Tutt, 39. Jason Johannissen, 41. Andrew Hooper

Not really sure what's going on with key defenders. Unless they throw Jones back all they have is Markovic, Mulligan and Barlow, and Barlow has apparently been training as a tagger. Mitch Hahn maybe?

And three rucks is weird. Is the suad still going to be cut more? If not maybe Minson or Roughead comes on for Hudson at half time as a sub.

LostDoggy
03-03-2011, 06:05 PM

- It is massive.

In WA terms?, as the ones I've seen (east, south and subi) are huge.

Mantis
03-03-2011, 06:09 PM
And three rucks is weird. Is the suad still going to be cut more? If not maybe Minson or Roughead comes on for Hudson at half time as a sub.

One to be cut.

I have been told that all 3 rucks will be playing. Huddo in the ruck as he needs a run and Will & Roughy sharing the rest of the ruck duties and playing up forward.

The Adelaide Connection
03-03-2011, 07:15 PM

- It is massive.
- Facilities are nice enough I suppose but pretty rudimentary. Change rooms etc are typical country club stuff.

I wonder what exactly is going on with the turf wicket? I wouldn't have thought it was totally great for footy with that in the middle of it. Last time I was there was July/August 2009 and the entire centre square was a muddy quagmire...given it hasn't rained here for a long, long time I dont think that would be a problem but could imagine it would be rock hard.
Another comment-long weekend in WA this weekend, Bunbury is the main town in the south west tourist zone and a big music festival is on. Don't be surprised if the crowd for this game is bigger than expected given there will be quite a few people looking for something to do on Saturday afternoon.

I would be very suprised if that is the case, the clubs would probably refuse to play there if there if there is effectively a slab of concrete in the middle of the field. They don't even let clubs play on pitches with wickets in my soccer league, doubt the AFL would allow it.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-03-2011, 08:22 PM
No Delhaus, would have liked to see him get a chance.

I'm quite surprised that Johannisen is getting a game before Dahlhaus. (sp?)

Personally, I thought Johannisen was a long way off it.

Mantis
03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm quite surprised that Johannisen is getting a game before Dahlhaus. (sp?)

Personally, I thought Johannisen was a long way off it.

Maybe the WA factor was used in deciding between these 2.

cambo
03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

- It is massive.

Turf area is excellent, Wa played Tassie 3 weeks ago in a 1 day cricket match, I have been driving past this week and the ground looks in excellent condition all over

Ghost Dog
03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
So how do Bulldogs fans in WA rate Freo this season. Will the go up or down you reckon?

cambo
03-03-2011, 11:56 PM
So how do Bulldogs fans in WA rate Freo this season. Will the go up or down you reckon?

Have heaps of potential to go upwards, all the kids will have a year travelling under there belt, it is the hardest thing for a WA club to travel every 2 weeks really takes it out of you, its proven that they struggle playing over east because of all the travel
But saying all that I think we will be just above them

Scraggers
04-03-2011, 01:28 AM

Whilst I think they will have a better year, particularly with the younger players having a season behind them, I don't see them improving on fifth. Their passage to goal is still very one dimensional (through Pavlich's hands) and until they modify their game plan, fifth it is.

It was interesting to see that Wallace thinks their premiership window is closing quickly ... I disagree. I think theirs is just opening; a tweak of their game plan and some more match fitness in their younger brigade will see them as a force in two years.

mjp
04-03-2011, 12:31 PM

They have a few issues.

Morabito is OUT.
Barlow and Ballantyne wont play for a few weeks.
Anthony is what we all thought he was.
Mundy and Hill have hardly trained.
Fyfe has hardly trained.
The backup ruck is a mess (Bradley, Griffen (sorry about spelling) and Clarke).
Key backs are a real worry - McPharlin good...not much beyond that with Tarrant's departure. Maybe Johnson has to play CHB or Faulkes is immediately elevated and plays (though I am hearing Silvagni is ahead of him).

Another interesting crop of mature agers (Mzungu, Faulkes etc) so they might fill gaps quickly but who knows...start of season could be difficult for them.

Cyberdoggie
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
They have a few issues.

Morabito is OUT.
Barlow and Ballantyne wont play for a few weeks.
Anthony is what we all thought he was.
Mundy and Hill have hardly trained.
Fyfe has hardly trained.
The backup ruck is a mess (Bradley, Griffen (sorry about spelling) and Clarke).
Key backs are a real worry - McPharlin good...not much beyond that with Tarrant's departure. Maybe Johnson has to play CHB or Faulkes is immediately elevated and plays (though I am hearing Silvagni is ahead of him).

