PDA

View Full Version : Class of 1999

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Reading through the Hun today (can't find a link but its in the middle of the paper)

An article on Gilbee Daring to Dream.

Talking about sitting down for breakfast back in 1999. Most of these players are now on target to play their 200th game;

2011 Listed
Pick 13 - Robert Murphy (188 Games)
Pick 32 - Daniel Giansiracusa (193 Games)
Pick 37 - Mitch Hahn (181 games)
Pick 43 - Linsday Gilbee (189 Games)
Pick 66 - Ryan Hargrave (186 Games)

Casualties of 1999
Pick 35 - Patrick Wiggins (12 games)
Pick 58 - Patrick Bowden (50 games)

Wow, we did damn well out of 1999. 12 Years on and theres gunna be quite a few milestones.

Is this our most successful draft in history?

boydogs
06-03-2011, 05:23 PM

I would think so. No super high picks either - #13, then the rest outside the top 30.

boydogs
06-03-2011, 05:43 PM
I would think so. No super high picks either - #13, then the rest outside the top 30.

Actually, I forgot about 2010 :D

22 - Mitch Wallis - will be a star
28 - Justin Sherman - proven at AFL level
41 - Tom Liberatore - will be a star
57 - Nathan Djerrkura - proven at AFL level
74 - Jayden Schofield - good early signs
88 - Zephaniah Skinner - good early signs
89 - Tom Hill - too early to call
102 - Brodie Moles - proven at AFL level
110 - Andrew Hooper - too early to call

AndrewP6
06-03-2011, 05:49 PM

Proven that he might get a game, that's about it at this stage.

boydogs
06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Proven that he might get a game, that's about it at this stage.

He's no 100 game player, but a much surer thing to get games than your average pick 57 18 year old.

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I think the 2010 draft is more of a 'watch this space' in 3-4 years time ;)

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Yes, I actually read the paper this morning and was pretty impressed with the 1999 draft - good job! Like others, I think 2010 is shaping to be a pretty good one too!

The Coon Dog
06-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I think Geelong did well in 1999 too.

Cameron Ling 225
Joel Corey 213
Corey Enright 199
Paul Chapman 199

The Underdog
06-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I think Geelong did well in 1999 too.

Cameron Ling 225
Joel Corey 213
Corey Enright 199
Paul Chapman 199

Impressive. Our 99 draft is probably (I say probably because I can't be arsed researching it) our best and it's not even the best one from that draft.

azabob
06-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Hopefully the Cordy, Roughead, Jones draft will also be spoken about in glowing terms in 5 seasons time.

mjp
06-03-2011, 08:41 PM

What have they proven though Griff? That there original clubs are happy to move on without them?

So if we change them to 'has something to prove' and the 'will be a star' to 'good early signs' you are on the money.

boydogs
06-03-2011, 11:52 PM
What have they proven though Griff? That there original clubs are happy to move on without them?

So if we change them to 'has something to prove' and the 'will be a star' to 'good early signs' you are on the money.

There are plenty of draft picks north of 50 that never grace an AFL field. The fact that they have all played games before removes the doubt as to whether they will develop into players capable of competing at that level.

As for their prior clubs being happy to let them go, Geelong were chock full of small forward/mid types, with Byrnes, Varcoe, Stokes, Chapman and Johnson around. They would also be pushing their salary cap. Brisbane also had salary cap trouble, and Sherman had issues with the club in the way they tried to vary his role in the side. He wanted to go, and it had to be here not Sydney - Brisbane were far from in control of that move.

Sockeye Salmon
07-03-2011, 12:50 AM
There are plenty of draft picks north of 50 that never grace an AFL field. The fact that they have all played games before removes the doubt as to whether they will develop into players capable of competing at that level.

Patrick Wiggins played AFL, so did Nick Bruton. That proves nothing at all.

Sedat
07-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Our class of 2007 is also looking pretty sharp, with Grant, Ward and Wood all critical players and permanent fixtures in our starting 18 for the next 5-8 seasons. Add in Sam Reid, who hopefully will get a decent run at it now that he is over his shoulder recos and groin problems.

boydogs
07-03-2011, 03:08 AM
Patrick Wiggins played AFL, so did Nick Bruton. That proves nothing at all.

It proves we're at least getting Wiggins & Bruton quality ;)

Dry Rot
07-03-2011, 03:59 AM
Reading through the Hun today (can't find a link but its in the middle of the paper)

Talking about sitting down for breakfast back in 1999. Most of these players are now on target to play their 200th game;

2011 Listed

Casualties of 1999

Wow, we did damn well out of 1999. 12 Years on and theres gunna be quite a few milestones.