Another interesting crop of mature agers (Mzungu, Faulkes etc) so they might fill gaps quickly but who knows...start of season could be difficult for them.

I can't see Barlow having much of an impact this year either. We saw what happened to Nathan "Judas" Brown when he had a similar injury, he was never really the same and suffered from that injury for the rest of his career.

mjp
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
I can't see Barlow having much of an impact this year either. We saw what happened to Nathan "Judas" Brown when he had a similar injury, he was never really the same and suffered from that injury for the rest of his career.

Michael Voss recovered OK though.

I think Barlow will be fine. The Freo medical staff are notoriously slow/conservative with injury management and they will be making sure he crawls before he walks.

Ghost Dog
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Have heaps of potential to go upwards, all the kids will have a year travelling under there belt, it is the hardest thing for a WA club to travel every 2 weeks really takes it out of you, its proven that they struggle playing over east because of all the travel
But saying all that I think we will be just above them

Something Victorian clubs don't really appreciate I guess.
Must be a sore point with clubs over there.
Thanks for the lowdown MJP, scraggers, cambo
I actually don't mind Freo.

Anthony is what we thought he was....chuckled at that.

comrade
05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
When does this start, Vic time?

jazzadogs
05-03-2011, 04:05 PM
When does this start, Vic time?
I read 5.30, not 100% sure that was Victorian time though.

divvydan
05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Game starts at 3:30pm local time which would mean 6:30pm here

http://www.afl.com.au/nab%20challenge/tabid/17072/default.aspx

The Coon Dog
05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Djerrkura out, Skinner in.

w3design
05-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Hope Skinner plays well- he is from regional WA originally isn't he?

chef
05-03-2011, 07:41 PM
14-1 Freos way in the first. Dockers are kicking with a strong breeze(4-5 goals according to some Freo guys at the game).

chef
05-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Now 37-3

chef
05-03-2011, 08:11 PM
From Freo's BF board

5.7 freo
0.3 wb
Lower, Mzungu Crowley, Anthony, Broughton going well.
Zachary doing some good stuff as a wingman.
Set up been more normal.
For WB Zeph Skinner has been impressive and Ed Barlow needs to be shot after shutting his pants and ducking his head to almost set us up for a goal.
Suban also impressive.
Breeze probably 4 goals to wb end

We just got the first goal of the second quarter

chef
05-03-2011, 08:16 PM
37 freo 32 bullies

Here we come

Doggy
05-03-2011, 08:19 PM
37 Freo 32 Dogs

LostDoggy
05-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Stack looking ok across halfback

chef
05-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Hahn goals. Wb 40-freo 37.

LostDoggy
05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Jones a dam good mark to

chef
05-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Liam Jones goal. Wb 53 freo 43

The Coon Dog
05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Half Time:

Freo: 6.7.43

Dogs: 7.11.53

ledge
05-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Straighten our kicking or is it the wind or just wide shots at goal?

w3design
05-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Skinner kicked a pretty nice goal apparently. I definitely felt some movement down in trouser land when I read that.

G-Mo77
05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
From Bulldogs Facebook page

Half Time: Dogs 7.11.53 Freo 6.7.43
Skinner 2, Howard, Hahn, Veszpremi, Jone, J Hill goals
Stack off half back rebounding well. Jonesy looking good.
Tackiling much better, wind dies down a bit

Daughter of the West
05-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Facebook update from a couple of minutes ago:

Western Bulldogs
‎15 min mark of last qtr, 3 consecutive goals to Tutt, Skinner & Hooper.
10.13.73 to 9.13.67, we're up Go Dogs!

Mantis
05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
12pts up, 8 min to go.

Mantis
05-03-2011, 10:02 PM
31 up now.... Skinner has 4.

OLD SCRAGGer
05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Hope we can get to see some footage...not to shabby considering we had 12 out :D

Remi Moses
05-03-2011, 10:09 PM

that's a great sign . To have so many out and to win easily can only be a positive

Mofra
05-03-2011, 10:09 PM
*Movement*

Kids doing well by the sound of it.

Dry Rot
05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
From Freo's BF board

5.7 freo
0.3 wb
Lower, Mzungu Crowley, Anthony, Broughton going well.
Zachary doing some good stuff as a wingman.
Set up been more normal.
For WB Zeph Skinner has been impressive and Ed Barlow needs to be shot after shutting his pants and ducking his head to almost set us up for a goal.
Suban also impressive.
Breeze probably 4 goals to wb end

We just got the first goal of the second quarter

So we had a ten goal turnaround in the end?

Doc26
05-03-2011, 10:14 PM
that's a great sign . To have so many out and to win easily can only be a positive

Remi. Also shows a great belief in the kids to turn around a big quarter time deficit.
Hopefully we've come away unscathed.

LostDoggy
05-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Well done boys.

jazzadogs
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Can't wait to hear some reports from the guys that were there. Skinner and Stack sound like they had good games judging by Facebook.
As has been said, very good sign that we could win a game so easily with so many players out. Could just be saying a bit about Freo though...

LostDoggy
05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
Geez would love to know who Zephi *movement* played on? carved em up.

w3design
05-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Good to see our young kids can go get a win.

LostDoggy
05-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Foxsports has this
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/western-bulldogs-ease-past-fremantle-dockers-by-30-points-in-pre-season-match-in-bunbury/story-e6frf33l-1226016438233

The photo is Stack not Skinner

The Coon Dog
05-03-2011, 11:34 PM
SCOREBOARD

W BULLDOGS

GOALS: Z Skinner 4; J Hill 2; C Howard, P Veszpremi, M Hahn, L Jones, J Tutt, A Hooper, J Mulligan, W Minson.

BEST: D Cross, Z Skinner, B Stack, M Hahn, C Howard, J Hill, J Tutt.

FREMANTLE
9.14 .68

GOALS: R Crowley 3; R Palmer 2; A Sandilands, A McPhee, K Bradley, M Johnson.

BEST: R Palmer, A Sandilands, A Silvagni, T Mzungu, K Bradley, N Lower, N Fyfe.

UMPIRES: D Margetts, J Dalgleish, S Stewart.
CROWD: 5500 (approx) at Hands Oval, Bunbury.

Hotdog60
05-03-2011, 11:38 PM
The tactic must have been to flood against the wind and limit the damage, no score in the third quarter.

Mofra
05-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Zephi & Howard in the bests, pleasing

Mantis
05-03-2011, 11:58 PM
The tactic must have been to flood against the wind and limit the damage, no score in the third quarter.

Hill was very good as the spare man in the 3rd qtr. They got 2 late goals in the 3rd qtr from holding the ball decisions which took a bit of the gloss off a very good qtr.

Ran over them in the last qtr... Good signs for our fitness.

Heard Stack was very good, played across half back, beat his opponents, ran hard with the ball and used it well. Was tough in the contest too.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Hill was very good as the spare man in the 3rd qtr. They got 2 late goals in the 3rd qtr from holding the ball decisions which took a bit of the gloss off a very good qtr.

Ran over them in the last qtr... Good signs for our fitness.

Heard Stack was very good, played across half back, beat his opponents, ran hard with the ball and used it well. Was tough in the contest too.

Good to hear.

Both Hill and Stack have the natural talent to be good players at AFL level, but for similar reasons, have been on the outer for a while.

If Stack can play with more intensity and confidence, he could be a damaging player. I really like the move of him to the half back line.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 12:38 AM

So VERY pleasing re: Stack -- the talent has always been there... long way to go, but hopefully come September we'll all be saying "Harbrow who?"

The Bulldogs Bite
06-03-2011, 12:51 AM
Suffice to say, Skinner is quickly becoming the most intriguing player on our list. Thought he struggled in the intra club a little. Did some impressive things v NM/Geelong, and was close to BOG today. Great to see constant improvement.

Surely has to play next week, to give him every chance to cement a spot in round 1?

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Hill has always had talent, i think every supporter acknowledges that.

Hopefully he is starting to mature in between the ears & really working hard for his AFL career, he is the one guy i still believe, could be an x-factor in finals games.

Great to see Skinner doing well, could be a hidden gem the club has found.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Suffice to say, Skinner is quickly becoming the most intriguing player on our list. Thought he struggled in the intra club a little. Did some impressive things v NM/Geelong, and was close to BOG today. Great to see constant improvement.

Surely has to play next week, to give him every chance to cement a spot in round 1?

This.

The indig. boys sound like they did really well today, with Hill also playing well -- Zeph sounds like an absolute X-factor.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 01:29 AM
Great news re: Hill, I hope he can hold a spot this year, im more of a critic than an applauder when it comes to him but the signs are looking good.

comrade
06-03-2011, 02:02 AM
Reports suggest that we used a full bench vs Freo's 3 plus sub rotation. No suprise we ran over the top if that's the case.