It was a great draft for us, but IMO most are now past their best now.

The Underdog
07-03-2011, 09:32 AM

As for their prior clubs being happy to let them go, Geelong were chock full of small forward/mid types, with Byrnes, Varcoe, Stokes, Chapman and Johnson around. They would also be pushing their salary cap. Brisbane also had salary cap trouble, and Sherman had issues with the club in the way they tried to vary his role in the side. He wanted to go, and it had to be here not Sydney - Brisbane were far from in control of that move.

The only thing it proves is that Djerkurra isn't as good a player as Byrnes or Varcoe. So what does it say if he's good enough for our side? Sherman may not have liked his role but he was poor in a poor Lions side last year (admittedly good the year before).

It was a great draft for us, but IMO most are now past their best now.

But isn't that true by virtue that they have all had 11 years as AFL footballers and in particular Murphy and Hargrave have had some pretty major injuries. I don't think too many teams are relying on their 99 draft to keep them competitive.

EasternWest
07-03-2011, 09:41 AM

2011 Listed

Casualties of 1999

There'd have to be question marks on whether Hargrave will reach 200 games. I hope he does, but his injury is obviously pretty bad.

If Hahn reaches 200 games, we are going backwards.

The only thing it proves is that Djerkurra isn't as good a player as Byrnes or Varcoe. So what does it say if he's good enough for our side. Sherman may not have liked his role but he was poor in a poor Lions side last year (admittedly good the year before).

Hmm, I get what you mean, but I would think there's no shame in being behind those two players. And you can throw in Stokes too. So that's three guys who would most probably be walk up starts at any other club.

I'm willing to see what DJ throws up. Benefit of the doubt etc. Time will tell I guess.

The Underdog
07-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Hmm, I get what you mean, but I would think there's no shame in being behind those two players. And you can throw in Stokes too. So that's three guys who would most probably be walk up starts at any other club.

I'm willing to see what DJ throws up. Benefit of the doubt etc. Time will tell I guess.

I'm not writing him off, but to automatically say he's a win for us, which is what Gogriff was saying, is wrong. Guys like Byrnes and Varcoe have had pretty serious form fluctuations over time and at no point was DJ a serious alternative. He has a long way to go to prove himself as an AFL footballer.

Greystache
07-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm not writing him off, but to automatically say he's a win for us, which is what Gogriff was saying, is wrong. Guys like Byrnes and Varcoe have had pretty serious form fluctuations over time and at no point was DJ a serious alternative. He has a long way to go to prove himself as an AFL footballer.

Gamble was ahead of him too and he was delisted at the end of 2010.

boydogs
07-03-2011, 10:34 PM
The only thing it proves is that Djerkurra isn't as good a player as Byrnes or Varcoe. So what does it say if he's good enough for our side?

That we don't have Byrnes or Varcoe. Same for Hawthorn & Skipper.

Sherman may not have liked his role but he was poor in a poor Lions side last year (admittedly good the year before).

He would acknowledge that. He wouldn't be satisfied with another year like 2010 this year.

I was really only saying that when you select a mature age player, it is more of a known quantity than an 18 year old. We know he can compete at AFL level because he has done it before. There is a base level of performance you can expect, and then if there is additional development, improvement in a new environment with more opportunities or success in trying him in another role, it's a bonus.

The Adelaide Connection
07-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Gamble was ahead of him too and he was delisted at the end of 2010.

Personally (on a bit of a tangent) I think Gamble was a very good pickup for St. Kilda and I had raised the idea of us going after him in the past (though he wasn't really what we were looking for). I think he ended up being one of those players at Geelong that they didn't need/want but didn't want anyone else to have. When injuries gave him a chance he was normally pretty good value for them and he will probably add a few goals to the Saints each week.

I think that's how I felt about Everitt in the end (and may feel about Josh Hill if he doesn't have the sort of year we all suspect he can have).

bornadog
23-11-2021, 06:25 PM
Turned out pretty good in the end.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FE2DuW0VcAIqcXP?format=jpg&name=medium

GVGjr
23-11-2021, 06:30 PM
Turned out pretty good in the end.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FE2DuW0VcAIqcXP?format=jpg&name=medium

Are they missing Wiggins?

Axe Man
23-11-2021, 06:55 PM
Are they missing Wiggins?

That photo looks to be some years after 99, I'm guessing Wiggins was gone by then.