Considering the conditions and the inexperienced make up of the team, I understan why we'd do that but I hope we use next week as a full dress rehersal complete with a 3 man interchange.

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 06:50 AM
The most impressive was Skinner. He was like a jumping jack and impressed for most of the day. Took some lovely high marks. Very nice. Often soared high but sometimes didn't come down with the ball. He is also a nice long kick and smart player.

Next I liked Jones who was always in the thick of the action. Took a nice mark.

Stack got a lot of it early but did typical Stack things (Ie feign a mark, do an airie handpass).

Tutt was also often into the play as was Schoefield.

Hooper played like a fat 2-year old toddler.

Sam Reid and Vesper ran hard.

The wind was not that strong even though only one or two goals were scored into it.

I took some movies of the action but they all turned out pretty poor. But I'll post a link when I have uploaded them. Its a really slow upload rate, Sunday lunch may have a small file ready. As we are all Bulldog tragics we would even look at poor footage rather than none.

chef
06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
https://picasaweb.google.com/2bitlovesongs/FreoVBulldogsNabChallenge?feat=directlink#

Here's some photos taken by a Freo supporter.

Did we get through the game unscathed?

w3design
06-03-2011, 09:55 AM
What impressed me most about Skinner is that in my opinion he is still miles off having any expectation to contribute for us week in week out.

Yesterday's game will be a massive confidence booster and pretty much shows us that he has the talent.

divvydan
06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
https://picasaweb.google.com/2bitlovesongs/FreoVBulldogsNabChallenge?feat=directlink#

Here's some photos taken by a Freo supporter.

Did we get through the game unscathed?

Looks like The People's Beard copped a boot https://picasaweb.google.com/2bitlovesongs/FreoVBulldogsNabChallenge?feat=directlink#558062564617691552 2 however, I'm sure it's rugged enough to take hits like that.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Looks like The People's Beard copped a boot https://picasaweb.google.com/2bitlovesongs/FreoVBulldogsNabChallenge?feat=directlink#558062564617691552 2 however, I'm sure it's rugged enough to take hits like that.

I have no doubts the beard got revenge at some point through the match.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 12:48 PM
From reading all the reports, I am just a touch excited! It would appear we have some depth finally - the younger boys came back from a slow start to over-run Freo in the last quarter. I know it's only a practice game, but hey, I am just a little bit 'cited! :D

w3design
06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
From reading all the reports, I am just a touch excited! It would appear we have some depth finally - the younger boys came back from a slow start to over-run Freo in the last quarter. I know it's only a practice game, but hey, I am just a little bit 'cited! :D

Just a little bit?

I'm freakin' pumped. This is the year.

Ghost Dog
06-03-2011, 01:20 PM
The ground looks mint! Like a pool table. Better than Etihad haha

Will Minson. How was he? Ready for a big year.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Howard named in the best. Love to hear more about his game.

Hotdog60
06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Just looking at a few photos of the game and thought to myself that this is a giant leap.
http://cdn2.slatterymedia.com/thumbs/800/2011/03/05/224381.jpg

Mofra
06-03-2011, 03:15 PM

He supposedly lacks the tank to play out a full game at AFL level - but given he has rucked and played forward, he sounds versatile enough to be a sub.

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Here are some clips:

http://www.mediafire.com/?f4zncsqjuc152tm
http://www.mediafire.com/?l39nu107ulkrlr8

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1217/anotherjonesmark.jpg

Download Zeph takes a pass.jpg from FileFactory.com (http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0f57c8/n/Zeph_takes_a_pass.jpg)

ledge
06-03-2011, 03:40 PM
He supposedly lacks the tank to play out a full game at AFL level - but given he has rucked and played forward, he sounds versatile enough to be a sub.

Isnt that what the interchange is for, rarely do players play a full game.

bornadog
06-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Here are some clips:

http://www.mediafire.com/?f4zncsqjuc152tm
http://www.mediafire.com/?l39nu107ulkrlr8

Thanks for that, I downloaded and watched. Gives you an idea on the conditions and the ground.

Mofra
06-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Isnt that what the interchange is for, rarely do players play a full game.
So we play blokes who aren't fit enough?
No, the interchange gives fit blokes a short rest.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Just a little bit?

I'm freakin' pumped. This is the year.

Gus, I love your enthusiasm and believe me, I feel the same - just trying to keep a lid on it so we float under the radar ;)

w3design
06-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Gus, I love your enthusiasm and believe me, I feel the same - just trying to keep a lid on it so we float under the radar ;)

I'll keep a lid on it on bigfooty, but this is our club's online forum. We can get as hyped up as we want because there are no nosey opposition supporters butting in :cool:

AndrewP6
06-03-2011, 07:25 PM
After the letdown of 2010, my lid is nailed on.

GVGjr
06-03-2011, 07:26 PM
So we play blokes who aren't fit enough?
No, the interchange gives fit blokes a short rest.

Even the young players should be able to play 3 quarters as a minimum so I agree their fitness is very important.

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 07:36 PM
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5986/murphontheinterchange.jpg

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1217/anotherjonesmark.jpg

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2641/highflyers.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7350/howardandmitch.jpg

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 07:41 PM
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4624/huddleatstartofgame.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2120/hudsonwallisandvesper.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1503/hudsonwallisandvesper1.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3020/interchange.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8030/joneskicksalonggoal.jpg

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 08:23 PM
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4348/joshgoesin.jpg

IMG]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8452/kickingonthewing.jpg[/IMG]

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5850/libbahandpasstojoshtogo.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/849/libbainatussle.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7469/libbaontheboundary.jpg

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/940/libbareadytopass.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8499/molespassestohooper.jpg

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 08:58 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/103/moleswaitsforthebounce.jpg

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/4720/mulliganflies.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/4443/mulliganorgrant.jpg

http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/2723/murphkickstoskinner.jpg

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5986/murphontheinterchange.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8066/nearhalftime.jpg

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7012/nicehandpassinthecentre.jpg

Ghost Dog
06-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Big nails. and superglue.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 09:04 PM

just a lil bit 'cited gotta love footy being back :)

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 09:10 PM
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/1909/ontheboundaryinterchang.jpg

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/3113/panosreadytohandpasstoh.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8854/rougharrivesonthescene.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8348/tuttskickresultsinagoal.jpg

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9743/sandilandsgetsthetap.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4483/skinnerhasashotdownnons.jpg

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/882/stackw.jpg

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 09:17 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7434/stackpicksup.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8396/zephhandpassgivesoffago.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2609/tutttakesamark.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/8348/tuttskickresultsinagoal.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9759/wardhahnhillmilligan.jpg

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/8420/wardkicksforward.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3922/willwinsthisone.jpg

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 09:35 PM
I'll keep a lid on it on bigfooty, but this is our club's online forum. We can get as hyped up as we want because there are no nosey opposition supporters butting in :cool:

Too true - go for it!

always right
06-03-2011, 09:50 PM
[QUOTE=James Cuming;201879]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/4624/huddleatstartofgame.jpg

Nice gesture from the boys letting the mascot join the huddle.

The Adelaide Connection
06-03-2011, 11:03 PM
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4483/skinnerhasashotdownnons.jpg

What is that behind the goal? Giant Ned Kelly helmet? Guy in a log costume?

GVGjr
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks for all the pics JC.

BulldogBelle
07-03-2011, 12:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_PnVYXMOro&hd=1

BulldogBelle
07-03-2011, 01:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDatmSlbNM

During the first quarter when kicking against the wind Jones took a nice mark on the flank. He took a shot for goal and the ball went straight, but right at the goal-mouth the wind took hold of it and blew it out-wards.

You could see the ball go straight for the goals then curve away. Suddenly this black Bulldogs player jumped a mile into the air taking a spectacular mark. Everybody went OOHH!! Did you see that what a mark! It was Zeph. He went back to kick the goal but missed. This is what is on the above Youtube video, but alas you can't see it too well.

It was the single most spectacular and memorable play for the day.

w3design
07-03-2011, 01:55 AM

Zephaniah!!!!!

Ozza
07-03-2011, 10:10 AM
How much is Bruce McAvaney going to love Zephaniah Skinner?!
He will quite simply wet himself if Zeph debuts on a Friday night game and goes ok.
Loves an indigenous player who can do the spectacular.

comrade
07-03-2011, 10:54 AM
How much is Bruce McAvaney going to love Zephaniah Skinner?!
He will quite simply wet himself if Zeph debuts on a Friday night game and goes ok.
Loves an indigenous player who can do the spectacular.

I hope he debuts against Melbourne. The rest of the commentary team will need ponchos when Jurrah and Skinner go near the ball.

Happy Days
07-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all your work JC.

Scraggers
07-03-2011, 01:03 PM

During the first quarter when kicking against the wind Jones took a nice mark on the flank. He took a shot for goal and the ball went straight, but right at the goal-mouth the wind took hold of it and blew it out-wards.

You could see the ball go straight for the goals then curve away. Suddenly this black Bulldogs player jumped a mile into the air taking a spectacular mark. Everybody went OOHH!! Did you see that what a mark! It was Zeph. He went back to kick the goal but missed. This is what is on the above Youtube video, but alas you can't see it too well.

I appreciate the feedback on the Bunbury game, particularly after the weekend I've had but I'm sorry to be the PC police ... Could we use a better adjective than this please ... Some (myself included) might find this offensive.

LostDoggy
07-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Funny footage on the Channel Ten news this morning of Tutt (reported as anyway) leading the team out on to the ground, only to realise after nearly falling over it that the old style wire boundary gate was still shut.:D

chef
07-03-2011, 02:27 PM
How did Mulligan go JC?

LostDoggy
07-03-2011, 02:27 PM

WTF!!? Are you trying to get a response from people here?

strebla
07-03-2011, 02:29 PM
I appreciate the feedback on the Bunbury game, particularly after the weekend I've had but I'm sorry to be the PC police ... Could we use a better adjective than this please ... Some (myself included) might find this offensive.

I was thinking the same thing myself Scraggers I really did not enjoy that quote at all!!

Desipura
07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing myself Scraggers I really did not enjoy that quote at all!!
Poor choice of words, no doubt.

Mantis
07-03-2011, 02:33 PM
How did Mulligan go JC?

I had heard that he competed well and beat his opponents, but his ball use wasn't the best.

LostDoggy
07-03-2011, 03:53 PM

I've always said, we're a club who can get as excited as we like, because we all know we can handle the disappointment if we must — we're all still here, right?

Ghost Dog
07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
What about Barlow? Been a while since we had such a Beasly like shock of blonde locks at the club!
His running is rated pretty highly.

bornadog
07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
I had heard that he competed well and beat his opponents, but his ball use wasn't the best.

Report in the paper that he did a groin?

BulldogBelle
07-03-2011, 07:26 PM
How did Mulligan go JC?

Mulligan had a bit of speed and spring in his step. Looks a bit like Grant. I didn't notice him much.

I think that only white guys take offense when you call a black guy a black guy. When I saw Zeph take that spectacular mark, in the first instance I could only recognise that it was a black guy. Didn't know who it was at first, just that he was black - that was a standout. I can't say that he was indigenous because for all I know he may have been from Africa. What would you 'black' sensitive people have me do, just button my lip or say that I don't just yet recognise him?

Most black guys I know are proud to be black. President of USA is black, fastest man and woman in the world are black, biggest TV show host in the world is black, world's biggest movie box office attractions are black and so the list goes on. Remember when Nicky Winmar pulled up his jumper and pointed to his skin and said to the world, "I am black and I am proud of it!" Some people need to get their sensitivities straight.

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/sport/images/neil-winmar-pointing-to-his-black-skin-1993.jpg

AndrewP6
07-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I've always said, we're a club who can get as excited as we like, because we all know we can handle the disappointment if we must — we're all still here, right?

Good point, but I'd rather keep it on just the same.

The Underdog
07-03-2011, 08:32 PM
I think that only white guys take offense when you call a black guy a black guy. Most black guys I know are proud to be black. President of USA is black, fastest man and woman in the world are black, biggest TV show host in the world is black, world's biggest movie box office attractions are black and so the list goes on. Remember when Nicky Winmar pulled up his jumper and pointed to his skin and said to the world, "I am black and I am proud of it!" Some people need to get their sensitivities straight.

While I'm not that fussed about delicate sensibilities, the term black in the original context was kind of unnecessary. His skin colour was irrelevant to his deed.
And the reason Winmar needed to make the point was because he was being subjected to incredible racist taunts from Collingwood supporters. My point being that if we don't feel the need to use skin colour as a descriptor then it becomes less of an issue, delicate sensibilities or not.

Sorry for contributing to take the thread off topic.

BulldogBelle
07-03-2011, 08:42 PM
What about Barlow? Been a while since we had such a Beasly like shock of blonde locks at the club!
His running is rated pretty highly.

Barlow did run around a bit but didn't star.

The next most outstanding thing in the match apart from Zeph was Jones. Jones held onto many of his marks and took several high contested marks.

I think that the difference between Fremantle and us were that we moved the ball with more skill and precision and we had dominant forwards in Zeph and Jones.

BulldogBelle
07-03-2011, 09:05 PM
While I'm not that fussed about delicate sensibilities, the term black in the original context was kind of unnecessary. His skin colour was irrelevant to his deed.
And the reason Winmar needed to make the point was because he was being subjected to incredible racist taunts from Collingwood supporters. My point being that if we don't feel the need to use skin colour as a descriptor then it becomes less of an issue, delicate sensibilities or not.

Sorry for contributing to take the thread off topic.

His skin colour was directly related to what I saw. I saw a black man take that mark. It was the most obvious and notable thing. Initially I didn't recognise who it was but I knew he was black and everybody else did too.

Your statement, "His skin colour was irrelevant to his deed." is a nice little twist, you should be one of those shifty lawyers who tie up witnesses. Nasty piece there. Your statement is meant to make the reader believe that I in the first instance did say that his deed was related to his skin colour. Otherwise why would you mention it. Trying to suggest some racism on my part. It wasn't his deed that was related to his skin colour it was what I saw. What I saw. So your whole argument is based on a false premise.

w3design
07-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Can't we just all get along?

What has been said has been said. JC did not intend there to be any racist interpretation, but it was open to that view all the same. No justification will change that.

Desipura
07-03-2011, 09:19 PM
JC obviously did not mean anything by his comment however when I first read it, it did not read well and it still does not.
Would have been wiser for JC to state that he apologises if it anyone has taken offense as it was not his intention, instead he has gone on the defensive and repeated what he initially said, that was not necessary IMHO

G-Mo77
07-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Anyone see the 7pm Project? They showed Hudson pulling the gate shut when they were running out and Tutt was on the receiving end when he ran into the gate.

The Underdog
07-03-2011, 10:01 PM
His skin colour was directly related to what I saw. I saw a black man take that mark. It was the most obvious and notable thing. Initially I didn't recognise who it was but I knew he was black and everybody else did too.

Your statement, "His skin colour was irrelevant to his deed." is a nice little twist, you should be one of those shifty lawyers who tie up witnesses. Nasty piece there. Your statement is meant to make the reader believe that I in the first instance did say that his deed was related to his skin colour. Otherwise why would you mention it. Trying to suggest some racism on my part. It wasn't his deed that was related to his skin colour it was what I saw. What I saw. So your whole argument is based on a false premise.

I apologise if you think I was trying to be shifty or suggest you were racist. My point was more related to how I feel in general that it would be better if race or skin colour wasn't used as the first point of call in describing people. I understand why you used it in your description, particularly for a new player, at a distance and don't think it was intended in any nasty way.
I think we can end this here and go back to the topic of a game that probably also needs little further discussion.

The Underdog
07-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Anyone see the 7pm Project? They showed Hudson pulling the gate shut when they were running out and Tutt was on the receiving end when he ran into the gate.

Saw it, pretty funny, although glad he wasn't seriously injured. He didn't see it until it was well too late to stop.

boydogs
07-03-2011, 10:04 PM
JC obviously did not mean anything by his comment however when I first read it, it did not read well and it still does not.
Would have been wiser for JC to state that he apologises if it anyone has taken offense as it was not his intention, instead he has gone on the defensive and repeated what he initially said, that was not necessary IMHO

If I was accused of being racist I would get defensive too.

Scraggers
07-03-2011, 10:59 PM
If I was accused of being racist I would get defensive too.

We are getting ahead of ourselves here ... No one has called JC a racist ... But I do believe there are better way to describe an Indigenous footballer than Black.

Both Michael McLean and Neon Davis took great offence to being called 'Black Magic'. The term Black when used to describe Aboriginal people in Australia is derogatory and IMO should not be used as an adjective. It prickles a few hairs on the neck of people for a reason.

In my line of work (Principal of a Primary School in a very low socio-economic area of Perth), I have a lot of Aboriginal friends/colleagues/clients ... If I ever referred to them as 'Black' it would be the end of my career (and my head would not be in the vicinity of my shoulders for too long either)

This is NOT a personal attack. I've met JC twice at WA Bulldog pre-match drinks and have found him to be a nice bloke ... Based on this and JCs previous posts, I would not dream of calling him a racist.

ledge
07-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Term of endearment?? like calling an englishman a pom?

stefoid
07-03-2011, 11:36 PM
Honest question - do aboriginals dislike being called black?

boydogs
07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
In my line of work (Principal of a Primary School in a very low socio-economic area of Perth), I have a lot of Aboriginal friends/colleagues/clients

To me, that's more racist than what JC said. Are you suggesting that because it is a low socio-economic area, there are naturally more aboriginals around?

If I ever referred to them as 'Black' it would be the end of my career (and my head would not be in the vicinity of my shoulders for too long either)

...and that they are violent, too?

aker39
07-03-2011, 11:42 PM
To me, that's more racist than what JC said. Are you suggesting that because it is a low socio-economic area, there are naturally more aboriginals around?

That's not racist, that's factual in WA.

This thread is getting way off topic.

aker39
07-03-2011, 11:43 PM

I think scraggers has answered that.

strebla
08-03-2011, 02:03 AM
Mulligan had a bit of speed and spring in his step. Looks a bit like Grant. I didn't notice him much.

I think that only white guys take offense when you call a black guy a black guy. When I saw Zeph take that spectacular mark, in the first instance I could only recognise that it was a black guy. Didn't know who it was at first, just that he was black - that was a standout. I can't say that he was indigenous because for all I know he may have been from Africa. What would you 'black' sensitive people have me do, just button my lip or say that I don't just yet recognise him?

Most black guys I know are proud to be black. President of USA is black, fastest man and woman in the world are black, biggest TV show host in the world is black, world's biggest movie box office attractions are black and so the list goes on. Remember when Nicky Winmar pulled up his jumper and pointed to his skin and said to the world, "I am black and I am proud of it!" Some people need to get their sensitivities straight.

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/sport/images/neil-winmar-pointing-to-his-black-skin-1993.jpg

Ok I seem to have missed something here the only people on our list of "colour" are indigenous so to even say anything else is wrong and I find it offensive.sorry no excuse for me on that from me not on mate it may not be delibrate but nor is there an excuse !!!

Ghost Dog
08-03-2011, 02:20 AM
Ok I seem to have missed something here the only people on our list of "colour" are indigenous so to even say anything else is wrong and I find it offensive.sorry no excuse for me on that from me not on mate it may not be delibrate but nor is there an excuse !!!

What about the word blackfella. It gets bandied around alot by indig songwriters ( Warumpi band et al ) . Do you find it offensive when they refer to themselves in that way? and is it wrong for me to sing their song? off thread!

Scraggers
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM

As Aker39 stated:-

That's not racist, that's factual in WA.

Unfortunately this is the case ... I have 39% Aboriginal students, 33% students with Visas (half of those on persecution Visas) predominantly from Africa or Asia, 21% new immigrants (again predominantly from Africa or Asia), and only 7% Anglo Saxon students.

...and that they are violent, too?
I was being facetious ... my point was, that the Indigenous people I deal with on a daily basis would be very upset if I referred to them as 'Black'.

the banker
08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Interesting job Scaggers. Early talent scout too?

mjp
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM

It depends who they are, who you are and what your relationship is with them.

It is often a term of endearment amongst indigenous youths when speaking to one another - whether or you are able to use the term as well? A lot of factors determine that.

Scraggers
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Interesting job Scaggers. Early talent scout too?

I've taught quite a few current AFL footballers mainly in my country postings (Jarryd, Cale, and Mitch Morton & Nat Fyfe) and lots of past players (too many to name).

From my current school I have lots of relatives of Lewis, Neville, and Leroy Jetta and Cruize Garlett; a number of which have already had talent scouts come and watch them play.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
It depends who they are, who you are and what your relationship is with them.

It is often a term of endearment amongst indigenous youths when speaking to one another - whether or you are able to use the term as well? A lot of factors determine that.

This. The 'n' word is bandied about in rap music, and often used by my african-american mates amongst themselves (this slang actually started off being used in an ironic sense in various '70s/'80s race-identity movements, but has of course been subsumed to become part of a certain 'youth' or 'gang-lite' subculture and stripped of any political significance -- a 'term of endearment' almost, to use mjp's description), but you wouldn't use it if you weren't part of the community, as it may very easily (and most likely) cause offence.

Anyway, my point is that language is inexact, limited, can be very loaded, and is very contextual (as we have all seen, and as mjp has alluded to), so due care should be exercised when discussing something as sensitive as race.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Is that an apolgy? Worst justification I've heard since Fonzi said he was "wr..wrrr....wwrong".
Let's just say the James Cuming is still stuck in the era when his namesake walked the earth in the inner west!

GVGjr
08-03-2011, 06:27 PM
All, unfortunately I'll have to close this thread. The reference that James Cumming made isn't really of an acceptable nature despite some of the arguments and reasoning put forward.

In future we will take a stronger stance towards people calling indigenous players black.